Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they allowed Saudi wimmin to jog over 5k there would be no need to allow them to drive.

Also if they get into an accident they can claim it wasn’t them driving when it gets to court. Or would it even go to court? Imagine A Saudi woman gets into a fender bender with an irate EhRab he’s probably behead her, the cops arrive, they all shrug their shoulders, wimmin drivers . It will take nerves of steel to take the wheel girls.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
      If they allowed Saudi wimmin to jog over 5k there would be no need to allow them to drive.

Also if they get into an accident they can claim it wasn’t them driving when it gets to court. Or would it even go to court? Imagine A Saudi woman gets into a fender bender with an irate EhRab he’s probably behead her, the cops arrive, they all shrug their shoulders, wimmin drivers . It will take nerves of steel to take the wheel girls.
      Given how covered up they have to be, they can claim it was anyone they want.

Comment

Seeing as Hitch is posting football related tweets, thought this was good....

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
          Was out with a fella last night who knows the guy who.came 4th. Said he was an Irish lad
          Originally posted by brady23 View Post
          Guy who finished 4th was a Pocarr guy. They have a few Irish lads with them but he's not Irish himself.

https://www.pocketfives.com/profiles/Cavalito/

def looks irish to me maybe he meant guy who came 2nd joshua333 based in canada ? in the low main event was brazilians in 3rd and 4th too so cant be that one.
          Last edited by chips1234; 27-09-17, 11:27.

Comment

Two of my underlings reporting that the boss has said he's sending me to Australia for some work gig. Rather bizarrely, he hasn't said a word to me.

Might take a week and go to Tasmania if true.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
              stranger things soundtrack is good for work:

Very good. Enjoyed this thoroughly and got loads done. Might take a few ginsengs at lunch and have another go of it in the afternoon.
              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Was only thinking of ginseng yesterday, saw it in Avoca.

That craze didn't last long.

Beetroot capsules, that's where it's at now.
                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                  Two of my underlings reporting that the boss has said he's sending me to Australia for some work gig. Rather bizarrely, he hasn't said a word to me.

For you've sold Trevelans corn...

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                    That's really interesting. Since starting running a few years ago, I'm up to about 100 5k runs but only about five or six more than 6k. I'm just not suited to anything longer than 5k; I actually think I'm probably not particularly suited to anything over 3k as I really fucking hate those last two kilometres

I'm sure that adding more 8k runs into the mix would make it all a bit easier but running for 30 minutes is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO god damn boring to me, even with music or a good podcast.

Actually doing a six-week Yoga for Runners course at the moment, to help stop my Achilles problems, and I admit to feeling very inadequate when the instructor went around the room asking people about their goals and typical runs. Most training the marathon of course (I don't think I could physically do it, seems like a horrendous experience to put yourself through, like climbing Everest or something!), when me and one other person shamefully admitted we mostly ran 5ks we got a pitying glance or two and the instructor kindly added 'oh... well every run counts'
                    I'm the opposite of that.
                    I say to myself I'll go out today for 5K and then find I have to force myself to limit it to 8K or 10K but I am really enjoying it even when I'm struggling to get home. With or without music I find it very zen and great head room to think through whatever stuff needs to be thought about or just as easily put away shit you don't need to be thinking about and just be in the moment. Swimming is similar but can be a bit boring and its frustrating for me because I need to be doing drills and developing technique but I hate that and just want to do distance.

At the moment I'm struggling to go further than 12k though, as I try to ramp up the miles towards the 100k a month I want to be doing I keep running into a groin problem that despite not hurting while running slows me down a bit and restricts the miles I can do. I have started doing Pilates at my physio's instruction and we'll see if that works. I'm signed up to do the Waterford half again in early december so hopefully that will happen.
                    Did a 10K event with a crowd from work last night thought I might get under the hour and got through 5K spot on 30 felt fine and thought I'd be able to p[ick it up a bit in the 2n'd half with 3 to go I only needed to pick up to 5:50 pace but when I tried to I actually slowed down instead and averaged 6:30 for them instead
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Transportation IMO

I had a lad set me up for a trip to Iran that I knew nothing about until he called asking me to get my passport down to the Embassy asap... "Errm no I'll be needing that to go on holidays next week"

Comment

Any of you werewolf players fancy being a sub for the Walking Dead game over in the other place?

PM me if you do and I can say to the Mod!

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
                          https://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...inds-1.2444051

Kids cartoons used to contain alcohol. Since the 1980s, regulations have tightened around what can and can't be pg.

That's a Duff, a fictional beer, not a product placement.
                          It's not a advert.

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                          All of the big players, with most of their marketing particularly with their beer brands.

Look at the TV and online ad's and try to put yourself into the mind of a 12 - 17 year old watching them.
                          17 year olds and 19 year olds are going to be drawn toward to similar imagery. A campaign targeting 18 to 25 year olds is going to register with some 16 to 17 year olds. That's doesn't mean they are targeting children specifically.

In as far as Denny's point about the main thrust of Alcohol marketing being to increase brand awareness, has some merit, who do you think a corporation who have been around for hundreds of years and will be around for hundreds more, would be focussing their branding at?
                          So now his point has some merit, but a few hours ago you sneered at it.

Regardless of that, the above makes little sense. Marketing campaigns are about current market share, not market share in decades time. The public is too fickle for that, trends come and go. The main brewers are currently pitching lots of pseudo craft beer because that's trendy now with the 25-40 market. They aren't pitching it to 12-17 year olds hoping it will still be popular in 20 years. Ditto with whiskey, gin and other similar trends.

Its a bit like the story I told recently about a conversation I had with a rural publican who was bereft at the recent demise of two of his customers in recent months, " I've lost two eight pinters" the whole success of big Alcohol depends on creating generation after generation of eight pinters.
                          But creating 8-pinters has nothing to do with advertising to children. We've has generations of 8-pinters since before we had TV.
                          Plus it's small rural pint pullers who need the 8-pinters propping up the bar. Big alcohol goes after the masses.
                          Last edited by Mellor; 27-09-17, 12:59.

Comment

All of the big players, with most of their marketing particularly with their beer brands.

Look at the TV and online ad's and try to put yourself into the mind of a 12 - 17 year old watching them.
                            Can you give an example of an ad that you feel is intentionly being marketed at underage drinkers?

Ads on Irish TV, Radio, etc go through a huge amount of scrutiny and there are regualr complaints (which are often upheld) over the most anal and most ridiculous things that result in the ad not being allowed to be shown again.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any alochol ad in recent times that has been banned in Ireland so I find it hard to believe that the relevant authorities are just letting ads targeted at underage drinkers slide.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                              Can you give an example of an ad that you feel is intentionly being marketed at underage drinkers?

Ads on Irish TV, Radio, etc go through a huge amount of scrutiny and there are regualr complaints (which are often upheld) over the most anal and most ridiculous things that result in the ad not being allowed to be shown again.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any alochol ad in recent times that has been banned in Ireland so I find it hard to believe that the relevant authorities are just letting ads targeted at underage drinkers slide.
                              I’d really rather gambling ads were banned before alcohol ones,they are fucking awful,particularly when watching sporting events .ladbrokes ads,paddy power,ray winstone,any online bingo company shudder
                              At least there is some half decent booze ones sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                I would hazard a guess that distance training offers more long term benefits than speed training, ie 5k, 10k.

Distance training is predominantly aerobic, strengthening lung function and the heart muscle, whereas the shorter stuff is mostly anaerobic. Wear and tear is probably more pronounced in the longer stuff sure, but I would still think the benefits outweigh that.
                                5km's are still mostly aerobic though. Massively so. I think I read they were 90-93% aerobic. The anaerobic part is important to hit a PR. But the 93% will have the biggest effect on health.
                                Sprint training (100m-200m) would more anaerobic. That's why sprinters tend to be quite muscled. But 5km runners are build fairly similar to marathoners. Guys like Bekele and Gebrselassie held WR's in both. Which says a lot about the similarities.

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                That's exactly what I was thinking might be the case. Getting to good 5km time should be no easier than a good marathon. But the stress is way less imo.

Comment

Yeah good points.

I read that article Denny posted after I had posted and it made sense.

Comment

I'm still going to tackle DCM every year though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Orchard Thieves, not just every ad but the entire concept of the brand.

I think everyone tends to underplay just how smart and influential marketing and advertising people are. Of course people who are smart enough to market a destructive depressant poison as a vibrant happy life choice are also smart enough to produce output that meets the letter of the law.

Originally posted by 5starpool
                                      How do you suggest they make ads that they want to appeal to 21 year olds and the likes, without it appealing to 16 year olds?
                                      I doubt they could therefore the important thing would be that 16 year olds shouldn't be seeing them.
                                      Originally posted by 5starpool
                                      Thae purpose of marketing is to sell stuff. Do you think an ad should consist of a picture of a can on a plain background with a voice over saying something like "buy Heineken, we make beer for adults only" and that be the ad?
                                      No but I am saying that the space in which that advertising is shown should be restricted.

Originally posted by Mellor
                                      Marketing campaigns are about current market share, not market share in decades time. The public is too fickle for that, trends come and go. The main brewers are currently pitching lots of pseudo craft beer because that's trendy now with the 25-40 market. They aren't pitching it to 12-17 year olds hoping it will still be popular in 20 years. Ditto with whiskey, gin and other similar trends.

But creating 8-pinters has nothing to do with advertising to children. We've has generations of 8-pinters since before we had TV.
                                      Plus it's small rural pint pullers who need the 8-pinters propping up the bar. Big alcohol goes after the masses.
                                      Ah nonsense.
                                      You are thinking at the level of an individual product. At a strategic corporate level where these decisions are made and the ethos and direction of corporations bigger than and older than many countries they understand that their future relies on a unending and growing supply of eight pinters wherever and however they consume.

Comment

I think the major issue with alcohol marketing is not centred around TV or radio ads, it's it's association with sport that is a major problem.

It should never be linked in the mind with healthy pursuits.

Comment

There is a much much bigger issue with Gambling ads than Drink ads in my opinion.

I heard some crazy stat about the amount of 8-10 yr olds that can name 4 different bookmakers. There is a major problem brewing under the surface as far as gambling addiction goes and I feel that this generation is already lost to it but something will have to change.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                            There is a much much bigger issue with Gambling ads than Drink ads in my opinion.

I heard some crazy stat about the amount of 8-10 yr olds that can name 4 different bookmakers. There is a major problem brewing under the surface as far as gambling addiction goes and I feel that this generation is already lost to it but something will have to change.

On the topic of beer and gambling. The new/refurbished bar in the Regency looks nice on the inside. Food is still s**** though

I don't think any shift in the amount of people gambling or proportion of their income that they spend on gambling is influenced by gambling ads but rather by the ease at which one can gamble now.

A change in drinking culture can be more easily attributed to advertising but advances in methods of gambling ie apps probably has a more profound effect than the ads themselves
                                            Last edited by Guest; 27-09-17, 15:05.

Comment

On the topic of beer and gambling. The new/refurbished bar in the Regency looks nice on the inside. Food is still s**** though
                                              Yeah saw the Ad in the play centre .

Comment

The new/refurbished bar in the Regency looks nice on the inside. Food is still s**** though
                                                Had a pint and a fish & chips in there yesterday before the start of the MegaStack - was happy enough with both. The new bar is so nice it's weirdly out of place in the Regency as a building! If you look at the component parts of the hotel from left to right, ending at the leisure centre by the carpark, you go through about four or five different architectural styles, it's a fun exercise...

Comment

Gambling ads are an absolute scourge.

I'm not easily moved but they genuinely disgust me.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                    Any of you werewolf players fancy being a sub for the Walking Dead game over in the other place?

PM me if you do and I can say to the Mod!
                                                    Is it manageable to follow? I'm not allowed on my phone in work so would be catching up on breaks and in the evening. Have got the bug back with the last couple of games on here but this game has gone dead now.

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post

I'm not sure how they aren't far more tightly regulated. The amount of bookie that open very close to pubs is pretty sad too. Linking problems, not giving a shit about people.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                        Surely by the very fact it says the woman's place is in the home that makes it sexist today (hence why we're changing it), even if it was forward thinking for the time?

On the other point, I read the constitution a good few times while I was an exam invigilator in TCD as it was a required text to have in the exam hall, and it is indeed a really nicely written document. Lovely levels of aspiration to the writing.
                                                        The constitution doesn't say that a woman has to be in the home. Nor does it preclude a woman from taking part in any of the activities a man can within the State. It simply states a formal reality at the time, that women tended to be homemakers in the vast vast majority of cases, and affirmed that the State would not force her to work outside of the home for economic reasons as the State recognised the enormous benefit homemakers gave to the State. It does not say a woman cannot do it, only that the State would help her if she chose not to.

The language being feminine is, to a modern sensibility, sexist. And I am among the many who think it should be removed. It is outdated and no longer relevant. However at the time it was a very cheap sop to McQuade and kept him from pressing his agenda in other areas. There have been some excellent books on the topic including the Origins of the Irish Constitution (Hogan) and The Making of the Irish Constitution, 1937 (Keogh, Maxwell).
                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Rustled her jimmies good.
                                                            "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                                            "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post

Yeah the sheer number of them too. Especially since they don't even take action, it's an industry that just exists for taking money off the mentally ill and mentally deficient.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                Is it manageable to follow? I'm not allowed on my phone in work so would be catching up on breaks and in the evening. Have got the bug back with the last couple of games on here but this game has gone dead now.
                                                                Too late. They had to mod kill.
                                                                Thanks anyway

Comment

Comment

I don't know how anyone who understands the maths of gambling and isn't a dedicated full time pro would bother. Voluntarily giving 7% of your money to a bookie because you can't enjoy sport for sports sake. Haven't made a bet in about 3 years and can't see ever bothering again.

Comment

quitter

Comment

I don't know how anyone who understands all the negative effects of drinking does it. I mean voluntarily damaging your health while spending money on something which is a poison to your body. Class one carcinogenic I think someone pointed out ITT a few days ago. I haven't drank in 3 days.

Opr

Comment

Comment

I'd be more likely to kill someone if I didn't drink.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                                              I'd be more likely to kill someone if I didn't drink.
                                                                              Can you not just enjoy life for life's sake?

Opr

Comment

The better comparison would be between drinking and poker as both are social outlets. As for cancer, being alive basically gives you cancer these days.

Comment

This Morata lad ain't bad

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                    The better comparison would be between drinking and poker as both are social outlets. As for cancer, being alive basically gives you cancer these days.
                                                                                    Can you not enjoy social occasions without drink? Can you not enjoy a rave without Ecstasy? Can you not enjoy a football match without a bet? Of course you can enjoy them all but all are just ways of enhancing the experience to a extent. Poker without money involved wouldn't have too many people using it as a social outlet.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                      Can you not just enjoy life for life's sake?

Opr
                                                                                      I am the liquor.

Comment

I get your point but I meant that I personally don't see the attraction. The whole thing leaves me cold. Can't see it for more than the net losing proposition that it is and don't see the life-EV payback that you get with other vices.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                          I get your point but I meant that I personally don't see the attraction. The whole thing leaves me cold. Can't see it for more than the net losing proposition that it is and don't see the life-EV payback that you get with other vices.
                                                                                          You don't see us flinging ourselves through the sky in a tin can for the laugh do you m8.

Comment

Start a book on when I'll end up as a smoking hole in the ground. Everyone wins.

Comment

Leo bossing SF again today (video is worth watching). Seems like the first party leader of any party that can control them.
                                                                                              What was the question?
                                                                                              He comes across as a right dick in my opinion
                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

What was the question?
                                                                                                Ah fuck it. She needs to be told now and then
                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

GET THE FUCK IN. Fucking La Liga teams.

Chelsea look really good recently, weekend v City will be interesting.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

SPOILER

Can’t get link to post
                                                                                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 27-09-17, 21:35.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                          I'm not sure how they aren't far more tightly regulated. The amount of bookie that open very close to pubs is pretty sad too. Linking problems, not giving a shit about people.
                                                                                                          Not just you but people are showing uncharacteristic naivety about the objectives and motives of these businesses. Its not that they don't give a shit about people, their entire business model is built around preying on peoples weaknesses and vulnerabilities. Excepting the likes of tobacco and some classes of illegal substances most of the things we are talking about can be used and enjoyed in moderation but that is not the kind of consumption those kind of businesses are interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                            Too late. They had to mod kill.
                                                                                                            Thanks anyway
                                                                                                            Glad now. Went to have a look at the thread. Far too much to catch up on. Couldn't have done it anyway. How's it working with all the different teams? If you'd rather not discuss on thread just shoot me a pm. Looks a bit more confusing than over here

Comment

What was the question?
                                                                                                              No one comes out well out of that.
                                                                                                              What did Leo do or say that was wrong

Comment

Just child's play from them both but worth it for him
                                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Lol no one talks shite like Dunphy [emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

It was like two primary school teachers full of hatred for each other arguing about doing a bit of extra work in front of the whole staff room.

Comment

Not just you but people are showing uncharacteristic naivety about the objectives and motives of these businesses. Its not that they don't give a shit about people, their entire business model is built around preying on peoples weaknesses and vulnerabilities. Excepting the likes of tobacco and some classes of illegal substances most of the things we are talking about can be used and enjoyed in moderation but that is not the kind of consumption those kind of businesses are interested in.
                                                                                                                      I'm entirely aware that gambling companies only exist to make people part with money and that they target those who are problem gamblers disproportionately. There should be restrictions on where a bookies can have a shop, such as not beside a pub, not within a certain distance of another bookies, or only a certain number allowed per population density or something.

Drinks companies are similar in that I know they don't care if most of their profit came from people who have problems with drink.

I don't massively like the idea of over regulating these things, but gambling ads especially have gone way overboard, and bookies just seem like seedy places full of grimness, and that;s just from seeing people go in and out of them as it's been years since I was in a bookies. Sometimes, people just need to be saved from themselves and their worse impulses, while still allowing the sensible majority to still enjoy things in moderation.

In terms of smoking though, I'm not sure why countries don't just ban tobacco products outright? Is it the revenue they take in from taxation? Is it the backlash from the smokers in terms of votes? I don't understand the impediment. Lip service is being paid to it only by governments everywhere.

Comment

Played some pokers tonight to try Sat into Stars event this weekend.

Got 4th in Hot 55 for $2100 Woooo

Comment

. Gambling ads are probably the worst thing about the planet at the moment.

Tom loves his accas. When he wins he buys the lads a pie and brings them bowling (cuts to the laddds in their best checkered shirts and token black guy in his leather jacket having a right banter fueled day bowling) Cause Tom is the acca man and he's generous and class at accas. Do your bet with us at UBETLOLYOUACCADROOLER and get a 1.7 billion quid bonus that you'll never withdraw ever and lose by Monday on the horses then give us your fiver weekly for life.

Please gamble responsibly. YELLOW EVERYWHERE.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X