Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
    You bein jerks is not my fault.
    Ah sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
      Ah sorry.
      Thank you....I wuv you ..i know that's too far ...but I get emotional after online spats cuz i am 100% mental ...

I wuv ya Bollix!

Comment

Thank you....I wuv you ..i know that's too far ...but I get emotional after online spats cuz i am 100% mental ...

I wuv ya Bollix!
        . I don't want to be a milkman any more Ted.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
          They are an excellent measure of intelligence m8
          I know some very stupid people who have high IQ tests from when they were kids that they still talk about. Dull people who now only know whats on netflix rather than having an interesting area to discuss and educate me. It is a factor but needs to be coupled with drive to study and learn.

Tar is correct that there can be slightly differing hiring standards for women in tech but not nearly as much as people think and not in the same way. The argument is incredible flawed because it ignores any exploration of hiring criteria simply putting it down to the one area that he is good. Well except for demanding more diversity for his ideas and being punished for not being socially left - fair point but the fact he cannot apply the same to his gender bias is nuts especially when how we are raised effects our politics just as much as our likely career paths.

When you guys start being involved in hiring and leading teams you will find out that an interview is not just based on technical ability but also covers off company culture, team fit and how they approach problem solving - you generally dont want everyone doing the exact same thing in R&D or you will only get one result and a massively gay Christmas party.

Obv I am still not agreeing that women are genetically incapable of being top end SWE's . The bottom rungs of software engineers is also mainly made up of men as a result of their just being more men coming out of college. Those companies that write shit code for poorly designed products, in badly run teams and crash and burn - most likely 100% men.

Comment

It's so grim when someone brings up their leaving cert or IQ results.

Comment

Do you guys really think a test which measures your complex abstract reasoning ability wouldn't also provide a good measure of your computer programming ability? Computer programming consists entirely of complex abstract reasoning!

And you can say "Oh well software engineering requires more than just programming abillity". Of course it does, but it also requires programming ability. You won't be able to get to the point where all the other skills matter until you have mastered that first basic skill. The absolute best measure of ability to master that skill is IQ. It's not a perfect measure, and it's not the be-all-and-end-all, but it's a basic requirement for working at the level we're talking about.
              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                Your still under 30, just wait until a guy close to his 40's does it to validate why they should be in mgt of a top company not assistant mgr of a bar bidding his time and considering options.

Comment

Guys why are you all such pricks to me? Is it cuz I am female ..or what?

Or just because i think for myself and you are secretly intimidated?
                  You should notice by now that everyone takes turns being pricks to each other.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                    Do you guys really think a test which measures your complex abstract reasoning ability wouldn't also provide a good measure of your computer programming ability? Computer programming consists entirely of complex abstract reasoning!

And you can say "Oh well software engineering requires more than just programming abillity". Of course it does, but it also requires programming ability. You won't be able to get to the point where all the other skills matter until you have mastered that first basic skill. The absolute best measure of ability to master that skill is IQ. It's not a perfect measure, and it's not the be-all-and-end-all, but it's a basic requirement for working at the level we're talking about.
                    I genuinely think the mistake those who are not playing out an Alt Right agenda but still getting it wrong on this issue is a gross misunderstanding of what makes a good engineer.
                    Its also probable that for a number of years Google in were making this mistake on a massive scale.

IQ is not a specific part of the picture that I look at in hiring SWE's in technical interviews. I use domain specific code on a printed page that is, on the surface completely abstract, so while no one can even begin to answer the questions without demonstrating that they are proficient in the domain it's how they talk about the answers that matters. Someone who writes down right answers gets full marks but does not get hired unless they can articulate the nuances and implications of their answers. Some of the questions have a spectrum of answers and the super high IQ guys invariably have problems there. There is one where I present a function and ask them to name it you could almost plot a graph of how terribad the names they come up with are as a straight line against IQ. Simple as it is, it's more or less a disqualifying question if during conversation about the answer they don't come to understand what the right answer is.

Of course as well as measuring how good at doing IQ tests someone is they do to some extent point towards general ability in the area, that's what school and college are for and perhaps are where diversity issues should be tackled, but more or less everyone who would ever be qualified enough to interview will be will well capable of. Finding people who are smart enough is so small a part of the problem of building a great SWE team that it isn't really a specific consideration.
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Rachel Riley is good at and has nice stats.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                        Rachel Riley is good at and has nice stats.
                        we love to watch her count.

Comment

I would guess that within normal ranges, IQ probably has about as much predictive power about how good an engineer someone will be as gutting a chicken and reading its entrails.

Comment

On a different topic, I finally got around to watching 'Into the Wild' the last night - some movie.

Comment

Flicking through irishjobs the other day, a number of these.

2.1 and 450 in the LC

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                Flicking through irishjobs the other day, a number of these.

2.1 and 450 in the LC
                                How many points needed for the graduate course?

Sounds like its formulated to only take graduates from certain colleges.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                    On a different topic, I finally got around to watching 'Into the Wild' the last night - some movie.
                                    I am an old woman, take after my mother.

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                        We're kinda fcked if IQ tests don't measure intelligence as the Leaving Cert is a glorified IQ test and that determines how we spend a billion a year on allocating third level education places.

Ditto for just about every education system.
                                        The leaving cert is a good indicator of who will work hard enough to get through the tougher college courses as it shows an ability to study.

Yes go get 600 points you need to be smart but more so you need to lock yourself away with past papers and practice.

Straight IQ tests don't measure effort which the leaving cert does. Effort counts for more and more as you progress through life until experience counts for more.

Natural ability if not tempered with either drive to succeed or a genuine interest is pretty useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                          How many points needed for the graduate course?

Sounds like its formulated to only take graduates from certain colleges.
                                          No points needed but a GMAT was required and an undergrad in business etc.

I applied pretty early and leaned on the work experience because I wouldn't have got it simply on my undergrad

Comment

Lol ,this is a bit much
                                            He's not doing himself any favours with some of the "media orgs "he is grantinginterviews to

Comment

We need more Pole Vault girl, if she had of been aborted, the world would be a much worse place

Comment

Wimmin should have access to free false teeth after menopause .

Preserve their right to chews.

*already have coat on

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                  Can we not just go back and discuss abortion
                                                  People who re pro-abortion need to stop using the world child, you cannot say that it only becomes alive when born and call the fetus a child every second sentence!

Anyhu...

SWJ's tend to be pro or anti everything; what happens if you are pro-abortion and anti choosing to abort disabled kids?

1. Woman chooses to abort; YA you go girl!

2. Woman chooses to abort due to signs that child is disabled; BOO you are a child murder! -even though it's not a child due to my other opinions but it is a child because you are an evil fuck!

3. Woman finds out late that she is pregnant, is considering an abortion, leaning towards abortion but cannot decide, then finds out about possible disability and goes with it;----???
                                                  Ya you go girl Monday to Wednesday; BOO child murder Thursday to Saturday with Sunday off... Unless you are a frothing at the mouth atheist, then you YA/BOO on alternative weeks!?

Comment

Comment

Comment

On a slightly different note, it's mad how it's socially acceptable to chop off a bit of a baby boys penis for religious reasons. If it was Africans rather than Jews doing it it'd be viewed as the most shocking form of child abuse.

Comment

Nuff of all this guff

Paddy Power Hotshotjackpot seems to have been shortened from 8 teams to 6

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                            Nuff of all this guff

Paddy Power Hotshotjackpot seems to have been shortened from 8 teams to 6
                                                            1st goalscorer now though, wasn't it always anytime scorer?

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                              1st goalscorer now though, wasn't it always anytime scorer?
                                                              aaahhh.... sneaky bastards, too many winners last season!

Comment

On a slightly different note, it's mad how it's socially acceptable to chop off a bit of a baby boys penis for religious reasons. If it was Africans rather than Jews doing it it'd be viewed as the most shocking form of child abuse.
                                                                I've no idea of the numbers, but anecdotally it seems a few fair people get it down as adults for medical reason, so fairly defensible. What happens girls on the other hand is entirely different.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                  Your still under 30, just wait until a guy close to his 40's does it to validate why they should be in mgt of a top company not assistant mgr of a bar bidding his time and considering options.
                                                                  I just got a CV in from somebody in their 40's and the CV includes not just the Leaving Cert results but also their Inter Cert results

That aside, it reads like a good CV and they seem to have a lot of experience in the areas we need it in

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                    I just got a CV in from somebody in their 40's and the CV includes not just the Leaving Cert results but also their Inter Cert results

That aside, it reads like a good CV and they seem to have a lot of experience in the areas we need it in
                                                                    If you saw mine i would be putting the Inter results first...
                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

I've no idea of the numbers, but anecdotally it seems a few fair people get it down as adults for medical reason, so fairly defensible. What happens girls on the other hand is entirely different.
                                                                      My oul lad had it done a couple years ago - was gas at the time.

I was telling my mates to ensure they give him a good slagging and a bunch of them were circumsized too.

Couple days later my Dad comes home with a whatsapp message on his phone.

Group Name - The Three Skinners.
                                                                      "Welcome to the crew Ger"

lol.
                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Inter Cert. That in itself is grim.
                                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Comment

Seems fairly unusual of nature to give us something useless.
                                                                            Appendix, male nipples, tailbone

Comment

You,should probably be sound and tell them

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                Appendix, male nipples, tailbone
                                                                                Richie Boyd Barrett

Comment

...

Comment

Seems fairly unusual of nature to give us something useless.
                                                                                    It's absolutely not useless, it protects your head. Medical reasons would just be something like phimosis where it is too tight, and is actually treatable if people looked out for it.

Comment

eh, Africans do it too. And Muslims!

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Wal Mart back to school specials

You could not make this shit up

Comment

VERY LAST CALL for the IPB FPL.

20 minutes until cut-off for main and H2H leagues to lord it over your fellow IPBer's.

If you have a team and you're online now sorting out and not in the leagues ask yourself this

Where has your life gone wrong?
                                                                                          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Two weeks in the wine capital of the world starting tomorrow.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                  Two weeks in the wine capital of the world starting tomorrow.

Cassidy?

Don't drink and fly now, cops are everywhere

Comment

Bad game to be facing Mahrez, he's gonna turn the magic on to force the big fee for his move.
                                                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Boom !
                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Jasus...
                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Arsenals season ended early this year

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                            Boom !
                                                                                                            I hope thats something to do with football and not Trump

Comment

That's an objectively retarded group of countries colored in red there, on so many counts!
                                                                                                              Weren't you praising the Jews a few days back for their superior intellect?
                                                                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Chicken and chips for tea Strewel
                                                                                                                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Banter View Post
                                                                                                                    Chicken and chips for tea Strewel
                                                                                                                    Fish pie, very tasty

Comment

Finding Snowflake an odd show. Every week I find myself double checking that I haven't skipped an episode.

Comment

Has no one else watched Glow I'm only a few episodes in so far its very good .

Comment

'Nearly going in, through the tradesmans entrance', Peter Alliss commentating on the PGA. In 2017. Wowsers.
                                                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X