Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Absolutely loving and enthralled by Sapiens, and based on the goodreads ratings the rest of the world is too. Such an excellent book.

Fantastic. As is sequel Homo Deus
    airport, lol

Comment

Mate here did Mayo to win both halves on a shop special at 7/4 (10/11 online). Asked multiple times was there a max bet and told no but not convinced he'll get paid. Anyone else see it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
        Mate here did Mayo to win both halves on a shop special at 7/4 (10/11 online). Asked multiple times was there a max bet and told no but not convinced he'll get paid. Anyone else see it?
        How much did he bet? Why would he not be paid?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
          How much did he bet? Why would he not be paid?
          He got 400 on but normally there'd be a 100 max on those specials

Comment

He got 400 on but normally there'd be a 100 max on those specials
            Tell him to go collect and find out.
            Profit before people.

Comment

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 has dropped online for anyone looking for some hangover fodder.

Opr

Comment

Such a shame about Thomas Barr, he must be gutted.
                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                  Tell him to go collect and find out.
                  True. He did it in Parnell stret so will prob collect somewhere else in a few days though.

Was just wondering if anyone else had done it and got knocked for a max bet. Serious price.

Comment

True. He did it in Parnell stret so will prob collect somewhere else in a few days though.
                    Anything like that I'd be straight down to collect and if I don't get paid take my time about fighting it out with them.
                    I doubt it would make any difference where you go to collect.
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                      Bit of an oversimplistic analysis - what if it takes 10 minutes of play before the 'natural break', (Barca can play possession for that long), what happens to any yellow or red card offences during this fake playtime if the game gets reset to the previous incident. All things which are yet to be addressed.
                      I'd expect the Ref would be able to blow a free kick in favour of the team in possession if there is no reset from TMO.
                      I thought they would allow Managers a small number of reviews per game.
                      Red and yellow cards could be an issue ok, I'd leave them stand TBH.

Good to see coming in, long overdue.

Comment

Obligatory annual wine harvest pic:

SPOILER

plus about ten more boxes of various culinary delights.

Now faced with the annual "I coulda fitted more" remorse.

SPOILER

Thanks to for funding it all.
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

SPOILER

SPOILER

What you say you're address was again???
                          Get Ole up too.#feast
                          Zutroy can fly us all home
                          Her sky-ness
                          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                            What you say you're address was again???
                            Get Ole up too.#feast
                            Zutroy can fly us all home
                            Whenever ole schedules his IPB BBQ (ideally clashing with a decent Munster home game), I'll be there in force.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                              'Icarus' is well worth a watch.

Opr
                              Enjoyed the arse injections
                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

This is from the shop I bought 'the daycent schtuff' in:

SPOILER

I bought GAB a case of the 2005 to celebrate his ascension to the apex of PPB but he let me down. Guess I'll have to lash into it with a packet of Tayto and some nachos one of these nights.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                  Thanks, but Dr Smurfit shipped me a case of it recently so I'm good.
                                  Now we both know Mike don't share....

Comment

SPOILER

SPOILER

Any amphibolite in there?

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                      Any amphibolite in there?
                                      Couldn't find it. There's a case of Picpoul de Pinet though so thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                        I thought they would allow Managers a small number of reviews per game.
                                        I think this will eventually happen.
                                        I'm not sure I'd be a fan of it though - we see in cricket and NFL how its inherently biased in favour of the team who gets the original decision as you need conclusive proof to overturn, anything marginal stays as is.

Comment

BBC discussion of the Caster Semenya 'problem' was extremely tilting
                                          No mention of Lindsay Sharpe needing a good kick in the gee.

The logic that follows from making her take testosterone reducing drugs is mind boggling!

Comment

The logic that follows from making her take testosterone reducing drugs is mind boggling!
                                            That actually pissed me off. Wish they'd stfu about that stuff. I hope she wins now lol

Comment

Whenever ole schedules his IPB BBQ (ideally clashing with a decent Munster home game), I'll be there in force.
                                              Bit like the old joke.
                                              "You'll need to head down to cork so."
                                              "Is that where oleras lives?"
                                              "No but it's where the q ends"

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                Bit like the old joke.
                                                "You'll need to head down to cork so."
                                                "Is that where oleras lives?"
                                                "No but it's where the q ends"
                                                It would be more in your line now starting the football competition again

Ill keep you a sausage.
                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

You know you are in bad shape argument wise when the Daily Mail is the voice of tolerance!

MATT LAWTON AT THE LONDON STADIUM: Semenya has hyperandrogenism, a medical condition characterised by excessive levels of male sex hormones.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                    I have spent 3 of the last 4 weeks sleeping in a tent. And will be again towards the end of the month. Been on retreat, have I missed anything the last couple of weeks?
                                                    Central heating?

Comment

IN

Nearest airport to ole's gaff?

Comment

Nearest stretch of grass zuutroy will set us down on
                                                        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Banter View Post
                                                          Nearest stretch of grass zuutroy will set us down on
                                                          Once it's 1000 m long and perfectly manicured, sure!

Comment

Australian computer sez Irish vet not talk bonzer, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                              I will have the staff prepare the west lawn.
                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

This is from the shop I bought 'the daycent schtuff' in:

SPOILER

I bought GAB a case of the 2005 to celebrate his ascension to the apex of PPB but he let me down. Guess I'll have to lash into it with a packet of Tayto and some nachos one of these nights.
                                                                Could have sworn I saw that on my local Lidl
                                                                I honestly wouldn't even know where to start looking at that.
                                                                Paying €5 for a €20 bottle I can do. Paying €80 for a €200 bottle I don't think I would as I wouldn't be knowledgeable enough to know what's worth it.
                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                  13th hole at Old Conna, the card says it's 562 yards but I am sure it's gotta be 1000 or more, at least that's what it feels like anytime I play it. Might have a couple of bunkers to negotiate but I can confirm perfectly manicured.

Comment

The room I was suppose to be renting next year is possibly no longer available. Suggestions on locations to look at within 20-30 mins walk from Grafton street. I was looking at a budget of 600-650?

Comment

the Google’s Ideological Echo Chamber memo is a staggering insight into the mindset of the unfortunate persecuted ,overeducated, overemployed and overpaid white American male.

Judging from the reaction of Brietbart, Assange et al it appears to be a legitimate insight into what has been going on in the heads of that percentage of Trump supporters that are literate... De emphasise empathy

The memo

A fairly gentle takedown from someone who recently left Google
                                                                      You have probably heard about the manifesto a Googler (not someone senior) published internally about, essentially, how women and men are…

Comment

the Google’s Ideological Echo Chamber memo is a staggering insight into the mindset of the unfortunate persecuted ,overeducated, overemployed and overpaid white American male.

Judging from the reaction of Brietbart, Assange et al it appears to be a legitimate insight into what has been going on in the heads of that percentage of Trump supporters that are literate... De emphasise empathy

The memo

A fairly gentle takedown from someone who recently left Google
                                                                        https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/so...o-1e3773ed1788
                                                                        He's right about pretty much all of it. Hope that helps.
                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

?

Original video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXZSeiAl4PIJordan B. Peterson's videos:https://www.youtube.com/user/JordanPetersonVideos/videos

?

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                            The room I was suppose to be renting next year is possibly no longer available. Suggestions on locations to look at within 20-30 mins walk from Grafton street. I was looking at a budget of 600-650?
                                                                            Rathmines or Harold's cross. 15 minutes walk to Whelans
                                                                            Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                              I dunno how right or wrong he is but I do know his delivery is fucking terrible.

I won't deny some of the ideas have merit, the restrictiveness of some programs designed to help you advance at google only open to women/minorities. Yeah I can see how that would rankle.
                                                                              However, if you expose in your memo how a sizable % of your colleagues are unable to do their jobs or are somehow inferior, I can see how a software company, which requires teams of people working together will eliminate the element causing the most distortion.
                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Lao Lao v's Revenue - Part 2

After the Parcel Motel option for bringing wine in was firmly closed, I looked into a few other options but nothing came to light that would work.

There was a particular Austrian Pinot Noir that I really wanted to get my hands on but nobody in Dublin or Ireland was stocking it so I decided to just buy direct from the vineyard and pay the Duty/VAT applicable.

Any retail price I could find on-line was EUR€80 a bottle and that didn't inlcude getting it shipped to Ireland. By buying direct (including transport and Duty/Vat), I was getting it for EUR€55 a bottle so it was a no brainer really.

Wine arrives in and Customs seize it and I get a letter advising of same but I can appeal it. In true civil service fashion, the only way to appeal is by writing a letter and posting it, no email / phone appeals can be done. Outcome of the appeal is that once I pay the Duty/Vat (which I had always intended to do) I could collect the wine from the customs warehouse. They also only accept portal orders or bank drafts, no credit/debit card. So the long winded approach of several written letters by post, going to the post office for a postal order, arranging an appointment at the customs warehouse and driving to the port eventually worked.

Think I just need to go the Raoul route and take the car across to Europe!

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                                                                  Rathmines or Harold's cross. 15 minutes walk to Whelans
                                                                                  May add a 100 at least to the budget for either of those areas. I pay within that budget for my place in Stoneybatter but I wouldnt think you'd get much for the same there now
                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                    ?

?
                                                                                    The wimmin are good at pink stuff and should stick to that and stop trying to take our jobs

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                      I dunno how right or wrong he is but I do know his delivery is fucking terrible.

I won't deny some of the ideas have merit, the restrictiveness of some programs designed to help you advance at google only open to women/minorities. Yeah I can see how that would rankle.
                                                                                      However, if you expose in your memo how a sizable % of your colleagues are unable to do their jobs or are somehow inferior, I can see how a software company, which requires teams of people working together will eliminate the element causing the most distortion.
                                                                                      I think the delivery is indeed poor but the real problem was jumping straight too nature over nurture arguments. more women are studying tech courses in college now so the imbalance and drive for diversity will fade away as the courses move towards 50-50. The ethnic diversity is in the states socio economic rather than genetic so will take much longer. Look at other top tier professions such as law or medicine which are now more female than male.

He is however missing the huge piece that companies general work better when there is balance but picks up the same argument when discussing the echo chamber silencing all but the most left wing ideals.

It is this hypocracy that tags it as a deeply biased argument that is more a lash out against his own career not progressing.

There is a good argument to be made in the areas his peice discussed but he isn't making them.

fired was the only way this was going to go anyway and rightly so but I would probably also fire the women who needed to take time off because they were so upset that a coworker would think this way.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                        May add a 100 at least to the budget for either of those areas. I pay within that budget for my place in Stoneybatter but I wouldnt think you'd get much for the same there now
                                                                                        You're right it's looking like I'll need an extra 100e I'll probably be lucky to get all in for 800e a month that's assuming places will even take a student

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                          Yeah I'd imagine in that price range close to the city especially with colleges back soon, he'll be fighting off 100's of applicants for the most basic/smallest lets.
                                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

The wimmin are good at pink stuff and should stick to that and stop trying to take our jobs
                                                                                            I haven't read it but I know from excerpts that he literally said the opposite in it and that was grossly misrepresented in news:

I hope it's clear that I'm not saying that diversity is bad, that Google or society is 100% fair, that we shouldn't try to correct for existing biases, or that minorities have the same experience of those in the majority. My larger point is that we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don't fit a certain ideology. I'm also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I'm advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism).
                                                                                            So he basically said there needs to be more dialogue and gets fired, restricting intellectual discourse even if one dis/agreed with him.

He can probably sue and say he wouldn't have gotten fired if he was a woman.

here is the thing if anybody is arsed to look at it. https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...ho-Chamber.pdf

He posted the memo on an internal discussion thread that was specifically for people to talk about controversial ideas. Fairly stupid thing to do in your workplace aside but it will now serve no purpose but to get people to not talk at all. Unless their whole goal of these internal discussion board (Google was quite proud about their open discussion environment) was to catch one employee who thinks differently and fire them.
                                                                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 08-08-17, 14:18.

Comment

Uh, that's not what he said. Not even in the slightest. Did you even read it?
                                                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Im just asking for opinions on him

I know he has some controversy about him, is he one of these lads who takes a rational point and goes in a tangent or has he some decent views that people don't like?

As far as "pink stuff" in that video, pretty sure he says men in major boardrooms are psycho's hence where they are, not sure that's all women are "pinks stuff

The all women want kids type stuff is the reason im asking about him

Comment

● Women on average show a higher interest in people and men in things

● Women on average are more prone to anxiety

● Women on average look for more work-life balance while men have a higher drive for status on average

● The male gender role is currently inflexible

Comment

He said that women get stressed, can get only work in groups and are better with people than men who work solo, on machines and never crack. It's complete bollox.

Comment

Women, on average, have more:

Openness directed towards feelings and aesthetics rather than ideas. Women generally also have a stronger interest in people rather than things, relative to men (also interpreted as empathizing vs. systemizing). These two differences in part explain why women relatively prefer jobs in social or artistic areas. More men may like coding because it requires systemizing and even within SWEs, comparatively more women work on front end, which deals with both people and aesthetics. Extraversion expressed as gregariousness rather than assertiveness. Also, higher agreeableness. This leads to women generally having a harder time negotiating salary, asking for raises, speaking up, and leading.
                                                                                                      So...men are better at coding and women are not predisposed to leading.
                                                                                                      ...

Comment

. Considering women spend more money than men
                                                                                                        ?

Comment

Oh I get it, he is implying the people he's talking about are superior?

● Programs, mentoring, and classes only for people with a certain gender or race
                                                                                                          ● A high priority queue and special treatment for “diversity” candidates
                                                                                                          ● Hiring practices which can effectively lower the bar for “diversity” candidates by decreasing the false negative rate
                                                                                                          ● Reconsidering any set of people if it’s not “diverse” enough, but not showing that same scrutiny in the reverse direction (clear confirmation bias)
                                                                                                          ● Setting org level OKRs for increased representation which can incentivize illegal discrimination

Comment

There are biological differences between men and women. This doesn't mean that "All women are like X, all men are like Y". What this means is that the average woman has different attributes to the average man. This doesn't mean that there's no such thing as women who are good at e.g. engineering. It means that when you take a suitably random sample of e.g. highly technical engineers at a highly meritocratic company like Google, you're always going to find more men than women in that sample. The reverse applies to e.g. psychology and teaching.

It also doesn't mean there's no such thing as sexism in engineering or that companies like Google couldn't do better at making a great environment for the women they have, and a more inticing career path for young women entering the workforce. However, the quest for complete equity at all costs is doomed to fail. No amount of socialisation is going to completely eliminate those biological elements.

Further, the more extreme examples of socialisation (such as unconscious bias and micro-aggression training, neither of which have any scientific basis or even any evidence to suggest they might work at all) may in fact do more harm than good - by shaming people into silence and fostering a backlash. Add to that the deliriously stupid yet bizzarely commonplace idea that in order to improve equality we need to hamstring the majority... These policies are highly likely to be harmful to the organisation as a whole.

Comment

Not to appeal to authority ;-) but here are four scientists in the field responding to the memo: https://web.archive.org/web/20170808...tists-respond/ Had to get a cached link as it's been viewed so much that the site is down. And whether you disagree or agree witht he dude, you have experts in the field saying it is a good document, so clearly it is not "trash".

Hint: They agree with the memo and what was said, both scientifically and psychologically.

For what it’s worth, I think that almost all of the Google memo’s empirical claims are scientifically accurate. Moreover, they are stated quite carefully and dispassionately. Its key claims about sex differences are especially well-supported by large volumes of research across species, cultures, and history. I know a little about sex differences research. On the topic of evolution and human sexuality, I’ve taught for 28 years, written 4 books and over 100 academic publications, given 190 talks, reviewed papers for over 50 journals, and mentored 11 Ph.D. students. Whoever the memo’s author is, he has obviously read a fair amount about these topics. Graded fairly, his memo would get at least an A- in any masters’ level psychology course. It is consistent with the scientific state of the art on sex differences.
                                                                                                              The author of the Google essay on issues related to diversity gets nearly all of the science and its implications exactly right. Its main points are that: 1. Neither the left nor the right gets diversity completely right; 2. The social science evidence on implicit and explicit bias has been wildly oversold and is far weaker than most people seem to realize; 3. Google has, perhaps unintentionally, created an authoritarian atmosphere that has stifled discussion of these issues by stigmatizing anyone who disagrees as a bigot and instituted authoritarian policies of reverse discrimination; 4. The policies and atmosphere systematically ignore biological, cognitive, educational, and social science research on the nature and sources of individual and group differences. I cannot speak to the atmosphere at Google, but: 1. Give that the author gets everything else right, I am pretty confident he is right about that too; 2. It is a painfully familiar atmosphere, one that is a lot like academia.
                                                                                                              As a woman who’s worked in academia and within STEM, I didn’t find the memo offensive or sexist in the least. I found it to be a well thought out document, asking for greater tolerance for differences in opinion, and treating people as individuals instead of based on group membership. Within the field of neuroscience, sex differences between women and men—when it comes to brain structure and function and associated differences in personality and occupational preferences—are understood to be true, because the evidence for them (thousands of studies) is strong. This is not information that’s considered controversial or up for debate; if you tried to argue otherwise, or for purely social influences, you’d be laughed at.
                                                                                                              etc

The guy who wrote the memo also has a system biology phd from Harvard that he got in two years (almost unheard of), he is not a chump.

But hey, these things don't trump skim reading, not even trying to understand a point and taking things out of context.
                                                                                                              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 08-08-17, 15:12.

Comment

Again Andy is that the same differences that 100 ago years meant that women would be nurses and secretary's rather than doctors and lawyers.

The female brains ability to learn and undertake maths or problem solving is no different to a mans. Perhaps they are not interested but that is due to societal norms rather than genetics and this is now changing.

The guys picked the crappiest argument out of an area where there are legit areas of concern.

I am with him on women spending more money, fucking buff day spa.
                                                                                                                Last edited by RichieM; 08-08-17, 15:01.

Comment

A- in a pseudoscience is a decent result

Comment

How many citations do you want for all of those items? This is mostly extremely well established science at this point. His original post had a bunch of citations in it, but they were stripped by Gizmodo when they published the leaked document. I can't wait for them to go out of business.

Comment

There are biological differences between men and women. This doesn't mean that "All women are like X, all men are like Y". What this means is that the average woman has different attributes to the average man. This doesn't mean that there's no such thing as women who are good at e.g. engineering.
                                                                                                                      LDO
                                                                                                                      It means that when you take a suitably random sample of e.g. highly technical engineers at a highly meritocratic company like Google, you're always going to find more men than women in that sample. The reverse applies to e.g. psychology and teaching.

You'll have to explain why that follows

Because of the bilologial differences is it

It also doesn't mean there's no such thing as sexism in engineering or that companies like Google couldn't do better at making a great environment for the women they have, and a more inticing career path for young women entering the workforce.
                                                                                                                      LDO
                                                                                                                      However, the quest for complete equity at all costs is doomed to fail. No amount of socialisation is going to completely eliminate those biological elements.
                                                                                                                      Not sure what you mean by complete equ(al)ity at all costs?
                                                                                                                      Obv none of us are working at google but their diversity program doesn't sound to me like an 'at all costs' program. Maybe you point out if you can some examples of what you mean

Further, the more extreme examples of socialisation (such as unconscious bias and micro-aggression training, neither of which have any scientific basis or even any evidence to suggest they might work at all) may in fact do more harm than good - by shaming people into silence and fostering a backlash. Add to that the deliriously stupid yet bizzarely commonplace idea that in order to improve equality we need to hamstring the majority... These policies are highly likely to be harmful to the organisation as a whole.
                                                                                                                      Not sure what most of that means but I do think what I find most objectionable and what I see as the Brietbart / Trump fanboi mindset is the idea that improving access to all is in any way hamstringing the majority. Thats just whinging of the pisspoor privileged hanging on desperately to his undeserved status.

Comment

How many citations do you want for all of those items? This is mostly extremely well established science at this point. His original post had a bunch of citations in it, but they were stripped by Gizmodo when they published the leaked document. I can't wait for them to go out of business.
                                                                                                                        The citations, for the little they are worth are with the doc I linked.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X