Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
    Does anyone here work with a development team?

I gave the lads some leeway to create a feature for our client and what they handed back was the most hilariously complicated UI I've ever seen.

It does do the job its supposed to though. And if you think really hard logically you'll be able to navigate it without hanging yourself.

But I can't let real people use it!
    Standard,
    I'm sure the interface is a perfectly reasonable implementation of the spec they were given.

Unless you specify exactly how you want the lusers to see it and use it you will usually get a perfectly reasonable implementation of the spec
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
      Standard,
      I'm sure the interface is a perfectly reasonable implementation of the spec they were given.

Unless you specify exactly how you want the lusers to see it and use it you will usually get a perfectly reasonable implementation of the spec
      "Reasonable". To who?

Humans? or Robots?

In any case, you are right, I didn't give them any design prompt just a set of requirements and some AC - but I learned what I needed so it wasn't a total fail, I guess I just posted because the actual UI is so far beyond what I would expect from a "reasonable" Dev, that it was hilarious.
      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

...So Donald trump has announced he is running for re-election ...I will be sticking most of my life role on him not being re-elected president...If he is, I am happy to start my life from scratch again... #noaftertiming...

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          Botswana, Namibia and Ghana are probably the best governed of the African states. Nigeria is a corrupt shithole so I don't know where you got that from.
          I was right about the first two (per this anyway). South Africa, Tunisia and Senegal all beat Ghana though.

The real disgrace on this list is Russia.

And Ireland less corrupt than France HH. You filthy backhanding dog!
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Does anyone here work with a development team?

I gave the lads some leeway to create a feature for our client and what they handed back was the most hilariously complicated UI I've ever seen.

It does do the job its supposed to though. And if you think really hard logically you'll be able to navigate it without hanging yourself.

But I can't let real people use it!
              That's why UX and Dev are two very different skillsets. Get a UX designer on the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                I mean there's two perspectives here. One is an absolutist belief in property rights, and the other is a quite reasonable perspective that thieving colonists shouldn't have absolute property rights to that which they stole in the first place. I think it'll all end disastrously, but I can see why its happening.
                None of the people on those lands today stole them.

So unless you believe in the medieval concept of punishing an ethnic group for things their distant ancestors may have done, I'd drop that line of nonsense quick smart.

Comment

That's why UX and Dev are two very different skillsets. Get a UX designer on the job.
                  Im not disagreeing. I was just seeing how much I really needed one.

Question answered. And then some.
                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Comment

"Reasonable". To who?

Humans? or Robots?

In any case, you are right, I didn't give them any design prompt just a set of requirements and some AC - but I learned what I needed so it wasn't a total fail, I guess I just posted because the actual UI is so far beyond what I would expect from a "reasonable" Dev, that it was hilarious.
                      If you're expecting them to produce the UI from the above, then I'm sorry but you deserve what you got.

Wireframes are what's needed here together with a bunch of navigational use cases.

Comment

Comment

A decent part of my wife's work is telling the developers 'but that doesn't make sense'. Feel your pain Theresa. Maybe a bit of a lesson learned there that IT folk shouldn't be given leeway as their brains are not wired for thinking about end-users.

Always thought the classic example of this is that if you typed in Connolly or Tara Street into the old DART search bar it came back with 'no such place'. As the IT folk had coded it so it could only be accessed when you typed 'Dublin Connolly' or 'Dublin Tara'. Same with Trinity on Dublin Bus - it came back 'we're sorry but Dublin Bus doesn't serve Trinity College Dublin', as the IT geniuses had only coded the specific roads around Trinity, and not thought that someone might actually like to search by the landmark itself.
                          I kinda knew the lesson before I started, but if I dont need to absorb the cost of a UX Designer because the devs are reasonably UX/UI minded, Ill spend it on another Dev!

It was a fun test anyway and like I said, I expected it to be bad, just not so... hilariously bad. It had a pale yellow background.

Your example re train stations is actually excellent naming convention practices from a code standpoint!

Comment

This isn't some ancient history issue like the abolition of slavery in the US. Apartheid only ended in 1993! There's very legitimate grevances from the black community about whether it is effectively remedied if all the natural resources have been locked up by the white community.

I see where you are coming from though. A bit of a common theme with the support for Israelis in the West Bank, Churchill despite all he did in Africa and India, and now the white South Africans.
                            You know the Voortrek took place nearly 200 years ago? (clearly not, so you might want to read up on it) Before the American West was settled.

To take your line of bullshit to its logical conclusion and place it in an Irish context: we should DNA test the entire Irish population. Anyone with a drop of Viking, Norman or Anglo-Saxon blood should be thrown off their land, which should then be given to purebred Celts.

Comment

Botswana, Namibia and Ghana are probably the best governed of the African states. Nigeria is a corrupt shithole so I don't know where you got that from.
                              You also have a number of the Francophone countries, and another dozen or so countries that you could put ahead of Nigeria in terms of corruption and development. Nevertheless Nigeria is the real heart of Africa and the economic and social model the rest are all chasing

Actually it's none of these things.

It's just the ANC sidelining Malema. There won't be forced evictions as in Zimbabwe.

The ZAR has actually strengthened massively in recent months. As no doubt a man of your massive knowledge is aware.
                              This

Comment

You know the Voortrek took place nearly 200 years ago? (clearly not, so you might want to read up on it) Before the American West was settled.

To take your line of bullshit to its logical conclusion and place it in an Irish context: we should DNA test the entire Irish population. Anyone with a drop of Viking, Norman or Anglo-Saxon blood should be thrown off their land, which should then be given to purebred Celts.
                                No need to go back that far. Just send you , Kayroo and SP back home, then the descendants of the Ulster planters, then Northsiders, then fat burds. then Sickpuppy to ride them. (at least until 4 weeks time)

Comment

Only downside to slapping Hitch around like a red-headed stepchild is that I now have jack thanking my posts.

A pyrrhic victory indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                    You also have a number of the Francophone countries, and another dozen or so countries that you could put ahead of Nigeria in terms of corruption and development. Nevertheless Nigeria is the real heart of Africa and the economic and social model the rest are all chasing
                                    Only coz they found a pile of Texas Tea under the Delta!

Comment

Comment

The beast has arrived in stepaside anyway. Some shower of hail just there. Nice to be able to stay under the blankets in the morning and not give a fuck about trying to get to work

Comment

Only downside to slapping Hitch around like a red-headed stepchild is that I now have jack thanking my posts.

A pyrrhic victory indeed.
                                          You haven't slapped anybody around if you have to point it out.

This isn't a few sparkling waters with strawberries in them after hockey m8 where you can talk big. This is bbv.

Get vicious.

Comment

White powdery stuff has arrived in Sandymount.
                                            Beast from the East seems an
                                            entirely inappropriate name though,
                                            all its doing is covering the ground
                                            in a fluffy white blanket
                                            of peace and tranquillity.

Comment

Comment

Snow day!!
                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Ya, office closed today. Contractors worst nightmare.

Comment

Comment

Watch out where the huskys go

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                        Watch out where the huskys go
                                                        I was looking to buy an Akita dog a few years ago and I decided to settle on an American Akita.

I find a guy in Portlaoise, called him and arranged to meet at the petrol station beside the hospital.

I asked him what car was he driving and he says "You'll know me when you see me."
                                                        I was a bit WTF but I wanted the pup and I was obviously curious.

I arrive and then this guy comes around the corner in a homemade trailer/sled with two American Akita's pulling him along.
                                                        Pulls straight along side, tells us to follow him down to the house.

I obviously thought this was great and of course bought a pup off him. I'm sure others have spotted him around Portlaoise. She's a great dog too.

Comment

Was supposed to drive from Meath to Galway today and down to Clare/Kerry after and do Limerick tomorrow. Made it as far as Kinnegad, took two hours so turned round. Boss rang and said everyone stay at home today and tomorrow with pay. Hup.

Comment

TCD are remaining open. Obviously I normally wouldn't care, people can miss a class no biggie but the module is Mon-Wed this week 9-6pm 30% class participation with the bulk of the practical today.

Comment

Kids school seems to be one of very few to remain open. Result!

Comment

Cheltenham Tipping Comp pool now up to €1,250. Still lots of time for supplemental entries.

You could get a weeks holiday away from all this white stuff with that. Alternatively you could buy a pile of white stuff and shove it up your schnozz.

Comment

School closed until Monday...probably the same for DCU.

Comment

Kids school seems to be one of very few to remain open. Result!
                                                                    Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                    School closed until Monday...probably the same for DCU.
                                                                    Should have sent them to the Sparta Academy like RD3.

Comment

Kinda wishing I'd bought an extra sliced pan now.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                        Kinda wishing I'd bought an extra sliced pan now.
                                                                        I don't get the bread thing. Was outside Tesco with the dog waiting and almost every person was walking out arms full of bread. We bought stuff for a beef stew and gonna make a big pot. Just been confirmed no work until Monday. Mini holiday

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                          I don't get the bread thing. Was outside Tesco with the dog waiting and almost every person was walking out arms full of bread. We bought stuff for a beef stew and gonna make a big pot. Just been confirmed no work until Monday. Mini holiday
                                                                          When the electricity goes you'll be sitting there with your raw beef while the rest of us are tucking in to ham sambos. So there.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                            When the electricity goes you'll be sitting there with your raw beef while the rest of us are tucking in to ham sambos. So there.
                                                                            I really don't remember bread being a thing around Ophelia. Or is that just me?

Comment

...Brag- Have to work from home for rest of week, and not too sure if I even have access...
                                                                              ...Beat- I literally only came home from Florida yesterday, I could have stayed another week and worked in 29 degree weather by a swimming pool...
                                                                              ...Variance, laying in bed and very comfy...Also will give me a chance to update the premier league competition which I have neglected...

Comment

Won't be raw. Stew is on and cooking. Will be done in 2 hours ish. Gas cooker to heat up a portion if electric goes and microwave is out of action. Just had a ham sambo tho. Was grand in fairness

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                  I really don't remember bread being a thing around Ophelia. Or is that me?
                                                                                  The same pictures by the same cunts of empty bread shelves went "viral". Haven't seen pictures of empty shelves that good since the ice bucket challenge.

I guess it's started by retards and continued by people who if they want a sambo over next couple of days they better get some bread before all the retards get it. Panic fueling panic. Daft in one way but wish I got some now
                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

A decent part of my wife's work is telling the developers 'but that doesn't make sense'. Feel your pain Theresa. Maybe a bit of a lesson learned there that IT folk shouldn't be given leeway as their brains are not wired for thinking about end-users.

Always thought the classic example of this is that if you typed in Connolly or Tara Street into the old DART search bar it came back with 'no such place'. As the IT folk had coded it so it could only be accessed when you typed 'Dublin Connolly' or 'Dublin Tara'. Same with Trinity on Dublin Bus - it came back 'we're sorry but Dublin Bus doesn't serve Trinity College Dublin', as the IT geniuses had only coded the specific roads around Trinity, and not thought that someone might actually like to search by the landmark itself.
                                                                                    I can see this from both sides. There is a certain art to good UI / UX design, but it is often the simplest, smallest part of the overall build equation. Give me a clearly designed, robustly built, scalable and flexible solution. Changing the UX / UI then becomes a relatively trivial matter. In your example above, a well built solution would make the name changes relatively trivial. Like everything else in life, there's a balance to be struck.

In the working environment, you need to bring the Dev guys who don't have a clue about the end customer along with you - ultimately they're the actual talent who make it happen because typically the UI / UX visionary guy can't do the work.
                                                                                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Good luck eating ham that has been in a turned off fridge for a few days

Ya might be a Jew or a Muslim in your eating habits come Sunday

Comment

Anyone been to anything in "The Studio" at the NCH? How big is it?

Comment

Bit of a bread /stew pissing competition going on.. Cabin fever day 1

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                                            Bit of a bread /stew pissing competition going on.. Cabin fever day 1
                                                                                            What dya have lined up?

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                              What dya have lined up?
                                                                                              Fish finger sambos. Ham is boring.

Comment

Drove into work this morning, roads were very quiet, few hairy moments as rear wheel drive is not good in snow. We're all being sent home at 2PM apperntly and decision about tomorrow will be made tonight depending on the weather

Fair from a snow day, laptop will be with me and working from home, stupid technology allowing remote access!

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                  Good luck eating ham that has been in a turned off fridge for a few days

Ya might be a Jew or a Muslim in your eating habits come Sunday: obv

If you fridge breaks just leave the ham in the car cos it’s cold out
                                                                                                  You’ve obv led a very sheltered life

Comment

...

Comment

Surely the hectorjellys of the world couldn't have anticipated the catastrophic end point of their noble thoughts and dreams.
                                                                                                      You imagine a whole generation of advertising men (yes, I am that sexist) are now fucked.

"if we can't use sex to sell our client's worthless crap, what can we use?"

<silence>

"tell HR to prepare the P45s"

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                        I think it is you sir who have led the sheltered life

Did you have a happy childhood?

Comment

The Mrs is baking banana bread, the fire is roaring nicely and the fridge is full of meat and veg. Let it snow.
                                                                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Everyone banging on about snowstorms and I'm sittting here in my jocks at 11pm mildly annoyed that summer is officially over in 1 hour. Funny old space rock we live on.

Comment

Surely the hectorjellys of the world couldn't have anticipated the catastrophic end point of their noble thoughts and dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                Everyone banging on about snowstorms and I'm sittting here in my jocks at 11pm mildly annoyed that summer is officially over in 1 hour. Funny old space rock we live on.
                                                                                                                Summer wasn't that great tbf... seemed it was a lot colder than last year on average.
                                                                                                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

You imagine a whole generation of advertising men (yes, I am that sexist) are now fucked.

<silence>

It occurs to me that perhaps there is something going on to do with the ubiquity of porn that makes what were the easy ways to use sex to sell crap might not be nearly as effective as it was for previous generations.

Comment

<silence>

end of an era
                                                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                      So my shopping list for the oncoming snow is now... milk (intolerant), bread (allergic) and car (can't drive)

Jasas, the shelter was great while it lasted... not sure about this real world your on about

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                                        Summer wasn't that great tbf... seemed it was a lot colder than last year on average.
                                                                                                                        This year was about the average (recent years at least).
                                                                                                                        But last year was the warmest Jan on record.

Comment

Sky shut up shop today... This was my journey home up a tiny hill lol

Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X