Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    So I can ppv the golf majors without having to sub?

Brilliant, I suggested this to a Sky rep two years ago, he probably stole my idea.
    Dunno but I aint looking forward to work tomorrow after nearly a week off

I may study the objection handling brief for the night lol
    Her sky-ness
    © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
      Sky launch this tomorrow in Ireland , I hate it already really gonna affect my sales. I am sure you sports fans will enjoy

http://www.nowtv.com/ie
      Wow,about fucking time,they've had this in U.K. For a while I think.golf majors ,the odd Stacked sports weekend, etc ,they will now be getting some money from me they weren't otherwise going to to get

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
        Wow,about fucking time.golf majors ,the odd big prem game etc ,they will now be getting some money from me they weren't otherwise going to to get
        ugh Im off to jobs.ie lol
        Her sky-ness
        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
          Crushed it. People laughed. They didnt mind me checking my notes. I got a round of applause for one joke. Was funnier than the guy before me which is basically as good as it could go. Maybe not as funny as the guy after me but people laughed and thats all that matters. Heart was going 90 after. Thanks to Hotspur for coming along and getting me a calmer pint after. And many thanks to Rigger for writing half my routine.
          That's class - fair fucking play
          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
            Wow,about fucking time,they've had this in U.K. For a while I think.golf majors ,the odd Stacked sports weekend, etc ,they will now be getting some money from me they weren't otherwise going to to get
            About time is right. Bring the price down and they would tackle a nice bit of streaming losses
            airport, lol

Comment

Couple of weird coincidences yesterday. Almost feels like you can think something into happening.

When AJ posted about the Fast Lane I got myself all mentally geared up for a banter row with him about language and words and the difference between naming the lane wrong and using it wrong, but alas that never materialised. Pity, probably would've won that one

Then Hitch pops up and gives me the banter row, about a different word.

Earlier that day I was listening to the piece about whiplash on morning Ireland, and talked a bit about it at work. I've never in my life experienced whiplash.

Went home last night and started playing with my little one, we do this thing where she sits on my stomach and we rock back and forth like a see-saw, great fun. On one of the backward rocks I went too far and my head went about 50° to my body, heard a crack and have been in pain since.

Basically gave myself whiplash.

'Tis mad Ted.
              Last edited by Lazare; 25-04-17, 19:48.
              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Whiplash doesn't exist.
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                  About time is right. Bring the price down and they would tackle a nice bit of streaming losses
                  Ya, a tenner for a day is silly really. Obviously they want to push people towards 15 for a week more than the day pass to show that you can't live without it and all that, but still if it was a fiver for a day it would be better.

Now TV has been available in the UK for ages, so about time it's available here now.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                    Whiplash doesn't exist.
                    That's what I said 36 hours ago. I was nodding along to Morning Ireland. Can't nod anymore.

Comment

Whiplash doesn't exist.
                      Radio 1 yesterday evening?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                        Radio 1 yesterday evening?
                        tl;dr?

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                          I beg to differ, unfortunately.

What do you call it? Micro fractures to the facet joints?
                          Ask this guy

Comment

tl;dr?

Some neurosurgeon on drive time said it's bollocks.

Comment

There's definitely an injury you can sustain by a sudden jerk of the neck. What's bollox is the claim culture around it.

Comment

There are also 20 times more 'whiplash' claims per head of population in Ireland than in France.

Truly bizarre. Are your froggy spines made of sterner stuff shraaaaaaaap?

Comment

That's why it was on Morning Ireland, hence my tldr jibe.

I lived in Kilnamanagh growing up, I remember that 50C bus overturning at Christ Church. There was about 60 people on it.

About 140 people were walking around Kilnamanagh in the weeks after with neck braces.

Comment

There are also 20 times more 'whiplash' claims per head of population in Ireland than in France.

Truly bizarre. Are your froggy spines made of sterner stuff shraaaaaaaap?
                                    I'm with you on this one btw.

Comment

I'm with you on this one btw.
                                      This is why your car insurance costs have been going through the roof.

Comment

Yip, totally agree, our claim culture is despicable, one of the most rotten elements of our society. It's one of two topics that boil my blood.

The term 'whiplash' may be bollox, and absolutely, 90% of people claiming to suffer it are cretinous liars but there definitely is an injury associated with a sudden jerk of the neck.

Comment

Took Mia on her first Hol when she was less than 2, she was a pleasure. paddled in the pool all day. Night time kids activity yokes by the BAR , she gets tired, climbs in buggy and just sleeps , out like a light. Drink away then till 1 or 2 am , sleeping babies , half shot parents everywhere

Shame the MCcanns didnt adopt the same rule
                                          Agree with you totally!

Had a family holiday in July 2010, Aimee was 7 months old. She had just learned to sit up. The plane journey was fine, she slept most of it and sat on a blanket under an umbrella or in her buggy other times. Had a brilliant time.

Went on holiday every year after that. Maybe not a plane but we drove 10 hours or more to get to Devon. Never a bother!

Comment

Yip, totally agree, our claim culture is despicable, one of the most rotten elements of our society. It's one of two topics that boil my blood.

The term 'whiplash' may be bollox, and absolutely, 90% of people claiming to suffer it are cretinous liars but there definitely is an injury associated with a sudden jerk of the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                                              Probably a naive question but can the government not just buy the site through a compulsory purchase order?
                                              Former master of the National Maternity Hospital in Holles Street, Dr Peter Boylan, has said he is not resigning from the board and will attend a board meeting on Wednesday night.

. Compulsory purchase route is costly and open to legal challenge

Adverse public opinion about the decision to allow the Sisters of Charity to own the proposed new National Maternity Hospital is threatening to derail the deal put in place for the publicly-funded construction of the €300m facility. But are people getting worked up about nothing when there is a deal in place guaranteeing the independence of the hospital?

An agreement document states the hospital's clinical services will be free of any religious considerations, while other safeguards include a 'golden share' being held by the State to ensure the hospital's independence.

A lien, or legal charge on the hospital, would also mean it cannot be sold. But not everyone is convinced these measures will guarantee that clinical decisions are not in some way subject to religious interference.

Couldn't this all be solved if the State just bought the land?

It could, but it wouldn't be simple. There is no guarantee that the St Vincent's Hospital Group would agree to sell.

The proposed location of the new hospital is right in the centre of the St Vincent's campus, adjacent to the main ward block of the existing public hospital.

A sale would be a much likelier proposition if the new hospital was to be located on the periphery of the campus.

Could the State seize the land?

In theory it could, but this would be a very expensive option, especially when you consider the State is being offered the use of the land for free. The land would have to be bought by way of a compulsory purchase order, an instrument used to allow public infrastructure projects to go ahead for the common good. Under CPO rules the hospital group would have to be paid the value of the land, which would be considerable given its Dublin 4 location.

A premium would also need to be paid for any potential diminution of value of the remaining lands in the campus, plus other costs arising from disturbance or loss of profits.

Could a CPO be subject to legal challenge?

Most definitely. Indeed if there was a CPO and it was to be challenged, the project could be set back several years with no guarantee it would go ahead eventually at the chosen site.

One just has to look at the case of Kildare farmer Thomas Reid who resisted efforts by IDA Ireland to compulsorily purchase his land in 2011. The matter went all the way to the Supreme Court, where Mr Reid won his case in 2015.

What about a long-term lease?

This would lead to a situation where the State owns the hospital buildings but not the ground on which they stand.

In the context of the deal that already exists, this option wouldn't make much sense, financially or otherwise, unless it involved a peppercorn rent and the lease being for an awfully long time, effectively guaranteeing the buildings for use as a maternity hospital in perpetuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                Not sure of the boiling point of blood but for arguments sake let's say it's 100° like water. There's plenty of topics, and people that get me up above 90 but there's only two that hit the boil, cretinous scumbags who head to A&E when you tip their tow bar and..., well you all know the other one.

Comment

Hope you never rear-end a priest Laz...

Comment

When AJ posted about the Fast Lane I got myself all mentally geared up for a banter row with him about language and words and the difference between naming the lane wrong and using it wrong, but alas that never materialised. Pity, probably would've won that one
                                                    Made a conscious decision not to take on people that I'd crush, no-one likes a bully and all that.

Comment

Not sure of the boiling point of blood but for arguments sake let's say it's 100° like water. There's plenty of topics, and people that get me up above 90 but there's only two that hit the boil, cretinous scumbags who head to A&E when you tip their tow bar and..., well you all know the other one.
                                                      Naggers??

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                        Hope you never rear-end a priest Laz...
                                                        I wouldn't pay any compensation, see how he likes it.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                          Made a conscious decision not to take on people that I'd crush, no-one likes a bully and all that.

I'd have over taken ye.

Comment

No. It's not. It is definitively not a serious contributor.

Your insurance has gone up because insurance company investments hugely underperformed due to low yields.

I accept I'm biting here somewhat. But a central bank report made it clear that claims (which have gone down) and awards (overall down - though individual amounts have risen somewhat) are not a major contributory factor in the rise of insurance costs
                                                            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

My insurance was the lowest its been in years this year, its great being an auld wan

Her sky-ness
                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Couple of weird coincidences yesterday. Almost feels like you can think something into happening.
                                                                Heading into town this morning and I was thinking about the origin or the physical response to thinking about something socially embarrassing, this led my mind to think about extreme reactions to that and to an image of someone cutting their skin with a razor blade, then I thought about the Clive Barker film Nightbreed which involved a guy trying to cut his face off.

Get on the bus and while looking out the window on the journey see a piece of graffiti with the tag "The Nightbreed".

Comment

Must give Imajica a re-read on holiday
                                                                  Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                  https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

I just noticed a thread for stolen bikes on boards, and was thinking it would be funny to take the post the pictures of missing bikes on adverts just to watch the cyber-detectives implode.
                                                                    (Obviously being the same pick would give it away, but the first few wouldn't cop it).

But it appears I was beaten to it. Or rather, a bike reported stolen on boards yesterday actually appeared on adverts today. Scrotes
                                                                    Would be interested to see what happens here.

Comment

Mental health has properly snapped. Absolutely out there at the moment. Folks forced me to go talk to someone and it was the most ridiculous awful hour ever. Like you spot them looking at their clock and are like mate fuck off I know your exact story absolutely cold you fooling fraudster. Categorically not for me. Doesn't leave much - medication I guess which I know I'd absurdly get hooked on. Funnily enough only place I can find any refuge is poker, where I just feel so comfortable and at ease. Obv doesn't make a difference as am guzzling everything but still. Used to wonder about people who ended up proper fucked or bananas, can absolutely see how it happens . Legit pray for mojo needed not being a click bair whore but absolutely feel disposable easy social media.constant phone stuff is on the verge of combusting society. Can't seem to find the clarity of mind to go figure out what I need to do or how to do it. Might videa blog a road to lunacy narrative.

Comment

I've told you this a million times Sammy. You need to start writing again.
                                                                        Not even form a potential "so others can read" point of view. Just write stuff down.
                                                                        Go into Easons today, pickup a moleskin diary and just write stuff down. What ever you feel is relevant. Your thoughts, what you'll have for dinner, ramblings. Doesn't matter. Just write, I honestly feel it will help you mate imo.

Comment

There are good and bad in any profession including therapy. My first experience talking to a professional was shite and it nearly put me the process.

Consider the first time you meet a therapist to be more an interview or date situation rather than a session. You are really trying to see if this person is a good fit for you, someone you might be able to try and work with, no more. If they aren't the right fit, swipe left.

I'd strongly recommend trying again. I can recommend my guy if you wish - he is probably in need something juicy to get his teeth stuck into in my absence.

Perhaps you would be 'hooked' on something, an SSRI or whatnot, but perhaps the problem in part is chemical. You'd be hooked on them, taking them daily. Hooked in the same sense that someone with diabetes is hooked on insulin. Hooked.like.a.fox.

Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 26-04-17, 03:23.
                                                                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                                            Mental health has properly snapped. Absolutely out there at the moment. Folks forced me to go talk to someone and it was the most ridiculous awful hour ever. Like you spot them looking at their clock and are like mate fuck off I know your exact story absolutely cold you fooling fraudster. Categorically not for me. Doesn't leave much - medication I guess which I know I'd absurdly get hooked on. Funnily enough only place I can find any refuge is poker, where I just feel so comfortable and at ease. Obv doesn't make a difference as am guzzling everything but still. Used to wonder about people who ended up proper fucked or bananas, can absolutely see how it happens . Legit pray for mojo needed not being a click bair whore but absolutely feel disposable easy social media.constant phone stuff is on the verge of combusting society. Can't seem to find the clarity of mind to go figure out what I need to do or how to do it. Might videa blog a road to lunacy narrative.
                                                                            I know it's the generic thing to say regarding mental health but outside of poker is there any outlet?

I only ask because you mentioned the other week about the hiking etc which I agreed is an excellent activity and something I've only started doing as of late. I think it's quite engaging because of the prep and the activity itself especially if it's more than one night. I find its far better from a relaxation point of view vs say a game of 5 of side etc.

I've already booked some accommodation to do some stuff from http://www.wildatlanticway.com/home it's got lots of pretty cool looking routes.

Perhaps it's something that might interest you

Comment

...
                                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

That now tv is a great idea. Do you need the box or can you just use it like Netflix via an app on your smart tv?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                  Suffering a bit here with the kid's chicken pox. The only thing that's really getting us through it is knowing that it's presumably a million times easier than what the zuut family had to go through looking after his incessant moaning
                                                                                  Funking for you to get it now.

Comment

My insurance was the lowest its been in years this year, its great being an auld wan

Looking good SatNav, the botox is doing its job

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

Your insurance has gone up because insurance company investments hugely underperformed due to low yields.

I accept I'm biting here somewhat. But a central bank report made it clear that claims (which have gone down) and awards (overall down - though individual amounts have risen somewhat) are not a major contributory factor in the rise of insurance costs
                                                                                      Any thoughts on the volume of 'whiplash' claims in Ireland vs our European peers and the role of ambulance-chasers in encouraging said scam?

Comment

jbravado is definitely onto something in terms of social media - there is something insidious about it. Ironically, a tool meant to bring people closer together has succeeded merely in driving them apart. And played a significant role in the political disasters that are Brexit and Trump.

Thankfully my only social media outlet is this one, which is populated solely by intelligent, empathic rationalists.

Comment

Any thoughts on the volume of 'whiplash' claims in Ireland vs our European peers and the role of ambulance-chasers in encouraging said scam?
                                                                                          Our French friends probably use some French phrase for their dodgy claims rather than the englush word whiplash.
                                                                                          Probably has a name that sound like food, like a "cup of rabbit stew".

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                            Our French friends probably use some French phrase for their dodgy claims rather than the englush word whiplash.
                                                                                            Probably has a name that sound like food, like a "cup of rabbit stew".
                                                                                            No idea but these numbers might provide some insight:
                                                                                            The average award for injury claims here is €15,000 compared with €2,000 to €3,000 in France and Germany or €5,000 to €6,000 in the UK
                                                                                            We incentivise the 'whiplash' scam.

Comment

In breaking news guy who works for tobacco industry says smoking doesn't really do any harm, meanwhile other guy who owns coalmine is sure burning coal isn't causing climate change
                                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Yeah, loads. Any thoughts on when you'll accept your basic premise that lawyers and "compo culture" are driving up insurance costs is completely baseless?
                                                                                                You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

My gas boiler has packed it in - or needs some serious repair work done I'd guess - and I've had no luck in terms of gas servicing over the past 18 months, so am looking for a recommendation of a good registered gas installer. I'm in the Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown area but close enough to South and West Dublin so would really appreciate any suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                    My gas boiler has packed it in - or needs some serious repair work done I'd guess - and I've had no luck in terms of gas servicing over the past 18 months, so am looking for a recommendation of a good registered gas installer. I'm in the Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown area but close enough to South and West Dublin so would really appreciate any suggestions!
                                                                                                    Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                    I use a chap in D15, exBordGais and now private contractor, talks the talk well and seems to know what he is doing, though on the other hand the fact that he has been out to my boiler 4 times in the last 6 years is a bit of a negative.
                                                                                                    Very good at turning up quickly and will also drop in evenings. Not too expensive was €50 or €60 cih for a call out in January just gone.
                                                                                                    Joe Nangle 0876771390.
                                                                                                    .

Comment

Church car park where people normally park to drop off kids o for school on Griffith Ave was closed this morning so cars parked all over the shop. Guards show up full of faux outrage and give everyone hassle about parking on the footpath, while their car is parked in the bicycle lane. Hard to take them seriously.

Comment

...

Comment

...
                                                                                                          Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 26-04-17, 09:03.

Comment

Better Call Saul

SPOILER
                                                                                                            How awesome was that trap from Mike
                                                                                                            Profit before people.

Comment

...

Comment

Yeah, loads. Any thoughts on when you'll accept your basic premise that lawyers and "compo culture" are driving up insurance costs is completely baseless?
                                                                                                                Not before lunch anyway. I don't like accepting impossibilities on an empty stomach.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                  This NMH/Boylan text saga was being spun as a corporate governance issue by Rhona Murphy on Morning Ireland. Leads me nicely to something I have been thinking of....

You are in the hot seat interviewing for the position of CEO and one of the interview panel asks you if you would take a phone call from a board member if they were seeking to speak with you. What is the appropriate answer?

SPOILER
                                                                                                                  I believe, though not sure, that it is fair game to say that you would take the call as you don't know the nature of the call but if there was anything of concern for you that you would raise it with your chairman?
                                                                                                                  If your interviewing for a CEO role than since it is the board who select the CEO, one board member or the chair may take the lead on the recruitment but at the end of it they will all review this critical decision.

All C level roles are board sanctioned as a general rule.

Of course you need to accept their calls - how else will they know who they want to hire

Comment

My injured shoulder has finally healed years later. On and off it’s been agony despite physio etc. Now I can wave and smile at Zuutroy in his hair drier flying over the Celbridge skies and shake my fist Strewel like at the bigger more scary but safer than a sofa planes. (tis a phobia ya know) I also had my 1st game of golf in ages and despite rust , hailstone showers and the fecking hot one minute, freezing one minute temps (da weather not me hot flushes) I still managed a very good (for me) but in golfing terms pathetic round. Two birdies

TLDR
                                                                                                                    SPOILER

Just reading Jbaravados struggles with his inner demons. We’ve all got them mostly to varying degrees , the recognition of these demons plus the honesty to admit potential defeat is surely a healthy way to view these things.
                                                                                                                    One of our biggest problems ( some of us Irish men anyho) is we batter ourselves up for our flaws and allow them to take precedence over our strengths/talents. The world is also a bit fkd up, our hitherto bottled up sense of outrage goes into overdrive now that we have platforms galore to vent. This has stunted us as a race. We soak up information like a sponge disseminated to us to the point of overload and we don’t separate the garbage from the substance in time for our brains to absorb it, then we get hit by more info. No wonder some heads are ready to pop. The best thing is face your challenges like you would a long distance drive or a run. As you are going through it the miles are passing anyway so there is always less than you think to get through.

.

Comment

...

Comment

Anybody that headbangs (not looking at Raoul here ) knows the feeling of minor whiplash, whiplash is just a name for a wide array of injuries to the neck. It's one thing to say people fraudulently claim for it (which they obviously do) but ridiculous to say it doesn't exist. It's just an easy target to fake for people I guess. Maybe using the term as a cat-all on a form isn't great but that's a different matter.

Then saying "soft tissue injuries" don't exist is a joke, that is literally just a group name for injuries to tendons, muscles, ligaments etc. I think the guy is just to stupid to get his point across, or is simply stupid.

I essentially have "back whiplash" still, over a year after being hit by a car. Can't sleep properly with it, back completely locks up, doubt they'll find anything in my MRI but it's still there.

Comment

Got reefed by the hair from behind once in an attack from a coward who ran . All was grand till next day. Couldn't move the neck at all. Where's my crashed bus Joe ?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X