Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids have taken over my computer for a Zoom dance class organised by the school. Strange times indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
      Eir broadband is great as long as you don’t attempt to have any contact with their customer service. They really innovated it after the last crash
      There is a fantastic loop on their support page which only offers the plug it out and plug it back in again and only option available for more help takes you back to the log in page which will log you out unless you find some meaningless option which through some Minoan labyrinth eventually leads to a page with a cunningly hidden 'report a fault' link.
      On the phone then they give you twenty minutes of telling you how much easier it would be if you used the internet to report that you have no internet!
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
        I find it hard to decipher exactly what a US official means, how high up is that exactly? There was three tbf but how partisan they actually are is an obvious issue too.

That said, I was a tad surprised by the headline in Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...elligence-says

Perhaps their sources are solid but China Concealed Extent of Virus Outbreak, U.S. Intelligence Says
        seems a tad sensationalist when no sources are given.

I also thought if they were sitting on an intelligence report like that for a week then Trump would be saying a little more than:

“Their numbers seem to be a little bit on the light side, and I’m being nice when I say that,”

I've always said that I don't believe the Chinese numbers and how I pretty much don't believe anything that comes out of China but I am also very uneasy at these "intellignce reports" that come from unnamed sources who don't want their names to be known as the report is top secret. So secret, that they literally cannot wait to tell major news organisations all about it but hush now, it's a secret.

Like, are these the same intelligence reports that were 100% nailed on that Sadam had all the WMDs? Anytime, anything happens, there seems to be an intelligence report to suit the required narrative from every standpoint.

I fully accept the contradictory nature of me criticising a report that essentially backs up something I believe in but there is just something about how this all plays out that doesn't sit well with me.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
          66 movies here:
          SPOILER

Do you have a high res version of this?
          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Agree with everything Harrington is saying here. Probably because it matches my putting stroke. Arc putting and left hand low FTW. Straight to straight always felt so wrong to me.

Solid putting clinic from Harrington.

Comment

Chatting to somebody about all this and they had a very different opinions than most. One was that there are so many deaths every day anyway (165,000+), that the added ones from this virus shouldn't cause such a detriment to society, or at least shouldn't be such a big deal - but that humans can only process things that are detrimental in a certain way, but things that are way worse than this such as climate change or other things like slower preventative deaths are also things that need action like this but don't get it. That the crash is going to cause a lot of hardship, poverty and a lot more deaths through various means, so is it even much better halting society like this (apart from the mental utilitarian aspect). It was at the least more fun to talk about than the usual topics on this stuff.

Comment

Thinking about signing up to Amazon Prime for tv/movies, for those of you who use it do you find it good? Much content on it? How many user profiles can you setup?

Comment

You know you're in trouble when Trump is calling you a fucktard:

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                    Thinking about signing up to Amazon Prime for tv/movies, for those of you who use it do you find it good? Much content on it? How many user profiles can you setup?
                    Released season 6 and 7 of Peppa Pig this week.

Apart from that. No idea

Comment

Jesus; special relationship mehole!

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                        I just think you would have to be insane to commit to potentially the biggest financial transaction of your life at a time like this.
                        Some of the 2007 / 2008 bollocksology is floating around the boards property forum, never forget.

It's currently manifesting itself as 'take a mortgage now before you lose a job or the banks stop lending'. And 'so what if you're in negative equity if it's your forever home'.

We were looking in January and February and have the deposit sorted, ready to go, etc. We obviously stopped a month ago. It is blatantly obvious to me that there are 10's of points of a drop coming across the board. Buying now is a mad concept for so many reasons (and the entire end to end process is probably impossible during this level of lockdown anyway). Buying any asset that imminently loses a chunk of value seems like a completely mad idea. But also, if you are lucky enough to have savings right now, potentially being flexible and mobile could be a key to weathering an economic crisis. Money to relocate, retrain, etc.

It's obviously wrong to assume that only the things you want to change will at a time like this. I'd like to buy a house cheaper than I thought I would be able to, who wouldn't? But that assumes we both keep our jobs and the banks continue to lend (eventhough we were looking to borrow well under the 3.5 ratio so aren't on the limit from that respect). But it's also dead wrong to sign up to a ~30 year arrangement for an asset that may see a huge medium term price shock when your own income cannot be guaranteed in the short to medium term.

So yeah, to answer Connie's question in a much more roundabout way, pull out of any deal if you can and see what happens.
                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                          Released season 6 and 7 of Peppa Pig this week.

Apart from that. No idea

Comment

I'd a prime membership (for way too long), the search facility for films/shows is shite

If you search by ratings you get Adam Sandler style stuff getting 4.5 stars etc

So there might well be stuff on there but good luck finding it

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                              Chatting to somebody about all this and they had a very different opinions than most. One was that there are so many deaths every day anyway (165,000+), that the added ones from this virus shouldn't cause such a detriment to society, or at least shouldn't be such a big deal - but that humans can only process things that are detrimental in a certain way, but things that are way worse than this such as climate change or other things like slower preventative deaths are also things that need action like this but don't get it. That the crash is going to cause a lot of hardship, poverty and a lot more deaths through various means, so is it even much better halting society like this (apart from the mental utilitarian aspect). It was at the least more fun to talk about than the usual topics on this stuff.
                              I've seen similar arguments but fundamentally it's a case of consequentialist versus deontological ethics.

You should save people now because saving people is morally the right action to take opposed to offsetting the immediate loss through the saving of more lives in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                I'd a prime membership (for way too long), the search facility for films/shows is shite

If you search by ratings you get Adam Sandler style stuff getting 4.5 stars etc

So there might well be stuff on there but good luck finding it
                                this. it's pretty crap and clunky. so slow interface compared to netflix. we've watched a few series on there but not much. and the fact there is a lot of ppv on top of the subscription, they can basically fuck off tbh

Comment

Movie content is terrible and TV shows content isn't great beyond having a few good shows.

Movie content is only useful if you're really into "so bad they're good" movies. Which I am but still couldn't justify paying for it alongside netflix

Comment

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I've seen similar arguments but fundamentally it's a case of consequentialist versus deontological ethics.

You should save people now because saving people is morally the right action to take opposed to offsetting the immediate loss through the saving of more lives in the future.
                                      I agree that it is better to save now. I guess a part of the point is that there is inconsistency. Banning added sugar, alcohol, lowering the speed limit by x, drastically changing how we consume saves lives right now, peoples expiry dates just aren't right now. One people have a meltdown over - we must do everything we possibly can to save lives, the others don't cause an eyelid to be batted in general, even though the latter actually causes far more deaths.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                        I've always said that I don't believe the Chinese numbers and how I pretty much don't believe anything that comes out of China but I am also very uneasy at these "intellignce reports" that come from unnamed sources who don't want their names to be known as the report is top secret. So secret, that they literally cannot wait to tell major news organisations all about it but hush now, it's a secret.

Like, are these the same intelligence reports that were 100% nailed on that Sadam had all the WMDs? Anytime, anything happens, there seems to be an intelligence report to suit the required narrative from every standpoint.

I fully accept the contradictory nature of me criticising a report that essentially backs up something I believe in but there is just something about how this all plays out that doesn't sit well with me.
                                        I think you're just starting to understand the scale of the problem we have with sources of truth. Shit be whacked yo.
                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Surely there is some way to order those tests that the aul lad that was posted yesterday is claiming are widespread in Thailand, that test for antibodies or whatever?

Fucking struggling today after feeling Ok mentally the last two or three. Articles about the morgue being built in Kilmainham and my best pals mother in law and uncle dying through the virus within a few days of each other to the virus prob a factor but feel fucking terrified, anxious and randomly incredibly angry today

Comment

you can see her wince as the producer screams into her ear
                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

This is said like we had an alternative option of letting it rip through the population? What kind of percentage deaths would we see in the scenario where the healthcare system can't treat people due to everyone getting sick at once? So you have Italy only on a much larger scale for a much longer period of time. Do we think that is the acceptable loss of life for future gains? You also because of toppling the healthcare system have a long period of time when it is ongoing that many more people die unrelated to the virus due to lack of medical care available. I am struggling here with the idea that we had a choice between the current situation and other options? I think some countries would have deemed a large number of people as an acceptable loss but when you actually analyze the plan of how that happens it doesn't play out the way you first might think.

Opr
                                              Last edited by Opr; 02-04-20, 13:23.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

you can see her wince as the producer screams into her ear
                                                If there was ever a time for some Elizabeth Holmes to arise from the ashes proclaiming that Theranos can now save the lives of millions with their blood testing device, it is now.

If she could get Theranos to a 9 billion dollar valuation 5 years ago, imagine the shit she could have pulled if she arrived on the scene now.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                  This is said like we had an alternative option of letting it rip through the population? What kind of percentage deaths would we see in the scenario where the healthcare system can't treat people due to everyone getting sick at once? So you have Italy only on a much larger scale for a much longer period of time. Do we think that is the acceptable loss of life for future gains? You also because of toppling the healthcare system have a long period of time when it is ongoing that many more people die unrelated to the virus due to lack of medical care available. I am struggling here with the idea that we had a choice between the current situation and other options? I think some countries would have deemed a large number of people as an acceptable loss but when you actually analyze the plan of how that happens it doesn't play out the way you first might think.

Opr
                                                  Particularly when there is a death rate associated to 20 - 39 year olds. That is going to be 0.2 - 0.5%. That’s 50 - 100k people from a 20m sample. Quite the philosophical decision to accept the deaths of up to 100k young people, even if you can argue it is of superior long term economic benefit.
                                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

if this doesn't cheer you up today...
                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Opr
                                                      I don't think Tar nor his mate are claiming we had an alternative choice or should have tackled it differently. It's effectively a philosophical thought experiment.

The current situation is another example of an event which if treated from a purely utilitarian perspective may be tackled in a different manner.

We know it could never be treated that way because there are humans making the decision and not an AI for example.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                            Agree with essentially everything here - except: I just don't see house prices falling.

There's not much falls in higher income jobs, and that's who you are competing with for a home. Low income households who have lost their jobs have pretty much no effect on house prices.

There's such pent up demand, that what homes are available (less now as production has fallen) will still be highly demanded. There's also very little pressure for anyone to half to sell - so we don't have the increased supply dynamics.

Interest rates and collapsing equity prices means the real estate funds will have loads of money for buying buy-to-rent places, so there's also that competition.

Now, property prices might indeed fall because of sentiment or whatever other reason, but I can't quite see the reasons why its obvious right now.
                                                            Someone making 80-100k a year with a now-unemployed partner who was earning 30-40k has just gone from being able to afford a house at 3.5X combined earnings to not being able to afford a house at 3.5X, right?

Comment

And more people losing their homes due to loss of income. Airbnb bubble bursting across Europe too I'd say.

Comment

I don't think Tar nor his mate are claiming we had an alternative choice or should have tackled it differently. It's effectively a philosophical thought experiment.

The current situation is another example of an event which if treated from a purely utilitarian perspective may be tackled in a different manner.

We know it could never be treated that way because there are humans making the decision and not an AI for example.
                                                                Philosophical thought experiment you say? Not for Bolsonaro.
                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                  Bogband is not great but no bogband is a catastrophe.

Eircom seem to be proud of their ability to get someone to look at it in 3 - 5 working days

Left with poor mobile connection FML
                                                                  Fair play to Eircom, a lad I know rang up at 2 said he'd come out to lave a look and we are up and running again already. I'll give them a few passes on past and future problems for that.
                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Quite a fan of Amazon Prime, some of their content is great - The Man In The High Castle was really enjoyable, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is brilliant and I enjoyed Good Omens too.

Comment

One thing I didn't consider when grassing up my former shrub areas. Basically 50% in the middle was old lawn which I left alone and I now have 25% extra on each side where my new grass is growing happily now.

The new grass is a luscious bright green colour which contrasts quite badly with the faded yellowy-green mossy shit of the old. Now it looks like a really shitty flag.
                                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                        And more people losing their homes due to loss of income. Airbnb bubble bursting across Europe too I'd say.
                                                                        State payments system should deal with the majority of the first problem. 2nd one is having a huge impact on supply in the rental market but won't make a noticeable difference to purchasing imo.
                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Comment

Comment

This is all guesswork - but I'd imagine that second income will bounce back fairly quickly and the deposit is still there and also I think there's just so many people waiting and so few homes available that its not going to be a collapse. As someone who may be moving back to Dublin in September with a deposit ready to use, I'd love a collapse, but it just doesn't seem like the right conditions for that to happen.

Bear in mind the financial crisis was a collapse in high income jobs and thats why it was so devastating to property. This time around seems to have mainly (for now anyway) just affected lower income jobs, and temporarily at that.
                                                                              Nobody said anything about collapses!

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                What did we ever do as a nation to have Paddy Cosgrave thrust upon us

Comment

...

Comment

Wouldn't buy Prime for the streaming. It's just a few shows (Goliath, American Gods) that are easily downloaded. But Prime for actual delivery is almost a required utility expenditure.
                                                                                    No it isn’t
                                                                                    Objectively awful company of fuck all benefit to society
                                                                                    One upside I hope we’ll see from this crisis is more governments intervening to put manners on the likes of amazon, consumers aren’t going to do it, it’s been well proven at this stage that people are ok with basic human and employment rights being trampled on for a bit of convenience
                                                                                    I haven’t used amazon in over a decade, massively non essential

Comment

Yes.

Also regarding utilitarianism, often the extremes of it end up in a place where you feel it should give you the wrong answer from a empathetic perspective. Traditionally utilitarians come up with a reasoning saying their philosophical model is still intact because of the damage that scenario would have on society being negative enough insofar that the unconscionable thing is not actually the right move. With the way society is now, I have to wonder would it, being as atrocities seem so transient in peoples minds.

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                      Particularly when there is a death rate associated to 20 - 39 year olds. That is going to be 0.2 - 0.5%. That’s 50 - 100k people from a 20m sample. Quite the philosophical decision to accept the deaths of up to 100k young people, even if you can argue it is of superior long term economic benefit.
                                                                                      Do people feel that 0.2-0.5 is accurate, or is it more likely up to a factor of 10 less due to testing limitations?

This is all guesswork - but I'd imagine that second income will bounce back fairly quickly and the deposit is still there and also I think there's just so many people waiting and so few homes available that its not going to be a collapse. As someone who may be moving back to Dublin in September with a deposit ready to use, I'd love a collapse, but it just doesn't seem like the right conditions for that to happen.

Bear in mind the financial crisis was a collapse in high income jobs and thats why it was so devastating to property. This time around seems to have mainly (for now anyway) just affected lower income jobs, and temporarily at that.
                                                                                      Lower rent prices do somewhat affect house prices too though, in soft relational terms. Desire to buy vs rent, buy-to-let and so forth. I'd expect some modest decrease.
                                                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 02-04-20, 15:15.

Comment

Do people feel that 0.2-0.5 is accurate, or is it more likely up to a factor of 10 less due to testing limitations?

2 people between 20 and 50 died in South Korea out of 5000 confirmed cases

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                          2 people between 20 and 50 died in South Korea out of 5000 confirmed cases
                                                                                          I suspect 0.2%-0.5% will be a closer approximation for hospitalisation in that cohort than death rate for it.

Like I said the other day, 1.6% was the ICU admission rate up till March 28th for people in Ireland under the age of 45.

Comment

...

Comment

Jesus, do none of ye read facebook. According too Karen from Tallaght der is no Corona 19 its all a coverup to get all d kidsn everyone locked away so dey can put up all d 5g masts to kill us all dat way and keep all d money. Wake up Sheeple

Comment

Could be the kimchi
                                                                                                I won't hear a word against kimchi, great stuff altogether.

Comment

Signed up to Richard Osmans newsletter for his quiz that was sent today and it didnt disappoint.

10 questions, 50 points up for grabs. And every answer starts with the letter A

SPOILER

The Quiz

1. Nine countries of the world have names beginning and ending in A. 1 point for each you can name. (For Pointless fans, by ‘country’ I mean a sovereign state which is a member of the UN in its own right.)

2. Which TV shop was owned by Miss Babs and Miss Bertha?

3. Name the surnames of the authors who wrote these books:
                                                                                                  I KNOW WHY THE CAGED BIRD SINGS
                                                                                                  THE HANDMAID’S TALE
                                                                                                  NOT A PENNY MORE, NOT A PENNY LESS
                                                                                                  EMMA
                                                                                                  LITTLE WOMEN
                                                                                                  WATERSHIP DOWN
                                                                                                  4. What is the only woman’s name mentioned in Lou Bega’s ‘Mambo No. 5’ that begins with the letter A?

5. Below are clues to two different people who both share the same surname. 1 point for each surname.
                                                                                                  OLYMPIC BOXING GOLD MEDALLIST AND SPICE GIRL
                                                                                                  WORLD DARTS CHAMPION FAMOUS FOR WEARING A RED SWIMSUIT
                                                                                                  DRUG CHEAT AND QUIZ SHOW HOST

6. Here are the titles of some UK number one singles. But which acts hit number one with these songs? 1 point for each correct answer.
                                                                                                  TAKE A CHANCE ON ME (1978)
                                                                                                  WHOLE AGAIN (2000)
                                                                                                  DOCTOR JONES (1998)
                                                                                                  KILLER (1990)
                                                                                                  I BET YOU LOOK GOOD ON THE DANCEFLOOR (2005)

7. There are only two cities in the UK with names beginning with the letter A. 1 point for each.

8. Give the first names of these US Presidents and UK Prime Ministers. A point for each.
                                                                                                  BONAR LAW
                                                                                                  LINCOLN
                                                                                                  EDEN
                                                                                                  JACKSON
                                                                                                  BALFOUR
                                                                                                  JOHNSON
                                                                                                  DOUGLAS-HOME

9. These are annoying. What do all the As stand for in these names? A point for each.
                                                                                                  RSPCA
                                                                                                  NATO
                                                                                                  ABBA
                                                                                                  THE FA
                                                                                                  NASA

10. This is a tough and very interesting one to leave you with. Another 9 points up for grabs. In the Oxford University list of the 100 most commonly used words in the English language, nine of them begin with the letter A. A point for each you can name!

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                    Signed up to Richard Osmans newsletter for his quiz that was sent today and it didnt disappoint.

SPOILER

The Quiz

1. Nine countries of the world have names beginning and ending in A. 1 point for each you can name. (For Pointless fans, by ‘country’ I mean a sovereign state which is a member of the UN in its own right.)

THE HANDMAID’S TALE
                                                                                                    EMMA
                                                                                                    LITTLE WOMEN
                                                                                                    WATERSHIP DOWN
                                                                                                    4. What is the only woman’s name mentioned in Lou Bega’s ‘Mambo No. 5’ that begins with the letter A?

5. Below are clues to two different people who both share the same surname. 1 point for each surname.

6. Here are the titles of some UK number one singles. But which acts hit number one with these songs? 1 point for each correct answer.
                                                                                                    WHOLE AGAIN (2000)
                                                                                                    DOCTOR JONES (1998)
                                                                                                    KILLER (1990)

7. There are only two cities in the UK with names beginning with the letter A. 1 point for each.

8. Give the first names of these US Presidents and UK Prime Ministers. A point for each.
                                                                                                    BONAR LAW
                                                                                                    LINCOLN
                                                                                                    EDEN
                                                                                                    JACKSON
                                                                                                    BALFOUR
                                                                                                    JOHNSON
                                                                                                    DOUGLAS-HOME

9. These are annoying. What do all the As stand for in these names? A point for each.
                                                                                                    RSPCA
                                                                                                    NATO
                                                                                                    ABBA
                                                                                                    THE FA
                                                                                                    NASA

10. This is a tough and very interesting one to leave you with. Another 9 points up for grabs. In the Oxford University list of the 100 most commonly used words in the English language, nine of them begin with the letter A. A point for each you can name!
                                                                                                    Nice one

SPOILER

1. Andorra
                                                                                                    Armenia
                                                                                                    Argentina
                                                                                                    Antigua and Barbuda
                                                                                                    Angola
                                                                                                    Albania
                                                                                                    Algeria

2. Pass

3. Angelou
                                                                                                    Pass
                                                                                                    Archer
                                                                                                    Austin
                                                                                                    Alcott
                                                                                                    Can’t think

4. Anna

5. Adams
                                                                                                    Anderson
                                                                                                    Armstrong

6. ABBA
                                                                                                    Pass
                                                                                                    Aqua
                                                                                                    Pass
                                                                                                    Arctic Monkeys

7. Aberdeen

8. Pass
                                                                                                    Abraham
                                                                                                    Anthony
                                                                                                    Andrew
                                                                                                    Arthur
                                                                                                    Andrew
                                                                                                    Alec

9. Animals
                                                                                                    Atlantic
                                                                                                    Agnieta and Annie
                                                                                                    Association
                                                                                                    American agency

10. A
                                                                                                    At
                                                                                                    And
                                                                                                    As
                                                                                                    All
                                                                                                    Any
                                                                                                    Are
                                                                                                    Am

Comment

SPOILER

The Quiz

Australia
                                                                                                      Andorra
                                                                                                      Antigua
                                                                                                      Aruba
                                                                                                      America (I know)
                                                                                                      Angola
                                                                                                      Argentina
                                                                                                      Armenia
                                                                                                      Austria

THE HANDMAID’S TALE- Atwood
                                                                                                      EMMA-Austen
                                                                                                      LITTLE WOMEN- Alcott
                                                                                                      WATERSHIP DOWN
                                                                                                      4. What is the only woman’s name mentioned in Lou Bega’s ‘Mambo No. 5’ that begins with the letter A? Angela

OLYMPIC BOXING GOLD MEDALLIST AND SPICE GIRL -
                                                                                                      WORLD DARTS CHAMPION FAMOUS FOR WEARING A RED SWIMSUIT -Anderson
                                                                                                      DRUG CHEAT AND QUIZ SHOW HOST- armstrong

TAKE A CHANCE ON ME (1978)- ABBA
                                                                                                      WHOLE AGAIN (2000)-
                                                                                                      DOCTOR JONES (1998)- aqua
                                                                                                      KILLER (1990)
                                                                                                      I BET YOU LOOK GOOD ON THE DANCEFLOOR (2005)- artic monkeys

Altringham
                                                                                                      Axminster

BONAR LAW- Andrew
                                                                                                      LINCOLN- Abraham
                                                                                                      EDEN-Anthony
                                                                                                      JACKSON-Andrew
                                                                                                      BALFOUR-Alex
                                                                                                      JOHNSON-Alan
                                                                                                      DOUGLAS-HOME- Alexander

RSPCA- animals
                                                                                                      NATO- Atlantic
                                                                                                      ABBA-all
                                                                                                      THE FA-association
                                                                                                      NASA- agency

As
                                                                                                      Ah
                                                                                                      All
                                                                                                      And
                                                                                                      Angry
                                                                                                      About
                                                                                                      At
                                                                                                      An
                                                                                                      Are
                                                                                                      ...

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                                                                                                        Nice one

SPOILER

1. Andorra
                                                                                                        Armenia
                                                                                                        Argentina
                                                                                                        Antigua and Barbuda
                                                                                                        Angola
                                                                                                        Albania
                                                                                                        Algeria
                                                                                                        I wouldn't have got
                                                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                                                        Antigua
                                                                                                        but how do you not get
                                                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                                                        Australia, Austria
                                                                                                        ?

Comment

Ah jaysus

Comment

SPOILER

The Quiz

THE HANDMAID’S TALE
                                                                                                            EMMA
                                                                                                            LITTLE WOMEN
                                                                                                            WATERSHIP DOWN

WHOLE AGAIN (2000)
                                                                                                            DOCTOR JONES (1998)
                                                                                                            KILLER (1990)

BONAR LAW
                                                                                                            LINCOLN
                                                                                                            EDEN
                                                                                                            JACKSON
                                                                                                            BALFOUR
                                                                                                            JOHNSON
                                                                                                            DOUGLAS-HOME

RSPCA
                                                                                                            NATO
                                                                                                            ABBA
                                                                                                            THE FA
                                                                                                            NASA

SPOILER

1. algeria, austria, albania, austrailia, argentina, albania, andorra, angola and Antigua and Barbuda.
                                                                                                            2.
                                                                                                            3. LITTLE WOMEN Louisa May Alcott, THE HANDMAID’S TALE margeret atwood
                                                                                                            4. Angela
                                                                                                            5. OLYMPIC BOXING GOLD MEDALLIST AND SPICE GIRL - nicola adams
                                                                                                            WORLD DARTS CHAMPION FAMOUS FOR WEARING A RED SWIMSUIT - anderson? know nothing about darts but do know boobs
                                                                                                            DRUG CHEAT AND QUIZ SHOW HOST- armstrong
                                                                                                            6. TAKE A CHANCE ON ME (1978) - abba
                                                                                                            WHOLE AGAIN (2000) - atomic kitten
                                                                                                            DOCTOR JONES (1998) - aqua
                                                                                                            KILLER (1990) - adamski & seal
                                                                                                            I BET YOU LOOK GOOD ON THE DANCEFLOOR (2005) - arctic monkeys
                                                                                                            7. Armagh, Aberdeen.
                                                                                                            8. BONAR LAW - Andrew
                                                                                                            LINCOLN - Abraham
                                                                                                            EDEN - Anthony
                                                                                                            JACKSON - Andrew
                                                                                                            BALFOUR - Arthur
                                                                                                            JOHNSON - Alexander lol
                                                                                                            DOUGLAS-HOME - Alec / Alexander
                                                                                                            9. RSPCA - Animals
                                                                                                            NATO - Atlantic
                                                                                                            ABBA - Anni-Frid, agnetha
                                                                                                            THE FA - Association? Assuming that is a football thing
                                                                                                            NASA - Aeronautics, administration

10. a, an, and, about, after, at, as, all, also, any, are - that's 11 so I'll leave off the last two.

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 02-04-20, 17:11.

Comment

I get that but treating it as such, where is the other solution and why would you take it? From what point of view or factors would an AI consider another option. He pointed out that the current option will lead to massive economic hardship that will cost many lives in the future. I don't know if you were to run the numbers on a pure loss of life/other factors best strategy that the current one would come out worse given what we have seen from the worst-case scenario of letting it rip through.

Opr

Comment

SPOILER

1. algeria, azerbaijan, austria, albania, austrailia, afghanistan, argentina, albania, andorra (there are more than 9 - also angola and Antigua and Barbuda afaik).
                                                                                                                2.
                                                                                                                3. LITTLE WOMEN Louisa May Alcott, THE HANDMAID’S TALE margeret atwood
                                                                                                                4. Angela
                                                                                                                5. OLYMPIC BOXING GOLD MEDALLIST AND SPICE GIRL - nicola adams
                                                                                                                6. TAKE A CHANCE ON ME (1978) - abba
                                                                                                                WHOLE AGAIN (2000) - atomic kitten
                                                                                                                DOCTOR JONES (1998) - aqua
                                                                                                                KILLER (1990) - adamski & seal
                                                                                                                I BET YOU LOOK GOOD ON THE DANCEFLOOR (2005) - arctic monkeys
                                                                                                                7. Armagh, Aberdeen.
                                                                                                                8. BONAR LAW - Andrew
                                                                                                                LINCOLN - Abraham
                                                                                                                EDEN - Anthony
                                                                                                                JACKSON - Andrew
                                                                                                                BALFOUR - Arthur
                                                                                                                JOHNSON - Alexander lol
                                                                                                                DOUGLAS-HOME - Alec / Alexander
                                                                                                                9. RSPCA - Animals
                                                                                                                NATO - Atlantic
                                                                                                                ABBA - Anni-Frid, agnetha
                                                                                                                THE FA - Association? Assuming that is a football thing
                                                                                                                NASA - Aeronautics, administration

10. a, an, and, about, after, at, as, all, also, any, are - that's 11 so I'll leave off the last two.

Read question 1 properly and try again. I didnt even look at your other answers after that shambles

Comment

Great to see the main man Tony back.

Turned a personal story into a public message about making sure Corona doesnt stop us going to hospital too

Disappointed media didnt get an Irish, tongue in cheek barb in about taking a day off during a crisis in though.

Comment

Read question 1 properly and try again. I didnt even look at your other answers after that shambles
                                                                                                                    SPOILER
                                                                                                                    Haha, they are all in the UN so I assume they are sovereign, maybe they aren't, I retract Australia

EDIT: OH SHIT LOL

Edited now to remove silly answers
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 02-04-20, 17:11.

Comment

Tragic about nursing home deaths but if you remove them (Im assuming a good % of our deaths are from nursery homes based on anecdotes and median age) our death rate is stable (non exponential).

ICU numbers look same too - hopefully fact we went early and hard (relative to worse countries int he world) on restrictions kicking in.

Someone tamper my optimism!

Comment

Galfond back to being down 2 buyins in the challenge thing. Some come back!

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                                          Galfond back to being down 2 buyins in the challenge thing. Some come back!
                                                                                                                          I just turned it on after seeing your post. He just won another huge one to be down now less than a buyin. This is incredible.

Opr

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X