Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      I'll let you be the doomster this time. I'm in the 'it'll all be grand' camp.

Moving as much spare cash into my trading account as I can. Going to get the house renovation out of this once zuutroy finds the cure.
      Very early no? This hasn't even gotten started yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
        Very early no? This hasn't even gotten started yet.
        Oh yeah, no rush obv

The stock I'm most excited about hoovering up is Ryanair. Rivals collapsing and the chance to buy oil forward at giveaway prices. Yum.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Came back from Vegas via Heathrow start of February, ended up bedridden for a few days, fever, shortness of breath, sore muscles and no appetite, no idea if the appetite is a symptom and obviously you're going to be weak after 3 days in bed with nearly no food but if you cant get it twice here's hoping I've gone through it.

Comment

Given all the craziness around bog rolls, an enterprising sort could probably make a few quid in cheap bidet kits/bum guns
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Oh yeah, no rush obv

The stock I'm most excited about hoovering up is Ryanair. Rivals collapsing and the chance to buy oil forward at giveaway prices. Yum.
              Yeah and 4bn cash on hand.

Although, knowing O'Leary he probably has 5 years of oil hedged at $100 a barrel.

Comment

Don't most Irish people feel that way after visiting Vegas?

Now that you're not dead, feel free to join the Cheltenham Tipping Comp. You're due a win imo.
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Less about my questions around Chinese measures and more about the tech. It feels like something out of Ocean's 13.

Originally posted by Reuters View Post
                  A Chinese company says it has developed the country’s first facial recognition technology that can identify people when they are wearing a mask, as most are these days because of the coronavirus, and help in the fight against the disease.

Now Hanwang Technology Ltd, which also goes by the English name Hanvon, said it has come up technology that can successfully recognize people even when they are wearing masks.

“If connected to a temperature sensor, it can measure body temperature while identifying the person’s name, and then the system would process the result, say, if it detects a temperature over 38 degrees,” Hanwang Vice President Huang Lei told Reuters in an interview.

The Beijing-based firm said a team of 20 staff used core technology developed over the past 10 years, a sample database of about 6 million unmasked faces and a much smaller database of masked faces, to develop the technology,

The team began work on the system in January, as the coronavirus outbreak gathered pace, and began rolling it out to the market after just a month.

It sells two main types of products that use the technology. One performs “single channel” recognition that is best used at, for example, entrances to office buildings.

The other, more powerful, product is a “multi-channel” recognition system that uses “multiple surveillance cameras”.

It can identify everyone in a crowd of up to 30 people “within a second”, Huang says.

“When wearing a mask, the recognition rate can reach about 95%, which can ensure that most people can be identified,” Huang said, adding the success rate for people without mask is about 99.5%.

Comment

Comment

Rugby off on Saturday

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                        I'd imagine it's just a straightforward improvement in the algorithm, no? Put extra learning focus on the visible parts of the face and de-emphasise learning from the mouth region.

London just deployed facial recognition service a few weeks ago.
                        I have my own thoughts on the use of generalised facial recognition software but if the 70% recognition rate and 1/1000 false positive rate is achieved without a mask on like the Met claims then it must be some improvement in in the algorithm if they're getting 99.5% without a mask and 95% with a mask.

Always the alternative of course

Comment

McIlroy's only real problem is that he was born post-Tiger so people have no concept of how hard closing out Majors/PGA tournaments on a regular basis is.

Obviously it's very enjoyable to see him fail to close but that's absolutely the norm for even the most talented.

There's only one exception.

Comment

Comment

Panic on the NYSE. Trading suspended after 7% drop.
                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Cork and Dublin parades cancelled

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                  Next should be all government trips abroad cancelled, and maybe put in a few hours next weekend and do what you are supposed to do in times of crisis.
                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

pubs would be the next logical step.
                                    Get your crates in now folks!
                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                      Next should be all government trips abroad cancelled, and maybe put in a few hours next weekend and do what you are supposed to do in times of crisis.
                                      Close the fucking airport
                                      airport, lol

Comment

Trump gone full balls to the wall with a dont believe the hype tweet
                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                          Can you imagine the run.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                            Trump gone full balls to the wall with a dont believe the hype tweet
                                            I'm shocked the military haven't taken him out of circulation by now.
                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Tesco have a few specials on at the minute, 20 bottles for 16 quid, Heineken, Coors Light, Bud, Carslberg and Bulmers are the ones included as far as I remember

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                Perhaps some confusion, just to be sure, I think anything outside of the majors and maybe tour champ/players, events hold little prestige for him so I don't think he suffers from the same pressure.
                                                The differences in the pressure between the two may in part lead to the discrepancy in stats between majors and standard events. I do think simple variance has a major part to play, a part bigger than most give credit to.
                                                I totally agree that some performances such as The Open & Masters showed up some mental lapses. The 1st at Portrush the most salient example.

Overall, my position on Rory is that his performances are viewed through the prism that he is supremely talented over and above the field.
                                                That is simply something I don't adhere to, I think he is the most talented on tour(w/o Tiger) but I don't believe the gap in talent is quite as big as people like to think.

Similarly in good faith, my very subjective opinion is; I think the superiority in Driving creates a cognitive bias that he is so much more talented than everyone else.
                                                Players, commentators, fans all place unjust weighting on the spectacle of Driving, believing that because he has mastered the Driver in a manner never seen before, clearly he has the ability to dominate every other facet in a similar way.

I believe that Driving is arguably the most important facet in the modern game which is why he is so highly ranked but dominance with it does not mean everything else should be equally as dominant.
                                                Given he often fails to meet those lofty heights with wedges/irons/putter, the immediate reaction is;"It must be mental, what else could it be? He crushes the driver so he should be crushing everything else."

I read the Rotella book a few weeks ago, it hasn't helped me, but I remember Faxon being mentioned quite a lot.
                                                This is fair, and I think this is something I can potentially be accused of being irrational about. But the mental lapses, definitely not. They are there imo. Obv I can't see inside his head but there is certainly evidence that warrants closer looks.

The variance argument is interesting because as you get better at golf, everything, including your scores, club dispersion, putting %'s suffer from less variance. Being a pro, means you are likely +2 - + 5 in terms of handicap. I think Tiger in his prime was a +7. The dispersion of scores for that level is a lot smaller than a 10 handicap. So in some ways, I think people give too much credit to variance. The fact Rory has been so consistent in top10's advocates this too.

The argument that because they are highly talented sportspeople and so are mentally strong in all cases is unfair to decent investigation.

I agree with a lot of the rest.

Anyway to close it off, I hope to fuck more than anything he wins the masters. He deserves it and he needs it.
                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I'd imagine the Chinese tech is making promises it can't deliver!

Personally don't like the tech, but if you're objective is to control society - as is openly the case in China - then you need the tech to back it up. Feel more judgemental of the UK which at least pretends to not be a police state.
                                                  Butt heads regularly with Chinese companies on this exact issue, their quality control is piss-poor when it comes to software.
                                                  Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                  https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Calgary in a panic today with the oil price falling through the roof.
                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Calgary in a panic today with the oil price falling through the roof.

Comment

Oh yeah, no rush obv

Boeing ihigh on my list.
                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Tiger out of the players. I know it was reported a few days ago but I thought he'd make it happen.

Comment

The whole of Italy on lockdown now.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                              The whole of Italy on lockdown now.

Opr
                                                              If this is indicative of anything then NK might be in serious trouble: https://www.businessinsider.com/almo...navirus-2020-3

Comment

Comment

My dad, much older than you, went the organic valve route. Believe he has a pig valve! All went very well. Must be coming up to 12 years ago now. Remember that in 15 years you must assume that medical knowledge will have advanced and that there may be better options then, at the very least it should be safer again to do the same operation of needed.

I'd go the organic route TBH.

Comment

Organic valve mainly because surgery should improve hugely in that time and also the options available should also improve dramatically.

Opr

Comment

Comment

Need to quarantine people returning from Cheltenham

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                          I'm shocked the military haven't taken him out of circulation by now.
                                                                          Hopefully corona will do the job, he’s in the prime cohort

Comment

Rory is the best, read his recent Kimmage interview, hes always worth listening to
                                                                            Pod had a good interview on Tommy tiernan recently also
                                                                            Compare with the absolute narcolepsy inducing drivel you get from rugby players

Comment

...

Comment

What would you choose?
                                                                                Organic.

On the blood thinners, remembering to take them really shouldn't be a problem. Cuts and scrapes are an issue, though a minor one in general. It's more the risk of internal bleeding that is a worry, even things like ibuprofen have to be avoided as it can cause stomach bleeding. You also have to stop taking them for minor procedures, like even dental work.

Comment

@AJ - I think you have put up links in the past to where Uefa stipulate that CL places can only be given on league performance not Cup competitions. Have you got a link for it? Been trying with no success to find out this.

Comment

Hope Simon Coveney has plenty soap for the new asshole he just got ripped for him on Claire Byrne
                                                                                    Bet they are all wishing Sinn Fein has got the extra seats now

Comment

He looked shook

Comment

Give it a week before same over here

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                                          @AJ - I think you have put up links in the past to where Uefa stipulate that CL places can only be given on league performance not Cup competitions. Have you got a link for it? Been trying with no success to find out this.

3.02 Associations are represented on the following basis:
                                                                                          a. one representative: winner of the top domestic championship;
                                                                                          b. two representatives: winner and runner-up of the top domestic championship;
                                                                                          c. three representatives: winner, runner-up and third-placed club in the top domestic championship;
                                                                                          d. four representatives: winner, runner-up, third- and fourth-placed clubs in the top domestic championship

There's no scope there to mix and match - all your entrants must come from the top x places of one competition.

Comment

Surely people on Facebook could be doing more
                                                                                            Haven’t heard of any profile picture campaigns against the virus
                                                                                            Worked after the France terror attacks?

Comment

...

Comment

Cheltenham going ahead
                                                                                                At least the attendees who don’t die will have to live with the shame and be ostracised for their selfishness for the rest of their lives

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Learning my lesson and quickly muting a twitter conversation before its inevitable descent into nastiness. Made a perfectly reasonable comment about some pregnancy doc pretending to be an epidemiology expert on tv. One minute later: the #mansplaining avalanche starts. Meh, anyone who wants can see it, but think its very reasonably written. Right before I muted the conversation it had spread to that famous cancer person getting involved and cheering on the promotion of 'speaks well' over actual expertise. yisser all doomed lads.

This isn't as embarrassing as your take on hospital beds, but it's close.

Comment

Thats exactly what they should do. Keep home anyone who coughs. As with the coughers you just don't know. They sow unease in these unstable times.
                                                                                                        I've been coughing me guts up all night.
                                                                                                        No fever, no shortness of breath really.
                                                                                                        Just coughing like a guy taking his first toke.

RIP ME

Comment

I've been coughing me guts up all night.
                                                                                                          No fever, no shortness of breath really.
                                                                                                          Just coughing like a guy taking his first toke.

RIP ME
                                                                                                          Have been doing the same myself all yesterday. Feel a lot better today. Ruining my last week of gardening leave but at least I don’t have to be on the train or work.

Comment

Some nice footage here. Now I want a toy sailboat!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

They've decided to trial the office working from home tomorrow.

They're a little untrustworthy of the junior staff with suspicions that they might take the piss a bit after some issues in the past with flexi-time.

I suspected the security might be a little lax but I was surprised how casual

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                                                  Have been doing the same myself all yesterday. Feel a lot better today. Ruining my last week of gardening leave but at least I don’t have to be on the train or work.
                                                                                                                  Gardening leave is definitely a humble brag.

Comment

It seems somewhat crazy that people are saying the vaccine is months away on one hand and yet have never taken the flu vaccine. As I've said before its 2020 some geniuses out there . This will be controlled via newly developed treatments etc. And people will chill.

Trump is comical right now . Back to his peak gobshite levels. Its remarkable he has so many supporters it really is.

Comment

...

Comment

Noticed lately when on there's always a lot of guests viewing, like 300-400 and not just viewing one section on the homepage but spread out all over. Whats that about?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                          Noticed lately when on there's always a lot of guests viewing, like 300-400 and not just viewing one section on the homepage but spread out all over. Whats that about?
                                                                                                                          mostly search engine spiders indexing websites and some bots and attempted spammers

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X