Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    You should be emptying the clip on Trump so.
    I have a large two figure sum on Warren at 6s for the nomination, no need to be greedy

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
      I have a large two figure sum on Warren at 6s for the nomination, no need to be greedy
      'A large two figure sum.

Like a Boss. As we used to say back in the day.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I might be wrong on most things but the trend of my wrongness is trending strongly in the right direction. You see? We actually agree. Therefore I was right all along. Hey, a yellow car!
        572 days to go.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Comment

Sometimes the US in general (and I actually don't mean Trump here!) just seems so reminiscent of the Roman Empire in decline. Over extended military, multiple threats, debasing their currency, internecine warfare, massive rent seeking from oligopolies. And in real terms, US dominance has been a blink of an eye. Not saying they can't turn it around, but they'd want to get their act together.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  Yeah you're missing the point totally despite it being a really simple point. You're arguing it's bad. I didn't argue it wasn't bad. Why would I do that? I said it's getting better. As can be seen from the number of kilometres of cycle lanes being developed. It's surely not too difficult to understand the difference between trend and absolute state?
                  The cycling lanes here are pointless, cars ignore them, use them, taxis pull in front of you, buses share your lane. I got hit by a car from behind while in one, I'd have been safer ignoring the cycling infrastructure altogether and being in the middle of the road getting yelled at!

Greenways don't matter regarding this, completely different thing. Cycling somewhere with proper infrastructure like Amsterdam vs here and the difference is ridiculous. You don't just stick a dotted white line on an already existing road and call it progress, you call it a waste of paint.

Comment

Isn't there some sort of 'wall' in gerrymandering? Maybe Murdrum can say more about it, as haven't read his links yet. As in, gerrymandering works up until it doesn't and then it absolutely collapses.

E.g. a good gerrymander uses the minimum number of your party votes to get your people elected and the maximum number of the other party votes to get those folks elected. But if there's too much of a swing then your finally balanced calculations end up collapsing.
                    I'd need to re-read it tbh, I just enjoy how Elbridge was ahead of the game and his name is used so well

On the cycling, the greenways of Ireland are fantastic, Waterford being extended into Wexford now but they are different.

Dublin is awful imo for both cyclists and motorists, perhaps there has been change but I couldn't believe parents cycling with their children in those cycling trailers between Ranelagh and Stephen's Green which isn't even that bad relative to elsewhere.

Utrecht is the goal:

Utrecht is one of the five finalists to become Cycling City of the Netherlands in 2016. More information in the blog post: https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com...

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                          Sometimes the US in general (and I actually don't mean Trump here!) just seems so reminiscent of the Roman Empire in decline. Over extended military, multiple threats, debasing their currency, internecine warfare, massive rent seeking from oligopolies. And in real terms, US dominance has been a blink of an eye. Not saying they can't turn it around, but they'd want to get their act together.
                          Seeing as our entire economy is predicated on US FDI, let's hope you're wrong!

For me, the US political shitshow is balanced out by all the good stuff.

Comment

I'd need to re-read it tbh, I just enjoy how Elbridge was ahead of the game and his name is used so well

On the cycling, the greenways of Ireland are fantastic, Waterford being extended into Wexford now but they are different.

Dublin is awful imo for both cyclists and motorists, perhaps there has been change but I couldn't believe parents cycling with their children in those cycling trailers between Ranelagh and Stephen's Green which isn't even that bad relative to elsewhere.

Utrecht is the goal:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4WrsME...ature=youtu.be
                            Rotterdam is like that too. It's a beautiful thing to look down over Weena and see a perfectly integrated transport infrastructure at work.

Probably helps that the Luftwaffe razed the place to the ground in 1940.

Comment

Seeing as our entire economy is predicated on US FDI, let's hope you're wrong!

For me, the US political shitshow is balanced out by all the good stuff.
                              Nevermind that, my pension is basically USA USA USA.

If they don't up their RnD and sort out of some of their structural issues they'll be finding themselves behind.

Comment

Rotterdam is like that too. It's a beautiful thing to look down over Weena and see a perfectly integrated transport infrastructure at work.

Probably helps that the Luftwaffe razed the place to the ground in 1940.
                                You'd like that new Diamond book and that McMillian podcast, nothing like a good war to make a country succeed.

Comment

Might be a case that you need some agitation like that to keep the country fit. Stop the waste of energy on the likes of twitter.

Comment

You'd like that new Diamond book and that McMillian podcast, nothing like a good war to make a country succeed.
                                    Ironically losing a war seems to be the new post-war winning formula.

And winning one is no guarantee of Good Things. Ask the Brits.

Comment

Generally all for workplaces efforts to keep staff happy but with have a few therapy dogs visiting the office today, followed by a small knitting workshop, it feels a little OTT.

Comment

Comment

That greyhound programme was a tough watch. I suspect the Joe Duffy brigade will be seriously up in arms and I agree with them on this one. I can't believe they showed the dog in China getting boiled alive.

Always found the tracks grim enough when I have been there. Went to check out Naas races last night and it's a lovely track. Totally different vibe to the dogs I find. Full of old people though. Point proven by the fact I bumped into Strewel! He told me he was backing "the top one" in the next race. I guessed this meant number 1 on the card and he duly obliged at 10/1.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                            The cycling lanes here are pointless, cars ignore them, use them, taxis pull in front of you, buses share your lane. I got hit by a car from behind while in one, I'd have been safer ignoring the cycling infrastructure altogether and being in the middle of the road getting yelled at!

Greenways don't matter regarding this, completely different thing. Cycling somewhere with proper infrastructure like Amsterdam vs here and the difference is ridiculous. You don't just stick a dotted white line on an already existing road and call it progress, you call it a waste of paint.
                                            I believe there was a well publicised article going around lately where a study has shown than a painted line bike lane makes a cyclist more likely to be hit by a car than having no cycle lane at all.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                Went to check out Naas races last night and it's a lovely track. Totally different vibe to the dogs I find. Full of old people though. Point proven by the fact I bumped into Strewel! He told me he was backing "the top one" in the next race. I guessed this meant number 1 on the card and he duly obliged at 10/1.
                                                18.5 on the machine ya dose
                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

The greyhound programme was grim but it was in its own way more bent than its target.

This guy is a well respected vet working in the business and would be known as a straight speaker.

Comment

Comment

The thread would be a lot stronger if he could support it with some verifiable alternative facts.
                                                      New tagline for Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                        18.5 on the machine ya dose
                                                        Perhaps you might try and provide some for this evening in The Curragh.

I had one of my funnier bad beats up there a few years back so I'm probably owed one.

Comment

Would you not be tempted to add something like this into the portfolio and get some of the African future goodness into the portfolio?

Did a study on these frontier stocks before and was pretty cool how lowly correlated the stocks were with developed country indices.
                                                          The problem with Africa isn't economic, it's legal.

If you can't rely on a strong, non-corrupt legal system that enforces contracts (and stops bad actors stealing your shit ), then you're not going to invest.

e.g. Zimbabwe, Russia etc

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 27-06-19, 12:09.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                I believe there was a well publicised article going around lately where a study has shown than a painted line bike lane makes a cyclist more likely to be hit by a car than having no cycle lane at all.
                                                                Ah thank you, I'm not surprised there are articles going around confirming everything I think

Comment

Would you not be tempted to add something like this into the portfolio and get some of the African future goodness into the portfolio?

Did a study on these frontier stocks before and was pretty cool how lowly correlated the stocks were with developed country indices.
                                                                  Don't really have that level of control unfortunately. Do have some EM exposure but not a whole lot.

The problem with Africa isn't economic, it's legal.

If you can't rely on a strong, non-corrupt legal system that enforces contracts (and stops bad actors stealing your shit ), then you're not going to invest.

e.g. Zimbabwe, Russia etc
                                                                  Yeah that's still an issue. Was actually talking to embassy staff over there and there's still a long way to go even just in East Africa (just happened to be in the same pub).

Comment

'Murica

A woman whose unborn baby was killed in a 2018 Pleasant Grove shooting has now been indicted in the death.

Marshae Jones, a 27-year-old Birmingham woman, was indicted by a Jefferson County grand jury on a manslaughter charge. She was taken into custody on Wednesday.

Though Jones didn’t fire the shots that killed her unborn baby girl, authorities say she initiated the dispute that led to the gunfire....
                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I think she might have a chance tbh

not a bad bet @ 20/1
                                                                      go big or go home
                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

If Warren was going up against anyone other than Trump she'd have a great shot.
                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                          If Warren was going up against anyone other than Trump she'd have a great shot.
                                                                          Disagree.

She won't play well outside her liberal, elitist, socialist (picture me doing a Fox News imitation) heartland. Not that it will be an issue as she won't get the nomination.

Comment

Seems like the Boris saga is gonna get even more messy

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                              Seems like the Boris saga is gonna get even more messy
                                                                              WTF was that about

Comment

There are rumours BJ has been having an affair with an influencer called Bip Ling. https://twitter.com/foxyneela/status...27083342733312

Comment

Influencer. Is there any more heinous indictment of the Internet age that people like this?

Comment

Its just a buzz word that shit journalists (and others) can use to waste a few pages in faux outrage, like selfie before it.

Comment

This song is pretty catchy...good lyrics too. I've listened to a lot of new music this week and this would be in the top 25%

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                        There are rumours BJ has been having an affair with an influencer called Bip Ling. https://twitter.com/foxyneela/status...27083342733312
                                                                                        He's like Trump, it would be water off a ducks back.

Comment

Last time I was at the dogs must have been over 10 years ago.

We headed there for a mates birthday before hitting town

I left the house with a 150 quid in my pocket, had food at the track and copious amount of pints.

Myself and the birthday boy were down on the track punting on the dogs when his missus thought we were using the Tote like everyone else in the group.

After the dogs, we hit town and had another savage feed of drink, some late night food in some random shit in a tray merchant followed by a taxi home at around 4:30am

Woke up the next day to just over €750 quid in my pocket

Everything we touched that night won.

Was a great night to be fair

Comment

Probably. It's just a wild rumour at the moment anyway. Fuck him anyway.

You ain't got a clue, let's be honest
                                                                                            I had a couple seeds, I made a forest
                                                                                            I put in the work and take the profit
                                                                                            Lookin' at my girl like "What a goddess" (thank God)
                                                                                            Rule number two, don't make the promise
                                                                                            If you can't keep the deal then just be honest (just be honest)
                                                                                            I could never die, I'm Chuck Norris (Chuck Norris)
                                                                                            Fuck the government and fuck Boris (yeah)

MUSIC VIDEO FOR VOSSI BOP FROM STORMZY'S ALBUM HEAVY IS THE HEAD.'THIS IS WHAT I MEAN' | OUT NOW: https://stormzy.lnk.to/thisiswhatimeanIDH.I.T.H VIDEO PLAYL...

Comment

Oh dear, looks like the Dalai Lama will be getting disinvited from a bunch of twitter drips fantasy dinner party line up!
                                                                                              Something about him makes me think he’d give Silvio a run in the hooker banging stakes

The Dalai Lama said Donald Trump lacks "moral principle." He suggested Europe should be kept for Europeans. And should a woman succeed him, he said, she'd have to be "more attractive."
                                                                                              Asked about rising levels of African refugees and migrants entering Europe, the Dalai Lama said Europe should take them in and offer them education and training. But ultimately, he said, the migrants should return to "their own land," with only "a limited number" allowed to stay on the continent.
                                                                                              Last edited by Guest; 27-06-19, 19:17.

Comment

Didnt see the prime time yet but if you read Roy 'The Boy' Brindleys autobiography which he writes plenty about this and this was years back then this should have come as no surprise. Its why he got out of the game and he loved the dags so much that when he trained greyhounds he even slept in the kennels with them.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                  Oh dear, looks like the Dalai Lama will be getting disinvited from a bunch of twitter drips fantasy dinner party line up!
                                                                                                  Something about him makes me think he’d give Silvio a run in the hooker banging stakes

The Dalai Lama said Donald Trump lacks "moral principle." He suggested Europe should be kept for Europeans. And should a woman succeed him, he said, she'd have to be "more attractive."
                                                                                                  Asked about rising levels of African refugees and migrants entering Europe, the Dalai Lama said Europe should take them in and offer them education and training. But ultimately, he said, the migrants should return to "their own land," with only "a limited number" allowed to stay on the continent.
                                                                                                  You're so far off the mark its laughable and sad at the same time. HH14 is a legend. The wisest kindest and most compassionate man I have ever had the good fortune to meet and speak to. History will prove you're talking shite...eventually.

Comment

Are you saying that CNN is off the mark, or that PSV is inaccurately portraying what CNN said?

Comment

Let's not go overboard

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                        Last time I was at the dogs must have been over 10 years ago.

We headed there for a mates birthday before hitting town

I left the house with a 150 quid in my pocket, had food at the track and copious amount of pints.

Myself and the birthday boy were down on the track punting on the dogs when his missus thought we were using the Tote like everyone else in the group.

After the dogs, we hit town and had another savage feed of drink, some late night food in some random shit in a tray merchant followed by a taxi home at around 4:30am

Woke up the next day to just over €750 quid in my pocket

Everything we touched that night won.

Was a great night to be fair
                                                                                                        That's how I feel after most HHE dinners.*

*
                                                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                                                        Usually I've taken €1,500 out of the ATM

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                          The greyhound programme was grim but it was in its own way more bent than its target.

This guy is a well respected vet working in the business and would be known as a straight speaker.

He works in the industry and has a financial interest in it's continued existance. If he thought any differently it would be pretty strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                            This song is pretty catchy...good lyrics too. I've listened to a lot of new music this week and this would be in the top 25%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=6Chwr7UAl_4
                                                                                                            I was just gonna pop on and say the same. Not much to it, like most great pop music. Nice and simple with an early 90s pop rave style. What's not to like?

Comment

Originally posted by limpwhacker View Post
                                                                                                              You're so far off the mark its laughable and sad at the same time. HH14 is a legend. The wisest kindest and most compassionate man I have ever had the good fortune to meet and speak to. History will prove you're talking shite...eventually.
                                                                                                              Did you meet in person or elsewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
                                                                                                                Did you meet in person or elsewhere?
                                                                                                                He called round to the gaff ... We played heads up for a monkey and he stuck a bad beat on me.

Comment

Does anyone know the etiquette on
                                                                                                                  who pays for the bridesmaids dress at a wedding?

ie: If the bride choses the outfit does she pay for it?

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

In Ireland the bride pays for everything. In the US the bridesmaids usually pay for their own. Though it's all just tradition and not set in stone.
                                                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

We've paid for the bridesmaids dresses and hire of the groomsmens suits.

No way I would have expected (or even allowed) them to pay for them themselves.

We're asking them to be a big part of our day so think it is very unreasonable to have them pick up the costs.

Comment

Putin feeling confident enough to declare that the liberal order is obsolete.

Make no mistake; he has declared war on our way of life and is doing everything possible to undermine it. The sad thing is that we're stupid enough to let him (Trump, Brexit, Lega Nord, MSL, Add, Orban etc etc)

Comment

Gone too soon

Local GAA man had a terrible run-in with midges during Ireland's most recent heatwave. They're not here to take part, they're here to take over.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X