Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's loads of these around, all heartwarming and all but I just never understand why they didn't just buy them themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
      https://youtu.be/5qWsPyJE6PQ

There's loads of these around, all heartwarming and all but I just never understand why they didn't just buy them themselves.
      Motorists wonder if they should stop and assist the weeping cyclist as he weaves through traffic delivering emotional compliments as he passes by. Your gansey is a beauteous blue, sir your shirt is resplendent , is that violet? Madam (tips cycling helmet) most elegant in pink this morning. Hey casual labourer that brown jacket extenuates the pulchritude of your fine manliness .

Raoul cycling to work sporting the new glasses for the colourblind.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
        Certainly if you had a tiny pension pot this is an absolute no brainer if you can afford to forgo the pay rises. It’s not illegal as long as it doesn’t go down in writing and there is trust on both sides as otherwise it would fall foul of salary sacrifice rules.

Making AVCs just before retirement is a no brainer. Getting your employer to put in more is a no brainer. Doing it earlier in life and enjoying tax free compound growth is smart.
        Catching up on a few days here, hence quote to oldish post. What's your opinion on investing pension in property and controlling/renting it yourself? Know the biggest thing is personal preference to risk but with time left to wait it there was a big dip in market, it looks like a no-brainer to me. Returns look good and it's something much easier to understand for the layman than returns on stocks/bonds etc.

Comment

Tis gone wintry.

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
            Catching up on a few days here, hence quote to oldish post. What's your opinion on investing pension in property and controlling/renting it yourself? Know the biggest thing is personal preference to risk but with time left to wait it there was a big dip in market, it looks like a no-brainer to me. Returns look good and it's something much easier to understand for the layman than returns on stocks/bonds etc.
            What do you want me to say? It’s effort and the overheads are high. I wouldnt do it for more than 20% of the pension portfolio (net of debt) and I think your overall pot would need to be 500k+ to justify it at all. P

It needs to be at an arms length basis. IF I was doing it I’d have modest leverage 30-50% and I’d try to take as many variables as possible out of the equation. But being honest for an easy life, better diversification and lower costs I’d probably just go with a property fund. Yes you lose some leverage but you gain diversification and remove hassles.

As for not understanding stocks and bonds maybe read up on the rules of SSASs and pensioneer trustees and all the other stuff that involves before you get down to the actual property investment piece and ask yourself how hard is it to read one book on investing
            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
              Tis gone wintry.
              Big picture :
              SPOILER

Last edited by Hectorjelly; 10-09-18, 12:04.

Comment

Where is that Hectorious?
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

What do you want me to say? It’s effort and the overheads are high. I wouldnt do it for more than 20% of the pension portfolio (net of debt) and I think your overall pot would need to be 500k+ to justify it at all. P

It needs to be at an arms length basis. IF I was doing it I’d have modest leverage 30-50% and I’d try to take as many variables as possible out of the equation. But being honest for an easy life, better diversification and lower costs I’d probably just go with a property fund. Yes you lose some leverage but you gain diversification and remove hassles.

As for not understanding stocks and bonds maybe read up on the rules of SSASs and pensioneer trustees and all the other stuff that involves before you get down to the actual property investment piece and ask yourself how hard is it to read one book on investing
                  I did a bit of research into this recently and concluded you would want to be nuts as a PAYE earner to do it.

Sole exception being perhaps if you inherited property but even then I'd rather sell a house and buy 3 apartments

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                    Big picture :
                    SPOILER

Wow! that looks amazing.
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Cheers, having it as a low % of the overall fund is the biggest thing I'll take from that. I understand a bit about stocks/shares/funds etc but it all feels like sales pitches from pension guys. I am on a life-cycle fund where risk now is medium and will decrease to almost no risk as I approach retirement. I think I am getting 2-3% at the moment but the appeal of the property thing is being hands-on and possibly getting 7-10% rental income as a tax-free return. Could do an apartment and still have plenty in kitty or house for a big % of it, but renting out by the room for 4/5 rooms is where I'd see it working best. I would need to do numbers to see if it'd be worth the time/effort. Maybe the time could be spent reading investment books instead!!

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                      I did a bit of research into this recently and concluded you would want to be nuts as a PAYE earner to do it.

Sole exception being perhaps if you inherited property but even then I'd rather sell a house and buy 3 apartments
                      Don't get PAYE link. Was told that returns are tax free in the pension fund. PAYE etc only kicks in when we eventually get to withdraw down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                        Where is that Hectorious?
                        Torres del Paine, Patagonia. Definitely the most beautiful place I have been!

Comment

For the record, pickled chillies are still as hot as fuck.

Not sure why I expected otherwise.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                              Torres del Paine, Patagonia. Definitely the most beautiful place I have been!
                              Oh, class. Patagonia was on our list this year but have had to dial back the flathiúlacht of the holidays a touch.

Are you travelling around the whole country or just doing the south?

Comment

Saw this video on Reddit yesterday of another spectacular mountain vista in Switzerland - this is so beautiful it doesn't even look real.

Comment

Cheers, having it as a low % of the overall fund is the biggest thing I'll take from that. I understand a bit about stocks/shares/funds etc but it all feels like sales pitches from pension guys. I am on a life-cycle fund where risk now is medium and will decrease to almost no risk as I approach retirement. I think I am getting 2-3% at the moment but the appeal of the property thing is being hands-on and possibly getting 7-10% rental income as a tax-free return. Could do an apartment and still have plenty in kitty or house for a big % of it, but renting out by the room for 4/5 rooms is where I'd see it working best. I would need to do numbers to see if it'd be worth the time/effort. Maybe the time could be spent reading investment books instead!!

Don't get PAYE link. Was told that returns are tax free in the pension fund. PAYE etc only kicks in when we eventually get to withdraw down the line.
                                  I think Raouls point is he’s weighing up transferring out of a corporate pension and setting up a pension structure that PAYE folk typically wouldn’t do such as a Small Self Administered Scheme and the costs associated with same.

Setting up a property Invesment via your pension scheme makes managing it by the room very difficult. Your pensioneer Trustee won’t like it and would prefer an agency be involved and that they get independent valuations etc. You need to do quite a bit more research I suspect if you decide to pursue this. Pay for some good advice is my final suggestion for you.
                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Headphones on!

Louis CK gets a call from president Trump about his first stand up set since the allegations.

Comment

This guy might be a genius

FOR EXCLUSIVE CONTENT http://patreon.com/kyledunniganSIGN UP TO RECEIVE EMAILS FROM KYLE: http://kyledunnigancomedy.comFOLLOW KYLE DUNNIGANInstagram: http:/...

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                        Oh, class. Patagonia was on our list this year but have had to dial back the flathiúlacht of the holidays a touch.

Are you travelling around the whole country or just doing the south?
                                        Trying to do the whole country in three weeks. I arrived in San Pedro de Atacama yesterday, currently suffering some combination of hangover and altitude sickness

Comment

There's a recording on Soundcloud doing the rounds which is allegedly Stephen Ward telling somebody of exactly what happened with Keane and Walters /Arter.

If it's true, it looks really bad for Keane and probably not going to be great for Ward if it's proven that he's the one who leaked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                            There's a recording on Soundcloud doing the rounds which is allegedly Stephen Ward telling somebody of exactly what happened with Keane and Walters /Arter.

If it's true, it looks really bad for Keane and probably not going to be great for Ward if it's proven that he's the one who leaked it.
                                            I have it on WhatsApp - It's def Ward and def true

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                                              I have it on WhatsApp - It's def Ward and def true
                                              Was it him talking to a mate who recorded it? Pretty shitty of the mate if so

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                Was it him talking to a mate who recorded it? Pretty shitty of the mate if so
                                                He sent it onto a Whatsapp Group (was a voice message) with buddies of his in it.(lot of LOI players in it etc).. One sent it on then to regular Joe and of course it spreads then.

Comment

Allegedly a voice recording from Stephen Ward on Roy Keane's bust-up with Harry Arter and Jonathan Walters. Keane unsurprisingly comes off as not a nice char...
                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Ward has been royally stitched up here.
                                                    He will probably not play for ireland again.
                                                    I'm not sure how I feel about that
                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                      Ward has been royally stitched up here.
                                                      He will probably not play for ireland again.
                                                      I'm not sure how I feel about that
                                                      He has but he should know better than to trust a group with that
                                                      Last edited by Guest; 10-09-18, 16:21.

Comment

Roy is and has always been demented. Walters is 35 in a few days, Roy was done at that age, to be having a go at a guy who's arguably been our best and most committed performer in the last 5 years is absurd.
                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                          Roy is and has always been demented. Walters is 35 in a few days, Roy was done at that age, to be having a go at a guy who's arguably been our best and most committed performer in the last 5 years is absurd.
                                                          I doubt anyone will be shocked by the details of the story

Comment

I think Raouls.... Pay for some good advice is my final suggestion for you.
                                                            Cheers. Wasn't meaning to sound like I was looking for free help or anything. Just had my pension agent suggest it so it's been on my mind. Didn't know if it was a new thing that's really good or just something he likes. Anyway, no more needs to be said. I appreciate your replies.

Comment

Cheers. Wasn't meaning to sound like I was looking for free help or anything. Just had my pension agent suggest it so it's been on my mind. Didn't know if it was a new thing that's really good or just something he likes. Anyway, no more needs to be said. I appreciate your replies.
                                                              I didn’t think you were looking for free advice at all. What I’m simply saying is don’t expect a guy selling a property fund or a structure to invest in property to be impartial. Hence pay for explicit advice rather than heed a guy with a vested interest. Anyway I’m sure you’ll look before you leap and let us know how it goes for you.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                  I doubt anyone will be shocked by the details of the story
                                                                  Not shocked but somewhat surprised. Everyone knows Keane is a bit of a loose cannon and is likely to react badly in a bust up, but the way Ward tells it, he actively went out of his way to start a fight with the two of them. That's just mental, even for him. I don't see how his position is tenable and I'd be one to normally back him to the hilt in the past

Comment

Everyone knows Keane is a bit of a loose cannon
                                                                    Fuck you you cunt

Comment

Not shocked but somewhat surprised. Everyone knows Keane is a bit of a loose cannon and is likely to react badly in a bust up, but the way Ward tells it, he actively went out of his way to start a fight with the two of them. That's just mental, even for him. I don't see how his position is tenable and I'd be one to normally back him to the hilt in the past
                                                                      He actively set out to break a players leg before. He's unhinged.
                                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

He actively set out to break a players leg before. He's unhinged.
                                                                        Ah yeah, but he was a Manc cunt [emoji41]

Comment

That it?

Was expecting something exciting.
                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

“Roy doesn’t take a back seat. He picks the seat up and throws it at people.” Tony Cascarino.

Comment

Id have thought altercations like that between players and manages/coaching staff would be somewhat normal, if they werent we'd be questioning if they cared enough.
                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                Fckn prick fell 20 runs short of top English scorer and locking up a point for me in the AJ's all year multi sport competition.

AJ's comp is the best of all these kind of things we have done here.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                  Id have thought altercations like that between players and manages/coaching staff would be somewhat normal, if they werent we'd be questioning if they cared enough.
                                                                                  Bust ups would be common but I would have thought more from an over zealous tackle or a manager/coach shouting at the players to do more in a session, pushing them harder when the player thinks they are already flat out.

An assistant manager going into a player while on the treatment table having an injury looked at and calling him a prick and a cunt isn't normal for me.

Comment

Sure, but it's hardly surprising Roy is a lunatic. As when he was a player the passion that makes him lose the rag is the same passion that wins games, you decide whether it's worth taking good with bad.
                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

I think it's a step too far and I would be a big fan of Keane for club and country.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                        Fckn prick fell 20 runs short of top English scorer and locking up a point for me in the AJ's all year multi sport competition.
                                                                                        Hah, some battle between him and Root all afternoon to catch Buttler and then to be ahead of the other in the series total (a battle they weren't even aware of). And both fell agonisingly short.

Comment

I think it's a step too far and I would be a big fan of Keane for club and country.
                                                                                          Generally a fan too but McCarthy came across well I thought when discussing Saipan on Off the Ball, no great revelations but seemed alright plus this stuff now makes me question Keane a bit more.

Ward is definitely going to come off the worst out of all of this though, terrible judgement on his part.

Comment

Comment

White 'butter'.

That actually has filled me with overwhelming existential dread.

Comment

AJ's comp is the best of all these kind of things we have done here.
                                                                                                Ya it’s been great, May turn me into a Cardiff supporter yet but I think your too far ahead with more potential for points.

Comment

@HJ What flights/routing did you take to get there? Am considering something similar for next years adventure.
                                                                                                  Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                  https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

...
                                                                                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

...
                                                                                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Keane should slap that Ward fellow with one of his many many footie medals. I've heard worse outside Mourne road church.. from me mudder...at me christening....

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                                          Ya it’s been great, May turn me into a Cardiff supporter yet but I think your too far ahead with more potential for points.
                                                                                                          Far from it, there are still 12 events to settle, I'd say I'm only just about fav. Because of Coleman's 100M time a few weeks ago you are ahead 'in running'
                                                                                                          I should be able to pick up a point or two in the Aussie rules but the rest is wide open.
                                                                                                          Still can't figure out whats expected to happen in the mma

Comment

Sting and the other members of the Police frequently Rory Keaned each other as did many many band members. Seems locker room footie talk has pressed on a few petals.

Keane just a normal yobbo from Cork.

Comment

They'd never throw Ward out of the team for telling the story to his mates would they?

Comment

They'd never throw Ward out of the team for telling the story to his mates would they?
                                                                                                                They've been throwing Wards out of places for years now.

Comment

Still can't figure out whats expected to happen in the mma
                                                                                                                  The Whittaker chap is still World Champion and not expected to defend it again this year because of injury, so there's a good chance most of your chasing pack have another 2 points on you there
                                                                                                                  I'd guess there's at least some sort of non-zero chance that one of the following might happen to help you
                                                                                                                  a) his injury position changes and he does fight again this year.
                                                                                                                  b) he dies suddenly and vacates the belt.
                                                                                                                  c) fails a drug test or commits a serious criminal offence and they strip him.
                                                                                                                  d) he voluntarily vacates to try to do something different with his life.
                                                                                                                  e) the entire UFC is shut down by the Feds for some reason.

Comment

Remember how good Djokovic was before tennis toughened up on their drug testing🤔

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                      p him.
                                                                                                                      d) he voluntarily vacates to try to do something different with his life.
                                                                                                                      e) the entire UFC is shut down by the Feds for some reason.
                                                                                                                      Sounds like a very good idea

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                                                                        They've been throwing Wards out of places for years now.
                                                                                                                        A lad scored in a nightclub late one night and was driving the girl home the following morning as they drove past the local halting site she says 'Pull in here and I'll jump out'
                                                                                                                        WTF says yer man, 'I thought you said you worked as a nurse up in the hospital'
                                                                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                                                                        'No I didn't', she says, 'I said I was a Ward Sister'

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                                                                          @HJ What flights/routing did you take to get there? Am considering something similar for next years adventure.
                                                                                                                          Flew to Santiago from London with BA. Excellent flight, would recommend. I'm flying to México in two weeks, then home from there, and the whole thing cost about 1500.

We booked all our internal flights here, be warned that the bus and air companies dont accept international credit or debit cards, thus took us quite a bit of hassle to realise. You can use this booking site to get arount it: recorrido.cl

The luxury buses here are great, very easy to sleep on.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X