Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
    Where someone is from is a fundamental of any case. So without that basic information how can they go beyond into ruling in or out anything. How can you rule out terrorism without having other basic facts in 24 hours from the event. Why such a rush??

Knowing where someone is from will allow them source his previous criminal records, family ties, associations, background facts all essential to establishing If someone is a terrorist or not. Date of birth would be important to again in establishing these facts as often these records will be associated with a date of birth and of course if they can put him on trial as an adult.
    White American male, born 1940s. Attended Ivy League college.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

@Kayroo people are entitled to ask questions without knowing the answers when things don’t make sense.

Comment

Even if you accept there is a miniscule chance this lad is just a complete moron and not being deeply sinister, what is it with Shinners and making pure mentalist videos

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Comment

@Kayroo people are entitled to ask questions without knowing the answers when things don’t make sense.
                That’s not what you’re doing. You are making assumptions and then “asking questions” to fit into that assumption. You’re also making assertions about “other forces” without any basis whatsoever.

That’s conspiracy theory, not inquiry.
                You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  My mind went here:

EDIT: LOL, did not see the other post

Last edited by Kayroo; 07-01-18, 20:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                    It's healthy to engage though, how else can we begin to understand the thinking behind views we find abhorrent?

The current culture of muting is harmful to our cultural growth in my humble opinion.
                    How else can you persuade people away from bad ideas? If Jack went off to the Daily Mail comment section, there would never be a hope of that. Here he at least has a chance of seeing some sense.
                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Comment

Comment

Stumbled upon a John Coltrane documentary on Netflix. Well worth a spin, though could have left Bill Clinton out. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cha...e_documentary/

Chasing TraneUSA 99 mins“The genius of John Coltrane comes to life in an elegantly crafted documentary that can hook jazz novices as well as connoisseurs.” –...
                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Kingsmill v close to home for me. The attack was in retaliation for the murder of a catholic family wrongly identified by Intelligence services as IRA members. The same people that bombed Dublin went to their house and wiped out half a family. Think there is a documentary about the glenanne gang in development.

Mention that just for historic context, not in any way saying Kingsmill was anything other than abhorrent. The sole survivor played in local snooker league with me a few years ago, very classy guy. Seems to be a policy of kicking the truth down the road with cases like this, and waiting til the people involved pass away.
                            Last edited by mocata; 07-01-18, 22:13. Reason: Paisley allegation was years later, i conflate them in my memory of the whole sorry saga
                            Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                            https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

The ridiculousness of these markets shows no bounds

IrishCoin (IRL)

The live IrishCoin price today is $0 USD with a 24-hour trading volume of $0 USD. We update our IRL to USD price in real-time.

Opr

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                  Good god - $830m. We've got to launch a coin.
                                  Tron, The $14 Billion Whitepaper With No Product

I think it has something like 100x'ed over the last month. Doug Polk did a video on it recently and the whitepaper is amazing

Start it at 6min 15sec roughly

Opr

Comment

Comment

Of course it's ok to asked questions about which you don't understand. But when people point out the obvious answers, and you continue to post the same drivel in the guise of questions, it's blatantly obvious that finding the answer wasn't on the agenda.

Comment

hitchcoin
                                        "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                        "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

"Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                          "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

This goal is a thing of beauty

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                              This goal is a thing of beauty

That’s nice football

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                Think we've covered this a few times, but what a are good places for a reasonably priced meal for 12-14 people? Think keshk is in an early lead for having byob and no corkage.
                                                If your in that area, angelina on percy place does really nice pizzas and the wine isnt a massive gouge for what you get.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                  It's healthy to engage though, how else can we begin to understand the thinking behind views we find abhorrent?

The current culture of muting is harmful to our cultural growth in my humble opinion.
                                                  There are plenty of points of view that I have neither the time nor the inclination to spend understanding the thinking or lack their of behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                    Of course it's ok to asked questions about which you don't understand. But when people point out the obvious answers, and you continue to post the same drivel in the guise of questions, it's blatantly obvious that finding the answer wasn't on the agenda.
                                                    Or their answers suited their agenda.

Comment

ROBIN ; the batmobile won't start
                                                      BATMAN: check the battery
                                                      ROBIN: what’s a tery

Comment

What agenda? Name it please.

Comment

Quality street
                                                          I remember last summer, chatting to President Trump's youngest son, Eric. Like a man with a secret the world has not yet cottoned on to, ...
                                                          Even your altJack account is more winning

Comment

Hit the road Jack, you know Jack shit
                                                            Jack it in

Or

I'd rather Jack than Fleetwood Mac.

Voting lines closed in 15 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                              The ridiculousness of these markets shows no bounds

IrishCoin (IRL)

The live IrishCoin price today is $0 USD with a 24-hour trading volume of $0 USD. We update our IRL to USD price in real-time.

Opr
                                                              LOL

For alt coin lovers CANYA launching today, 2nd largest ICO in aussie history. Moon boots mandatory
                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

ah yes, Niamh Horan, that brave voice speaking for the people.
                                                                I remember last summer, chatting to President Trump's youngest son, Eric.

as clickbait goes, it does its job well

on womens rugby...
                                                                "As I bent over with a blonde's hand slipping around the top of my thigh, I pondered how there are worse ways to burn calories on a sleepy Thursday evening. Now usually I'd make someone buy me dinner before getting into this position."
                                                                On mens rugby
                                                                Brian O’Driscoll was in full flight celebrating the country’s first Caithreim Mhor in 61 years in a sensational climax to their Six Nations Championship.
                                                                All eyes were on the Irish captain as he danced in Reynard’s nightclub.
                                                                His ex Glenda Gilson, however, sat in the corner of the club on the periphery of the action. And it was clear she had no interest in her former flame.
                                                                Instead her eyes were firmly fixed on the property developer sitting across the table, Johnny Ronan, a man who was to become her beau.
                                                                The year was 2009 and Glenda had clearly moved on.
                                                                On health
                                                                Rosanna Davison sparked an outcry after saying that research that could possibly link gluten to conditions including rheumatoid arthritis, autism and schizophrenia is the subject of hot debate.
                                                                Social media went into overdrive. The Twitter hashtag (a device used to follow an online conversation) said it all: "Rosanna in Highest". The message was clear: this girl needs to be taken down a peg or two.
                                                                Davison is beautiful, comes from a wealthy family, is well-educated, with a Miss World title under her belt, and now her book has just been published. She's exactly the type of woman some people love to hate.
                                                                I witnessed it as a student in UCD. Davison had just won the Miss World crown and a photograph of her smiling brightly was splashed across the front page of the student newspaper, which I was writing for at the time.

I dunno, something just doesn't shout hard nosed political analyst to me...
                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Barron Trump really does look a lot younger than Eric. Must be a late developer.
                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Ah yes, the whole forum has a conspiracy agenda against your altJack persona.
                                                                    That's much more plausible than the alternative

Comment

Anyone know of a good WW2 podcast? Dan Carlin's WW1 series is excellent, but he doesn't seem to have one on WW2.

I started Ray Harris Jr's one but found some of it a bit off-putting, e.g. in the first episode he repeatedly describes the terms of the Treaty of Versailles as totally reasonable, a few uses of phrases like 'criminals, degenerates and perverts' in descriptions of the early Nazi party etc.

I know the Nazi's are the bad guys etc but I'd prefer something that doesn't editorialise in such a heavy-handed manner.

Comment

Is Jack disappointed it wasn't terrorism?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                          Anyone know of a good WW2 podcast? Dan Carlin's WW1 series is excellent, but he doesn't seem to have one on WW2.

I started Ray Harris Jr's one but found some of it a bit off-putting, e.g. in the first episode he repeatedly describes the terms of the Treaty of Versailles as totally reasonable, a few uses of phrases like 'criminals, degenerates and perverts' in descriptions of the early Nazi party etc.

I know the Nazi's are the bad guys etc but I'd prefer something that doesn't editorialise in such a heavy-handed manner.
                                                                          Its a TV show rather than a podcast but The World at War is required viewing for everyone.

Comment

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Just did something that would have been very unlike me for most of my adult life; I willing bought Quorn Vegetarian Chicken Slices at lunch, along with cheese and rocket, and made a nice sandwich - it honestly tasted pretty much like 'regular' chicken to me!

Ever since watching Okja and seeing the discussion here on animal welfare, etc... I've finally tried to avoid non-free range & organic chicken or pork products, which is impossible if you go for mass-produced pre-made food such as soups and so on.

I'm never going to become a vegetarian but I've honestly had a growing problem with the ethical treatment of the animals we eat, I've tried to ignore the situation for years (and it's less taxing on the pocket to do so) but hearing so much about the miserable life of chickens and pigs is just depressing.

I'm taking as gospel that Irish cows and sheep have fairly decent lives, so won't be changing anything in terms of beef and lamb but am going to actively seek out ethically-sourced pork and chicken in Dublin if I can and experiment with veggie alternatives. Anyone know of decent butchers in the capital, southside if possible?

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Anyone know of decent butchers in the capital, southside if possible?
                                                                                Lawlors on Upper Rathmines Road should do free range chicken and pork - great butchers

Comment

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Just did something that would have been very unlike me for most of my adult life; I willing bought Quorn Vegetarian Chicken Slices at lunch, along with cheese and rocket, and made a nice sandwich - it honestly tasted pretty much like 'regular' chicken to me!

Ever since watching Okja and seeing the discussion here on animal welfare, etc... I've finally tried to avoid non-free range & organic chicken or pork products, which is impossible if you go for mass-produced pre-made food such as soups and so on.

I'm never going to become a vegetarian but I've honestly had a growing problem with the ethical treatment of the animals we eat, I've tried to ignore the situation for years (and it's less taxing on the pocket to do so) but hearing so much about the miserable life of chickens and pigs is just depressing.

I'm taking as gospel that Irish cows and sheep have fairly decent lives, so won't be changing anything in terms of beef and lamb but am going to actively seek out ethically-sourced pork and chicken in Dublin if I can and experiment with veggie alternatives. Anyone know of decent butchers in the capital, southside if possible?
                                                                                  *A wild vegan appears*

That's great stuff, good on you. Pigs and chickens definitely have the worst of it and I'd look into what free range actually means for them. The worst thing for beef etc is that we export them to places with worse standards, most are exported dairy calves to be killed as veal so we can say we don't do it here) I'll let you in on a secret, every single vegetarian and vegan has at one point said that they would never be one, see you in a few years. Any step is a good one, the more people like you the better.

I think the real thing that gets people to change is convenience food like that quorn sandwich (there are loads of nicer stuff out there too), most people are like well, that sucks and all but can I be bothered?

Luckily seeing a lot of growth in convenience, this month tesco are releasing all this animal free stuff and I will live like a king, lazily:

Full Range:
                                                                                  Sandwiches & Wraps

Spicy Frijoles Wrap
                                                                                  Carrot Pastrami-Spiced Wrap
                                                                                  Smashin’ Pumpkin Falafel Sandwich
                                                                                  Hoi Sin Mushroom Wrap
                                                                                  Sweet Potato Pakora Wrap
                                                                                  Fiery Tofu & Slaw Sandwich

Ready Meals
                                                                                  Muay Thai Curry
                                                                                  BBQ Butternut Mac
                                                                                  Wicked Teriyaki Noodles
                                                                                  Naked Burrito
                                                                                  Gunpowder Potato Chana Masala
                                                                                  Veggie Pasta and Amazeballs
                                                                                  Nana’s Mushroom Bolognese
                                                                                  BBQ Beans and Mash
                                                                                  Curried Cauli Onion Bhaji & Coconut Rice

Salads

Rainbow Curry Bowl
                                                                                  Kung Fu Bowl
                                                                                  Moroccan-Inspired Bowl

Pizzas
                                                                                  Caponata Sourdough Pizza
                                                                                  BBQ Mushroom Sourdough Pizza
                                                                                  I think it's due in part to a lot of people trying veganuary (going vegan for January obv) with 150000 people signing up this year, so places are cashing in.
                                                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 08-01-18, 15:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                    Its a TV show rather than a podcast but The World at War is required viewing for everyone.
                                                                                    Thanks for that. I'm sure I've seen bits and pieces if not most of that over the years but I'll have a proper look again.

Comment

Dont get hung up on organic for meat as that stops dosing the animals to keep them alive. For example the achail black face seems to be the current fashionable lamb and they are dosed up to the gills to survive on the side of mountains in achail.

Free range is the one that is important for quality of life and potentially organic is actually a negative for outside animals as they may get sick more often? Its not all angel dust.

I heard a woman arguing with a butcher in Donnybrook before demanding organic pork and he said that he has happy pork but no organic pork as farmers shouldn't be raising pigs without anything going into their systems. She was having none of it tho and was full sure she could buy organic pork in Tesco so would go there instead.

Dunnes in donnybrook is the butchers in question and is excellent
                                                                                      Last edited by RichieM; 08-01-18, 14:34.

Comment

Well, also moved from free-range eggs to organic recently, as I know the organic status is more ethical than free-range in terms of number of chicken per square meter, where they roam, etc... Hopefully the extra few cent (and it is only a few cent) per egg is worth it and not just great marketing from the organic producers

*Ah, see it is indeed more complicated than that as Richie says above

Comment

I thought free-range chicken wasn't as better for welfare as you'd think, something about high rates of cannibalism and other draw backs?

Comment

Well, also moved from free-range eggs to organic recently, as I know the organic status is more ethical than free-range in terms of number of chicken per square meter, where they roam, etc... Hopefully the extra few cent (and it is only a few cent) per egg is worth it and not just great marketing from the organic producers

*Ah, see it is indeed more complicated than that as Richie says above
                                                                                            I could be totally wrong on some of it but I think its antibiotics that remove the organic tag for most of our meat. In other parts of the world it is because only GM grains are sustainable and any animals feed them are thus not organic.Tar I am sure has a better handle on what the tags actually mean but thats just my understanding.

I buy all my meat for cooking from a butcher and blindly presume that they are buying better treated animals than Tesco. Helps that it tastes way better.

Lunch stuff for during the week comes from supermarkets in packages so I imagine comes from all sorts of places.

Comment

Free-range and organic are pretty much both a farce but still they are better than the alternative. Your best bet would be buying eggs from a farmers market. Most people that don't buy them from there are just concerned with what happens to the males in the industry (thrown in blenders shortly after birth)

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                              I thought free-range chicken wasn't as better for welfare as you'd think, something about high rates of cannibalism and other draw backs?
                                                                                              Basically conditions used to be so bad that the chickens were too close to each other to hurt each other, often they couldn't even stand under their own weight (if they were being eaten), but are so closely packed together the mass is holding them up. When they got a bit more room it's still terrible conditions but they are able to hurt each other out of stress or whatever, even though their beaks have been partially cut off. As the Guardian article above says, it takes Disney levels of imagination and a picture of a few chickens in a field to think that producing billions of eggs like this is in any way fine for the chickens.
                                                                                              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 08-01-18, 15:02.

Comment

Are the Norweigans coming this year? Any schedule on here somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                                                  Are the Norweigans coming this year? Any schedule on here somewhere?
                                                                                                  Runs from 17th march straight after Irish Open at citywest

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                    I'm still off too, that's right, let the hate flow through you.
                                                                                                    Whoops, this appears to have bit me in the ass. I booked last week off last year, so it was taken out of my leave for that year on the system, then the leave resets come January and it came out of that leave too (can't carry it over). I dun fucked up.

Comment

Ok . From HENce forth no more chicken for me.
                                                                                                      Wish I had the will power to be a veggie eater
                                                                                                      We stink as a species at times. I like veggie burgers and Dunnes new buckwheat soup.
                                                                                                      No more chicken

Comment

With the Bafta results now out, it looks like I've seen most of the films already:

Three Billboards outsibe Ebbing,Missouri: classy entertaining drama with some fantastic acting

Coco: it's no "Book of life" but solid effort by Pixar to play with the day of the dead

Ladybird: Meh, coming of age movie, which meanders a bit too much. just like the teenagers it represents, it's a bit waffly.

I, Tonya: Quirky depiction of Tonya Harding and "that" incident. If anything it may just be a bit too long, but is highly enjoyable the whole way through.

The shape of water: Pure class. really enjoyed this one. just bizarre enough for Del Toro, but beautifully shot and a great love story.

Comment

Bought a posw masternode today for the laugh with my altcoin profits, I have no idea what I'm doing really, but it's shit or bust now

To the moooooooooooon!

Also only 8 of you have donated to me in the multi events? Poor form
                                                                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                              major swongs today.
                                                                                                              Lots of red candles.....(I stuck a few quid in over the weekend, so I get to use all these memes now)

HODL!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                major swongs today.
                                                                                                                Lots of red candles.....(I stuck a few quid in over the weekend, so I get to use all these memes now)

HODL!!!!
                                                                                                                Looks to have been mainly fueled by Coinmarketcap taking 50bn off the market value by removing Korean exchanges. The aggregated prices obviously fell when they were removed and then that caused selling as people thought prices were dropping hugely from nowhere.

Most cryptocurrency enthusiasts are well aware that the prices on CoinMarketCap.com look skewed. This is mainly because the site has continued to factor South Korean prices into its global averag

Opr

Comment

Is it not a bit weird that the volatility seems to be higher now, further into crypto's life cycle?

Comment

I'm not sure if the volatility is higher or not. In the case that it is not it just appears to be since the numbers are so large. If it goes from $10 -> $12 -> $10 it doesn't seem as much as when that is 10000 -> 12000 ->10000 but it is the same percentage change.

If it is more volatile it's because of the huge increase in popularity, that's bound to destabilize things, millions of people entering the market. It's pretty much in it's infancy even though it's nearly a decade old.

Comment

Is it not a bit weird that the volatility seems to be higher now, further into crypto's life cycle?
                                                                                                                      BTC hasn't really been that volatile. It has been pretty consistent in price well at least relative to the large swings seen previously. The rest of the market hasn't really been that volatile either over the last month. Nothing but gains The whole thing though always feels like it is on a knife edge that once an exodus starts it will be a landslide out. Something like TRON as a top 10 coin blowing up could cause mass panic. Most people still don't have any faith in it as a real market and if they do they think it is massively overvalued and are generally just trying to get rich quick.

The money trying to get in though is still huge. All the major exchanges Kraken, Binance, Bitfinex etc had to stop taking new customers this week due to the volume of accounts being created.

Opr

Comment

This guy has a theory on Bitcoin

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

The money trying to get in though is still huge.
                                                                                                                          Opr
                                                                                                                          This is the only metric that matters in the world of magic money.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X