Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
    I hate the fucking eagles
    Take it easy!

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
      Take it easy!
      Dom made a music joke. Eat your heart out Bennyhifi

Comment

When you are lolling at the crypto crash but then the stock market crashes and all your lovely gainzzz for the 6 monthly Espp you were to cash in next week are gonna be wiped

Comment

It was a bit scary - strong echoes of the past - reading all of the posts in the crypto forum on boards going on about 'day trading' and chart analysis, etc... Like a carbon copy of what people were getting excited about during the madness of the dotcom boom, went a bit mad myself at the time so I remember it well!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
            hmmm, seems like Trump lost me about 25k today. This is bigly bad and I agree with this lad:

Interesting to see how he will spin this collapse given so much of his success so far was him claiming he made it go up.
            Wonder if hell claim to have made wages go up causing the slide on wall st.
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
              It was a bit scary - strong echoes of the past - reading all of the posts in the crypto forum on boards going on about 'day trading' and chart analysis, etc... Like a carbon copy of what people were getting excited about during the madness of the dotcom boom, went a bit mad myself at the time so I remember it well!
              Its fun to see that 'buying on the dip to smooth out your overall buying price' is still a recommended thing. And the way the bull posts get thanked 10:1 vis a vis the bear posts. So similar to dotcom forums.
              Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 06-02-18, 10:38.

Comment

Orange crop report - bumper harvest.

Comment

@ireland this week is a pro life bible basher from the US.
                  airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                    Interesting to see how he will spin this collapse given so much of his success so far was him claiming he made it go up.
                    Wonder if hell claim to have made wages go up causing the slide on wall st.
                    We only dropped a few percent!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                      We only dropped a few percent!
                      I have a call with an Irish Times journo on the “free fall” later. We’re only back where we were in December. Still it’s good for getting people out of their comfy inertia if nothing else.

On a complete tangent. 10 Euro tickets on Ticketmaster for leinster v Saracens at the minute. Even if you are the most casual of rugby fans that’s unreal value to watch two great teams go at it.
                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                        The central authority in the argument is not a cabal of feminazis, a corporation or or any other, it is quite simply that decisions made upon wholly subjective 'offence-taking' is utterly subjective, un-testable, and therefore can act as an ultimate authority. If you cannot disagree then what they say goes. That is about as ultimate an authority as it gets!
                        You fear this is happening/will happen to a worrying extent? I have a good episode of the Orville for you called "Majority Rule".
                        An undercover team led by Grayson lands on Sargas 4, an Earth-like planet with a culture similar to that of 21st-century human civilization, to locate two missing anthropologists. There, LaMarr is arrested after a video of him dancing with a beloved statue receives more than a million "down" votes, and must convince the public to pardon him or be subjected to "treatment" for his actions.
                        The judiciary system on that planet is an outrage based one, there are no more courts only people put on trial on TV so everybody can have their say on what happens to them. People like/dislike from their phones and if you get enough dislikes you essentially get reprogrammed/lobotomised.

In a way I can agree with this. Then I consider that studies about video game violence show that they don't make people more violent. That people are able to understand that fantasy and reality are different, and that what we see on TV is not a a guideline for how to live your life and act. And then even if it did, models on TV looking glamorous are just that. If the F1 stars were abusing / harassing the women and somehow making it look like that was appropriate, then perhaps this argument can hold some water.

But they're not. Are they? (I haven't watched F1 in a long time)
                        Those studies remind me of some cholesterol ones I read a few years ago, to get analagous. When they were testing the effect of eggs on raising peoples cholesterol it was found to have little effect, it didn't go up. However when people who don't eat any cholesterol (such as me) were tested their cholesterol went up quite a bit, the first subjects on a typical omnivorous diet (society) were already saturated with cholesterol (violence/misogyny/whatever) through their diet (cultural upbringing) and any more had no effect.
                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 06-02-18, 11:01.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                          @ireland this week is a pro life bible basher from the US.
                          Think the only time i really enjoyed that account was when the Carlow weather chap was involved. Subsequently followed him and enjoy his tweets.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                            Think the only time i really enjoyed that account was when the Carlow weather chap was involved. Subsequently followed him and enjoy his tweets.
                            Yeah I stopped following it, they get gobshites each week.
                            Link to this Carlow lad? I'm still adamant Carlow is a myth so I'll have a look cautiously
                            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                              I agree it makes sense to vote on the matter, I think it would need to be an unbinding plebiscite rather than a referendum (Kayroo can confirm). I've no issue with people voting against the current proposal or any proposal btw. But I'm not a huge fan of people knowingly misusing the the constitution to protect their interest.
                              It would be a convoluted approach but it would work like this as far as I recall:

1. The Dail passes the Abortion Bill 2019 and sends it to the President.
                              2. Before it gets to the President a majority in Dail Eireann and at least one-third of the Seanad sign a petition asking the President to decline to sign the Bill as it contains a matter of such national importance that the will of the people should be ascertained.
                              3. The President convenes the Council of State and considers whether or not the Bill does contain a matter of such national importance that the will of the people should be ascertained. He has to do this within 10 days.
                              4. The President announces his decision - in this scenario we will assume he decides it is of such importance.

At this point there are 2 options:

1. Referendum
                              2. A general election is called. After it has been completed the newly formed Dail Eireann passes a declaration that the Bill should be signed or not.

The President is then bound, as soon thereafter as may be practical, to either sign or decline to sign the Bill entirely.

The results are binding in that the President must or must not sign depending on the outcome.
                              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                It would be a convoluted approach but it would work like this as far as I recall:

1. The Dail passes the Abortion Bill 2019 and sends it to the President.
                                2. Before it gets to the President a majority in Dail Eireann and at least one-third of the Seanad sign a petition asking the President to decline to sign the Bill as it contains a matter of such national importance that the will of the people should be ascertained.
                                3. The President convenes the Council of State and considers whether or not the Bill does contain a matter of such national importance that the will of the people should be ascertained. He has to do this within 10 days.
                                4. The President announces his decision - in this scenario we will assume he decides it is of such importance.

At this point there are 2 options:

1. Referendum
                                2. A general election is called. After it has been completed the newly formed Dail Eireann passes a declaration that the Bill should be signed or not.

The President is then bound, as soon thereafter as may be practical, to either sign or decline to sign the Bill entirely.

The results are binding in that the President must or must not sign depending on the outcome.
                                Pretty convoluted alright. Presumably that's the process by which the public can have a legally binding vote.
                                What about a non-binding plebiscite? Is there any legal issue with asking the question of the electorate? The government is free to ignore of course, but it's also a means to wash their hands of tough decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                  Yeah I stopped following it, they get gobshites each week.
                                  Link to this Carlow lad? I'm still adamant Carlow is a myth so I'll have a look cautiously

Nothing special. Just Irish weather. When it was his turn he spoke about the big freeze of 2010 and how drastic it was compared to the norm. I found it interesting anyway.

Comment

Vodafone’s website would be a joke if done as a transition year project let alone one of the biggest phone companies in Ireland/the world.absolute shambles.
                                    Used to be grand guess they’ve outsourced to guys who don’t give a fk cos they are being paid fuck all
                                    Last edited by Guest; 06-02-18, 14:48.

Comment

Should have bought in the dip.

Edit: Jinxed it.
                                      Last edited by Keane; 06-02-18, 15:09.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                        Apparently Luis Enrique has been lined up as replacement
                                        "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                        "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

i did another tactical rugby piece, talking about the 1322 formation and shape that a lot of teams play(ireland, leinster etc will use this a lot when attacking from wide channels) . Audio isnt great for some reason but it would help me out a lot if you could click on the link and press play.

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                            Pretty convoluted alright. Presumably that's the process by which the public can have a legally binding vote.
                                            What about a non-binding plebiscite? Is there any legal issue with asking the question of the electorate? The government is free to ignore of course, but it's also a means to wash their hands of tough decisions.
                                            No statutory mechanism I'm aware of but they could always come up with one.

However, I don't think we should do that. The Constitution sets down the way this works. For anything that doesn't meet that standard then it's representative democracy all the way. The Dail will decide. And if the people don't like it then they can change the make up of the Dail and the new Dail can change the law. That's how it works.
                                            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                              Vodafone’s website would be a joke if done as a transition year project let alone one of the biggest phone companies in Ireland/the world.absolute shambles.
                                              Used to be grand guess they’ve outsourced to guys who don’t give a fk cos they are being paid fuck all
                                              even a blind sow finds an acorn every now and then
                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Picked up two premiums for €45 each for the Leinster game. Mouth watering tie.

Comment

40 years old. Wow. Saw it in the cinema as an 8 year old kid. Absolutely blew my mind. Wonderful movie. What a score.

Soundtrack from the 1978 Richard Donner film "Superman" with Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman, Christopher Reeve, Ned Beatty, Margot Kidder, Jackie Cooper, Glenn ...
                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Cancer warning labels on alcohol bottles? Gtfo ged Nash

Comment

You don't look a day over 35 m8
                                                      airport, lol

Comment

I've never watched something before that makes me feel like that First Dates Ireland makes me feel, I'll give it that at least.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Dele Alli sex tape.

Didn't know we were still using tape.
                                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                What type of lunatic would spend €31 a month on a racing channel subscription - surely no-one? (no idea if that's the actual cost as seems unrealistically high, but that's what Robbie McNamara said it cost).
                                                                People who bet on horses for a living?

Comment

Comment

Is there many of those? (who do it for a living)

Na, terrible channel as well!
                                                                    Had both in the pub, always showed at the races unless there was a race someone wanted to see!

Comment

Comment

What type of lunatic would spend €31 a month on a racing channel subscription - surely no-one? (no idea if that's the actual cost as seems unrealistically high, but that's what Robbie McNamara said it cost).
                                                                        Yes it's actually E31 a month or E1 a day if that's how you want to look at it, plus if you read the small print in the sign up it's for a minimum of 12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                          No statutory mechanism I'm aware of but they could always come up with one

However, I don't think we should do that. The Constitution sets down the way this works. For anything that doesn't meet that standard then it's representative democracy all the way. The Dail will decide. And if the people don't like it then they can change the make up of the Dail and the new Dail can change the law. That's how it works.
                                                                          I don’t think a statutory mechanism is required though – or rather it doesn’t contravene existing statutory processes. It’s still representative democracy, a plebiscite doesn’t change that. The decisions in completely in the hands of the Dail.
                                                                          The most obvious example of this is the recent same-sex marriage in Australia.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                              I've never watched something before that makes me feel like that First Dates Ireland makes me feel, I'll give it that at least.
                                                                              It's probably one of the only reality programmes that I don't just watch but absolutely love. Your man from Cork tonight was pure car crash tv, brilliant stuff altogether

Comment

If I was offered the chance to move anywhere in the states, San Diego would probably be my first choice.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                  If I was offered the chance to move anywhere in the states, San Diego would probably be my first choice.
                                                                                  Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.

Comment

So, is San Diego worth visiting?

.
                                                                                    Decent spot, beaches are amazing, zoo and seaworld both pretty good, city itself is a bit tame but short train to Tijuana if degenerate Hitch comes out to play.
                                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

San Diego. GO. I hate flying full stop but sure tis worth it.

War of the worlds. Wtf with these advanced aliens not clued up on vaccination. (oops spoiler alert)

Comment

...
                                                                                        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 06-02-18, 23:34.

Comment

Oh it's ridiculously close.
                                                                                          From my memory it was a mix of mental locals, under 21 year old Americans going there for more lenient drink laws, drugs and weird animal sex shows.

Was actually arrested there(first and only time in my life) for pissing on a street, handcuffed to the back of a police pick up truck, driven down a few dodgy dark streets, held for a shockingly small ransom which my friends back in the club had to bring to a drop off point and I was released within thirty mins of being arrested, solid experience all in all.
                                                                                          Last edited by The Situation; 07-02-18, 00:05.
                                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

So, is San Diego worth visiting?
                                                                                            +1 on San Diego. I fell in love with it on J1 as a student. Years later when I lived there I realised it's a small town, but great place to visit for sure. Amazing zoo. Lovely laid back place with perfect weather.

Comment

Trailer for. CLint’s latest looks like it might be ok,I mean Sully was pretty shit but it was because it was just an extended air crash investigation with a fake drama hearing tacked on
                                                                                              The train attack guys seemed to lay low for a while after so story not as known inside out as sullys .guys are playing themselves too

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                Trailer for. CLint’s latest looks like it might be ok,I mean Sully was pretty shit but it was because it was just an extended air crash investigation with a fake drama hearing tacked on
                                                                                                The train attack guys seemed to lay low for a while after so story not as known inside out as sullys .guys are playing themselves too
                                                                                                ...Is this the 15:17 to Paris film?... Was actually talking to someone earlier on about this...The trailer seems to be everywhere online with ads before watching clips....Also, the fact the trailer shows so little of the story actually works pretty well...It's a great trailer, really caught my attention...

Comment

New Cloverfield is rubbish. I'm not surprised but I was hoping.

San Diego is unreal Hitch. Whats the trip for? Atlassian hold their conference there, or did last year.

I get to go to a summit in New Jersey, in March. Which is basically the complete opposite of San Diego in most ways.
                                                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Following its first test launch, Falcon Heavy is now the most powerful operational rocket in the world by a factor of two. With the ability to lift into orbi...

...Not sure if it was posted, but this is the falcon heavy test flight...Fast forward to around the 29 minute mark, and watch the last 14 minutes...It is absolutely brilliant, went absolutely perfect for them...The Starman is quality also!!!...

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                      From my memory it was a mix of mental locals, under 21 year old Americans going there for more lenient drink laws, drugs and weird animal sex shows.

Was actually arrested there(first and only time in my life) for pissing on a street, handcuffed to the back of a police pick up truck, driven down a few dodgy dark streets, held for a shockingly small ransom which my friends back in the club had to bring to a drop off point and I was released within thirty mins of being arrested, solid experience all in all.
                                                                                                      Similar experience in Bray. Spent the night in a cell.

Comment

He was eager to create new, cash-generating ventures at Airbnb, people familiar with his work said. He quietly built a hedge fund within the company’s finance department. He used a portion of capital from the balance sheet to buy stocks, currencies and fixed-income securities, mimicking the treasury fund he ran at Blackstone. The side project represented 30 percent of the company’s cash flow last year and made about $5 million a month for Airbnb, the people said.
                                                                                                        Sounds crazy, hope he wasn't selling vol.

The latest news about airlines, hotels, destinations, online booking technology and more essential sectors in the global travel industry.

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                                                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSw...45&app=desktop

...Not sure if it was posted, but this is the falcon heavy test flight...Fast forward to around the 29 minute mark, and watch the last 14 minutes...It is absolutely brilliant, went absolutely perfect for them...The Starman is quality also!!!...
                                                                                                          Needs more whooping Americans.

Comment

USA to hold military parade that will be epic!

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                              New Cloverfield is rubbish. I'm not surprised but I was hoping.
                                                                                                              It's some pile of crap alright

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                                                                                USA to hold military parade that will be epic!
                                                                                                                Why would it be epic? Seems like the type of thing a man with very small hands would do

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                                                  Why would it be epic? Seems like the type of thing a man with very small hands would do
                                                                                                                  Small hands?

Will be really cool to see how the greatest military power in the world do the parade,.

Comment

Small hands?

Will be really cool to see how the greatest military power in the world do the parade,.

Guess we just have very different ideas on what's cool. My dad would probably watch

Comment

Small hands?

Sounds a bit....Cold War.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Small hands?

They might invite you to lead the parade that would be nice for you

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X