Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Reading Sixty Million Frenchmen can't be Wrong at the moment. One astounding fact, unrelated to the topic of the book, is that 'aboriginal' just means 'the first people in a place according to historical records'. Going to claim pure naivety here, but assumed aboriginal was the actual name of those people in Australia. It seems even more stupid with hindsight given the main part of the name is 'original', which would be a strange name for a tribe to give themselves especially if they don't speak English. Maybe it's the common use of 'aborigine' that makes it seem like a more foreign word.
    'Antipodeans' is a similar concept that was only explained to me about a month ago. I'd assumed it was some meaningful and relevant term for people from Australasia but antipodal is literally just opposite (anti) point of earth (pode)

Comment

Daniel Hannan piece from the weekends Telegraph posted by Lloyd on boards.
      Always worth a reminder of what the ultimate wet dream is for the hard core Brexiteers.

Will EU leaders frustrate a managed withdrawal for the sake of a backstop that London, Dublin and Brussels all say they never want to see activated anyway? It’s hard to say. Many of the 27 governments, mindful of their own prosperity, would want to respond to an impasse by extending the current technical arrangements pending further talks. But some Eurocrats would rather see everyone suffer than watch a post-EU Britain succeed.

So we need to prepare for the prospect of a disorderly Brexit. There would be costs for both sides. The euro crisis might flare up again, and the states nearest to Britain would take a hit. But there would be also be a heavy blow to the UK, which conducts a higher proportion of its trade across the Channel than anyone else.

How might we soften that blow? Our preparations are in a better place than they were before the summer. The lights won’t fail in Northern Ireland. Planes won’t be denied landing slots. It’s true that, to the frustration of some ministers, the Treasury has refused to invest in new customs infrastructure. Then again, why should Britain want additional customs checks? The obvious response to a no-deal Brexit is to remove all our trade barriers.

That was what turned Singapore from a poor, equatorial island into a gleaming metropolis. Singaporeans went from having half our income per head in the 1950s to nearly twice today. Why? Because in 1965, they responded to an acrimonious split with a larger neighbour (Malaysia) by slashing taxes, creating enterprise zones and opening their economy to the world.

Such things are not easily done in a democracy. But attitudes change when people feel they are being bullied. And, make no mistake, if the EU refused to agree with Britain even the minimal courtesies that democracies take for granted with their neighbours, people would conclude that Britain was, in effect, being blockaded. In such a climate, voters would accept reforms that, in more tranquil times, they might see as too much bother.What reforms? After unilateral free trade, the most important would be tax cuts to stimulate growth and attract investment. Corporation tax should be reduced to the OECD minimum of ten per cent, and other taxes that impair economic activity, such as fuel duty, scrapped.

Where would the money come from? Apart from the extra £39 billion that would be immediately freed up, we could drop HS2 and privatise more government assets, including land owned by the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall.

We should repeal anti-competitive EU regulations: the Temporary Workers Directive, the rules on art sales, the GM ban, the internet restrictions – including GDPR. We should ease planning restrictions. We should also (and this won’t be popular) ensure that the City retains its global re-eminence, abolishing the EU’s MiFID rules on transparency across financial markets, removing bonus caps, giving the FCA the explicit remit of increasing competitiveness. The Bank of England, similarly, should replace its inflation target with a growth target – an apparently minor reform that is critical if we need an emergency boost.

But here’s the thing. We should have already embarked on these changes in anticipation of a possible breakdown. Instead, we are spending more and regulating more. EU negotiators have concluded that Theresa May has no interest in economic liberalisation. That has been the problem from the start.

Comment

Reading Sixty Million Frenchmen can't be Wrong at the moment. One astounding fact, unrelated to the topic of the book, is that 'aboriginal' just means 'the first people in a place according to historical records'. Going to claim pure naivety here, but assumed aboriginal was the actual name of those people in Australia. It seems even more stupid with hindsight given the main part of the name is 'original', which would be a strange name for a tribe to give themselves especially if they don't speak English. Maybe it's the common use of 'aborigine' that makes it seem like a more foreign word.
        Yeah it basically means indigenous people. It's surprisingly uncommon knowledge. Despite the fact that's it's a widespread term. It's just in Canada for the native people also.
        The tribes themselves have names like Wiradjuri, and other words that look like nonsense when spelled out phonetically in English.

You're not supposed to say aborigine anymore btw.
        Last edited by Mellor; 05-12-18, 13:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          It's all about the margin of the loss.

100+ and it's hard to see how May can cling on. Then you could be looking at a GE and Komrade Korbin.
          Labour have annoyed me no end during all of this.
          They've spent two years not having an opinion or offering alternative ideas but rather wait until they arrive in power by default.
          I mean, it looks like it might work but it's annoying nonetheless.
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
            If you are recruiting in Ireland now, you either need to pay top dollar or sell the shit out of your company as being the most amazing place to work with the best career path or both.

As a country, we are essentially at full employment.

Already in the last two months, I've interviewed two people who did a great interview but when called back for a 2nd round, shyed off. We later found out that their current employer found out and jacked up their wages so they wouldn't leave.

Every manager in our place is tasked with building a list of potentials and starting the ball rolling regardless of if there is a vacancy or not. We want to be constantly talking to several people so when a job opportunity comes up, we have a pool (No matter how small) to work with.

It's worked well for my current number 2 but we need to up our game as in the next 5 plus years, it's only going one way and that's in the favour of the employee.
            sounds like its time for salary renegotiation
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
              Labour have annoyed me no end during all of this.
              They've spent two years not having an opinion or offering alternative ideas but rather wait until they arrive in power by default.
              I mean, it looks like it might work but it's annoying nonetheless.
              'Might work' in terms of getting them into power. It does however come with the mother of all problems to resolve. If they have any sense, they let the Tories take the hits.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                'Antipodeans' is a similar concept that was only explained to me about a month ago. I'd assumed it was some meaningful and relevant term for people from Australasia but antipodal is literally just opposite (anti) point of earth (pode)
                I know tis mad Ted. . It was only explained to me recently that Sitting Bull was actually called Sit and Bull and was awarded the name due to his boring pontifications in relation to etymology.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                    Daniel Hannan piece from the weekends Telegraph posted by Lloyd on boards.
                    Always worth a reminder of what the ultimate wet dream is for the hard core Brexiteers.
                    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...ising-economy/
                    His point regarding Singapore could be taken as getting rid of Britain made them rich. Sounds like a positive for the eu so....

Comment

picked up a couple of tickets for the copa libertadores (assuming they arrive from viagogo) because when else will I get the chance to go to a south american final?

Bit of a rushed trip going up to Madrid on Saturday and back at stupid o'clock on Monday morning to make Spanish class but will hopefully be worthwhile.
                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                        picked up a couple of tickets for the copa libertadores (assuming they arrive from viagogo) because when else will I get the chance to go to a south american final?

Bit of a rushed trip going up to Madrid on Saturday and back at stupid o'clock on Monday morning to make Spanish class but will hopefully be worthwhile.

There's alot of noise from both clubs at the moment, it's probably just to appease the fans but I'd hold fire on any bookings until it's certain the match will go ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
                          There's alot of noise from both clubs at the moment, it's probably just to appease the fans but I'd hold fire on any bookings until it's certain the match will go ahead.
                          It’s a fair point but Game is on Sunday (if it happens) almost imossible to get a room in Madrid this weekend as it’s a major shopping weekend in Spain so Madrid is full anyway. Hotel rooms for less than €300 a night are like hens teeth already. Even getting from Valencia to Madrid was a bit of a pain with flights booked out.

They also will have sold 60k+ tickets for the game in Madrid and given that they need a winner in time for the Club World Cup game on 18th december they are running out of time if they cancel and rearrange.

Having said all that, I wouldn’t rule it out, they seem to have a serious organisational problem so who knows.

Comment

Is there not an AVE from Valencia to Madrid?

Edit: there is, less than 2 hours too. Flying is a longer option.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                              It’s a fair point but Game is on Sunday (if it happens) almost imossible to get a room in Madrid this weekend as it’s a major shopping weekend in Spain so Madrid is full anyway. Hotel rooms for less than €300 a night are like hens teeth already. Even getting from Valencia to Madrid was a bit of a pain with flights booked out.

They also will have sold 60k+ tickets for the game in Madrid and given that they need a winner in time for the Club World Cup game on 18th december they are running out of time if they cancel and rearrange.

Having said all that, I wouldn’t rule it out, they seem to have a serious organisational problem so who knows.

I thought it was to be played the following weekend, not much of a chance for holding off so!

Comment

Is there not an AVE from Valencia to Madrid?

Edit: there is, less than 2 hours too. Flying is a longer option.
                                Yep, we’re doing the train.

Had planned to fly as it was cheaper (€65 return v’s €125 return on the train) but all good. 6.45am Monday morning to be back in Valencia at 8.35 or so and then straight to class.

Comment

Speaking of being unable to find staff. Company I work for have been looking for a driver to service vending machines (literally just put bars, crisps and drinks in the machine, fix a broken one once in a blue moon) for a couple of months now. Dead handy job, great hours 8.30 to 5 Monday to Friday, get to take the van home so youd only need to go to base twice a week ti stock up and interviewees are turning the job down. It's gone so far that HR are saying that if we find a driver that gets the job they will give us a bonus of some sort.

We're so back it's crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                    Speaking of being unable to find staff. Company I work for have been looking for a driver to service vending machines (literally just put bars, crisps and drinks in the machine, fix a broken one once in a blue moon) for a couple of months now. Dead handy job, great hours 8.30 to 5 Monday to Friday, get to take the van home so youd only need to go to base twice a week ti stock up and interviewees are turning the job down. It's gone so far that HR are saying that if we find a driver that gets the job they will give us a bonus of some sort.

We're so back it's crazy.
                                    What are they paying for the job?
                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                      What are they paying for the job?
                                      It says negotiable, DOE. But when I started with them I had zero experience as a delivery driver and zero experience of anything that I was being asked to do and I started on €12.50 an hour so I'd assume it's pretty similar.

Comment

Irish teacher stabbed to death outside Paris university, hope it's nothing to do with Hitch or his Co worker.

Comment

It says negotiable, DOE. But when I started with them I had zero experience as a delivery driver and zero experience of anything that I was being asked to do and I started on €12.50 an hour so I'd assume it's pretty similar.
                                          Hard to salivate about a monkey a week before deductions living in the greater Dublin area.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post
                                            Irish teacher stabbed to death outside Paris university, hope it's nothing to do with Hitch or his Co worker.
                                            Hitch is in Rennes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                              Hard to salivate about a monkey a week before deductions living in the greater Dublin area.
                                              Yeah fair point. How much dya want for a handy van driving job though? All of the interviewees so far have been experienced van drivers so maybe company not matching what they're on. I dunno. Think the fact you have the van at home is a good thing. Tbh the money I'm on now is decent and allows me to have a decent life, pay all my bills on time and save a bunch each month. So I'm enjoying the job.

Comment

Arsenal surely well over priced at 2/1?

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 05-12-18, 20:23.

Comment

Comment

Arsenal surely well over priced at 2/1?
                                                      Rojo to be sent off at 13/1 is the bet of the game for me

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post
                                                        Hitch is in Rennes.
                                                        Nah, this was a Professor Dowling

Comment

Comment

Is €1500 about right these days for solucitors fees on a property purchase\sale?

Comment

Comment

Halfway there.

Comment

Is €1500 about right these days for solucitors fees on a property purchase\sale?
                                                                  Is Lionel Hutz doing it for you.
                                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

On the right track anyway....

Comment

Had the six month cardiologist checkup today. He goes: it's barely changed from six months ago, just a small bit worse. I go grand - six months times so? - as I start packing to leave a bit relieved. He goes, ah no we need to operate. Seems this was enough of a data point after four visits to tell him that the valve is screwed and just going to get worse, so better to go in now while everything is fine, rather than wait until it gets catastrophically wrong. Proper bait and switch there, I felt, with how he made it seem like good news initially.

He has though left it in my hands (approximately) when the surgery will be as it takes 2-3 months recovery. Between all the pretests needed for something like this, June is around earliest. I'm thinking a nice summer, then maybe end of September, is probably best. Two kids birthdays in September, family holidays in August. Would start recovering then, all going well, in the reasonably nice month of October. Bit hesitant as I'd imagine recuperating over the summer months would be more pleasant, plus how pleasant will I be to be around over the summer knowing the swansong to the summer is being cut open? Any thoughts?
                                                                      So many of us facing heart things. Really should start and Irishheartsboards page. Hope it all works out for the best Hitch. Hope you have changed your lifestyle to suit it all.

I went on a bit of a mad binge for the last couple of weeks, which I need to kick very soon. Been having a few nights a week where I have a glass of red wine. And eating rubbish I normally don't.

On another note, Festive Babies

I am one myself. Born on my due date. Most probable conception. Christmas eve!

Comment

€1,500?????

No way someone decent does it for that.
                                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

@GAB - Hitch just offers up so many of those bloody tweets. Sometimes I can't resist.

Comment

I'd imagine recuperating over the summer months would be more pleasant, plus how pleasant will I be to be around over the summer knowing the swansong to the summer is being cut open? Any thoughts?
                                                                            I'd definitely be for having it done in June. Is it open heart ( ribcage cutting ) for certain? I'm pretty sure they do some valve replacements in a keyholey way.
                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Was thinking it's substantially more. Thought 1% was standard, no?
                                                                                  Yeah 1% is a decent guide for most mid-range houses.

Offline though. You were surely a bit surprised with the ruling? Like they weren't talking about this case. The idea of incidental mention of the merits of a defence in a media outlet leading to cases being abandoned seems mad. It's very different to the Indo story which was specifically about the actual case under trial.
                                                                                  I watched the segment. They absolutely rubbished the defence of provocation and did so using hypotheticals that resembled the case at hand. They did so using very very strong figures as authorities.

How on earth can anyone hope to argue against that? If the judge asks anyone did they see it then she runs the risk of tempting them to watch it. If someone says they have seen it and she directs them on the law then it runs the risk of either having the judge appear to argue for the defence or of making the defence seem controversial and weak. How could the defendant have a reasonable apprehension that he received a fair trial? How could the ordinary man in the back of the courtroom have that apprehension? The law has to be extremely sensitive to these things and, clearly, it is.

Like any area of criminal law it's one of those things that always seems stupid unless you're the one standing in the shoes of the accused. I wasn't surprised at all that it collapsed. The judges are really on edge about this sort of thing recently.

Comment

...

Comment

Why would you pick June?
                                                                                      Because you said June was the earliest. I'm a world class procrastinator, but I'm not seeing any upside in putting this off.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                            €1,500?????

No way someone decent does it for that.
                                                                                            It's only conveyancing, your baby could probably do it at this stage.

Comment

Seems like a dangerous precedent regulating what public broadcasts can express opinions on. Very different to the common sense idea of not expressing opinions on actual ongoing cases
                                                                                              The law recognises that a cooling off occurs. But where the reporting and the case are contemporaneous then it jeopardises a fair trial. The Court also stated that public discussion of legal issues was appropriate and wouldn't generally jeopardise trials but that when a defence was attacked in this way it could prejudice a jury.

Comment

It's only conveyancing, your baby could probably do it at this stage.
                                                                                                He's already doing investigations on title sure.

All joking aside that's really REALLY cheap for a conveyance. Even the outlays would be more than that.

Comment

Was literally just thinking: as it's not 'urgent', and as I like summers and kids look forward to them. Wouldnt like them to lose out. But maybe June and hope to be up and running for late August holiday is better. Taking the most optimistic side of everything here really on operation success and recovery time
                                                                                                  Letterman was back working after 6 weeks. Not everyone's a pussy like me

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                    He's already doing investigations on title sure.

All joking aside that's really REALLY cheap for a conveyance. Even the outlays would be more than that.
                                                                                                    A quick Google shows quite a few doing it at that price. My solicitor friend tells me it's about 3 hours work on average, EZ game.

Comment

Ouch..

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                          Ouch..

Pretty childish from her tbf

Comment

That's unlucky. If the ball doesn't go in after the tackle on lacazette, it's a penalty and a red

Comment

Ah that was great! (First 22 mins, presume it becomes a normal show after that)
                                                                                                              Gets a bit disturbing when Robin Williams comes on. Even worse in hindsight as he topped himself about 5 years after getting one,

Comment

This is what someone at the very top of their game sounds like (wife asked me was I listening to someone being shot).

Comment

Party Poker Millions $20m guaranteed ($5,300 buyin) is down to the last 10 players.

$218k for 10th - and $2.7m for the winner.

There's still a guy left with a $10 average buyin, who is down $2k+ but satellited in for $5. Hard not to root for him

Comment

Sat here in my brothers apartment in London and he's trying to convince me to come work at Google (they need some help in the machines killing people efficiently department) where his girlfriend works...she's still at work...it's after 12AM... Happy where I am thanks!

On the plus side London does have this double beyond burger that I had today...

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                    So many of us facing heart things. Really should start and Irishheartsboards page. Hope it all works out for the best Hitch. Hope you have changed your lifestyle to suit it all.

I went on a bit of a mad binge for the last couple of weeks, which I need to kick very soon. Been having a few nights a week where I have a glass of red wine. And eating rubbish I normally don't.

On another note, Festive Babies

I am one myself. Born on my due date. Most probable conception. Christmas eve!
                                                                                                                    I'm imagining you all begrudgingly on one of the Happy Pear "Happy Heart" courses

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 06-12-18, 00:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                      Party Poker Millions $20m guaranteed ($5,300 buyin) is down to the last 10 players.

$218k for 10th - and $2.7m for the winner.

There's still a guy left with a $10 average buyin, who is down $2k+ but satellited in for $5. Hard not to root for him
                                                                                                                      3rd for 1.36 million

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                        Macbeth in the BGE Theatre. Anyone know anything about the production company? As good as their marketing would have you believe?
                                                                                                                        They seem to be the real deal, one of the three main UK companies and the director at the BGT is one of their top people.

Bord Gais theatre is considered problematic in Ireland though (amongst the handful of people in theatre that I know). Been described to me as putting on Z Cast editions of WestEnd/Broadway shows which give little or nothing to actual theatre here, and always choosing slam dunk no-risk commercial certainties. Make of that what you will, I'm sure there's a valid alternate viewpoint.
                                                                                                                        Be interesting to see if the likes of Rory Kinnear reprise their roles from the London run though, Dublin cast not announced yet I notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                          Sat here in my brothers apartment in London and he's trying to convince me to come work at Google (they need some help in the machines killing people efficiently department) where his girlfriend works...she's still at work...it's after 12AM... Happy where I am thanks!

On the plus side London does have this double beyond burger that I had today...

I'm imagining you all begrudgingly on one of the Happy Pear "Happy Heart" courses

Why do people do this to themselves? She's at Google and may get paid well if you looked at the salary but the hourly wage would make most (social) people run.

It's a fucking genius plan from tech companies, no need to pay your staff, hire people who will enjoy looking at a work screen 14 hours a day, don't give reasonable work hours or even allow them leave the building. Stay here and avoid the rest of the world, there's a pool table over there but don't dare play a full game!

Maybe I've been spoiled in my place (small company with laid back owners) and I'm always telling friends to leave their jobs once they consistently have to work over 40 hour weeks with no compensation but fuck me most people are abused by their employers.
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 06-12-18, 03:46.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X