Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      I'm not so sure. I think you are technically correct, but, for example, ensemble models (that combine models) normally involve the machine itself choosing the correct combination of individual algorithms - so couldn't you really say that the ensemble model has chosen the outcome algorithm rather than the researcher?

I'm not a purist by any means, and definitely not expert enough to be, just prefer the core idea of if the machine is doing the core work of outcoming the new algorithm independent of the inputer then thats AI enough.

Similarly with standard deep learning models. It's a small percentage of technician input and a major percentage of the machine doing the work. It's not perfectly AI, but it's what we have today.

Narrow AI admittedly rather than Generalised AI.
      I finished off a 4 hour podcast on the topic today which featured a number of different experts who have contributed to a new book by Brockman, decent listen but obviously hard to stage engaged for that long.

It's the policy, risk and safety around AI that I find particularly intriguing. I'm probably a skeptic that there will be innate alignment if the machines cross the threshold but I do find it interesting that so many intellectuals dismiss the safety concerns pretty flippantly
      Pinker for example: https://www.edge.org/response-detail/26243

Stuart Russell pretty decent on the scaremongering, lots of interesting thoughts of someone on the forefront of research: https://www.wired.com/2015/05/artifi...neer-concerns/

Comment

Comment

Mia's age snookered by 14 days

She doesn't appear to care, off to Lurgan in morn for 3 weeks

Hi Regina,

I hope you are well and don’t mind me getting in touch. The Voice Kids will be returning to our screens on ITV in 2020 and we’re looking for super talented singers and duo’s aged 7-14* who have what it takes to take over The Voice Kids stage.

I’ve come across a video of your daughter and her friend Mia on Irish Daily Mirror Facebook page and I wanted to get in touch with you to see if they would be interested in applying for the show? I would really appreciate if you could pass my details onto Mia’s parent’s as I would love to find out if she can sing as I can only see her playing the guitar on the video.

Please feel free to contact me on here or you can call me 0161 952 1079 or email Joanna.hunt@itv.com

Look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks,
          Jo

Your personal information and that of your child will be collected and processed in accordance with our Privacy Notice at https://www.itvstudios.com/privacy-n...utors-audience.

A child friendly version of this same notice is available to view at:

*We can also see 6 year olds if they turn 7 by 8th December 2019 and 14 yr olds if they are still of age until 30th April 2020.
          Her sky-ness
          © 5starpool

Comment

I've been listening a lot to these hiphop collaborations by amerigo gazaway. Some cracking ones with nina simone and lauryn hill, mos def and marvin gaye. Listened to this one tonight, loved this song.

the blurb

"More than just a clever title, Fela Soul is an 8-track, 33 minute journey into the world of afrobeat rhythms, funky horn riffs, and classic hip-hop gems. Using dozens of hand-picked samples from the Nigerian instrumentalist and political figure Fela Kuti, and 8 carefully-chosen acapellas from the Native Tongue rap trio De La Soul, Amerigo seamlessly intertwines the two into something completely new and original."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFDDwaiSFJo
            Last edited by Trippie; 16-07-19, 21:14.

Comment

I'm not so sure. I think you are technically correct, but, for example, ensemble models (that combine models) normally involve the machine itself choosing the correct combination of individual algorithms - so couldn't you really say that the ensemble model has chosen the outcome algorithm rather than the researcher?

I'm not a purist by any means, and definitely not expert enough to be, just prefer the core idea of if the machine is doing the core work of outcoming the new algorithm independent of the inputer then thats AI enough.

Similarly with standard deep learning models. It's a small percentage of technician input and a major percentage of the machine doing the work. It's not perfectly AI, but it's what we have today.

Narrow AI admittedly rather than Generalised AI.
              The woman in mit who build the predictor for blackholes I think used ai elements. Opens up long distance Astro navigation potential apparently - little more interesting than document parsing and automation of excel tasks. I think that’s classed as robotic process automation.

All getting a bit fuzzy in the lines and they are related fields and tool sets I know but if your going to push it out as uni literature a quick google to fact check might be wise.

There are some pretty interesting companies starting to use it in Dublin for r&d - putting it into production code is still a huge step forward apparently.

I do know a guy who might be happy to chat to you about it if your interested? Very interesting guy and smart as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                Noticed some of my potato plants are growing fruit that look something like tomatoes. New to me
                I've heard of a hybrid plant on the market that grows potatoes in the soil and Aubergines off the plant. Is it possible it is one of those?
                Edit
                Ah no I can see the picture now they are just normal potato fruits, they are poisonous so don't eat them.

Picked up our first swarm of bees tonight will be a few scary moments between now and when we have them settled in.
                Last edited by Strewelpeter; 16-07-19, 21:55.
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Speaking of plants and such, here in heidelberg in a lot of the small local parks, (one being less than 50m from my house) they have planted veg gardens around the perimeters. local one has a load of berries growing, fruits, tomatoes and some weird beans ive never seen before.

I feel guilty breaking off a chain of red currants or a few blackberries but the germans seem to stop by hourly to raid it. Guess raiding something not theirs is in their blood.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                      Picked up our first swarm of bees tonight will be a few scary moments between now and when we have them settled in.
                      Are you going Brianmc or making a stab at a Guinness world record bee beard?

I came across Tiger Nut milk today. Had never heard of Tiger Nuts (they're not nuts).

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                        Are you going Brianmc or making a stab at a Guinness world record bee beard?

Bee beard >>>> honey

Daughters have both done beekeeping courses and one has now got the whole set up. Starting with one hive , there are few thousand acres of heather on my doorstep do we'll see how it goes.
                        The whole thing is very fascinating and whatever work is involved will fall to me anyway.

Comment

I'm.not sure that astro navigation is actually more interesting than document parsing, or other types of robotic process automation! Although admittedly I'm obsessed with using natural language processing at the moment. And think they're both true AI within AIs current inceptualisation.

Would love to chat to whoever - DM?
                          One we have cracked pretty much and one we most likely won’t know if we have it right in our lifetime. It’s meant to be you academics who the dreamers.

NLP is very interesting alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                            Bee beard >>>> honey

Daughters have both done beekeeping courses and one has now got the whole set up. Starting with one hive , there are few thousand acres of heather on my doorstep do we'll see how it goes.
                            The whole thing is very fascinating and whatever work is involved will fall to me anyway.
                            Best of luck with your good-for-what-ails-you-Manuka-ain't-shit-Irish-heather-honey. Was in a eco type shop today in Drumcondra and their local Dublin honey was €7-something for a small jar.

Actually reminds me of a gag by comedian Tim Vine. "I got stung by a bee the other day, £15 for a jar of honey!"

And since you like Milton Jones, "I'll tell you what's a dangerous insect, that hepatitis bee."

...I need to go to bed, started the day on here arguing with PSV and him trolling and finishing it trying to think of more bee jokes.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                              Read the third paragraph first and only.

FFS hitch. You can do better than that. Jesus wept
                              Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                              Reads like an AI language bot wrote it. So many really short sentences that aren't actually sentences (like this one). Makes the whole thing very breathless and without flow.
                              The above critiques are spot on. If anything newbie's is a little too soft.

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                              I really liked it Hitch. You have a flair for humour in your writing.
                              This is just wrong.

EDIT: I should say that I found the article to be very poorly written. Not just on an objective standard but by Hitch's standards. I know I do not agree with you on much Hitch but I've always found your writing style to be cogent and accessible. This just seems to be a bit of an aberration.
                              Last edited by Kayroo; 17-07-19, 07:04.
                              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

There's 18 people on my team. It could be done by 12 if we got our straightforward automation working - really simple stuff that checks for error conditions, performs the standard remediation for that condition, then raises an alert to humans if the error doesn't clear. We're all working on that as hard as we can. The company's growing too fast for it to be handled any other way.

AI that only requires a programmer/babysitter could bring the whole global team down to 6. Maybe our employer would find new work for us.
                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

We have a small Family supermarket at home, the stock control and ordering is all automated.
                                  A right few levels below AI but its an excellent real world example of automation. We set stock levels of say Domestos, a delivery comes from Supplier and gets beeped when unloaded into store on a Barcode Scanner then packed onto Shelf and Beeped again so we know it got that far.
                                  When it is scanned out at Till the stock level adjusts down, when it hits 4 bottles say then an order gets placed to supplier to send another box in their next delivery. Invoicing and paperwork all done electronically, not much room hopefully for human error. We get to run a very lean inventory as supplier is 5 mins away so we can go little and often.
                                  Saving a Managers Salary the past 3 years, plus staff training is minimal, as people come and go makes little impact to the running of the place.
                                  Has meant my Dad's Quality of Life has shot up exponentially, he can stand and have the bants with customers, waltz in and out as he feels like. He used to be swamped with paperwork, trade was mediocre cos poor stock is the opposite of what convenience shops need. Same for Year end accounts, wages, all done 95% automatically.
                                  Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                  https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Don't normally get hayfever but it's been really bad this summer. Seems to be affecting my sleep too, like I;m having sleep apnoea.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                      Don't normally get hayfever but it's been really bad this summer. Seems to be affecting my sleep too, like I;m having sleep apnoea.
                                      Been a few years since I suffered this badly. Chemist said that it's just a really bad year. Gave me Lorat 10mg antihistamine tablets. Been fine since.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                        I contacted 3 on Twitter and they sent me a link to get it unlocked.

Per above it shouldn't be a problem hopefully, wouldn't be dropping money to get it unlocked at that price as it's probably only worth about €120
                                        Got it unlocked, pretty straight forward, cheers for the heads up folks.
                                        "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

I never had it before and was going around like a zombie from sleep deprivation. Got some Betnesol steroid drops from the GP and they are working a treat. Though I'm only supposed to take them for 3 weeks and then move on to another inhaler.
                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Also I've been on the lookout for these but haven't spotted them in any off licence or supermarket, people said Aldi but I popped into one last night and couldn't find them has anybody spotted them for sale?

Comment

I used to suffer badly from hay fever. I found it very helpful cycling through the different types of anti histamine as they all lose effectiveness quite quickly.

Comment

Also I've been on the lookout for these but haven't spotted them in any off licence or supermarket, people said Aldi but I popped into one last night and couldn't find them has anybody spotted them for sale?

All the big chain off-licences have it here. Not much help to you in Rennes.
                                                Have done wine and food colouring maybe

Comment

Iceland advertised selling it when I searched interwebs, they have a few Irish shops
                                                  Last edited by Guest; 17-07-19, 09:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                    Isn't he Kellyanne Conway's husband?

Must be some craic over the breakfast table.
                                                    I'd say breakfast is unreal atm: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...city-1.3959049

He was also with Laura Ingraham at one stage, loves a right wing woman clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                      All the big chain off-licences have it here. Not much help to you in Rennes.
                                                      Have done wine and food colouring maybe
                                                      That's gas that it's booze and people think it's Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                        Iceland advertised selling it when I searched interwebs, they have a few Irish shops
                                                        Yeah had a look online but when you click into Molloy's for example they are out of stock, I've tried multiple O'Briens but no sign either.

Comment

On a seperate note whoever said Stranger Things season 3 got better you liar jaysus it was utterly woeful.

Comment

That's gas that it's booze and people think it's Hitch
                                                            Lol
                                                            Not sure what my brain did there.
                                                            This site suggests Aldi or Iceland are the place to check

Comment

They are on sale in most supermarkets in the section with tampons and other female items.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                They are on sale in most supermarkets in the section with tampons and other female items.

Comment

Are we meeting on the high seas for our customary beverages this year?
                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

This place in Tralee apparently stocks them - Get Dobby to pick you up a few next time he's home or they also deliver for only 9 quid

Comment

I see Gholimoli won the WSOP.

Comment

GFYK

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                        This place in Tralee apparently stocks them - Get Dobby to pick you up a few next time he's home or they also deliver for only 9 quid

https://nutsaboutwine.ie/shop/alska-...r-500ml-e2-99/
                                                                        Noted.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                        I see Gholimoli won the WSOP.
                                                                        Nice chap.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

https://nutsaboutwine.ie/shop/alska-...r-500ml-e2-99/
                                                                          Wouldnt lower myself to enter that kip willingly. Careca or Keane is your man.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                            Wouldnt lower myself to enter that kip willingly. Careca or Keane is your man.
                                                                            Kerry?

Comment

Kerrys the second best place in Ireland. Second only to Dublin.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                Kerrys the second best place in Ireland. Second only to Dublin.
                                                                                This redeems you for your Beatles blasphemy.
                                                                                Going forward I will only post in Beatles lyrics until that abhorrent post is gone from my memory .
                                                                                Last edited by Solksjaer!; 17-07-19, 13:33.

Comment

Did Anyone else watch the Amazon TV show The Patriot?

Its a few years old and I'd expect it would appeal to a lot of people here so I'm surprised I never noticed it being mentioned.
                                                                                  It's a sort of Coenesque black comedy, I thought S01 was great there is a second I haven't seen yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                    Going forward I will only post in Beatles lyrics until that abhorrent post is gone from my memory .
                                                                                    Will be a major improvement from the horrible dad jokes

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
                                                                                      Will be a major improvement from the horrible dad jokes
                                                                                      For the benefit of mr Kunt there will be a show tonight on Dad Jokes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                        South Kerrys the second best place in Ireland. Second only to Dublin.
                                                                                        .

Comment

as you get older
                                                                                          losing your hair
                                                                                          not too long from now
                                                                                          will you still think all scousers are a fucking swine
                                                                                          vent when Raoul Duke talks about wine?

If Hitch is drunk posting at quarter to three
                                                                                          will you ask for more?
                                                                                          Will you love HJ, sieg heil beside D.Crane
                                                                                          when your 64?
                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                            as you get older
                                                                                            losing your hair
                                                                                            not too long from now
                                                                                            will you still think all scousers are a fucking swine
                                                                                            vent when Raoul Duke talks about wine?

If Hitch is drunk posting at quarter to three
                                                                                            will you ask for more?
                                                                                            Will you love HJ, sieg heil beside D.Crane
                                                                                            when your 64?
                                                                                            The long and winding Raoul ?
                                                                                            HJ don't make it bad.

Denny Crane yer in my ears and in my eyes

Comment

From me to you, you'll have a hard day's night trying to do that 8 days a week.
                                                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

"According to our foreign minister, Europe made 11 commitments, none of which they abided by. We abided by our commitments and even beyond them. Now that we've begun to reduce our commitments, they oppose it. How insolent! You didn't abide by your commitments!" Khamenei said, according to his website.
                                                                                                Iran using Civ foreign diplomacy

Comment

All you need is Lao

Comment

While my Guitar Wanker Gently Weeps

(GFYL)

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                      Paging Kayroo..

She is right, but for the wrong reasons.

Why am I being paged???

Comment

is this a big a pain in the arse commute wise as I think?

Missus likes it but I dont think I could do a 3+ hour commute every day
                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Iran using Civ foreign diplomacy
                                                                                                          Trading up for uranium when your playing catch up is a bit of a nightmare alright

Comment

basically as it doesn't make sense that the rule would be applied as she described. Whats at play here? Poorly drafted legislation? Misunderstanding? Other?
                                                                                                            It'll be overturned on appeal. It's a terrible TERRIBLE decision. But not at all surprising, if you follow my meaning.

Comment

As someone who does 1000km or so a week, don't do a 3hr commute to yourself unless you need to would be my default position.

If I was asked 2 years ago, my opinion would have been quite different but having experienced walking to work/college for a year and then returning to a long commute, there is no comparison. I would never recommend the latter again.

My only caveat would be that I think public transport is far more advantageous than driving, the latter is more mentally draining even if it's more comfortable.

To me it's very much a case that you don't realise the value until it's gone as well as how much do you value your time. Just my opinion of having done both.

Just spotted GAB, plenty of variables but if 3hr+ is the average, it's a no brainer

Comment

Don't forget the bee problem in Newcastle!

Comment

yes, I follow.
                                                                                                                  I don’t

Comment

Wouldn’t one way to avoid the weigh in super weight loss be to have the weigh-in right before the fight starts? Do your ring walk, weigh in on the mat? Avoids the temptation to shed for it.

Comment

Just lost out on a house beside where i live and have limited our search to Rathcoole as furthest place down the road where would move and still cycle to work. Newcastle would be a stretch too far for commute to town IMO

Comment

I enjoyed this.
                                                                                                                        Fintan O'Toole on Rod Liddle's latest book

SPOILER

Fintan O'Toole

Wed 17 Jul 2019 07.30 BST Last modified on Wed 17 Jul 2019 10.16 BST

“Never,” Rod Liddle writes in his jeremiad on the “betrayal” of Brexit, “have so many blameless people in this country been held in such contempt, or been subject to such vilification by an elite.” Really? Who wrote in 2014 of Britain as “a nation of broken families clamouring about their entitlements siring ill-educated and undisciplined kids unfamiliar with the concept of right and wrong”? Who described with relish “the hulking fat tattooed chavmonkey standing in the queue at Burger King”? Who characterised the British masses as inhabiting “a dumbed-down culture”, being in thrall to “the background fugue of idiocy, the moronic inferno, of celebrity fuckstories”, and spending their time “watching TV, masturbating to pornography on the internet, getting drunk”? That would be Liddle in his last book, whose title, Selfish Whining Monkeys, may just possibly have had a slight whiff of contempt and vilification.

But that was then, this is now. Liddle’s “chavmonkeys” have been redeemed by the Brexit referendum. Their “fugue of idiocy” is now a swelling symphony of reasserted sovereignty, their “dumbed-down culture” a fount of wisdom. The man who saw a “the moronic inferno” now champions the people against the “stereotype of the decrepit moron Leave voter”. For now, apparently, it is liberal remainers who commit the unforgivable sin of calling those voters stupid, “uneducated thickos” – and racists to boot. The evidence for this contention, as for everything else in Liddle’s polemic, is vanishingly thin. Yet the claim is central to his diagnosis of “a grotesque and unprecedented betrayal of the country” by the BBC, parliament, the judiciary, the civil service, Theresa May’s government and of course the “Irish spite” embodied in that “oily little shit”, the taoiseach Leo Varadkar.

Liddle recalls that on the morning of the referendum result in 2016, he posted a one-line message on his Facebook page: “Betcha we don’t leave.” He now adds that he and his wife agreed that “they won’t let it happen”. Thus his narrative of Brexit betrayed is not a response to events since that (for him) glorious morning. It is the chronicle of a death foretold. And in a sense, this intuition of inevitable failure was quite right. Failure was baked in. The promise of a Brexit that delivered all the benefits of EU membership with none of the costs could not survive contact with reality. Brexit was not “betrayed”. It was dead on arrival.

What makes Liddle’s book so dishonest is that he seems well aware of this, but persists with his pre‑prepared tale of treachery nonetheless. He accepts that Donald Tusk “had a point” when he spoke of a special place in hell for those who urged people to vote leave without having a plan for Brexit. He concedes that the leave campaign was “utterly lost” in the aftermath of its victory: “There was no sense of direction, no notion of a strategy, no notion as to how to proceed from here.” How can a non-existent project, one that is already “utterly lost”, be betrayed? Can a strategy that has never been created be thwarted by traitors?

Tellingly, Liddle specifies the moment of perfidy. The conspiracy, as he sees it, began as soon as “the establishment” started talking about a “hard Brexit” and a “soft Brexit”, “whereas hitherto we had simply been talking about Brexit”. In other words, the betrayal started as soon as “Brexit” acquired any actual content. Once “Brexit means Brexit” became “Brexit means this or that”, it was being sold out. There is here a kind of truth – the pure, unbetrayed Brexit could exist only in the abstract. To give it concrete meaning was to sully it. Nowhere does Liddle ever tell us what he himself actually thinks Brexit means in the real world. How could he, since by his own definition that would be an act of betrayal?

Of a piece is Liddle’s suggestion that Brexit was betrayed because its implementation was allowed to pass into the “hands of politicians … and away from the people who had voted”. How exactly does he think “the people who had voted” were supposed to negotiate the mutual rights of citizens, the divorce bill, the UK-Ireland border and a vastly complex trade deal? Even conceding that the people who were, in Liddle’s pre-Brexit rantings, so sunk in idiocy five years ago, are now intellectual giants, how might this process be managed? Might the people, perhaps, elect delegates to some kind of representative assembly which in turn would choose an executive?

Liddle is as untroubled by facts as by logic. He repeatedly cites the figure of £9bn as the UK’s annual net contribution to the EU – it is £7.9bn. The House of Commons library report of 24 June on the net contribution says the £9bn does not take account of EU funds given to non governmental agencies in the UK (universities and so on). He thinks Ireland was “forced” by the EU to hold another referendum on the Nice treaty in 2001 – it wasn’t. He thinks the DUP speaks for “the Northern Irish”, even though it gets a third of the vote and does not represent the strongly anti-Brexit majority. He claims Britain could have negotiated a trade deal with the EU before it discussed a withdrawal agreement, even though the EU can’t do a trade deal with Britain until it has actually left. His understanding of the border question – blockchain can solve “almost all” the problems – is childish. He even seems oblivious to the basic history of the UK: “Our boundaries have not shifted much over the years.” (So Ireland neither joined the UK in 1801 nor left it in 1922?)

At the heart of Liddle’s new pose as defender of the people is his righteous rage against “the allegations that Leave voters were all racists”. His only actual source for this “allegation” is Diane Abbott, who Liddle quotes as saying that “people who intended voting Leave ‘want to see less foreign-looking people on their streets’”. Abbott did not say this about people who intended to vote leave. She said it on Question Time in April 2017, long after the vote. She did not say it about leave voters as a whole – she actually said: “The people that complain about the freedom of movement will not be satisfied because what they really want is to see less foreign-looking people on their streets.” And she also added that she would “never say that people voted to come out because they were racist”. This is the sole foundation for Liddle’s core argument.

Equally disingenuous, though, is his contention that racism and xenophobia played no role at all in the leave vote. The grossly misleading posters showing brown-skin hordes supposedly queueing to get into the EU were “a matter of taste rather than accuracy”. He acknowledges that the use by the official leave campaign of Turkey’s allegedly imminent membership of the EU was “a little bit speculative”. But, he adds, it did not affect “a single vote, apart maybe from some Kurds”. He does not tell us how he knows this or whether he has explained to Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson and Dominic Cummings how they wasted so much money and effort in appealing to a non-existent xenophobia.

It is just as well that it does not exist. If it did, people might misunderstand the benign nature of Liddle’s questions about whether immigrants can have proper feelings for “the nation”: “If you are a fairly recent arrival in this country, does its long existence as a nation state matter very much to you? Do you have a stake in our history? Is the UK’s history as an independent country as impinging as it might be on someone whose family has lived here for countless generations?” He insists on giving one despised anti-Brexit campaigner her full name: “Gina Miller, née Singh” though he never refers, for example, to “Theresa May, née Brasier”. Otherwise readers might not realise that beneath Miller’s English-sounding name lurks a woman with no stake in “our” history. Here we face the underlying toxicity of the myth of betrayal. Without the treachery of those who do not belong to “us”, Brexit would always have been wonderful. Since it is not, we know who to blame.

Assuming a new pose as defender of the people, Liddle rages againstliberal remainers and the ‘establishment’ – and is as untroubled by facts as by logic

Comment

Anyone been to Two Pints? I've been invited to go, maybe the production is better but I think the content he puts on facebook is awful shite.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X