Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
    Conor Skehan is on Claire Byrne Live making a lot of sense. Had to smile when he said we have way too many charities all doing the same thing. Pretty sure I said that a few years ago in a well over in the other place.

It’s a scourge in this country. WAY too much duplication and no focused policy at all.
    'The charity sector' is\was a mechanism for the State to avoid having to take direct responsibility. The CRC a prime example.

Hence the ludicrous over-proliferation of such organisations.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      Were you not impressed by him live-eating a dozen bananas on stage?
      It is of course not so much the eating of the bananas that has meaning, rather the symbolism of the bananas.

Impress your acquaintances with this today.

Comment

Were you not impressed by him live-eating a dozen bananas on stage?
        Haha was going to mention that. Very impressed with it!. Bananas give me heartburn for some reason which made it all the more impressive. I was actually thinking at the time I wonder how many Bananas they needed for the full programme. And where would they store them and would he personally select them pre show.

Comment

Let them live in BnB's somewhere out beyond the pale
          says simpleton Finian McFucktard

What an absolute plonker that man is.
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Just over two days to get your selections in for the 2019 Multi Sport Competition.
            Already 11 entries so a huge pot looking likely.

Entries close Thursday 5.30pm.

Testimonials.
            Originally posted by mdoug View Post
            This is great craic for me anyway, much appreciated competition AJ!

Comment

'The charity sector' is\was a mechanism for the State to avoid having to take direct responsibility. The CRC a prime example.

Hence the ludicrous over-proliferation of such organisations.
              Is it just about minister avoiding accountability? Does seem mad how much the state outsources to charities.

Comment

Does anyone still use Groupon or any of those dining voucher sites? Kinda almost forgot they existed.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                  Is it just about minister avoiding accountability? Does seem mad how much the state outsources to charities.
                  I think it's more a historical thing than people dodging responsibility nowadays. The entire primary and secondary education sector was effectively outsourced to the Church. As was hospitals.

Takes a long time to change that.

Comment

Does anyone still use Groupon or any of those dining voucher sites? Kinda almost forgot they existed.
                    Used it for Thai Spice recently, and an escape room and Warner Bros Harry Potter Studios Tour in London just before Christmas.

Use firsttable.ie quite often for half price dinner with some mates that are still in university that wouldn't be going out for dinner otherwise due to poorness.
                    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 08-01-19, 10:55.

Comment

Harrington Ryder cup captain.

Mr Burns teaching Homer the Softbal signals. Scene taken from the 17th episode, Third Season
                      airport, lol

Comment

There are quite a lot of people who bet for the interest and are comfortable with the expected loss . It's not even a need to gamble just the sheer boredom of watching a mid table early round minority sport . The dopamine hit of creating enjoyment out of nothing. Will watch the gab vids later for cardigan fashion pointers.

Comment

Big fold...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                            Amazing fold, not many would fold that I think (yes, j know it was only the third best hand).
                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                              Amazing fold, not many would fold that I think (yes, j know it was only the third best hand).
                              AA is his most likely hand though. 3bet pre. Check flop to control pot on a board that favours the 3Bet callers range hugely. Check call turn and then check jamming the river. He might have some slowplayed KK on the river. It is really hard for him to have bluffs or any value hands we beat. It's a great fold but extremely hard to see how you are ever winning if you call.

Just to be clear I am not saying I would find a fold in game

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                AA is his most likely hand though. 3bet pre. Check flop to control pot on a board that favours the 3Bet callers range hugely. Check call turn and then check jamming the river. He might have some slowplayed KK on the river. It is really hard for him to have bluffs or any value hands we beat. It's a great fold but extremely hard to see how you are ever winning if you call.

Opr
                                It's a funky hand, and there's a lot that can be taken into consideration.

It's a $25k entry, with over 300 players from the 1000 field getting in for either free, or relatively free. It's also 40 places from the money, and he seems to have her outchipped by quite a bit. Not sure how many of those factors are also in play. I can't see KK check that flop, so looks like AA is the only hand that beats her.

Then again, i don't know if 99 or Qs10s shove the river, which could be 2 likely holdings. KQs is probably a hand he plays this way though. He didn't expect her to be that strong anyway, so i doubt he's trying to get her to fold a hand that strong if he shoves. Wouldn't fancy being put in that spot myself though tbh!

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Opr
                                  I'd set fire to the felt pushing my chips in
                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Drones in Heathrow seemingly, I did wonder why it was Gatwick and not Heathrow last time.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Drones in Heathrow seemingly, I did wonder why it was Gatwick and not Heathrow last time.
                                        I had assumed it was because Heathrow had preventative measures. Obviously not. What a mess
                                        airport, lol

Comment

Great play by the people selling drone defense systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                            Then again, i don't know if 99 or Qs10s shove the river, which could be 2 likely holdings. KQs is probably a hand he plays this way though. He didn't expect her to be that strong anyway, so i doubt he's trying to get her to fold a hand that strong if he shoves. Wouldn't fancy being put in that spot myself though tbh!
                                            Just in terms of the line that was taken AA makes sense. The other hands are a stretch. I don't think Q,10 ever shoves the river and 99 is thin plus it would mean not having bet 99 on the flop. AA makes perfect sense on all streets.

I get through that the field is full of inexperienced players as I watched a bit of the stream yesterday and it looked like the biggest value 25k ever. Some of the play was horrendous. I take it though she had been playing with him enough throughout the day to factor in his donk level or lack of it.

Opr
                                            Last edited by Opr; 08-01-19, 19:23.

Comment

Head lice email from school yesterday.
                                              Threadworm email today.

Eagerly awaiting what new parasite will be discovered tomorrow.

Comment

Marriage is two people asking each other what the other wants to eat until one of them dies....
                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I guess larry ellison didn't learn his lesson from theranos

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                    Marriage is two people asking each other what the other wants to eat until one of them dies....
                                                    Told that joke to a married mate, he wasn't impressed . Maybe need to keep an eye on him for shenanigans!
                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

My CTO used to be an engineer in ford and is fully on board with the tesla is a basket case idea.
                                                      He's of the opinion you don't poach the dept heads, you poach the guys in the corner surrounded by shite that knows how a bolt is made

What is your thinking behind eillison sinking 3 commas into it?

Comment

He's in for what 1% of his net worth? Pin money.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                          My CTO used to be an engineer in ford and is fully on board with the tesla is a basket case idea.
                                                          He's of the opinion you don't poach the dept heads, you poach the guys in the corner surrounded by shite that knows how a bolt is made

What is your thinking behind eillison sinking 3 commas into it?
                                                          The guy is an amazing character to say the least. How many years did he spend bashing AWS, while espousing on-prem is king? According to Larry, his new "Autonomous" Cloud DB is now the dog bollocks and superior to AWS/Azure offerings. He's had 3 or 4 wives and is going out with a twenty something model while now in his mid 70's. I reckon he's done it for Musk, they're mates I think. He respects him and probably views him as a similar throwback eccentric/maverick entrepreneur. He doesn't need the money and pledged it all away when he dies anyway. Like SP said its spare change to him.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Stephen Scullion's podcast is a really great listen. I'd say most here would enjoy it, don't really need to have a big interest in athletics. Short 12 - 20 min episodes.

It's a really good insight into the mind of an elite athlete.
                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                  To some extent what Tesla is a 'real option' on style in transport in the same way as Apple was, for most of its history a real option on style in technology. Real options, like all options, are not valued based on discounted cash flows which is the danger with comparing it to Ford - a company that will never be anything other than what it is.

tl:dr your CTO doesn't get it DP. He might end up being right, but it'll be for the wrong reasons.
                                                                  His thinking is roughly it takes 100 years to iron out the kinks in production and manufacturing on the scale needed by tesla. He believes the only thing keeping the lights on is the myth of Musk.
                                                                  Similar to your apple style anology without the, ya know, mass production power of apple

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                                    The guy is an amazing character to say the least. How many years did he spend bashing AWS, while espousing on-prem is king? According to Larry, his new "Autonomous" Cloud DB is now the dog bollocks and superior to AWS/Azure offerings. He's had 3 or 4 wives and is going out with a twenty something model while now in his mid 70's. I reckon he's done it for Musk, they're mates I think. He respects him and probably views him as a similar throwback eccentric/maverick entrepreneur. He doesn't need the money and pledged it all away when he dies anyway. Like SP said its spare change to him.
                                                                    Never trust an oracle guy.
                                                                    Everyone knows that

Comment

at least Tesla has a product!!

Comment

Strong whiff of panic coming out of the UK now.

As some chap or other may once have said:

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Comment

I wonder if this is what Suez felt like for the Brits i.e. national humiliation on an epic scale?

Strewel will remember.

Comment

Think the idea that Tesla is not going to continue to be worth a lot of money is increasingly looking silly. I expect it to fade away over 2019 in the same way as TRUMP! TRUMP! TRUMP! faded away from Denny's repertoire over 2018!

Have no particular liking of the guy, or particular desire for him to succeed (would much prefer the likes of Volkswagen to succeed from a European economic perspective, and they might). But he is clearly creating a business of huge value irrespective of who wins the EV race. It might be overvalued, who knows, but it's very clearly worth a gigantic amount more than zero. Possibly more than current value.
                                                                            Based on?

Comment

Strong whiff of panic coming out of the UK now.

As some chap or other may once have said:
                                                                              Went looking on BBC to see the latest after reading that and they seem sure the EU are about to fold and give May whatever she wants. Most positive spin I've seen on Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                Went looking on BBC to see the latest after reading that and they seem sure the EU are about to fold and give May whatever she wants. Most positive spin I've seen on Brexit.
                                                                                Their need to show 'balance' is precisely what is wrong with the world.
                                                                                Existence of opinion != validity of opinion

My fave conspiracy theory is that BBC management have been promised a big share of privatization profits after Brexit (maybe some deal like Qinetic where they made off like fucking bandits). Mutual back scratching to get Brexit over the line, then vulture stripping.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                  That's just insane.

The EU is implacably (and quite impressively) united.

Comment

There is a ticking timebomb of revolution about to kick off in the UK. Something big is going to go down before E-Day . The ol farts trying to protect their fecking party politic over the greater good is coming to a boil quite nicely. I have faith in the youth and ‘ The Storming of Downing street’ will happen and be marked as a big moment in history. I could of course be wrong (for a change) and the stubborn Brits step on the BRXT landmine with both feet, hitting us with plenty of shrapnel. Boring and fascinating times we live in. I also predict many many deaths from Swine flu and the City of Liverpool to implode around late April .

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

True, doesn't make sense to value it like a normal car manufacturer, they're well capitalised, with automated factories and ultra efficient supply chains, they can't compete with the tent made cars of the future.

Comment

...

Comment

On the basis of 'If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly' It could well best at this stage that they go ahead with a no deal hard brexit.

They have put themselves into this hole, they insist on digging ever further downwards let Johnson and his band of cretins own it, let them have a good look at what they have done and then they can start either digging a path out or fester down there.
                                                                                              We will all get to find out fairly quickly (2 -5 year timeline) just how close or far from the truth project fear and the bright new dawn of an independent UK were.

Comment

True, doesn't make sense to value it like a normal car manufacturer, they're well capitalised, with automated factories and ultra efficient supply chains, they can't compete with the tent made cars of the future.
                                                                                                Is that actually still happening, how far are their current production figures from target?

Comment

Anybody any reccomendations for a B&M option for buying a desk. Room I want to put it in quite small so only want a small desk but everything I've looked at so far seems to be huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                    On the basis of 'If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly' It could well best at this stage that they go ahead with a no deal hard brexit.

They have put themselves into this hole, they insist on digging ever further downwards let Johnson and his band of cretins own it, let them have a good look at what they have done and then they can start either digging a path out or fester down there.
                                                                                                    We will all get to find out fairly quickly (2 -5 year timeline) just how close or far from the truth project fear and the bright new dawn of an independent UK were.
                                                                                                    I think its poison, it smells like poison, there's a guy over there furiously making gagging and dying from poison actions with his hands.
                                                                                                    Lets drink it and see if it's poison

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                      Anybody any reccomendations for a B&M option for buying a desk. Room I want to put it in quite small so only want a small desk but everything I've looked at so far seems to be huge.
                                                                                                      Ikea surely unless you're looking for something fancy. They definitely have small sized basic desks anyhow. Not sure where you'd start outside Ikea for something like that nowadays
                                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

This is a great read as to why Brexit was always a mirage at best (and a stinking, Russian-inspired scam at worst).

Comment

film updates:

Green book-Very formulaic but highly enjoyable 7/10

The favorite- Great first half-poor second half- Great performances and costumes 5/10

Wildlife- underwhelmed- i almost feel disappointed of my disappointment, as was expecting so much 5/10

Roma- superb-simple and beautiful-loved it 8.5/10

Ralph breaks the internet-disappointing- even the kids were meh 5/10

The old man and the gun- all in all, not very good, and not very exciting 3/10

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

This is a great read as to why Brexit was always a mirage at best (and a stinking, Russian-inspired scam at worst).

Thats is very well put. These quotes, while statements of the absolutely bleedin obvious are very stark.
                                                                                                                  national economies are no longer discrete, bounded entities and could only be made so by mass immiseration.
                                                                                                                  Brexit isn’t a time machine. The world that existed in 1973 has disappeared.
                                                                                                                  The rise of Chinese global capitalism ... most obviously state involvement in private enterprises, is completely different to the neo-liberal model of capitalism that had supposedly triumphed.
                                                                                                                  If Brexit is a strategic disaster for Britain, it’s a triumph for Russia.
                                                                                                                  The reality is that Brexit was never conceived of as a strategic project, still less a strategically desirable one. It was always a protest campaign not a plan. Now, it has really come down to just two justifications: to end freedom of movement and to honour the result of the referendum.
                                                                                                                  The necessity of his conclusion is inescapable
                                                                                                                  However, if it were then to come about that - by virtue of a referendum or some other route – Brexit is abandoned it will be vital to understand and make a case for that not on the basis of returning to 2016 but as a long-term strategic decision about Britain’s future, mediated by its regional position and recognizing the fraught complexities of a multi-polar world.
                                                                                                                  I think that is reinforcing the case for a Hard Exit and a tougher stance on the future relationship. IMO It is impossible that they can (re) join as a positive force within Europe even a 75% remain referendum. The only hope of the UK staying intact and being at the heart of Europe is if they exorcise this mind cancer they have inflicted on themselves, and I don't see how that can be done without eating their own mess.

Comment

...

Comment

Raoul is maybe one, two bad sleeps away from blaming Russia for why his 1998 Margaux tasted a bit off one time.
                                                                                                                      I know. It's bizarre to think that the one country, which is run by a murderous autocrat, that sees weakening the EU, weakening NATO and undermining US democracy as being in its strategic interest would actually move to achieve those goals.

Comment

I know. It's bizarre to think that the one country, which is run by a murderous autocrat, that sees weakening the EU, weakening NATO and undermining US democracy as being in its strategic interest would actually move to achieve those goals.
                                                                                                                        He is of course right in a lot of ways

Comment

Without creating a loaded question... thoughts on below

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X