Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    Yeah, slightly more since it's 28 months, but less than what he's looking for.

R x (1 + 0.04 x t/m)

or, if you're lazy:

https://www.rtb.ie/rent-pressure-zones/rpz-calculator
    For you m is 24 (not 12) due to the 2 year rent freeze that was active at the time, in case that isn't taken into account!

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
      I see golf is introducing a shot clock and having an event called the shot clock masters next year where every shot is on the clock. I wonder how that'll work in the case of a spectator using a camera flash or shouting during a shot? At what point will the clock start? As soon as you have club in hand? When you reach the ball? I bet there is huge opportunity for angle shooting here.
      Angle shooting, very good very good .

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
        Angle shooting, very good very good .
        Ha, well played Willie (the pun, not a reference to a golf shot).

Comment

Work have announced a diversity and inclusion program, including implicit bias training across the organisation. Strongly tempted to send them a list of papers showing the biggest measureable effect of such programs is to create a backlash against them.
          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

This club has moulded me into the player and person I am today and I will forever be grateful for that. It has always been my dream to play for my home club, wearing the red jersey while representing my family, friends and local community, but I have now decided those things can fuck off because money.
            Professional sport really is grim. Sad to see GAA slipping ever more quickly into the abyss. Might be for the best if the intercounty stuff goes pay-for-play so it can go the way of provincial rugby with dwindling crowds and general apathy while normal people go back to the club game that actually has a bit of soul to it.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
              Work have announced a diversity and inclusion program, including implicit bias training across the organisation. Strongly tempted to send them a list of papers showing the biggest measureable effect of such programs is to create a backlash against them.
              Why? are they blick?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                Professional sport really is grim. Sad to see GAA slipping ever more quickly into the abyss. Might be for the best if the intercounty stuff goes pay-for-play so it can go the way of provincial rugby with dwindling crowds and general apathy while normal people go back to the club game that actually has a bit of soul to it.
                Jaysus a few Years without an all Ireland and the despair.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                  Do you have a blender? It's piss easy if you do. Soak cashews for half an hour to an hour. Make stock and blend them together - mine is just bouillion. That's the base for both sauces and you simply add what you want to each one, be it (wine/tomatoes or truffle oil) to add the flavour to it. Blend them in. takes a minute to make the sauce if one can stomach waiting for the cashews. I usually cook the rest of the food and my cashews are ready to go, make the sauce and add it to the cooked food. Foor the above all I did was either grill baby corns/asparagus or fry mushrooms in wine/garlic. Pretty easy to make good pasta.
                  Sounds class will definitely make it again. Out of scope for Monday efforts. Going with seabass anchovie spaghetti. One pan. No blender
                  airport, lol

Comment

Who said that Zkeane? Think you are wrong about normal people going back to lower level club rugby. If that’s what you are talking about. Senior clubs in Dublin especially often have huge problems fielding teams 20 years ago they would have had 7 8 or 9 teams . Less senior players are playing for fun.

Comment

Zebo on the Ferry

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                        Zebo on the Ferry
                        Is it confirmed ? Short career Munster unable to match the loots offered in France

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                          Who said that Zkeane? Think you are wrong about normal people going back to lower level club rugby. If that’s what you are talking about. Senior clubs in Dublin especially often have huge problems fielding teams 20 years ago they would have had 7 8 or 9 teams . Less senior players are playing for fun.
                          I had the impression from talking to a few people I know who would be involved with Shannon down here that the club scene was going well but I wouldn't doubt you.

It's a pretty widespread phenomenon now in GAA where you have people who would be involved all their lives essentially opting out of the inter county scene which they feel totally disconnected from. It's sad in a way but the clubs are getting a boost from it in terms of being the focus and the centre of the community again. My crowd maintain a big interest in inter county because of where we're from but more so because we have friends and family involved, but the club is a different level of dedication/obsession altogether.

Increasingly there seem to be two streams of people interested in GAA - club people and inter county fans. Naturally those who are only interested in inter county don't participate and are essentially just consumers. I don't know if there's any way to satisfy the appetites of the customers and the ideals of the volunteers/members at the same time and I suspect I know which of the groups will be catered to first and foremost (to the association's detriment IMO).

It seems to be a big problem with regard to funding and investment here that we are always focused at the elite end of sports rather than the local, grass roots end in general and of course mass participation in particular.

I have no real beef with Zebo going abroad but I do think it's a sad thing that all the things he mentioned (i.e. 'family, friends and local community') are cast aside for more money and it's not only ok, but something people think a guy would be stupid not to do.

Hard to know how people can maintain that opinion yet still feel any sense of connection to 'their' teams.
                          Last edited by Keane; 23-10-17, 17:07.

Comment

Absolutely, can't blame him for one second.

Confirmed by Munster that he's not signing a new contract with them, no talk about where he's off to, which almost certainly means France (they're not allowed sign players til April though usually do pre contract stuff I think).

Racing apparently - https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rug...ason-1.3266072
                            Last edited by Emmet; 23-10-17, 17:09.

Comment

I wouldn't have an issue with a rugby player leaving his club for a relatively substantial increase in wages.

The life span of a professional rugby player especially a winger is relatively short. Contracts also tend to be shorter than other professional sports. The wages have increased and there is opportunities in retirement but it's not soccer, NFL, NBA etc. They make good money at the top level like a Zebo but how long does he have left to make 1m a year? 4 years?

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

bit surreal sitting in a car in City West SC with the missus in the chemist and wacthing a video of about 20 cops chasing and catching a guy with a machine gun, in CiTY WEST SC. thankfully it was a couple of hours earlier but still, it's becoming like the ok coral over there.

In other news, what odds Moyes returning to the toffees, I miss his sour ol puss

Comment

We've one of those in work. They (certainly purport) to take it seriously and win awards for the program, but our workforce is probably >95% white Irish people, so I dunno

Comment

We had one of those earlier in the year, got to see a 30 min presentation etc.

They used the example of the the boy and father in a car crash...someone dies, maybe the father, the kid is presented to the surgeon who says i cant operate because he is my son...we assume the surgeon is a man etc.

Someone asked him where the diversity was in assuming he didn't have 2 fathers...
                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

bit surreal sitting in a car in City West SC with the missus in the chemist and wacthing a video of about 20 cops chasing and catching a guy with a machine gun, in CiTY WEST SC. thankfully it was a couple of hours earlier but still, it's becoming like the ok coral over there.

In other news, what odds Moyes returning to the toffees, I miss his sour ol puss
                                        About 6 cop cars with armed cops in our work car park 9am this morning looking for him. Everyone staring out the window. Great excitement but scary if involved in it.

Comment

Saw a Rolls Royce Phantom hearse today. If I'm ever in one, I'd prefer to be alive.

Comment

Five in Mia's class running for student council tomorrow (6th class)

Came home to this speech, she quite cocky thinking she will get it , hope she does but obv told her dont be disappointed if she doesnt. Its a class vote

#vote mia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pyUhUjRUqg
                                            Her sky-ness
                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Comment

I have no real beef with Zebo going abroad but I do think it's a sad thing that all the things he mentioned (i.e. 'family, friends and local community') are cast aside for more money and it's not only ok, but something people think a guy would be stupid not to do.
                                                Surely of those three he's only casting the 'local community' aside. I'm guessing his family will travel with him, and his friends should hopefully remain his friends regardless of him doing a few years work in France.

Be quite interesting to see which side of the 'you won't be picked for Ireland if you move abroad unless we make an exception' rule he falls on though.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                    Surely of those three he's only casting the 'local community' aside. I'm guessing his family will travel with him, and his friends should hopefully remain his friends regardless of him doing a few years work in France.

Be quite interesting to see which side of the 'you won't be picked for Ireland if you move abroad unless we make an exception' rule he falls on though.
                                                    The same one as everyone else who's done it.

Carbery is a superior player anyway.
                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                        Thats very good satnav (and indeed Mia)! Nice presentation style! Obvious thing is to ditch the notes when she's presenting, but thats a given I presume. I'd do a simple rule of three on it. Stand up and go: I'm going to do three big things for you - bam, bam, bam. And then work her current ideas around the plan of three. No-one can remember more than three things anyway.
                                                        shes asleep screen shotted your thoughts and sent them to her , she can have a look in morn ty
                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

JS10 says Bonjour.
                                                          But yeah, you're right, Zebo will likely be banished with the others.

Comment

How do French clubs have more money than Irish clubs? Thought Munster was huge.
                                                            Lots of local playboy businessmen doing it for the kudos.

Comment

How do French clubs have more money than Irish clubs? Thought Munster was huge.
                                                              A rugby club is the toy du jour for billionaires in France.

So while Leinster or Munster might have more fans, the French clubs have more money that they can use to attract the best players. Ironically, the effect of this is to make the French national team shite!

Comment

JS10 says Bonjour.
                                                                But yeah, you're right, Zebo will likely be banished with the others.
                                                                Maybe he could take Earls with him.

Comment

Kinda love the Garda policy of sitting on top of a dangerous suspect. It doesn't look very elegant, but in most other countries they'd just shoot him.
                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                    Kinda love the Garda policy of sitting on top of a dangerous suspect. It doesn't look very elegant, but in most other countries they'd just shoot him.
                                                                    Lol true but they couldn't engage in gunfire in that situation.

Ok Mr villain , drop the ol gun there , I'll count to 3 now. 1 , 2, 3...right lads get the arses ready and we'll sit on the fucker till his face is magenta.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

Came home to this speech, she quite cocky thinking she will get it , hope she does but obv told her dont be disappointed if she doesnt. Its a class vote

#vote mia

That kids a star . Must be a talented daddy

Comment

There's a screen shot of a WhatsApp message doing the rounds advising Finn Harps v's Drogheda was rigged and Drogheda would win.

Finn Harps score in the 1st minute, Drogheda score 3 and then Finn Harps get a consolation goal in the 90th minute.

As far as I know Drogheda were 16/5 to win

I only get to see to message going around after the final whistle goes.

Probably rife in the League of Ireland. Had I seen it earlier, it would have paid for Copenhagen [emoji848]

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                          Speaking of conspiracies the Las Vegas aftermath has def been a bit shady (and I’m not someone who buys into any of the usual crisis actor shit to make myself feel smart ,I only go with locks like Ted Heath being a nonce)

How so?
                                                                          "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                                                          "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Gibney View Post
                                                                            How so?
                                                                            Well it's been weeks now and they haven't been able to find any links to ISIS. They haven't even been able to prove it was a muslim. Very odd that it would take this long to uncover something.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                              Well it's been weeks now and they haven't been able to find any links to ISIS. They haven't even been able to prove it was a muslim. Very odd that it would take this long to uncover something.
                                                                              I don't think there was ever any serious suggestion rather than your standard crazy?

Comment

One for Willie, was expecting to see him pop up in the video...

Comment

It's funny you posted this . Like you were reading my mind this morning. Today's rant.

Jeep Creeps with death wishes on the M50 .Overtaking at 140k from slip to slow to fast lane whilst on the phone into a two car gap left by people who merely wish to live a bit longer has to be a contender for the Darwin Awards. He nearly lost control of his dickwagon .Sometimes I think I’m on the Trueman show as I’m sure this type of thing is done for my entertainment somehow.

Well done everybody yiz are great.(if that’s your real name)

Comment

I don't think there was ever any serious suggestion rather than your standard crazy?
                                                                                    Logic and common sense has no place in conspiracy theories

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                      Hostage situation in a bowling alley in nuneaton England.usual religion of peace types in online comments but I’m calling it as some sad sack Nigel having a meltdown,nun Eaton a bit low rent for Isis.
                                                                                      Wonder if ted cruz’s Dad will show up in JFK files?
                                                                                      Speaking of conspiracies the Las Vegas aftermath has def been a bit shady (and I’m not someone who buys into any of the usual crisis actor shit to make myself feel smart ,I only go with locks like Ted Heath being a nonce)
                                                                                      Tell us more?
                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Sure at fullback but O'Halloran should be getting the full back slot with Carberry actually benchwarming and properly understudying for Sexton especially now that Jackson is gone we have Keatley as our back up 10 and I am still not too sure if he will get it done at international level - probably wont loose you a big game but also wont win you one.

With so many back 3 players set to finish up - Bowe, Trimble, Kearney and Gilroy are probably at the stage where they shouldn't be going to training camps anymore as there is no chance they are starting the next world cup.

At least we still have Earls......

Comment

@GOT readers.
                                                                                          Anyone tried any of his non-ASOIAF short stories?
                                                                                          Some of them are really good, after 6 years without a big book its been a good reminder to me of how tightly plotted his stuff can be.
                                                                                          So far would recommend The Hero, A Song for Lya, With Morning comes Mistfall, This Tower of Ashes, The Stone City, and And Seven Times Never Kill Man which is one of the most complex 20 page books I've read (not sure I get it fully even after a re-read ).
                                                                                          Fevre Dream is excellent.
                                                                                          His 'Sandkings' is definitely worth a read, my new fav short story of his. It really hit me in my scary zone, seems insect stories make me queasy.
                                                                                          Added bonus is that it got made into a 2 hour episode of The Outer Limits so one can read it and then complain about the tv adaptation just like with GOT.

'Nightflyers' and 'Remembering Melody' are both decent enough short stories of his that have filmed versions out there, with the latter being an episode of The Hitchhiker (might ring bells for some oldies as the Twilight Zone style mystery series that was on Sky1 in the last 80s,early 90s that nearly always featured naked wimmin. Good memories).
                                                                                          Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 24-10-17, 10:28.

Comment

His 'Sandkings' is definitely worth a read, my new fav short story of his. It really hit me in my scary zone, seems insect stories make me queasy.
                                                                                            Added bonus is that it got made into a 2 hour episode of The Outer Limits so one can read it and then complain about the tv adaptation just like with GOT.

'Nightflyers' and 'Remembering Melody' are both decent enough short stories of his that have filmed versions out there, with the latter being an episode of The Hitchhiker (might ring bells for some oldies as the Twilight Zone style mystery series that was on Sky1 in the last 80s,early 90s that nearly always featured naked wimmin. Good memories).
                                                                                            There has been a lot of talk of one or other of these being made into a TV series to be filmed in Limerick. Think it's Nightflyers, that rings a bell.

Comment

Stuart Bingham banned from snooker for 6 months for betting on games both involving, and not involving himself. (approx £35k worth)

The second one on the list
                                                                                              • He bet on snooker using an account in his name in 2009-10 to a total of £424.44, with losses of £280.20.
                                                                                              • He bet on snooker using an account in his name in 2012-13 to a total of £20, all of which were losing bets.
                                                                                              • He placed bets on snooker matches that he was playing in using his manager's account. There were 36 matches between 2003 and 2015 to a value of £4,636.
                                                                                              • Between 25 August 2009 and 11 January 2017 he bet on snooker using an account in his manager's name.
                                                                                              • Between 1 January 2012 and 11 January 2017 he bet on snooker using a different account in his manager's name.
                                                                                              • A second party placed bets for Stuart Bingham's direct or indirect benefit to a value of £1,706.85.
                                                                                              • Between 1 December 2014 and 8 November 2016 he placed bets with a third party to a value of £4,000 that his highest break in a competition would be beaten. All of these were winning bets, making a profit of £7,000.

Comment

You using this hitch? https://www.inverse.com/article/3753...t-reply-turing

Expect some banterful results.
                                                                                                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                  Logic and common sense has no place in conspiracy theories
                                                                                                  Any tea?
                                                                                                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Banter View Post
                                                                                                      Any tea?
                                                                                                      Had a lovely piece of venison actually. Vegetables with butter on the side. Kerrygold, of course.

Comment

Anywhere to watch Fairyhouse live online? (Other than paying for ATR sub)

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                          Stuart Bingham banned from snooker for 6 months for betting on games both involving, and not involving himself. (approx £35k worth)

The second one on the list
                                                                                                          • He bet on snooker using an account in his name in 2009-10 to a total of £424.44, with losses of £280.20.
                                                                                                          • He bet on snooker using an account in his name in 2012-13 to a total of £20, all of which were losing bets.
                                                                                                          • He placed bets on snooker matches that he was playing in using his manager's account. There were 36 matches between 2003 and 2015 to a value of £4,636.
                                                                                                          • Between 25 August 2009 and 11 January 2017 he bet on snooker using an account in his manager's name.
                                                                                                          • Between 1 January 2012 and 11 January 2017 he bet on snooker using a different account in his manager's name.
                                                                                                          • A second party placed bets for Stuart Bingham's direct or indirect benefit to a value of £1,706.85.
                                                                                                          • Between 1 December 2014 and 8 November 2016 he placed bets with a third party to a value of £4,000 that his highest break in a competition would be beaten. All of these were winning bets, making a profit of £7,000.
                                                                                                          The worst part of this is the grimness of the small bet amounts overall (possible exception of the last one).

Comment

The worst part of this is the grimness of the small bet amounts overall (possible exception of the last one).
                                                                                                            Considering the amounts and assuming the bets weren't against himself where he could throw a match I think it is a bit harsh. People are so precious about this stuff. There is a clear line between match fixing and having a punt IMO.

LoL at the £20 account.

Comment

Last one sounds like he was sensibly covering himself in the high break prize if he knocked in a 14X break.
                                                                                                              Few quid at ~2/1 on someone beating it and guarantee yourself some return. Suggested that to non-gamblers in the office and they reacted that it should be a criminal offence.
                                                                                                              Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 24-10-17, 13:47.

Comment

#vote mia

Mia was voted in. Teacher said she should go into politics when older lol.

Delighted for her, she was super proud on the phone
                                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Mia was voted in. Teacher said she should go into politics when older lol.

Delighted for her, she was super proud on the phone
                                                                                                                  She'll be taking bribes and running scams in no time.

Comment

She'll be taking bribes and running scams in no time.
                                                                                                                    €5 for her teachers 'phone number. Cash, no questions.

Comment

Last one sounds like he was sensibly covering himself in the high break prize if he knocked in a 14X break.
                                                                                                                      Few quid at ~2/1 on someone beating it and guarantee yourself some return. Suggested that to non-gamblers in the office and they reacted that it should be a criminal offence.
                                                                                                                      I believe some bookmakers offer this service to sponsors to allow them cover the costs of additional sponsorship for winning the league, World Cup etc. Standard risk management and yet when the player does it it’s a shooting offence.
                                                                                                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Interviewed for a company before that offer exactly that service.

SportsRisq - https://risq.uk/sports-business/

Let's say you're 17th in Premiership at Christmas, market giving you a 25% chance of staying up. You have no capital available. You unlock 20% of the 'stay up bonus' differential between playing Premier League next season & Championship by selling the TV rights money away (stay up or go down) to company. They give you the cash, you can spend it on a new player.

Etc etc etc

Comment

Was just thinking Horatio has gone missing, hasn't posted in a while. Hope all is OK with him.
                                                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X