Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
    Took me a long way into this article before I copped and was well aware what day it was before I started reading. Way too plausible

Britain needs to take special measures if it is ever to recover from the scarring social divisions exacerbated by Brexit, says a working party drawn from the country’s leading institutions.

The Guardian understands one of the initiatives that has caught the imagination of the group is the creation of the post of “healing tsar” – a unifying figure to promote a feeling of national togetherness. Several well-known figures have been sounded out for the role, although there are worries that the politicians involved will try to parachute their own preferred candidate into the job.

The idea was first mentioned privately by Prince Charles, who, although he has kept his views on the EU to himself, is said by insiders to be deeply troubled by what he sees as a dislocation between the people and the institutions of the country.

Senior sources close to official figures say he fears the royal family could be drawn into the bitter divide – one of the reasons why he and his wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, absented themselves on a trip to Cuba during the 1 million-strong march through London and the parliamentary climax of the Brexit process.

In heated meetings behind closed doors at Thenford House in Northamptonshire, the estate belonging to Michael Heseltine, the Liberal Democrat representative argued strongly for party supporter Bob Geldof as “healing tsar”. One insider promoting Geldof’s credentials said: “He brought the country together with Live Aid – he can do it again.” ... cont
    I was the same. It was only when they started talking about a new version of the band aid song that I twigged.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      All 4 Brexit indicative votes fail again

Customs Union and confirmatory votes both lost by a short head
      GE seems the only non completely mental road left.
      Though I expect mv4....
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
        GE seems the only non completely mental road left.
        Though I expect mv4....
        Genuine questions though. What would a general election achieve?

Comment

Westminister being effectively driven by the DUP, this is a clusterfuck of epic proportions!

Comment

(C) Customs union

Clarke, Benn, Goodman, Letwin et al

273/276 NOES

Ensure any WA and political declaration negotiated with EU includes a commitment to negotiate a comprehensive UK wide customs union with EU, ironclad it in primary legislation (an act).

(D) Common market 2.0 ("A load of Boles")

Boles, Kinnock, Powell, Percy, et al

261 / 282 NOES

Re-open negotiations with EU, try for Efta but not quite Efta to allow a customs union, no hard border in ireland, negotiate new rule to specify that EEA citizens must be "genuinely seeking work" and have “sufficient resources not to become a burden on the UK’s social assistance system”.

(E) Confirmatory public vote

Beckett, Kyle, Wilson, Whitford, et al

280 / 292 NOES

Nothing to be done without a public vote confirming a selected course of action.

(G) Parliamentary Supremacy - NEW ENTRY

Cherry, Grieve, Cable, Roberts,Wollaston, Bradshaw

191 / 292 NOES

Comment

Saw a murmuration of starlings this morning on the M8 south of Abbeyleix. My first time to. Was magnificent but short lived.

Guessing they were starlings, do any other birds murmurate? If that's a word.
              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Ignorant bastards . No not the dogs but their fooking owners who allow them to shite where kids play. Fk brexit this is getting out of control .
                  Pondering some retribution.

Comment

I am almost scared to ask what makes this so awesome.
                    It's like a giant pet store with all types of animals. Cats, dogs, ferrets, 30 types of chickens, rabbits, etc. And obviously your typical French Market all combined into one.

Definitely not awesome, just fun to walk around with the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                      Genuine questions though. What would a general election achieve?
                      It'd press pause on the ref and you'd nearly have a single issue election with whatever party campaigns for the pv to win (imo)
                      But honestly, fucking who knows. The logic at play here is astounding

- House votes overwhelmingly to reject no deal

- Corbyn repeatedly calls for May to take no deal off the table

- May correctly points out you have to replace it with something else as the default

- Cherry presents the motion to effectively replace no deal with last minute revocation as an insurance policy if it gets to that point

- House rejects the motion
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

It'd press pause on the ref and you'd nearly have a single issue election with whatever party campaigns for the pv to win (imo)
                        Far, far too simplistic imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                          where the best/snazziest place for Breakfast/Brunch on d'Northside. Malahide, Portmarnock, all that part of the world?
                          Pigeon House or Bay in Clontarf or Deja Vu in Malahide

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                              where the best/snazziest place for Breakfast/Brunch on d'Northside. Malahide, Portmarnock, all that part of the world?
                              Deja vu in Malahide or The House in Howth imo.
                              Profit before people.

Comment

Ref 2 will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                  Ignorant bastards . No not the dogs but their fooking owners who allow them to shite where kids play. Fk brexit this is getting out of control .
                                  Pondering some retribution.
                                  Get the kids to shit in their garden obvs
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

How dja embed a gif ?

Comment

Get the kids to shit in their garden obvs
                                      You might be in to something but I think it's me who needs to do it. Like for like .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                        Right click, copy image location, paste URL into image box:

"I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

What’s the verdict on the Quinn settlement, a bad result for them? Or maybe if they Co-operate with the Indian and Ukrainian assets they are off the hook for everything and the judgements won’t be executed?

Comment

I don't have a clue on mortgage stuff.so question
                                            variable 3.2%
                                            2yr fixed 2.7
                                            3yr fixed 2.75
                                            5 yr fixed 2.8
                                            Is it a good time to go variable. Going with the fixed ones is bringing mortgage down around 100 per month

The variable down by 90e
                                            Her sky-ness
                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                              variable 3.2%
                                              2yr fixed 2.7
                                              3yr fixed 2.75
                                              5 yr fixed 2.8
                                              Is it a good time to go variable. Going with the fixed ones is bringing mortgage down around 100 per month

The variable down by 90e
                                              Do you plan to overpay the mortgage to get it paid off sooner? If not then why not fix for 3 or 5 years and bring the costs down and give yourself certainty.
                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                                                What’s the verdict on the Quinn settlement, a bad result for them? Or maybe if they Co-operate with the Indian and Ukrainian assets they are off the hook for everything and the judgements won’t be executed?
                                                They clearly wanted the deal once the judge ruled against the “Daddy made me do it” excuse.

Is it any better or worse then what might have happened is hard to know. Its a result for the state given the other high profile stuff that they’ve managed to fuck up on arising from the period. I think it’s fair to say it was always going to be very hard to get the full pound of flesh so some sort of deal is probably a reasonable result.
                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                  Do you plan to overpay the mortgage to get it paid off sooner? If not then why not fix for 3 or 5 years and bring the costs down and give yourself certainty.
                                                  Was, hoping you'd answer. Yeah thinking 5 yrs fixed was one I was gonna tick. Had to get house valued up do all this shite.

What's the crack moving banks is it alot of work like. Currently with KBC
                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Was, hoping you'd answer. Yeah thinking 5 yrs fixed was one I was gonna tick. Had to get house valued up do all this shite.

What's the crack moving banks is it alot of work like. Currently with KBC
                                                    Lol! I’d just take the saving and the certainty and not over think it.

Switching mortgage provider isn’t too hard if you’re organised but KBC are a pain in the fucking ass to deal with.

Comment

variable 3.2%
                                                      2yr fixed 2.7
                                                      3yr fixed 2.75
                                                      5 yr fixed 2.8

The variable down by 90e
                                                      If you want to have the option to overpay some you are able to get a split with some fixed and some variable.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                        If you want to have the option to overpay some you are able to get a split with some fixed and some variable.
                                                        Ah fuck over paying lol
                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

variable 3.2%
                                                          2yr fixed 2.7
                                                          3yr fixed 2.75
                                                          5 yr fixed 2.8

The variable down by 90e
                                                          I just got mortgage approval from Ulster Bank and think their rates may be slightly better than the above from memory but don't have it in front of me. I have an existing mortgage with them but don't think that comes into it.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                            I just got mortgage approval from Ulster Bank and think their rates may be slightly better than the above from memory but don't have it in front of me. I have an existing mortgage with them but don't think that comes into it.
                                                            With ulster Bank for banking, iv envelope sealed 5 yr fixed.

Like by changing banks what are ya gonna save another 30 to 40 quid? I just can't arsed bar was a massive drop like
                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

What do the Taliban and Raoul have in common?

Comment

With ulster Bank for banking, iv envelope sealed 5 yr fixed.

Like by changing banks what are ya gonna save another 30 to 40 quid? I just can't arsed bar was a massive drop like
                                                                Also sticking with UB so I can keep my tracker rate from my existing mortgage for part of the overall amount. I don't think I can do that with other banks although I haven't really looked into it.

Comment

an idea of where peoples bread is buttered

cliffs: tories are eating their young
                                                                  part 2

Comment

All day cabinet meeting to decide to kick the can a little further.
                                                                    Hope Corbyn tells her to go fuck herself.
                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                      Hows the health recently CourierCollie?. How are you dealing with the booze moderation?, you were saying youve taken to whiskey sampling recently I think, hows that going?.
                                                                      You still on the motorbike?.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                        Hows the health recently CourierCollie?. How are you dealing with the booze moderation?, you were saying youve taken to whiskey sampling recently I think, hows that going?.
                                                                        You still on the motorbike?.
                                                                        Had to give up on the whiskey experimentation. Only took a short time to get back to knocking back a bottle in a sitting, so I just find it easier not to have it in the house. Weaned myself back to one bottle of wine a week since January. I even have that on a Friday as if I have it on Saturday I can still feel the effects in the gym on Monday.
                                                                        Had blood tests and a check up in the hospital last Thursday, and everything's fine. Still have to take all the tablets though.
                                                                        Haven't been back on the bike yet. No real reason.

Comment

Basically a tap in for Corbyn. One that he will inevitably blaze over the bar.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                              The man gets no credit. He has managed to get himself into prime position on brexit to get his views implemented.
                                                                              what are his views, exactly?

Comment

...

Comment

what are his views, exactly?
                                                                                  Chris Grey skewers both of them nicely in one of his posts:

So every pathway is convoluted and currently blocked by one or more apparently immovable obstacle. The incoherent nature of the Brexit project was always likely to have brought us here, but it has been compounded by lamentable leadership. May seems to care about nothing but her monocular version of Brexit whilst Corbyn seems to care nothing about Brexit at all, to the extent that he apparently doesn’t understand even the most basic facts about it.

Despite their political differences, May and Corbyn are remarkably similar in their grotesque rigidity, and their slightly tetchy muleishness born of a mediocrity of character, intellect and judgment. Indeed the most notable thing about the closing speeches in the ‘no confidence’ debate was that they provided devastating critiques of both party leaders. Certainly neither seems remotely prepared or competent to create and lead the kind of temporary or semi-permanent cross-party parliamentary alliance that looks like the only route out of this mess.

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                                    Well I'm very pessimistic about the persistence of good events, but very optimistic about the transience of negative events. So all the optimism that I thought I was full of is only centred on bad events not being permanent. Need to work on the upside confidence aspect.
                                                                                    I'm the same. Mind you I think it needs to be grounded in a wider and deeper perspective. You cannot reasonably abstract optimism about good things from deeper beliefs, meaning, and vision of life. If the spectre of mortality causes nihilism then I would suggest that will colour things to a great extent.

Actually on that point, in Buddhism there is a perspective that people can tend towards two fundamental views on things: eternalism and nihilism. The first group tend to see the persistence of things and are orientated to the birth of new things. The latter tend to be orientated to the cessation of things.

If one is the latter then one could be quite optimistic about the transience of bad things while fundamentally nihilistic about the meaningfulness of a life which will end, colouring attitude towards positive things in a deep way.

Incidentally in Buddhism both are considered extreme wrong views to be avoided. Knowing which side you err on is a good starting point.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Incidentally in Buddhism both are considered extreme wrong views to be avoided. Knowing which side you err on is a good starting point.
                                                                                        Wrong as in incorrect or wrong as in harmful?
                                                                                        I'll guess the Buddhist answer would be that both are correct
                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                          Phone question time again.

Oneplus 5 Screen cracked. 20 months old and still ticking over lovely.
                                                                                          It's €160 to get the screen repaired.

Should i pay up to 300 for another phone instead?

Was going to wait until summer to but oneplus 7 but not sure there is any need to pay > €450 for any phone anymore.
                                                                                          Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                          You can do it yourself pretty easily for €60 https://www.ebay.ie/itm/With-Frame-F...8AAOSwPxVbXSVj
                                                                                          Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                          Thanks, Tar. Ordered that. Looking forward to cursing you when i'm trying to stick it back together.
                                                                                          Tried this last night. Took it apart, realised i couldn't get the screen off, put it back together and broke my camera in the process.

So.... What's the best phone €350 will get me?

Comment

The man gets no credit. He has managed to get himself into prime position on brexit to get his views implemented. That is no mean feat given the size of his party in parliament.

Plus, despite the media crap, Labour have been far more united on this than the tories - thats precisely why May needs to do this, because of Labour discipline.

If he is judged only on his outcomes and not on the media annoyance that he didn't give stupid definitive soundbites like May - he's played a bit of a blinder throughout this whole process.
                                                                                            The dup are in the same situation and have a much smaller party - I am not going to be calling them top political strategists.

Labour unity? when they have just had a high profile split from the party a few months ago - numbers and influence wise not a huge blow but it did result in a lot of scuttling around. Managing to loose unity at this time is much tougher than maintaining it.

The only thing keeping them United is that they mainly think that disorganised Brexit is a shit idea, there is no cohesive policy in the party however.

He is the jammiest fucker alive, May is shite enough that he was able to win a lot of seats in the GE but he is so lacking in credibility that he couldn’t get enough seats to win and dosnt need to worry about actually making a descision and being laughed out of parliament.

He dodged around the sides of a vote of no confidence when there was a lot of blood in the water - any proper leader of the opposition would have used it to get into power - he used it to stand on the sidelines tutting. That’s where he is comfortable, that’s where he has spent his career and that’s where his condescending ill conceived policies deserve to be.

Comment

A famous, if apocryphal, story is told of the French statesman Georges Clemenceau negotiating to buy a statuette in a bazaar. The shopkeeper offered it for “only” 75 rupees, while the Frenchman counteroffered with 45 rupees. After that, no matter the haggling, he refused to move. And there they wer

SPOILER
                                                                                              How the EU can ensure Brexit never happens

Smart negotiation strategy suggests Brussels should say ‘take your time’ to Britain to get the result it’s always wanted

A famous, if apocryphal, story is told of the French statesman Georges Clemenceau negotiating to buy a statuette in a bazaar. The shopkeeper offered it for “only” 75 rupees, while the Frenchman counteroffered with 45 rupees. After that, no matter the haggling, he refused to move. And there they were. Stuck.

Eventually the shopkeeper threw up his hands and said: “You are impossible! I’d rather give it to you.” Clemenceau smiled, pocketed the statuette and said: “Done.” And then he added: “You are very kind, and such a kindness could only come from a friend. Allow me to offer you a gift in return. Will you accept 45 rupees for use in charitable works?”

The shopkeeper accepted the money and they parted on good terms.

The European Union is close to a diplomatic and political triumph. Against all the odds it may be able to conclude its negotiation with the United Kingdom achieving everything it could possibly have wanted. All it needs to do now is show the wit, cunning and courage of Clemenceau in the bazaar.

Here is what I think it should do on April 10. Not what it necessarily will do — that changes every hour as Michel Barnier says one thing and Emmanuel Macron says something else — but what it should do. And what it should do is basically nothing. It should tell Britain that it can stay while it wants to. There will be no deadlines, no conditions, no meetings, no more negotiation. Britain should be told to go away and come back when it is ready.

This may strike the EU as counterintuitive. So I should emphasise that I am not proposing this in Britain’s interest, although I think it is. I am proposing this in the EU’s interest. I think it’s the right thing for it to do if it wants to secure a triumph.

In his book Getting Past No, William Ury, one of the founders of the Harvard Program on Negotiation, has this to say: “Breakthrough negotiation is the art of letting the other person have your way.” And the starting point is identifying both your own interests and your Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement, or Batna. In other words, the arrangement you have to fall back on if you can’t reach a deal. To give an example of a Batna, you are in a much stronger position when negotiating your salary if you have another job offer you can accept if your employer won’t give you a pay rise.

It’s always been in the EU’s interests that Britain should remain a member but that Brussels should not have to abandon its basic principles and in particular its four freedoms: the movement of labour, capital, goods and services. Since at the outset of negotiations this seemed unlikely, the EU has been seeking the best deal short of that. And it’s been helped by the fact that it has a fairly strong Batna and that Britain has a weak one. If the EU can’t get a deal, it can live with the alternative. If Britain can’t, the alternative of living with no deal looks pretty dreadful.

However, it is easy in negotiations to overestimate your Batna. The hard Brexiteers have made this mistake, leading them to wildly overplay a pretty weak hand. Brussels must not make the same mistake. Its Batna is stronger than Britain’s but there are many negotiated deals that would be far better for it than its fallback position.

So it’s still in Brussels’ interests to hang on and get a deal. A deal that would once have seemed highly unlikely but which the grisly errors of the inept hard Brexiteers have made possible. In short, the EU can reasonably aim to keep Britain as a full member.

There is one big thing in the way of securing a good deal. It seems odd to say this when Britain’s behaviour has been so wayward. But the biggest obstacle to Brussels getting what it wants is the EU itself. One of the main obstacles in the way of a successful negotiation is frustration. Who wouldn’t be frustrated negotiating with us? It’s completely understandable.

And totally counterproductive. The overwhelming temptation when dealing with difficult people is to give up and walk out. And that is why Ury advises that “the first step is to control your own behaviour. Instead of reacting, you need to regain your mental balance and stay focused on achieving what you want. The first challenge is don’t react.” This is known as “going to the balcony”, a place from which you can calmly see the problem.

Frustration would dictate telling Britain that if it can’t meet the Brexit deadline and can’t make up its mind what to do next, it should get stuffed. The EU has a life to lead and it is fed up with the uncertainty. Yet from the balcony things look different.

There is no majority in parliament for leaving without a deal. An attempt by the government to make it do so would fail. It is therefore only the EU that can insist on no deal. And, aside from frustration, why would it do so?

Once a long extension to our negotiations with the EU begins there is a good chance that Brexit will never happen. The most likely scenario is that an attempt by the government to break the deadlock, possibly under a new, harder-line prime minister, brings the Tory government to an end. And it is replaced by a Jeremy Corbyn government elected on a promise of a referendum that offers the choice between remaining and a soft Brexit. Alternatively (a smaller chance, this) the Tories may belatedly appreciate that a second referendum is better for them than an election.

What is the downside in waiting for this? The worst that can happen is that a no-deal prime minister somehow survives or wins an election or, ultimately, that no-deal wins a referendum. Then the EU would be back to its Batna. Which is where it would be in a week’s time anyway. So it will have lost little.

An alternative strategy, of course, would be to make an extension contingent on Britain holding a second referendum. Or using the timetable to try to force a choice between revoking Article 50 and no deal. Yet both these contradict the theory of good negotiation.

The EU wants to win the war, not the battle. It shouldn’t force Britain to a conclusion it will reject or resent. It should instead allow the country to reach its own conclusion. As Ury puts it, “an imposed outcome is an unstable one. Even if you have a decisive power advantage, you should think twice before lunging for victory.” Britain has been offered a deal which it should have accepted but seems likely to reject. Does the EU have the imagination to realise this is not a threat? It’s an opportunity.

euro elections a stumbling block sure but plausible nonetheless?

Comment

Comment

Chris Grey skewers both of them nicely in one of his posts:
                                                                                                  We are really going to find out over the next couple of days if its cometh the hour cometh the man or if hes as weak and wobbly as May. There will be nowhere for him to hide now.

Rees Moggs had a meltdown on BBC R4's today when he point blank refused to distance himself from the AFD and accused the BBC of having a conspiracy against him. The same BBC who puts this fucking third rate back bench clown on every other news and debate programme.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                    We are really going to find out over the next couple of days if its cometh the hour cometh the man or if hes as weak and wobbly as May. There will be nowhere for him to hide now.
                                                                                                    What do you want him to do over the next few days to prove the 'cometh the man' part?

Bearing in mind that there's a ~75% chance that May has no interest whatever in what he will put forward, and will just feign interest in a CU/SM solution in order to try panic her party into voting for her original deal in the next meaningful vote.

Comment

I'd be more concerned that they don't appear to be wearing any ear protection.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                        What do you want him to do over the next few days to prove the 'cometh the man' part?

Bearing in mind that there's a ~75% chance that May has no interest whatever in what he will put forward, and will just feign interest in a CU/SM solution in order to try panic her party into voting for her original deal in the next meaningful vote.
                                                                                                        Indeed, manoeuvring around that would do it. Ideally he would get a warm embrace around the softer parts of the cabinet and split the Tories forever while also delivering brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                          Wrong as in incorrect or wrong as in harmful?
                                                                                                          I'll guess the Buddhist answer would be that both are correct
                                                                                                          Sorry I should have explained that wrong view means wrong in the sense of being a view which is weak (as opposed to strong with the benefit of penetrative insight from higher meditative states), partial (only taking into account a limited range of experience), obscured etc.

There is a natural implication that wrong views likely conduce to decisions which are less helpful.

Anyway, here's a monkey riding a bike:
                                                                                                          best vines, 2018, vines, monkey, riding, bike, badass, dog, monkey riding a bike

Comment

I'd be more concerned that they don't appear to be wearing any ear protection.
                                                                                                            Paintballs afaik

Comment

...

Comment

Film buffs:

Hear the untold story of HandMade Films from the likes of Michael Palin, Richard E. Grant, Ray Cooper and more. 'An Accidental Studio' premieres Saturday 4th...

Comment

I want to check what the wind speed was in Limerick on Monday, but Googling keeps just giving me results for forecasts - anyone know where I can dig up the forecast for a couple of days ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                    I want to check what the wind speed was in Limerick on Monday, but Googling keeps just giving me results for forecasts - anyone know where I can dig up the forecast for a couple of days ago?
                                                                                                                    ventusky

you can amend the date to a previous one at the bottom

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                                      ventusky

you can amend the date to a previous one at the bottom
                                                                                                                      Perfect, thanks very much.

Comment

...

Comment

310 all

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X