Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
    I agree with the people who said small babies are essentially just needy lumps with no payback at all apart from the unerring cuteness and some contented cuddles just after feeds mostly. I'm looking forward to the more interactive phases of things.
    The apple didnt fall far from the tree then (although you lack the cuteness and cuddles)

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
      The apple didnt fall far from the tree then (although you lack the cuteness and cuddles)
      I'm sure I've given you a cuddle Kev.

Comment

I agree with the people who said small babies are essentially just needy lumps with no payback at all apart from the unerring cuteness and some contented cuddles just after feeds mostly. I'm looking forward to the more interactive phases of things.
        Get a baby carrier and get out for a walk with him. Something great about them falling asleep on you and giving Mammy a break.
        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

I'm right about everything.

Comment

Moloughneys or The Pigeon House. Preference for the latter but neither is great. Ideally buy a bottle in O'Briens and knacker drink it with chips from Beshoffs.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I really hope this is true:

Scaramucci going on Stephen Colbert's show Monday

He is absolute box office

Comment

Come back in 18 months with a full report.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                      ^^ il consider that.

Google is throwing up Octopussys in Howth, a seafood Tapas bar which seems interesting. Anyone been there?
                      Myself and V went there once (you were meant to be there too but think you had cried off for job interview) when some cricket match was rained off in Clontarf. I've been a few more times.

They're a little bit more inventive than the Oar House next door but I would rate the Oar House better myself. Personally think there is little difference between all the fish joints in Howth! If you're taking one of the harem, go to Aqua for atmosphere\views.

Comment

where does one go for a bit of nice food and a glass of vino after an evening stroll in Clontarf?
                        Oh, I missed that you were looking for Clontarf. (note: read threads down, not up).

Fishbone is good (where the wooden bridge is). Ask for a table with a bay view.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                          I'm right about everything.
                          GTFO

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                            Oh, I missed that you were looking for Clontarf. (note: read threads down, not up).

Fishbone is good (where the wooden bridge is). Ask for a table with a bay view.
                            Is The ,Red Door in Skerries still thought of as the best seafood around?

Hankering for a seafood night now after that post. You know any more?
                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                              Is The ,Red Door in Skerries still thought of as the best seafood around?

Hankering for a seafood night now after that post. You know any more?
                              I've only been there once and thought it was on a par with Aqua, King Sitric etc. Nice setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                @5star
                                Hitch, that reminds me of Dante Inferno concept.

Check out a book called Dante's Equation by Jane Jenson. Found it to be a great read.
                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

@5star
                                  . Stealing this .

Comment

Any suggestions for leopardstown tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                      Any suggestions for leopardstown tonight?
                                      Getting the fuck out before Sister Sledge come on.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                        Getting the fuck out before Sister Sledge come on.
                                        Pfft, I love disco

Comment

1 spot up for grabs in Premier League Competition if anyone interested. See thread.

Comment

On the topic of Seafood I was in Morans of Kilcolgan last Friday. A proper feast was had and I am itching to get back.
                                            Also on a seafood theme Mussel in Glasgow's seafood platter was fantastic, they are also in Edinburgh.
                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Good morning folks, hope you are all keeping well.
                                              'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Pics or have I missed?

And agree with V said, as tough as it is for the dads, the mums do get the short straw in this one. Take the little one out in a carry thing, great bonding and make sure there is NO housework needing to be done so that herself goes for a sleep. Because I know, from each time I had a baby, any "me time" I was given meant I ran about doing housework instead of resting (prob why I bust my section wound with the last 2 lol)

OR

Run her a lovely bath one evening, take the little one some place so she can't even hear it cry and let her relax.

@5star
                                                I love my kids etc, but all the BS I see on FB with all these people pretending that they are the best mothers in the world and how they make them complete, can't live without them for a second and that they bake cookies and shit. Bollocks! Happyness is when the little shits go to bed and you can relax for a bit
                                                Last edited by MrsFlushdraw; 10-08-17, 12:26.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post

I love my kids etc, but all the BS I see on FB with all these people pretending that they are the best mothers in the world and how they make them complete, can't live without them for a second and that they bake cookies and shit. Bollocks! Happyness is when the little shits go to bed and you can relax for a bit
                                                  I have mates on FB and I know their kids are completely off the wall and never give them a minutes peace (pretty sure my own fellow is heading that way ). Then I see the FB pictures of the perfect family with "Bliss" or other such shit posted with it and I lol. That's why I love Shrap's honesty (think its Shrap ??) when it comes to kids.

Comment

As predicted Damore is not so much concerned with gender diversity as racial.
                                                    Also his entire case is built on what he calls 'super secret, undocumented practices' rather than the published diversity policy or even the pseudo science he links too.

Assange and him will make a great team

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                      I have mates on FB and I know their kids are completely off the wall and never give them a minutes peace (pretty sure my own fellow is heading that way ). Then I see the FB pictures of the perfect family with "Bliss" or other such shit posted with it and I lol. That's why I love Shrap's honesty (think its Shrap ??) when it comes to kids.
                                                      In fairness one is manageable after a while it's the folks with 2 & 3 very young kids who need their heads examined!

One of the guys at the office here has twins and a new baby all under 2. He doesn't miss a beat in the office and is in the middle of buying a new house. His Mrs must be superwoman! Plus he's a legend obviously. He even managed to get in a ski trip with the lads a week after the baby was born in January. Clearly I'm doing it wrong!
                                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                        As predicted Damore is not so much concerned with gender diversity as racial.
                                                        Also his entire case is built on what he calls 'super secret, undocumented practices' rather than the published diversity policy or even the pseudo science he links too.

Assange and him will make a great team
                                                        link?
                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                          In fairness one is manageable after a while it's the folks with 2 & 3 very young kids who need their heads examined!

One of the guys at the office here has twins and a new baby all under 2. He doesn't miss a beat in the office and is in the middle of buying a new house. His Mrs must be superwoman! Plus he's a legend obviously. He even managed to get in a ski trip with the lads a week after the baby was born in January. Clearly I'm doing it wrong!
                                                          i know a good few people like that. Funnily enough, a lot of them have taken up ultra running, basically training non stop before and after work and then running 50 to 100 k races on the week end.

the way i see it, they'd rather do anything other than staying at home looking after screaming, moaning little people!!

Comment

Comment

Comment

I believe North Korea has a missile capable of hitting New York.

If it can make it there, it can make it anywhere.

Comment

Started watching that Icarus doc on Netflix, looks pretty good.

Comment

My oldest two have had 4 weeks away in Ireland so I have only had one kid at home. I am working full time but get my hours split so I can evade childcare costs. But all I can say, I have sort of missed the other two but REALLY enjoyed the peace and quiet.

The 16.5 year old is a female and an absolute bitch to anyone that speaks to her (Parents included) UNLESS she wants something. She causes most fights in the house and I honestly look forward to the day she moves out

That may make me look like a bad mother, but I am being an honest one and I am sure a lot of folks that have had females teens have gone through the same thoughts.

The young fella (almost 15) has given me very little trouble at all.
                                                                    The youngest is and has always been the easiest to rear. She is good fun, very polite and easily amuses herself so I can work from home when needed.

Comment

Pics or have I missed?

And agree with V said, as tough as it is for the dads, the mums do get the short straw in this one. Take the little one out in a carry thing, great bonding and make sure there is NO housework needing to be done so that herself goes for a sleep. Because I know, from each time I had a baby, any "me time" I was given meant I ran about doing housework instead of resting (prob why I bust my section wound with the last 2 lol)

OR

Run her a lovely bath one evening, take the little one some place so she can't even hear it cry and let her relax.

Here he is in one of his cuter moments. I think he's on the phone. Boobs in the pic are not mine, fyi.

SPOILER

She slept in a separate room last night to get some unbroken sleep for the first time in a good while, and I did all the feeding. He has been mostly ok at night, going back to sleep generally after feed/changes. She's still quite sore, but hopefully by the time I'm back to work on Monday week she is a lot stronger. I'm doing all I can anyhow until then.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                        link?
                                                                        [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEDuVF7kiPU&feature=youtu.be /url]

Comment

where does one go for a bit of nice food and a glass of vino after an evening stroll in Clontarf?

I quite like The Pigeon House. It's been a while since I've been for dinner but I go there fairly regularly for brunch and it's always good.

Moloughneys is also good but have only been there for lunch.

Neither are michelin star quality but both are very good neighbourhood restauarants

Comment

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEDuVF7kiPU&feature=youtu.be /url]
                                                                            lol. Did you watch this at all or did you summarise a summary of a summary?
                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Here he is in one of his cuter moments. I think he's on the phone. Boobs in the pic are not mine, fyi.

SPOILER

She slept in a separate room last night to get some unbroken sleep for the first time in a good while, and I did all the feeding. He has been mostly ok at night, going back to sleep generally after feed/changes. She's still quite sore, but hopefully by the time I'm back to work on Monday week she is a lot stronger. I'm doing all I can anyhow until then.
                                                                              He is gorgeous and he looks like he has more hair than you

Sounds like you doing a great job for the good lady. Was a section in the end wasn't it? it really is a tough recovery. I wanted to drive before the 6 weeks were up but Tony was having none of it!

I was lucky that I was in Dublin for the first few weeks due to high Bilarubin levels and we couldn't go back to Donegal, so had the inlaws there to help me as Tony was working still in Mulhuddart.

Comment

lol. Did you watch this at all or did you summarise a summary of a summary?
                                                                                Listened to almost all of the whiny entitled self pity fest.

Did I miss the bit where he explained exactly which biological differences between races and genders have even the slightest little bit to do with SWE at Google
                                                                                Last edited by Strewelpeter; 10-08-17, 14:16.

Comment

He is gorgeous and he looks like he has more hair than you

Sounds like you doing a great job for the good lady. Was a section in the end wasn't it? it really is a tough recovery. I wanted to drive before the 6 weeks were up but Tony was having none of it!

I was lucky that I was in Dublin for the first few weeks due to high Bilarubin levels and we couldn't go back to Donegal, so had the inlaws there to help me as Tony was working still in Mulhuddart.
                                                                                  Ya, emergency section, all happened very fast in the end once they decided the babies heartbeat was distressed.

Apart from the fact that we don't really know what's what for the most part yet, everything is going well all in all.

Comment

Ya, emergency section, all happened very fast in the end once they decided the babies heartbeat was distressed.

Apart from the fact that we don't really know what's what for the most part yet, everything is going well all in all.
                                                                                    Yup, they don't come with an instruction manual attached to their arses, and everyone of them is different.

As long as you remember goods in (top) goods out (bottom) you will be grand

Comment

Listened to almost all of the whiny entitled self pity fest.

Did I miss the bit where he explained exactly which biological differences between races and genders have even the slightest little bit to do with SWE at Google
                                                                                      All the info you need is in all of his citations already. Dr Peterson provides even better citations and even takes the time to point out which of Damore's points are stronger and which are weaker in their basis of evidence.

Just the observable differences in interests are more than enough to explain some of the gender disparity in tech and engineering. You don't even have to venture into the trickier areas of differences in aptitudes to find that the guy's points are utterly validated by the prevailing scientific concensus.

Comment

Getting off the flight from Munich at the moment and thwre is a passport control at the door of the airport, seems a bit odd. This a common practice eamo?
                                                                                        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Get a baby carrier and get out for a walk with him. Something great about them falling asleep on you and giving Mammy a break.
                                                                                          yup. One of life's greatest joys for me is my daughter falling asleep in my arms.
                                                                                          Just as long as the remote is in reach.
                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I dunno, I dont really get this level of thinking.
                                                                                            I've had ample opportunities to head off for a weekend or go on the lash several days in a row and to be honest, I'd rather be at home changing nappies (while making up a song so she stays on the mat), crawling around, swimming and other such daddy things. Don't get me wrong, I love a few pints the odd night and love the moment of zen/peace when she goes to bed for the evening. Just think that shooting off for a week or so is a pretty shitty thing to do...
                                                                                            Interesting test ahead as herself is away for the weekend.
                                                                                            I'll probably drastically change my mind
                                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

...

Comment

Perfect toilet reading

Comment

Also on a seafood theme Mussel in Glasgow's seafood platter was fantastic, they are also in Edinburgh.
                                                                                                  Have a stag yoke in Edinburgh in few weeks, might try this out.

Comment

All the info you need is in all of his citations already. Dr Peterson provides even better citations and even takes the time to point out which of Damore's points are stronger and which are weaker in their basis of evidence.

Just the observable differences in interests are more than enough to explain some of the gender disparity in tech and engineering. You don't even have to venture into the trickier areas of differences in aptitudes to find that the guy's points are utterly validated by the prevailing scientific concensus.
                                                                                                    I'm shocked if you really believe that.

The pseudo science is pointing to minor differences in an entire population, There is no evidence there pointing to anything that makes whiny entitled white boys better at writing code than any other group.

As for why it might be a good thing to have teams made up of people who are not just whiny entitled nerds... I mean, do you really believe Google have a 'super secret' policy of hiring people not capable of doing their jobs just to look politically correct?

Again I'll ask you to point me to anyone with answers to the questions put by many real scientists and articulated here by PZ Myers

Yes, there are real biological differences. But what are they?

Name these universal differences. Which ones are relevant to working as an engineer at Google? Do you realize that engineering, Google, and even working are socially constructed concepts? I rather doubt that we evolved sex differences in being able to code in Java or Python.

Which of these differences have clear biological causes linked to prenatal testosterone? I can think of a few: gonadal differentiation and formation of the external genitalia. Unless you’re banging out code with your testicles these are not relevant to working as an engineer at Google. The factors that do affect competence at engineering do not have clear biological causes.

“Biological” (I am learning to hate that modifier in these contexts) males that were not castrated at birth may still identify and act like females, whatever that means. What does it mean to act like a male or female? Do you realize that those terms are largely socially constructed?

Which traits are highly heritable? Producing sperm? Excessive body hair? Liking to watch football? Are these relevant to working as an engineer at Google, and what makes you think they’re exclusive to “biological” males?

Since the whole point of evolutionary psychology is to make up evidence to justify the status quo, that is a true statement, since EP predicts everything after the fact. It’s just not much of an endorsement to cite quack science in favor of your claims.
                                                                                                    I agree that sex differences aren’t just socially constructed. If you’re born with a penis (a biological property), you will experience a different social environment than if you’re born with a vagina, or if you’re born intersex. You will then experience a cascade of influences that shape how you think about the world, including how you think about sex, and sometimes you’re born with, or acquire responses to gender that do not match narrow preconceptions about how men and women should be. It is flatly absurd to try and reduce the factors that make up a human being to “biological” or “social”.
                                                                                                    If you don't have those answers I suggest you stick to the comments section of Peterson's YouTube channel, they could so with a bit more self validation

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                                      Have a stag yoke in Edinburgh in few weeks, might try this out.
                                                                                                      If its in August I'd be booking anything you want to do there well in advance, Edinburgh is packed solid for the entire month with the festival going on.

Comment

"
                                                                                                        Indeed, psychological studies show that there are only the tiniest gaps, if any, between the sexes, including areas such as mathematical ability and verbal fluency. Navigating this complicated field for my latest book, Inferior: How Science Got Women Wrong, I was told by a prominent American researcher into sex difference that he no longer refers to brains as sexually dimorphic, because the science simply doesn’t support this. There isn’t a neuroscientist alive who can say with confidence which sex any given brain belongs to."

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                          https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rence-eugenics

"
                                                                                                          Indeed, psychological studies show that there are only the tiniest gaps, if any, between the sexes, including areas such as mathematical ability and verbal fluency. Navigating this complicated field for my latest book, Inferior: How Science Got Women Wrong, I was told by a prominent American researcher into sex difference that he no longer refers to brains as sexually dimorphic, because the science simply doesn’t support this. There isn’t a neuroscientist alive who can say with confidence which sex any given brain belongs to."
                                                                                                          That quote is junk. Complete trash. One unnamed source does not bring down an entire field of research. My comparison to climate change deniers continues to be cromulent. You're better than this, HJ.

SP: Your quote is a load of post-modernist what-is-even-truth-and-does-it-even-matter bullshit that isn't worthy of acknowledging never mind taking the time to respond to.

Comment

I'm shocked if you really believe that.

The pseudo science is pointing to minor differences in an entire population, There is no evidence there pointing to anything that makes whiny entitled white boys better at writing code than any other group.

As for why it might be a good thing to have teams made up of people who are not just whiny entitled nerds... I mean, do you really believe Google have a 'super secret' policy of hiring people not capable of doing their jobs just to look politically correct?

Again I'll ask you to point me to anyone with answers to the questions put by many real scientists and articulated here by PZ Myers

If you don't have those answers I suggest you stick to the comments section of Peterson's YouTube channel, they could so with a bit more self validation
                                                                                                            Do you have a link to the PZ Myers article?
                                                                                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                                                              Getting off the flight from Munich at the moment and thwre is a passport control at the door of the airport, seems a bit odd. This a common practice eamo?
                                                                                                              Don't get what you mean? At the front door of Dublin airport? Or as you get of the flight?
                                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

That quote is junk. Complete trash. One unnamed source does not bring down an entire field of research. My comparison to climate change deniers continues to be cromulent. You're better than this, HJ.

SP: Your quote is a load of post-modernist what-is-even-truth-and-does-it-even-matter bullshit that isn't worthy of acknowledging never mind taking the time to respond to.
                                                                                                                I'm not pretending to be an expert, but its hardly as cut and dried as you make out if the Guardian are publishing an article like that basically rubbishing the claims.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                                                  Spent the day in the zoo with the two brats. If love is measured on a 1-100 scale it deffo bounced between 10 and 90 a LOT. Currently in a restaurant and bordering on a minus figure. If the missus puts a "Bliss" post up on FB it will be called out...

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                                    I'm not pretending to be an expert, but its hardly as cut and dried as you make out if the Guardian are publishing an article like that basically rubbishing the claims.

Comment

Not working anyway if they do!

Comment

Man, HJ has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                                          Don't get what you mean? At the front door of Dublin airport? Or as you get of the flight?
                                                                                                                          They brought up 2 stairs to the front and back, nothing happens for like 2 minutes then an announcement that once we get off the flight there will be a passport control check. So literally the second we left the door there was a guy just looking at all of the passports, then we had the normal one a bit later too, they are checking every plane these days as well?
                                                                                                                          no more smuggling for me
                                                                                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X