Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aaahhhhh....

It was obviously the end of the TV show Happy Days. 'Jumping the Shark" has become a metaphore for anything that moment that signals the thing that makes it ...

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
      Jesus, do I have to break everything down. I mean I wont argue about it with her as

A) I dont talk to her anymore
      B) Not in the same Country.

Now would you all please back the fuck off. I explained I used a bad example and you are just peeing me off at this stage
      Jusat to be clear Gil, wasn't having a go at you. I wasn't even asking you to start some international argument with your friend either. I was just pointing out that anti-vaxers idiocy affects you indirectly, even if you don't know any personally.
      Agree it's a waste of time arguing with them, head off the wall stuff. I'd challenge the nonsense, not for their sake, but for the sake of people who might be swayed towards them. The whole thing relies on strength in numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
        Lol. Do you think he works for the civil service? A trip to Brooklyn with a fortnights notice is doing well!
        2 weeks is like a year in this place.

Previous requests include 'South Africa - tomorrow' and 'can you go to Mauritius for a while?'
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          They are imo. Young people are vastly more likely to be away, to move house and thus not be registered, to not be in their 'home' town on voting day due to being in Dublin, to not be arsed filling out an ancient paper-based system. At some point it's a system designed for disenfranchising youth voters.
          LOL. We can blame the voters for that.

Remember e-voting?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
            World of difference.

One is a case of a man taking advantage of a kind hearted soul's goodwill, depriving a young girl in the process and then being a nasty vindictive cunt afterwards.

The other is two people engaging in a natural act causing annoyance to child rapist apologists.
            See how beautiful football people can be ? A bit unfair on this kind hearted soul to fall under the 'ugly shit' umbrella .

Comment

They are imo. Young people are vastly more likely to be away, to move house and thus not be registered, to not be in their 'home' town on voting day due to being in Dublin, to not be arsed filling out an ancient paper-based system. At some point it's a system designed for disenfranchising youth voters.
              Once you make the system more "flexible" the risk of voter fraud increases substantially opening the possibility of direct foreign or domestic interference with our elections.

Comment

Would someone committing electoral fraud be reporting to the Gardaí or to a different authority? I haven't seen the correct procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                  Would someone committing electoral fraud be reporting to the Gardaí or to a different authority? I haven't seen the correct procedure.
                  You got something to report, or just a general wondering?

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                    You got something to report, or just a general wondering?
                    General wondering.

Comment

Disappointing lack of Eurovision preview video and tips here this week, Hitch and CKid need to get the finger out.

Ireland in tonights semi-final, but we are 7/2 to even qualify so presumably it's another poor effort.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                          Disappointing lack of Eurovision preview video and tips here this week, Hitch and CKid need to get the finger out.

Ireland in tonights semi-final, but we are 7/2 to even qualify so presumably it's another poor effort.
                          only bets i did last week was Cyprus to win at 18/1, Cyprus to win semi final 1 at 17/2, and Norway to win at 12s.

kind of surprised to see cyprus has now overtaken Israel as Fav

Comment

Official Video for "This Is America" by Childish GambinoListen to Childish Gambino: https://ChildishGambino.lnk.to/listenYDWatch more Childish Gambino videos...

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Previous requests include 'South Africa - tomorrow' and 'can you go to Mauritius for a while?'
                                I was sent to Cairo for four days and didn't get out for six weeks... those were the days!
                                Had a problem with a device in Mauritius last week that as recently as two years ago would definitely have resulted in me spending at least a week on site. Now I can get a local guy to go out with a mobile phone use it as a hotspot to connect a laptop and load up a remote desktop and the job is sorted in a couple of hours.
                                A week in Mauritius sounds great but I've also dodged a half a dozen trips to Nigeria in the same way so swings and roundabouts.

Comment

Aren't ye lucky ye have a job in the first place lord save us
                                  airport, lol

Comment

What I half heard over the weekend...something about Trump going to the NRA, anointing Ollie North as their leader while mocking French terrorism victims and making childish pretend gunfire gestures then making up lies about knife crime in London... all that was a comedy sketch and not reality... wasn't it

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

I've been up to my gonads for the last few weeks between both work and non work crap, so much so, that I haven't had a chance to review all the entries yet which is very annoying but I can't wait for the first semi to kick off tonight, I am excite!

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                        What I half heard over the weekend...something about Trump going to the NRA, anointing Ollie North as their leader while mocking French terrorism victims and making childish pretend gunfire gestures then making up lies about knife crime in London... all that was a comedy sketch and not reality... wasn't it
                                        They broadcast it live on CNN. A 50 minute long stream of consciousness from the loon.
                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                          Aren't ye lucky ye have a job in the first place lord save us
                                          Also have a wife.

In this instance she doesn't seem mollified by my revelation that I'll travel out on the Saturday so I can go on the piss in NYC with her brother.

Comment

Australia have gone from 7/1 to 130/1 in the past week in the Eurovision, anyone know the story?
                                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Facebook have banned 8 amendment ads from foreign advertisers. I'm sure this will hit both sides equally hard.

Comment

Not.

Comment

Heard someone say that the jury votes which count for 50% of the semi final totals are in already if that is true they are hardly a very well kept secret.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                    Australia have gone from 7/1 to 130/1 in the past week in the Eurovision, anyone know the story?
                                                    ...People realised they're not European???...

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                      no idea why, but makes them a good bet for top 10, as they've never finished outside of it

Comment

Electoral fraud is probably close to zero (under any system). Electoral fraud prevention is the palatable term for implementing policies to disenfranchise people you don't want voting. And it works amazingly well. Hence why so many of the Southern US states were forbidden from implementing any of these policies for a few decades as they were using it to stop black people voting.

In a more practical sense the current system has to change anyway to move it online, as it will require keeping an entire postal service functional just for voter registration, if it doesn't move online. That will also remove councils and their arbitrariness from process.

A simple process such as turning up to your nearest voting booth on the day with public services ID to vote would clearly work much better. No address needed - wherever you turn up is where your vote is recorded. Electronic recording of ID used to prevent it being used elsewhere would be much more safe anyway.

Plus pre-registration with public services card to allow postal voting for any reason. That voting version to be done online and restricted to your registered address district to prevent gaming districts with strategic voting.
                                                        What is the source of your voter fraud is zero? Depending what source you are reading from if they are democrat or republican biased in the states you will get a different answer for that.

The integrity of democracy is so important that the system needs to be extremely rigorous in who is allowed vote. I don't think it should ever be degraded to an online survey style. There must be a belief that those voting are legal. There is a cloud hanging over the forthcoming referendum on that in regard to the home to vote campaigns on either side. I've even seen some people on here say they dont care if people vote illegally if it means their side wins. This is a very dangerous attitude for the survival of democracy.

Comment

What is the source of your voter fraud is zero? Depending what source you are reading from if they are democrat or republican biased in the states you will get a different answer for that.

The integrity of democracy is so important that the system needs to be extremely rigorous in who is allowed vote. I don't think it should ever be degraded to an online survey style. There must be a belief that those voting are legal. There is a cloud hanging over the forthcoming referendum on that in regard to the home to vote campaigns on either side. I've even seen some people on here say they dont care if people vote illegally if it means their side wins. This is a very dangerous attitude for the survival of democracy.
                                                          If the rules were changed to allow all Irish citizens to vote would that be ok? It's a rule change but hardly moves something from a survival of democracy issue to grand.

Comment

Between 2000 and 2014 there were 31 credible allegations of voter fraud in the US. Out of > 1 Billion votes cast. They didn't just count convictions or charges brought, they included every single credible allegation. Report was published in the Washington Post.

That's something like 0.0000031% of votes.

There's a pretty decent collection of stats on the voter fraud myth in the US here, although it's from the Brennan Centre so I'm sure you'll have a difficulty with it.

As for Ireland - you have asserted there's a voter fraud issue and I have asked you on numerous occasions to point to any evidence whatsoever that there is a voter fraud issue either in previous elections or credibly asserted in the referendum beyond your assertion that HomeToVote is axiomatically an exercise in voter fraud.

Care to point to some now? I'll guess... no.
                                                            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

...Looks like Trump is pulling out of the Iran nuclear deal... He just can't fucking help himself...

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                Between 2000 and 2014 there were 31 credible allegations of voter fraud in the US. Out of > 1 Billion votes cast. They didn't just count convictions or charges brought, they included every single credible allegation. Report was published in the Washington Post.

That's something like 0.0000031% of votes.

There's a pretty decent collection of stats on the voter fraud myth in the US here, although it's from the Brennan Centre so I'm sure you'll have a difficulty with it.

As for Ireland - you have asserted there's a voter fraud issue and I have asked you on numerous occasions to point to any evidence whatsoever that there is a voter fraud issue either in previous elections or credibly asserted in the referendum beyond your assertion that HomeToVote is axiomatically an exercise in voter fraud.

Care to point to some now? I'll guess... no.
                                                                Washington Post is not an unbiased source.

The problem with voter fraud in general is that it isn't analysed properly. I only have compelling antidotial evidence. Again as I said before many times a crime doesn't necessarily have to be reported or investigated for a crime to have occurred.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                  If the rules were changed to allow all Irish citizens to vote would that be ok? It's a rule change but hardly moves something from a survival of democracy issue to grand.
                                                                  The rights and wrongs of that would be a different matter but in that case if there were proper procedures in place to check each person's citizenship it wouldn't be voter fraud.

Comment

The problem with voter fraud in general is that it isn't analysed properly. I only have compelling antidotial evidence. Again as I said before many times a crime doesn't necessarily have to be reported or investigated for a crime to have occurred.
                                                                    Kayroo's face right now

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                      Kayroo's face right now

Apologies bad spelling mistake on the phone typing.

Comment

What is wrong with the methodologies of the 18 or so reports in the link I gave you?

How about Kris Kobach? Republican Secretary of State for Kansas. Reviewed 82 million votes from 22 states. Found 14 cases of voter fraud. Or, to put it another way, a 0.00000017% instance of voter fraud.

And let us not forget. Despite your consistent nonsense about Irish voter fraud you haven't pointed to a single instance of it. You cannot dismiss a report published in the Washington Post out of hand and then cite compelling anecdotal evidence as if the two are even remotely comparable.

You've made the assertion Jack. Let's have the evidence.

Comment

What is wrong with the methodologies of the 18 or so reports in the link I gave you?

How about Kris Kobach? Republican Secretary of State for Kansas. Reviewed 82 million votes from 22 states. Found 14 cases of voter fraud. Or, to put it another way, a 0.00000017% instance of voter fraud.

And let us not forget. Despite your consistent nonsense about Irish voter fraud you haven't pointed to a single instance of it. You cannot dismiss a report published in the Washington Post out of hand and then cite compelling anecdotal evidence as if the two are even remotely comparable.

You've made the assertion Jack. Let's have the evidence.
                                                                          I actually think in general Ireland does a good job at preventing voter fraud bar the issue with returning migrants is an obvious gap in the system.

I have stated an opinion not an assertion I have no hard evidence just as I am sure many of the people affected by huge scandals of the past didn't either.

Comment

Any soft evidence?

Comment

I actually think in general Ireland does a good job at preventing voter fraud bar the issue with returning migrants is an obvious gap in the system.

I have stated an opinion not an assertion I have no hard evidence just as I am sure many of the people affected by huge scandals of the past didn't either.
                                                                              Ha, no. You don't get to do this. You just saying that HomeToVote is somehow electoral fraud with zero evidence is not the Tuam Babies. All of those scandals did have hard evidence. That's the difference between conspiracy theory and actual scandal. Look, let me rephrase it for you.

"I have stated an opinion not an assertion I have no hard evidence just as I am sure many of the people affected by the flat earth scandal didn't either"

Comment

Ha, no. You don't get to do this. You just saying that HomeToVote is somehow electoral fraud with zero evidence is not the Tuam Babies. All of those scandals did have hard evidence. That's the difference between conspiracy theory and actual scandal. Look, let me rephrase it for you.

"I have stated an opinion not an assertion I have no hard evidence just as I am sure many of the people affected by the flat earth scandal didn't either"
                                                                                If that's your opinion that's OK.

Comment

If that's your opinion that's OK.
                                                                                  Can't stand over your point even a tiny little bit?

Can your "opinion" not withstand even the tiniest bit of scrutiny?

Comment

Can't stand over your point even a tiny little bit?

Can your "opinion" not withstand even the tiniest bit of scrutiny?
                                                                                    My opinion is that the current rules are wide open to abuse due to voting cards been still sent to emigrants. Do you accept that point?

I have ancetodal evidence it is been abused and I would fairly sure most people of a certain age bracket know at least someone who does intend to abuse it.

This applies to yes and no of course. All I want is a referendum result that can be stood over.

Comment

My opinion is that the current rules are wide open to abuse due to voting cards been still sent to emigrants. Do you accept that point?
                                                                                      No. Here's why. We've had plenty of referendums over the last few years and there's no evidence of any electoral fraud or people misusing their vote, let alone those votes affecting the outcome of a referendum. Even if we limit it to the last major "HomeToVote" push with the marriage referendum there is no evidence of any sort of electoral fraud.

If there had been any sort of electoral fraud it seems to me that it would have resulted in a challenge to the result. As it happens there were two legal challenges to the last referendum. Neither of them were even remotely successful and neither of them referenced emigrant voters.

Any system is, of course, open to abuse. But your hand-wringing over "a referendum result that could be stood over" is just baseless and nonsensical. There's never been any credible suggestion at all of electoral fraud from emigrant voters. None.

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                                        ...Looks like Trump is pulling out of the Iran nuclear deal... He just can't fucking help himself...
                                                                                        ....and gone.

Claims they are building nukes. Offers zero evidence.

He's a toddler. Anything Obama built, he has to destroy.

Comment

No. Here's why. We've had plenty of referendums over the last few years and there's no evidence of any electoral fraud or people misusing their vote, let alone those votes affecting the outcome of a referendum. Even if we limit it to the last major "HomeToVote" push with the marriage referendum there is no evidence of any sort of electoral fraud.

If there had been any sort of electoral fraud it seems to me that it would have resulted in a challenge to the result. As it happens there were two legal challenges to the last referendum. Neither of them were even remotely successful and neither of them referenced emigrant voters.

Any system is, of course, open to abuse. But your hand-wringing over "a referendum result that could be stood over" is just baseless and nonsensical. There's never been any credible suggestion at all of electoral fraud from emigrant voters. None.
                                                                                          Lack of investigation does not mean a crime has not been committed.

Comment

The ref should really step in and award Kayroo a TKO. Although it's kinda fun.

Comment

I see Facebook is banning non Irish ads on the referendum. Will Irish organisations funded by foreign sources be treated the same such as Amnesty which is openly funded by George Soros?

Comment

....and gone.

At least he put in a few lines to try and win over Hitch.

Comment

I see Facebook is banning non Irish ads on the referendum. Will Irish organisations funded by foreign sources be treated the same such as Amnesty which is openly funded by George Soros?
                                                                                                  He's Jewish you know. And rich. And a Clinton supporter.

<taps nose in knowing fashion, winks suggestively>

Comment

....and gone.

...Of course there is evidence...Didn't Israel say it last week, and they are hardly gonna lie about it...Oh wait...

...I feel bad for the next president, they'll be spending their first 12 months cleaning up Trumps shite...

Comment

Israel's Vicky Pollard

Comment

As said elsewhere bring ur concerns to someone who will listen to your bile
                                                                                                        Like the gump in the us someone somewhere cares for the crap u peddle and they will investigate for you and your little army of trump lovers

Comment

Would doubt that.

What I was wondering is what would stop whoever is funding those ads just donating to the cause/company directly, and they purchase ads? Is it possible it might make no difference?
                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Austrian song the best by miles so far. Rest has been woeful.

Comment

I've a daughter who has been living in the UK for 10 months now and is committed to working there for another 12. She is coming home to vote. if she doesn't come home at the end of her contract will she have committed a crime?

Comment

Fucking clueless moron looks dead set on making sure the regime in Tehran are both strengthened and nudged towards the war Netanyahu is straining at the leash for.
                                                                                                                FFS!

There was so much room for nuance and diplomacy but when you are that fucking thick War War is easier than Jaw Jaw.

On the ever so slightly positive he's made Boris look like an even bigger gobshite than he already did.
                                                                                                                Every other player except Israel were advising the US to show some nuance and this laudramaun tells all the partners and every expert in the state department to GTFO for absolutely no other reason than his insane hatred for Obama.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                  Austrian song the best by miles so far. Rest has been woeful.
                                                                                                                  Wait for Cyprus

Comment

Jedward have been in the gym.

Comment

Chasing teh ghey votes is a brilliant new tactic tbf.

Probably a couple of years too late though.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                                        Wait for Cyprus
                                                                                                                        I'd love to give her a wash and see what you get left with.

Comment

Lack of a crime being committed means a crime has not been committed.

If the standard for credibility is “well that doesn’t mean it HASN’T happened” then one can assume anything has happened at all. The reason people rejected this utterly stupid form of reasoning a few thousand years ago is that it is completely useless.

Your position, effectively, is that just because there’s no evidence it’s happening, no reports of it happening from credible sources, no studies that look at it happening and, accordingly, no investigation into it happening - that doesn’t mean it’s not happening.

If that’s really what you think then I have some magic beans at home if you’re interested...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X