Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
    I am not sure what to do. On Thursday morning I woke up (in Cheltenham) with a very bad chesty cough. That evening at home I had the chills/fever but slept reasonably well. Much the same yesterday but last night I spent it waking up every so often in a pool of sweat. Really really bad fever. Never had an experience like it with a cold before. Woke up with very sore throat and took 2 paracetamol. Felt a bit better since but still coughing and throat sore. No runny nose and no shortage of breath.

Should I just ride it out and stay indoors for the foreseeable? Already cancelled golf followed by family dinner on paddy's day.
    ...If you don't get tested, you can't claim first IPB cv...

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
      This is a good idea, help out any elderly locals etc...

https://randall.ie/help/
      Dropped the phone number into the old couple next door yesterday. Their own kids dont live close by so said if they needed anything if they wanted to stay indoors just give us a bell, pick up shopping or prescriptions or whatever. She seemed genuinely delighted that we offered so hopefully they take us up on it if they need some help.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
        Are they still not testing/announcing results over the weekend?
        After trying hse line a few times today, got the answering machine saying it's closed till Monday.
        Hard to imagine that's how they will go on.
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
          Could be catastrophic for Aer Lingus
          Mate of mine jacked in his Ryanair pilots job after being offered an aer Lingus one.
          Aer Lingus has now rescinded the offer.
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
            When you see desperate scenes in Italian hospitals and the levels of priortization the young are getting over elderly and then consider we've only 1/3 the ICU beds per capita in comparison in already overcrowded hospitals its proper terrifying to think what state our hospitals will be in a couple of weeks.
            And except for bulk buying toilet paper, nobody here seems to be making any adjustment to their lives.

Comment

You'd wonder if this drags on a bit when things become a bit lawless when those with little to no savings become desperate.
              Don't think it has to drag on too long for it to become an issue.

From stuff I have read in the past, they estimate any civilized society is only ever about 48 hours/4 missed meals away from anarchy.

Comment

I had to go into town today, would normally walk or LUAS but opted to drive. Parked in Fleet St.

Fuck me, Oliver St Gogarty, Aul Dubliner and The Temple Bar were all rammed, mainly with English people, a fair few stags and hens, shit loads of people were absolutely hammered at 3pm.

I stopped a few times and just looked in disbelief.

Comment

Philip Boucher Hayes tweeting that a person in their 20s with no underlying health conditions is in a serious condition in ICU with covid19.

Comment

Temple Bar Cam.
                    EarthCam is taking viewers to the heart of Dublin, Ireland with its live streaming webcams! Perched on top of the Temple Bar Pharmacy, experience the energy and excitement of this popular city.

Those posters above are telling the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                      As I said, I've no idea. Just trying to wrap my head around what's happening and following the news as much as I can. You seem pissed off at something I've said though and I dont know what. Not sure if your last line is serious but chances of me dying if I get the virus are very low, young and healthy with no medical issues. I'd rather not get it obvs but dont think it will be fatal if I do.
                      29yo in ICU tonight with no underlying health issues in a bad way.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

29yo in ICU tonight with no underlying health issues in a bad way.
                          See that

Comment

I'd say there are people out there who have underlying conditions unbeknownst to themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                              I'd say there are people out there who have underlying conditions unbeknownst to themselves.
                              There is that too. This guy appears healthy but I guess you never know. Non smoker etc etc

Comment

See that
                                Thats fairly terrifying although I don't think healthy 20-40 year olds appear to be needing ICU in big numbers based on other countries data.

If they do, then this thing that just jumped a level in terms of vulnerable demographics and load on healthcare systems.
                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Comment

Well that's fucking scary.
                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Comment

How would heavy smokers fare out do people think?

A couple in my family.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

A couple in my family.
                                          Well anything that compromises the lungs isn't good. Dont the Italians smoke a lot on average ?

Maybe tell them lay off the fags for a while . I'm sleeping extra myself in case the missus comes down with it and I'm chasing the childers . She suffers a lot with chesty maladies.

Comment

A couple in my family.
                                            In a word, badly.

Comment

Like Fair play man syndrome. Dobby shouldn't be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                Thats fairly terrifying although I don't think healthy 20-40 year olds appear to be needing ICU in big numbers based on other countries data.

If they do, then this thing that just jumped a level in terms of vulnerable demographics and load on healthcare systems.
                                                50% of ICU cases in France are under 60

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                  50% of ICU cases in France are under 60
                                                  Is here a breakdown of the age dems for this somewhere? Thats worrying.
                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                    Like Fair play man syndrome. Dobby shouldn't be sure.
                                                    %s still on my side fir now lol

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                      Is here a breakdown of the age dems for this somewhere? Thats worrying.
                                                      It's mainly because those are the ones getting priority. In Italy for instance, ICU Doctors aren't even assessing +65 year olds with underlying conditions.
                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

It's mainly because those are the ones getting priority. In Italy for instance, ICU Doctors aren't even assessing +65 year olds with underlying conditions.
                                                        What's scary is that Italy has the 3rd highest critical care bed capacity in the world and they're still forced to make those calls

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                          Philip Boucher Hayes tweeting that a person in their 20s with no underlying health conditions is in a serious condition in ICU with covid19.
                                                          I won't mention details of the cases but I spent the afternoon with a couple who are friends of mine, both consultant doctors, and heard about fit as a fiddle couple of people on ventilators who are not old. The 30 year old is expected to die.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                            What's scary is that Italy has the 3rd highest critical care bed capacity in the world and they're still forced to make those calls
                                                            Its horrific and we'll probably all know some elderly person who'll be left to die without getting any sort of appropriate medical help within a few weeks
                                                            Profit before people.

Comment

One of the huge advantages of being bi polar and running about unmedicated for decades is that during the manic depressive phases which can last a decade speaking from experience. During those phases you self isolate and distance yourself socially. I have a phD in what ye guys are going to have to get used to. For those commuters . Your prayers will be answered. It's not the apocalypse but it will feel like it for a good while to come.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                  One of the things that seems to be missing (it may well be there and I'd like to be armed with the info) is what happens if you do get the disease.
                                                                  Great info and data here generally:
                                                                  Country-by-country data and research on the pandemic. Updated daily.

It doesn't go into narrative detail but scroll to COVID-19: What are the symptoms? How does the disease progress?.

Comment

My only thoughts on this

don’t be a dick

Keep human contact to a minimum.

Wash/Steralise your hands before entering and leaving places with other people if you have to go to the shops
                                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Scary and all as this is, I'm fascinated by it and how it will play out.. It's like a flaming Novel that starts off slowly and picks up really quickly and I'm fecking IN IT.

Lord of the flies when all the adults die off

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                        My only thoughts on this

don’t be a dick

Keep human contact to a minimum.

Wash/Steralise your hands before entering and leaving places with other people if you have to go to the shops
                                                                        ah here elbows, what are you bringing to the table here ?

Comment

A call needs to be made about shutting things down or not. All I'm seeing on social media is stay indoors, people in pubs are selfish cunts, keep contact to a minimum but I am expected in work next week where I work in close proximity to quite a few people all day and then we have customers coming in with dockets and cash. I'd be meeting and working with a fair amount of people every day. I dont have the luxury of just staying at home.

Comment

ah here elbows, what are you bringing to the table here ?
                                                                            I have been reading so much about this and have a massive interest in the numbers behind it. Unknown mortality rates, who it affects the most, how it spreads, why the British method is grossly flawed, why the states is the most fucked.

But I came to the conclusion that if you follow what I said that’s the best advice I could give
                                                                            His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                              I won't mention details of the cases but I spent the afternoon with a couple who are friends of mine, both consultant doctors, and heard about fit as a fiddle couple of people on ventilators who are not old. The 30 year old is expected to die.
                                                                              One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the current generation are generally healthier/fitter than the one beforehand.
                                                                              In my 20s and early 30s I was on the lash all the fucking time and smoked 10+ a day.
                                                                              Fucking social media man, there is a palatable sense of fear and outrage (over people out in the pubs etc), that's hard not to be drawn into.
                                                                              It's also hard not to notice the amount of people seemingly delighted at reveling in the drama (which again is hard not to be drawn into)

Comment

A call needs to be made about shutting things down or not. All I'm seeing on social media is stay indoors, people in pubs are selfish cunts, keep contact to a minimum but I am expected in work next week where I work in close proximity to quite a few people all day and then we have customers coming in with dockets and cash. I'd be meeting and working with a fair amount of people every day. I dont have the luxury of just staying at home.
                                                                                I give it a week max dobs.

Comment

1980 - CHUNNNNE and not entirely off topic.

Live Earls Court London 1980LYRICSMother, do you think they'll drop the bomb?Mother, do you think they'll like this song?Mother, do you think they'll try to ...

Comment

...

Comment

The Cheltenham witch-hunt is real, lot of anger in work yesterday wrt idea of Cheltenham attendees coming back to work and I had nothing to do with it, people are fucking scared. Dunno if company going to do anything

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                        The Cheltenham witch-hunt is real, lot of anger in work yesterday wrt idea of Cheltenham attendees coming back to work and I had nothing to do with it, people are fucking scared. Dunno if company going to do anything
                                                                                        On that point a woman I work with, her partner was in Cheltenham and I said she shouldn’t let him back into the apartment (half joking) but it’s a serious issue.

Not having a go at people who were at Cheltenham but maybe show a little social responsibility on returning.

Comment

...

Comment

George Lee on the 9 news looking fairly somber and saying that the government has been extremely disappointed with the level of precaution some people are taking and the lack of personal responsibility. They will look at new measures over the weekend so I'd say it won't be long before we introduce the same steps that France took tonight. Introducing them before Paddy's day would make sense so probably on Monday we will hear more.

Opr

Comment

Paddy's Day just can't happen. It would be lunacy to let the pubs open.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                There's only been one case in Cheltenham though? - so right now officially its less risky than Dublin. Seems to have been an awful idea with hindsight obv, but there's no real reason to single out those people from what we know right now.
                                                                                                It's not that the place itself is that dangerous, it's all the people mingling from all over the UK and Ireland. It's not hard to imagine some Irish people had it before they went over, as GAB thoughtfully pointed out.

Cheltenham was a disgrace, but then you have people going out this weekend, with 7 extra days of warnings. Some of my friends all went to a wedding last night and posted up pictures of them in close proximity with to lots of elderly folk. I can't find an appropriate emoticon for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                  There's only been one case in Cheltenham though? - so right now officially its less risky than Dublin. Seems to have been an awful idea with hindsight obv, but there's no real reason to single out those people from what we know right now.
                                                                                                  In my opinion it’s not about singling people out at all.

I would apply that to any situation where you were in a large crowd.

I usually get the dart to work. I started driving last week. I have my own office and didn’t have any meetings last week. I am lucky in work as we have a small number in the building so the risk is much lower.

To me it’s all about numbers. How many people are you in contact with and so on.

A friend of mine was skiing in Austria and a doctor he was there with had it. He is self isolating at the moment. He is self employed and it’s a pain but he is doing it.

This is a collective thing much more easily resolved if everyone follows basic rules.

Total lockdown is only a few days away so why if you have any doubts risk infecting others.

Comment

Sound on. Awfully grim but a dose of reality.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                      Paddy's Day just can't happen. It would be lunacy to let the pubs open.
                                                                                                      the run on off licenses is going to be fucking insane

Comment

Scary and all as this is, I'm fascinated by it and how it will play out.. It's like a flaming Novel that starts off slowly and picks up really quickly and I'm fecking IN IT.

Lord of the flies when all the adults die off
                                                                                                        It's like we're living in a zombie movie.

Comment

When people were heading to Cheltenham on Monday, it was the day after 70K had been at Old Trafford for the derby, 60K had been at Murrayfield, lots of GAA matches had taken place with 5K at each ground. The Patricks Day parades were still 'on'. No government was upgrading the travel advisory to a level which would entitle them to their money back.
                                                                                                          Maybe hating on the racing fans isn't the most logical thing to do.

Comment

It's like we're living in a zombie movie.
                                                                                                            Season 2 of Kingdom just came out on Netflix. Fantastic Korean zombie series set in 1500's with royal intrigue. Just started to rewatch the first season as I forgot the characters before getting into season 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Isn't the common cold actually a couple of hundred different variants of a few different types of viruses. I remember reading that there are less than one hundred that are in common circulation and that you never get the same cold twice.
                                                                                                              The majority (60-80%) of common colds are rhinovirus. Of which there are many variants, each being minor mutations as opposed to being whole new viruses. The point being catching rhinovirus once doesn’t give you immunity against future rhinoviruses.

Obvious some viruses, like chickenpox, are one and done scenarios. That could be the case here, I was just commenting on the “that’s generally how it is with viruses”

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                When people were heading to Cheltenham on Monday, it was the day after 70K had been at Old Trafford for the derby, 60K had been at Murrayfield, lots of GAA matches had taken place with 5K at each ground. The Patricks Day parades were still 'on'. No government was upgrading the travel advisory to a level which would entitle them to their money back.
                                                                                                                Maybe hating on the racing fans isn't the most logical thing to do.
                                                                                                                That's a fair point.

PSV was the only voice against it. I think it was Mon or Tue when Eamo told him to give it a rest.
                                                                                                                Then around Wed Keane posted that PSV was probably right. I agreed by then.
                                                                                                                By Thurs I was annoyed about it. That trajectory was the same for everyone, bar the odd PSV.

We can't blame the punters. This is moving too fast.

Comment

That's a fair point.

PSV was the only voice against it. I think it was Mon or Tue when Eamo told him to give it a rest.
                                                                                                                  By Thurs I was annoyed about it. That trajectory was the same for everyone, bar the odd PSV.

I wasn't disagreeing with him fwiw!
                                                                                                                  I think loads more were annoyed before it started. When I heard it was going ahead I didn't think it would get passed Monday
                                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

That's a fair point.

Its moving fast but along the exact same trajectory as Italy, and it was clear the devastation it was causing there long before Cheltenham started. Given it clearly already had a foothold both here and in the UK, why would the outcomes here be any different given no corrective action? This was all known well over a week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                      So what happens if I get Covid-19? Assuming I don't end up one of the cases that needs acute hospital treatment does it pass through me in a similar fashion to a normal flu? Like a few days of feeling like death before recovering? What do I treat it with? It seems like the untypical and worst case scenarios are what we hear about in the media? Basically what's the journey from symptoms to recovered?
                                                                                                                      This is an interesting thread on that

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                                                        Its moving fast but along the exact same trajectory as Italy, and it was clear the devastation it was causing there long before Cheltenham started. Given it clearly already had a foothold both here and in the UK, why would the outcomes here be any different given no corrective action? This was all known well over a week ago.
                                                                                                                        I could be wrong but I think the real terror of what's happening in Italy only really started to come to light over the last 5 days or so.

Italians were on Joe Duffy early in the week talking about the difficulties they were having not being able to go to the gym. By Thursday we were finding out about 40 year olds being black tagged. No space for the dead.

We can't blame anyone, it's moving too fast.

Comment

I would have agreed with PSV if I didn't have him on ignore.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X