Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
    Everyone over on boards thinks it was a great interview.
    As I said, LOL stupid people
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
      Hoping to break 28:00 tomorrow morning m8, couple of near misses the last few weeks. Will need your positive vibes at 9.30 am.
      Auld lad at work was a brilliant runner in his day. Would have ran 14 for 5 k. His brothers were better, Olympians. He is 70 odd and still running.

If I said I ran 28 he'd say "at what stage in the race did your shoe fall off" great bloke though well able to take the slagging too

Gl btw

Comment

Off to pool che on the red eye. Pint 6am to calm the nerves

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
          That’s your opinion which you made clear with your expletive ridden post.
          I love the word cunt, so I do. 'Tis a great word altogether.

So tell me, why is it especially interesting on a day that 200 innocent people were murdered?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

So tell me, why is it especially interesting on a day that 200 innocent people were murdered?
            You are to emotive to have a rational discussion with.

Comment

You are to emotive to have a rational discussion with.
              LOL, I'm not emotive at all, completely chilled out actually but keep peddling excuses so you don't have to try back up/justify your nonsense.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Fantastic word.

Bit of an issue given my current country of residence.
                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Is the current opinion here that Ibrahim Halawi is just an unfortunate innocent young man?

I'm not saying he is in ISIS or anything else so SP remove the sand from your vagina for a minute, but I thought on the Late Late he came across as a liar that was hiding the truth.

"I was just going to the cinema Ryan, i had no political views"....

Cut to video of him aggressively rabble rousing a square filled with 20,000 people. Fuck off.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                        Everything about the way he communicates makes him seem like a nice guy. Why bother thinking about it any more than that. Is the suspicion you have that maybe he is really undercover isis pretending to be a nice guy?
                        The peoples front of Isis , or the Isis people's front . Imo he communicates like a liar but hey one man's meat. Anyway he has a Tallaght accent = Up to no good.

Comment

Black Friday Haul = 2 Carrot cakes .

Comment

Where did I say I suspected that he was in ISIS?

He tells blatant lies about what he was up to on his trip to Egypt. Blatant ones. Does this make him the nice guy you proclaim him to be? He's a spoofer.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                              Is the current opinion here that Ibrahim Halawi is just an unfortunate innocent young man?

I'm not saying he is in ISIS or anything else so SP remove the sand from your vagina for a minute, but I thought on the Late Late he came across as a liar that was hiding the truth.

"I was just going to the cinema Ryan, i had no political views"....

Cut to video of him aggressively rabble rousing a square filled with 20,000 people. Fuck off.
                              Listen to him, listen to what he says happened.

He was a seventeen year old kid, he grew up the son of an Imam and visited family in Cairo regularly. He happened to be there when the democratically elected government government his father had dreamed of all his life, was overthrown by a military coup representing the defeat of that dream. He was picked up and thrown in jail by that junta which Europe and most of the democratic world broadly support is still in power.

Things aren't necessarily as simple as the moronic tabloid soundbites Prenderville was spouting.

FWIW as someone who has spent many weeks in Cairo over the last decade, who was there when the revolution started, was there when Morsi was in power and again a couple of times while Ibraham was in Jail, I utterly abhorred the Morsi Government and was relieved for everyone I know there when the Army took over. I completely supported the campaign to get Ibraham home regardless of how much I dislike the cause he was supporting.

Comment

Queens of the stone age were in great form.tonight. Cracking gig. Few ipbers spotted out and.about

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                  Surprised this got zero thanks. Story here http://www.ladbible.com/news/news-au...=1511345404548
                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                    Listen to him, listen to what he says happened.

He was a seventeen year old kid, he grew up the son of an Imam and visited family in Cairo regularly. He happened to be there when the democratically elected government government his father had dreamed of all his life, was overthrown by a military coup representing the defeat of that dream. He was picked up and thrown in jail by that junta which Europe and most of the democratic world broadly support is still in power.

Things aren't necessarily as simple as the moronic tabloid soundbites Prenderville was spouting.

FWIW as someone who has spent many weeks in Cairo over the last decade, who was there when the revolution started, was there when Morsi was in power and again a couple of times while Ibraham was in Jail, I utterly abhorred the Morsi Government and was relieved for everyone I know there when the Army took over. I completely supported the campaign to get Ibraham home regardless of how much I dislike the cause he was supporting.
                                    He said he had never been to Egypt before that trip and then minutes later spoke about all his friends there that he was sticking up for. Then he said he was just out at the cinema with friends the night he was filmed on stage rabble rousing 20k people. So a lot of your point is just factually incorrect.

By the way I didn't hear the interview being discussed I'm referencing lls interview.

Comment

Can't figure out whether this is real or a parody

Not sure about this either

Loyalists demand the removal of Co Derry Christmas tree

William Lennox said there are “Muslims in the town and a lot of non Christians” who may be offended by the festive tree.

In a letter to the council Mr Lennox, who was previously linked to the Protestant Coalition, claimed that the tree had not undergone an equality impact assessment (EQIA) and demanded its removal.
                                      Last edited by Strewelpeter; 25-11-17, 00:00.

Comment

By the way I didn't hear the interview being discussed I'm referencing lls interview.
                                        Well obviously a chat with Ryan Turbidy on an entertainment show a few days after his release is all the evidence you need. If you are really interested in his story I'd advise skipping the prenderville interview and maybe reading this instead
                                        Weekend Read: Ibrahim Halawa travelled with his sisters to Egypt, where he was caught up in political protests and arrested. Efforts to get him released have failed, and two years on his family blame the Irish State for his continued imprisonment. Are they right?

Comment

Well obviously a chat with Ryan Turbidy on an entertainment show a few days after his release is all the evidence you need. If you are really interested in his story I'd advise skipping the prenderville interview and maybe reading this instead
                                          https://www.irishtimes.com/news/educ...tory-1.2310182
                                          You avoided the fact I pointed out all of your lies and incorrect facts but thanks for the link I need some more info and maybe I am wrong. However you can't be a reasonable person and not find the tubridy interview very odd.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                              Queens of the stone age were in great form.tonight. Cracking gig. Few ipbers spotted out and.about
                                              Great gig! Mutha fucking rock

Comment

You avoided the fact I pointed out all of your lies and incorrect facts but thanks for the link I need some more info and maybe I am wrong. However you can't be a reasonable person and not find the tubridy interview very odd.
                                                What the actual fuck?
                                                What lies did I tell? Wouldya cop on ffs!
                                                I don't watch Ryan tuirgidy I think you are confusing entertainment with interrogation.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                  Hoping to break 28:00 tomorrow morning m8, couple of near misses the last few weeks. Will need your positive vibes at 9.30 am.
                                                  Hope you have a stroke m8
                                                  Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                  Off to pool che on the red eye. Pint 6am to calm the nerves
                                                  Hope you have a stroke when we win 4-2 m8

Comment

What the actual fuck?
                                                    I don't watch Ryan tuirgidy I think you are confusing entertainment with interrogation.
                                                    You're going to have a stroke.

Comment

He said he had never been to Egypt before that trip and then minutes later spoke about all his friends there that he was sticking up for. Then he said he was just out at the cinema with friends the night he was filmed on stage rabble rousing 20k people. So a lot of your point is just factually incorrect.

You're going to give yourself a stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                        "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (mikeb, 2017)
                                                        Hope you're crippled by your stroke.

Comment

Wine is open and breathing - Needs another 30 minutes or so before I get stuck into it

Now you're just copping out. You said it was a brilliant interview by Prendeville. It wasn't a brilliant interview. It was a shit throwing episode in the hope that some of the scandalous comments would make a mark and cause some reputational damage to the guy. Brilliant interviewers don't conduct themselves like that.

Why is this interview especially interesting in the light of almost 200 innocent people being murdered?
                                                          You've had a stroke.

Comment

Last but not least, I'm having a stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                              Do you prefer left hand over right or right over left mate? Either way, enjoy!

Comment

Outstanding stuff from Steve Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                  Enjoy your (and Mick's) input here btw. Nothing worse than an echo chamber.
                                                                  In my defence I have stopped giving my opinion. Don’t know what happened in the interview or care. Mr Halawa does look very well for a man who was on and off hunger strike for four years. Modern life is going that you are afraid to fart. Recently at a dinner party with my partner her life long friend a gay dude was remarking how one of her exes was against a gay couple adopting. I was full of drunk but didn’t say a peep. I wanted to say preferably a child be brought up in a loving home with a mother and father but I’d come across as intolerant homophobic etc. Halawa s dad is the top man in the Muslim brotherhood a proper bunch of cunts. He sent the son to protest simple ok he was a young lad 17 but seriously believing he was on holiday and just ended up there. The Irish media’s fawning over him is daft. His claiming he didn’t know about the organization his father is the chief of is a joke.

Comment

Ruh oh England.

Comment

Just been binge watching Daredevil. Got to say, this has been my favourite ones yet, just on the season finale for Season 2. I liked Jessica Jones and Luke Cage but this series got me from the start.

Helps that Charlie Cox is rather handsome!

Watching till late at night is giving me mental dreams though

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                                        Want to do a last longest on that, winner brings the loser and his dog for a walk up Bray head in their wheelchair.

If you can't handle Bray Wickla has some other fine cliffs and crevices to offer

Comment

What the actual fuck?
                                                                          You said he has been to see family many time as if the chap is your best mate. He claims he had never been before and that he was only going so that his Dad would let him go to Ibiza after!

What I don't like is all his lies and trying to say he was just walking down the street minding his own business.
                                                                          He was obviously a naive 17 yr old and didn't deserve to be locked up for 4 years for protesting but Egypt doesn't have the same western laws as us and if you are there leading a protest of 20,000 people against the people in power you might find some trouble.

I just don't like the fawning over him as some sort of great young man. He was a trouble maker in a country that was unstable at the time and was punished. He should have just kept his head down and played by the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                            In my defence I have stopped giving my opinion.
                                                                            ... Modern life is going that you are afraid to fart. .
                                                                            It's nice that you can come here to let off the odd smelly one... You might need to change your jocks after that one.

Recently at a dinner party with my partner her life long friend a gay dude was remarking how one of her exes was against a gay couple adopting. I was full of drunk but didn’t say a peep. I wanted to say preferably a child be brought up in a loving home with a mother and father but I’d come across as intolerant homophobic etc.
                                                                            That's an opinion I'll defend to the death your right to hold and express.
                                                                            When you do express it you'll have to explain how it's possible to hold an opinion that is definitely intolerant, appears to have all the characteristics of a homophobic opinion and most of all is just plain wrong.
                                                                            It's not much of an opinion though if you are afraid to express it in front of the people whose lives it is about.
                                                                            Ah forgot about the full of drunk bit... Keeping it to yourself was the wise and tolerant option :-)
                                                                            Last edited by Strewelpeter; 25-11-17, 09:14.

Comment

You said he has been to see family many time as if the chap is your best mate. He claims he had never been before and that he was only going so that his Dad would let him go to Ibiza after!
                                                                              Don't know him at all, I do know people who know the family. I don't know how or care how many times he's been to Egypt or what he said on an entertainment show a couple of days after his release. I know the family have visited Cairo regularly over the years, I don't get the relevance of whether he was with them or not.

Who is fawning over him? I'm not, I just hope the lad can get on with his life and that the whole experience works to increase tolerance and understanding of the Muslim community in Ireland. Unfortunately listening to nasty drivel like Penderville's yesterday it seems there are those who are determined to use his story as a framework for spouting prejudice and hateful lies instead of just listening.

I agree 17 year olds shouldn't be stupid, that's a great plan.

Comment

Want to do a last longest on that, winner brings the loser and his dog for a walk up Bray head in their wheelchair.

If you can't handle Bray Wickla has some other fine cliffs and crevices to offer
                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                  Outstanding stuff from Steve Smith
                                                                                  Seems like a truly epic test so far. Time for Root to step up on Day 4. If England can get 250+ of a lead, we're looking at a sleepless night tomorrow.
                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

In the RedFm interview himself and his sister contradict themselves on the reasons for been in Egypt a few times, have a listen and it’s very clear.

@SP if your using the Irish Times as your main information source on an issues please be aware of their left leaning bias which will coat their articles.

Comment

In my defence I have stopped giving my opinion. Don’t know what happened in the interview or care. Mr Halawa does look very well for a man who was on and off hunger strike for four years. Modern life is going that you are afraid to fart. Recently at a dinner party with my partner her life long friend a gay dude was remarking how one of her exes was against a gay couple adopting. I was full of drunk but didn’t say a peep. I wanted to say preferably a child be brought up in a loving home with a mother and father but I’d come across as intolerant homophobic etc. Halawa s dad is the top man in the Muslim brotherhood a proper bunch of cunts. He sent the son to protest simple ok he was a young lad 17 but seriously believing he was on holiday and just ended up there. The Irish media’s fawning over him is daft. His claiming he didn’t know about the organization his father is the chief of is a joke.
                                                                                      Agree strongly on this point.

Really intelligent people are able to discuss topics they disagree with without getting emotional, aggressive and holding a grudge. I always regarded this forum as a place attracting very smart switched on people, I was very heartened by the comments about dissenting voices been a good thing.

Comment

...

Comment

Really intelligent people are able to discuss topics they disagree with without getting emotional, aggressive and holding a grudge.
                                                                                          I don't necessarily think being "really intelligent" is a requirement in order to convey a logical point.

In my opinion the reasons why people tend to become emotional and aggressive relates more to an unwillingness to be objective and lack of knowledge of both sides of a discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                            I don't necessarily think being "really intelligent" is a requirement in order to convey a logical point.

In my opinion the reasons why people tend to become emotional and aggressive relates more to an unwillingness to be objective and lack of knowledge of both sides of a discussion.
                                                                                            The reason I say really intelligent because a lot of people consider themselves intelligent these days because maybe the learned off enough stuff to get 450 points in their leaving cert and a 2:1 in their degree and read a few articles online everyday. Critical thinking is not a skill most “intelligent” people have. I see it as only the “really intelligent” have it.

Comment

What would you consider a good source of information? Like where would you read for balance
                                                                                              Responding on good faith that you will do likewise!

Usual sources I read

Guardian - extreme left on all issues - reason: see what that political spectrum is thinking and to be fair they do some good investigatative journalism on things that fit their agenda.

Irish Times - not bad on factual reporting of economy, politics but just right of the guardian on social issues.

Independent News and Media sources - centre right on most issues, more tabloid and sensationalist focus.

The Telegraph - centre right without the sensationalism

The Daily Mail - extreme right - reason: see what that political spectrum is thinking and to be fair they do highlight things other outlets don’t or cover up.

All other: most of the other outlets usually fall into the left leaning bias.

Once you know the bias of the source distill the facts and make up your own mind. Anyone reading just one source or bias has half the story.

Comment

It's healthy to hold grudges. You get more out of life when you have a Muppet List and use it well.
                                                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

...

Comment

Someone who got 450 points in the Leaving, a 2:1 degree, and reads a few articles a day probably is intelligent. It's a good guide anyway. And they probably do think more critical than someone who didn't/doesn't do those things.

People though choose what they want to critically evaluate based on what's important to them. For everything else they use simple rules of thumb as it's not important to them and their lives to consider those things in anymore detail. E.g. that someone who seems nice probably is nice, is a good enough rule for most people unless they're going to be directly affected by that person and need to do a deep-dive into their true personality.
                                                                                                    I didn’t say they weren’t intelligent. I was defining the difference between intelligent and really intelligent.

Comment

...

Comment

Normally read Indo in morning, briefly, as it's free. Scan of Guardian. Don't read much news though as find it incredibly boring and largely pointless. Mainly just google-read around interesting ideas that emerge on twitter or Reddit front page. Generally not much about what's happening today, but lap up stories that talk about trends in the future especially if the ideas are optimistic.
                                                                                                        I'm along the same lines IT now that I've discovered it's free for me and I do think a better understanding of what goes on in Ireland is helpful.
                                                                                                        The Economist but cancelled the sub as it was just the business and finance area.
                                                                                                        I obviously spend time on Reuters or Bloomberg as I have to but in general I figure if it's important enough I'll hear about it anyway and if I think it's interesting I'll read about it then.

Comment

Thanks again to whoever posted the Irish Times paywall hack very handy.
                                                                                                          Last edited by jack90210; 25-11-17, 11:30.

Comment

Al Jazeera seems to be the most credible information source/ news outlet imo. The documentary section on website is amazing too.
                                                                                                            Profit before people.

Comment

Anyone playing the Sporting tonight? Back in Ireland for a few days and going to take a spin in for old times sake

Comment

Missed this. Details please.

Comment

Speak your truth m8. Biting your tongue all the time will fill you with resentment.
                                                                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I take him at face value that he went to Egypt on holiday & to visit family. He claims that two of his good friends were killed over there by the military and that is what spurred him onto stage, that it was an open forum where anybody could get up and speak. If it is true that his friends were killed, I think it is completely likely and highly probable that a 17 year old could get swept up in the whole emotion of what was going on without really knowing exactly what was going on. Since his release, he has said all the right things. He has categorically stated that he does not support the MB, that he has no issues with people being gay, that his knowledge of Sharia law is very little, that he isn't an islamist, that he is a follower of Islam but he isn't overly religious. That the Koran teaches him to pray and treat all people equally, that he doesn't support any interpretation of the Koran that can be misconstrued that it is OK to be violent to anybody, etc.

Based on everything he has said, I don't see why I shouldn't take him at his word. I have no proof to suggest otherwise. Now, maybe I am wrong. Maybe this is a classic case of life imitating art. Maybe Ibrahim is our very own Nicholas Brody and Jack is Carrie Mathison (This would be awful by the way, mainly because I've had a hard on for Claire Danes since My So Called Life but that's a whole other topic) Maybe it's all a plot, a massive ruse and someday he'll expose his true colours and do something absolutely awful in the future either on foreign soil or in Ireland but everything he has said / done seems to suggest that he is a very likeable guy and a bit of an ordinary joe soap who inadvertently got caught up in a right mess and paid heavily for it with four years of his life gone that he will never get back. You can even argue that if he did inadvertently get caught up in it that that is the price of stupidity.

He said he had never been to Egypt before that trip and then minutes later spoke about all his friends there that he was sticking up for.
                                                                                                                    I am open to correction here as the LL interview was a few weeks ago and I don't remember it word for word but I don't think he said he was never in Egypt before. I thought he said that his Dad wanted him to go as he hadn't been there in a while. There has been a lot documented and the family have since stated several times, that they went to Egypt every year since he was born with the exception of 2011 and 2012 due to the Arab Spring hitting Egypt at this time. I don't think there is any way to prove how many times he has been in Egypt so I guess so it's open to interpretation.

In the RedFm interview himself and his sister contradict themselves on the reasons for been in Egypt a few times, have a listen and it’s very clear.
                                                                                                                    This is not true, I listened to the interview very carefully and they said they went there on holiday. At no point did they contradict this. If you think otherwise, lets have a proper debate that you crave so much and quote the exact part of where they do this.

Also, at some point, I'd really love you to get around to explaining why this interview is especially interesting in the light of almost 200 innocent people being murdered?

Comment

He said he had never been before.

Anyway each to there own. I think we all agree it's great that he is out. I just don't think of him as some poor unfortunate bystander.

Comment

Might be in for drunk cash about 11/12 Tony

Comment

...
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 25-11-17, 13:42.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X