Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    Shave that parmigiano with a potato peeler. Thank me later.
    Eh, ok.

Would have just gone with the wide bit of a box grater.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Nice combo btw, I'd add rocket though.
      Good idea, probably stop the kids from robbing it all too.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Eh, ok.

Would have just gone with the wide bit of a box grater.
        It creates nice thin wide shavings. Looks great on that dish, but you get a much better flavour punch with it than grated. Imo.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Can't post images but I tweeted a pic of it a few months ago..

Comment

Can't post images but I tweeted a pic of it a few months ago..

Only got one of them there swivel head peelers but I guess that will do the job. And I have a big old lump of real parmesan, surreptitiously transferred into my posession in a dodgy carpark off Parnell Street.

Comment

Was it an andouilette?

Using your bresaola as a starter on Sunday. Garnish with parmiggiano, olive oil and lemon. Acceptable?
              No better way to have it, I just put it out one slice deep on as big a serving dish as I can, I'll usually put a layer of rocket over it too.

Open the pack and leave it at room temperature for a little while then separate out the slices as best you can doesn't matter if it shreds a bit.
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Yeah, started using a potato peeler for my Parmesan after seeing Lazares tweet, havent looked back since.

Comment

Only got one of them there swivel head peelers but I guess that will do the job. And I have a big old lump of real parmesan, surreptitiously transferred into my posession in a dodgy carpark off Parnell Street.
                  Oh yeah. Can't beat the proper stuff. The peeler works even better with that.

Comment

This is mind bending...

Watch the newly released remastered version (in HD) ⟹ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W88Sact1kwsWhen wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone National Park ...

Comment

Just had a lovely pasta bake smothers in a bag of mozzarella /cheddar mix.
                      Notions
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                        Loved it, though imagine it'll be a marmite one for a lot of people. Very excited about seeing Parasite in a couple of weeks.
                        Originally posted by Opr View Post
                        Just finished The Lighthouse and it is incredible. For anyone interested in seeing it, do yourself a favour and go watch it in the cinema when it's release. I feel absolutely robbed of a first time viewing experince in the cinema.

Opr

Comment

Just back from 1917, made critical mistake fo seeing it alamo drafthouse which is beside me. the under table lights and waiters etc walking distracted a bit from the movie. It'll win a boat load of technical oscars i'd say

Comment

Guy at work married to a China woman. Go over as often as they can. Came back one year complaining about the increased traffic in the smallish city they go to. 12 months later he comes back and says the area has a brand new rail network with lines and stations that hadn't been there the year before.
                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Cross post from another thread.

We have one seat free for the annual HHE dinner on Friday 24th January.

If anybody is interested, please let me know in the restaurant review thread.

First come, first served.

Comment

In a dictatorship, that's not an option.

That's one thing about autocracy; it's incredibly infantalising. The message from the State is "we know what's best for you, don't even think there are alternatives". With the unspoken message, but still insidious, of "we'll kill you if you step out if line".

Whereas in a democracy, messy and noisy as it may be, you do at least, in the immortal American phrase, have the opportunity to 'throw the bums out!'
                                I see that Sultan Qaboos of Oman died.
                                The confirmed bachelor has been a model of how to be benevolent dictator since he led a coup against his father in the early 70's.
                                You might say it was easy to be benevolent when he was sitting on a shitload of oil and his main job was to go around once a year to meet all the tribal and local leaders and ask them whether they wanted to get a new school or a new hospital but actually he managed a difficult melee of competing interests in a difficult region with a much smaller pool of oil than his neighbours.

The succession was interesting, having no children there were up to a couple of hundred people qualified to take over from him and of those there were maybe a dozen real candidates and one clear front runner. He never announced his successor instead he put the name in an envelope and had it locked away and apparently it has remained unchanged since before he became ill about 5 years ago. When the envelope was opened it turned out to be not the fav but a lad who was quite close to Qaboos but hadn't held any of the really big jobs.
                                Oman has one of the strongest Iranian Shia minorities in the area and they are probably going to come under pressure with the ongoing war in Yemen getting squeezed between the Iranians and (Mr Bone Saw as he's known to the locals) MBS's efforts to consolidate his position in Saudi

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                  Guy at work married to a China woman. Go over as often as they can. Came back one year complaining about the increased traffic in the smallish city they go to. 12 months later he comes back and says the area has a brand new rail network with lines and stations that hadn't been there the year before.
                                  Ah but do they run on time?
                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Ospreys (and all the other Welsh teams tbf) are some joke. 75 minutes against 14 men and they still manage to screw things up.

That was a huge opportunity for Munster although Saracens only getting 4 points might also be big.

Comment

Ospreys (and all the other Welsh teams tbf) are some joke. 75 minutes against 14 men and they still manage to screw things up.

That was a huge opportunity for Munster although Saracens only getting 4 points might also be big.
                                      Ive been feeling a Leinster v sarries qtr coming for a while now. Would be an absolute belter.
                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                        When I heard about it and the timing etc. I thought the US had done it somehow, like a bomb on board. With so many Iranian on board, didn't think it would be Iran and didn't think they had equipment stupid enough to blow a civilian craft.
                                        Wrong on all counts, Iran has eventually admitted it shot the plane down.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                          Ive been feeling a Leinster v sarries qtr coming for a while now. Would be an absolute belter.
                                          don't see it myself, Leinster will qualify 1st and Saracens probably 7th

Comment

Connacht penalty try and a yellow for Toulouse...game on

Comment

Let the manager of SuperValu have it earlier today. 6 staff one one isle stacking shelves and 6 on the very next isle. Never seen the like of it before. Got to the express checkouts and theres a queue nearly out the door with only 1 person manning them and several people open mouthed waiting for help. And only 3 tills open. A Shane Horgan type dude that could have crushed me but I laid it on the line. 3 Peronis for 9 Euro and im already delayed with the earlly racing already on and I have to deal with this sh!t. Just keeping the status quo he was until I pointed out all the wrongs. Im watching too much of Amagansett Press on YouTube.

Had some lovely grub last Sunday evening at a new place beside Romanos. Its the second year in a row Romans caught us with their extended Christmas holiday and initially we were cursing them until we saw reason and admitted that largely Filipino staff deserve a holiday after the shift they put in during the year and im sure many of them travelled home during this time. This is the clear minded thinking of a couple of dubs after a few pints of a Sunday evening.

In a fit of pique and the most cursory of glances at the menu on the window we stormed into this new Asian place that was bare to the bone and no customers as yet. No decor, no heat bar a small plug in up the isle a bit but a warm welcome that more than made up for all of that. The front of house explained that they were only opened a week so they are not set up with the decor, website etc. I reassured him the judgement would come down to the food and the food alone and he reacted with an expressive grin that told us that wouldnt be a problem. I tried to test his ebullience when I told him hed be personally responsible if the dish I inquired about and he encouraged me was a fine choice wasnt up to scratch but in a joking way. He didnt flinch and he delivered on his promise in no uncertain terms.
                                              SPOILER

Last edited by rounders123; 11-01-20, 15:37.

Comment

@ionapaul; weather looks absolutely disgusting for Galway tomorrow. Which might actually play in their favour vs Toulouse.
                                                Drove past it earlier on, seems much better than expected.

My first time in Galway in about 15 years. Looks like Cuba and GPO are no more.

Comment

Fair amount of Frenchies here today! Toulouse on top but let's see what the next 40 brings. Weather decent considering the predictions.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                    Fair amount of Frenchies here today! Toulouse on top but let's see what the next 40 brings. Weather decent considering the predictions.
                                                    all we can hear on the tv is the toulousain fans singing non stop

Comment

Blade should've been on 30 mins earlier

Comment

Crazy last 7 to go

Comment

Scrum the worst option to take there with the clock being important

Comment

Still smarting from the tennis defeat, I felt the only option was to lay down a challenge. Not at tennis, another 6 or so games around that court may have been the death of me. No, this time I opted for a smaller court while still somewhat honouring the original game - the challenge was for table tennis as our hotel conveniently had an outdoor table.

Now, unlike tennis, I did actually play quite a bit of table tennis in my youth and while I was no world champion in the making, I was handy enough back in the day.

After a brief knock about, we got straight down to it. I had originally proposed best of 7 games, however Mrs Lao Lao reckoned this would be way too long and preferred best of 3, which I accepted.

Game 1 was an easy affair with me taking it 21-4. At this point, I was super confident and started to introduce a good bit of back spin into my serves in the 2nd game (you never really lose it) Game 2 went my way 21-3 and at this point Mrs Mrs Lao decided we should probably play to best of 5. This was music to my ears and I took the 3rd game in a score of 21-5.

The ever competitive (and just as a much a sore loser as me) Mrs Lao Lao then decided that we should really play best of 7 after all. Game 4 was slightly strange as the wind picked up and a lot of my very precisely placed shots literally blew off course and missed the table. None the less, I still took it 21-16.

At this point, Mrs Lao Lao conceded defeat. She knew there was no way back for her and we called it at 4-0 to me.

Pride had been restored!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                              Scrum the worst option to take there with the clock being important
                                                              Both Ulster and Connacht took some crazy options today, Ulster in particular kept putting kickable penalties into the corner. Take the points!

Comment

Both Ulster and Connacht took some crazy options today, Ulster in particular kept putting kickable penalties into the corner. Take the points!
                                                                This is the exact reason I cant get into American football. 4th and down is the first time it seems to occur to them.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                  This is the exact reason I cant get into American football. 4th and down is the first time it seems to occur to them.
                                                                  What?
                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Well why would you do it before 4th down? Makes absolutely no sense as you could get the required yarda on 3rd down and it's very unlikely you'll.lose yardage

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                      Well why would you do it before 4th down? Makes absolutely no sense as you could get the required yarda on 3rd down and it's very unlikely you'll.lose yardage
                                                                      Unless you are Josh Allen
                                                                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Tongue in cheek chaps

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I see Denny vegan sausages in Dunnes. Zuutroy on suicide watch

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                              Still smarting from the tennis defeat, I felt the only option was to lay down a challenge.
                                                                              SPOILER
                                                                              Not at tennis, another 6 or so games around that court may have been the death of me. No, this time I opted for a smaller court while still somewhat honouring the original game - the challenge was for table tennis as our hotel conveniently had an outdoor table.

Now, unlike tennis, I did actually play quite a bit of table tennis in my youth and while I was no world champion in the making, I was handy enough back in the day.

After a brief knock about, we got straight down to it. I had originally proposed best of 7 games, however Mrs Lao Lao reckoned this would be way too long and preferred best of 3, which I accepted.

Game 1 was an easy affair with me taking it 21-4. At this point, I was super confident and started to introduce a good bit of back spin into my serves in the 2nd game (you never really lose it) Game 2 went my way 21-3
                                                                              and at this point Mrs Mrs Lao decided we should probably play to best of 5.
                                                                              SPOILER
                                                                              This was music to my ears and I took the 3rd game in a score of 21-5.

The ever competitive (and just as a much a sore loser as me) Mrs Lao Lao then decided that we should really play best of 7 after all. Game 4 was slightly strange as the wind picked up and a lot of my very precisely placed shots literally blew off course and missed the table. None the less, I still took it 21-16.

At this point, Mrs Lao Lao conceded defeat. She knew there was no way back for her and we called it at 4-0 to me.

Pride had been restored!
                                                                              she is an absolute keeper, I envy you.

Comment

she is an absolute keeper, I envy you.
                                                                                Would you have said that if Lao Lao and his missus' sporting rivalry was penalty shootouts?

Comment

Would you have said that if Lao Lao and his missus' sporting rivalry was penalty shootouts?
                                                                                  Think he's just referring to her competitive nature

Comment

Yeah maybe its late, not sure what you mean. Competitive nature is all I meant. Id say 1 in 50* GF/Wives would have that sort of moxy to even play and suggest to rearrange the format in adversity etc.

*Clearly Mrs Lao Lao is one in a million of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                      I see Denny vegan sausages in Dunnes. Zuutroy on suicide watch
                                                                                      Don't worry. I already decided when I saw what won the Young 'Scientist'.

Comment

Yeah maybe its late, not sure what you mean. Competitive nature is all I meant. Id say 1 in 50* GF/Wives would have that sort of moxy to even play and suggest to rearrange the format in adversity etc.

*Clearly Mrs Lao Lao is one in a million of course.
                                                                                        If Mrs. Lao Lao was a good goalie instead of a good tennis player would you say she was a keeper?

Comment

My jokes are so subtle, only I get them.

Comment

If Mrs. Lao Lao was a good goalie instead of a good tennis player would you say she was a keeper?
                                                                                            She actually was a very good goalie. She played in goal for hockey for I reckon about 20 years. She was also one of the founders members of YM's women's hockey club.

Definitely a keeper in more than one meaning of the word!

Comment

Comment

My jokes are so subtle, only I get them.
                                                                                                I'm so ahead of my time, my parents haven't met yet
                                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                  She actually was a very good goalie. She played in goal for hockey for I reckon about 20 years. She was also one of the founders members of YM's women's hockey club.

Definitely a keeper in more than one meaning of the word!
                                                                                                  Always wondered why they didn't call themselves YWCA.

Comment

...

Comment

it really looks like Lyon don't even want to be there today. barely pretending to play lol

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                        it really looks like Lyon don't even want to be there today. barely pretending to play lol
                                                                                                        Have you not watched Leinster this season? They're doing this to everyone.

Comment

Have you not watched Leinster this season? They're doing this to everyone.
                                                                                                          i thought you weren't allowed to jump/dive over the ruck or a player?

Comment

i thought you weren't allowed to jump/dive over the ruck or a player?
                                                                                                            So did I. Remember Paul O'Connell doing a superman try back in the day.

Looks like disallowed for something else and the ref was theoretically happy for him to dive through\over the ruck.

Comment

TMO doing his best to save Lyon's blushes.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                TMO doing his best to save Lyon's blushes.
                                                                                                                Not sure I agree with shraaap, I think Lyon are defending pretty stoutly here considering what's being thrown at them. They'll be out on their feet second half though.

Comment

They're utterly gutted by injuries at the moment. Something like 14 first team players injured. Have only got 3 fit back row players in the squad, 2 of which have played every game in the last 6/7.

Coach has made the decison that given they're out of this competition, makes no sense to risk further injuries. They started today with 5 locks in the 23 (and one got injured instantly too!)

If they keep Leinster to less than 50 that will have been a success for the guys they've sent out today.

(Although that absolutely mad TMO decision for Fardy's non-try may point to Lyon getting a little help from off field.)
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Emmet; 12-01-20, 13:44.

Comment

...

Comment

Scoreline is hilarious given the balance of play.

Comment

Leo will eat them at h-t.

Comment

Predictions for Racing-Munster Emmet?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X