Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Anyone any ideas on that front? NY Times is too regular and too US. New Yorker and Slate are too incredibly boring and up themselves. Is there something else?
    I had New Scientist but I think you could do better, perhaps Nature or National Geographic for something science related.

Alternatively perhaps Foreign Affairs? Not too US and it is non-partisan

I was actually reading a Nature article that seems pretty applicable to you: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03755-2
    Last edited by Guest; 15-12-19, 08:46.

Comment

I feel like 5starpool. I've only ever heard of one of these.

Netflix’s top television series
      By viewership, October 2018-September 2019
      Stranger Things 64 million
      The Umbrella Academy 45 million
      La Casa de Papel 44 million
      You 40 million
      Sex Education 40 million
      Our Planet 33 million
      Unbelievable 32 million
      Dead to Me 30 million
      When They See Us 25 million
      Elite 20 million

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
        I've only heard of Stranger Things and that's because my daughter watches it.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I have seen 6 on that list. Obviously I have too much time on my hands

La Casa de Papel first season is very enjoyable to watch.
            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Talking about too much time on my hands. Am flying out to Vietnam tomorrow for two weeks. Seriously can't wait!

Will be flying between ho chi Minh, Nha Trang and Hanoi. With 4/5 days in each place.

Gonna be awesome

Any tips?
              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Don't mention the war.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                  Don't mention the war.

https://youtu.be/yfl6Lu3xQW0
                  They won, so think it would be safe enough

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                    Talking about too much time on my hands. Am flying out to Vietnam tomorrow for two weeks. Seriously can't wait!

Will be flying between ho chi Minh, Nha Trang and Hanoi. With 4/5 days in each place.

Gonna be awesome

Any tips?
                    Whatever time you're planning to spend in Hoi An, double it.

Nha Trang didn't do much for me and we left it earlier than planned but otherwise, its a fantastic country.

Comment

Even I've heard of two of those!

Comment

Gonna be awesome

Any tips?
                        Nearly six years since I went for Christmas. Had great fun was cheap as well. Heard a lot of people not liking Nha Trang is a great time there a full roast duck for 8 euro bargain of a lifetime. There is a class water park in an island out from it would recommend also a park with a small waterfall ba ho it’s called good cycle or 30 mins in a moped. Do hire mopeds so easy to get around don’t drink and drive full duck in mouth optional. Teresa lived in Hanoi be the man to ask

Comment

2 assuming "When they see Us" is the one about the NY rape case. Tried Stranger Things but it turned out to be for 12yos

Comment

Sex Education is quite good, comedy drama, a very light hearted show, Gillian Anderson is quite good in it too.

Costumes, cultural references and overall settings are good, lots of throwbacks with no specifics on the actual time/place it's set in.
                            Not the best show you'll ever see but a nice easy watch.

I watched the first couple of seasons of Stranger Things and also When They See Us. Lost interest in the former and the latter is good but the genre is pretty much exhausted at this stage.

Comment

Had Mina backed FGS in ManU Everton game @50/1

Missed the ball by millimeters before it went in off defender

Mina/Scorecast 0-1 done too, coulda woulda had a nice sweat

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                Had Mina backed FGS in ManU Everton game @50/1

Missed the ball by millimeters before it went in off defender

Mina/Scorecast 0-1 done too, coulda woulda had a nice sweat
                                Could still get the FGS from the next corner.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                  Could still get the FGS from the next corner.
                                  Ya, all good, at moment it is a small correct score bet and all so...

Also, well known to all in here Im sure but that is why if someone fancies a 0-0 game they should back no goal scorer instead

Comment

Arsenal are poison and Ozil with his apparent distance traveled stats is like a lad waddling from kettle to fridge to couch

The fitbit might say one thing but the fat arse tells a different tale

Comment

Netflix’s top television series
                                      By viewership, October 2018-September 2019
                                      Stranger Things 64 million
                                      The Umbrella Academy 45 million
                                      La Casa de Papel 44 million
                                      You 40 million
                                      Sex Education 40 million
                                      Our Planet 33 million
                                      Unbelievable 32 million
                                      Dead to Me 30 million
                                      When They See Us 25 million
                                      Elite 20 million
                                      Watched all of Stranger Things, Sex Education, You, When They See Us, Money Hesit and Elite.

Anyone who watched Money Heist will be familair with some of the cast of Elite. Rio and Alison Parker are main characters, and Denver also has a big part as it develops. It turns pretty teenage chick flicky. SatNav would really love it!

Sticking with the Spanish theme, i went on to watch Vis a vis (Locked Up). The creator of Money Heist has his hand in this one too, and Nairobi is one of the main characters, as is Alicia Sierra.

4 seasons worth, and it creates one of the most evil villains in the history of TV in Dr Sandoval

Comment

Has to be an angle I'm missing here?

A new feature I thought I would start, which acts as a counterpoint to Throwback Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                          Has to be an angle I'm missing here?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057971586
                                          The one on Seapoint Avenue is at the wrong one
                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                            Watched all of Stranger Things, Sex Education, You, When They See Us, Money Hesit and Elite.

Anyone who watched Money Heist will be familair with some of the cast of Elite. Rio and Alison Parker are main characters, and Denver also has a big part as it develops. It turns pretty teenage chick flicky. SatNav would really love it!

Sticking with the Spanish theme, i went on to watch Vis a vis (Locked Up). The creator of Money Heist has his hand in this one too, and Nairobi is one of the main characters, as is Alicia Sierra.

4 seasons worth, and it creates one of the most evil villains in the history of TV in Dr Sandoval
                                            Did you watch Dr Foster yet?

SPOILER
                                            If not, don't do it, its shite. If you have you unfortunately know what I've just subjected myself to

Comment

Gonna be awesome

Any tips?
                                              It's been a long time since I was there but Vietnam is my favourite country in Asia. Absolutely loved it.

Hanoi

Binh Minh Jazz club is pretty cool even if you're not a mad jazz fan.

Koto is a nice cafe where pretty much all the staff are street kids getting a second chance in life.

Museum of Literature.

Wander around the old quarter

You can do a trip to Cat Ba island from Hanoi, stay one night on the island, one night on the boat in the south China sea. Midnight swims and not allowed but deadly craic if you get away with it.

Go to a local pub with locals, they will want to talk to you, it's not a scam, they are genuine nice people who are really friendly.

Do Karaoke, they take it very seriously, good craic.

Nha Trang

Wasn't mad about it, was a little seedy but did manage to have a full on argument with Tim Roth over a rake of beers as he was being a cunt and all Billy big balls and I decided to call him out on it, interesting evening.

Defo a place for partying, they do the boat booze party thingy and plenty of bars. The Sailing Club was one of the biggest if I remember correctly.

If you can squeeze it in, stop by Hoi An. Was my favourite place in Vietnam without a shadow of a doubt.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                    The eldest has been playing Go (Chinese chess) since September in school and we were dragged to a whopping four-hour Go Tourament today. It was actually amazing! All speed Go (10 mins per person per game) and on 9x9 boards to suit their ages. A cool ranking system so they fit seven games each into the four hours and moved up or down the ranking based on how they were doing. Its such an interesting game - there was one or two of the games where we were trying to hold ourselves back from the urge to shout something. Western Europe has clearly been cursed that chess took most of the market for strategic games as Go is way better.
                                                    Was watching Magnus Carlsen playing a blitz tournament today and I hurt my brain trying to follow him.
                                                    Its a thing of beauty to watch him narrate what he's doing but absolutely head spinning trying to follow.

World Chess Champion Magnus Carlsen commentates his Round 2 match vs. GM Pepe Cuenca.The Banter Blitz Cup is brought to you by Opera. Faster browsing, for fa...
                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Any good gig/event guides for Dublin?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                        Was watching Magnus Carlsen playing a blitz tournament today and I hurt my brain trying to follow him.
                                                        Its a thing of beauty to watch him narrate what he's doing but absolutely head spinning trying to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh6O...ature=emb_logo
                                                        He's currently leading the Fantasy Premier League out of over 7 million players too. Skills

Comment

Watched a bit of that video and said I'd give a blitz game a go myself.. Got my queen taken in two moves and got checkmated in 6. It's not as easy as it looks ya know!

Comment

Found this one fascinating because
                                                            you hear his thought processes where things are going wrong.

World Chess Champion Magnus Carlsen has an exceptionally long think in this blitz game against chess24 user Eyt12983. Replay the game with computer analysis...

The game flames out disappointingly after the Pawn X E5 blunder
                                                            allows Magnus to develop an advance along the GH channel.
                                                            Last edited by DeeBrown; 16-12-19, 06:55.

Comment

Old Kolya is hanging in there "a coward does not play hockey"

🇧🇾 I had been searching the radiated forests of the Belarus Chernobyl zone for my friend Kolya but with no luck. Then I drove to the nearest village where ...
                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Far from exhaustive (ie. mostly indie) but OK for bigger shows (comes out on Tuesdays I think)

Resident Advisor will give you the decent club options.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Harald Schumacher reincarnated (if he was dead!)

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
                                                                        He's currently leading the Fantasy Premier League out of over 7 million players too. Skills
                                                                        Meh, probably built a mathematical model to do the work for him

Big news is that Ex-liverpool and Bristol rovers Nicky Tanner is in second and clearly knocked his team WinLoseOnTheBooze together over a pint

Comment

The Heineken Cup pools are shaping up in a bit of an odd way this season.

5 * runaway leaders and 1 v good second (Clermont, who will probably go first)

Then a whole pile of teams who seem to be doing their best not to qualify

Wonder what the record low qualifying score is? Seem to remember somebody qualifying with 3 wins before.

looks like
                                                                          Leinster
                                                                          Exeter
                                                                          Toulouse
                                                                          Clermont
                                                                          Racing
                                                                          Ulster
                                                                          eh...one of Munster\Sarcens
                                                                          eh...Glasgow? Connacht\Gloucester? Northampton?

Leinster look to be on a proper mission anyway.

Comment

On HBO (or other places...) but Watchmen has been excellent

Comment

Now, where's me meat?
                                                                              Don't want to alarm you unnecessarily but DHL appear to have mislaid our meat.

Comment

Doors cover band are in Tramline Dec 28th. Cracking gig there last year . Had a blast.

Comment

Don't want to alarm you unnecessarily
                                                                                  this usually precedes a 'somebody died' statement

DHL appear to have mislaid our meat.

Comment

Some spicy macthups

Comment

One for AJ/GAB......i see there's a match race in the opener at Plumpton so say you managed to snaffle the odds against on both runners in a big way and both fall, what happens?

(I didnt,- just curious)

Comment

One for AJ/GAB......i see there's a match race in the opener at Plumpton so say you managed to snaffle the odds against on both runners in a big way and both fall, what happens?

(I didnt,- just curious)
                                                                                        Money back and race declared void.

Comment

Fuck me, even in their natural environment of the coffee shop, hipsters are fucking clueless

Guy orders a hot chocolate with extra this and a smig of that, lad behind counter shouts flat white and up he pops & starts walking off with my drink

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                            On what basis is the race declared void?

Race has started, both horses record a result of DNF via F. All bets stand and all bets are losers.
                                                                                            It happened in Wincanton 2 or 3 years St. Stephen's day and the race was declared void

Comment

[QUOTE=Raoul Duke III;1113815]this usually precedes a 'somebody died' statement/QUOTE]
                                                                                              OK looks like we are back on track, they just changed the number and decided not to tell anyone.
                                                                                              Out for delivery today so I'll try and catch up with you sometime in the next few days.

Comment

This race https://www.racingpost.com/results/9...6-12-26/664813

It seems they have changed the rule on this or else the stewards of the day took strange action.

i.e. there is no basis to void the race. From a betting perspective, if your horse falls or DNF in a 10 runner then its a case of business as usual. Why change that if 0 horses finish.
                                                                                                Lol, anywhere to see a replay of the 6th fence in that race!

Comment

There used to be a couple of ok guides for whats on in Dublin both music and otherwise. Cant find a good one anymore.
                                                                                                  The best for music is if you use Google Music, shows you what live shows are coming up in Dublin based on your library!
                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

So...traveled up to that Dublin to do an online sql server exam

Can't do exam because the server is down at the exam provider out in Asia somewhere

Fucking allanis moresette and her fucking spoons

Checked into a hotel, going for a pint!

I'm starting to believe those people who say it could only happen to me

Time to write that book
                                                                                                    Last edited by Guest; 16-12-19, 16:44.

Comment

So...traveled up to that Dublin to do an online sql server exam

Can't do exam because the server is down at the exam provider out in Asia somewhere

Fucking allanis moresette and her fucking spoons

Checked into a hotel, going for a pint!

I'm starting to believe those people who say it could only happen to me

Time to write that book
                                                                                                      Call it . Can't wait for the Sql.

Comment

Enjoyed that Solks, well played.

Comment

Ooh and those gig guide questions are now is there anything on in Dublin on a Monday questions

Comment

hearing some rumours that a local casino has closed it's doors
                                                                                                            Me too.

HJ knew

Comment

bad press over recent criminal trial?
                                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Me too.

HJ knew
                                                                                                                really!?

Comment

really!?
                                                                                                                  From what I'm hearing its closed from last night for good.

Comment

That's quite something.

Is it just the jackpot left now?

Comment

Enjoyed that Solks, well played.
                                                                                                                      Thanks but Don't encourages me for the love of god. .

Comment

Comment

. The pillar and the met have gone , the F*** long since hauled down.

Ring a ring o Rosie.

Make way for Dr GABs wonderful Emporium.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X