Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      Just looking at this list of most popular Irish baby names. Clearly due to having read every single other thing on the internet.

Wonder the extent to which what you name your kid determines how you raise them. Saw Luke there, which is what we were going to name our kid. But that would surely have been awful choice. I'd imagine a kid named Luke would be raised in the style of a future presbyterian minister. Or if you named the kid Charlie - it would be a month before you pounce on his one or two giggles to rename him Cheeky Charlie, and for ever after the focus would be all on his fun side.

As it is we went with Max, and alternate being treating him as a puppy or a future all-American MBA who knows how to take a business problem and synthesise a solution.

The name must partially determine how a kid is parented.

Like surely no girl named Gertrude has not been raised to be a steroid enhanced shot-putter.

Food for thought people, food for thought.
      always associated max with mad max personally. the first 2 movies were just great.

I wanted to call ours Corto after Corto Maltese, the coolest mofo on the planet, who i'm sure you must have come across now you live in France, but wife was against it

Comment

oh wow, thats a superticket right there. I guess the key risk is whether Biden dies, but apart from that it looks very much like game over from Trump.
        you'd assume it would be 1 term for Joe as president and the Beto steps up for the next two then if it all goes to plan.

Also going to be interesting to follow the legal challenges to the new primary put into the NC race. It's supposed to be another general election but with Harris being screwed a long time ago they changed the proceedures while the result was being challenged. Weirdly he has surgery and is too busy to campaign now...
        Last edited by Trippie; 01-03-19, 10:54.

Comment

Have you started on Survivor yet young man?
          Originally posted by oleras View Post
          I have and its as boring as watching paint dry.

Albeit just the one, but if that doesn't grab you with characters or bikinis...whats the point.
          Very slow first episode (I've not watched the second yet) normally season openers at 1+ hour long? Hopefully the rest of the season picks up, really liked last season. My missus would watch an episode of two from last season but she's committed to watching this season with me.

Poker company reached out to me awhile back about covering an event that a bunch of Survivor alumni play, would've been pretty cool to cover it hope it comes to fruition.
          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Plenty of users here.

The chief financial officer of Revolut, one of Britain’s best-known financial technology companies, resigned in January as the company was grappling with questions over its compliance systems, it emerged on Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
              always associated max with mad max personally. the first 2 movies were just great.

I wanted to call ours Corto after Corto Maltese, the coolest mofo on the planet, who i'm sure you must have come across now you live in France, but wife was against it
              My favourite scene in Inglorious bastards was in the bar and the soliders were toasting the birth of son of one of them Maximilian. Then all hell breaks loose. Great film. Tenuous link I know but hey.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                  Had to talk a couple of people out of investing small money into that.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                    Very slow first episode (I've not watched the second yet) normally season openers at 1+ hour long? Hopefully the rest of the season picks up, really liked last season. My missus would watch an episode of two from last season but she's committed to watching this season with me.

Poker company reached out to me awhile back about covering an event that a bunch of Survivor alumni play, would've been pretty cool to cover it hope it comes to fruition.
                    was watching survivor australia last week. they do it for 50 days!! last season was pretty good, although gameplay was nowhere near as interesting as s36.

Comment

Just looking at this list of most popular Irish baby names. Clearly due to having read every single other thing on the internet.

Wonder the extent to which what you name your kid determines how you raise them. Saw Luke there, which is what we were going to name our kid. But that would surely have been awful choice. I'd imagine a kid named Luke would be raised in the style of a future presbyterian minister. Or if you named the kid Charlie - it would be a month before you pounce on his one or two giggles to rename him Cheeky Charlie, and for ever after the focus would be all on his fun side.

As it is we went with Max, and alternate being treating him as a puppy or a future all-American MBA who knows how to take a business problem and synthesise a solution.

The name must partially determine how a kid is parented.

Like surely no girl named Gertrude has not been raised to be a steroid enhanced shot-putter.

Food for thought people, food for thought.

AFL player Derek Kickett is often used as an amusing example.

Some other good ones here https://www.oddee.com/item_99652.aspx

1 Mark De Man – Defensive soccer player
                      2 2Les McBurney – Firefighter
                      3 Sara Blizzard – Weather Girl
                      4 Dr. Barth Toothman - Dentist
                      When he was young one of my uncles nearly ended up in jail over a shed that got burned down containing the life savings of some pair of old spinsters somewhere in Cavan. It emerged later that the real culprit was his 8 year old brother (my father),
                      SPOILER
                      Bernie

Comment

If Biden is the candidate, Trump would beat him imo.

He would be nearly as bad a pick as Hilary. The only candidates who could be even worse are Warren and Sanders.
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

While Trump has a small lead over other potential Democratic challengers, right now — if the election was held today — he would be in a statistical tie with Biden, 47-46 percent; Sanders, 47-45 percent; and O’Rourke, 47-46 percent, according to a new Quinnipiac University Poll of Texas voters released early Thursday.

The poll shows that Trump could have bigger leads in Texas over former San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro, 46-41 percent; U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris of California, 48-41 percent; and U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, 48-41 percent.

“Former Vice President Joe Biden has the highest favorability of any of the contenders and has a better net favorability than President Trump,” Brown noted. “Former U.S. Rep. Beto O’Rourke also does relatively well on favorability and in a matchup with Trump, but that may well be due to O’Rourke being a home-state favorite.

“But former Housing Secretary Julian Castro, who is also a former San Antonio mayor, does not do as well as O’Rourke.”

Interesting.

Comment

Raoul with the finger on the pulse of US politics as per usual

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                              Raoul with the finger on the pulse of US politics as per usual
                              Well, feel free to lump on your favoured choice.

Biden is too old and a prior loser.

Warren and Sanders won't play in the swing states.

Picking any of them would be electoral suicide.

For the record; here's what I wrote about Hilary last time, about a year out from the election. No doubt you can point to your own forensic analysis....

Hilary Clinton will not be the next President of the United States.
                              After a two-term president of one party, the electorate generally changes tack and elects in the other guys (Bush to Obama, Clinton to Bush, Eisenhower to Kennedy, Truman to Eisenhower). Reagan to Bush Snr is an outlier (but only after Jim Baker's dirty tricks team killed Dukakais - against Bush Snr's wishes and instincts).
                              Her brand is toxic - people forget how divisive the Clintons are - a Hilary candidacy is a godsend to the GOP.
                              She's not a winner. The only election she ever won was a safe Senate seat in NY and she managed to blow an almost-unlosable advantage against Obama in the '08 primary.
                              She's a woman. I don't think America is ready for that.
                              She's too old.
                              Health issues.
                              Bill. (although probably also her biggest asset)
                              Dodgy record as Secretary of State with multiple freebie attack spots for the GOP (Benghazi, emailgate etc etc)
                              She's too rich. Brand Clinton has been money-grubbing away since Bill departed the Oval Office.

Yet she will almost certainly be the Dem candidate and is currently trading around the evens mark - anyone taking this price should be carted off to Dundrum and locked in a padded cell for their own safety

Comment

Comment

Jimmies rustled

Comment

And trump

Comment

Anyone take or recommend a good electrolyte drink or powder(non sugar)? Being doing intermittent fasting and keto for about three weeks now and its phenomenal but defintely need some sort of salt supplement.
                                      Profit before people.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                          Anyone take or recommend a good electrolyte drink or powder(non sugar)? Being doing intermittent fasting and keto for about three weeks now and its phenomenal but defintely need some sort of salt supplement.
                                          Can't help with the request (presume Dioralyte has lots of sugar) but interested to hear more?

Comment

And how every bank in Ireland was going to collapse with everyones money lost
                                            And more shockingly that Federer was finished in 2013?

Here's what I posted back then

LOL

Comment

For the sake of completeness you should say what you wrote about Little Marco too.
                                              Scott Walker.

I got the 'Hilary will lose' bit right in fairness. None of you clowns did, apart from Denny Crane.

Comment

Comment

For the record I had no intention of starting this vile witch-hunt on RD3 who could easily be right for all I know. US politics is just one of innumerable topics on which I haven't a clue. I have just been amused at the manner in which a couple of recent hot takes on US politics appear to be at odds with l'esprit de jour.

Although he definitely said Clinton would rinse Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                    Well, feel free to lump on your favoured choice.

Biden is too old and a prior loser.

Warren and Sanders won't play in the swing states.

Picking any of them would be electoral suicide.

For the record; here's what I wrote about Hilary last time, about a year out from the election. No doubt you can point to your own forensic analysis....

Sad!

Comment

What is the story with loser Biden by the way? Did he try the primaries before or something?

Comment

Can't help with the request (presume Dioralyte has lots of sugar) but interested to hear more?
                                                        Tend to keep eating to a five hour period a day. So like two big meals at say 2pm and 7pm. High fat intake moderate protein, and minimal carbs and zero sugar. So basically tonnes of non starchy veggies(kale, spinach broccoli, sprouts) cheeses, avocado, fish, fatty meats, nuts, eggs ect.

Fat burning levels off the chart for me anyway in that period, concentration levels and mood seem way better too. Obv its hard to take in excess calories in such a short period of eating and cuts out snacking so you'd always see results but feel healthier than ever. Basic science behind it is the less you spike your insulin a day the better, if people are eating over say a 15 hour period they're sending their bodies into constant peaks and troughs. Also meant to be big benifits to letting your body go through regular starvation periods as cells response to stress of starving is to become stronger and improves ability to fight off diseases. Worth reading up on further.
                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

What is the story with loser Biden by the way? Did he try the primaries before or something?
                                                          Dropped out early in 2008 after barely registering in the iowa caucus.

Comment

Dingle Original Gin was awarded the prize for the world’s best gin at the World Gin Awards Ceremony 2019 in London last night.
                                                            Are they the kind of awards that you can buy?

Comment

The longer time goes by the more fervent the trump base becomes, however this also means it will reduce in size come voting time due to the outliers feeling uncomfortable. Trump will get a solid percentage but any semi decent candidate should get a lot of easy wins depending on how gerrymandered it has become.

The two problems are finding semi decent candidates and just how gerrymandered the country is

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                Are they the kind of awards that you can buy?
                                                                Has to be

Comment

Comment

Comment

Tend to keep eating to a five hour period a day. So like two big meals at say 2pm and 7pm. High fat intake moderate protein, and minimal carbs and zero sugar. So basically tonnes of non starchy veggies(kale, spinach broccoli, sprouts) cheeses, avocado, fish, fatty meats, nuts, eggs ect.

Fat burning levels off the chart for me anyway in that period, concentration levels and mood seem way better too. Obv its hard to take in excess calories in such a short period of eating and cuts out snacking so you'd always see results but feel healthier than ever. Basic science behind it is the less you spike your insulin a day the better, if people are eating over say a 15 hour period they're sending their bodies into constant peaks and troughs. Also meant to be big benifits to letting your body go through regular starvation periods as cells response to stress of starving is to become stronger and improves ability to fight off diseases. Worth reading up on further.
                                                                      I've tried it in the past but I found my stomach became quite upset after a number of weeks.
                                                                      Generally I think it's a very successful diet in terms of aesthetics and fat loss, I haven't read enough on the LT health benefits to comment.
                                                                      I'm sure you have this covered but one thing I came to discover was it's certainly worthwhile having a decent magnesium supplement especially for periods when you may not be eating as much greens as you would like.

Also on the electrolytes, I used a very low carb intra training drink a few years ago, all the BCAAs etc. I can't think of the name right now but I'll double check what I've ordered and see can i find it.

Comment

Last few hours for a tour of the potato room.

Dobby if you’re around Clontarf pop in.
                                                                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                            Dropped out early in 2008 after barely registering in the iowa caucus.
                                                                            He tried before that too....

Comment

Trivia quiz: who was the last failed candidate to subsequently win the presidency?

Comment

Trivia quiz: who was the last failed candidate to subsequently win the presidency?
                                                                                Bush One.

Comment

creepy uncle joe for president is a bad joke, come on. He won’t get out of primaries, why would he even waste his time

Comment

What about booze?

I've been keeping to a time restricted diet too and find it good. Bit hazy initially for the first few days, but feels good now.

Comment

Good old ruckus in the U.K. over MP David Lammy calling out some reporter for her White savior comic relief trip to Africa
                                                                                      He’s dead right too, how are people still doing this? Sindo are always at it , every other week they fill a few places in their glossy rag with some Irish z lister or influencer playing mother Theresa and using the locals as props

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                        Bush One.
                                                                                        Correct!

And before him?

Comment

Correct!

And before him?
                                                                                          I'm not your performing monkey you know.

Comment

I'm not your performing monkey you know.
                                                                                            We both know you are.

Comment

We both know you are.
                                                                                              Ok then. Nixon lost in 60 or 62 whenever it was and then got the gig a few years later.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                                The longer time goes by the more fervent the trump base becomes, however this also means it will reduce in size come voting time due to the outliers feeling uncomfortable. Trump will get a solid percentage but any semi decent candidate should get a lot of easy wins depending on how gerrymandered it has become.

The two problems are finding semi decent candidates and just how gerrymandered the country is
                                                                                                Gerrymandering doesn't impact the presidential election.

Comment

Correct!

And before him?
                                                                                                  Nixon?

Comment

So that's 2 of the last 8 or 9 elected presidents had previously been a failed candidate.
                                                                                                    I'm not sure that's solid enough either way to use in the Big Race Trends section in the Racing Post.

Comment

I'll give you boys a chance for the hat trick.

Before Nixon?

And if you can get the one before the one before Nixon, you are a trivia guru and I salute you.

Comment

So that's 2 of the last 8 or 9 elected presidents had previously been a failed candidate.
                                                                                                        I'm not sure that's solid enough either way to use in the Big Race Trends section in the Racing Post.
                                                                                                        The other way of looking at it is that a very solid majority of recent presidents did not have the stain of a failed effort on their record....

Comment

I'll give you boys a chance for the hat trick.

Before Nixon?

And if you can get the one before the one before Nixon, you are a trivia guru and I salute you.
                                                                                                          Literally the one before Nixon - LBJ failed against Kennedy.

Do you want a shovel?

Comment

Do you want a shovel?
                                                                                                            Keep going. This is fun.

Comment

Do you want a shovel?
                                                                                                              Was it not Kennedy who beat Nixon?

My guess is some president who owned slaves

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                Was it not Kennedy who beat Nixon?

My guess is some president who owned slaves
                                                                                                                No, LBJ was a Democrat who failed in the primaries v JFK, but became president at a later stage.
                                                                                                                That's 3 of the last 10 prezzos who achieved this, but apparently it rules Biden out.
                                                                                                                Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 01-03-19, 15:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                  What about booze?

I've been keeping to a time restricted diet too and find it good. Bit hazy initially for the first few days, but feels good now.
                                                                                                                  I don't think any alcohol is ideal for ketosis but beer obviously terrible. Always preferred whiskey without mixer, but with ice/water so that's what I drink now.

Yeah first week was a struggle with cravings but it's worth powering through.
                                                                                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

For those whose thirst for knowledge extends beyond what each American President likes for breakfast, Joe Rogan just released an excellent podcast, featuring an English Journalist who lives in Mexico and writes about the drug trade. Its absolutely fascinating, although pretty hard going in places.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Lammy is generally very impressive
                                                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Never met the Sitch IRL that I know of, shocked that my image of him as a human whippet was wrong
                                                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I don't think any alcohol is ideal for ketosis but beer obviously terrible. Always preferred whiskey without mixer, but with ice/water so that's what I drink now.

Yeah first week was a struggle with cravings but it's worth powering through.
                                                                                                                          Yeah. I was thinking recently that I felt significantly better when I was stricter, and had cut out beer. Might go back to that.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X