Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been advised that Netherlands at - 2.5 is practically buying money, so I will be funking for at least a 3 goal Dutch win. I have a bit on total goals too, so 4-0 or 4-1 would be perfect.

I still won't watch it though.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        Settling quite nicely into the part of the holiday where you have maybe one small idea for what to do during the day and might not even do it. The idea of a three week holiday is great as much as the little folk put a bit of constant pressure on.

Wife was renegotiating her work contract in Ireland recently and asked for 30 days holidays in lieu of some pay. Seems like a great idea. Six weeks is absolutely minimally acceptable annual holidays imo.
        I think I have 36 days but I wouldn't say I use more than 20. Two weeks in summer, one at Christmas, and the odd spot day here and there. Coupled with the general flexibility it does me fine.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
          I've been advised that Netherlands at - 2.5 is practically buying money, so I will be funking for at least a 3 goal Dutch win. I have a bit on total goals too, so 4-0 or 4-1 would be perfect.

I still won't watch it though.
          That's a great bet. Par score is probably 6-0 (they beat Italy, a team ranked higher than us 12-1).

There is zero pressure on Ireland. And our defence is definitely our strength....
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
            Btw I like Ireland's flag in the Hockey world cup being the coat of arms for the whole country, the north are playing too?

Yep, like rugby and cricket, it's an all-Ireland sport.

Good spread of places represented in the squad: Cork, Limerick, Kilkenny, Omagh, Coleraine, Belfast, Dublin and more.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                Yep, like rugby and cricket, it's an all-Ireland sport.

Good spread of places represented in the squad: Cork, Limerick, Kilkenny, Omagh, Coleraine, Belfast, Dublin and more.
                Be silly not to have a few extra protestants in for those sports

Comment

Keep an eye out for Kelly Jonker (from open play) and Caia van Maasakker (from corners) today. Even if they stuff us, those two are well worth watching.

Comment

Gonna be a Maasakker all right.

Comment

Gonna be a Maasakker all right.
                      8/10. WP.

Comment

The difference between 6 Furlongs and 6 1/2 Furlongs does get somewhat exposed when your 33/1 front runner gets beaten on the line

Comment

Comment

It's more impressive that they got to the final the more I think about it. I practically was living in Amsterdam when my ex lived there (work even let me work from there) and you would always see people cycling with their hockey sticks and playing in courts, it seemed hugely popular for women and men.

Then on the other hand you have Ireland where I've never even heard it mentioned, I asked a girl here with me and she has no idea what hockey is and the Irish players have to fund travelling and playing in the event themselves, getting sponsorship from some software company I've never heard of that have a fund for charity, which apparently our national womens team is. Another thing they sponsor is a food bank.
                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 05-08-18, 14:08.

Comment

You know what I liked about Amsterdam, people cycled home from work without dressing up like Lance Armstrong
                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                You know what I liked about Amsterdam, people cycled home from work without dressing up like Lance Armstrong
                                Cycling any decent distance in non-cycling gear is not very comfortable. A 10-minute cycle from work, obviously there's no need to get kitted out. A 40 minute cycle, however; no way I'd cycle in work clothes.

Would you play football in a pair of jeans?

Comment

When you go out at night it's class because you are cycling everywhere drunk. I remember a 10 bike pileup on the way to Leidseplein that we were in and everybody just laughing and writhing on the ground for ages, good times.

Girls aren't oompa loompas either on a night out, it's just people in trainers or cons dressed fairly casually. The young Dutch even have the craic before their craic reducement surgery, which I assume the government gives them at some point.

Comment

Well some lads look like the got a sponsorship deal to cycle home, couldn't all be going 40 mins
                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                      Cycling any decent distance in non-cycling gear is not very comfortable. A 10-minute cycle from work, obviously there's no need to get kitted out. A 40 minute cycle, however; no way I'd cycle in work clothes.

Cycling on their bikes is completely different, really comfortable, slower, sitting upright and they cycle for hours every day on them. It's not all road bikes like here. You'd get laughed out of the place for dressing up (as much as they can laugh anyhow). It's such a great way to get exercise in over there, cycling hundreds of km a week without even noticing tbh. The average cyclist here probably sweats way more too as they just aren't fit like the Dutch are on bikes, even if the Dutch decide to floor it.
                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 05-08-18, 14:35.

Comment

nice side game
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post

I do a thirty minute cycle twice a day in normal clothes. I couldn't be happier on my journey. Full disclosure: when reggie does his cycle he has a camera and panier bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                            I do a thirty minute cycle twice a day in normal clothes. I couldn't be happier on my journey. Full disclosure: when reggie does his cycle he has a camera and panier bags.
                                            Thanks for that

If I tried that in normal clothes, they would be soaked in sweat. But I am trying to beat my segment times on Strava pretty much every day.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                              Am going to be in need of a couple of tickets for the AI hurling final.

Not sure how scarce they are going to be this year, but if anyone happens to come across 1/2/3/4 I'd fucking love ya for it!
                                              If anyone is nice enough to help me out with this PM me please, I need two tickets for this bad!

Will give ya €50 for pints for yourself whoever you are
                                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

This is gonna be a siege.

Here's hoping we can survive the first quarter and get into the game a bit. In a funny kind of way, we have a complete free pass here - the only team with any pressure on them is Holland.

Comment

Would have loved it if there was such thing as field hockey in the christian brothers school. Only discovered it years after leaving school and realised it was primarily the protestant schools who had hockey fields. They all seem to be well in with the cricket fraternity. Joined up with Clontarf 5ths and flourished. Scored a great goal away to Corinthians one time.

Playing on the gravel in Gorey was always an experience. You had to be ready for the fight in the Iveagh Grounds, butchers they were.
                                                  Navan were always a great team to play, they would have a spread of stuff for you after the game. Quatered oranges, sambos, crisps. You wouldnt get the like in any soccer game.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                    Would have loved it if there was such thing as field hockey in the christian brothers school. Only discovered it years after leaving school and realised it was primarily the protestant schools who had hockey courts. They all seem to be well in with the cricket fraternity. Joined up with Clontarf 5ths and flourished. Scored a great goal away to Corinthians one time.
                                                    My two clubs (coach in Clontarf, played in and umpire for Corinthians) there!

Comment

Can someone please write a less shite "we like the proddies, honest" song

that fucking yoke for the first time an irish team make a final

Comment

Is that right. I was playing around the time they were just migrating to the new pitch in Mount Temple. My neck used be crook because of it, hows your back these days?. Haven't heard you cribbing about it in a while?.

Comment

George Hamilton special there...

"But Ireland's defense has done well"

less than 5 seconds later... goal

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                            Is that right. I was playing around the time they were just migrating to the new pitch in Mount Temple. My neck used be crook because of it, hows your back these days?. Haven't heard you cribbing about it in a while?.
                                                            It's in rag order but sure we persist.

Comment

When you go out at night it's class because you are cycling everywhere drunk. I remember a 10 bike pileup on the way to Leidseplein that we were in and everybody just laughing and writhing on the ground for ages, good times.

Girls aren't oompa loompas either on a night out, it's just people in trainers or cons dressed fairly casually. The young Dutch even have the craic before their craic reducement surgery, which I assume the government gives them at some point.
                                                              Have seen a lot of women cycling in heels on nights out.

Comment

George Hamilton doesnt know what hes watching. They should have kept the greyhound racing commentator.

Comment

...Holy shite..That 4th goal, top corner finish at just the 94km ph, Unreal...
                                                                  ...Is there any chance they feel sorry for us in the 4th quarter when it's 6-0 and just take it easy?...

Comment

Looks like it's gonna be the widest win margin in womens hockey world cup final history by some distance.
                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

5Starpool will be liking this. Would like to say this is music to his ears but thats probably a leap to far. You cant tell that lad what he'll be watching.

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                        ...Holy shite..That 4th goal, top corner finish at just the 94km ph, Unreal...
                                                                        ...Is there any chance they feel sorry for us in the 4th quarter when it's 6-0 and just take it easy?...
                                                                        Zero. Looking at 10 here.

Not that it detracts from the achievement.

Comment

Netherlands are absolutely superb tbf. Perfect combination of skill and teamwork.

Comment

The St Trinians would see off this Dutch team no bother

Comment

Zero. Looking at 10 here.

Not that it detracts from the achievement.
                                                                              ...This is true...I'd say they will class yesterday as their greatest moment in hockey...

Comment

That's a great bet. Par score is probably 6-0 (they beat Italy, a team ranked higher than us 12-1).
                                                                                Funking the perfect score prediction here although head says 9.

That drag flick by van Maasakker was rather good.

Comment

...

Comment

Is scoring in hockey more like football or rugby? Like is 6-0 a football style battering or a rugby style respectable distance.
                                                                                    It's probably a soccer 2 or 3-0.

They just put up a graphic showing that the top 4 scorers in the competition are Dutch. That's unprecedented and shows you just how good they are. Makes the achievement of Team GB to beat them in the Rio Olympics look even better in retrospect.

Comment

Is scoring in hockey more like football or rugby? Like is 6-0 a football style battering or a rugby style respectable distance.
                                                                                      By previous final standards its an unprecedented mauling!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%...ckey_World_Cup
                                                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post

Comment

The Dutch team training 6 times a week, up to three times a day they were saying there, bit a bit surprising if they didn't win. They were all over Ireland in that match. Although Ireland did beat some other pro teams.

Comment

Bielsa at Leeds could be fun!

Comment

LIVE: Irish Open Tennis Championship on TG4. Ceart go leor

Comment

The Dutch team training 6 times a week, up to three times a day they were saying there, bit a bit surprising if they didn't win. They were all over Ireland in that match. Although Ireland did beat some other pro teams.
                                                                                                Ah yeah, pros >>> amateurs. Such is reality.

Still, incredibly proud of the achievement overall. It will probably only sink in for the players over the next while how monumental it was.

Knowing the procilivities of the coaches, I'd say it will be a good night tonight! A team to be hugely proud of.

Comment

...

Comment

Bad day to plan a BBQ.

Just watching back the replay there. Chloe Watkins gave a very good interview, impressive.

Comment

So ye taxpayers are now on the hook for Raoul's kids hockey training?
                                                                                                      Yeah, I'll be expecting top dollah now.

My usual fee for umpiring is 1 pint. Depending how many dodgy decisions I've given. Could go to 2 now with all this exposure!

Comment

Hadn't realised before now but one of the squad actually grew up playing in my club.

Just to date me properly, I played with her da.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                          Russians
                                                                                                          Never met any Russians
                                                                                                          Never spoke to any Russians
                                                                                                          Never had any formal meetings with Russians
                                                                                                          Never spoke about the election
                                                                                                          Never discussed help in the election
                                                                                                          Never actually asked for help in the election
                                                                                                          They asked for help but it was a waste of time
                                                                                                          NO COLLUSION!!! <<<<< We are here
                                                                                                          Ok they colluded, but it didnt really matter
                                                                                                          Ok they colluded, it helped swing it, but what are you going to do about it?
                                                                                                          Is collusion even a crime?

Looks like we might be moving the needle again
                                                                                                          Move the notch again...

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                                                                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Probably one positive from celtic tiger era that we had so many private school girls with little other worries in life other than honing their field hockey skills.

Its a bottom three sport though, utterly shit.
                                                                                                              Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                              Only netball is worse.
                                                                                                              I loved playing hockey, played that in secondary school and played in the school team.

Netball I played in the school team for both primary and secondary and also went back to play in a ladies team. I loved netball!

I never undrstood thelack of sports in the Donegal schools, complete crap.

Comment

Looks like it's gonna be the widest win margin in womens hockey world cup final history by some distance.

Probably one positive from celtic tiger era that we had so many private school girls with little other worries in life other than honing their field hockey skills.

Its a bottom three sport though, utterly shit.
                                                                                                                Was it one of the players or just a random south dubleen hockey gurl?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                                  Only netball is worse.
                                                                                                                  The only sport that exists due to a missunderstanding of the written down rules

Supposed to be fun if you're really really good at it though!
                                                                                                                  Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post

It is singularly too cold to be shite at running around to even pretend to enjoy anything other than elite sport in Donegal

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                    I loved playing hockey, played that in secondary school and played in the school team.

Netball I played in the school team for both primary and secondary and also went back to play in a ladies team. I loved netball!

I meant from a spectator's pov. Netball just seems like basketball with all the stuff that makes it a good game taken out.

Comment

Here a decent movie if bored. Very little talking in it. But I just love prison type movies

http://youtu.be/Mp88Nuci68c
                                                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

...

Comment

Ohh Better Call Saul back tomorrow!
                                                                                                                          Now that's good news!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X