Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gave blood today. I didn’t realise the irony/significance of the day until I saw the side tubes fill with my crimson red blood. Happy Halloween . muhahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
      Less is more when it comes to a cover letter. A long cover letter is the single greatest turnoff for any candidate.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please find attached my curriculum vitae in respect of my application for the currently advertised position of XXXX. I am seeking to progress my career and I feel that this role offers me the opportunity to do so.

Middle paragraph which needs to be short and concise but covers an absolute max of 3 strengths relevant to the role.

I feel my background, skills and objectives meet the requirements of the role and I am excited at the prospect of joining Company X. I am available at your convenience to discuss this role further and I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
      Mrs Flushdraw
      Thanks Noel!

I just done up my letter and submitted it to the Company. Going to do a bit of job hunting now that I join the unemployed tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
        I gave blood today. I didn’t realise the irony/significance of the day until I saw the side tubes fill with my crimson red blood. Happy Halloween . muhahahaha
        good man.
        My missus works in the head office now so I was on the couch sleeves up the 2nd day in.
        I've a rare enough blood type and dont mind doing it at all.
        They've added a nice touch where they text you to let you know when it's used.
        Mine lasted just over a day before being used in the mater
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
          good man.
          My missus works in the head office now so I was on the couch sleeves up the 2nd day in.
          Ah here, that's a bit of a handy coincidence

Comment

good man.
            What type are you? I have never been asked to donate and thought mine rare enough. It may be on file that I am not allowed though, so not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
              What type are you? I have never been asked to donate and thought mine rare enough. It may be on file that I am not allowed though, so not sure.
              If you lived in the UK anytime during the 80s and 90s, you're not allowed to give blood anywhere but the UK

Comment

MSN to thread

Sky box is dead and they are talking about taking a fucking week to call out to fix it WTaF
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                  If you lived in the UK anytime during the 80s and 90s, you're not allowed to give blood anywhere but the UK
                  I have litres of blood drained every couple of years to keep my feretin levels low and they always ask about this. Have to explain I was born in the UK so it needs to go in the bin. Seems an awful waste. Thought it was just the 80s but probably just the only part I heard. To do with mad cow disease I think.

Comment

The reaction on Twitter to the (months old) news that Barclay's are moving a load of assets to Ireland over Brexit is glorious.

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                      I have litres of blood drained every couple of years to keep my feretin levels low and they always ask about this. Have to explain I was born in the UK so it needs to go in the bin. Seems an awful waste. Thought it was just the 80s but probably just the only part I heard. To do with mad cow disease I think.
                      Yup. I was a regular donor in the north but not allowed down here. Seems excessive but sure what do i know. Maybe its a legit CJD issue but i'd donate in the blink of an eye again if i could. Pity.

Comment

Any jazz fans? The great Pharaoh Sanders is in town next week , I won't be missing it.
                        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                          Any jazz fans? The great Pharaoh Sanders is in town next week , I won't be missing it.
                          Oh my. That'll be great. Will have to see if i can get to that. Big week in work next week though. Hmmmm..... Cheers for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                            Considering we buy blood from the uk as our stocks are too low it’s nonesense. I also can’t give blood but would

Comment

Some shockingly poorly trained kids in betting shops these days. Backed Peshkova first race in Fundalk this morning at 5/2(apols for aftertime). Shop assistent rang bet over, got permission to lay from trader and placed the bet after. Go back later to collect and notice I'm left short a decent chunk. Enquired as to why this was and got the following in reply
                              "eh sorry you were twenty seconds late for the 5/2, price moved to 7/4 when i put it on".
                              To which i replied,
                              "you literally rang and got the bet cleared at 5/2 in front of me."
                              "Sorry i can only offer you the price at the time i place it" he explains with all too much certainty for being clearly in the wrong.
                              I go on to explain the price very likely got cut due to my bet and he obviously has to pay it out at price offered.
                              He told me to take it up with CS if i feel i have an issue. Trying not to laugh in his face i tell him i wouldn't like to get him in trouble so he be best to clarify it with someone. Ten min phone call later with someone from another shop i finally got paid out at right amount.
                              Profit before people.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                  Some shockingly poorly trained kids in betting shops these days. Backed Peshkova first race in Fundalk this morning at 5/2(apols for aftertime). Shop assistent rang bet over, got permission to lay from trader and placed the bet after. Go back later to collect and notice I'm left short a decent chunk. Enquired as to why this was and got the following in reply
                                  "eh sorry you were twenty seconds late for the 5/2, price moved to 7/4 when i put it on".
                                  To which i replied,
                                  "you literally rang and got the bet cleared at 5/2 in front of me."
                                  "Sorry i can only offer you the price at the time i place it" he explains with all too much certainty for being clearly in the wrong.
                                  I go on to explain the price very likely got cut due to my bet and he obviously has to pay it out at price offered.
                                  He told me to take it up with CS if i feel i have an issue. Trying not to laugh in his face i tell him i wouldn't like to get him in trouble so he be best to clarify it with someone. Ten min phone call later with someone from another shop i finally got paid out at right amount.
                                  Call me a cynic but I reckon they are very well trained. Trained to try pay out at lower odds than they took the bet at wherever they can get away with it.

I'd say there is a good portion of people who are casual punters who
                                  A) Probably wouldn't notice they were underpaid and
                                  B) If they did, would accept the line given and think, feck it, still in nice profit.

Comment

Derby after scoring 4 goals in the game against Chelsea in the first 30 minutes!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                      B rhesus neg.
                                      Monkey blood ftw
                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Yup, busy start to next week. Talib Kweli on Monday, Natalie Press on Tuesday and Pharaoh Sanders on Wednesday

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                              Call me a cynic but I reckon they are very well trained. Trained to try pay out at lower odds than they took the bet at wherever they can get away with it.

I'd say there is a good portion of people who are casual punters who
                                              A) Probably wouldn't notice they were underpaid and
                                              B) If they did, would accept the line given and think, feck it, still in nice profit.
                                              I don't think there's any concerted effort among shop staff at any level to withhold funds at any price other than what appears on the screen.
                                              Perhaps there's some efforts from head office to pay at a reduced price unless queried but even then I'd be very sceptical.

It's far more likely in this instance, Situations bet triggered a price cut, the bet was placed at the reduced price, Situation queried the price on payout , Trader notes the price cut occurred within x time when Situation placed the bet and they give benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                I see there's going to be a deal between UK and EU. Its the iron rule of Europe - there's always a deal, and there will always be pretence that there won't be a deal. Why does everyone ignore Baynes in these things? Gotta blame newspapers for making everything seem different each time.
                                                That piece says precisely nothing new.

Comment

I see there's going to be a deal between UK and EU. Its the iron rule of Europe - there's always a deal, and there will always be pretence that there won't be a deal. Why does everyone ignore Baynes in these things? Gotta blame newspapers for making everything seem different each time.
                                                  Still waiting for anyone to explain to me how there is going to be a border and not be a border

Comment

Raab has already backtracked on that.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post

It's far more likely in this instance, Situations bet triggered a price cut, the bet was placed at the reduced price, Situation queried the price on payout , Trader notes the price cut occurred within x time when Situation placed the bet and they give benefit of the doubt.
                                                        It was just simply the case of the young lad not understanding the process. When he rings it over the trader can choose to: a) accept the bet in full, b) reject it completely, C) restrict stake, D) offer lower odds or E) offer split odds. In this case they accepted the full amount at 5/2. When he hangs up he should know that that's the bet he's giving me regardless of any price move in the intervening time(likely triggered by said bet). Agree its nothing cynical on their part, just poor taining as i said.
                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Nah there is definitely going to be a deal. They're not even pretending to argue *much* at this stage.
                                                          So will there be a backstop then? Even if the EU and UK negotiators agree, do you expect the house of the commons to fall into line?

Comment

It was just simply the case of the young lad not understanding the process. When he rings it over the trader can choose to: a) accept the bet in full, b) reject it completely, C) restrict stake, D) offer lower odds or E) offer split odds. In this case they accepted the full amount at 5/2. When he hangs up he should know that that's the bet he's giving me regardless of any price move in the intervening time(likely triggered by said bet). Agree its nothing cynical on their part, just poor taining as i said.
                                                            That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I assume your bet triggers LTL/Max bet, Trader approves/disproves at X price etc but is the onus on the shop assistant to accept the bet on Traders permission or is it on the Trader who approved to accept the bet on their side and honour at the price?

I've never worked in or for a shop based bookies but my sis has for the past few years so hence the dismissal of any systematic efforts by shop staff to knowingly payout at lower prices.

Comment

I assume your bet triggers LTL/Max bet, Trader approves/disproves at X price etc but is the onus on the shop assistant to accept the bet on Traders permission or is it on the Trader who approved to accept the bet on their side and honour at the price?

I've never worked in or for a shop based bookies but my sis has for the past few years so hence the dismissal of any systematic efforts by shop staff to knowingly payout at lower prices.
                                                              I've had a cashier try to do me out of winnings for her personal gain. Sent in a compliant but seemingly ignored .

Comment

Yeah once the trader is called for a bet over a certain amount its the onus of the cashier to carry out whatever instruction he gave them, be it restrict the bet or accept it in full at that price.

I dunno if it was a robot that moved the price after or they manually did it but its inconsequential.
                                                                Profit before people.

Comment

Comment

Comment

The perfect antidote to Brexit chat.............

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Yeah once the trader is called for a bet over a certain amount its the onus of the cashier to carry out whatever instruction he gave them, be it restrict the bet or accept it in full at that price.

I dunno if it was a robot that moved the price after or they manually did it but its inconsequential.
                                                                        Or maybe the cashier is cleverer than you think and is trying to pay you at 7/4 and banking the difference. Do you reckon some of that goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Huybrechts View Post
                                                                          Or maybe the cashier is cleverer than you think and is trying to pay you at 7/4 and banking the difference. Do you reckon some of that goes on.
                                                                          I mean i guess its possible but i think you can decipher very easily whether someone is being dishonest or just generally a bit clueless and fairly sure it was the latter in this case.
                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Bohemian rhapsody absolutely brilliant. Long time since I left phone out of my hand for 2 hours. Very mixed crowd. Ages from I'd say 70s down with mia being the youngest aged 13, What I did love was the fact it was rated age 12 with Two men kissing each other a few times ( be rated 18 a decade ago lol) and mia not embarrassed or uncomfortable in any way. Was obv perfectly normal to her. And yet here was poor freddy holding his secret and very embarrassed back in the 70s/80s. How the world has changed.... Mia absolutely loved the film.. Currently singing we are the champions downstairs, well worth the watch!
                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Its not that dear so you may as well go for the best
                                                                              Cau just off dam square.
                                                                              There's actually a few nice restaurants on that little stretch of road
                                                                              Looks ideal, booked it in, shall report back.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                Bohemian rhapsody absolutely brilliant. Long time since I left phone out of my hand for 2 hours. Very mixed crowd. Ages from I'd say 70s down with mia being the youngest aged 13, What I did love was the fact it was rated age 12 with Two men kissing each other a few times ( be rated 18 a decade ago lol) and mia not embarrassed or uncomfortable in any way. Was obv perfectly normal to her. And yet here was poor freddy holding his secret and very embarrassed back in the 70s/80s. How the world has changed.... Mia absolutely loved the film.. Currently singing we are the champions downstairs, well worth the watch!
                                                                                Had our first midweek date night in ages to it tonight. It's quite cold here in Germany so had a night off, I struggled with rami not being as beefcake like as Freddy was. The facial and hand expressions were on point though.

Emotional.movie through linking back scenes with the songs. Well worth a visit to the theaters

Comment

Going to Lyon and Marseilles next month. Have been to Marseilles before but only got drunk and ate Chinese food. Does anyone have recommendatuons for Lyon, would like a tasting menu it possible for one night

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                    Had our first midweek date night in ages to it tonight. It's quite cold here in Germany so had a night off, I struggled with rami not being as beefcake like as Freddy was. The facial and hand expressions were on point though.

Emotional.movie through linking back scenes with the songs. Well worth a visit to the theaters
                                                                                    Beefcake? He missed arm day at the gym. Freddy was quite puny I thought.

Comment

B rhesus neg.
                                                                                      Monkey blood ftw
                                                                                      I thought it was the other way round. You DON'T have monkey blood. The rhesus factor is negative. I am O Rhesus D negative.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                        brought my kids to see it yesterday also. really enjoyed it, and so did they. it's quite well done in the sense sex and drugs is very prominent, but would stay quite under the radar, or inoffensive for smaller kids.

Also finished the jinx yesterday. Definitely one of the best, if not the best, crime series i've seen.

Cheers for the recommendation

Comment

brought my kids to see it yesterday also. really enjoyed it, and so did they. it's quite well done in the sense sex and drugs is very prominent, but would stay quite under the radar, or inoffensive for smaller kids.

Also finished the jinx yesterday. Definitely one of the best, if not the best, crime series i've seen.

Cheers for the recommendation
                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                          The last scene is brilliant. Perfect way to finish. It's probably worth a follow up as quite a bit has happened since.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                            Yup, busy start to next week. Talib Kweli on Monday, Natalie Press on Tuesday and Pharaoh Sanders on Wednesday
                                                                                            Jaysus wheres talib kweli on? Might have to go to that too
                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                                              The last scene is brilliant. Perfect way to finish. It's probably worth a follow up as quite a bit has happened since.
                                                                                              SPOILER
                                                                                              Absolutely. been itching to go and find out what actually happened to him after that

speaking of the devil:
                                                                                              SPOILER
                                                                                              Last edited by shrapnel; 01-11-18, 12:27.

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                                                Absolutely. been itching to go and find out what actually happened to him after that

speaking of the devil:
                                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                                Yeah I saw that the other day after it was mentioned here. It's pretty unsurprising after watching the series.

I wonder how much influence the coverage in these type of situations plays in the decisions of judges/jurors

Comment

Jaysus wheres talib kweli on? Might have to go to that too
                                                                                                  He's on in the Academy

Comment

Last couple of weeks have been the craziest and by a distance the most stressful in 15 years in this job. Some of it has been very exciting and I won't bbv anything by doing a TR on my trip to Lagos last week until we are home and hosed but following the trip there are going to be a lot of One Time's being called into play. The trip came at a bad time for me as the other project I'd procrastinated the bejaysus out of went live the week before and when I was away it blew up spectacularly. Since then I've been going non stop firefighting and trying to fix the problem in the tiny bit of bandwidth left over. Obv the problems turn out to be fucking stupid schoolboy level coding errors that would have turned up even with the basic testing I did if it wasn't stupid SQL.
                                                                                                    Anyway upshot of it is fuck SQLServer and all who ride in her

Comment

There is a special place in hell for people who

A) Do not put their contact details in their signature on their e-mail

and

B) who set up out of offices, stating, 'I'm out of the office and will reply when I return' leaving no details of when they will return or who to contact when they are away.

Comment

If you were to have the audience of a top jockey for an hour - what questions would you ask them?
                                                                                                        Jumps or flat?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                          Last couple of weeks have been the craziest and by a distance the most stressful in 15 years in this job. Some of it has been very exciting and I won't bbv anything by doing a TR on my trip to Lagos last week until we are home and hosed but following the trip there are going to be a lot of One Time's being called into play. The trip came at a bad time for me as the other project I'd procrastinated the bejaysus out of went live the week before and when I was away it blew up spectacularly. Since then I've been going non stop firefighting and trying to fix the problem in the tiny bit of bandwidth left over. Obv the problems turn out to be fucking stupid schoolboy level coding errors that would have turned up even with the basic testing I did if it wasn't stupid SQL.
                                                                                                          Anyway upshot of it is fuck SQLServer and all who ride in her
                                                                                                          a bad tradesman and all that
                                                                                                          Diarachukwundu Tejumola;1=1 is not a great acccount name?

Comment

and

B) who set up out of offices, stating, 'I'm out of the office and will reply when I return' leaving no details of when they will return or who to contact when they are away.
                                                                                                            That and people who put your can of coke in with your chips.
                                                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

and

fuck that.
                                                                                                              I sent an email.
                                                                                                              Respond back accordingly.
                                                                                                              If I wanted you to have my phone number I would have included it.

Comment

Full 45 min conversation still going strong beside me between two 2yo's about who is the brother and who is the sister. May open the red wine soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                  Jumps or flat?
                                                                                                                  That would be an awful question to ask the jockey.

Comment

1. What is the sound of one hand clapping….(uhuhuhuhuh)

2. Are you that Jockey who hasn’t shagged Tracey Piggott

3. Pat Eddery or John Francome?

4. Greville Starkey or Johnjo O’Neill?

5. How do you stop the horsey bending down to eat the grass , shssshhh.

6. Any tips you bollox, the last two flopped. Jockeys eh?

7. Have you ever eaten horse meat. Be it unknowingly via a LIDL Lasagne or knowingly via a reputable horse Restaurant?

Comment

If you were to have the audience of a top jockey for an hour - what questions would you ask them?
                                                                                                                      As a very casual watcher of all things racing, I thought the recent OTB interview with Bryan Cooper was fascinating. Basically seems to have gotten himself semi blackballed and is sharing all his personal business to get the high level racing opportunities back. That side of the whole game is fascinating and very little talked about openly. Questions along those lines would be of interest to me.
                                                                                                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

...Could only be one question to ask...What would you rather fight, 10 duck sized horses or 1 horse sized duck...
                                                                                                                        ...Then follow up with the old how far coukd you kick a horse over a bar question...

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                                                                          ...Could only be one question to ask...What would you rather fight, 10 duck sized horses or 1 horse sized duck...
                                                                                                                          ...Then follow up with the old how far coukd you kick a horse over a bar question...
                                                                                                                          what is a the largest mammal you could knock out with a single punch?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X