Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
    The 6/1 about FF/FG looks big.

Really not keen to be betting politics in this crazy world where we know opinion polling has been broken by runaway populism but if the numbers stack up anything like the polls indicate its either a simple arrangement with FG as coalition partner or a messy confidence and supply to them with some perm of Greens LAB Indos.
    they won't coalesce
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
      This is a really good watch tbf. Varadkar and Mary Lou both making more hay than Martin I think but everyone landing blows. I'd say it's Leo's best performance. Can't believe how watery Martin has been through the whole campaign.
      Boris has shown that you say nothing and let people elect you by default
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        Seems Pete won actually. So absolute collapse for Bernie who got twice that the last time in Iowa.
        Lot of tin foil had stuff going around about his association with the app that caused all the trouble.

I doubt very much that RDIII's golf betting strategy of lumping on the lad with the stupidest name is going to prove as profitable in this race.

I think there is a chance that one of the very few that have the potential to beat Trump, I've only two on that list Amy Klobuchar and Bloomberg. Probably more likely that they contrive to get themselves into such a mess that they do something outrageous like putting Hillary up again.
        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I doubt very much that RDIII's golf betting strategy of lumping on the lad with the stupidest name is going to prove as profitable in this race.
          Proven winning strategy sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
            they won't coalesce
            Neither of them will be able to rule out coalition with the Shinners next time around and that means that both parties are going to have to make significant changes in direction. Perhaps that makes coalition less likely for this election but I think it makes sense for both of them.

Mary Lou making a fairly mealy mouthed U Turn on the Paul Quinn murder.

Comment

Jaykers. Leo going to town on MaryLou.

How dare he take SF to task for their record in government?
              I misread that the first time I read it.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                  I'll have some of that
                  A second General Election to be called in 2020

And im a mug !

The maximum stake for this selection is €9.73
                  This is nice...
                  Fine Gael v Sinn Fein - Highest number of seats - Fine Gael v Sinn Fein - Highest number of seats, Sinn Fein 13/8
                  Last edited by oleras; 05-02-20, 00:24.
                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                      I'll ignore your sleight on Vietnam.

What do you mean by the above? Surely there are cases where it can be proven with absolute certainty?

I'm against capital punishment fwiw.
                      I used to think so but there really isn’t. I’ve had this discussion with criminal solicitor who has given practical examples of how there can always be an exception or reason for some doubt.

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                      Even where people confess you can’t be certain they did it. If you have 100 eye witnesses and CCTV footage, you can’t be certain the person didn’t commit the crime under duress, or by reason of automatism or mental issues or 100 other reasons. You might be absolutely certain of the action but not the motivation and if you can’t prove both, you can’t be certain of the crime as we require both a guilty act AND a guilty mind for almost any crime for which capital punishment could conceivably be used.

We cannot ever be 100% sure. In the absence of that, how can we ever risk being wrong?
                      This.

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                      A situation where a person records them committing a murder, are clearly identifiable in the video and clearly identify themselves in a video, and the contents of the video show they are clearly of sound mind.

Yes I’m contriving a situation but it’s not that unrealistic. The chap that shot up the church in Christchurch is a close similarity to above I suppose.

You could argue that anyone who shot up a church of innocent worshippers is insane I guess but I dunno if that’s a fair argument either.
                      Given the rise in technology what’s to say the video or audio wasn’t doctored? What’s to say the guy on the CCTV isn’t very very very similar but not the same. What’s to say the guard who caught the assailant red handed isn’t a party to the crime. There are no absolutes.

It’s a bit like the Law is an Ass comments, my mind changed when I studied law and you see the genesis of them is usually a far greater miscarriage.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                        Vietnam
                        You're dead right. Boo Vietnam.

Comment

I always wondered about this building

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                            You're dead right. Boo Vietnam.
                            Why do you think it’s a positive thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                              Why do you think it’s a positive thing?
                              What gave you the impression I did? I just posted it because it was interesting, I don't think we should start executing bankers. I didn't think I needed to post a disclaimer.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                I always wondered about this building

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...sale-1.4161575
                                I vaguely remember being at a protest there around 1990. No idea what was being protested for or against though. The whole thing got a bit chaotic when Bono turned up, and most of the crowd were minded to slag him off.
                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                  I don't think we should start executing bankers.
                                  A pledge we can stand behind. I was worried 2007-HJ had returned.

Comment

A pledge we can stand behind. I was worried 2007-HJ had returned.
                                    Preferably with a knife in our hand
                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Vote in Tipperary goes ahead on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                        Vote in Tipperary goes ahead on Saturday.
                                        Probably a good shout, gobshites like Mattie were certain to challenge the constitutionality of the whole election whereas the dead woman's family and political supporters are unlikely to make any fuss.
                                        You could still get some other nutjob bringing the whole thing through the courts I suppose.

I don't see why they couldn't just reprint the ballot papers without her on it or even put a sticker over her entry.

Comment

Probably a good shout, gobshites like Mattie were certain to challenge the constitutionality of the whole election whereas the dead woman's family and political supporters are unlikely to make any fuss.
                                          You could still get some other nutjob bringing the whole thing through the courts I suppose.

I don't see why they couldn't just reprint the ballot papers without her on it or even put a sticker over her entry.
                                          I'm very much in favour of the reprinting.

Comment

Save to say the teachers have the worst chants of any protest that's passed by merrion square.

Comment

Save to say the teachers have the worst chants of any protest that's passed by merrion square.
                                              Yeah I heard them.

What do we want?

Not to teach!

When do we want it?

Not to Teach eh more Pay!

What do we want ?

Not to , MORE PAY

When do we want it?

The 25th of Every month, but preferably before that if the 25th falls on the weekend?

Comment

I was part of that march (with my wife and little fella!) briefly! Lasted from behind the garden of rememberance to just the Gate, that took 1 hour as it was slow to start as you'd expect, then I had to hop on a Luas to work.

Pity they are protesting against a Government that's on the way out, way less attention will be given as a result. Childcare is messed up, the hourly salaries the workers are on are MAD considering the responsibility and importance of what they do. I've no ideas on how to fix though, as I don't think the market can bare much higher fees and the only other option is more money from the government, and you're competing with the black hole of Health, and now Housing, for their massive slices of the pie.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                  I was part of that march (with my wife and little fella!) briefly! Lasted from behind the garden of rememberance to just the Gate, that took 1 hour as it was slow to start as you'd expect, then I had to hop on a Luas to work.

Pity they are protesting against a Government that's on the way out, way less attention will be given as a result. Childcare is messed up, the hourly salaries the workers are on are MAD considering the responsibility and importance of what they do. I've no ideas on how to fix though, as I don't think the market can bare much higher fees and the only other option is more money from the government, and you're competing with the black hole of Health, and now Housing, for their massive slices of the pie.
                                                  Just give everyone a pay increase. Increase the 40% ceiling. And freeze spending.

Strange how union peeps never suggest this.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                    What do we want?
                                                    You spend your whole childhood hating teachers because they treat you like shite. Then once you've left school you spend the rest of your life hating them because of the holidays they get.

I had a primary teacher who stank. He stank every day, stank , and I never knew what he stank of until I was an adult. He stank of drink. Every day.

Comment

Ah, I didn't realise it was child care. I thought it was part of the teacher parity business.

Comment

Ah, I didn't realise it was child care. I thought it was part of the teacher parity business.
                                                        Primary school teachers are like CEOs compared to childcare workers, when salaries and conditions are compared!

BTW I also think the school teachers on the lower levels are being screwed and that the lack of parity is wholly disgraceful. Don't blame the government for it though, even though they signed off on it; that's 100% the fault of the teaching unions pulling up the ladder behind them when austerity measures were necessary.

Our society is full of vested interests, just like every other society. Man it would be amazing if anyone got to smash up some of them! Easy to say but I imagine extremely difficult to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                          If he hasn't just lied about that figure of 20k homeless in NI I'm a Healy Rae voter.
                                                          Poor auld Danny's in trouble after all

Our verdict

False. While the official figures are that just under 20,000 households presented as homeless in Northern Ireland in 2018, only 12,512 met the legal requirements of homelessness and were accepted as “full duty applicants”.

Comment

Tipperary constituency voting has taken a strange turn for no apparent reason after the market reformed. It returned with betting much the same as before but has taken a turn.

Lowry from 1/50 at one stage to 1/6 now.

I placed 400 on Alan Kelly at 1/4 at 1pm and he is now 1/3.

Two Fine Gael suddenly in Top 5.
                                                            Last edited by tipp86; 05-02-20, 16:32.
                                                            Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

I see Hitch’s mate Eoghan getting good mileage out of the new Daft publication that rents are down for the first time in 7 years by a whopping 0.1%. Dublin rents still up 3.5%, though that is the slowest increase since 2008, all other cities up too.

One thing that appears a decent indicator is that there are 10% more homes to rent in Feb than in Feb of last year.
                                                              Ronan Lyons is pretty decent at breaking down the economics of the housing sector. Ambivalent to RPZ but rental control is a terrible idea as the bedrock of housing policy.

Comment

Whats not to like about the Greens cost rental housing plan?

Obv its not going to solve anything in a hurry and isn't going to make up a huge % of the market but as a long term plan it sounds like a no brainer and I haven't heard any of the main parties even take on Ryan over it

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                                  on Alan Kelly at 1/4 at 1pm and he is now 1/3.
                                                                  Are Labour even still in this election, havebn't heard a peep out of them in ten days!

Is my mate Jack O'Connor running for them in Wickla or somewhere odd like that?

Is there anywhere I can see polling by constituency?

Comment

Are Labour even still in this election, havebn't heard a peep out of them in ten days!

Is my mate Jack O'Connor running for them in Wickla or somewhere odd like that?

Is there anywhere I can see polling by constituency?
                                                                    Rte have an election map where you can click onto each constituency and see all your favorite labour people and the odd shinner (the will be the ones with the smirks on their faces)

Comment

Whats not to like about the Greens cost rental housing plan?

Obv its not going to solve anything in a hurry and isn't going to make up a huge % of the market but as a long term plan it sounds like a no brainer and I haven't heard any of the main parties even take on Ryan over it
                                                                      Perhaps the potential liability to the state could be rather high?
                                                                      If 30,000 units are needed to keep up with demand at an average cost of 230k(I think), that becomes quite substantial.

It covers the cost now but in the event some downturn, property prices may reduce and the state is facing down the barrel of a large liability with reduced tenancy. Now I think the economy would have to regress rather substantially but is that a risk?

Comment

Pretty cool feature on Winamax where you can see every hand of the latest jackpots won in the Espresso games. (not sure if it's blocked in Ireland)

Some sick beats when playing for a million.

Some sickenly bad play when playing for half a mill!

Comment

Had to dip my toe into the rental market yesterday to get a 2 bed for two lads over from Germany for 12 months. Seems fairly hectic out there but managed to nail down one in Rathgar for 1950 a month

90+% of emails to both private and letting agents ignored it seems.

By coincdence I had rented one in the same building back in 2002 for 950 a month.

Comment

Can't be listening to a lot of this Election bollocks. Like it's been over 12 years and 3 GE's later since that poor lad was murdered up in Monaghan and now its decided it's a political football and the most important thing we need to be focusing on.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                              Can't be listening to a lot of this Election bollocks. Like it's been over 12 years and 3 GE's later since that poor lad was murdered up in Monaghan and now its decided it's a political football and the most important thing we need to be focusing on.
                                                                              If you're thinking of voting for a party to run the country in which you live, a reminder of who they actually are is no harm.

MaryLoo and the other fat yoke up North are mouthpieces.

Comment

If you're thinking of voting for a party to run the country in which you live, a reminder of who they actually are is no harm.

No need to ram this particular incident down the electorate throat. Plenty other reasons to vote for/against Sinn Fein. This one not particularly high compared to some of the other issues people should be deciding on.

Comment

You can put all parties into that category just change the fat jibe to whatever suits each party

People seem to be sick of the last 20 years of tripe and are crying out for someone to say something different although they will renage on 90% of their promises

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                                                                                        You can put all parties into that category just change the fat jibe to whatever suits each party

People seem to be sick of the last 20 years of tripe and are crying out for someone to say something different although they will renage on 90% of their promises
                                                                                        A mindless rush to change gets you Brexit. Or Trump.

Comment

Yeah its pure silliness and lessons the actual event for it to be used as some out of context political thing.
                                                                                          Sure all SF have to do is condemn the murder of Paul Quinn unreservedly, condemn the demonising of the dead guy by certain SF elected representatives and promise to cooperate with any police investigations.

That puts the issue to bed. Easy.

Comment

A mindless rush to change gets you Brexit. Or Trump.
                                                                                            Agree with u there
                                                                                            But unfortunately people are following the yellow brick road and seeing and hearing new riches
                                                                                            Both main parties to combine and make a super party

Comment

Me thinks that might not be their best idea ever somehow...

Comment

Agree with u there
                                                                                                But unfortunately people are following the yellow brick road and seeing and hearing new riches
                                                                                                'New riches'? I think people are just being sold populist bullshit and will happily swallow the lie that others will pay.

Comment

Cooked that vegan curry Hitch posted a couple of times. Expected to be starving within minutes but it was actually reasonably filling. Something 'empty' about it when eating it, but nice and light for the odd evening.
                                                                                                  Also been working on French omelettes. Jesus they're good compared with the Irish Mammy omelettes I'd been eating for my entire life.

Comment

Eoin O Broin is after releasing a poll by Survation done for Sinn Fein that has FG on 17%, FF on 22% and SF on 25%. Greens on 9% & Lab on 6%. It's going to be an interesting few days.

I still haven't a breeze who I'll vote for.

Comment

Spartacus gone. 103 a ripe old age. Don't wanna see that myself , grim even if you are Loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                        Spartacus gone. 103 a ripe old age. Don't wanna see that myself , grim even if you are Loaded.
                                                                                                        say that when you're 92, or a 102

Comment

I saw one for Zuutroy today in the IT, the field of aero acoustics and the development of aircraft with the goal of reducing the noise produced via engines:

Comment

Reading Paschal’s interview in The Currency this morning, he is clearly on a different level of ability to any minister of finance in recent times and any likely candidates this time round. It’s a pity himself, Leo and Coveney all share a charisma deficit.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                                                                                                                Reading Paschal’s interview in The Currency this morning, he is clearly on a different level of ability to any minister of finance in recent times and any likely candidates this time round. It’s a pity himself, Leo and Coveney all share a charisma deficit.
                                                                                                                paywalled.
                                                                                                                expensive paywall at that!
                                                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Leinster-Saracens tickets go on sale Thurs @10am to the hoi polloi...
                                                                                                                  Sold out already? Can't get anythingn ticketmaster

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                      Sold out already? Can't get anythingn ticketmaster
                                                                                                                      just got mine!! C'mon Sarries!

you'll be cheering sarries as well no?

Comment

Don't understand the pricing model. €25 a month for a few part-time journos.
                                                                                                                        Perhaps a joint fund of IPB people that contribute to subs of all news outlets that we think are worth a sub.

Something like an IPB feedly

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                          That's a bit unfair, in fact it was Lynn Boylan's pathetic performance on the radio last weekend whinging that 'stuff like this' is only brought up at election time that really got the story legs in the media.
                                                                                                                          The fact is it's the lads Mother and family who are bringing it up and have been doggedly fighting his corner every day of their lives since he was murdered having been literally pulverised by SF / IRA people and then in death smeared by the man who is now Sinn Fein Minister for Justice in Northern Ireland and who continues to refuse to name to the police the people he knows were involved. You'll find countless mentions of the story in the media outside election time, I remember mentioning here a piece Newsnight did on it regarding brexit and the border not too long ago.

Mary Lou continues to answer to the men behind the curtain. When a minister in the North wants to act on policy he must clear it with an unelected backroom committee that still controls SF. If MaryLou goes into coalition talks its them that will tell her what she can and cannot concede.

Look, I know most of ye are kids and don't know or remember who these people are and what they represent. Ignore the past if you want to and just look at how they deal with dissent in their own party and how they deal with the media. Observe what is going on in the US and UK and ask yourself if a vote for SF brings us closer to or further away from that kind of authoritarian control of parliament and media?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X