This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
    This. This 'episode' highlights the frailties of the system, for which there isn't a perfect solution. But surely there should be some way of ensuring that those who stand for election meet a form of 'minimum standard'.
    That you need in some way to win 50% of the vote (either by seats, electoral college, actual votes or transferred votes) has generally been regarded as the safeguard of democratic systems. If 50%+ want to vote for the nut then what can you do?

Comment

Somebody needs to kill him. It's just one big White Power organisation. They will be thirsty for war soon, Bannon wants to fight the Chinese.
      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
        Why do you do it to yourself DP?
        I honestly don't know, it's just turned masochistic at this stage.
        I can't ignore it.

That sad truth is left leaning folks have used terms like fascism, and totalitarian and invoked Godwin's Law so many times in the last few decades it has become meaningless.
        Now it seems it's justified but folks have cried hitler too many times.

I think we are living in historical times and just cannot turn away.
        It's enthralling.
        Last edited by DeadParrot; 02-02-17, 13:51.
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Reference Trump / Austrailia;

No protests about Aussies refusing to take refugees who have risked their lives on boats instead housing them all , 1,000+, in makeshift camps on islands and shipping them off to some other country.
          If Trump did that there would be fake tears galore............

Comment

So much love here for Stephen Donnelly TD a year ago. Joined FF today.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post

No protests about Aussies refusing to take refugees who have risked their lives on boats instead housing them all , 1,000+, in makeshift camps on islands and shipping them off to some other country.
              Australia is a very multicultural country that takes tons of immigrants and refugees. I would say they are a progressive country overall.

They however will only take them on their own terms. If you breach the terms, they turn pretty nasty.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Jaykers. De wurrrrrld is gone mad so it is.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                  Passed a pretty large queue of teens earlier on who had clearly been camped out overnight,actually felt bad for the knowing most if not all of them were about to get fucked over royally by Ticketmaster
                  You were right there, saw somebody that was queuing from 6pm yesterday evening, all night, get no tickets.

Comment

He reminds me of that staple of 70's british comedy best played by John Inman as the outrageously camp gay guy who is so far in the closet he genuinely doesn't know he's gay.

Donnelly in everything I have ever heard him say is a proper no nonsense socially liberal, economically conservative Fine Gael type.
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Ian Keatley. FFS.

Comment

Consider his house egged.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                          Ian Keatley. FFS.
                          Not too many other options. Carberry injured, Madigan placed himself out of contention. Carty was woeful last week in Toulouse (genuinely looks as though he doesn't know how to drop kick).

Hurry up and get qualified Bleyendaal.

Comment

Yiz are all just on monkey tilt.
                            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                Not too many other options. Carberry injured, Madigan placed himself out of contention. Carty was woeful last week in Toulouse (genuinely looks as though he doesn't know how to drop kick).

Hurry up and get qualified Bleyendaal.
                                Fuck that the IRFU placed him out of contention. Its a severe circumstance I think he should be let in. Cutting off their nose to spite their face.

And Fuck Bleyendaal. The sooner that rule becomes 5 years the better, I'd make it 7.

Comment

Fuck that the IRFU placed him out of contention. Its a severe circumstance I think he should be let in. Cutting off their nose to spite their face.

And Fuck Bleyendaal. The sooner that rule becomes 5 years the better, I'd make it 7.
                                  Not really - if you look at the weakness of the Italian and welsh club teams it is due to their best assets playing in France, the lack of control that the IRFU has over player availability when they are overseas is a big issue.

I am delighted that this rule is in place tbh as it has given us a huge relative advantage on the international stage. For an organisation that is usually not massively forward thinking this is working well.

Madigan in my eyes has proven himself not to be of the international standard anyway. At the best performances a joy to watch but far too inconsistent and patchy.

Also Marty Moore is a much bigger loss to the no foreign players rule. If we seriously think we will be beating England for the crown than we should be able to beat Scotland with me playing at 10 basically.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                    Not really - if you look at the weakness of the Italian and welsh club teams it is due to their best assets playing in France, the lack of control that the IRFU has over player availability when they are overseas is a big issue.

I am delighted that this rule is in place tbh as it has given us a huge relative advantage on the international stage. For an organisation that is usually not massively forward thinking this is working well.

Madigan in my eyes has proven himself not to be of the international standard anyway. At the best performances a joy to watch but far too inconsistent and patchy.

Also Marty Moore is a much bigger loss to the no foreign players rule. If we seriously think we will be beating England for the crown than we should be able to beat Scotland with me playing at 10 basically.
                                    If the rule does exist then I'd be disappointed if Schmidt agreed to it. Basic rule for a manager/coach should be that the suits don't interfere with selection, you have 100% control and succeed or fail by it.
                                    Always feel it makes you look weak like Roy Hodgson (John Terry) or Stuart Lancaster (the Armitrages), though I'm sure there are examples where it has worked.

Comment

If the rule does exist then I'd be disappointed if Schmidt agreed to it. Basic rule for a manager/coach should be that the suits don't interfere with selection, you have 100% control and succeed or fail by it.
                                      Always feel it makes you look weak like Roy Hodgson (John Terry) or Stuart Lancaster (the Armitrages), though I'm sure there are examples where it has worked.
                                      I dont think it is a hard and fast rule by the IRFU but definitely is in effect. I would be very surprised if Schmidt didn't agree with it. The policy may change under the next coach but Joe controls what Irish players are allowed to tog out for the provinces but cannot have the same control over the players who play outside.

Hodgsons England was shite for much more than JT and the armitages ego being added to that england squad was not the answer. British media focusing on the small issues instead of pointing out the outrageous cuntishness of their squads and how the English fascination with big men muscling their way to victory in every sport is a poor substitute for any creativeness.

Comment

Not really - if you look at the weakness of the Italian and welsh club teams it is due to their best assets playing in France the lack of control that the IRFU has over player availability when they are overseas is a big issue.

There is no rule set in stone so there is no point banging on like there is. I understand we don’t want a max exodus to England and France but allowing Madigan to cover injuries is not going to open the floodgates. This is a severe circumstance where we desperately need cover at the moment for a big six nations game. It’s shooting ourselves in the foot to be so strict.

If you tell me you would rather have Keatley on the bench then let’s just stop conversing. Mads is no world beater but he has international experience and his form in France is great. Keatley is on the bench for Munster and confidence is through the floor.

Also Marty Moore is a much bigger loss to the no foreign players rule.
                                        He is great but for this week he is not a bigger loss. We have better cover at front row.

If we seriously think we will be beating England for the crown than we should be able to beat Scotland with me playing at 10 basically.
                                        That’s just mental. Scotland have been flying a team of 15 internationals beat Leicester at home 34-0 a couple of weeks ago. They are very much a threat to us in Murrayfield.

Comment

I dont think it is a hard and fast rule by the IRFU but definitely is in effect. I would be very surprised if Schmidt didn't agree with it. The policy may change under the next coach but Joe controls what Irish players are allowed to tog out for the provinces but cannot have the same control over the players who play outside.

Hodgsons England was shite for much more than JT and the armitages ego being added to that england squad was not the answer. British media focusing on the small issues instead of pointing out the outrageous cuntishness of their squads and how the English fascination with big men muscling their way to victory in every sport is a poor substitute for any creativeness.
                                          Don't know where to start with that.

Joe does not have full control over the provinces or anything close to it. Yes he has more control than if they were on the continent.

Can you please confirm that you are saying England were better without Steffon Armitage due to his ego??

Comment

Gillian or Tony, please let me know what the weather is like over there at this time of year. I know a gang going over next week for a bit of a holiday.
                                            Hopefully it's not as bad as it is here at the moment. ...Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Gholimoli View Post
                                              to be honest i don't think i could even afford the flight to US ,even if they did let me in.

since 2012 ,Iranian money has depreciated in value about 80% due to the fucking sanctions .
                                              it was all staring to look a bit better the last year or so and now i just wanna cry .
                                              So what you're saying is it's a time to buy Iranian property. What can I buy for small money Gholi? Can you arrange a property syndicate for us foreign devils and obviously we pay you in hard currency.
                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

There is no rule set in stone
                                                I was just looking at that earlier.

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

That’s just mental. Scotland have been flying a team of 15 internationals beat Leicester at home 34-0 a couple of weeks ago. They are very much a threat to us in Murrayfield.
                                                    Ah lets not lose the run of ourselves. Leicester are a crock of shit and once Glasgow stuck the first few scores on they were always going to crumble. A better line is Munster v Glasgow in glasgow. Basically the Irish team will be 100% better than Munster were on that night and Scotland about 25% better than Glasgow were (if even). That was the match Glasgow needed to win to show what they were about and they flaked out of it in the last 20 minutes when it was put up to them.

Ireland will do them with a try bonus point playing in 3rd gear. Look at our bench for the last 20 minutes. A top class front row (even if not with a load of caps they are all there on absolute merit), Ultan Dillane and JDF coming on to face who exactly? Plus Ringrose and Henshaw have begun to put some decent game time in together. They'll cut them open for fun in the 2nd half.

I was in Murrayfield 2 years ago when Ireland went out with a clear plan. Cut these fuckers open and don't bother dicking around with penalties and a bit more of that ruthless attitude on Saturday and there won't be a problem. The fact Schmidt has a bag of another 10 hungry talented bastards dying to get on the 23 man panel will ensure guys have their heads on right.
                                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

I'd graduate the restriction based on age. A 29/30 year old should be 5+ years. A 21/22 year old 3yrs feels right but I'd also specifically ban the recruitment of underage talent into professional ranks.

Obviously they should allow Iranians and Somalians straight onto the team just to make a political point while they're at it!

Comment

Don't know where to start with that.

Joe does not have full control over the provinces or anything close to it. Yes he has more control than if they were on the continent.

Can you please confirm that you are saying England were better without Steffon Armitage due to his ego??
                                                        Not full control but if you like at over the Christmas period the internationals were only able to tog out for 1 out of the 2 derby's to reduce player fatigue, getting players released from the provinces for camps and yes if the national team needs a player to not get rushed back from injury than there is a lot more influence or pressure there.

Armitage would have just been another ego going into that team - they didn't win because of gameplan, system and essentially rugby ethos - the Armitages may have made it closer but was a minor symptom of the loss rather than the root cause.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                          I'd also specifically ban the recruitment of underage talent into professional ranks.
                                                          Good luck sneaking this past the Kiwi's but I have to agree

Comment

Ah lets not lose the run of ourselves. Leicester are a crock of shit and once Glasgow stuck the first few scores on they were always going to crumble. A better line is Munster v Glasgow in glasgow. Basically the Irish team will be 100% better than Munster were on that night and Scotland about 25% better than Glasgow were (if even). That was the match Glasgow needed to win to show what they were about and they flaked out of it in the last 20 minutes when it was put up to them.

Ireland will do them with a try bonus point playing in 3rd gear. Look at our bench for the last 20 minutes. A top class front row (even if not with a load of caps they are all there on absolute merit), Ultan Dillane and JDF coming on to face who exactly? Plus Ringrose and Henshaw have begun to put some decent game time in together. They'll cut them open for fun in the 2nd half.

I was in Murrayfield 2 years ago when Ireland went out with a clear plan. Cut these fuckers open and don't bother dicking around with penalties and a bit more of that ruthless attitude on Saturday and there won't be a problem. The fact Schmidt has a bag of another 10 hungry talented bastards dying to get on the 23 man panel will ensure guys have their heads on right.
                                                            I agree with some of this when you draw the line between Glasgow and Munster that's fair enough. I just don't see it being as easy as you make out.

I was there two years ago myself and would you not agree that was a totally different set of circumstances?! Just a mental day.

I think you were there 4 years ago as was I... Probably don't want to bring that up though :-)

If you are so bullish and think we win easy with a BP the spread is only 5 so lump on with some of that communion money we all know you still have!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fiery Wasabi View Post
                                                              Gillian or Tony, please let me know what the weather is like over there at this time of year. I know a gang going over next week for a bit of a holiday.
                                                              Hopefully it's not as bad as it is here at the moment. ...Thanks
                                                              Been nice the last couple of days. I went to collect the little one from school bus and had a cardi on and was too warm. I also have my washing out each day too. The whole week actually bar Sunday when it seems to piss down this last few weeks.

Around 16 at the minute. A light rain jacket, fleece etc is all you would need. But I never feel the cold so may be a bad example lol. Although Aimee was complaining about being too hot in her uniform with her school coat on!

Whapt part they going to?

"The average temperature over the next 14 days is forecast to be 16°C (61°F) and there will be 8 days of sunshine . The average for February is 13°C (55°F) in Malta. The warmest day over the next 25 days in Malta is forecast to be 3rd February at 17°C (63°F) and the warmest night on 2nd February at 12°C (54°F)."

Comment

I agree with some of this when you draw the line between Glasgow and Munster that's fair enough. I just don't see it being as easy as you make out.

I was there two years ago myself and would you not agree that was a totally different set of circumstances?! Just a mental day.

I think you were there 4 years ago as was I... Probably don't want to bring that up though :-)

If you are so bullish and think we win easy with a BP the spread is only 5 so lump on with some of that communion money we all know you still have!!!
                                                                Done. Not exactly a lump on but I put 65 on at various handicaps. We can see how I do.

Comment

Done. Not exactly a lump on but I put 65 on at various handicaps. We can see how I do.
                                                                  I think the handicap is safe, but I have a sneaky suspicion Scotland will push you for 60 minutes. I've backed a Scotland /Ireland ht/ft and also a france/England ht/ft. I think one of them will come off so at 6/1,happy to take the risk.

Comment

I admire your optimism so I'll get on board with you. That way I will either be saying I told you so or I'll be rich!!

GL us

Comment

error 404
                                                                      Last edited by TheDrunkenOne; 02-02-17, 20:35.

Comment

Telly experts, the inlaws were connected to some sort of dodgy shared tv line that is on the way out.
                                                                        Is there a foolproof, simple (Doesn't need a lot of channels either) type box you could recommend to use via the wifi?

Comment

I understand we don’t want a max exodus to England and France but allowing Madigan to cover injuries is not going to open the floodgates.
                                                                          This.
                                                                          But not at all convinced that Madigan is so far ahead of Keatly.

Comment

Minister of Finance in 2018 I'd say

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                              This.
                                                                              But not at all convinced that Madigan is so far ahead of Keatly.
                                                                              Hasn't got much of a run lately in Bordeaux

and if Lionel Beauxais is picked ahead of you, that doesn't say much!

Comment

Milano's is nothing more than a glorified Pizza Hut. It's the journalistic equivalent of the Sindo and the red tops

Genuinely surprised at Donnelly, had thought better of him. Probably shouldn't be overly surprise in reality, he is an Irish politian after all...

Comment

...
                                                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

...

Comment

Think it's pathetic that rational people give a shit about party politics. I like Donnelly. I would be more inclined to vote for FF now because he is involved.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                          Edit: response to Emmet follow up.

He talks well, but when you break down his ideas a lot of them are weak as fuck. Eoghan Murphy (? that's the name of the young health minister?) as the presumed next FG Minister for Finance will absolutely destroy him. That guy is smart af.
                                                                                          Think you mean Simon Harris.
                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                            Have no idea of the context of this, but I stopped going there after hearing that staff aren't allowed to keep tips you give them. A tip is apparently considered your contribution to their normal pay, not an actual tip.
                                                                                            Was a fair bit of talk on Milano's in here earlier on in the day

Comment

It's no Eddie Rockets.

Comment

...

Comment

Should be assumed that anyone involved in Irish politics is immoral, grubby and spineless.

Comment

Bullet train to Shannon

Comment

Bullet train to Shannon
                                                                                                      You really need to add context to your posts more often.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                        Not sure what you meant with the bolded part.
                                                                                                        I just meant that it's probably common in rural areas for the school to "help out" the local shop by going with options that can only be had there. They are probably related somehow.

The eldest went to a primary school that had a specific coloured shirt you couldn't buy in any other shop. The kilt thing was custom made and so was the PE tracksuit. The secondary was worse as that was those horrific looking brown yokes they wore on their feet that cost €110! found a cheaper supplier when she was in 3rd year and they were €60
                                                                                                        To be fair, we had a particular jumper for secondary. And tracksuit (which was terrible looking and cheap). Then the school brought in a specific runners policy to prevent, a cheap pair of HiTec that you had to wear in PE to prevent bullying/pressure to keep up with the latest Air Max.

There was no penny's when I was growing up. I went to school in the 70's/80's
                                                                                                        Surely Penny's is around since then. I've no idea I was only born mid-80s. But figure it's around ages.

I'd reckon there are way more Architects in IT today than there are in construction, also the word is probably more meaningful as a job title in IT than as it is used in construction.
                                                                                                        There may well be more. But if somebody told you that they were an architect - with other info. What you assume they did? Or rather what would the average person (with no bias to either IT or design/construction think).

I'm not sure what you mean by "more meaningful" tbh. The meaning of the word, or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                          Surely Penny's is around since then. I've no idea I was only born mid-80s. But figure it's around ages.
                                                                                                          Probably not in the UK where she grew up. They have Primark shops in the UK (same as Penney's here) but probably not around over there as retail shops as long I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Think they were mostly only in Ireland in the 70's and 80's. Didn't go big in the UK 'till much later.
                                                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                              You really need to add context to your posts more often.
                                                                                                              That gobshite Healy Rae was on TV putting it forward as an alternative to spending money on another runway at DUB

Comment

That gobshite Healy Rae was on TV putting it forward as an alternative to spending money on another runway at DUB
                                                                                                                A lot of problems could be solved by a small number of bullet trains or hyperloops imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                                  Agree, there are some albums that you just go back to all the time. Music man. Magic.

Albums I'd still sit and listen and just let play -

....
                                                                                                                  Was decluttering a bit earlier and found my box of cds from my relative youth. The ones that seemed to have been played to death were

Beck - Odelay
                                                                                                                  Primal Scream - Screamadelica
                                                                                                                  Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska
                                                                                                                  Bob Dylan - Bringing it all back home
                                                                                                                  Bob Dylan - Highway 61 revisited
                                                                                                                  Dandy Warhols - Come down
                                                                                                                  Oasis - Definitely maybe
                                                                                                                  Nirvana - In utero
                                                                                                                  Rage against the machine - Rage against the machine
                                                                                                                  Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads
                                                                                                                  Gomez - Bring it on
                                                                                                                  The Pixies - Doolittle

Haven't listened to any of them in ages what with spotify and youtube these days but they're probably all still in my all time favourites. I think Hotspur had a theory before about music you listen to when you're about 20 or so will be your favourite forever more(extreme paraphrasing)

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                                                    Think they were mostly only in Ireland in the 70's and 80's. Didn't go big in the UK 'till much later.
                                                                                                                    Spent a lot of time fitting out their new stores in Germany. Big over there, the Gerries mad for bargain shopping

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post

The issue in Australia is that not everyone turning up seeking asylum is an legit refugee. A problem for most desirable countries I'd guess.
                                                                                                                        They take in and process something like 15,000 a year. And try to prevent excess amounts (most actual come by plane). The 1,200 sent to the US were overflow I believe.
                                                                                                                        Most are accepted as refugees (eventually), but a couple of thousand are found to be false applicants.
                                                                                                                        I've no idea if the processing could be made faster and more efficient but I don't think letting anyone claiming asylum to just waltz in is an option. A free pass to a giant game of hide and seek would see the fake applicant sky rocket I'd guess.

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X