Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

We don't make steam engines out of pig iron in this country anymore, yeah? We hang out, we fuck around on the Playstation, we have some Ben & Jerry's, that's how everyone makes their money now, yeah?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
          Good debate on the future of work. Personally the plan is to be in a position to fully retire in 20 more years if I need to. I'd hate to be trying to reinvent myself at that stage because I need the money. Another good reason to be saving investing in the stock market for those in their late 30s and early 40s.
          Have to expect massive growth over our lifetime (drones/machine learning/automation etc etc)

You'd expect property to decline massively over time too, it's one of the few sectors in the economy where there's been no productivity growth over the last few decades. although I see they've started using brick laying machines in a few places. Better design/automation + autonomous cars.
          Last edited by Denny Crane; 18-07-17, 23:28.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitch
                Getting destroyed on twitter over a comment about those new €1k a month student digs in Dublin.
                Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                You're defending it valiantly - keep up the good work
                This is the snowflakey bit of complete bollocks I would have zoned in on.
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                  My guess/bet would be germany.

Year would be 2130
                  Germany have great roads and they have no speed limits on a lot of their autobahns, I can't see ze Germans giving up their right to plant their foot down in a 200mph car in 13 years.

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
                    Germany have great roads and they have no speed limits on a lot of their autobahns, I can't see ze Germans giving up their right to plant their foot down in a 200mph car in 13 years.
                    Welcome to the past Gordo

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                        you surely have an exit plan in the works yourself given the unsustainability (I presume) of trading?
                        How is normal trading even still a thing. I was talking to a cousin of mine recently who works for a big trading firm. He is from an Electronic/Computing background. He worked as part of a team designing real-time algorithmic capabilities, big data, machine learning, pattern recognition etc. He said the traders within his company are just there now as someone to blame if anything goes wrong. He recently moved to another post in America to work in a Data Science Center for the company. The money is eye boggling for his age.

Opr

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                            How is normal trading even still a thing. I was talking to a cousin of mine recently who works for a big trading firm. He is from an Electronic/Computing background. He worked as part of a team designing real-time algorithmic capabilities, big data, machine learning, pattern recognition etc. He said the traders within his company are just there now as someone to blame if anything goes wrong. He recently moved to another post in America to work in a Data Science Center for the company. The money is eye boggling for his age.

Opr
                            250k in IFSC is not unheard of for a good dev
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

We've got a good while to go before the robots take over m8s
                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                    Stand up paddle boarding surrounded by Turtles, great food and beers followed by one of the most remarkable sunsets. Good day.

Gilli Trawangan has certainly been the highlight of the trip, wish we booked longer here.
                                    I went there for 4 days and ended up staying 11 😁

Comment

you surely have an exit plan in the works yourself given the unsustainability (I presume) of trading?
                                      I'm amazed sometimes that it's still viable. Latest figure I heard is 80-90% of the market I trade is automated now. I'm always thinking about what's next but haven't found a satisfactory answer yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                        Welcome to the past Gordo
                                        Let me put it another way, if Germany ban all human driving cars by 2030 I'll attempt to swim from Heuston station bridge to O'Connell street bridge and if I survive that I'll then cut my own balls off and eat them.

In other news, an automated jacks, that's something I am interested in. My brother has one, sit down, take a dump then wait as a mechanical arm comes out and washes your rusty sheriffs badge then dries it. Now that's useful technology.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

We've got a good while to go before the robots take over m8s
                                          That robot took one for the team.

Let me put it another way, if Germany ban all human driving cars by 2030 I'll attempt to swim from Heuston station bridge to O'Connell street bridge and if I survive that I'll then cut my own balls off and eat them.
                                          Moving the goalposts a bit there m8.

In other news, an automated jacks, that's something I am interested in. My brother has one, sit down, take a dump then wait as a mechanical arm comes out and washes your rusty sheriffs badge then dries it. Now that's useful technology.
                                          Japanese have this solved.
                                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Yeah but he said..... Oh never mind.....

Comment

Comment

Reserved here for a lunch in Rome at the beginning of September, as an early turning-40 event. Rome seems rather underwhelmed by decent restaurants based on Michelin stars. This being the only two Michelin star, and then one three Michelin star (with no lunch and just a bankrupting dinner option). Would have thought a city that size and that famous for food would be brimming with foodie excellence.
                                                I keep threatening to actually go and see places now that I have the time, Rome being on that list (and Malta is surprisingly well stocked as far as direct flights to Europen cities goes) but I can't ever seem to follow through. Had a hotel in Skopje booked for the first week in August in the hope of getting UEFA Super Cup tickets but they fell through so cancelled it.

Almost...almost..pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago on a 121 night around the world cruise (I guess I'm officially old) but decided to take a year to think it over and either go in 2019 or knock it on the head altogether.

I admit to being a little concerned at how staid and lethargic I'm becoming. Everything just seems like too much effort these days.
                                                Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Comment

Reserved here for a lunch in Rome at the beginning of September, as an early turning-40 event. Rome seems rather underwhelmed by decent restaurants based on Michelin stars. This being the only two Michelin star, and then one three Michelin star (with no lunch and just a bankrupting dinner option). Would have thought a city that size and that famous for food would be brimming with foodie excellence.
                                                    Tourist trap par excellence (Rome, not your restaurant). I imagine all the good places are kept a closely guarded secret by the locals.
                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                      I keep threatening to actually go and see places now that I have the time, Rome being on that list (and Malta is surprisingly well stocked as far as direct flights to Europen cities goes) but I can't ever seem to follow through. Had a hotel in Skopje booked for the first week in August in the hope of getting UEFA Super Cup tickets but they fell through so cancelled it.

Almost...almost..pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago on a 121 night around the world cruise (I guess I'm officially old) but decided to take a year to think it over and either go in 2019 or knock it on the head altogether.

I admit to being a little concerned at how staid and lethargic I'm becoming. Everything just seems like too much effort these days.
                                                      A.....cruise.

What have those Maltesers done to you?

Comment

Comment

That cruise sounds woeful! But each to their own, of course. I think the thing that ruins cruises is the average age of fellow passengers is 80, so the entertainment etc plays to that age group. Rome apparently is amazing.
                                                          Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                          A.....cruise.

What have those Maltesers done to you?
                                                          Yeah, not something I've ever really considered but it was more the globe trotting and seeing everywhere albeit only a day or two in each that was appealing

It covers

Amsterdam - Lisbon - Madeira - Barbados - Grenada - Colombia - Panama - French Polynesia - Tahiti - Moorea - Bora Bora - Auckland - Tauranga - Bay of Islands

1 day each except Tahiti which is 2 days

then 2 days in Sydney

Darwin - Komodo Island - Manila - Shanghai (2 days) - Hong Kong - Chan May(vietnam) - Phu my (vietnam) - Ko samui (thailand) - Laem Chabang - Singapore - Kuala Lumpur - Penang - Sri Lanka - Cochin (India) - Mumbai - Dubai - Muscat - Safaga (Egypt) - Aqabe (Jordan) - Suez Canal - Athens

and then convieniantly the 2nd last stop is Malta so I'll just leave there

Just seems like a great opportunity to get a bite sized chunk of a lot of places albeit you have to do it on a cruise.

Comment

That cruise sounds woeful! But each to their own, of course. I think the thing that ruins cruises is the average age of fellow passengers is 80, so the entertainment etc plays to that age group. Rome apparently is amazing.
                                                            This is absolute nonsense in 95% of cases and only true of the round the world ones that only retirees can afford time-wise.
                                                            Went on a Med one for honeymoon and it was class.

Comment

I'm going to Italy for a couple of weeks on 6 August. Has anyone done wine tasting/a wine tasting tour in Tuscany?
                                                              Flying into Pisa Sunday 6th, driving straight to Greve in Chianti area to do a couple of days/nights wine tasting etc. Any recommendations here?
                                                              Then 3 nights in Florence. Then getting a train south to the Amalfi Coast to Praiano from where we'll cover Positano/Capri etc.
                                                              No clue re: the Tuscany leg so any recommendations appreciated.

Comment

Surprised to see you getting all alt-righty with your terminology Strewelpeter. Snowflakes? for not wanting to have to work every spare hour while at college and rely on your parents just to afford accommodation?

It's bullshit lads, and you can't sit there with your mortgage paid off and telling people suffering under the current housing crisis that they are snowflakes for wanting to be able to afford to exist.
                                                                Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

How much was that cruise Iago?

Have done two Caribbean and one Med and they were all unreal. All 7 nights but I love the idea of a 14 night one leaving from Europe crossing the Atlantic. Will look into it when all my real life expenses level off a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                    This is absolute nonsense in 95% of cases and only true of the round the world ones that only retirees can afford time-wise.
                                                                    Went on a Med one for honeymoon and it was class.
                                                                    I was supposed to be going on this cruise with a few mates in January. Its a good line up and would be right up my street but when I thought about it the idea of being locked in for a few days was just too appalling. Will probably fly over and do a few days driving around Louisiana with them after they disembark

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post
                                                                      How much was that cruise Iago?

Have done two Caribbean and one Med and they were all unreal. All 7 nights but I love the idea of a 14 night one leaving from Europe crossing the Atlantic. Will look into it when all my real life expenses level off a bit.
                                                                      A little under €20,000 a ticket, it was appealing because it was two for one for early bookings so €10,000 each for the all inclusive package. Still a shedload of money obviously but I think it probably represents value at half the price.

Comment

Rome is a superb place.The Splendour of the Vatican is both disgusting and beautiful . I remember on a tour when the guide was so full of zeal he squinted his eyes closed as he spoke of how they don’t measure time in Rome in week or Months but rather in Centuries. It was hard not to LOL at the guppyfish looks on peoples. I did have a great guffah when he asked someone on the periphery of his audience if they could move on as it was a private tour. Eh Mate, I’m part of the bleedin tour , I fucking paid ya , replied the curly toothed English type. Ah tis the little things that make life hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                          how was it all done in the past?
                                                                          20 years I went to college in Dundalk and paid £25 a week for a room in a 4 bedroom house. My registration fee was £300. I worked nightshifts on the weekends in a petrol station and had a grant. I was the youngest of 5 and my dad was out of work. That's how I afforded college.

I would be unable to attend college if I had just done my leaving this year in the same situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                            A little under €20,000 a ticket, it was appealing because it was two for one for early bookings so €10,000 each for the all inclusive package. Still a shedload of money obviously but I think it probably represents value at half the price.
                                                                            drug lords aboard

Comment

Targetting a whopping 33 degrees in Rennes today. It ain't pleasant. I see Dublin is expected to hit that sweet spot of around 26 degrees.
                                                                              Jinxing cunt.

Comment

Why did the cow go on holidays ?

because he had a wee calf.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                  Surprised to see you getting all alt-righty with your terminology Strewelpeter. Snowflakes? for not wanting to have to work every spare hour while at college and rely on your parents just to afford accommodation? .
                                                                                  Thats not what the person said.

And IMO what they did say is so fundamentally wrong, stupid and entitled it would have been worth taking up if they weren't some randomer on Twitter
                                                                                  Last edited by Strewelpeter; 19-07-17, 09:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                    Thats not what the person said.

And IMO what they did say is so fundamentally wrong, stupid and entitled it would have been worth taking up if they weren't some randomer on Twitter
                                                                                    Wanting to be able to afford to pay rent and go to college is entitled? ok.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                          Wanting to be able to afford to pay rent and go to college is entitled? ok.
                                                                                          Again, that is not what I referred to them saying.

Comment

Segway tours in Rome are unreal, getting a goo on me again now for a wee autumn weekend trip over.
                                                                                            Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                            https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

I'm all for free education,healthcare and water. But reality doesn't deliver, so it's a choice either I pay up to subsidise the education of my children or compromise on the education they can get.
                                                                                              Mostly my lads worked through college but I've still handed over a huge amount of money, the price of a house, to make it all happen.

Comment

Jesus this is cringe. Seems a regular thing with the IT these days? Are they just desperately seeking page views now?

Comment

When myself and my two brothers went to apply for courses on the CAO form in the mid 90s through early 2000s, we were all told the same thing; you're only going to somewhere in Galway, as we can't afford to send you away from home - limit your choices to UCG/NUIG and GMIT. Was a bit of a blow as I saw myself going to Trinity but money talks and we all stayed in Galway and lived at home while undergrads to start with. I do remember the state of the shared accommodation that many of the 'country' fellas going to UCG lived in when I started there in 1995, I think a lot of those types of places would warrant an expose on Prime Time or Joe Duffy if still around! Am sure they paid relative peanuts for those kips though.

When in Rome, do this. We went earlier this year and it was great, you're standing underneath the heart of St. Peter's but feel like you're a million miles away from all of the other tourists. Rome is so cool, I'd happily visit it every year if I could.

Comment

I stayed in a couple of awful student houses, including one with no heating and except for the open fire which powered radiators, but we couldn't really afford coal or similar to power it.

Much cheaper than now though relatively obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                      This is the snowflakey bit of complete bollocks I would have zoned in on.
                                                                                                      In fairness Zod I see now that I quoted two tweets there but I was only referring to the second one.

I'm not saying there isn't more to life than just putting food on the table but if people don't realise that that getting up in the morning and doing whatever it takes to carve out a living for your family is what we have to do, not just from a societal but an evolutionary pov, then they are very wrong and going to end up very disappointed.

Comment

...

Comment

There doesn't seem to be much in it between students paying for accommodation and Iago's early bird 191 day cruise price. I think they should choose the cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                            When myself and my two brothers went to apply for courses on the CAO form in the mid 90s through early 2000s, we were all told the same thing; you're only going to somewhere in Galway, as we can't afford to send you away from home - limit your choices to UCG/NUIG and GMIT. Was a bit of a blow as I saw myself going to Trinity but money talks and we all stayed in Galway and lived at home while undergrads to start with. I do remember the state of the shared accommodation that many of the 'country' fellas going to UCG lived in when I started there in 1995, I think a lot of those types of places would warrant an expose on Prime Time or Joe Duffy if still around! Am sure they paid relative peanuts for those kips though.

When in Rome, do this. We went earlier this year and it was great, you're standing underneath the heart of St. Peter's but feel like you're a million miles away from all of the other tourists. Rome is so cool, I'd happily visit it every year if I could.
                                                                                                            Seems I should reverso this and tell the kids they're going down the country to college. Then rent out the entire gaff to more than cover college expenses, relocate to Malta and spend my idle time drinking vino and perusing cruise websites.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                              Jesus this is cringe. Seems a regular thing with the IT these days? Are they just desperately seeking page views now?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/i...58936?mode=amp
                                                                                                              The IT are getting desparate and the tone has been setting in for a while, even before they shuffled their editors about. Absolute nonsense clickbait is the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                If you start selling jacks I will be highly unimpressed...
                                                                                                                everybody poops
                                                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Comment

Came second at state championships at the weekend. Not the gold I was hoping for, but a solid result none the less. Leaves me room to improve for nationals.

27 likes, 7 comments - mellor888 on July 17, 2017: "Nogi Silver Medalist at State Champs. #chasinggold @igormmasydney @afbjj_nsw #irishbjj #bjjglobet..."

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                        Came second at state championships at the weekend. Not the gold I was hoping for, but a solid result none the less. Leaves me room to improve for nationals.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWpYk5jB...n-by=mellor888
                                                                                                                        congrats man.

Comment

excellent! thats ju jitsu?
                                                                                                                          Yeah JiuJitsu, bluebelt division. Nothing elite or anything.
                                                                                                                          There were people recording the matches, but not sure if they got any on my. I'll post here if I find any

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X