Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racing 32 - 13 Munster unfortunately

Comment

Deegan scores every week

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
        Racing 32 - 13 Munster unfortunately
        That's very precise.

This Leinster game is dreck, Lyon just stubborn spoilers.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I'm gonna say a 20-20 draw in Gay Paree.

Comment

Nice to give these young lads like S Cronin and R Kearney a run out.

Comment

Oooh la la what a pass
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                Oooh la la what a pass
                And then they butcher a simple three on one. Munster doing very well here.

But yeah, that pass was worth the price of a season ticket.

Comment

Conway's read there is excellent, the definitive 14 point swing.

Comment

Wayne Barnes deciding to kill the game all by himself. Just give the fooking try and let's get on with things!

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

No better way to have it, I just put it out one slice deep on as big a serving dish as I can, I'll usually put a layer of rocket over it too.

Open the pack and leave it at room temperature for a little while then separate out the slices as best you can doesn't matter if it shreds a bit.
                        'twas well received and used one of these boyos to create the parmesan shavings. Drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and some rocket too.

Just down to one of the salamis now and the bolgna gear, which I'm slightly frightened of.

The salami di coscia will be consumed on the TGV to Montpellier, which end I'm sure you will approve of.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                          Thought this was quite interesting. Wonder what the endgame is.
                          I thought your Duran Duran tweet was far more interesting. Particularly the fact that I had already read the same article, and hadn't noticed the name.
                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Texans & Chiefs first half was wow.
                            Chiefs up 28-24 after being 0-24.

Comment

One of those cartel boys found dead in Spain? Where's Rounders when you need him....

Comment

Sylvester Geoghegan on first dates.
                                There's a blast from the past
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Was wondering why he was trending on the Hendon mob website
                                  pandapower99.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                    Don't worry. I already decided when I saw what won the Young 'Scientist'.
                                    Bringing a whole new meaning to transition year

Comment

At this rate, Met Eireann could announce a 'Code Purple Asteroid Attack' and nobody would bat an eyelid.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Was only talking to someone about him the other day. The year he had his 40k cash in the Irish open, part of my job that weekend was giving players their prizes in cash and getting them to sign for them as they got knocked out.

I'd been plodding along handing out increasingly large bundles of money to folks with 18th upwards getting 10k+. He was the first person who raised any sort of concern that it might not have been the best idea to have been so visibly wandering around with an envelope stuffed with money.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Its going to be scary the amount of Green votes in this election from otherwise sensible folk. Green policies are clearly vital and need those as a major government focus, but voting greens is voting FF into office as they have this weird obsession with FG being some form of Tory-lite. Looking at their policies they seem far more interested in positioning themselves to the left of Paul Murphy in terms of policies than actual green policies. Remember reading that at one point they had launched objections to every single wind farm proposed in the country.
                                              It would not surprise me if there was something objectionable in every wind farm proposal in the country. Do you think they're opposed to wind energy?

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good deep cleaning crowd?
                                                Father in law getting a triple bypass today and I need to ensure the house is fucking spotless for him whenever he comes home. We will most likely go convalescence care for 2 weeks if needs be but just in case want to make sure the place is ready for him
                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Father in law getting a triple bypass today and I need to ensure the house is fucking spotless for him whenever he comes home. We will most likely go convalescence care for 2 weeks if needs be but just in case want to make sure the place is ready for him
                                                  Here??

Comment

Boards skins seem to be going for good this time.
                                                    The remaining options are an assault on the eyes.

Hi all, Over the last few months, we have been working on improvements and upgrades to the foundations that Boards is built upon.

Comment

Its going to be scary the amount of Green votes in this election from otherwise sensible folk. Green policies are clearly vital and need those as a major government focus, but voting greens is voting FF into office as they have this weird obsession with FG being some form of Tory-lite. Looking at their policies they seem far more interested in positioning themselves to the left of Paul Murphy in terms of policies than actual green policies. Remember reading that at one point they had launched objections to every single wind farm proposed in the country.
                                                      I was having a conversation with a friend at the weekend that went like this:

"So who are you voting for in the election?"

"Not FG anyway, they're very right wing."

"Really. Very right wing are they? Tell me the most terribly right wing thing they've implemented."

<could not think of anything but adamantly refused to change direction. Will probably vote Green>

Perceptions are mad.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 13-01-20, 11:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

She prefers to watch Mrs Hinch videos than do any actual cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                            Boards skins seem to be going for good this time.
                                                            The remaining options are an assault on the eyes.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...#post112184230
                                                            Ugh

I think they overthink things. Like they started a meeting with the idea of promoting renewable energy sources like wind and then someone said 'but what about seagulls who will crash into them?' and then ended up coming up with a policy for protecting seagulls and forgetting why started the meeting in the first place.

They seem to frequently miss the bigger picture unlike Green parties in a lot of other countries. E.g. opposing waste-to-energy when its the only current feasible alternative to landfill on the grounds that 'we shouldn't be producing that waste in the first place'. Thats all well and good but it meant we used landfill for about 20 years longer than most other countries rather than turning it into energy to heat homes and power grids.
                                                            The assertion that a party that has been in government for about three and half years in the history of the state delayed incinerators by 20 years is fairly questionable, but either way has no relevance to the notion that 'they object to windfarm developments' is a facile argument.

There's loads of stuff the Green Party say that makes me roll my eyes, but honestly I can't imagine a major development anywhere in the state that wouldn't merit some form of objection to its initial plan.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                There's loads of stuff the Green Party say that makes me roll my eyes, but honestly I can't imagine a major development anywhere in the state that wouldn't merit some form of objection to its initial plan.
                                                                I mean, this is a bit important I think. There's an increasingly hostile attitude to people objecting to developments in Ireland in the last couple of years - people going nuts because a project can be delayed for years because of the concerns for the habitat of the local slug. The thing is, the problem isn't someone justifiably worrying about damage to natural habitats, the problem is the lengthy delays. These are a problem with the system, but the sentiment seems to be that the solution is banning objections which is anti-democratic and just typically fucking dense.

I remember asking here before if there was any reason the government couldn't double (or 10X) ABP's budget for the sake of making planning much faster, never did figure out why we can't just train way more decision makers for the planning system.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Theres all types of reasonable grounds for objecting, don't think that should be changed. Although An Taisce consistently trying to keep the country as it was in its misery 100 years ago for buildings of negligible architectural merit does no benefit to their overall worthy aim. Like the idea of a Green Party a lot, I just think the Irish green party are not a very good green party. That comment from the candidate from achill island about never going into power with FG shows how ideological they are. Its either FF or FG to go into coalition with and how they could possibly think that FF, about 70% elected by elderly farmers, would be on their side, is bizarre.

Might still be worth voting Green though as at least it would send a message to the bigger parties that they need strong green policies - e.g. proper investment in cycle routes etc. Just kinda hope they don't fuck up anything, as their last time in power was mainly aimed at stopping things rather than starting things. Can't remember a single thing they actually started.

Regarding your earlier point about W2E. Greens kinda emerged in strength from the anti waste-to-energy movement (largely built on pseudo science, while rest of Europe was cleaning up their environments with W2E plants) and it was that which delayed the building for so long. Think it was one of their conditions for going into gov - that the plant would be stopped.
                                                                      That's a key point I think.

Comment

In no way a spelling Nazi but the amount of people who use "loose" for "lose" seems very high.

Comment

In no way a spelling Nazi but the amount of people who use "loose" for "lose" seems very high.
                                                                          All I could think of.

Although the trampoline was loose.
                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

*bump*

Comment

Quiet v quite is rampant
                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                I mean, this is a bit important I think. There's an increasingly hostile attitude to people objecting to developments in Ireland in the last couple of years - people going nuts because a project can be delayed for years because of the concerns for the habitat of the local slug. The thing is, the problem isn't someone justifiably worrying about damage to natural habitats, the problem is the lengthy delays. These are a problem with the system, but the sentiment seems to be that the solution is banning objections which is anti-democratic and just typically fucking dense.

I remember asking here before if there was any reason the government couldn't double (or 10X) ABP's budget for the sake of making planning much faster, never did figure out why we can't just train way more decision makers for the planning system.
                                                                                The Govt are trying to get through legislation at the moment making it a lot harder for people to Judicially Review decisions but can see that getting legally challenged itself if they ever try to implement it!!

No-one is justifiably worried about the local slug, its just the best way to object or get a scheme overturned in court is on the basis of ecology and appropriate assessment because of how that legislation has been introduced / worded.

There are not enough planners even if the Govt was to throw money at ABP, we find it very difficult to get senior staff with Irish experience and think the last 2 persons employed here only have experience in England and Oz so it takes them a huge amount of time to get up to speed with the Irish system.

And just on what Hitch said, of course you should be able to fire Planners in the Councils / ABP when things slow down, that's what happens in the private sector! Few people have jumped ship here recently into public work on that basis and find it bizarre. And An Taisce are a disgrace IMO

Comment

*bump*
                                                                                  Darlen Cleaning did a good job after we had work done in the house
                                                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Big LOL at Andyfatbastard thanking this post and he doesnt know the difference between have and of

Comment

...
                                                                                      Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 13-01-20, 14:46.

Comment

It will more than likely turn out that the lesson the Irish electorate will have taken out of the last ten years is that Fianna Fail can be completely forgiven for bankrupting while the Labour party should be punished for playing their part in cleaning up the mess.

Comment

...

Comment

It will more than likely turn out that the lesson the Irish electorate will have taken out of the last ten years is that Fianna Fail can be completely forgiven for bankrupting while the Labour party should be punished for playing their part in cleaning up the mess.
                                                                                            That already happened in 2016.

Electorates do have a natural desire for change. It's something that shouldn't be underestimated.

Look at the US. Generally after a two-term presidency of one ilk, voters then decide to put the other crowd in.

Truman - Ike -JFK/LBJ - Nixon/Ford - Carter - Reagan - Bush I - Clinton - Bush II - Obama - Trump

Only one break in the sequence there (Bush I) and he got in on the coattails of a very popular president.

Bertie was likewise an anomaly here.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                              At this rate, Met Eireann could announce a 'Code Purple Asteroid Attack' and nobody would bat an eyelid.
                                                                                              Lovely sunny afternoon out there now. Gangsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                That already happened in 2016.
                                                                                                Absolutely, but what I'm getting at is that this time around I don't expect any great rebound for Labour and we are probably going to end up with some of the chief architects of the bust back in power.

Comment

...They really are Angles...

Comment

If Democracy can deliver us Trump, The Iranian Theocracy, Hitler, Putin, Bertie, Brexit, Berlusconi etc. ad nauseam then maybe its time we should consider that there could be better ways of delivering the social contract between state and citizen.

There are people who argue that the Chinese system has been more successful in delivering for its citizens in the past 50 years than any western democracy.
                                                                                                    I think the point here is that not every situation is best served by a democracy, for one to work you need a certain standard of education so that votes are rational. There are situations where non-democratic solutions can be outperformers but they will clearly sacrifice in other areas. For instance a post-war reform may be better suited to a benevolent dictatorship where infrastructure, food and shelter is prioritized.

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                    Whether or not Singapore is more successful as a dictatorship is a bit of a moot point. As Roman history teaches us dictatorships are at points often very successful, the problems arise when someone finds themself in power who is unsuited for the role, either by incompetence or bloodthirstiness. Dictatorships have no rational method to tranfer power.
                                                                                                    This is the point, there are times when it suits better, it’s just hard to see how you would ever wish for one having been in a functioning democracy already.

Very funny, a face I hadn’t seen in years!

. Just kinda hope they don't fuck up anything, as their last time in power was mainly aimed at stopping things rather than starting things. Can't remember a single thing they actually started.
                                                                                                    I’m not sure but I believe they were behind the successful plastic bag levy and perhaps also the smoking ban?

I'd say the real practical difficulty is that once you hire a load of planners you can't then fire them when things slow down, so hiring in public sector tends to significantly lag behind need because of this caution. They seem to be doing 'grand' now at improving speeds? Problem seems to be more that people can object for reasons that are not fair to the broader community - e.g. interfering with views. As if you buy a permanent right to a view when you buy a property.
                                                                                                    You can’t successfully object on grounds of an impacted view, you can object to the reduction of light though but it’s a much higher bar.

Comment

Sigh.

My oul lad is talking about voting FF back in. I have to explain recency bias to him, and the fact that he needs to be sure the corruption has been taken out by the roots before he does that.

No such luck.

I am almost certain FF take majority again in next election.
                                                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                        I am almost certain FF take majority again in next election.
                                                                                                        Nobody is getting a majority in an Irish election, possibly ever again in our lifetimes.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Michael Martin for smoking ban and Noel Dempsey for plastic bag levy. Both FF.
                                                                                                              Gave Strewel the Bus Pass too.

Comment

Michael Martin for smoking ban and Noel Dempsey for plastic bag levy. Both FF.
                                                                                                                They may have been the minister in charge but I thought they were Green Party initiatives. Well open to correction though.

Comment

Smoking ban came in in 2004 (legislation a few years before this) so it was before the Green coalition government anyway.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                                                                        ...They really are Angles...
                                                                                                                        I taught that was the correct way of spelling it

Comment

I'd say the real practical difficulty is that once you hire a load of planners you can't then fire them when things slow down, so hiring in public sector tends to significantly lag behind need because of this caution. They seem to be doing 'grand' now at improving speeds? Problem seems to be more that people can object for reasons that are not fair to the broader community - e.g. interfering with views. As if you buy a permanent right to a view when you buy a property.
                                                                                                                          You cannot object because of interference with a view - loss of light yes but nobody is entitled to a view.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X