Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
    I would have thought the way people end up homeless was fairly well established. First google response for America:
    For women in particular, domestic violence is a leading cause of homelessness. the country report that top causes of homelessness among families were: (1) lack of affordable housing, (2) unemployment, (3) poverty, and (4) low wages, in that order.

How does that change anything for the story in general? All seems a bit victim blaming to me.
    Was chatting to a homeless woman near where I live, she was quite well on in years by then. She had worked and lived in the area and was driven to homelessness by domestic violence, the street was where she stayed.

A homeless man near me actually used to live in my apartment, lost his job and couldn't afford a new place. He got turfed out, had to stay on the streets and turned to alcohol.

Both were absolutely lovely people when talked to but quickly the signs of addiction and mental health deteriorating could be seen. They started looping in their speech, couldn't say what they thought and only had bouts of coherence, if it wasn't the morning you'd be getting nothing out of them as their imbibed stupor becomes more pronounced as the day goes on. They were so fucking happy that somebody would even look at or talk to them. I can't even remember their stories properly which is sad.
    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 13-09-18, 13:35.

Comment

People don't want to hear that unfortunately Tara but there's so many cases where the drugs/alcohol come after the homelessness, as opposed to being the cause.

So much easier call them all junkies and give it the old personal responsibility line, relieves them of any guilt.
      airport, lol

Comment

Just stumbled upon this via the Brexit thread on boards, one of Strewel's favs

SPOILER

Comment

Even if the drugs came first and they go into freefall is that a wrong answer? Does that now mean that they and their kids should be put up in expensive office blocks that only have microwaves and how dare they complain?

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
            Even if the drugs came first and they go into freefall is that a wrong answer? Does that now mean that they and their kids should be put up in expensive office blocks that only have microwaves and how dare they complain?
            No you're right, they should be treated as humans regardless.
            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
              Denny's guy again.

Absolutely fucking nailing the bullshit. Hero.
              Loved everything about yesterday's piece from him, except the illegitimacy bit in the opening paragraphs, he lost a few points with that backwards nonsense.
              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

In other news my little baby girl said her first word this morning.

'Boobies'

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                  Fold pre > Call > Raise.

As played, bet 110
                  Fold absolutely not. Call maybe. Raise fold I think is fine. Agree on 110.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                    Anyone care to lighten it up and also get nostalgic with a poker hand?!
                    Playing last night in Fitz and this hand caused a lot of debate.

UTG raises to 10 off 400 stack, MP raises to 40 off 140 stack. Me, in the SB playing 450 look down at JJ. The MP player is generally ABC but a bit steamed, the UTG is unknown.

I decided to raise too 100 planning to fold to a shove. Both players call.
                    Flop J98 and I bet the 300 UTG has left.

Thoughts?
                    Get nostalgic with me?

I don't know you... you weirdo!!!
                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                      Loved everything about yesterday's piece from him, except the illegitimacy bit in the opening paragraphs, he lost a few points with that backwards nonsense.
                      I think he can come across darker is excerpts that he really is. He's doesn't blame the people in the situation, more for society putting them there. His issue with illegitimacy is that the breakdown in family ties makes it tough for people to escape poverty but he blames the legitimacy on the intellectuals who promoted sex without responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                        I think he can come across darker is excerpts that he really is. He's doesn't blame the people in the situation, more for society putting them there. His issue with illegitimacy is that the breakdown in family ties makes it tough for people to escape poverty but he blames the legitimacy on the intellectuals who promoted sex without responsibility.
                        It's the concept and terminology of it that I have issues with. As outdated as the term bastard child.

Comment

Great post Hotspur but not as great as your Footsbarn recommendation.

Caught them in Ballintubbert last week and it was just amazing, indescribably brilliant.
                          Sounds like they are intending to make a visit to Ballintubbert an an annual event which is good.
                          Its the third time I've seen them and the shows are better each time. Highly recommended, they are going to turn up in Clonakilty and Dingle over the next few weeks definitely worth the effort. I might even make it to Dingle where they are doing a Moliere show in addition to the stripped down midsummer nights dream.
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Fold sounds good to me there too.
                            I don't see much difference between call /fold and raise / fold

Comment

It's the concept and terminology of it that I have issues with. As outdated as the term bastard child.
                              Pretty sure he's noting an unarguable fact (kids with absentee dads have statistically worse outcomes) as opposed to passing judgement.
                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                Get nostalgic with me?

I don't know you... you weirdo!!!
                                Had to wait 6 years to be able to use that joke... not fucking worth it!
                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

This summers gin.
                                  Need to add a bottle of Garnish Island Gin to that:

Comment

We all know by now that nothing matters but this is too much altogether

FFS !

Comment

Raise fold is crazy and relies on them playing face up... Ie folding tens, shoving aces and calling AK... Haha its not even worth thinking about. Easy fold pre against most live players

Comment

I've often flirted with picking up a bottle of either.

Kindly buy both and give us a review so that I can attack Duty Free in a suitably focussed manner next time.
                                        have had both.

Both taste like gin.

Goes well with tonic.

Hope this helps

Comment

Surely we're past peak gin, what's next?

Comment

Rum!

Comment

Pretty sure he's noting an unarguable fact (kids with absentee dads have statistically worse outcomes) as opposed to passing judgement.
                                              That is an unarguable fact. That's not what illegitimacy refers to though. It refers to children born to unmarried parents. He mentions a lack of spirituality a lot too.

Those elements of his opinions are outdated.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                have had both.

Both taste like gin.

Goes well with tonic.

Hope this helps
                                                I just had chocolate tonic at a distillery in London, not sure how I feel about it with gin but it was incredible on it's own.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                  We all know by now that nothing matters but this is too much altogether

FFS !

the follow up tweet is better
                                                  The POTUS spouting conspiracy theories that the Dems made up the figures
                                                  what a world
                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Rum!
                                                    Rum is a good shout however the core ingredients will make it harder to mass market.

poitin maybe?
                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Rum!
                                                      Find any challengers to Green Island?

That is an unarguable fact. That's not what illegitimacy refers to though. It refers to children born to unmarried parents. He mentions a lack of spirituality a lot too.

He wrote those in the early 90s tbf.

Comment

Assuming you're making a religious connection to the spiritual, it's clear at this stage that they are not mutually exclusive.
                                                        You can be spiritual without being religious and similarly you can lack spirituality while believing that an invisible hand exists.

Comment

Did I miss it before or has no one here recommended Mike Judges Tales from the tour bus?
                                                          You don't have to like country music to enjoy it but if you do it's an absolute don't miss.

I'd known the stories of Johnny Paycheck since forever but still I laughed my tits off at the telling of it in S01E01 Top Class

This is just about the least crazy story in it
                                                          johnny paycheck, patsy cline, the adams brothers, roland adams, arnie adams, don adams, gary adams, country music, interview

Comment

Great post Mr H but i said it with fewer words .

Congrats on the heir Mr R

Kids are great all the same , worse than any dreamt up evil Dickens villain but still great.
                                                            now off to decreche the little tyrants.

Comment

Rum!
                                                              pfft, there is only Conquistador everything else is just third tier.
                                                              Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

He wrote those in the early 90s tbf.
                                                                Aha, ok then. Missed that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                  Put the cork back in the Boyles. What's the Boodles stuff like? Got a bottle as a gift a few weeks ago but not tried it yet.
                                                                  Surprisingly nice. (I say that because it was cheaper than all the rest on the shelf) Like an old school gin.

Daffys is one of my absolute favourites though. Hint of mint in there.
                                                                  Last edited by newbie2; 13-09-18, 17:11.

Comment

Find any challengers to Green Island?.
                                                                    I don't think I've had any rum for a few years now. Do have a few bottles (does rum age well?)

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                      Invited to 2 weddings at end of Nov this year but wife is due in middle of them so can politely refuse to attend. Win win all round.
                                                                      I went to a wedding 2 weeks before the last one was born. The staff seemed horrified and on edge like I was going to drop the bairn right there in the room lol.

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                      No disrespect but anyone that is unemployed at this moment and time does not deserve a free house. Long term unemployed that is. Why do you think landlords won't accept rent allowance or hap. Maybe they have the delusion that a working person will have some respect for the place and be more reliable wth payments etc. Infarness I sure if the likes of Eanonhonda had a property to rent a traveller lady and her lovely bunch of kids would be most welcome.
                                                                      I have a friend who has just split with her partner of 18 years. They have 5 kids. They built the house on his family land and when they split she was the one that had to go as it was his house according to him. She struggled hard to get a place that accepted HAP. She has not worked since she had her first kid 17 years ago. Her youngest is only coming 3 at Halloween.

She struggled as she didn't have a landlord recommendation letter due to not having to have needed rent in her life as she left the family home to live with her partner into the house they built.

It took her 4 months to do it as she started looking in February and she moved in end of July. She is now working part-time since this week. It really is tough for some woman. Thankfully she got someplace, albeit it is very old fashioned etc and a bit dingy. One of her kids has pretty bad Aspergers as well.

She could be classed as long-termed unemployed but had never applied for a benefit in her life. She has her degree although it is a bit dated now and finally getting on her feet. People won't rent to her under her circumstances and it is pretty unfair.

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                      Speaking of people who don’t contribute to society having babies. This recruitment consultant has just had his first, a son.

It’s an incredible feeling just to watch him sleep
                                                                      Enjoy watching the little man sleep, and congrats to you and the missus on the birth of your little boy

Comment

Another IPBer going viral

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Populist watch Ireland is hardly viral

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                                            Populist watch Ireland is hardly viral
                                                                            Yes. That's what means

Comment

Comment

...
                                                                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                    What was that on Dobby! - someone's page on FB? (Can't access as have no account).

looked through the last year of his twitter account, and every single post was automatically generated.
                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

...

Comment

I'm almost sure this has been photoshopped in some way

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                          Rum is a good shout however the core ingredients will make it harder to mass market.

poitin maybe?
                                                                                          Rum is next, it's what gona be pushed next anyway.

Comment

Its a beautiful post, but bear in mind ...

... the logical answer to this post isn't: this person should therefore get €50k a year. It seems like a woeful conclusion to say 'you've no idea what you are doing due to awful circumstances- here's €50k - raise those kids well and look after yourself - problem solved!'

We substitute money for actual care, as actual care is something we haven't thought about how to really do. Sensibly that would involve substituting some welfare payments for better targetted social care. Not to save money, it would probably cost more, but it would be far more successful and nice in the long run.

As it stands right now those seven kids are pretty much destined to lead crappy lives. The €50k isn't stopping that reality. Nor would €100k. Actual intervention and designing a program around schooling, empowerment, exposures to other ways of living, people being nice to them and caring about them, would make a difference though.
                                                                                            What if due to ignorance or whatever, the will isn't there?

What if people just don't give a fuck?

That yoke beside me rarely sends her kid to school. Wife spotted her sending the child off to the shops this morning when he should have been in school.

She gave the kid vodka last Xmas. He's about 7.

Comment

Put every unemployed persons social welfare to learning some sort of programming language.

Accredit a state owned institution for teaching web based technology curriculums.
                                                                                              Put job seekers through it. Make their social welfare dependent on it.
                                                                                              Set up a state owned internship system where these people get real workplace experience.
                                                                                              They won't be unemployed for long afterwards.

Different to jobridge because the skills are actually in demand and can be used remotely.
                                                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

...

Comment

Why isn't wanker tequila being pushed? That's some good shit. Rum is fairly meh to me. Al long as it's not brandy, I'm fine with it.

Comment

Because tequila is fucking disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                      its not too often we disagree.

but you are so wrong.
                                                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                          Only stuff from a nightclub is bad, and yeah that stuff is really bad. But it's like saying whiskey is shit because you bought the cheapest one that exists

Comment

Tequila is the dogs bollox.
                                                                                                            Mate of mine brought a bottle f the 'shit local stuff' from Mexico recently. Better than any shit Ive tasted here

Comment

God I hate it. The taste of it obviously but the smell of it too.
                                                                                                              Most cocktails are shite but Margaritas are the worst.

Think it's the only food or drink I despise.

That Saturday kitchen question "What's your food heaven and hell?".
                                                                                                              I always struggle to think of my food hell but if there's any dessert infused with tequila then that would be it.

Comment

...

Comment

That's exactly what I'm suggesting needs to change. Spend on caring for the kid, not just hand over oodles of cash to the parents and hope for the best. That's a crazy approach.
                                                                                                                  The problem with that idea, harking back to hotspur's post is, you're making the assumption that everybody shares your worldview about what's good for a child.

I certainly do, but some people don't.

What use are interventionist programs when the people 'caring' for targeted children don't care enough?

I'm not saying oodles of cash is the answer either.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                                                    These figures are being put forward as if she is earning 50k into her pocket from the state, when the bulk of that money is going to landlords and what isn't is for feeding and clothing herself and her family.

If you're not looking at the ideology of those creating such graphs and their reasons for sharing them then you are blinding yourself from important information in judging the situation.

And to be honest I'd rather have a hot poker put up my hole than discuss anything political with you. It's impossible to determine whether you're on the level or at it, and that's not a good thing because if your bullshit is indeterminable from your actual beliefs it makes you look like a complete shithead.
                                                                                                                    Working folk need to pay for their housing from their (after tax) income, why should housing contributions be disregarded for welfare merchants?

Comment

Just catching up with the BBV after two bizarre days.

Hotspur with possibly the best post ever made on here.

I'm fully in support of the Take Back the City group. I went into the march yesterday evening from North Frederick St to Mountjoy Sq and there was about 1000+ people there. Most were young (student age) but there was a some older folks and I was clearly the median (age wise )

I wouldn't normally advocate people occupying private property but this is different. The properties that they are occupying have been abandoned for several years and this course of action is not to damage or seek refuge but to highlight the large number of properties in that state/condition while there is a huge housing shortage. Quite simply, I think it's a brilliant strategy and I hope to be able to get involved / help out in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                                                                                        Tequila is the dogs bollox.
                                                                                                                        Mate of mine brought a bottle f the 'shit local stuff' from Mexico recently. Better than any shit Ive tasted here
                                                                                                                        probably mezcal.

new bar in dallas opened when I was back last, 100's of tequilas and mezcals. they had a drink where simple TopoChico mexican sparkling water, pour out a bit and pour mezcal into it. Absolutely delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                          Just catching up with the BBV after two bizarre days.

Hotspur with possibly the best post ever made on here.

I'm fully in support of the Take Back the City group. I went into the march yesterday evening from North Frederick St to Mountjoy Sq and there was about 1000+ people there. Most were young (student age) but there was a some older folks and I was clearly the median (age wise )

I wouldn't normally advocate people occupying private property but this is different. The properties that they are occupying have been abandoned for several years and this course of action is not to damage or seek refuge but to highlight the large number of properties in that state/condition while there is a huge housing shortage. Quite simply, I think it's a brilliant strategy and I hope to be able to get involved / help out in some way.
                                                                                                                          The vacant site levy kicks in on Jan 1st m9
                                                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X