Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GP mate rang me last night after I cancelled golf as I said in the group I wasnt feeling great. He said he had a crazy day yesterday and reckons there will be a big spike in cases over the weekend. Said to self isolate and if I get worse call him.

I would be a bit wary of someone going to a lot of effort to test me. I am very low risk (36, healthy) so I think unless it gets worse just ride it out.

Makes me wonder about the number of cases being reported though. I imagine it is infinitely more than thought.

Comment

Are they still not testing/announcing results over the weekend?

Comment

McWilliams suggesting we all get a Hitch-like Corona bonus.

They've already done it in Hong Kong, helicopter money is apparently the term coined by Friedman: https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/d...01160?mode=amp

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
          I am not sure what to do. On Thursday morning I woke up (in Cheltenham) with a very bad chesty cough. That evening at home I had the chills/fever but slept reasonably well. Much the same yesterday but last night I spent it waking up every so often in a pool of sweat. Really really bad fever. Never had an experience like it with a cold before. Woke up with very sore throat and took 2 paracetamol. Felt a bit better since but still coughing and throat sore. No runny nose and no shortage of breath.

Should I just ride it out and stay indoors for the foreseeable? Already cancelled golf followed by family dinner on paddy's day.
          I'm not going to lie to you. When I first read this, I immediately thought you were just trying to wind up PSV. There is still a substantial part of me that thinks this

If this is not the case, I hope you are alright. Defo, self isolate and get onto your GP mate if things don't improve.

Originally posted by mocata View Post
          There is an egg shortage incoming as a result of bird flu doing the rounds. Our family supermarket supplier advised us to put in a good chunky order this week, not enough to build a fort out of egg boxes but maybe a fortnight's buffer.
          The largest egg supplier in Ireland culled 400,000 hens earlier this week due to the bird flu. I've no idea what this is as a % of the total population but it sounds a lot. Apparently, we are not allowed import eggs into Ireland, or so I have been told so there may be shortages.

Comment

US travel ban to extend to Ireland and UK

Comment

I am not sure what to do. On Thursday morning I woke up (in Cheltenham) with a very bad chesty cough. That evening at home I had the chills/fever but slept reasonably well. Much the same yesterday but last night I spent it waking up every so often in a pool of sweat. Really really bad fever. Never had an experience like it with a cold before. Woke up with very sore throat and took 2 paracetamol. Felt a bit better since but still coughing and throat sore. No runny nose and no shortage of breath.

Should I just ride it out and stay indoors for the foreseeable? Already cancelled golf followed by family dinner on paddy's day.
              Firstly, hope you are better soon.

If I read your post right, you woke up in Cheltenham sick. And despite being sick, you travelled home to ireland?

That is depressing... You have to wonder how people out there under the same situation would go "fuck it, don't care if I have the symptoms, I am getting home come what may and fuck whoever unlucky enough to come near me?

I am not getting self righteous here, as I would probably do the same thing in that scenario, but it is a depressing thought.
              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Eoghan you should ring your GP / the HSE line and arrange a mobile test to your door. Confirming cases and all the data that comes with it is important from a public health perspective; as is the tracing effort.

Additionally, on the very low percentage change you get worse, you are on the radar and can be admitted with a minimum of fuss.

That's my two cents, feel better soon.
                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                  US travel ban to extend to Ireland and UK
                  Could be catastrophic for Aer Lingus

Comment

Hearing Dept of health briefing at 5.45 - even though they said there would be no briefings today or tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                      Good. Fuck em. Maybe they'll stop being the nut useless airline with some financial pressure. or go broke.
                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Were you cancelling either way or going if permitted?

Comment

This while working from home/lockdown shtuff was great when TV had some compelling sport on.

I'm left now with curling, and talking heads.

Decided I'd turn this into a positive and speed up work on some of the udemy courses I've been taking slowly.

or might go spend few hours putting in the basement.
                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Yeah look to be honest I had been on the batter for 2 days and smoking loads when I dont usually. I was full sure it was a bad hangover. Only in the evening did I get the chills/fever.

I have never had that before. Only sore throats and head cold.

To be honest I would have come home regardless. What is the alternative? Stay in a hotel for 2 weeks and possibly infect everyone there? Not be able to work for two weeks because I likely have a cold? Or come home where I can properly self isolate?

Get real will you.

LOL at Lao Lao, I wasnt winding up PSV. He was right to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                              Firstly, hope you are better soon.

If I read your post right, you woke up in Cheltenham sick. And despite being sick, you travelled home to ireland?

That is depressing... You have to wonder how people out there under the same situation would go "fuck it, don't care if I have the symptoms, I am getting home come what may and fuck whoever unlucky enough to come near me?

I am not getting self righteous here, as I would probably do the same thing in that scenario, but it is a depressing thought.
                              What should he have done instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                Were you cancelling either way or going if permitted?
                                Was moving it to summer time.

Comment

Keep well Eoghan.

Take Lloyds advice, it's the smart play.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                    Good. Fuck em. Maybe they'll stop being the nut useless airline with some financial pressure. or go broke.
                                    Friend is a captain there and he reckons they're a coin flip to collapse.

Comment

Friend is a captain there and he reckons they're a coin flip to collapse.
                                      Been spiralling the drain for a long time from what I gather.

Delta asking for help in the states. Lufthansa as well.
                                      SAS airlines in a bit of bother too.

Could be a cull on airlines.

That said, whats the long term prospects for a commercial pilot like? I was looking at jobs at Swoop here in Calgary recently and they are looking for lots of pilots but that might not be similar to a wider industry trend (especially now).

Comment

Jaysus Eoghan

I thought you were older than 36

Comment

A thin silver lining to the cloud. but surely a decent chance the fish quotient on online poker might be higher than normal for the next few weeks.
                                          Though so long since I played I'd probably be one of them.

Comment

If you dont pull through Eoghan we can name the Aintree tipping comp in your memory.

Feel better soon
                                            Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                              A thin silver lining to the cloud. but surely a decent chance the fish quotient on online poker might be higher than normal for the next few weeks.
                                              Though so long since I played I'd probably be one of them.
                                              I'm playing some low buy-in tourneys on Pokerstars. Absolutely confident I'm the fish. But shur.
                                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

One of the lads I was away with is now being tested in Vincent's. Ambulance sent to his gaff after he mentioned symptoms and Cheltenham to his doc.

I thought there was home testing? Called my GP and he said he wouldnt bother testing me yet as I haven't gotten worse and there is not a lot they can do anyway. He is gonna keep checking in with me and has ordered me steroids and antibiotics to take incase it's something else.

At least I can wait and see if my mate has it.

Comment

Yeah look to be honest I had been on the batter for 2 days and smoking loads when I dont usually. I was full sure it was a bad hangover. Only in the evening did I get the chills/fever.

I have never had that before. Only sore throats and head cold.

To be honest I would have come home regardless. What is the alternative? Stay in a hotel for 2 weeks and possibly infect everyone there? Not be able to work for two weeks because I likely have a cold? Or come home where I can properly self isolate?

Get real will you.

LOL at Lao Lao, I wasnt winding up PSV. He was right to be honest.

Not having a go at you to be honest, as I said previously, I probably would have tried to get home regardless if I was in the same situation.

The only thing is, you can imagine there are lot of people in that same boat and must be why the whole Cheltenham thing and other events like that are incredibly dumb to be allowed to go ahead.
                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

You'd think the Irish Times would remove their paywall for virus related news. The New York Times has done it.
                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Americans are going to have a national day of prayer. Solid plan.
                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

One of the lads I was away with is now being tested in Vincent's. Ambulance sent to his gaff after he mentioned symptoms and Cheltenham to his doc.

I thought there was home testing? Called my GP and he said he wouldnt bother testing me yet as I haven't gotten worse and there is not a lot they can do anyway. He is gonna keep checking in with me and has ordered me steroids and antibiotics to take incase it's something else.

At least I can wait and see if my mate has it.
                                                          If he does it will be big news.

Word needs to be strongly got to everyone who has returned to self isolate regardless of how they feel.

Wish you well Eoghan.
                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

More horrific numbers emerging from Italy. Nearly 3500 new cases plus 175 deaths today.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                              That said, whats the long term prospects for a commercial pilot like? I was looking at jobs at Swoop here in Calgary recently and they are looking for lots of pilots but that might not be similar to a wider industry trend (especially now).
                                                              They were great a week ago. Everyone with a license was virtually guaranteed an airline job. Place were I did my training abandoned general aviation and turned themselves into an airline pilot factory. Not looking like a great decision now. It's a strange business. Balanced on a knife edge even when things are good.

Comment

One element that I find somewhat distressing is the divergence of strategies between the Republic & NI.

Surely in order to obtain the greatest benefit of either strategy, there must be alignment on the island.

If the Republic uses containment strategies while NI uses their strategy of allowing the virus run its course then NI citizens will flock to the Republic undermining both strategies.

Intuitively it seems like a quintessential factor that's need to be resolved immediately. DUP & UUP seem to be the main sticking point on this repeatedly calling it a difference in timing and not objective.

Pretty sure timing might be key to the whole problem.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                    Surprised the airline leasing companies haven't all collapsed as they work on quite thin margins. Maybe long leases on rented planes.
                                                                    Lease terms tend to be quite long. Many larger firms have issued debt over the last while which will help.

Revaluation of assets leading to reduced balance sheets, and rental holiday demands / defaults from lessees will start to thin the herd pretty soon I'd guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                      One element that I find somewhat distressing is the divergence of strategies between the Republic & NI.

Surely in order to obtain the greatest benefit of either strategy, there must be alignment on the island.

If the Republic uses containment strategies while NI uses their strategy of allowing the virus run its course then NI citizens will flock to the Republic undermining both strategies.

Intuitively it seems like a quintessential factor that's need to be resolved immediately. DUP & UUP seem to be the main sticking point on this repeatedly calling it a difference in timing and not objective.

Pretty sure timing might be key to the whole problem.
                                                                      Was just on the news there that Varadker and a couple of others went to meet the leaders of the Northern parties to discuss an "All Ireland" approach to the virus. Hopefully they're big enough to do the right thing

Comment

Everything closed except essential services, everyone stays at home, largely only has contact with close family.
                                                                        I really wonder if they are waiting till Wednesday to shut pubs and restaurants down, vintners have a massive lobby group, certainly hope not.
                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

39 new cases. Fairly taking off now.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                            I really wonder if they are waiting till Wednesday to shut pubs and restaurants down, vintners have a massive lobby group, certainly hope not.
                                                                            I'm expecting an announcement on Monday to shut it down after Tony Holohan was on the news saying people should reduce their social activity. Can see the pubs being rammed on Tuesdsy if the govt dont shut it down.

Comment

Based on everything I've read, it seems pretty critical (and obvious) for pubs to be closed before Tuesday.

Comment

39 new cases. Fairly taking off now.
                                                                                Think this was expected due to the increased testing and quicker turnaround time on results (basically 2 days results into 1 vs previous daily base).

3% of tests coming back positive, which might be some cause of optimism

Hopefully we can continue to scale up test to get as close to real time reading as possible.

Ignoring economic impact, next play has to be close pubs before Paddys Day
                                                                                Last edited by Fullof..It; 14-03-20, 18:24.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                  Was just on the news there that Varadker and a couple of others went to meet the leaders of the Northern parties to discuss an "All Ireland" approach to the virus. Hopefully they're big enough to do the right thing
                                                                                  What's the right thing? Us to copy them?

Comment

You'd wonder if this drags on a bit when things become a bit lawless when those with little to no savings become desperate.
                                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

What's the right thing? Us to copy them?
                                                                                      Ivw no idea tbh. I don't think the UK seem to be handling things well from what I see. Meant the right thing as in work together and not turn it into a political pissing contest

Comment

Ivw no idea tbh. I don't think the UK seem to be handling things well from what I see. Meant the right thing as in work together and not turn it into a political pissing contest
                                                                                        The UK are doing things 'differently' and I think they are making a mistake, but that won't be proved until some time down the line.
                                                                                        Asking the Unionist side to 'do the right thing' as in copying our lead, is effectively asking them to publicly declare that their beloved Westminster has got this wrong. So you can't really separate this from politics.

Also our way is plausibly going to lead to stopping flights and ferries from Great Britain at some stage, hard to see how that could be acceptable to Belfast.

So sorry, but you are going to die because of politics.

Comment

A treatment will arrive soon and save us from continued Sports blackout . which surely is our biggest concern now.

Comment

I've heard there's been some community transmissions in Knocklyon. Nurse friend of a friend so take from it what you will.
                                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                I've heard there's been some community transmissions in Knocklyon. Nurse friend of a friend so take from it what you will.
                                                                                                Great stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

obnoxious stuff at this stage

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                    Feel better soon Eoghan.

I know this is no place for being rational, but given the incubation timelines - Max 14 days, Average 9 days, likely minimum 4.5 days if you do unfortunately have Covid19 in all probability you will have caught it in Ireland before you travelled so think back to last weekend and further and to who you were in close contact with and alert them as necessary.
                                                                                                    While we are being rational, don't forget all the people you were in contact with on the way to Cheltenham, all the people you were there with, bumped into, ate with etc, and then everyone you came in contact with on the way back.

Comment

seems like people are going full Rock Hudson on this.. (especially the UK)

Comment

Call it in to the helpline so you can get tested but let your mates who you went to Cheltenham know so they don’t visit anyone at risk. Also anyone else you were in close contact with.

Comment

The UK are doing things 'differently' and I think they are making a mistake, but that won't be proved until some time down the line.
                                                                                                          Asking the Unionist side to 'do the right thing' as in copying our lead, is effectively asking them to publicly declare that their beloved Westminster has got this wrong. So you can't really separate this from politics.

Also our way is plausibly going to lead to stopping flights and ferries from Great Britain at some stage, hard to see how that could be acceptable to Belfast.

So sorry, but you are going to die because of politics.
                                                                                                          As I said, I've no idea. Just trying to wrap my head around what's happening and following the news as much as I can. You seem pissed off at something I've said though and I dont know what. Not sure if your last line is serious but chances of me dying if I get the virus are very low, young and healthy with no medical issues. I'd rather not get it obvs but dont think it will be fatal if I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                            A treatment will arrive soon and save us from continued Sports blackout . which surely is our biggest concern now.
                                                                                                            Snooker from an empty hall in Gibraltar where the players are refereeing their own games if your only option!

Comment

As I said, I've no idea. Just trying to wrap my head around what's happening and following the news as much as I can. You seem pissed off at something I've said though and I dont know what. Not sure if your last line is serious but chances of me dying if I get the virus are very low, young and healthy with no medical issues. I'd rather not get it obvs but dont think it will be fatal if I do.
                                                                                                              ah here dobby yer getting paranoid, nothing in that post at all.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                                You'd wonder if this drags on a bit when things become a bit lawless when those with little to no savings become desperate.
                                                                                                                Yes is the answer, hence why we'll see more Gardai and Army on the streets.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                                                  Yes is the answer, hence why we'll see more Gardai and Army on the streets.
                                                                                                                  There were chaotic scenes at stores across the country after Leo Varadkar announced a raft of measures to stem the spread of COVID-19

Comment

Jaysus no, not pissed off with you at all. Apols if it came off that way. Just musing.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                      ah here dobby yer getting paranoid, nothing in that post at all.
                                                                                                                      Ah probably yeah. Was the last line threw me a bit

Comment

This is a good idea, help out any elderly locals etc...

Join our map of people and businesses who have offered to help out those who have self-isolated - or ask for help.

Comment

When you see desperate scenes in Italian hospitals and the levels of priortization the young are getting over elderly and then consider we've only 1/3 the ICU beds per capita in comparison in already overcrowded hospitals its proper terrifying to think what state our hospitals will be in a couple of weeks.
                                                                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X