Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Western_Sean View Post
    This isn't exactly true he's apparently a GP who was working for an out of hours service. This involved spending some time in an A&E department while on call.
    A GP, who we should call after self isolating in his very situation. Cool beans. Thanks for the clarification all the same.
    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
      She's a lecturer/occasional columnist, arguing with economists and planners on twitter every day. She doesn't believe that supply affects prices, that we don't need higher density, and that planning isn't delaying building.

I'm used to seeing people aguing with such misguided zeal about religion, politics, moral issues. But this is something new altogether.
      Ta, hadn’t heard of her. Taking a quick scroll through her twitter. ‘We had more powers to object to planning in 2006 yet built 90k homes’, says one of her tweets. Wow. I think I’m going to be equally annoyed / entertained from following her.
      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Just spoke to a remarkably helpful ryanair customer support person. Wasn't sure they existed. Did take 45 mins on holds to get through mind....

Comment

Originally posted by Western_Sean View Post
            I think the no symptoms number is closer to 2% than 40%. (See here)The other point is that this is really just about slowing the spread so the health system isn't overrun at this stage. The 2 weeks strategy would most likely be reasonably effective in doing that. Horrible in the short term though.
            Fair enough, the 40% thing is not right, but what's the potential strategy in 2 weeks if most workplaces close and sporting events, schools, churches, etc? Surely it'll come to a point where for most people the cure is worse than the disease, so to speak.

Loads of businesses can't afford to have people off on extra paid leave, and loads of people can't afford to be off on unpaid leave. It's not practical. Having larger IT based organisations where home working is possible do that for a while is fine but again, not a practical long term issue, and won't be possible in a huge number of workplaces anyway.

I don't have a solution and I'm not suggesting there should be nothing to be done, but the strategy of telling people to wash hands and containing the riskier or sick ones is probably the best balance in my very uneducated (in this area) view.

Comment

Odds of my California holiday in 4 weeks going ahead?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                I was just saying to the missus yesterday that I'm glad we had no holidays planned this year.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                  I was just saying to the missus yesterday that I'm glad we had no holidays planned this year.
                  Shrap is probably booking bargain cruises
                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

We cancelled Northern Italy for April anyway, waiting to see if the flight will be cancelled to get that money back.

The wedding is booked for October though, it hasn't hit her that there is a possibility that may be in jeopardy but I'll obv keep my mouth shut for now.

I think anyone travelling in the next few months may simply have to decide the risk for themselves unless their hand is forced by a government which seems like a very small proportion of areas.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-03-20, 14:27.

Comment

A very good friend of Mrs Lao Lao moved out west a few years ago.

Just heard that the GP in question is her GP. She is 7.5 months pregnant on kid number 2. She and kid number 1 have been into the GP since he's been home from Italy although I'm not sure of the exact timelines.

She was meant to come back up to Dublin this weekend for a family shindig but that is now off as she is being told to stay put and self isolate.

Hopefully she is OK and neither her nor the kid has been infected

It is only a matter of time before we have a community based infection and once that happens, the flood gate is open

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                        all booked, going to Vietnam via Hong Kong!

Comment

Is that guy gonna be stripped of his license?

Comment

Thread title name change to . DRAMA DRAWERS

Comment

Out of date number, but less than a third of nurses here took the flu vaccine fairly recently https://www.thejournal.ie/nurses-flu...86843-Jan2018/

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                Ta, hadn’t heard of her. Taking a quick scroll through her twitter. ‘We had more powers to object to planning in 2006 yet built 90k homes’, says one of her tweets. Wow. I think I’m going to be equally annoyed / entertained from following her.
                                That's one of the worst takes I've ever heard

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                  A very good friend of Mrs Lao Lao moved out west a few years ago.

Just heard that the GP in question is her GP. She is 7.5 months pregnant on kid number 2. She and kid number 1 have been into the GP since he's been home from Italy although I'm not sure of the exact timelines.

She was meant to come back up to Dublin this weekend for a family shindig but that is now off as she is being told to stay put and self isolate.

Hopefully she is OK and neither her nor the kid has been infected

It is only a matter of time before we have a community based infection and once that happens, the flood gate is open
                                  Flood gates are open. There'll be a bad few days in the UK then it'll follow here.

With my sons condition we've to be very careful of flu and respiratory illness. They cant stress it enough, it's not just a dose it's life and death. I've rang up a few times looking to see if they've any info on how life should be lived now and what the thoughts are on COVID19 and they haven't had any brief or any thoughts on it at all. Just get the developing situation line. I work around people so tis a pickle.

I guess when it gets close I'm gona have to go live in my parents and my son and missus will have to live in isolation til things get better. Super.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
                                    Flood gates are open. There'll be a bad few days in the UK then it'll follow here.

With my sons condition we've to be very careful of flu and respiratory illness. They cant stress it enough, it's not just a dose it's life and death. I've rang up a few times looking to see if they've any info on how life should be lived now and what the thoughts are on COVID19 and they haven't had any brief or any thoughts on it at all. Just get the developing situation line. I work around people so tis a pickle.

I guess when it gets close I'm gona have to go live in my parents and my son and missus will have to live in isolation til things get better. Super.

Sure, just wash your hands, it'll be grand

Comment

In other news, Warren looks to have pulled out in the race for the White House, which was to be expected.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post

Isn't the advice for you now is the same as it is for all colds and flu, do your best to keep him isolated from it. Same handwashing, face touching, keeping awat from sick people regime but that all must be a terrible strain all the time... its just impossible to keep them free from these things.

On the positive the one thing they seem to be consistent with saying is that this virus is showing little or no symptoms in the under 10's
                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                          Isn't the advice for you now is the same as it is for all colds and flu, do your best to keep him isolated from it. Same handwashing, face touching, keeping awat from sick people regime but that all must be a terrible strain all the time... its just impossible to keep them free from these things.

On the positive the one thing they seem to be consistent with saying is that this virus is showing little or no symptoms in the under 10's
                                          Basically. It's been zero craic but doable. Need to get to the 18 month mark before he can be around others more. By then he'd be big, strong and allowed the flu shot.

The dodgy bit is now me, I could easily pick it up and be clueless. This is the only thing making this virus as big as it is. I do practice what I'm supposed to and it's actually fairly handy to spot who to avoid, I've gotten good at it. It's now got ten times harder and practically impossible.

The under 10s stat is a positive one but there's a flipside, underlying cardiovascular conditions are the highest death rate.

Comment

Comment

I'd say the onset of nicer weather will stop this getting out of hand. Definitely a huge factor when you look at areas affected - predominantly colder climates .
                                              Profit before people.

Comment

I watched Bombshell the other night and found it to be an excellent movie, I had mentioned The Loudest Voice to you the other week RDIII have a look at the trailer and see if it's something that might interest you.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Apparently attending the hospital for other issues when they tested him. Who knows how many have it now.

Independent.ie understands a person in Cork has contracted the virus - but unlike other Irish cases they have not been to northern Italy in recent weeks.

It is also believed the person was not in contact with any of the existing known cases. This raises the spectre of community spread of the virus.

One health source indicated the latest case may indicate that the virus has been undetected within the community in Ireland for some time before the first case was confirmed.
                                                  Coronavirus: First case of Covid-19 detected in Irish patient who has not been abroad

Opr

Comment

I've always said it, should just Nuke cork.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                      8/13

Youd be silently hoping no holidays without this!

Comment

Surely see some more serious measures now. They just announced 7 new cases today on the back of that Cork story.

Opr

Comment

Last edited by newbie2; 05-03-20, 20:37.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                Just thinking, if Lloyd was right on this, he's probably right on SF too.
                                                                They're ostensibly the most wealthy party so clearly doing something right: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...93162?mode=amp

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                  Surely see some more serious measures now. They just announced 7 new cases today on the back of that Cork story.

Opr
                                                                  We'll do something when it's too late. Genius.

Ministers were told at Wednesday’s Cabinet meeting that a broad range of “non-medical” interventions by the Government – including closures of public buildings, cancelling of some public transport services and travel restrictions – would be considered if transmission of the virus became widespread in the community.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                    They're ostensibly the most wealthy party so clearly doing something right: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...93162?mode=amp
                                                                    Doesn't Gerry Adams have 4 gaffs? And Mary Loo lives in a palatial mansion.
                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                      Was supposed to book a cruise for Easter on Monday. Only held off because the missus had a call from the doctor regarding some tests.
                                                                      Still leaning towards going

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                        I thought a few bits in the IT today were quite good. Obviously flying under the radar in light of the current predicament.

Originally posted by IT View Post
                                                                        Des Mackin is currently in the process of realising approximately €4 million that was left to the party by Mr Hampton, an unmarried English man who died in a public nursing home in Wales in 2018.

The executors of the 1997 will in which Mr Hampton left his estate to the party were Mr Mackin and late veteran republican Joe Cahill, who were Sinn Féin’s joint national treasurers at the time

Mr Mackin told The Irish Times that he did not necessarily disagree with the view of the Fianna Fáil leader, Micheál Martin, that Sinn Féin was run by unelected officials and not its political representatives.

“We don’t want a parliamentary party running the organisation,” he said. “We want to stay a party of activists. It’s a totally different model. There’s nothing mysterious about it.”

Comment

They are called safe houses not gaffs young man

Comment

The Trip is great. It and Better Call Saul coming back at the same time has me spoiled.

Comment

...

Comment

Comment

Gas to see the footage of the gig in Dalymount '79 in the Geldof hagiography on RTE now.

Rats were great, better than Lizzy but still only the third best act on the day Radiators were brilliant and Graham Parker and the Rumor played them all off the stage.

As well as I remember the gigs and who played what the thing I remember best of all as clear as crystal was the young wan walking up Cabra road in a white cheesecloth dress and nothing but a pair of pink knickers underneath.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

One of the four new cases yesterday in the west was a healthcare professional who worked a full A & E shift after returning from northern Italy.

Sorry, what the fuck? What type of fuckheads are there in the HSE that this could happen?! The person themselves are an absolute idiot too.
                                                                                    Do you know any hospital doctors? Trying to take a sick day is next to impossible.

See above, you’d have half the staff struck off.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                      Do you know any hospital doctors? Trying to take a sick day is next to impossible.

See above, you’d have half the staff struck off.
                                                                                      They've changed the criteria for healthcare staff now.

Previously they were expected to self isolate if they visited one of the 11 towns quarantined in Northern Italy, now it's simply 14 days self isolation if you've visited Northern Italy.

I find it hard to blame the doctor in this situation, if they were completely asymptomatic and expected to go back having followed the guidelines then they did little wrong.

Of course you can question the HSE decision to limit self isolation to those 11 towns but I've seen little that can place the blame on the doctor themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Of course you can question the HSE decision to limit self isolation to those 11 towns
                                                                                        Finding it hard to understand why they're dragging their heels on this. Even the UK are recommending 14 day self isolation for anyone whose been anywhere in Italy. As for going ahead with St Paddy day celebrations

Edit: The UK advice is if you've been there and feel ill. So still a bit lax imo
                                                                                        Last edited by ComradeCollie; 06-03-20, 08:24.

Comment

Case confirmed in tcd
                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Professor of life sciences from a university in the U.K. on morning Ireland there talking about how outcomes during the Spanish flu were remarkably different between cities that cancelled public events and those that didn’t. It’s not just what China did, irrespective of people’s emotional feeling on the Chinese regime. The only thing that works is significant social distancing and isolation. If we’re not trying that we’re not trying, and public health officials and politicians are essentially bare faced lying to the populace. It’s a virus, it knows no border, no political system and no race. And it cannot spread if people aren’t in close vicinity of other people.

Comment

Still 4 days left to get in your entries for the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Competition. Currently €1,150 in the pot, which is not to be sneezed at, especially in the current climate.

Comment

Professor of life sciences from a university in the U.K. on morning Ireland there talking about how outcomes during the Spanish flu were remarkably different between cities that cancelled public events and those that didn’t. It’s not just what China did, irrespective of people’s emotional feeling on the Chinese regime. The only thing that works is significant social distancing and isolation. If we’re not trying that we’re not trying, and public health officials and politicians are essentially bare faced lying to the populace. It’s a virus, it knows no border, no political system and no race. And it cannot spread if people aren’t in close vicinity of other people.
                                                                                                That was a good interview, his mention of the difficult choices about whether or not to close down a school and waiting on the Government to lead were interesting.

One thing I was hoping for yesterday , even if it was only to be window dressing, was for the acting government to ask for an all party committee to be put in place with cabinet or if necessary emergency level powers.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                    so this was fake news.

Springboard allows in all sorts of riff raff (myself included hopefully )
                                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Who let Denny on TV

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                        What are you thinking of doing?

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                            I'm doing one at the minute, not TCD mind you but Springboard really is a brilliant offer.

I have a dissertation idea -better than my own; check the economic advantages/career progression of paying full price for a course of a given level vs those using Springboard controlling for everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                              What are you thinking of doing?
                                                                                                              Not entirely sure.
                                                                                                              At the stage of my career where I can stick or twist Dev wise, either barrel further into Development or move into a more IT strategy/management role.

I'm approaching a glass ceiling in my current role (which I love) but bar pushing up my wages 5 or 6 k a year doing the same thing, I can't really go anywhere else until CTO leaves and if that happens, am I ready to take on his role.
                                                                                                              At the moment, there's a world of "serious business" type stuff that's pretty alien to me.

Comment

Still 4 days left to get in your entries for the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Competition. Currently €1,150 in the pot, which is not to be sneezed at, especially in the current climate.
                                                                                                                Now €1,250 and spreading like Coronavirus on a cruise ship.

With that kinda scratch, a guy could corner the market on face masks and hand gels.

Comment

Now €1,250 and spreading like Coronavirus on a cruise ship.

With that kinda scratch, a guy could corner the market on face masks and hand gels.
                                                                                                                  Still think it is going to get called off.
                                                                                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Waiting on a UPS delivery all week and went wondering where it was and lo and behold the efficient Germans had addressed it to Dice Ltd, Dublin, Ireland.

That being said it appears to be coming to me today anyway so before i go ring and enquire I shall see if these Germans (UPS) are actually quite clever.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                                      Still think it is going to get called off.
                                                                                                                      you're a bore now

Comment

Me and a couple of lads in the office have been betting on the Over / Unders on confirmed new cases in ROI every day.

over 6.5 got there last night.

Trying to set a line for the next 3 nights. What you think?

39.5 where i'm at right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                          Waiting on a UPS delivery all week and went wondering where it was and lo and behold the efficient Germans had addressed it to Dice Ltd, Dublin, Ireland.

That being said it appears to be coming to me today anyway so before i go ring and enquire I shall see if these Germans (UPS) are actually quite clever.
                                                                                                                          as long as IRELAND is in caps, you'll get it

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X