Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Just on the warranty thing.
    E.g. here's the Apple Ireland page explaining that. And here's the EU page showing that is the law in Ireland.

I think almost no-one knows this though.

So these people trying to include in their package that there's a two year warranty is attempting to deceive you, because you are already covered by a six-year warranty by law.

Sure there is never any value in buying an extended warranty but the problem with all those regulations is that everything is dependant on the product being defective and that is going to be close on impossible to demonstrate on a consumer electronics item that has had any amount of use.
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I use the 6 year thing the whole time with Amazon but if anybody pished back we would have to prove the fault was there at time of purchase. Still worth a shot

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
        I use the 6 year thing the whole time with Amazon but if anybody pished back we would have to prove the fault was there at time of purchase. Still worth a shot
        youre into gaming are ya, when bored will ya root for a decent budget laptop for a 12 yr old , minecraft , sims etc and with a DVD drive , thanks
        Her sky-ness
        © 5starpool

Comment

I bought my gaming laptop from www.saveonlaptops.co.uk and definitely got a better deal than anything on amazon Dell or in Ireland at the time which was 18 months ago.

If you're willing to stretch a tad to get a dedicated GPU

You could get cheaper elsewhere now and to play Sims you probably don't need it but it's decent value

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
              handy to know , doubt be any good for a 22 yr old who smashes her iphone screen at least one a month , not joking btw lol
              I feel your pain... my 22 yo youngest averages one every 6 months

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                  I feel your pain... my 22 yo youngest averages one every 6 months
                  you're paying for them?

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                    I bought my gaming laptop from www.saveonlaptops.co.uk and definitely got a better deal than anything on amazon Dell or in Ireland at the time which was 18 months ago.

If you're willing to stretch a tad to get a dedicated GPU

You could get cheaper elsewhere now and to play Sims you probably don't need it but it's decent value
                    thanks for that bookmarked, ya could stretch to that but thats all shes fucking getting , more or less told her " eh mia what you want for xmas , now listen up , it wont be like other yrs with mountains of stuff so pick one decent thing for US to buy you " she kinda grinned and went a bit red . in other words we know well you dont believe in santa any more , harsh but true unfortunately
                    Her sky-ness
                    © 5starpool

Comment

I know ye all told me before but having an aversion to anything with a supernatural I kept putting it down the queue but Stranger things is several shades of awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                        you're paying for them?
                        I dont! no chance she has a job she pays. last one so bad couldnt be fixed . I ended up buying a shitty android off some yoke that was floating about sky stand about 3 months ago . shes till using it and hates it but will teach her a lesson maybe now to have a bit of respect for stuff and to stop thinking otter boxes are ugly over rose fucking gold!

Mia has iphone 2 yrs with otter box not a scratch on it!
                        Her sky-ness
                        © 5starpool

Comment

A guy I know who was a regular marathon runner was away on holidays last week, went out for a short run came back to the feeling unwell and dropped dead.
                          Sister is a pharmacist.

One guy that was a semi-regular customer of hers got separated from his wife and ended up training for and doing some Ironmans.

Long story short he became ridic obsessive with them (they became his life) and was taking a stupid amount of painkillers/other tablets. Guy went off the rails begging for prescription tablets even without a doctors’ sign off and causing all sorts of problems in the store.

Went nuts in the pharmacy a few times kicking up a fuss (common enough for junkies to do mind you). Took his own life in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                            New 10 part documentary on the Vietnam war just started on BBC4. May be worth a watch.
                            Good shout,this is excellent.i seem to miss a lot of these kind of docs

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                              Jayz, a long time ago. Here TLDR
                              SPOILER
                              picture a time before the Celtic tiger , before the committments, before Demspseys den
                              dark days when lolpool were simply Liverpool . Willie lived in drimnagh with da mudder and siblings. Dick Hooper and Jerry Kiernan were household names. I was a sports addict, (drimnagh have many different addicts now). The ol running was a national craze

1st Maratthon, not a lot of training as I was superman (I thought) and decided a few runs to Joe Wongs and back every day would suuffice. It didn't and from Raheny home I walk jogged the last 6 miles home in the time it took me to run the previous 20.

2nd one. I decided too late and ran a poor time but ran it all at least

3rd one. I decided to train but felt shit the whole race and nearly dropped out (short version) Soniaitis ie the dodgy belly , effected me.

4th one. TRAINING (same as last year) sorry to disappoint we just went running nothing fancy

3 times a week from Rafters road to Joe Wongs, twice a week, to Newlands cross and back. Sometimes extend it to Rathcoole. kept that up until 2 month beforehand,
                              then some more of the Rathcoole run and less of the Newllands,
                              Never ran more that 16ish miles but a really fast pace, and always picked it up the last 1/2 mile. Loved that , flying down the long mile road like a real runner.

closer to the big run we (my running buddies) kept the runs small and , off to the manshion house for our numbers and goodie ags the night before. This 4th one I felt alive and excited and was up near the front of the multitude. 4 of us started together, me in my spina bifida vest (raised 90 quid..hero) . Great hearing people shouting come on spina bifida lads, the ol wans at Finglas half way mark singing run rabbit run rabbit run run run. I was flying. Struggled near howth even though the wind was behind me , coming around and near the green I was went for it as I knew my family were there to cheer on the skinny (was then) shaggy son home. In the middle of all those thick thighed me I floated to the line and was stunned and delight to break the time target.
                              Nothing here to learn, except my 10k times got slower after doing them.

Would love to take it up just for one more year but zero time these days.

SPOILER
                              3.45 was the time conor :-0 don't worry you'll beat that easily this year , I was thrilled though.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                Good shout,this is excellent.i seem to miss a lot of these kind of docs
                                Thought that first episode was a bit all over the time line. Settled down in the second.
                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Just on the warranty thing.

Irish law guarantees you can return goods for up to six years after purchase if they develop a fault. Thats the point I was getting at with Lazare the other week when he was saying his phone is out of warranty and he had to buy a new one (his phone definitely wasn't that old!). Was in the middle of something at the time so couldn't look up the legislation.

People who sell you these electronics try to cover that obligation up by offering you their own warranty, but that doesn't remove your statutory warranty rights which can never be removed.

E.g. here's the Apple Ireland page explaining that. And here's the EU page showing that is the law in Ireland.

I think almost no-one knows this though.

So these people trying to include in their package that there's a two year warranty is attempting to deceive you, because you are already covered by a six-year warranty by law.
                                  I got a replacement phone from 3 last summer as I was still in their 2 year contract(took 2 months of nonsense but that's another story). The replacement is pretty fucked now, displaying all the signs that forced me to send the original back 14 months after getting it.
                                  I unlocked the phone and changed provider since but am I in a position to go back to 3 and hassle them about it, and if so how should I go about it?

A lot of questions, apologies. You seem to know what you're at though, thanks!

Long story short, my new replacement phone is 14 months old and the battery will barely hold a charge and the phone decided to restart itself about 8 times a day
                                  Last edited by darwinatemyhamster; 25-09-17, 22:26.

Comment

I know ye all told me before but having an aversion to anything with a supernatural I kept putting it down the queue but Stranger things is several shades of awesome.
                                    And now you've only a month to wait for season 2. Out October 31st. Win win

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                      Thought that first episode was a bit all over the time line. Settled down in the second.
                                      I have the first 5 episodes downloaded, will get to watch them at some point hopefully.

Comment

Ran 4 marathons back in the day . The recovery is approximately 20 years . FK U anything over 10k. Rookie error on the 1st one , the infamous 'bleeding nipple one. The 2nd one 'the black toenail run' was harrowing. I could feel the blood blister under the nail growing and screaming . I was well prepared for the 3rd one and finished merely incapacitated from tiredness and clap deafness. My final one was perfect. I will not reveal the time as ye will all cry foul. I did however down a bovril in one go and puked it all over St Stephens green 10 seconds later . I got my new walk that day and kept it to this day. Marathons a great day out.
                                        Have also done 4 in recent years so have a long recovery ahead First one was great; went in without any idea of what time I could achieve having only run fractions of the distance sporadically in training - the goal really was just to complete it. I must say the buzz I felt crossing the line for the first time probably hasn't been matched since. 4:02 for that one. Second time around, approx 18 months later, I trained a lot more and felt excellent going into the race. Had a target of 3:45 and got home in 3:35. Crossing the line was more relief than euphoria that time to be honest.

6 weeks later I did another one and had to walk most of the last 10-12km getting home in and around 4:30. Took a break of about 6 months before taking it on again. Trained very little but held onto the belief the endurance would still be there. Was ticking along nicely when I got to 7-8km out again and legs just went to jelly. Walked the remainder getting home in 4:05. Far from relief or joy I felt crossing the finish line the last 2 times. It's a funny game though; when I was reading the posts I was thinking to myself I doubt I'll ever run one again but looking back on the experiences even briefly is giving me a slight urge to go through it all again...

Comment

Anybody else watching Claire Byrne Live?

Is Christina Noble drunk or is she a bit bat shit crazy?

Comment

Is there somewhere that gives old archive results from dublin running events. Want to check my old 10k stats from the 80s . Jayz 30 years ago . Me voice not broken yet

Comment

Either you aren't the lad I thought you were or the lad I thought you were was a lot fitter and more active than I thought he was

Trying to figure out if the second part is an insult or compliment... probably both
                                              Last edited by pokerhand; 26-09-17, 03:22.
                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

As a severe poke in the eye to all those actuaries with their risk-adjusted lifestyle models, I woke up this morning and was, miraculously, 40. Hopefully this gives inspiration to all you young pups wondering if you too can achieve these age heights.
                                                    Happy birthday brother.
                                                    Here's to the next 40, may you be an embarrassment to your children doing the macerena at their 40th
                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

SPOILER
                                                      3.45 was the time conor :-0 don't worry you'll beat that easily this year , I was thrilled though.
                                                      Too right you were thrilled. Excellent time. My predicted time is 3:58 based off my half time, but I think I will be closer to around 3:52 ish if it goes well.

Haven't got the requisite conditioning for much better yet, but I will get there. Want to go sub 3 within a decade.
                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Ah! so that explains the football, sparkling watersports and other components of a Hitch style mid mid life crisis.
                                                        Happy birthday, I hope the second half is just as much fun as the first

Comment

As a severe poke in the eye to all those actuaries with their risk-adjusted lifestyle models, I woke up this morning and was, miraculously, 40. Hopefully this gives inspiration to all you young pups wondering if you too can achieve these age heights.
                                                          I plan to live fast and die soon. Fuck moderacy!

Happy Birthday though You are a libra with moon in pisces.

Artist: Stevie WonderSong: Happy BirthdayAlbum: Hotter Than July (EMI 1980)Event : Nelson Mandela Day (July 19th 2009)Venue: Radio City Music Hall, NYFrom it...

Comment

Is there somewhere that gives old archive results from dublin running events. Want to check my old 10k stats from the 80s . Jayz 30 years ago . Me voice not broken yet
                                                            Post that q on the boards athletics forum, if anyone can help they'll be there...

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                              Too right you were thrilled. Excellent time. My predicted time is 3:58 based off my half time, but I think I will be closer to around 3:52 ish if it goes well.

Haven't got the requisite conditioning for much better yet, but I will get there. Want to go sub 3 within a decade.
                                                              I have a colleague who has done maybe ten of them over the over the last decade with five serious assaults on breaking 3:30 without getting it.
                                                              Last time he was 2 minutes ahead of schedule at 35k and finished in 3:32 I think he has 5 finishes now between 3:32 and 3:45. Its become a thing now, he will do DCM but is not targeting a time and will decide after that whether to have another shot at the time next year.

Comment

I have a colleague who has done maybe ten of them over the over the last decade with five serious assaults on breaking 3:30 without getting it.
                                                                Last time he was 2 minutes ahead of schedule at 35k and finished in 3:32 I think he has 5 finishes now between 3:32 and 3:45. Its become a thing now, he will do DCM but is not targeting a time and will decide after that whether to have another shot at the time next year.
                                                                Ooh, so close. There is that danger with round numbers though that you may never be satisfied. I'm sure that chap was gutted hitting 3:32 when in reality he should be ecstatic.

I'm also trying my best not to get too hung up on the sub 4 this year as I'll never run my first marathon again. I don't want anything putting a downer on the day but I can't resist it.

Comment

A few years back I was fitter and getting to the place where I was close to doing 10k in one go (at about 52 min pace) but my dodgy ankles flared up and made running pretty much impossible. I tried again a while afterwards but again ankles put the kiabosh on it.

I'm fatter than ever again now. Mostly down to laziness and a shocking diet though, but I did enjoy running when I was able to, and find the other things far more of a chore, not that I've done anything recently.

Comment

Post that q on the boards athletics forum, if anyone can help they'll be there...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=972
                                                                    1984 results a young child . William Clynes.

Hitch you might find daddy .

1980 Final  1981 Final  1982 Final Result  1983 Final  1984 Final 1985-Final  1986 Final  1987 Final 1988 Final 1989 Revised Final 1990 Final  1991 Final  1992 Final  1993 Final  1994 Revised 1995 Final 1996 Final  1997 Final  1998 Final  1999 Final

Comment

1984 results a young child . William Clynes.

Hitch you might find daddy .

http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.i...lts-archive-2/
                                                                      Find mine the year I was born. good excuse to get out of the house!

Comment

Yall need doke to come up in here to bitch slap some fools

Mm running is bad for me,

cheeseboards and keyboards is the key

Comment

Sub 3 is a big ask lazare. You really need to put the miles in plus you won't be getting any younger. Was a great runn8ng club here at work with 230 240 250 marathons amongst the. 2 sub 3 guys recently who did a huge amount of training and only barely made it.

I'm like starpool now except replace ankles with hips. Used to love it and was ok for my age. 22 5k 48 10k. Can't kick a ball now ffs. New hips ordered off Amazon.

Comment

Fear of heart failure stops me from pushing it yet I was out boozing till 4.30 last Friday.

Wonder how my cheese board looks

Comment

We are having 8 refs in the next yr and a half.

Abortion

Seanad reform

Reducing the required wait from 3 to 5 yrs to 2 to 4 yrs for a divorce.

Reducing voting age to 16

Changing blasphemy laws.

Changing womans role in the consitution ..

Other stuff.

Seanad reform I would REALLY like to see.
                                                                              Last edited by Guest; 26-09-17, 10:16.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                Sub 3 is a big ask lazare. You really need to put the miles in plus you won't be getting any younger. Was a great runn8ng club here at work with 230 240 250 marathons amongst the. 2 sub 3 guys recently who did a huge amount of training and only barely made it.

I'm like starpool now except replace ankles with hips. Used to love it and was ok for my age. 22 5k 48 10k. Can't kick a ball now ffs. New hips ordered off Amazon.
                                                                                Yep, it's a huge ask, but I think it's doable. I'm built perfectly for the sport, just need a few years to build the engine.
                                                                                A friend ran his first one in 2006, came in in 4:16. His current pb is 2:38.

Funny, they're my times right now, 22:10 5k, 47:55 10k.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
                                                                                  Ugh I hate our constitution so much. They shouldn't be reducing this by referendum. They should put "after an appropriate waiting period" in the constitution and specify the duration in legislation instead. It's total bollox putting specific values like this in the constitution.
                                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Is that list of sites for ebook sites still around or is there an updated version of it by any chance.

I can't seem to source any college books at all without paying around 200e

Any help greatly appreciated

Found the list
                                                                                    If anyone else wants it I'll PM it to them
                                                                                    Last edited by Guest; 26-09-17, 12:59.

Comment

fuck sake now I have to go to they gym today

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post

Guy i know . Took up running full time at 50 . He's now one of the top seniors in Ireland . 4 Years or so into it. He looks a lot older now. His plump rosy cheeks replaced by skinny dacou look. . He'd run the Marathon close to under 3 hours. Fucker does nothing else.

Comment

New booze laws are a joke. We'll be banning women from driving at this rate.

Comment

What are they specifically? I saw something about alcohol not being allowed to be displayed in shops. How would that work?

Comment

Yep, it's a huge ask, but I think it's doable. I'm built perfectly for the sport, just need a few years to build the engine.
                                                                                              A friend ran his first one in 2006, came in in 4:16. His current pb is 2:38.

Not a sport. Definition of sport is activity that involves physical exertion and skill... there is no skill involved.
                                                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

They are slightly strange times, was the 22:10 an outlier cause I'd have thought something in the low 46s 10K would be expected for a 22:10 5K'er.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
                                                                                                  We are having 8 refs in the next yr and a half.

Abortion

Seanad reform

Reducing voting age to 16

Changing blasphemy laws.

Changing womans role in the consitution ..

Other stuff.

Seanad reform I would REALLY like to see.
                                                                                                  Other stuff gets my vote.

Now a question.
                                                                                                  Why do scuba divers fall backwards into the water?

SPOILER
                                                                                                  if they fall forward they would be still on the boat

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                    What are they specifically? I saw something about alcohol not being allowed to be displayed in shops. How would that work?
                                                                                                    Well how it has worked for the last decades is that Alcohol purchase has now been so normalised that kids see it as being something as normal as buying food. And you see the thing is, it isn't.

New booze laws are a joke.
                                                                                                    Indeed, its silly to allow the alcohol companies to continue to market at children, would be much simpler and more effective to ban all marketing except for inside licensed premises.
                                                                                                    Last edited by Strewelpeter; 26-09-17, 11:32.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                      Not a sport. Definition of sport is activity that involves physical exertion and skill... there is no skill involved.
                                                                                                      lol

Go back to sleep you're drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                        They are slightly strange times, was the 22:10 an outlier cause I'd have thought something in the low 46s 10K would be expected for a 22:10 5K'er.
                                                                                                        I 'should' have ran 46:x but struggled with endurance. This specific training block has remedied that to some degree.

I'm looking forward to attacking those times next year once all this long stuff is over.

Comment

lol

Go back to sleep you're drunk.
                                                                                                          You run from A to B in the most efficient fast time you can. No skill involved just physical exertion. Simples.

Comment

They want to stop barbers serving beer or serving whiskey after a hot towel shave,GTFO. Their going to have another crack at prohibition in the next 20 years at this rate

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                              They want to stop barbers serving beer or serving whiskey after a hot towel shave,GTFO. Their going to have another crack at prohibition in the next 20 years at this rate
                                                                                                              It's absolute nonsense, a woman having a g&t with her haircut or a guy having a beer is exactly the type of responsible drinking we need to be encouraging people towards. One drink. Not promoting the binge drink pub.

Fucking vintners have too big a lobby in this country. Was the same with the cafe bar thung.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                                So bricklaying is a sport ?

Comment

Can be.

Comment

And sex
                                                                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

no beer with a haircut, now will they do the same with wine/champagne at art events or openings ?
                                                                                                                      What about fashion shows, bridal shops, corporate events?
                                                                                                                      Will they fuck.

@SP, is personal responsibility too much to ask in this day and age?
                                                                                                                      Last edited by DeadParrot; 26-09-17, 12:31.
                                                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Well how it has worked for the last decades is that Alcohol purchase has now been so normalised that kids see it as being something as normal as buying food. And you see the thing is, it isn't.

Indeed, its silly to allow the alcohol companies to continue to market at children, would be much simpler and more effective to ban all marketing except for inside licensed premises.
                                                                                                                        I don't agree with the above. Why does the answer always have to be to ban something. Why can't we use other methods?

How about we start as a collective society of parents and mature adults by stop telling kids that alcohol is bad and then proceeding to go on the lash at the weekends. How about we educate kids about the dangers of alcohol when taken in excess but once drank in moderation, it is OK (and has some potential health benefits). How about we develop alternatives to the pub as a social activity.

I'm pretty sure other countries in Europe, Spain, France, Italy, etc have similar marketing/advertsing campaigns as we do here in Ireland but they don't seem to have the same issues as we do

Banning something just drives the issue under ground, it creates a bigger taboo about it and makes people want it more, especially teenagers and young adults whose very nature is to be rebellious

Comment

Booze burka

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X