Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    He wouldn't have bought them in the first place!
    He'd have rammed Jesse Lingards smart phone up his arse .

Comment

Getting kicked out a country that you spent $7bn on to 'liberate' seems somewhat regressive.
      Theres been no kicking out, and now, with Iraq lodging a formal complaint about the missiles the posturing about kicking them out will be walked back.
      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
        Just had my first ever vegan Magnum. Excellent stuff, and currently €3.50 for 3 in Tesco.

It's true. Acceptance of death does come when you realise the world you knew is slowly dying with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
          Refried Beans look absolutely vile, and taste unreal.

What else is in this category?
          your ma

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
            It's true. Acceptance of death does come when you realise the world you knew is slowly dying with you.
            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Just had my first ever vegan Magnum. Excellent stuff, and currently €3.50 for 3 in Tesco.

They're class, well impressed. The almond ones are best. Ben & Jerry's vegan ones are excellent too.
              There is so much stuff coming out now I can't even keep up. Next thing I'm trying is a stuffed crust bbq jackfruit pizza from Chigago Town. Had garlic "chicken" kievs the other day from M&S, perfect.

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              Might be too similar but lentils look woeful when cooked.
              Depends on the type of lentil!

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Comment

Escargot.
                Black Pudding.
                Steak Tartare.
                Duck Liver Pate.
                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                  They're class, well impressed. The almond ones are best. Ben & Jerry's vegan ones are excellent too.
                  There is so much stuff coming out now I can't even keep up. Next thing I'm trying is a stuffed crust bbq jackfruit pizza from Chigago Town. Had garlic "chicken" kievs the other day from M&S, perfect.
                  Basically every product by https://coconutco.co.uk/

Comment

it's for real now!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                      Basically every product by https://coconutco.co.uk/
                      Been seeing those recently but not tried. I've started an instagram to post new vegan things the other day and I can't keep up. Some stuff is under the radar too like all of flora went vegan some time ago and nobody noticed.

Comment

Just in the interest of clarity, I have not gone vegan. I'm just avoiding the lactose, and haven't had ice cream since July 2018. Had a nice rib eye for dinner before the Magnum.

Comment

Some stuff is under the radar too like all of flora went vegan some time ago and nobody noticed.
                          Nobody listens to people who eat margarine that’s why it’s under the radar.

Comment

Margarine is by far the bread spread of choice in western Canada. Butter almost vilified.

Weirdos

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Been seeing those recently but not tried. I've started an instagram to post new vegan things the other day and I can't keep up. Some stuff is under the radar too like all of flora went vegan some time ago and nobody noticed.
                                  Their vanilla yogurt and salted caramel pots are the best I've tried thus far.

I started making my own coconut yogurt recently as it couldn't be easier.
                                  I suppose the only pitfall is making sure you use a probiotic only capsule as I know capsules containing both pre and probiotics ruin it.

Trying to kick dairy and red meat for now but it certainly isn't easy.

Comment

Their vanilla yogurt and salted caramel pots are the best I've tried thus far.

I started making my own coconut yogurt recently as it couldn't be easier.
                                    I suppose the only pitfall is making sure you use a probiotic only capsule as I know capsules containing both pre and probiotics ruin it.

Trying to kick dairy and red meat for now but it certainly isn't easy.
                                    I think it's definitely best done in stages. Like buying oat milk or whatever plant butter (Naturli in Dunnes is nice, their mince is awesome too) at home first of all, while eating stuff out still. I'll generally recommend people expand what they cook/eat rather than just stop eating things cold turkey (hoho) as it can feel like you are not restricting yourself then. It's not all or nothing. Learn to cook more meals and simply make them instead over time, learn what subs you can make and so on. Any particular Q's about any of it, fire away.
                                    Your tastebuds change based on what you eat also, the more of the other stuff you have the more you like it.

That's pretty cool that you are making your own yogurt. Love a good coconut based yogurt, koko is my favourite so far, and like their cheese in things, especially with relish.
                                    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 09-01-20, 00:09.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Why are you trying to get rid of dairy out of interest? An environmental thing?
                                          No not environmental, the animal ethics is interesting but not enough at least so far to make me change by itself.

I consume too much red meat and dairy(especially cheese, ice cream) so I thought I'd try cut it out at the source rather than pick and choose.
                                          It's more of a health decision, I eat pretty much anything so dropping dairy and red meat won't leave me missing out on anything.
                                          When I'm out, I don't ask if something is dairy free, I just avoid it if its blatantly filled with anything I'm trying to cut out.
                                          It's just a trial so no pressure to maintain long term

Comment

No not environmental, the animal ethics is interesting but not enough at least so far to make me change by itself.

I consume too much red meat and dairy(especially cheese, ice cream) so I thought I'd try cut it out at the source rather than pick and choose.
                                            It's more of a health decision, I eat pretty much anything so dropping dairy and red meat won't leave me missing out on anything.
                                            When I'm out, I don't ask if something is dairy free, I just avoid it if its blatantly filled with anything I'm trying to cut out.
                                            It's just a trial so no pressure to maintain long term
                                            Milk is good for you. Rich in calcium, magnesium, B vitamins, vitamin D etc. When I was forced to quit milk due to a severe intolerance, I started getting muscle cramps all the time. I have to take magnesium supplements to counter this, but I'd be healthier if I was still consuming milk products.
                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Was out at a rare michelin star meal there recently where a huge feature was made of the tasting butters. Not different obvious flavours, just different salting methods and breed of cows.
                                              Bet they didn't have cabbage butter...
                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Asador has some sort of smoked seaweed butter last time i was there and it was unreal good
                                                airport, lol

Comment

Haven’t had time to sit down and read many of the posts but yet man MT Cranium on boards weather forum seems to be stirring things up big time with his alternative views on climate change. He’s the guy always being lauded for spot on forecasts, anyone read the threads and have a tl dr? It’s getting vicious

Comment

If the Healy raes get wind of tasting butters before dinner

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                      Milk is good for you. Rich in calcium, magnesium, B vitamins, vitamin D etc. When I was forced to quit milk due to a severe intolerance, I started getting muscle cramps all the time. I have to take magnesium supplements to counter this, but I'd be healthier if I was still consuming milk products.
                                                      Perhaps but although less efficient in some cases magnesium(greens), Vitamin D(fish), Vitamin Bs(grains, eggs) plus enough vitamin D means less calcium is needed as it helps storage.
                                                      As I said, I'll eat anything so if something was lacking, I'd have no problem supplementing it with a different food I don't usually eat.

Dairy and red meat seem to be the primary ingredient in a lot of foods I'd like to cut out so like I said, cut it off at the source.
                                                      I have switched to a vegan protein powder after the gym too which is far less bloating.

I definitely feel better but training has increased as well as significantly reducing sugar so how much of the better feeling can be attributed to no dairy/red meat may be minimal but its led to easily cutting out the things I want gone.

Comment

Comment

Remember reading somewhere, but don't know about validity, that it can't be great for us fundamentally to be dining on the breast milk of another animal as its make-up must be designed for raising those animals not ourselves. Hence why so much of the world can't handle it. Been allergic to milk since very young in any case so don't know much about it.
                                                          Yeah, we really shouldn't travel in vehicles that go faster than we can run as our brains can't have developed quickly enough to be comfortable with such speeds. Even horse riding is probably pushing it.

Comment

Never drink tea milk (gross) or coffee. Rarely sick. Eat plenty of eggs though . I'd probably gag off I drank a pint of milk. Cheese is for crackers and wine .

Comment

Yeah, we really shouldn't travel in vehicles that go faster than we can run as our brains can't have developed quickly enough to be comfortable with such speeds. Even horse riding is probably pushing it.
                                                              As long as you face backwards, it's all good.

Comment

@Murdrum I haven't seen your reasons for cutting them out, but I'd be very surprised if cutting out red meat is having any effect on your physical or mental well being. Dairy intolerances however are quite common. You mentioned bloating after eating whey-based protein powder which is an obvious tell-tale sign for me.

Before I identified my digestive issues I was having all kinds of symptoms including eczema, bloating, dizziness, diarrhoea, tiredness, muscle stiffness, muscle pain etc. After completely cutting out dairy, all of these symptoms either disappeared or alleviated significantly. Once I did a proper intolerance test and elimination diet, most of them disappeared.
                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Comment

I guess even while you are writing this you had some niggling doubts as to the equivalence between an external velocity event and internal nutrition!
                                                                    If the Earth stopped spinning for a second would we go through the windscreen ?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                        It was many things, but it surely wasn't a peace agreement.

There was literally no real threat of all out war til the turd went and blew up a general.

I think my feelings on Trump in general are well known. Him being an idiot doesn't mean good things can't come from his admin.

One of Irans top trouble makers are dead, and it looks like there was no real fallout from it. That has to be a win, if we all agree that the Iranian regime is evil.

In addition, the retaliation allows America to put more economic pressure on Iran and also gives EU countries justification to tear up an already disregarded nuclear deal and also mirror those sanctions. Likely bringing Iran back to the negotiating table.

The economic sanctions put more pressure on Irans theocracy, and also make it more likely they never get a nuke.

I mean, this could have all been done by the states just applying more sanctions and then pressuring the EU to do the same but then we wouldnt have a dead trouble maker.

Thats all very simplistic, and I don't pretend to know the nuances, or to try understand how the law of unintended consequences will play out here but from a high level, I could hear an argument this has been a win.
                                                                        with first the withdrawal from the JCPOA and now this assassination the US has proven the Iranian hardliners 100% right and the moderates that wanted to thaw relations 100% wrong. Iran can't trust the US to be a fair negotiating partner, no one can. Relations are going to get worse without the possibility for another detente for decades because their word doesn't mean shit, and in international relations your reputation and your word mean everything.
                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Grenoble seems like a go. Well an interview anyway. Time to rediscover the 'interview face' and get this in the bag, although who knows what the interview skills are like given it has been five years since last one. Might try to work in a bit of snow stuff when there anyway in order to make the most of the visit. Haven't seen snow since this which was almost exactly ten years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3vVDUuC0yw
                                                                          forever immortalized now

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Crubeens

Comment

@Murdrum I haven't seen your reasons for cutting them out, but I'd be very surprised if cutting out red meat is having any effect on your physical or mental well being. Dairy intolerances however are quite common. You mentioned bloating after eating whey-based protein powder which is an obvious tell-tale sign for me.

Before I identified my digestive issues I was having all kinds of symptoms including eczema, bloating, dizziness, diarrhoea, tiredness, muscle stiffness, muscle pain etc. After completely cutting out dairy, all of these symptoms either disappeared or alleviated significantly. Once I did a proper intolerance test and elimination diet, most of them disappeared.
                                                                              Dairy and red meat seem to be the primary ingredient in a lot of foods I'd like to cut out so like I said, cut it off at the source.
                                                                              Furthermore, there are countless studies which have shown that red meat significantly increases your risk of heart problems as well as the links between dairy and red meat to inflammation.

I know they're fine as part of a balanced diet but the plan is gradually progress to a largely plant based diet over time.

Comment

Good and bad for you are relative, each time you eat something it is an opportunity to eat something better. There are other sources for the positive attributes, that we should be eating a lot of anyway, without some of the things people claim are downsides, saturated fat, cholesterol, estrogen, increased inflammation blah blah. Don't care to get into if those are right or wrong but that is generally the reasons people avoid some things.

Then at the same time if somebody has a piss poor diet maybe they should be having the dairy over having a shit diet without it.

Without the obvious signs like yours there are a lot of low key symptoms people don't realise they have due to the large proportion of people being intolerant. I quit dairy nearly 6 years ago and thought before that it hadn't been affecting me negatively at all. Chest became a lot clearer quite fast, less congested but I wouldn't have ever know I felt like that as it was normal for my whole life and not exactly devastating.

Comment

Furthermore, there are countless studies which have shown that red meat significantly increases your risk of heart problems as well as the links between dairy and red meat to inflammation.

I know they're fine as part of a balanced diet but the plan is gradually progress to a largely plant based diet over time.
                                                                                  A lot of those studies are correlative rather than causative. High red meat consumption is also associated with smoking, risk taking activity, lack of exercise etc. As I said it's very unlikely that red meat is causing you digestive issues or any health problems at all. We've been eating it for millions of years.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                    with first the withdrawal from the JCPOA and now this assassination the US has proven the Iranian hardliners 100% right and the moderates that wanted to thaw relations 100% wrong. Iran can't trust the US to be a fair negotiating partner, no one can. Relations are going to get worse without the possibility for another detente for decades because their word doesn't mean shit, and in international relations your reputation and your word mean everything.
                                                                                    Don't agree. US was too soft on Iran (and China). Obama was
                                                                                    Chamberlain, Trump is a preemptive Churchill.

Considering that Trump was expected to be a impetulant child with his finger on the button...his foreign affairs over the last four years have been restrained and effective. He's brought NK to the negotiating table, blunted Iran. Hasn't started any new wars.

From how people react to him, if it had been him that had taken out OBL I'm sure people would have found a way to be negative about it.

Very stable genius imo.

Comment

Furthermore, there are countless studies which have shown that red meat significantly increases your risk of heart problems
                                                                                      Worth it though

Comment

...

Comment

That "Shane Lowry: Open" documentary is great. It's on the RTE Player.
                                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Its not really worth arguing as it doesn't affect us thankfully, but none of those things have been achieved. NK is exact same as it has always been except they now have better weapons. Iran continues to be main regional driver in Middle East. There was already a peace agreement in place with Iran that many observers said was working on nuclear now uranium is being enriched again. He lost Syria to Russia and Iran, he is in process of losing Iraq to Iran. No progress of Afghan. He pulled out of an agreement in pacific that could have acted as counter-balance to China, now China is in control. He pushed Cuba away when it wanted to return to the fold. He weakened the European agreement. Pushed Turkey away. Literally nothing on Africa, despite most of the world going to live there in the future. He has even managed to piss off the Japanese.

Its not exactly a shining resume.

Bear in mind I think this is all great. Don't think US has been a good or effective superpower and like that they are actively giving up this role through stupidity.
                                                                                            It's almost like this is only working to the advantage of one country....

Comment

On the plus side , this very stable genius looked out of puff at the press conference (flanked by some Generals). I reckon he was told rather than asked about his next move. He definitely looked like he was about to drop. Perhaps he is human after all and the stress of having to stop and think for a minute is taking it’s toll.

He’ll be gone in 6 months RIP.

Comment

A lot of those studies are correlative rather than causative. High red meat consumption is also associated with smoking, risk taking activity, lack of exercise etc. As I said it's very unlikely that red meat is causing you digestive issues or any health problems at all. We've been eating it for millions of years.
                                                                                                Some people might think that Jordan Peterson is not the be all and end all of health advice. There are plenty of studies, and medical opinion that directly contradict the advice you are giving out. It's almost impossible for studies of this sort to be causative. Given this is a topic that could actually have real life consequences for people who follow your advice, perhaps discretion would be advised.

"After adjusting for age and other potentially influential factors, increasing total red meat intake (both processed and unprocessed) by 3.5 servings a week or more over an eight year period was associated with a 10% higher risk of death in the next eight years.

Similarly, increasing processed red meat intake, such as bacon, hot dogs, sausages and salami, by 3.5 servings a week or more was associated with a 13% higher risk of death, whereas increasing intake of unprocessed red meat was associated with a 9% higher risk.

These associations were largely consistent across different age groups, levels of physical activity, dietary quality, smoking and alcohol consumption habits.

Overall, reducing red meat intake while eating more whole grains, vegetables, or other protein foods such as poultry without skin, eggs and fish, was associated with a lower risk of death among both men and women."

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                  Don't agree. US was too soft on Iran (and China). Obama was
                                                                                                  Chamberlain, Trump is a preemptive Churchill.

Very stable genius imo.
                                                                                                  TDS doesn't come any more deranged than that TBF

Considering that Trump was expected to be a impetulant child with his finger on the button...
                                                                                                  Ignoring international law to execute a senior minister of a democratically elected government.

He's brought NK to the negotiating table.
                                                                                                  LOL

blunted Iran.
                                                                                                  He has entrenched the power of the theocracy for at least another decade.

Hasn't started any new wars. .
                                                                                                  Just trade wars
                                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Its not really worth arguing as it doesn't affect us thankfully, but none of those things have been achieved. NK is exact same as it has always been except they now have better weapons. Iran continues to be main regional driver in Middle East. There was already a peace agreement in place with Iran that many observers said was working on nuclear now uranium is being enriched again. He lost Syria to Russia and Iran, he is in process of losing Iraq to Iran. No progress of Afghan. He pulled out of an agreement in pacific that could have acted as counter-balance to China, now China is in control. He pushed Cuba away when it wanted to return to the fold. He weakened the European agreement. Pushed Turkey away. Literally nothing on Africa, despite most of the world going to live there in the future. He has even managed to piss off the Japanese.

Its not exactly a shining resume.

Bear in mind I think this is all great. Don't think US has been a good or effective superpower and like that they are actively giving up this role through stupidity.
                                                                                                    It wasn't a peace agreement.

The rest I could hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                      Ignoring international law to execute a senior minister of a democratically elected government.
                                                                                                      This may be true, but the way you've packaged it is nonsense. The Iranian regime is evil, evil to outsiders and evil to its own citizens.

You've packaged this to sound like he killed the head of the British Army.

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                      He has entrenched the power of the theocracy for at least another decade.
                                                                                                      Maybe. Maybe not.

The people who think that have absolute belief no good can come from this admin are as bad as the people that support him blindly.

I personally think this was all manufactured for Ol Turd to just give the order.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                        Some people might think that Jordan Peterson & Joe Rogan is not the be all and end all of health advice. There are plenty of studies, and medical opinion that directly contradict the advice you are giving out. It's almost impossible for studies of this sort to be causative. Given this is a topic that could actually have real life consequences for people who follow your advice, perhaps discretion would be advised.

"After adjusting for age and other potentially influential factors, increasing total red meat intake (both processed and unprocessed) by 3.5 servings a week or more over an eight year period was associated with a 10% higher risk of death in the next eight years.

Similarly, increasing processed red meat intake, such as bacon, hot dogs, sausages and salami, by 3.5 servings a week or more was associated with a 13% higher risk of death, whereas increasing intake of unprocessed red meat was associated with a 9% higher risk.

These associations were largely consistent across different age groups, levels of physical activity, dietary quality, smoking and alcohol consumption habits.

Overall, reducing red meat intake while eating more whole grains, vegetables, or other protein foods such as poultry without skin, eggs and fish, was associated with a lower risk of death among both men and women."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0612183633.htm
                                                                                                        I had a post typed out before I spotted this, obviously I agree, an abundance of studies showing causation, I did make one slight fix above though.

Visible fat and preservatives are the major issues in the link between red meat and increased cardiovascular risk, thus leading to a significant causal role for preserved red meats, especially if they are consumed daily.
                                                                                                        Last edited by Guest; 09-01-20, 16:28.

Comment

At the bottom of Rogan and Petersens arguments is usually something tied to manliness.

Eating red meat is manly so its good for you.

Comment

Just over 24 hours to get your entry in for the 2020 Multi Sport Competition.
                                                                                                            Everything from Football to Basketball to see who is the supreme master of IPB sporting knowledge.

Testimonials
                                                                                                            Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                                            Great competition in the way it went back and forth.
                                                                                                            Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                                                            This is great craic for me anyway, much appreciated competition AJ!

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                              Just over 24 hours to get your entry in for the 2020 Multi Sport Competition.
                                                                                                              Everything from Football to Basketball to see who is the supreme master of IPB sporting knowledge.

Testimonials
                                                                                                              I think you need to sign up to my 'Marketing IPC Comps for Dummies' masterclass.

All major large denomination Euro banknotes accepted.

Comment

This may be true, but the way you've packaged it is nonsense. The Iranian regime is evil, evil to outsiders and evil to its own citizens
                                                                                                                Spot on. Soleimeni was a mass murderer.

So let's not cry any crocodile tears for him. The real question is the wisdom (or more pertinently the lack thereof) of the decision to assassinate him.

Did sp really call Iran 'democratic'?

Comment

So let's not cry any crocodile tears for him. The real question is the wisdom (or more pertinently the lack thereof) of the decision to assassinate him.

Agreed.

My point has always been that it may not be as big a loss to the US as the Trump haters (me included) think. I can see some win in it.

On the other hand, I can also so some loss in it.

Hitches comment about Africa was nonsense too.

Originally posted by Hitch
                                                                                                                  Literally nothing on Africa, despite most of the world going to live there in the future.
                                                                                                                  What does that even mean?

You can hate Trump, you should hate Trump, he is objectively an idiot but the admin can do some right.

I find it Ironic too that Hitch was orating on the ineffectiveness of a leader in a big org and then he blames Trump singularly for all this.

Comment

How would feel if Iran had Pence, or the Joint chief of staff killed?

Comment

This may be true, but the way you've packaged it is nonsense. The Iranian regime is evil, evil to outsiders and evil to its own citizens.
                                                                                                                      Absolutely and the point is that the deal on offer was the best chance there has been in 30 years of getting rid of them.
                                                                                                                      Its hard to believe the strength of desire for change that exists in Iran but the regime are the ultimate populists who have survived a sustained and increasing diminishing of the wealth, health and general wellbeing of their people. The biggest threat to them is the peace and prosperity offered by the nuclear deal and there is nothing that sustains them more than having a common enemy to galvanise the masses.

You've packaged this to sound like he killed the head of the British Army.
                                                                                                                      Whether we like it or not the regime in Tehran is legitimately elected.
                                                                                                                      Trump is using the exact same rationale and moral framework the IRA used in Brighton.

Comment

You could say the same about Airey Neave and Margret Tatcher.

They do have elections we may not like them but they do sit in the UN and are a legitimate state.

Comment

Evolution doesn't give a shit about our long term health, you're already superfluous m8.

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                                          Some people might think that Jordan Peterson is not the be all and end all of health advice. There are plenty of studies, and medical opinion that directly contradict the advice you are giving out. It's almost impossible for studies of this sort to be causative. Given this is a topic that could actually have real life consequences for people who follow your advice, perhaps discretion would be advised.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0612183633.htm
                                                                                                                          Nutrition research in general is such a minefield as so much is money/industry orientated. Should see how much money goes into protecting the meat/dairy/egg industry in studies in general, it's ridiculous. It's like people dropping millions to researchers and going wink, nudge, soy is bad for you m8's, eggs are good for you m8's and so on.

Not too long ago the USDA / DHHS were thinking of removing limitations of dietary cholesterol from their recommendations (was 300mg per day), they ended up being sued over it because 92% of the studies were funded by the egg industry and the people making the decisions were being paid off. They ended up changing the guidelines to be eat as "little as possible".

WASHINGTON—The Physicians Committee filed a lawsuit today against the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Department of Health and Human Services, alleging that the government had allowed the food industry and financial inducements to dictate the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee’s (DGAC) new recommendations on cholesterol.

Several DGAC members came from institutions that were funded by the egg industry and relied on egg-industry-funded research findings when they removed limits on dietary cholesterol earlier this year. In allowing this to happen, the USDA and DHHS violated the Federal Advisory Committee Act, which mandates that the advisory committee “will not be inappropriately influenced by the appointing authority or any special interest.”

According to previously unreleased documents obtained by the Physicians Committee under the Freedom of Information Act, the American Egg Board had directly nominated one individual who was then placed on the DGAC. A second member was actively receiving egg-industry research grants according to industry documents, and two others worked at a university that had requested and received more than $100,000 from the American Egg Board for research aimed at challenging the cholesterol limits.

The DGAC then skipped its usual procedure of reviewing scientific studies and dropped the cholesterol limit without an appropriate review of relevant research. Breaking with the Food and Drug Administration and the Institute of Medicine, both of which hold that cholesterol in eggs and other foods increases blood cholesterol levels, the DGAC reported in February 2015 that cholesterol is no longer “a nutrient of concern for overconsumption” and that “available evidence shows no appreciable relationship between consumption of dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol.”

In violation of federal law, the American Egg Board has made a longstanding effort, costing several million dollars, to change federal policies and make cholesterol appear to be safe. Approximately 90 percent of research studies on dietary cholesterol are now funded by the egg industry.

In a 2013 meta-analysis on dietary cholesterol authored by one of the DGAC members from Tufts University, 92 percent of the studies reviewed were paid for by industry, mainly the egg industry. Nearly every cited study showed that eggs or other cholesterol-containing foods had an unfavorable effect on blood cholesterol levels. However, the review inappropriately concluded that the effect of dietary cholesterol on plasma lipid concentrations “is modest and appears to be limited to population subgroups.”

In 2015, researchers from the same university published a new report paid for by the Egg Nutrition Center, the research arm of the American Egg Board. Nearly every study included in the meta-analysis was funded by the American Egg Board or other industry-related sources. Specifically, 13 of the 15 included studies in the analysis of the effect of dietary cholesterol on LDL cholesterol were industry-funded.

For decades, the Dietary Guidelines have recommended that Americans limit dietary cholesterol to no more than 300 milligrams per day, with further reductions to no more than 200 milligrams per day for persons with or at high risk for cardiovascular disease. Studies clearly show that eggs and other high-cholesterol foods raise blood cholesterol levels. Even a small increase in blood cholesterol, applied population-wide, is likely to increase the number of people dying of heart disease.

The lawsuit states, “Abundant scientific evidence shows that cholesterol is a significant contributor to cardiovascular disease, the leading killer of Americans. The DGAC’s recommendations are part of a 20-year attempt at a cholesterol image makeover based on research funded by USDA’s egg promotion program and designed specifically to increase egg consumption regardless of the health risks that may result from unlimited cholesterol ingestion.”

Two recent studies highlight the dangers of eggs and cholesterol. One in the journal Atherosclerosis found that study participants who ate the most eggs, compared with those who ate the least, had 80 percent higher coronary artery calcium scores, a measure of heart disease risk. A study in the Canadian Journal of Cardiology found that those who consume the most eggs have a 19 percent increased risk for cardiovascular problems.

“Continued cholesterol warnings in the Dietary Guidelines would help protect consumers nationwide from heart disease,” says Ulka Agarwal, M.D., a California physician who is one of the lawsuit’s co-plaintiffs. “The decision could be as potentially lifesaving as California’s Proposition 65, which requires companies to put warnings on potentially cancer-causing products.”

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X