Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    James Ryan about to lose his second professional match.

That Gareth Davies is one of those lads who looks great when there's no pressure. Useless when there is!
    Some fierce soft tackling in the lead up to their winning try, not sure who it was that comically waved at the scorer as he breezed past because of the commentary being in a foreign language
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
      He's pointing out the incongruity of singing a rabble rousing dirge that celebrates a terrorist as a hero and is normally sung only by intellectually retarded drunken fools alongside another song that is a powerful response to the kind of morons that sing songs the celebrate low life murderers.
      Hope that helps explain it to you
      Sure what do you expect from Limerick folk
      hi ole

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

SPOILER
        You're killing me 5Star
        Is Dobby 5StarPool?

Comment

He's pointing out the incongruity of singing a rabble rousing dirge that celebrates a terrorist as a hero and is normally sung only by intellectually retarded drunken fools alongside another song that is a powerful response to the kind of morons that sing songs the celebrate low life murderers.
          I’ve actually never heard Sean South described as a terrorist before. We are talking about a period of Irish history just post the formation of the Republic and a decade before the civil rights movement in the North. I think that’s a shaky enough description to be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Arazi View Post
            Is Dobby 5StarPool?
            Nah, 5starpool said he shouldn't really call people cunts a while back so that was his not so subtle way of calling me a cunt.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
              Nah, 5starpool said he shouldn't really call people cunts a while back so that was his not so subtle way of calling me a cunt.
              Ok Sorry. That’s class

Comment

Clare man living in Limerick. I brought my 4 year old to the homecoming in the Gaelic grounds. Sean South was belted out about 20 minutes before the team came out. 10 minutes later zombie was. Everyone sang along to both. Both are Limerick songs.

Also terrorist??? It wasn't Canary Wharf.

Comment

Ok Sorry. That’s class
                  Yeah I lol'd. I'd be the first to admit I'm a.cunt

Comment

Opened that Jameson Black Barrel last weekend when I ran out of beer. Finished the bottle between last night and tonight. Real smoky kinda flavour off it and goes down way too easy.

Comment

James Ryan about to lose his second professional match.

That Gareth Davies is one of those lads who looks great when there's no pressure. Useless when there is!
                      IF he had been playing I’d doubt Leinster would have lost. Ian Nagle started well than gifts them field position via a daft penalty and then stupid turnover ball to score the winning try. James Ryan easing his way back knowing his position is very secure.

Gareth Davies should have been yellow carded for the knee drop on James Lowe as well. I’m annoyed Leinster lost but they have at least 10 players to come back in so I guess I’ll have to take it on the chin.
                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                          IF he had been playing I’d doubt Leinster would have lost. Ian Nagle started well than gifts them field position via a daft penalty and then stupid turnover ball to score the winning try. James Ryan easing his way back knowing his position is very secure.

Gareth Davies should have been yellow carded for the knee drop on James Lowe as well. I’m annoyed Leinster lost but they have at least 10 players to come back in so I guess I’ll have to take it on the chin.
                          Didn't watch it but, will catch up tomorrow, you can guarantee the periodisation of their S&C will be very heavy at the moment, leading up to important heineken cup games, no interest in pro14 this time of the year

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                            Two thanks tinged with nostalgia from myself and Courier on this!
                            Ah, I'm experimenting with some strictly controlled drinking at the moment.
                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I’ve actually never heard Sean South described as a terrorist before. We are talking about a period of Irish history just post the formation of the Republic and a decade before the civil rights movement in the North. I think that’s a shaky enough description to be fair.
                              I'd never heard of him before... Sounds like a complete cnut according to his Wikipedia page

Comment

Just made a fooking incredible Aldi crab meat linguine. Currently sinking Aldi's finest chateauneuf du pape.

Living the yellow pack V-Raoul-Richie life.
                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                  Ah, I'm experimenting with some strictly controlled drinking at the moment.
                                  Presume he meant the bygone days of opening a bottle and not stopping til the job was done.

Anyway, bottle gone now. Championship 1/4 final at 11am in the morning should be interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                    Didn't watch it but, will catch up tomorrow, you can guarantee the periodisation of their S&C will be very heavy at the moment, leading up to important heineken cup games, no interest in pro14 this time of the year
                                    Oh I know. They still had it in them to win. Dev toner and Cian Healy were fantastic. Unreal good for a first game back tbh. Fergus McFadden on fire as well.
                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Comment

Comment

Sad are the homes round Garryowen
                                          Since they lost their giant pride.
                                          And the banshee cry rings every vale
                                          Round the Shannon side
                                          That city of the ancient walls
                                          The broken Treaty Stone, undying fame
                                          Surrounds your name - Sean South of Garryowen.
                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Oles drunk, obv

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                              I'd never heard of him before... Sounds like a complete cnut according to his Wikipedia page
                                              Maybe his wiki page was scripted by a member of the B Specials. He doesn’t sound like the sort of lad you’d go on the tear with, I’ll give you that.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                  Series one repeat of Sharon Horgan and Graham Linehan comedy Motherland on BBC 2 at 10pm tonight. Probably a precursor to season two which is due before year end.

Recommended.
                                                  Cheers, really enjoying this and probably would have missed it without this rec here.

Thinking about it this century we've had Early Doors, Peep Show, Extras, Green Wing, IT Crowd, Gavin & Stacey, Phoenix Nights, Detectorists, Smoking Room, Outnumbered, Vicious, Inbetweeners, Car Share & The Thick of It. And theres probably loads I've missed.
                                                  But the point is that the whole idea that there's no longer any good comedy on UK TV is a bit mad - ok very little will get 15 million audiences any more but there's still some great quality out there.

Comment

Stupid international break weekends.

Comment

@Raoul you, and my daughter, have a new vicar* in town. He's quite familiar.

* Are they called vicars? Only really know the religion based on occasionally inadvertently watching Vicar of Dibley
                                                      I guess it's one form of public theatre for another.

Rectors is what they're called.
                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Maybe his wiki page was scripted by a member of the B Specials. He doesn’t sound like the sort of lad you’d go on the tear with, I’ll give you that.
                                                        Sounds like a crypto-fascist based on his wiki. Mind you, that description applies to most generations of IRA men.

Comment

He looks like him. And I watch all TG4 matches on mute.

SPOILER
                                                          And GFYV4V.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                            Stupid international break weekends.
                                                            Wouldn't be too bad if we had an Irish team worth watching.
                                                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Oh I know. They still had it in them to win. Dev toner and Cian Healy were fantastic. Unreal good for a first game back tbh. Fergus McFadden on fire as well.
                                                              Watching it now, the pro14 really is a massive advantage in Europe. Its how Munster can overperform so easily. No relegation, "no cold rainy nights in Stoke" so to speak as well. The sheer level of physicality and pressure involved in games in England and France make our lives so much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                Just made a fooking incredible Aldi crab meat linguine. Currently sinking Aldi's finest chateauneuf du pape.

Cant put me in Raouls category unfortunately, I too live the yellow pack version and with less kids to drain my funds.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                  Cant put me in Raouls category unfortunately, I too live the yellow pack version and with less kids to drain my funds.
                                                                  I just drink good wine, eat wankerfood and have a fancy umbrella.

I don't even own my own car.

Comment

I just drink good wine, eat wankerfood and have a fancy umbrella.

I don't even own my own car.
                                                                    Doesn't count when your wife has a car.

Comment

Wales away @13/5 surely the bet of the day ?
                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                        Doesn't count when your wife has a car.
                                                                        Well, I bought it tbf.

In return, she kindly allows me to drive it occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                          Wales away @13/5 surely the bet of the day ?
                                                                          . Were you basing it on Denmark relying on amateurs to field a team or just fancy Wales?
                                                                          Denmark have their first team back for this

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
                                                                            . Were you basing it on Denmark relying on amateurs to field a team or just fancy Wales?
                                                                            Denmark have their first team back for this
                                                                            Oh !

Still fancy them though, in a double now with Seahawks later.
                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

He looks like him. And I watch all TG4 matches on mute.

SPOILER
                                                                              And GFYV4V.
                                                                              I have Eir for the broadband so I have wall to wall Pro14 coverage in English now. I’ll miss the cupla focail. The two lads may look somewhat similar (dark hair, young and fairly tall) but the playing style and competency are miles apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                Watching it now, the pro14 really is a massive advantage in Europe. Its how Munster can overperform so easily. No relegation, "no cold rainy nights in Stoke" so to speak as well. The sheer level of physicality and pressure involved in games in England and France make our lives so much easier.
                                                                                True but it’s how it should be in the other domestic leagues tbh. There isn’t time to prioritize internationals, European cup and the domestic games. Plus it’s good to give exposure to Rory o Loughlin or Josh Murphy to see what they have.

The gas thing is the welsh don’t do the same as the Irish provinces.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Been shopping in Lidl and Aldi from the very earliest days* of their arrival in Ireland. Doing a family domestic shop in Tesco or Super Valu is just madness.

* I started out shopping with them in rancho Blancho about 15 years ago I’d say when absolutely everything was on a pallet and they had the most basic of a warehouse feel to the stores.

Just laid up here after hosting our 3 year olds birthday party. Absolutely wrecked but I’ll miss the hosting when it’s all activity centres or going to the cinema. Something great about having a few folks and kids over and just the milling about and the madness of it all. Give me trampolining and flying kites any day.

Comment

Just laid up here after hosting our 3 year olds birthday party. Absolutely wrecked but I’ll miss the hosting when it’s all activity centres or going to the cinema. Something great about having a few folks and kids over and just the milling about and the madness of it all. Give me trampolining and flying kites any day.
                                                                                    Just back from Second Sundays. Myself and four of my childhood mates do it whereby on the 2nd Sunday of each month, we each host in turn for everybody else to come over, wives, partners and kids all come too. Today, there was 9 adults (one was away with work) and 7 kids. Proper mayhem but it's absolutely great!

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                        Just back from Second Sundays. Myself and four of my childhood mates do it whereby on the 2nd Sunday of each month, we each host in turn for everybody else to come over, wives, partners and kids all come too. Today, there was 9 adults (one was away with work) and 7 kids. Proper mayhem but it's absolutely great!
                                                                                        That's a great idea, might float it with a couple of friends.

Comment

This is a fantastic little doc, on many levels. Has a real modern feel to how it was shot, an intimacy that seems unusual for something shot in the 60s. The accents are cool too, nobody speaks that way anymore. If you have a spare 25mins, it's well worth a watch..

When Erich Segal died in April of 2010, I remembered a short film for which I had supplied the music. In 1965, as a graduate student at Harvard, I was the on...

Comment

...

Comment

Hans Rausling's Factfulness is a brilliantly uplifting read. (h/t Keane!). I'd highly recommend it for a better view on the world.

I'm just about finished Enlightenment Now by Pinker which is pretty much the same, he makes regular reference to Rosling, a handful of Chomsky to read that I'll probably get through before this for some balance. Rational Optimist is another that is similar.

Gates calls Enlightenment Now "My new favourite book of all time" https://www.gatesnotes.com/Books/Enlightenment-Now

Comment

See the papers today saying systematic cervical cancer checks will have to be ditched due to legal liabilities and hence no lab being willing to do the tests. Unsurprisingly.

Not sure who should be blamed most but media deserve so much of blame for not emphasising that these tests always have false negatives (in every current known test), but their benefit is they spot most issues.
                                                                                                The whole thing stinks, breast screening is coming under pressure and the new bowel cancer screening is under threat as well.
                                                                                                The ambulance chasers can share blame with the press on this one.

Comment

Hans Rausling's Factfulness is a brilliantly uplifting read. (h/t Keane!). I'd highly recommend it for a better view on the world.
                                                                                                  It was Emmet who mentioned it originally I think. I'm still only about half way through it as like Sapiens I just read it a few pages at a time. Very good alright, something everybody should read really.

Comment

I never cease to be amazed by the lengths people will go to to grift small money but this is exceptional

Comment

...

Comment

Really enjoying Theodore Dalrymple atm, would be curious about Mrs Duke's thoughts on him.

edit: completely different to the uplifting books just mentioned though

Comment

May take the opportunity to mention the books thread in case anyone is unaware of it :

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                            Oh !

Still fancy them though, in a double now with Seahawks later.
                                                                                                            2018 Seahawks are going to be a shadow of recent years imo with all of the changes in their roster.

Comment

2018 Seahawks are going to be a shadow of recent years imo with all of the changes in their roster.
                                                                                                              Holding their own atm against Denver.

Family in Seattle, so have to be a fan!
                                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Chargers game is on the wire now.
                                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

@brady. Always dismiss Pinker a bit maybe due to the stupid name. My failing clearly. Does he write well? Vaguely remember, but maybe not, trying to read something he wrote on topic similar to Jared Diamond (of Guns, Germs, and Warfare fame), and finding it not being great by comparison. Might be misremembering him though.
                                                                                                                  Pretty sure I mentioned Diamond before when comparing his most famous to Sapiens and you said something along the lines of "unparalleled genius"(hard to disagree).

It's good for sure, I read a vox article for some balance(https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...ity-war-debate) which I thought was a standard enough critique for a lot of popular science whereby authors make vast generalisations.

The Rational Optimist is similar but puts the focus on progress as being a result of trade, markets before cities where Pinker claims the speed of progress since the Enlightenment is due to changes in ideals, it's just a different positive perspective on how we're at this point in time. How the Mind Works is apparently his best.

Comment

Comment

I never cease to be amazed by the lengths people will go to to grift small money but this is exceptional

jesus what a thundering cunt of a woman
                                                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

These videos that keep popping up with people buying glasses for colourblind people to be able to see colour for the first time. It's been bugging me but are they just really expensive or why are colourblind people not just putting them up as a priority to buy?

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                                                          These videos that keep popping up with people buying glasses for colourblind people to be able to see colour for the first time. It's been bugging me but are they just really expensive or why are colourblind people not just putting them up as a priority to buy?
                                                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X