Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You missed your calling to become a scientist!

Unfortunately the problem I expend most of my energy on is how to keep my job. My 'mentor' has taken up an interim VP job in the university after they failed to appoint for it twice. I'm calling for the one time on him being named as full VP, in which case they'll either give me his job or I'll go to prison for arson.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
      Going into work in the dark avoiding all the wankers has to be good for your mental health, feels good man.
      Same. That was ok, but the alarm going off at 07:10 was absolutely not ok.
      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I refuse to give up good holidays/low hours even though it would mean 100k+ more money, not worth it to me. And I don't even have kids, choose wisely in the coming fiscal year

R&D for a company solves the keeping your job part for me Zuu. Plus you can get your bonuses tax free if you earn enough.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
          I don't have an alarm, fuck that noise. usually feel the same as you, woke up at 6am with unbridled energy today, not sure why. Didn't even have ginseng.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
            When I was young most of our pillowcases were from old flour sacks (my mother made bread every day back then). They were bleached and washed and were scratchy as hell to use as pillowcases.

As my older siblings moved out though things got less frugal thankfully so I was relatively spoiled with proper pillowcases and the like in later years..
            I spent much of my formative youth in no name jeans with EVERY SINGLE BRAND possible written on them in marker. W's on the arse, Lee on the pockets, Nike swooshes on the sides (my mam wasn't the most fashion forward)
            I may have even had the bros logo drawn on them.
            No wonder I refuse to pay for anything now
            At least 2 pairs in memory were hand me downs, from me ma.
            Jesus, wearing mom jeans during puberty, they are blessed I turned out as well as I did
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

oh sweet summer child
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

My Alarm was set for 4:30 this morning to drop the last of the emigrants to the airport.
                  Putting in a 3K swim and heading into work early instead of going home to bed for a couple of hours looking like it was very much the wrong decision right now
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                    I spent much of my formative youth in no name jeans with EVERY SINGLE BRAND possible written on them in marker. W's on the arse, Lee on the pockets, Nike swooshes on the sides (my mam wasn't the most fashion forward)
                    Jesus, wearing mom jeans during puberty, they are blessed I turned out as well as I did
                    Jimmy Kenpo was surely emblazoned somewhere as well

Comment

Have to be in work at 9. So need to leave the house at 8.50 latest. Alarm set for 8.30 wasn't nice

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                        Jimmy Kenpo was surely emblazoned somewhere as well
                        No, I had an official tracksuit for that

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                          Do you realize you're adorable? Maybe in just that one post ...but seriously adorable.

Comment

Looking for somewhere for 8 of us to go for a weekend to golf and drink in Ireland in late March/early April. Anybody any suggestions for location?

Rough itinerary is arrive down Friday evening to an Airbnb, dinner and pints, golf Saturday, dinner and pints, golf Sunday, drive home to Dublin. Any good golf courses around Kilkenny? Kerry is a trek but open to it. Cork?

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                              Looking for somewhere for 8 of us to go for a weekend to golf and drink in Ireland in late March/early April. Anybody any suggestions for location?

Rough itinerary is arrive down Friday evening to an Airbnb, dinner and pints, golf Saturday, dinner and pints, golf Sunday, drive home to Dublin. Any good golf courses around Kilkenny? Kerry is a trek but open to it. Cork?
                              Would all depend on handicaps and beer factor but Dundrum house hotel and golf course in Tipperary is a lovely spot and great challenge of a golf course and is motorway all the way from Dublin to Cashel.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post
                                Would all depend on handicaps and beer factor but Dundrum house hotel and golf course in Tipperary is a lovely spot and great challenge of a golf course and is motorway all the way from Dublin to Cashel.
                                Handicaps ranging from 2-20 with most in the mid teens. Prefer a town for the evenings for a few pubs etc. Kilkenny, Dingle, that kind of thing.

Comment

Play Mount Juliet on the Saturday and Carlow on the way home if Kilkenny.

Cork you could play Fota and Little Island.

We stayed in both Killarney and Westport for our trips but that was 3 rounds over 4 days and not worth it for 2 days golf with a long drive after the round on Sunday
                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                    My Alarm was set for 4:30 this morning to drop the last of the emigrants to the airport.
                                    Putting in a 3K swim and heading into work early instead of going home to bed for a couple of hours looking like it was very much the wrong decision right now
                                    Strewel, (or anyone else who may know) - Have you looked into micro generation of electricity and selling it back to Electric Ireland using solar panels?

Anybody with any practical experience of the process??
                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Galway City?

Decent choice of nightlife and a few courses to pick from which are not generally more than a 20 min drive away.

Choice of Oughterard ,Portumna or closer to the city @ Galway Golf Club . Few others aswell.

Maybe play Athenry or Ballinasloe on the way home on the Sunday

Comment

From Sligo you can play Enniscrone and Rosses Point. Enniscrone is a good 45 min drive from the town though, but meant to be a great course if you are into links and is close to Ballina if you don't mind staying in a smaller town, but there are still some decent pubs there. I don't play golf, btw. Rosses Point meant to be a challenging enough course as well and is only a few miles from Sligo town.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                          Strewel, (or anyone else who may know) - Have you looked into micro generation of electricity and selling it back to Electric Ireland using solar panels?

Follows curious post with curious interest.

Comment

HOMEOWNERS producing power from small turbines or solar panels will no longer be able to sell their excess energy back to the grid.

"It's basically saying we don't want people producing power. Half of the new power produced in Germany is from community groups and people producing energy.
                                            Pity.The ESB said the microgeneration scheme was a pilot project launched in 2009, and would remain in place until the end of next year.

However, new entrants would not be accepted from December 31 next.
                                            Last edited by Guest; 05-01-17, 12:30.

Comment

All power companies in the market should also be required to have a so-called feed-in tariff for renewable energy.
                                              Basically it won't be people or community driven any longer but by big companies. Vampires selling sunlight back to us. Well it's still better than oil companies. Would be better if they allowed homeowners through micro generation to too though. Sunlight is supposed to be free. If you can get the solar panels why not?
                                              Last edited by Guest; 05-01-17, 12:38.

Comment

What about Fermanagh. Maybe sleep in same bed as one of this lot as well as Thai massage and meal from Noel McMeel. website here http://www.lougherneresort.com/

Comment

You can't. They arent accepting any new micro-generation clients.

Plus the feed in tariff was crap and I think you were limited to 5kW anyway.
                                                  May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                    You can't. They arent accepting any new micro-generation clients.

Plus the feed in tariff was crap and I think you were limited to 5kW anyway.
                                                    It's to freeze out smaller producers. They are making it a large company industry.

Comment

It's a lovely idea though.

Comment

Deadlyparrot confirmed adorable
                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
                                                          It's to freeze out smaller producers. They are making it a large company industry.
                                                          I assume they just dont want to pay. Remember every single new house is required to have a renewable energy source (mine is getting a 5kW solar PV array as far as I know!). I also know from the data that it's basically useless... so it has that going for it

Comment

I assume they just dont want to pay. Remember every single new house is required to have a renewable energy source (mine is getting a 5kW solar PV array as far as I know!). I also know from the data that it's basically useless... so it has that going for it
                                                            Well yes. But it either serves to save the bigger grid as it is. Or pave the way for bigger companies. Either way it kind of seems like protectionism. The state wants us to pay water charges we don't want to pay yet it still asks us..
                                                            Last edited by Guest; 05-01-17, 13:04.

Comment

Well yes. But it either serves to save the bigger grid as it is. Or pave the way for bigger companies. Either way it kind of seems like protectionism. The state does not want us to pay water charges yet it still asks.
                                                              Really? Where do you get that idea... "the state" definitely wants us to. Populist politicians dont.

Comment

Deadlyparrot confirmed adorable
                                                                He has won me over. Imma sucker!

Comment

Really? Where do you get that idea... "the state" definitely wants us to. Populist politicians dont.
                                                                  Sorry typo .. i meant does want us to pay water charges. They claim it's for the service ...it's the disparity between the smaller supplier and the state owned company supposedly owned by us. They protect the countries resources for the state owned companies and don't let community projects and suppliers get involved. They don't want to pay for sunlight...we don't want to pay for water.
                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 05-01-17, 13:07.

Comment

Finally pulled the trigger on this lad. Dying to take it for a spin.
                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

He has won me over. Imma sucker!
                                                                      I know this might sound hard to belive, but he's even better in real life. Must get the two of ye out for pince some time.

Comment

All solar energy supplied to the grid will now come from only large companies. More than likely given government procurement and public contracts. It's a good size of GDP. And it's a shame they don't let community projects take part more. It would be interesting to see how that could be shaped even with water etc. Look at how Irish water handles contracts etc with abtran etc. I doubt they will develop green energy that far for along time but still.

Comment

I know this might sound hard to belive, but he's even better in real life. Must get the two of ye out for pince some time.

I don't know you I wouldn't feel safe.

Comment

I am a mouse in real life!

Comment

I'm sound m8. I wouldn't trust that Rigger fella, though.

Comment

I'm sound m8. I wouldn't trust that Rigger fella, though.
                                                                                Umkay. Good advice !

Comment

You wouldn't be.

Comment

On the golf......

Loads of great options but might be difficult at that time of year to get the top courses at the weekend.

One that we did before was Ballybunion. You can play the two courses there and stay in Listowel which was good craic for pints. The Cashen course there is every bit as good as Ballybunion old. You could also do Listowel for one night and go on down to Lahinch. Class course and even better town for being out.

Closer to home Wicklow is great. Endless choice of great courses. I played the European on Monday and it’s up there with the best I played. Very tough though so might not suit your group.

Enniscrone and Rosses Point is a good shout. I played Enniscrone on a stag this year and its quality but again very very tough. The drive back to Sligo isn’t great but doable.

Ballybunion and Lahinch would be my choice….

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                      From Sligo you can play Enniscrone and Rosses Point. Enniscrone is a good 45 min drive from the town though, but meant to be a great course if you are into links and is close to Ballina if you don't mind staying in a smaller town, but there are still some decent pubs there. I don't play golf, btw. Rosses Point meant to be a challenging enough course as well and is only a few miles from Sligo town.
                                                                                      Strandhill and Castle Dargan too. There's two courses in Rosses Point, championship and normal. Or at least there was
                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                                        On the golf......

Loads of great options but might be difficult at that time of year to get the top courses at the weekend.

One that we did before was Ballybunion. You can play the two courses there and stay in Listowel which was good craic for pints. The Cashen course there is every bit as good as Ballybunion old. You could also do Listowel for one night and go on down to Lahinch. Class course and even better town for being out.

Closer to home Wicklow is great. Endless choice of great courses. I played the European on Monday and it’s up there with the best I played. Very tough though so might not suit your group.

Enniscrone and Rosses Point is a good shout. I played Enniscrone on a stag this year and its quality but again very very tough. The drive back to Sligo isn’t great but doable.

Ballybunion and Lahinch would be my choice….
                                                                                        Tralee Golf Club is an outrageous track also FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                          Tralee Golf Club is an outrageous track also FWIW.
                                                                                          One of the best in the country. Was going to throw it in but don't think double figure handicaps will enjoy it!

Comment

@Dice 75 you survived the in laws then?

Comment

Originally Posted by PeaceandFire View Post
                                                                                              Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                              You wouldn't be.
                                                                                              I'll remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                Finally pulled the trigger on this lad. Dying to take it for a spin.
                                                                                                Thats the yoke I have, very happy with it for over a year now, excellent device. Super price for it too, hope you don't end up chatting to Amit about it.
                                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Breathtaking, the hectoring tone is quite something.
                                                                                                  This is what we create when we feed the egos of people who get paid to do a bit of fancy dress

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                    You wouldn't be.
                                                                                                    GFYD75

Comment

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

GFYD75
                                                                                                        I wouldn't be safe with Dice either.

Comment

I spent too long studying philosophy, and now my head is stuck like that.
                                                                                                          That's also me!

Comment

Greater uptake of e-cigarettes by smokers is likely to increase the number of people who successfully give up smoking, according to an independent analysis of health interventions.

Proof

Comment

I spent too long studying philosophy and now my head is stuck like that.
                                                                                                              That's also me!
                                                                                                              This is another cool scene revealing Mombi's secret ;)I also love the music during this scene.

Hmmmm

DOROTHY STEALS PRINCESS MOMBI'S POWDER OF LIFE.-----Return to OzDirected by Walter Murch1985

Comment

I have been in the company of Dice, AndyFB and DP. Dp was at our wedding and we were at their's last year. Andy came up to Letterkenny just before we moved to Malta. Dice is an absolute gent of a man who taxied us to Cork one day!

All of them are as sound as you will ever meet. All happily married and you would not be in safer company. Even the Rigger fella is a pussycat in real life. Was with him and his missus at a wedding too.

I met my hubby through the poker forum almost 9 years ago and when we got married we had a great turnout of folk from here.

So the moral is, don't be worried, we are all normal folks having a bit of bantz online but have drank with them on a good few occasions and have had some brilliant nights!

Comment

And when the stars go out. You can hear me shout "Two heads are better than none, One hundred heads are so much better than one."

I read Barry Devlin's Book the Ponzi man.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                    I have been in the company of Dice, AndyFB and DP. Dp was at our wedding and we were at their's last year. Andy came up to Letterkenny just before we moved to Malta. Dice is an absolute gent of a man who taxied us to Cork one day!

All of them are as sound as you will ever meet. All happily married and you would not be in safer company. Even the Rigger fella is a pussycat in real life. Was with him and his missus at a wedding too.

I met my hubby through the poker forum almost 9 years ago and when we got married we had a great turnout of folk from here.

So the moral is, don't be worried, we are all normal folks having a bit of bantz online but have drank with them on a good few occasions and have had some brilliant nights!
                                                                                                                    I am joking. I am sure they are lovely

Comment

Pulled the trigger on this bad boy, hopefully does a good job

Comment

I'm kidding. Anyone who draws on their trousers is adorable!

There is a post dedicated to you in the ladies fashion thread strew!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post

What about me. I'm fucking awesome like
                                                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X