Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mate of mine going on secondment to Boston for a few months. Obv first thing I do is check out Pats home fixtures to decide when to visit

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          Are you going away?!
          poker Killarney, will be a good trip alright

prob come home needing another 10 days off

made day 2 with decent stack from playing online inc some golden chip yolk I won , if I make final table (very doubtful) I get 10k package to the Caribbean

also won ladies event seat , ill prob just sit and abuse them all
          Her sky-ness
          © 5starpool

Comment

Off to Berlin on holliers tomorrow, small world SatN.
            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
              Haven't drank or been out past 10 for almost a month now, just been working away. We beat a rival pretty easily on saturday and there was a seafood festival on in town that everyone was going to so i said I would go, by about 9.30 i had first beer bought for me, by 11pm I recognised my neighbour at it who is this attractive single lady who i've not spoken to. Went back to talking about etc rugby and then I get home around 2am.

I texted my misses a little bit, then went to sleep or so I thought. at well after 3am i found myself outside my patio door in my boxers and a tshirt going to bring in my basil plant as it was cold, the sliding patio door closed behind me and i got locked out. i tried and tried to open doors, then ran around to front, buzzed every apartment in the complex until someone let me in. ended up trying to sleep on the floor next to my apartment door. Eventually i heard the neighbour moving around in her apartment so i knocked on her door. explained the situation and she let me use her phone, im standing in middle of random persons apartment in my boxers badly needing to take a shit while waiting for the person with the spare key to arrive.

I missed the team bus to the away game close to munich and it turned out while i was in her apartment he had already gone to my place, checked for me and was worried so started calling around everywhere for me. After I called he had to turn back and come to let me in. Absolute disaster of a night
              A: Spots sexy neighbour at beer/food festival
              B: [Scene Deleted]
              C: Standing in sexy neighbours apartment in boxers (presumably with a semi) while dying for a shit.

There are lots of plausible events to get from A to C - but drunken concern for the wellbeing of a cold basil plant wouldn't be making the shortlist.
              Last edited by Mellor; 05-09-17, 08:41.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Like is it just stupidity or is there another reason why something as obvious as that doesn't happen?
                    Insurance costs?

Comment

Has anyone claimed tax relief on college fees before. It seems strangely straight forward and I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

20% relief on upwards of 7k after registration, exams etc. Basically a max return of 1400 I gather.

I'm wondering can I claim it back as an independent student or do I need to be a dependent student etc and a parent/employer claim it back.

Two people in revenue didn't know anything either. I don't want to pay until I'm sure.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                          Has anyone claimed tax relief on college fees before. It seems strangely straight forward and I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

20% relief on upwards of 7k after registration, exams etc. Basically a max return of 1400 I gather.

I'm wondering can I claim it back as an independent student or do I need to be a dependent student etc and a parent/employer claim it back.

Two people in revenue didn't know anything either. I don't want to pay until I'm sure.
                          Very straightforward when I did it for a post grad in 09/10. I was broke as fuck at the time and the fees were 6k. I paid 5 upfront and told NUIG I would pay them the balance when I got the tax back and it was no issue.

Comment

55 hours per week on school grounds would have been cruel and unusual punishment for me as a kid.
                            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Comment

Long shot but anyone know where I'd get a second hand golf bca engine 1.4 petrol. Any colour will do

Comment

Reminds me that I was always dropped off at school between 7:30 and 8 as dad was going to work then, a lot of time spent doing fuck all waiting for school.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Banter View Post
                                    Off to Berlin on holliers tomorrow, small world SatN.
                                    Living in Berlin ATM. Holla at me.

Comment

Does this have anything to do with Gimmeabreak? Timing seems suspiciously good re his pudding mentions. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...10031?mode=amp

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                        Reminds me that I was always dropped off at school between 7:30 and 8 as dad was going to work then, a lot of time spent doing fuck all waiting for school.
                                        I used to get the bus to secondary school at 7.00am and be madly kicking the legs off fellas in a manic football match from 8.00am every morning. No one worried about insurance back then!

I remember going to primary school on a snow day and the teachers fucked off home and left us make our own way home walking through snowdrifts.

Work is offering a course to my UK colleagues entitled "raising resilient children". No need for that course 30 years ago!!
                                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

In the schools here you can drop your kid off an hour early at 7:30am and pick them up two hours late at 6:30pm. Paid for by parents paying €6 a day for the minders of the kids. Doesn't cost the state a penny. All the money goes directly to the childminders so they're well paid as the school grounds are 'free' accommodation.

My question, after talking to my bro yesterday about his awful hassle of arranging pre- and post-care for their kid starting school, is why don't Irish schools do that? It seems to make perfect sense for everyone. The gov solves a problem that parents have for the sweet sweet cost of nothing and get the gratitude in the form of oh-so-lovely ballot box votes, and it saves the parents loads of time and money.
                                          I actually asked a teacher in my kids school that last weekend!

She looked at me as though I was insane.
                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                            Does this have anything to do with Gimmeabreak? Timing seems suspiciously good re his pudding mentions. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...10031?mode=amp
                                            No, that's the competition imo

We can have a Great Irish Pudding-Off at ole's BBQ.

Comment

Like is it just stupidity or is there another reason why something as obvious as that doesn't happen?
                                              Unions

Comment

Comment

In the schools here you can drop your kid off an hour early at 7:30am and pick them up two hours late at 6:30pm. Paid for by parents paying €6 a day for the minders of the kids. Doesn't cost the state a penny. All the money goes directly to the childminders so they're well paid as the school grounds are 'free' accommodation.

My question, after talking to my bro yesterday about his awful hassle of arranging pre- and post-care for their kid starting school, is why don't Irish schools do that? It seems to make perfect sense for everyone. The gov solves a problem that parents have for the sweet sweet cost of nothing and get the gratitude in the form of oh-so-lovely ballot box votes, and it saves the parents loads of time and money.
                                                  Over here the kids can go on the school bus which gets them in early and there is no charge for the breakfast club.

After school is from 2.30-6.30 and is charged at 0.8c an hour. You put extra food in their lunch box or you can pay to get them fed at the club (its in the school grounds)
                                                  Each day a teacher gets them to do homework and helps kids who are stuck.

It is a great system for working parents and also during the summer months they ran the summer school for 8 weeks and that cost €25 for the WHOLE summer and if you needed afterschool on top of that it cost the same 0.80c an hour.

Tony and I work it between us during the summer. I am working from home part of the day, the rest in the office, he leaves at 3 and comes home to work the rest of his day from home. The summer school is great, they do crafts and sports and the kids all love it (in general as my older two are at home)

Comment

Comment

Maybe this is what 'unions' implies, but its all private people brought in who have a few hours spare in the morning and afternoon, so nothing to do with the teachers.

@tar its not just sitting around doing nothing, they design a few games, let them hang out, play with the sports equipment, do colouring etc. The kids love it.
                                                      This.

Usually, in French schools, the ones looking after the kids before and after school are already school employees (surveillant) who look after the kids in the playground, canteen, hallways, etc. they're not the teachers. some of the younger ones are often qualified teachers looking or waiting for future employment as a teacher in the school or education systems.

My kids have always loved it tbh. on nice days, they're outside running around playing games/sports/etc with their friends and on shitty days are inside the classrooms or the library, reading books, doing arts & crafts, playing board games, doing their homework...

i've often given them the choice of either coming home and chilling out or staying at school for the after club, and most times, they've chosen school. it's definitely not seen as "school" after hours.

Comment

We never had after school services so contrived detention was our MO.

Comment

Teachers working outside of core hours or bringing in non teachers to supervise kids - good luck getting union approval for it.

Comment

Comment

Well it won't be €1400 as there is a threshold of either €3k for full time and €1.5k for part time course. So either €800 for full time or €1100 for part time.

Also it is tax relief so the person claiming it must pay more than this is in tax. You if you are working and paying tax for the year or if not choose someone else who is and they can claim it having said they paid for you.

Comment

It's an odd thing bring out of contract.
                                                                Had an interview and an offer today and am now having a pint trying to talk meself out of the first thing that comes along.
                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                  It's an odd thing bring out of contract.
                                                                  Had an interview and an offer today and am now having a pint trying to talk meself out of the first thing that comes along.
                                                                  Life's too short. Take the rest of the year off. Get tax back, bond with baby.

Comment

but creches are groups of non-teachers supervising kids ...

in any case that probably is indeed the reason, which just goes to show how destructive unions are. The fact teacher unions might even have a say in how school grounds are used when they aren't in school is mad.
                                                                    Has anyone actually heard of teachers' unions opposing something like this in Ireland?

There are hundreds of breakfast clubs operating in schools all over the country which as far as I know have no opposition from unions.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                      Well it won't be €1400 as there is a threshold of either €3k for full time and €1.5k for part time course. So either €800 for full time or €1100 for part time.

Also it is tax relief so the person claiming it must pay more than this is in tax. You if you are working and paying tax for the year or if not choose someone else who is and they can claim it having said they paid for you.
                                                                      Is that correct regarding amounts?

3k is the disregard amount. So my course is quite expensive so even after 3k is disregarded there would be 5 figures remaining with a maximum of 20% at 7k.

I thought I'd be entitled then to 1400 am I missing something?
                                                                      Last edited by Guest; 05-09-17, 16:05.

Comment

Irrespective of the cost of your course you may only claim on €7k of fees paid. So a €45k course is still a €7k course. Then the disregard amount is applied to the €7k, not to the actual course fee. So €7k - €3k @ 20% = €800.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                          Never understood peoples love of celebrating their ignorance of the Irish language.

I can understand ambivalence, but actively flaunting and being into your own ignorance is just odd imo.
                                                                          I used to be fairly fluent at Irish, having done it at honours level for the Leaving Cert. It was horrendously taught back then also but our Irish teacher was smoking hot. Literally, every bloke in the school (including all the male teachers) fancied her. Irish was her first language as she grew up in the Gaelteach and she did a very good job in teaching us despite the syllabus.

Sadly, over time, my command of the language has deteriorated due to lack of use. About 10 years ago, I took it upon myself to brush up on it, which mainly involved reading Irish newspapers and watching the news as Gaeilge but it was short lived as there was just no use for it. I really only use it now when on holidays and want to talk about people next to us so they can't understand us.

How is the hiking going? I had an exhausting day lazing by the pool, had a few dips to cool off and got through a few chapters of my book. Am currently sipping on my 4th G&T of the evening [emoji16]

Comment

Irrespective of the cost of your course you may only claim on €7k of fees paid. So a €45k course is still a €7k course. Then the disregard amount is applied to the €7k, not to the actual course fee. So €7k - €3k @ 20% = €800.
                                                                            My mistake, I was told originally I'd be entitled to tax relief on my course cost minus 3k to a total of 20% on 7k hence where I got the 1400.

I knew it was a maximum of 20% for 7k but wasn't aware its essentially 20% on 4k.

I wasnt aware that the 3k was disregarded from the 7k, I thought it was disregarded from the total cost.

I appreciate the clarification. As suspected I won't be entitled to it either way as its self funded with no tax paid in the past year.
                                                                            Last edited by Guest; 05-09-17, 16:28.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                I used to be fairly fluent at Irish, having done it at honours level for the Leaving Cert. It was horrendously taught back then also but our Irish teacher was smoking hot. Literally, every bloke in the school (including all the male teachers) fancied her. Irish was her first language as she grew up in the Gaelteach and she did a very good job in teaching us despite the syllabus.

Sadly, over time, my command of the language has deteriorated due to lack of use. About 10 years ago, I took it upon myself to brush up on it, which mainly involved reading Irish newspapers and watching the news as Gaeilge but it was short lived as there was just no use for it. I really only use it now when on holidays and want to talk about people next to us so they can't understand us.

How is the hiking going? I had an exhausting day lazing by the pool, had a few dips to cool off and got through a few chapters of my book. Am currently sipping on my 4th G&T of the evening [emoji16]
                                                                                What resort did you end up going to ?
                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

...

Comment

No, but think Richie's significant other is a teacher so maybe he has inside track. Must be some reason as it's bizarre to hand back kids at 2:30pm or whatever to families of two parents working and leaving a perfectly good place for kids to be taken care of empty.
                                                                                    Yes! My point exactamundo.

Comment

Arguing with a councillor on twitter who was moaning the council had no money to build houses and yet he voted to reduce the council's income by lowering local property tax by 15%. He's struggling to find a connection between the two events
                                                                                      But he got re-elected so you know, results-based thinking.

Comment

No, but think Richie's significant other is a teacher so maybe he has inside track. Must be some reason as it's bizarre to hand back kids at 2:30pm or whatever to families of two parents working and leaving a perfectly good place for kids to be taken care of empty.
                                                                                        Could have something to do with the 4 - 6 hours of work required of primary teachers out outside teaching time.

If it was to be a private enterprise coming into a school and using the facilities I can imagine all sorts of problems but if it is a community run effort it shouldn't be an insurmountable problem to run that kind of scheme (there are already loads of them running as breakfast and homework clubs) if enough parents wanted it and were willing to do what is required to organise it and develop the scheme with the cooperation of board of management of their school.

Despite what most parents think it is not in any way the job of the department of education to provide babysitters.
                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

...

Comment

As suspected I won't be entitled to it either way as its self funded with no tax paid in the past year.
                                                                                            Depending on your ethical sensibility someone else can claim it, like a family member.

Comment

Depending on your ethical sensibility someone else can claim it, like a family member.
                                                                                              Sorry I forgot to mention my brother is paying the first installment

Comment

No I am just presuming, my soon to be wife is an occupational therapist.

Breakfast and homework clubs which certainly exist are one offs and unions can't reallly object to them, people volunteer and fundraiser on their own.

Making statewide changes to school opening hours across the board which this would be even if teacher participation isn't mandatory or asked for is a different thing all together. I presume that unions would make it difficult to implement without a payoff for members.

Comment

Missed Saturday due to a poxy wedding. Back for tonight so expecting a narrow win.

Comment

...

Comment

The child off to Lanzarote in morning , she has her small suitcase and a tiny back pack, can she throw her laptop in her suitcase?
                                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Which is everything that's wrong with unions, if that's the case. Wanting a payoff for the building they work in being used to look after kids when they're not there I'd like to feel that wouldn't be the case though. Surely it wouldn't.
                                                                                                        You're out of Ireland a long time Hitch.

This is the country where train drivers will go on strike in support of extra payment for....walking from one end of the train to the other.

Comment

Coybig. Brady FGS 10/1

Pp specail too, Ireland Wales Austria 11/2.

Comment

Anybody have iPlayer working for Android without a VPN? Something like been but for Android?

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                                                              Coybig. Brady FGS 10/1

Pp specail too, Ireland Wales Austria 11/2.

possibly the worst 11/2 shot ever.

not an aftertime, dont kill me bbv I have children
                                                                                                              Last edited by Solksjaer!; 05-09-17, 18:57. Reason: ooops just as I posted :-0 Austria conceded,

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                                                                possibly the worst 11/2 shot ever.

not an aftertime, dont kill me bbv I have children
                                                                                                                Though Wales and Austia were certs and was getting 11/2 on a 2/1 shot. Doesn't seem that way at the minute.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                                  What resort did you end up going to ?
                                                                                                                  We're at The Mabely Grand Hotel which is the opposite side of the island to the airport and about 30Km from Zakynthos town

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                                                                    Though Wales and Austia were certs and was getting 11/2 on a 2/1 shot. Doesn't seem that way at the minute.
                                                                                                                    Was more Ireland I was cynical about.

Comment

Would have ripped Georgia apart if we played half as well as this on Saturday ffs

Comment

That was the footballing equivalent of a good game of thrones throat slash,what a rocket

Comment

Roll on European multi city 20

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X