Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
    If you're looking for a new place for a steak then I'd recommend Winters in Blakes Cross near Lusk. It's one of the best steaks I've had. Went just last week for the 2nd time.
    Owner said it's the only place in Ireland who gets the beef before it's shipped abroad. He knows the farmer near the border and they do the drop off. It's so good it's ridiculous.
    They have a gin room and a separate whiskey room also.
    What's tomahawk like does anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
      Went to Gaucho Piccadilly a few times years ago and it was the mutts nuts must say. Obvs lost the run of themselves in the years since.
      I always thought it was reasonably good but haven't been for several years. The one at London Bridge had a great location and view to the Tower.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
        Went to Gaucho Piccadilly a few times years ago and it was the mutts nuts must say. Obvs lost the run of themselves in the years since.
        ‘Twas overpriced and a little too trendy for my liking. Food was tasty but you wouldn’t go too often unless you were strictly a steak man when dining.
        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

The building and decor in Piccadilly gave it a real occasion-y feel to me, around time of the crash and few years after so i maybe hit an optimal time for pricing too.
          London Bridge restaurant was lovely walk to and from it alright,but it was stuck in one of those glass box style building that could easily house a pret a manger or starbucks.
          I am rarely objective about value in these type of places, if someone else is footing bill then its irrelevant largely, if i am paying myself then if the all round experience has been fab then dont bemoan the cost overly either.
          Had open wallet surgery in Prime around same era, cant remember exactly what the total was but will always remember sitting pretty much in the Bellagio Fountains with a glass of amarone and feeling like a right rocknrolla. That magic is always what seems to go when a place expands, goes corporate etc which seems to be what befell Gaucho.
          Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
          https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

It's a sad day when you can't even troll the scam artists

I got the below e-mail sent to me

SPOILER

Hi,

Are you convenient with discussing business investment details in this mail? If interested get back to me for more details.

Regards,
            David Holdenfort

And thought, sure, I'll string them along and do so by inputting as many references as I can from Brewsters Millions so I replied with

SPOILER
            Hi John, or is it David? I'm not sure as the name on the e-mail shows as John Maye but it's signed off as David Holdenfort?

Anyway, I don't think it matters too much.

You mention below about a possible business investment opportunity which sounds intriguing.

My old uncle Monty, whose family business I inherited after his tragic death almost 13 years ago, (lord rest his soul) used to always say;

'We're in the business of being in business and we're doing business and nobody's business. Do it! Business. Good. I want business done, just the way it should be'

John (or David - I'm still not too sure), I've always lived my life by those great words from my uncle Monty so when i saw your e-mail, I knew I had to get in touch with you

So tell me more?

Your faithfully in business

Brian 'Monty' Murphy III

to which they replied

SPOILER
            Hello Brian, how are you doing today? This is David, not John; John is my personal assistant and I instructed him to contact you after we had got a list of prospective investment individuals off the web, a few which you are one of, that's why the message was signed by me but addressed from John as he did them on my behalf. I am recently retired from my civil engineering practice after a successful career of over 30 years. I seek interesting and legitimate business ideas and opportunities to invest on. I have capital funds fixed and available for disbursal; however, I do not have business managerial skills or experience, therefore would not like to get involved in the stress of running any daily operational activities for the business. I have retired a little early because of complicated health conditions.

I intend to sign a mutual agreement bond with any interested partner who shows prospects in investment plans/business ideas, must be honest too. I have no particular sector of interest for investment (provided the income flow is steady), which is my main reason for seeking a partner for a very fair partnership. My terms are very transparent and flexible. Let me know what you think.

Regards

So I went back with the following but think I wasn't subtle enough as it's been 4 days with no reply. I can only hope that the complicated health issues haven't become serious

SPOILER
            Hi David,

Today was a great day, with lots of business being done. Thanks for clearing up the issue on who you are, never good to start a business relationship in confusion.

I hope this doesn't come across as prying or nosy but can I ask about your complicated health conditions? I don't mean to be rude by asking, I just think that it is important to know about each other before entering into any kind of business relationship. My uncle Monty had a right hand man, Spike was his name. Spike was a great guy, made quite a lot of money for my uncle Monty, which bizarrely seemed to drive my uncle crazy, but he had complicated health issues too. He was a big guy, sadly he would have been considered obese and he died a very young man, far too young for a man of his talent to die. He died 11 years before my uncle Monty which was a tragic thing altogether. I can't help but think, had he better health, their business relationship could have blossomed even further.

In saying the above, I do feel that I am starting to get to know you and there is a bit of a bond starting to form already. My grand father was also a civil engineer. His proudest build was the stadium for the Hackensack Bulls baseball team. He put his heart and soul into that project and was incredibly proud when the New York Yankees played a three-inning exhibition game there. I can still remember sitting on his knee as a young lad, with him telling me about the game, I'd say it was such a great time to be alive to see it.

Anyway, how was your day - Hope you had a very productive business day of doing business?

Your faithfully in business

Brian 'Monty' Murphy III

Comment

Fucking dope!

The US president, Donald Trump, tells CBS News's Jeff Glor he holds the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, personally responsible for Russia's interference i...

Comment

Ok, the Worldie Cup is over. Only 4 weeks left until Premier League kick-off, that means you all must have at least an auto select team ready for the Fantasy Premier League...

...so click on the link in the signature, register your interest in IPBS Premier Community Game and send me your monies which will be 'just resting in my account" for a while
                Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                  Seems that you haven't really listened to him. Hard to find anyone interesting if you don't listen to them.

tbh, I've become extremely disillusioned with Peterson
                  When I first started listening to him, I felt he was pretty engaging and he honestly made some very valid points about equality and the never ending adolescence of modern man.

However, on deeper examination, it just seems like so much fluff. He's more into a cult of personality now rather than the lone sane voice in the wilderness he purports to be

He's both needlessly antagonistic to interviewers (see the forced matrimony issue with the nyt) and overly simplistic and fawning to his followers . He courts controversy and seeks fame with a fevour that seems at odds with his desire to "fix" mankind.
                  I mean his entire image is shaped from needless provocation. If he had just addressed his students by name rather than this whole fucking gender identity thing, problem solved. I think he is a clever articulate dude as evidenced by his famous interview on channel 4 where it seems the mere notion of prepping was lost on the interviewer but ultimately he provides empty easily digestible answers to primarily young men who feel like the world owes them.
                  That fact that he makes his living largely from patreon now I would argue has greatly influenced his output. Why alienate the very people putting money in your pocket, they like the soup so that's all what is on the menu, now even soupier!
                  The fact he doesn't acknowledge the hypocrisy in both being populist and railing against popular social norms is also telling

As I said, he has value. If easily digestible answers are helping folks, great.
                  On the opposite side, if easily constructed counter arguments tear your premises apart, maybe it's time to change your viewpoint

Honestly, I think he would make a radical political leader but I'm glad that canada isn't (at least imo) a place where he would succeed.
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

If he had just addressed his students by name rather than this whole fucking gender identity thing
                    I thought there was no issue with his students, he'd refer to them by whatever they wanted, it was just the new law he fought against?

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                      That's a pretty common attitude to any avant-garde art.

All original art forms start out being on the outside and most eventually get absorbed/co-opted/watered down (in whole or in part) by artists who can make them more palatable and mainstream for more casual (and lucrative) audiences.

If we didn't have these particular crazy circuit-bending bastards and others like them how do we progress art and culture?

It's not ofter your remind me of Meryl Streep
                      JOIN US: www.GayHills.com The Gay Social Network- This... 'stuff'? Oh... ok. I see, you think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you...

I don't know what is says for my state of mind that I immediately made this association with your post
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                        What I'm really asking for is because it seems we have some hipster opinionists here and it seems they are talking shite. For example see: Dobby and the Liberal Katie Hopkins but also because I actually want to hear the other side of his arguments, or be provided with recommended viewing/reading.
                        Second Captains World Service have a very decent podcast about Peterson’s book. Basically his “wisdom” is half thought out fortune cookie positions. When he sticks to his real areas of expertise he is quite insightful but for the most part he’s just an ill thought out opinion machine.
                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Guy on the right is the spitting image of AndyFB to be fair

Comment

In fairness I've only skimmed somewhat when he is being discussed but I've no idea what viewpoint he espouses, and I've never heard of him except in here.

Comment

I might be in the US for a few days mid week in October - where is a cool place to go/things to do mid week there? Will probably be in Toronto one weekend and NYC the following weekend - happy to fly anywhere within reason for the three or four days midweek...

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                In fairness I've only skimmed somewhat when he is being discussed but I've no idea what viewpoint he espouses, and I've never heard of him except in here.

He's got some great stuff on his soundcloud. Future festival headliner for sure.

Comment

tbh, I've become extremely disillusioned with Peterson
                                  When I first started listening to him, I felt he was pretty engaging and he honestly made some very valid points about equality and the never ending adolescence of modern man.

However, on deeper examination, it just seems like so much fluff. He's more into a cult of personality now rather than the lone sane voice in the wilderness he purports to be

He's both needlessly antagonistic to interviewers (see the forced matrimony issue with the nyt) and overly simplistic and fawning to his followers . He courts controversy and seeks fame with a fevour that seems at odds with his desire to "fix" mankind.
                                  I mean his entire image is shaped from needless provocation. If he had just addressed his students by name rather than this whole fucking gender identity thing, problem solved. I think he is a clever articulate dude as evidenced by his famous interview on channel 4 where it seems the mere notion of prepping was lost on the interviewer but ultimately he provides empty easily digestible answers to primarily young men who feel like the world owes them.
                                  That fact that he makes his living largely from patreon now I would argue has greatly influenced his output. Why alienate the very people putting money in your pocket, they like the soup so that's all what is on the menu, now even soupier!
                                  The fact he doesn't acknowledge the hypocrisy in both being populist and railing against popular social norms is also telling

As I said, he has value. If easily digestible answers are helping folks, great.
                                  On the opposite side, if easily constructed counter arguments tear your premises apart, maybe it's time to change your viewpoint

Honestly, I think he would make a radical political leader but I'm glad that canada isn't (at least imo) a place where he would succeed.
                                  He doesn't seem to know what he believes in that, or is pragmatic and doesn't want to say that white people should not have been forced to allow black people in their establishments. If he does believe he is in the wrong, it is a good trait to be able to change opinion like that, particularly in the instant, most people can't do that. You don't change peoples minds in a debate usually, only in afterthought.

When you dig down into all these people you find things where they are hypocritical or weak on, nature of people innit.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                    I thought there was no issue with his students, he'd refer to them by whatever they wanted, it was just the new law he fought against?
                                    The central point if I recall correctly was he would refuse to use their preferred pronoun (if it was gender neutral) as he believed the relationship of gender to biology is absolute.
                                    He might address Rob as Rachel but if asked about Rachel he would state "He...." rather than she.

That's was the nuggget

Comment

The central point if I recall correctly was he would refuse to use their preferred pronoun (if it was gender neutral) as he believed the relationship of gender to biology is absolute.
                                      He might address Rob as Rachel but if asked about Rachel he would state "He...." rather than she.

That's was the nuggget
                                      He's dead fecking right. I'm not a violent man but any fool tells me its gender fluid it will get a kick in the hegee.

Comment

I mean his entire image is shaped from needless provocation.
                                        Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                        When he sticks to his real areas of expertise he is quite insightful but for the most part he’s just an ill thought out opinion machine.
                                        Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                        who accentuates that with an excellent debating style

I think all the above pretty much hits the nail on the head with Peterson. He's simply satisfying the fanbois at this stage by moving into areas that incite more controversy.

I can't remember the exact context from the other night but Harris was explaining something about response and how removing your hand from a hot stove was not a cognitive decision or something, not quite sure but
                                        Peterson jumps in with "you wouldn't remove it if your child's life depended on it", in turn, the crowd erupts.

I thought it was a pretty decent representation of the melodrama he uses to evoke a response from his followers.

Comment

It's not ofter your remind me of Meryl Streep
                                          JOIN US: www.GayHills.com The Gay Social Network- This... 'stuff'? Oh... ok. I see, you think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you...

I don't know what is says for my state of mind that I immediately made this association with your post
                                          That made me laugh. Cos it's true

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

I see The K Club is on the market. Thought the guide would be a lot more. Without googling how much would you expect for - 135 bed 5* Hotel, 550 acres inc 2 golf courses?

Price...
                                                SPOILER
                                                €80m

Comment

Surely a Ryder Cup golf course should be doing better than break even?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                    He is generally right though. Especially around the declining of men in society. Think that's quite a negative for the world.
                                                    fun thread here detailing the gig in Dublin

Comment

fun thread here detailing the gig in Dublin
                                                      https://twitter.com/TheKavOfficial/s...614878720?s=19
                                                      I got one of his audiobooks last week because besides that C4 interview I haven't seen any of his talks or anything and want to see what the fuss is about.

From reading that twitter thread I'm pretty sceptical as to how much I'm going to enjoy it!

Comment

IPB trip to Lords next year for England v Ireland test match?

Comment

Stand by
                                                          l'Alpe d'Huez hill climb coming up shortly (Eurosport & TG4)

Comment

He is generally right though. Especially around the declining of men in society. Think that's quite a negative for the world.
                                                            This might be his single greatest nonsense point. Men aren't declining. They feel a decline because they are relatively not as superior to women anymore.

Two people are standing side by side trying to pick apples from a tree. Sheila is standing in a hole dug by Mick while Mick is standing on the ground 10 feet above her. Sheila starts to fill in the hole and rises up bit by bit until she is almost level with Mick and can reach just as many apples.

Mick complains Sheila has forced a decline in his role. Fuck Mick.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                              IPB trip to Lords next year for England v Ireland test match?
                                                              Already making arrangements.

Will do 2 days.

Comment

Stand by
                                                                l'Alpe d'Huez hill climb coming up shortly (Eurosport & TG4)
                                                                This Dutch lad must feel like the loneliest man in the Alps.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                  This Dutch lad must feel like the loneliest man in the Alps.
                                                                  Backed him 9/4 in running!

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                    Looking forward to this.

Watch the official trailer for true story heist thriller “American Animals” starring Evan Peters, Barry Keoghan, Blake Jenner, Jared Abrahamson, Udo Kier, an...

Opr

Went to see this last night having never heard the story before. It’s incredibly well made if slightly drawn out, great blend of comedy & drama.

Comment

This might be his single greatest nonsense point. Men aren't declining. They feel a decline because they are relatively not as superior to women anymore.

Two people are standing side by side trying to pick apples from a tree. Sheila is standing in a hole dug by Mick while Mick is standing on the ground 10 feet above her. Sheila starts to fill in the hole and rises up bit by bit until she is almost level with Mick and can reach just as many apples.

I can't reply to this as in depth as I would like as on the phone. While I agree completely it is important that we understand why men in society feel like this. Showing a lack of compassion and empathy wit fuck Mick leads to 99% of an angry audience showing up at that the other night feeling like they have found someone who understands them and how they feel and shows them the wrong way to think about things. It is important that people who understand things in another way actually voice that opinion and don't just look down on people who can't see the same angles as they do.

Opr

Comment

Comment

Backed him 9/4 in running!
                                                                          He gave it a decent lash tbf

Comment

SPOILER

Yeah great effort, got my monies worth.

Comment

I can't reply to this as in depth as I would like as on the phone. While I agree completely it is important that we understand why men in society feel like this. Showing a lack of compassion and empathy wit fuck Mick leads to 99% of an angry audience showing up at that the other night feeling like they have found someone who understands them and how they feel and shows them the wrong way to think about things. It is important that people who understand things in another way actually voice that opinion and don't just look down on people who can't see the same angles as they do.

Opr
                                                                              It's pretty hard to be compassionate towards a bunch of crybabies who'll bang on about being oppressed/downtrodden while also claiming that women/gay folk/immigrants/liberals should just suck it up and stop being so beta.

Comment

It is important that people who understand things in another way actually voice that opinion and don't just look down on people who can't see the same angles as they do.

Opr
                                                                                In that case remove the thing about "Fuck Mick". The point stands.

Comment

You do realize you're Mick? You are basically saying fuck me
                                                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I wonder what andy has to say about all of this

Comment

I wonder what andy has to say about all of this
                                                                                      OUT OF CONTEXT

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Tell me of these male ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                              This should be good.
                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

It was a point he made in the book. After about the age of 12 a boy needs men heros outside their father. Normally that would have been a teacher but not anymore as there are no male teachers. So who are they to look up to then - a DJ, a football guy? Those aren't ideal role models.
                                                                                                What? Who banished men from becoming teachers. Why are teachers designated role models. None of mine would have made a good one? What's wrong with uncles, brothers , grandfather, coaches , youth group leaders etc etc etc.
                                                                                                Also what does the male hero offer that a female one wouldnt unless he's aspiring to have a big dick?
                                                                                                Last edited by eamonhonda; 19-07-18, 16:37.
                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

...

Comment

I think most people have a teacher they look up to. It's a natural step at some age to have someone you admire and it tends to be a father like figure.
                                                                                                    Dead poets society is a shite film!

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                      What? Who banished men from becoming teachers. Why are teachers designated role models. None of mine would have made a good one?
                                                                                                      Summerhill?

Comment

It was a point he made in the book. After about the age of 12 a boy needs men heros outside their father. Normally that would have been a teacher but not anymore as there are no male teachers. So who are they to look up to then - a DJ, a football guy? Those aren't ideal role models.
                                                                                                        I'd wager miss kelly with her tight woolen sweaters and her silver toe ring that glinted in the sun thought me more about finding my inner male than the grumpy bollox who ate chalk while teaching us french proverbs

Comment

...

Comment

I think most people have a teacher they look up to. It's a natural step at some age to have someone you admire and it tends to be a father like figure.
                                                                                                            I think that's fairly weak to be honest. Where are all the men going, why does it need to be a teacher? I know Peterson is full of shite but last I heard from him he was stronger than that.
                                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                              Seeing as you spent your first ten years on the internet pretending to be a Woman, I'm not sure you're ...

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                                Summerhill?
                                                                                                                Not a great benchmark
                                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Are there female ideas - of ways of being a woman? Of course there are. We're different. I don't think it should matter after the age of say 16 but it does matter biologically before that point.
                                                                                                                  That's literally how trump would answer that. With a question.
                                                                                                                  What are these wonderful male ideas that a young boy today won't be able to enjoy?
                                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                                    Not a great benchmark
                                                                                                                    Well seeing as it was supposed to be "the good school", I always thought that the Tech must have been like Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome

Comment

After about the age of 12 a boy needs men heros outside their father. Normally that would have been a teacher but not anymore as there are no male teachers. So who are they to look up to then - a DJ, a football guy? Those aren't ideal role models.
                                                                                                                      Let's break this gem down.

There are male teachers. So right off the bat that entire point is complete horseshit. About 30% of secondary school teachers are male in Ireland. About 25% in Canada where Peterson is from.

Secondly, he is setting up an insane false dichotomy. "If your son can't look up to his male teacher then DJs and soccer players are all he has left". Except he has a lot of other choices. I'm actually going to intentionally pick celebrity ones that are still good role models: Bear Grylls and Neil deGrasse Tyson. Beyond all that, the reduction in male teachers isn't the end of masculinity. Male teachers in Ireland are on the slide but historically that group also contained the various child molesters and physical abusers who destroyed an unknown number of men's lives. Maybe overall men are coming out ahead in the re-balance.

I don't agree. It's not about you and me who are already well-established men in society, and quite successful in it.its about my two year old who will be growing up in a society that actively disrespects male ideas and maleness.
                                                                                                                      This is the world of idiotic non sequiturs and poor reasoning that Peterson leads to...

What "male idea" or issue of "maleness" is being disrespected that doesn't deserve that lack of respect?

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                                        Well seeing as it was supposed to be "the good school", I always thought that the Tech must have been like Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome
                                                                                                                        Mad house. Wouldn't change it though. It's not todau what it was
                                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

One thing men are terrible at => Feminism.

That Apple's analogy , Christ I'm cringing here .

Feminism is so last decade girls . It's all about the mind now lads . Equality is here now , help out your struggling brothers and stop creating stupid analogies to prove a worn out point.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X