Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
    Did you read it SP? I'd be very much oblivious to almost everything related to him. Is it worth reading having little knowledge of him and his escapades?
    From what I've heard and read, it's poorly written, and apart for the few revelations, there isn't much else substance wise. Basically just a get rich quick scheme

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
      Did you read it SP? I'd be very much oblivious to almost everything related to him. Is it worth reading having little knowledge of him and his escapades?
      Do you enjoy fiction?

Or shocking revelations after I’m sure scouring the bottom of the barrel that a man enjoys eating cheeseburgers in bed and also insists on changing his own sheets!

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
        Believe what makes you feel happy, which is basically who this book is aimed at. The Trump haters who are struggling to deal with 7 more years.
        Dom made a very interesting observation about you yesterday. You've morphed over the last while from a relatively harmless guy posting on ranging topics just like everyone else into this alt right character with strong Islamophobic views.

Here's my take on it.

You've watched your beloved catholic church's authority and influence over society disintegrate piece by piece, the marriage ref, the horrific scandals, the 8th etc and you blame the liberal left for this.

You've developed a hatred for the liberal left. Clinton represented all that you despise. Trump didn't represent your views but his perceived hatred of the left gave you common ground. David Quinn followed a similar path, I haven't seen him display much in the way of Islamophobia though.

You started to listen more to Trump, and what he had to say. Your hard right views on immigration and particularly on Islam were most likely dormant in your mind. He's brought them out in you.

This sirs is the danger of Trump.

He's awakening this all over the world.

Always amazes me that everything nasty and negative in this country has the stink of the catholic church wafting strongly from it.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
          Just back from a 3 week trip to Thailand. I'l save the long trip report but in short...

> Phi Phi Islands, just class
          Did you just go to Phi Phi Ley or did you get to Pho Phi Don also?

Spent Christmas 2002 on Phi Phi Don and it was a great little island. There was a great little hike up to the top of the island where you could view both sides of the island.

Wonder what it is like now having been fully rebuilt after the 2004 tsunami.

Comment

Isn't tomorrow supposed to be the most depressing day of the year ?

Off to Liverpool (unlike Couthino) on the 26 th Jan. Best sports for a middle aged group of pervs to eye the wimmins unchecked ?

Also things to do for normal folk .? Doing the Beatles thing . Last time I was in Liverpool they were on a perch.

Comment

Do you enjoy fiction?

Or shocking revelations after I’m sure scouring the bottom of the barrel that a man enjoys eating cheeseburgers in bed and also insists on changing his own sheets!
              Have you read it?

Id love to see you reaction if a similar book came out about Obama, or he sent out tweets like your beloved did yesterday.
              airport, lol

Comment

Haha Niamh Horan wrote that article mate, if you are agreeing with her you should know youve lost it
                airport, lol

Comment

Just back from a 3 week trip to Thailand. I'l save the long trip report but in short...

> Chiang Mai night market, jesus it's huge.
                  > Phuket - didn't leave the resort but the beach (Karon) was class
                  > Phi Phi Islands, just class. I did a day trip but would be happy doing 3 days island hopping. Few pics here
                  > Koh Samui, tis grand. Went golfing there on an absolute beast of a course; Santiburi.
                  > Koh Tao a kip of sorts but was good fun to do some diving.
                  > Bangkok, a mad spot. Transport infrastructure is 1800's meets 21st century.
                  > Food - some great spots along the way highlights which were...
                  >>> Zazen on Koh Samui for Christmas dinner which was a Lobster Red Curry
                  >>> Gallery on Koh Tao gave me what was probably the best Thai dish i've ever had. It was a Prar Kung which was deep fried prawns with spicy herbs and salad.
                  >>> Sirocco in Bangkok was recommended on here, setting was exceptional, food criminally expensive and I went for the tasting menu with matched wines. Some very good dishes here, but ultimately they don't season enough for the western palate. Pic here of the view

Finally, seems my joke went over the head of almost everyone, got zero bites..
                  SPOILER

Thanks to everyone on here that gave me pointers along the way. Think US or South America is next on the list.
                  Did ya get a caddy for the golf ? Heard twas cheap

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                    Have you read it?
                    I don’t read fake news.

@Lazare lol

Comment

I don’t read fake news.

@Lazare lol
                      Correct though innit

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                        Terrarium if you have an android device is pretty simple stuff
                        Wow, this is great. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                          Dom made a very interesting observation about you yesterday. You've morphed over the last while from a relatively harmless guy posting on ranging topics just like everyone else into this alt right character with strong Islamophobic views.

Here's my take on it.

You've watched your beloved catholic church's authority and influence over society disintegrate piece by piece, the marriage ref, the horrific scandals, the 8th etc and you blame the liberal left for this.

You've developed a hatred for the liberal left. Clinton represented all that you despise. Trump didn't represent your views but his perceived hatred of the left gave you common ground. David Quinn followed a similar path, I haven't seen him display much in the way of Islamophobia though.

You started to listen more to Trump, and what he had to say. Your hard right views on immigration and particularly on Islam were most likely dormant in your mind. He's brought them out in you.

Always amazes me that everything nasty and negative in this country has the stink of the catholic church wafting strongly from it.
                          The thing is though, that most US dems (or liberals as they republicans spit out) would be considered centre right over here, similar to fg or ff, so somewhat Conservative.

Comment

Jack I'm sure there's s daily mail comment section crying out for your input

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                              Yeah the inbetweeners and every other comedy ever... 21st century comedy employs Commedia dell'Arte archtype shock horror
                              You realise that was a casual observation, not a criticism.
                              I'm aware that the buffoon is a sitcom staple. But imo the similarity with Neil from Inbetweeners is much more striking that Trigger, Douglas or Joey, for example.

Comment

GFYL leave the church alone.

Will still pray for you every Sunday.

Comment

Here's my take on it.

But it's good to get Jacks views so the place doesn't turn into an echo chamber, right?

I don't agree with a lot of what you post, I don't agree with almost everything Jack posts (dunno what that says about me) but I still enjoy reading both sides.

Comment

I dunno I was lapping up the fre and fury stuff initially and obv trump and his lackeys are deranged cunts but the more I see of Wollf the more I believe the guy took a lot of artistic license with the book.he def has some credibility issues ,even someon the left seem to be acknowledging that. The spirit of it is prob mostly true though
                                    Last edited by Guest; 07-01-18, 14:12.

Comment

Also note that the Clinton foundation is being investigated again,they were on about it even on CNN the other day ,amazing how such an apparently noble charity folded once they had no access to sell. Remember Trump wouldn’t be president if the other side hadn’t put forward such an awful compromises candidate. Can’t believe there is still rumors she wants to go again in 2020

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                        But it's good to get Jacks views so the place doesn't turn into an echo chamber, right?

I don't agree with a lot of what you post, I don't agree with almost everything Jack posts (dunno what that says about me) but I still enjoy reading both sides.
                                        Yeah, I totally agree, have said so before.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Peter Sutherland died this morning.

Comment

Hitch is there any room for a journal that posts negative search results? Surely they're still with noting

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                  No its not! It was a date made up to sell holidays.

A succinct summary from wiki
                                                  Yeah. It's got to be May time for Liverpool fans.

:-)

Comment

We should also try to track down someone who thinks the jews had it coming so we can hear both sides. I'd also like to hear out a few flatearthers in the interest of balance, and the echo chamber on here ignoring chemtrails mindcontrolling people (wake up sheeple!) is shocking. Why not just all box away a few agreed common grounds rather than this idea of 'balance' and 'listen to both sides', which has become shorthand for giving the crazies a voice. There's sensible conservative voices, but talking about the mainstream media ignoring the terrorist attacks in Dundalk because the Dublin elite don't want you to know about killer muslims is not sensible conservatism and no-one learns anything by listening to that crap. We're creating an idiocracy in the interests of balance.
                                                    That free speech tho

Comment

Think we've covered this a few times, but what a are good places for a reasonably priced meal for 12-14 people? Think keshk is in an early lead for having byob and no corkage.

Comment

18 holes, buggy and caddy came in at c.125 euro.
                                                        Worth it, only if the caddy was running alongside the buggy.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                          GFYL leave the church alone.

Will still pray for you every Sunday.
                                                          Think hes ok with Mosques though. I heard him singing last week when passing by his gaff. It could have been Sean Nos though I guess.

Comment

Harrington and Kimmage reviewing the papers on Newstalk was top drawer. Will be up on podcast shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                              Think hes ok with Mosques though. I heard him singing last week when passing by his gaff. It could have been Sean Nos though I guess.
                                                              Funny, just had a lovely chat with a Muslim family about deer antlers.

Comment

Saw a clip on Facebook the other day of the Tommy Tiernan show and he was interviewing some Muslim fella. Tommy says when he was on holiday he heard the Muslim call to prayer and said it was fantastic. Asked the lad to recite a verse. Guy goes yes of course, Tommy interrupts him and says now you're not gonna blow up after saying this are you. Cue awkward laughter from the audience.

Comment

Saw a clip on Facebook the other day of the Tommy Tiernan show and he was interviewing some Muslim fella. Tommy says when he was on holiday he heard the Muslim call to prayer and said it was fantastic. Asked the lad to recite a verse. Guy goes yes of course, Tommy interrupts him and says now you're not gonna blow up after saying this are you. Cue awkward laughter from the audience.
                                                                  I was watching that during the week. Nearly fell off the couch
                                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Comment

Yeah, I watched it, was really cringey, as was his first interview. Foster and Allen were good though.

Loved that show when I first saw it, not gone on it now, I don't find that cringe feeling entertaining.

Good format for someone like Dara O Briain.

Comment

That free speech tho
                                                                        No it's not. That's not what free speech means at all.
                                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Not all free speech deserves an equal listening to!

And you don't have free speech, you might be thinking of Murica land of the free. The Irish constitution (Kayroo hears a batcall) is quite restrictive on what speech you can make (i.e. explicitly forbids speech that undermines "public order or morality or the authority of the State"). Libel, copyright, equality laws, and loads of other laws, also restrict what you can say. This has nothing to do with the main point, just noting it in case you decide to walk down the street shouting n***er at black people assuming you're protected by free speech.
                                                                          Even in the US "free speech" doesn't mean we have to listen to everyone's point of view. It means the state cannot criminalise speech or punish speech, particularly speech aimed at criticism of the state.

It does not mean that we have to give a voice to thoroughly unmeritorious points of view or give credence to the people who hold them. It is not a corollary of the right to free speech that we have to listen to anyone. Nor do we have to "respect other people's opinions". As you say, it's not a round-earth libtard echo-chamber if we ridicule people who say the earth is flat. Nor is it an echo-chamber to call out and ridicule bullshit positions in other areas. What we do not need is to "hear both sides". That creates a false equivalence between the two sides. There is no other side to some issues, or perhaps there are many sides (the abortion referendum will be a good example of that) but occasionally there is only one side.

Free speech stops the state from interfering with unpalatable criticism or speech directed towards the state. It doesn't give a platform to unpalatable opinions generally, nor does it require us to give them even an ounce of legitimacy.

Comment

It's healthy to engage though, how else can we begin to understand the thinking behind views we find abhorrent?

The current culture of muting is harmful to our cultural growth in my humble opinion.

Comment

Out of the league and the FA Cup, soon to get a spanking in the league cup. And its only January 7th. Why did I give up drinking for January?

#WengerOut

Comment

...

Comment

Not all free speech deserves an equal listening to!

And you don't have free speech, you might be thinking of Murica land of the free. The Irish constitution (Kayroo hears a batcall) is quite restrictive on what speech you can make (i.e. explicitly forbids speech that undermines "public order or morality or the authority of the State"). Libel, copyright, equality laws, and loads of other laws, also restrict what you can say. This has nothing to do with the main point, just noting it in case you decide to walk down the street shouting n***er at black people assuming you're protected by free speech.
                                                                                  I'm never sure how I come across on forums like this but the fact you think I'd do that in the street is a little.unsettling. I'm probably about as far from racist as you can get.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                                                    Out of the league and the FA Cup, soon to get a spanking in the league cup. And its only January 7th. Why did I give up drinking for January?

#WengerOut
                                                                                    Shocking team selection, and an even more shocking bench selection. 9 changes made from the last game, and one of those to keep their place is Rob Holding. That guy is so bad, and Mertesacker literally got turned inside out for the whole game. The middle 4 were actually ok, but Iwobi, Welbeck and especially Walcott, were dreadful.

No way Arsenal should be fielding such a weak team away to Forest, with nobody on the bench that is capable of changing the game. Such a depressing defeat in a season that already offers so little. Roll up Chelsea to stuff us on Wednesday too.

Comment

I'm never sure how I come across on forums like this but the fact you think I'd do that in the street is a little.unsettling. I'm probably about as far from racist as you can get.
                                                                                      It was a hypothetical. I'm pretty sure he doesn't think you're liable to do that. I doubt he thinks even Jack is liable to do that.

Comment

It's healthy to engage though, how else can we begin to understand the thinking behind views we find abhorrent?

The current culture of muting is harmful to our cultural growth in my humble opinion.
                                                                                        There's a difference between muting and not listening. Jack used the expression "the face of evil" in a recent post about Dundalk. Expressions like that are vague enough to seem innocuous, if somewhat hyperbolic, but it was rightly picked up on here that it attempts to draw a connection between racial identity and terrorism. In fact Jack explicitly said as much shortly thereafter when he commented that it was not possible to rule out terrorism as a motive until they had established the nationality of the perpetrator. That viewpoint is inherently abhorrent. Jack is allowed to maintain that view if he wishes, and he can pivot to a more reasonable sounding position on law and order and border controls also, but the fundamental point - that the "others" are evil and we have to protect ourselves from them - is the same point made by lots of other people before. We already understand them. We don't need this viewpoint to help our cultural growth.

We don't need to mute these viewpoints either. Just continually point out, without recourse to vitriol or anger, that they have no place in a modern civilised society.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                          In fact Jack explicitly said as much shortly thereafter when he commented that it was not possible to rule out terrorism as a motive until they had established the nationality of the perpetrator. That viewpoint is inherently abhorrent.
                                                                                          I think you need to read the posts again.

Comment

I think you need to read the posts again.
                                                                                            It was said in Court today they aren’t sure of his nationality. How can they rule out terrorism if they don’t even know where he is from.
                                                                                            Oh, I've read them.

Comment

Oh, I've read them.
                                                                                              And...

Where someone is from is a fundamental of any case. So without that basic information how can they go beyond into ruling in or out anything. How can you rule out terrorism without having other basic facts in 24 hours from the event. Why such a rush??

Knowing where someone is from will allow them source his previous criminal records, family ties, associations, background facts all essential to establishing If someone is a terrorist or not. Date of birth would be important to again in establishing these facts as often these records will be associated with a date of birth and of course if they can put him on trial as an adult.
                                                                                              I still think it’s fair to say without the basics facts it shouldn’t be possible to rule out anything straight away and I don’t see the particular rush to do so unless there was other forces at play.

Comment

And...

I still think it’s fair to say without the basics facts it shouldn’t be possible to rule out anything straight away and I don’t see the particular rush to do so unless there was other forces at play.
                                                                                                Yeah I saw that pivot too. Except it makes no sense when you scratch at it even a little. As Denny pointed out here:

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                He was swinging a fence post at people. You'd have to have a very strong prior view to think it was ever terrorism.
                                                                                                So let's scratch at your post a little. First, the Gardai can eliminate all sorts of possibilities straight away, because investigation of crime is sort of their thing. They had the suspect in custody and had a chance to interview him. They had plenty of information at that point already. More than you or I certainly.

Now, let's get into the more interesting part of your post. What, precisely do you mean by "other forces"?

Comment

Yeah I saw that pivot too. Except it makes no sense when you scratch at it even a little. As Denny pointed out here:

So let's scratch at your post a little. First, the Gardai can eliminate all sorts of possibilities straight away, because investigation of crime is sort of their thing. They had the suspect in custody and had a chance to interview him. They had plenty of information at that point already. More than you or I certainly.

Now, let's get into the more interesting part of your post. What, precisely do you mean by "other forces"?
                                                                                                  Well his knife was used up already in the back of an innocent man. No one is arguing he is good at the whole terrorism thing just I don’t see how it could be ruled out so quickly without any fundamental facts. Richard Reid the shoe bomber wasn’t very good at it either.

Other forces - who knows? Some people might say things have been covered up in these cases before I’ve heard the mass sexual assaults in Cologne been mentioned.

Comment

...

Comment

Well his knife was used up already in the back of an innocent man. No one is arguing he is good at the whole terrorism thing just I don’t see how it could be ruled out so quickly without any fundamental facts. Richard Reid the shoe bomber wasn’t very good at it either.

Other forces - who knows? Some people might say things have been covered up in these cases before I’ve heard the mass sexual assaults in Cologne been mentioned.
                                                                                                      I didn't ask about what some people might say. I asked about what you actually said. You said other forces might be at play. What forces and for what purpose?

Comment

Just on a Libyan/Muslim family living near me. Kids are gas at times. Their boy who is 7 said that he didn't want to be a Muslim any more and wanted to be a Christian. Now it is nothing to do with Christmas or anything being missed out on as they do the whole thing, tree, presents, Christmas dinner etc. this was his reason.

"I want to eat ham sandwiches"

I hear you little man, I hear you

Comment

I didn't ask about what some people might say. I asked about what you actually said. You said other forces might be at play. What forces and for what purpose?
                                                                                                          Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                            Just on a Libyan/Muslim family living near me. Kids are gas at times. Their boy who is 7 said that he didn't want to be a Muslim any more and wanted to be a Christian. Now it is nothing to do with Christmas or anything being missed out on as they do the whole thing, tree, presents, Christmas dinner etc. this was his reason.

Was grabbing breakfast in the hotel this morning. Buffet. I'm behind a man and his young lad probably 8/9, his dad asking what he wants. No fried egg for me please dad, I'll have a couple of sausages, a rasher but just one now, lots of beans. Grand says the father and throws it all up, just about to walk away and the young lad goes oh don't forget scrambled egg dad, because i love the scrambled egg so I do. I couldn't help but smile and the father was trying to keep.his laughter in too.

Comment

Who knows?
                                                                                                              So it's not ok for the Gardai to rule out terrorism once they were satisfied that he wasn't a terrorist but it is ok for you to blithely assume some form of conspiracy to not call it terrorism based on nothing whatsoever?

Good talk.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post

This post offers little for Vegans.

Arsenal will get top 4. Fergie already told his pal that the FA cup is meh.

Comment

So it's not ok for the Gardai to rule out terrorism once they were satisfied that he wasn't a terrorist but it is ok for you to blithely assume some form of conspiracy to not call it terrorism based on nothing whatsoever?

Good talk.
                                                                                                                  It's ok , sure tis only ye lot. Yer a great ol soul but a touch dramatic at times .

Comment

It's like watching Muhammad Ali take on a seven stone weakling.

In other news; one day in and I'm unsure as to whether I approve of skiing per se but the general ambience is delightful. Although I did get caught to translate 18 people's dinner orders with my 1992 LC German. Most seemed content enough once they forced the schnapps down.
                                                                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Sure you are you Kerry fucker

Comment

based on nothing whatsoever.
                                                                                                                        Where someone is from is a fundamental of any case. So without that basic information how can they go beyond into ruling in or out anything. How can you rule out terrorism without having other basic facts in 24 hours from the event. Why such a rush??

Knowing where someone is from will allow them source his previous criminal records, family ties, associations, background facts all essential to establishing If someone is a terrorist or not. Date of birth would be important to again in establishing these facts as often these records will be associated with a date of birth and of course if they can put him on trial as an adult.

Comment

The part of my post you quoted referred to the fact that you know absolutely nothing about these "other forces" you refer to. You literally stated, "who knows?". I wasn't talking about the Gardai and what they knew at all.

You make rather unusual assumption that the Gardai were in a rush. Since your post is an almost verbatim rehash of a previous one you've clearly had time to think about it. You pose a seemingly hypothetical question - "why the rush?". You subsequently give a theory on why it was "rushed" in your opinion -

But you have then gone on to admit that you haven't a single solitary idea what these "other forces" might be. Just that "they" might exist. Maybe. Somewhere. Who knows?

So all you have given us is ungrounded suspicion about "other forces", half-baked assumptions that the Gardai were in some sort of "rush" and dog whistle calls to the "Face of evil".

Anything else?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X