Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The TRDF is so strong that people can't tell when he's joking.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      Has One Pico improved over the last few years? Was just bogstandard French food when was there in 2015. Good, but nothing outstanding.
      It's just very good cooking with very good ingredients. No wankery!

Service is excellent, even the most demanding Horsehead Elitist would find little to complain about.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Get the kids back today after a three day visit to Granny.

Definitely would make you start googling boarding schools.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your relatively young uncle Tar. I was just talking to a friend yesterday about his brother in law who died whilst out jogging last year. I commented that you rarely hear of regular cyclists doing similar (well in my experience) . I wonder why that is . Anyway his BIL had an underlying heart condition (even though he ran Marathons) . I can’t for the life of me understand why someone with a heart condition like he had would go jogging. He was only late 40s. I myself got checked out recently due to an ‘feeling faint’ issue and was told the ticker was in fine fettle , however I’m still paranoid whilst jogging but not whilst cycling.

Comment

Picnic at Hanging Rock finale this evening. Anyone else like it. I love it but most I ask go meh.

Comment

Was gonna head to that Big Grill festival in Herbert Park on Sat. Has anybody been?

€20 entry with no concessions seems pretty steep!

Comment

Brill

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                  Sorry to hear about your relatively young uncle Tar. I was just talking to a friend yesterday about his brother in law who died whilst out jogging last year. I commented that you rarely hear of regular cyclists doing similar (well in my experience) . I wonder why that is . Anyway his BIL had an underlying heart condition (even though he ran Marathons) . I can’t for the life of me understand why someone with a heart condition like he had would go jogging. He was only late 40s. I myself got checked out recently due to an ‘feeling faint’ issue and was told the ticker was in fine fettle , however I’m still paranoid whilst jogging but not whilst cycling.
                  His wife was actually diagnosed with a genetic heart condition last week, so now my father is being tested for it and if he has it my siblings and I are to be tested also. Same condition my cat has so I give her beta blockers every day.

My heart is not as affected when cycling as it's not full body. I don't know, running is very stressful on the heart but obviously a lot more factors come into hearth health than staying fit, diet and genetics.
                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 15-08-18, 09:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                    Was gonna head to that Big Grill festival in Herbert Park on Sat. Has anybody been?

Was there two years ago. At the time was same 20e entry but all the craft beers were 5e if I remember so you make it back there. Food varys. Can get burgers and baps for reasonable value but some of other stuff is a rip off.
                    If weather is nice it's grand I wouldnt bother if not.
                    airport, lol

Comment

It is pretty steep, was pondering heading in on Sunday but not gonna happen.

If you do go, pay a visit to smokestak, have been to their restaurant in london twice now and can't wait to go again

Comment

Been a couple of times over the years, a bit pricey and after a while all the food tastes the same. Last time I went we spent all day sitting in the one place drinking. Could've done that in a boozer for free.

Comment

Was there with work last year, food seems to be about 2x what it should be, queues were very long, but that was the Fri. I wouldn't have gone with my own cash.

Comment

going sunday.
                            Bought two for one tickets months ago.
                            €20 a head is craxy money considering it's quite expensive once you go in too.
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                              His wife was actually diagnosed with a genetic heart condition last week, so now my father is being tested for it and if he has it my siblings and I are to be tested also. Same condition my cat has so I give her beta blockers every day.

My heart is not as affected when cycling as it's not full body. I don't know, running is very stressful on the heart but obviously a lot more factors come into hearth health than staying fit, diet and genetics.
                              My dad just had a quadruple bypass completely out of no where, never smoked, ate well, kept fit. Guess it's ahead of me. As well it was only a stress test and angiogram that picked it up.

My heart is not as affected when cycling as it's not full body.[/B].
                              I was slightly reassured when I went for that GenoFit study recently when the girl that was doing it said she was actually surprised how little my heart rate changed on the bike test, esp considering how inactive I've been this year.

Comment

So overpriced rip off seems to be theme for the event.

Anybody any recommendations of getting out with herself and infant for some fresh air for the whole of Sat. Bit of drink and food along the way?

Big Grill does tick these boxes but will be rode as i'm doing the above it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                  Have been a number of times in recent years. A solid non nonsense reliable establishment.
                                  I particularly like that they don't feel the need to give you the full ancestral history of each ingredient as it goes cold in front of you.

Hipsters killed food.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                    My dad just had a quadruple bypass completely out of no where, never smoked, ate well, kept fit. Guess it's ahead of me. As well it was only a stress test and angiogram that picked it up.

I was slightly reassured when I went for that GenoFit study recently when the girl that was doing it said she was actually surprised how little my heart rate changed on the bike test, esp considering how inactive I've been this year.
                                    Ouch, hope he is all right. I guess we don't know really what diet factors really are good/bad for our hearts (our vision of eating well likely differs), and does stress and sleep affect it too? Probably. Stress is ridiculous, guy here in work just became coeliac and apparently it's likely because of stress, according to his doctor anyway.

I must do that GenoFit test if it's still available. If I used a bike or these days use a crosstrainer I never really have unsteady breathing even when flooring it, just very used to it and it seems your body gets very efficient with similar use as I used to be covered in sweat and really breathless. Running is always harder on you I feel even when you are used to it, having to support everything. I struggle with fitness as it's likely what is optimal for having muscle mass or really great fitness is probably not optimal for health/longevity.

Comment

So overpriced rip off seems to be theme for the event.

Anybody any recommendations of getting out with herself and infant for some fresh air for the whole of Sat. Bit of drink and food along the way?

Big Grill does tick these boxes but will be rode as i'm doing the above it seems.

The rip off element is lessened if you find a Wild Icarus at the MetalMan stand
                                      what age is the kid?
                                      If you are gonna have a bit to eat and drink, maybe howth/DL/bull island (not a lot of drink there)
                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                        The rip off element is lessened if you find a Wild Icarus at the MetalMan stand
                                        what age is the kid?
                                        If you are gonna have a bit to eat and drink, maybe howth/DL/bull island (not a lot of drink there)
                                        Only a month old. Took 3 weeks leave and now back in work but cracking up in the house at the weekend. Weather is supposedly meant to hold for Sat.

Think i'll embrace the robbery and go grill fest. Love a crafty and we can Pub Transport to Herbert park and we can both a have a few. The others will involve the car.

Comment

Only a month old. Took 3 weeks leave and now back in work but cracking up in the house at the weekend. Weather is supposedly meant to hold for Sat.

Think i'll embrace the robbery and go grill fest. Love a crafty and we can Pub Transport to Herbert park and we can both a have a few. The others will involve the car.
                                          You can only spend what you have in your pocket, and to be fair, it's an okay day out - just a bit gougey sometimes. I suppose yourself and herself will only want to eat so much. Fat cnuts like myslef want to load up - bringing the costs up.

Comment

fair play, I brought my daughter every year and it's grand. IF it rains avoid though. Fucking buggy is a nightmare in the rain in the park

Comment

At least we've set your expectations, only up from here

Comment

I did that test too. The bike test was a bit simple I thought. No real stress . Felt comfortable talking right through it. Bone density was extremely high . See I'm not fat I'm big boned .

All the best to the ol man from me

Comment

Going to Big Grill with work tomorrow, hoping not to spend any of my own money and drink enough that it won't be awkward for the day

Comment

A gang of us heading Friday evening, hard to avoid gouging any place nowadays. Those craft beers are 6 quid a pint anyway, hipster burgers not much change out of a tenner either.
                                                    Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                    https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

6e a pint, avg of 6.50 in a pub for a craft.
                                                      40 beers and you're freerolling.
                                                      Eating is cheating.
                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Edit: A guy gets hit with a rock...be warned.
                                                        [NSFW="A guy gets hit with a rock"]
                                                        If they come at you with a knife, you come back with a....rock...[/NSFW]

tis gone now it seems, no offense meant.
                                                        Last edited by oleras; 15-08-18, 14:51.
                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Ah ole, that's bordering on a snuff movie. A bit of a warning would be nice.
                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                            Ah ole, that's bordering on a snuff movie. A bit of a warning would be nice.
                                                            Really ? I thought it was quiet funny

Ill edit the post.
                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

What time do I need to be in the Airport for a 6am flight to Ibiza
                                                              His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                Taxi straight from Coppers young man...

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                  Taxi straight from Coppers young man...
                                                                  6am? forget coppers and taxi after bruxelles
                                                                  3/4am by my reckoning.

Comment

Day of the week, airline, checked bag or not?
                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

...Not quite log worthy yet but- chatting to a girl for a little while, went on 1st date about 7 weeks ago, then had 2nd date a couple of weeks later...Messaged a bit but haven't seen her since so have spent about 6 hours in each other's company...
                                                                      ...Conclusion- we are heading to Lanzarote on Tuesday for 5 nights...Will trip report when I get back...
                                                                      ...Edited because of a stupid mistpye that Dobby kindly pointed out...
                                                                      Last edited by luckforsome; 15-08-18, 17:28.

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                        ...Not quite log worthy yet but- chatting to a girl for a little while, went on 1st date about 7 weeks ago, then had 2nd date a couple of weeks later...Messaged a bit but haven't seen her since so have spent about 6 hours in each other's company...
                                                                        ...Conclusion- we are heading to Lanzarote on Tuesday for 5 fights...Will trip report when I get back...
                                                                        Awful long way to go for 5 fights. Just box the head off her here.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                          Day of the week, airline, checked bag or not?
                                                                          Tomorrow. Family of checked bags TUI chartererd flight not sure what airline.

Thanks
                                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Tomorrow. Family of checked bags TUI chartererd flight not sure what airline.

Thanks
                                                                            4 is enough time not to be rushing etc with family. One of first flights out at that time so you'll be ahead of crowd somewhat
                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

The airport chat comes up a lot on here and some seem to always arrive insanely early to me, 2+ hours for short trips within Europe and I've seen 3 hours mentioned for pre clearance!

Carry on - 1 to 1.15 hours
                                                                              Checked bag - 1.15 to 1.30 hours
                                                                              US Preclearance - 1.45 to 2 hours

And that usually give me time to get something to snack on or a drink without rushing.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                                                                The airport chat comes up a lot on here and some seem to always arrive insanely early to me, 2+ hours for short trips within Europe and I've seen 3 hours mentioned for pre clearance!

Carry on - 1 to 1.15 hours
                                                                                Checked bag - 1.15 to 1.30 hours
                                                                                US Preclearance - 1.45 to 2 hours

And that usually give me time to get something to snack on or a drink without rushing.
                                                                                I'd agree but for a charter flight you won't be using the bag tag and drop, there will be a long queue to check in bags so I'd allow the full 2 hours.

A guy I worked with was notorious for missing flights from Dublin, he spent his life flying and reckoned if he left home a half an hour early for flights he was losing the equivalent of a couple of weeks holiday time. Never missed a flight home though
                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

This is shaping up to be a great game

Comment

...
                                                                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

...

Comment

If you never miss a flight you're probably doing it wrong.

Comment

I don't think I could face a flight before 11am, a lazy lazy man.

Comment

I've only ever missed one flight and that was due to the initial flight being delayed and the connecting flight not waiting.

I've managed to just about get quite a fair few flights by the skin of my teeth but my preference would always to be early and relax/have a beer rather than rushing/killing myself to try make it. There's something inherently wrong with being stressed / rushing / missing a flight when you are on holidays and should be on Rancho relaxo time.

Comment

I don't think I could face a flight before 11am, a lazy lazy man.
                                                                                              Dublin airport at 5:25am is a sight to behold.

Comment

hmmm.

Tinfoil hat zerohedge fanatics foaming over every single speck of news that suits their confirmation bias (on both sides of the divide!) throwing shit at each other on repeat.

An impossible read I'd have said!

Comment

Off on me travels. Have a carry on , checking in a case and going through preclearance plus fancy a drink and a snack . Can anyone recommend a drink and a snack ? Roughly how long to get the drink and the snack ?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                    hmmm.

Tinfoil hat zerohedge fanatics foaming over every single speck of news that suits their confirmation bias (on both sides of the divide!) throwing shit at each other on repeat.

An impossible read I'd have said!
                                                                                                    Ah there's a dynamic to it after you've been reading a while. ToothSayer and a few others to an extent are trolling the bulls.

Comment

Find is good to find very specific DVDs that you'd usually borrow from the cousins?
                                                                                                      Specific DVD named in cousins place

Comment

Do you mind me asking what condition it is? It is a pain in the hole when it happens and have all the genetic testing done etc. Went through it all 5/6 years ago now with the eldest.

Comment

This airport one is not about Dublin, it is Heathrow.

Flying on a Saturday morning in 2 weeks from Heathrow to Miami. Flying with Virgin and have one checked in bag. Fly out at 11.35am

Booked a hotel close to T3, and have a shuttle bus there to take us. But with no pre-clearance done in London, is 2 hours ok? I have never been to Heathrow, so no idea how big that terminal is.

Comment

If you can get to the Heathrow earlier, I would. 2 hours probably OK for, but an extra half hour hanging around isn't much of a hardship. I agree with the poster who said that they always get to the airport in loads of time (Lao Lao?). Why bother flirting with unexpected delays?

Comment

Heathrow is gigantic and a pain to get around, give yourself plenty of time. Only flight i've ever missed was a connection there

Comment

...

Comment

Yeah. I'd be tempted towards four hours at Heathrow. That place can be a clusterfck. Way more than two hours anyway.
                                                                                                                  Are each of the terminals that big then? we are staying less than 5 mins away from the terminal.
                                                                                                                  Not going to bother with breakfast till we through security and all anyway, so it is a case of getting up and getting the shuttle bus.

Cheers folks

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                    I never really understand the obsession with what time you need to be in an airport.
                                                                                                                    The planes don't wait for you, that's why. People don't generally want to miss them.

You can arrive at Derry Airport less than an hour before a flight easily. You go in, walk 20 meters to security, do that and you are in the exact departure lounge you need to be in. It is THAT small.

Prestwick Airport is a good bit bigger, I would add on an extra half hour.

Glasgow Airport much bigger again, add on another hour.

Unknown airport, not knowing way around. It can be puzzling. Especially those huge London ones with multiple terminals. SO it isn't an obsession, it is just being sensible and doing your homework before you fly!

Comment

Yeah. I'd be tempted towards four hours at Heathrow. That place can be a clusterfck. Way more than two hours anyway.
                                                                                                                      WTF is wrong with people.

Sure just cancel the hotel and sleep on the airport floor. Just in case like.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                        This airport one is not about Dublin, it is Heathrow.

Flying on a Saturday morning in 2 weeks from Heathrow to Miami. Flying with Virgin and have one checked in bag. Fly out at 11.35am

Booked a hotel close to T3, and have a shuttle bus there to take us. But with no pre-clearance done in London, is 2 hours ok? I have never been to Heathrow, so no idea how big that terminal is.
                                                                                                                        On a flight like that they are not going to go without you if you are a few mins late. Unless you have a catastrophic delay somewhere 2hrs is LOADS of time.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                          It can be puzzling. Especially those huge London ones with multiple terminals. SO it isn't an obsession, it is just being sensible and doing your homework before you fly!
                                                                                                                          I don't think there is anywhere better signposted or easier to navigate than an international airport.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X