X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
    What tax are you referring to here
    If you buy EU ETFs you have to pay income tax on the gains every eight years regardless of whether you are selling them or not.

If you pay your 41% but they tank the following year fuck you.

Comment

I admire a man who can change his mind, I'd prefer if he has a mind worth changing.

Good article here about one of the major post election discussions and a very much better one than that awful HBR one it refers to whose tone was 'My Grandad was a nice blue collar bigot and therefore everyone who voted Trump was like him

Anyway they were talking about you in the Salon article

It's a decent article although I don't agree with the "us & them" rhetoric.
      After reading it you have to ask yourself, if Obama was so good and Americans are happy with the last 8 years how are they where they are now?
      (Disclaimer: Just because I ask the question doesn't mean I necessarily think Obama was a bad president)

Comment

What tax are you referring to here
        I know you are old Tony but I didn't think you were over 65.

DIRT tax is 41% but is going to drop marginally over the next few years. Those over 65 are exempt. Why? I don't know.

The gross roll up tax on investment growth in funds is also 41% and no reduction is planned. It's applied every 8 years and is a real barrier to competition and long term saving. IF you lived in the U.K. you can avail of tax free growth via an ISA or LISA.

CGT is 33% but you may also be subject to taxes on dividends or rental income and stamp duty on purchases. This is where you buy assets directly and not via a fund. The costs can be much higher as a proportion for the small time saver/investor.

Basically it's pretty hard to make a few quid and avoid paying quite a large proportion of the gain in tax. Especially if you have a small amount of dough and therefore little access to tax advisors and financial planners.
        Last edited by V for Vendetta; 23-11-16, 11:21.
        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
          I know you are old Tony but I didn't think you were over 65.

DIRT tax is 41% but is going to drop marginally over the next few years. Those over 65 are exempt. Why? I don't know.

The gross roll up tax on investment growth in funds is also 41% and no reduction is planned. It's applied every 8 years and is a real barrier to competition and long term saving. IF you lived in the U.K. you can avail of tax free growth via an ISA or LISA.

CGT is 33% but you may also be subject to taxes on dividends or rental income and stamp duty on purchases. This is where you buy assets directly and not via a fund. The costs can be much higher as a proportion for the small time saver/investor.

Basically it's pretty hard to make a few quid and avoid paying quite a large proportion of the gain in tax. Especially if you have a small amount of dough and therefore little access to tax advisors and financial planners.
          Is there a way I could invest in my old man's name and avoid the taxes as he's 65?

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                Is there a way I could invest in my old man's name and avoid the taxes as he's 65?

I was about to post the response below, but was rereading to try and avoid coming across like a sanctimonious prick and had decided to delete it as that wasn't possible! However when I saw Hitch's response it explains my position so I'll post it...

The danger of what you suggest is he dies and you get hit with inheritance tax!

On a serious note I'm not going to advice you on tax evasion for two reasons.

1. I'm not a tax adviser
                2. It's not legal and I'm regulated by 2 different professional bodies and the CBI which all have specific codes of conduct forbidding me from doing so.

You could look into this as a legal way of saving tax between you and your old man if you wanted to gift your Dad some dough and you are paying top rate income tax. I'm personally planning to do this for MIL and my folks when they reach 65. But you can't "shelter" money with your Dad to avoid DIRT
                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Day 2 back at work: Wake up at 11.18

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    What.the.actual.fuck??!!!

That's just bizarro levels of trying to stop people saving for their future.
                    Yup it's crazy. It's also a massive impediment to competition as you are mad to switch from one investment umbrella fund to another if you are nursing a loss as the base line resets if you switch to another umbrella fund.

For example, I invest with Zurich and the fund drops 20%. If I switch to another fund with Zurich my fund can grow 25% before I get hit with a growth tax as I haven't grown my original investment. If I switch to Irish Life however all growth on the transferred assets will be hit with 41%.

And then they wonder why there is little switching and competition in the retail market that isn't driven by commission and brokers.

Comment

Those who know about these things, is this bad news for card sharing?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post

https://secure.sky.com/promotions/offers/box-swap/offer
                          It is the old white box they are doing away with. Here is what our Sky rep said

"It's for a free HD box not a q box like and only a handful of people have really old boxes"

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                            Bit surprised that UK home office can just say that they aren't allowing a PSG player into the country for the CL game v Arsenal.
                            He's no saint obviously but hardly the only footballer with a criminal conviction.
                            I'd have thought there was some unwritten freedom of movement guarantee in the background for footballers.

Thin end of the wedge surely with the likes of Messi maybe getting a conviction for tax fraud soon, they going to ban him for a big knockout game? Perhaps they can ban some players for questionable political statements? Obviously they'd be up in arms if some other countries treated English players this way.

Increasingly looking like I'll be supporting Axis in the next World War.
                            Lots of Arsenal fans in the Home Office obviously

Comment

I admire a man who can change his mind, I'd prefer if he has a mind worth changing.

Good article here about one of the major post election discussions and a very much better one than that awful HBR one it refers to whose tone was 'My Grandad was a nice blue collar bigot and therefore everyone who voted Trump was like him

Anyway they were talking about you in the Salon article

Salon articles like that are indicative of the problem.
                              Like, who is this aimed at and who is it trying to convince?
                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post

https://secure.sky.com/promotions/offers/box-swap/offer
                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                  Salon articles like that are indicative of the problem.
                                  Like, who is this aimed at and who is it trying to convince?
                                  Its liberals talking to liberals, nothing wrong with that per se, its only trying to discuss what the writer thinks is going on.

This catches the down the rabbit hole nature of the new normal

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                    Are you saying he should be treated differently because he's a soccer player?
                                    I'm genuinely not sure if I am or not, still not sure what I think about it other than it doesn't 'seem right'.
                                    Should there not be a 'danger of reoffending' element - just how likely is he to commit the same offence on a 36 hour trip to London when he'll be corralled with the PSG squad/officials?
                                    And again the Messi issue, when he gets convicted and sentenced to jail which he'll never serve then by the same rules he can't be allowed in for a game (unless he has become an EU citizen in which case it doesn't apply !)

What does it mean for an England World Cup bid, will there be Iranian/Columbian players refused entry because of some HO rule?
                                    Could even affect Ireland potentially down the line with Jeff Hendrick up in court on an assault charge soon. Euro 2020 final phase is in England and they may not have the EU clause if they've Brexited by then.

Comment

Good friend of mine and her Aussie boyfriend looking for tickets for Saturday if any floating about. I can collect & pay if it helps.....

Comment

...What are people's recommendation for Kindles?...Have zero idea of which is the best value for money...Preferably gonna try get it in the Black Friday deals if it is on sale...

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                          ...What are people's recommendation for Kindles?...Have zero idea of which is the best value for money...Preferably gonna try get it in the Black Friday deals if it is on sale...
                                          I've an original and find it brilliant.
                                          Guess one with a backlight (for reading in low light/dark) is preferable. Paperwhite

I think tesco usually does some decent offers on them too
                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Ultra-conservative Muslim group, wearing orange vests, told people in city of Wuppertal not to drink or play games for money in 2014

I love Germany but accepting this is crazy, nip it in the bud imo.

Comment

What's my play here?

My cousin's husband ran the marathon this year for the make a wish foundation. He wasn't a runner beforehand but he followed a training plan and got himself around it, raising about 3k for the charity.

I cheered him on at a couple of points on the route and the fact that he's a big guy and seeing others like him gruelling it out inspired me to run it.

Anyway, I messaged him on fb the next day saying how he inspired me to do it next year.

He replied saying how great that was and that if we convinced a couple more we could raise a whole load of money for MAW.

Thing is, I never intended running it for a charity, I just want to run it for myself. I hate the thought of hitting people up for money and then chasing them for it. I just want to train hard and run, nothing else. Plus, if I did decide to hit people for sponsorship I may or may not want to pick my own charity.

What do I do?
                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                bought a kobo glo recently as my previous ereader died on me. Love it, simple and efficient (as most are anyway), and i prefer epub to mobi personally.

Comment

started my new job this week. Fuck all time to get online whether it be to read here or news sites. Is that reason enough to consider moving on already? any less than 3 hours a day browsing and I would consider that hard work!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                    What's my play here?

My cousin's husband ran the marathon this year for the make a wish foundation. He wasn't a runner beforehand but he followed a training plan and got himself around it, raising about 3k for the charity.

I cheered him on at a couple of points on the route and the fact that he's a big guy and seeing others like him gruelling it out inspired me to run it.

Anyway, I messaged him on fb the next day saying how he inspired me to do it next year.

He replied saying how great that was and that if we convinced a couple more we could raise a whole load of money for MAW.

Thing is, I never intended running it for a charity, I just want to run it for myself. I hate the thought of hitting people up for money and then chasing them for it. I just want to train hard and run, nothing else. Plus, if I did decide to hit people for sponsorship I may or may not want to pick my own charity.

What do I do?
                                                    Either just tell him and accept that he thinks you are a heartless cunt, or else go along with it, but tell him that he can do all the fundraising and have him think you are a lazy cunt.

Either way he thinks you are a cunt. Serves you right for giving encouragement and taking inspiration from things.

Comment

What's my play here?

What do I do?
                                                      Tell him to suck a lemon.
                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Just tell him you want to do it for yourself and not a charity? What's the big deal? You don't HAVE to do it for a charity like

Comment

Tell him the only thing you're doing it for is the pain and that's reward enough in itself!!

Comment

What's my play here?

What do I do?
                                                            Either do a Roy Keane when an away friendly is coming up or arrange a Sonya Harding scenario for him.

Comment

Break your own leg.
                                                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

What's my play here?

What do I do?
                                                                Just tell him ffs. You're a grown man.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                  started my new job this week. Fuck all time to get online whether it be to read here or news sites. Is that reason enough to consider moving on already? any less than 3 hours a day browsing and I would consider that hard work!!
                                                                  Once you get established it might calm down. If not resign obviously.

Comment

What's my play here?

What do I do?
                                                                    I think if doing it for a charity you may as well get a foreign holiday out of it.
                                                                    I heard climbing Kilimanjiro hiking in new Zealand touring brothels in Bangkok can all be very spiritually rewarding.
                                                                    Personally I have lost any faith in charities.
                                                                    I did read Breifne Earlys book and though sceptical found it a good read.

Comment

Another class Ok Go video just out

https://linktr.ee/okgomusic Website | http://www.okgo.netInstagram | http://www.instagram.com/okgoTwitter | http://www.twitter.com/okgoFacebook | http://www....
                                                                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                        Once you get established it might calm down. If not resign obviously.
                                                                        Offices are by far the nicest i've ever worked in, and the view is great, so i'll give them another couple of weeks

Comment

If I'm lucky, I'd get 5 minutes during the day to browse on-line and that includes lunch which I normally work through. 3 fucking hours! Jaysus, I really am in the wrong line of work

Comment

You're 2 weeks ahead of me.

Starting to become terrified of having actual deadlines again. Life is very easy when you 'solve' the problem you've been given and spend many months maintaining it. Whole new ball game when the job actively seeks problems for you...

We got a place by Chalk Farm btw, nice gaf. First part of the move down last Friday was hilarious in its absolute failure. Car gave up the ghost on the way down the M1, coolant and water pump explosion. Only wanted it for 10 more days! Evening ended up with me on a train back to Stoke, train jammed so me holding the remnants of what was left in the car in one hand, the dog in the other. Train was packed, and a Friday so a few beers had been had by others. Some guy tried to make it to the toilet but was never going to get there. Puked all over the floor 15 inches from me. No option but to just stand there, brave face on. Hilariously bad luck day really.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                              Another class Ok Go video just out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvW61K2s0tA
                                                                              Shame their music is shit.
                                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

Glad the heinz 'can song' ad was scrapped. Not because of health and safety but because it's one shit ad and a stupid fucking idea.

Comment

Yeah, I'll just tell him I suppose. It's just he was so enthusiastic with his assumption that I was doing it for the same reason. I'll feel like a bit of a cunt. Meh.

Comment

Over 6.5 goals at 10/1 here
                                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                      You're 2 weeks ahead of me.

Starting to become terrified of having actual deadlines again. Life is very easy when you 'solve' the problem you've been given and spend many months maintaining it. Whole new ball game when the job actively seeks problems for you...

We got a place by Chalk Farm btw, nice gaf. First part of the move down last Friday was hilarious in its absolute failure. Car gave up the ghost on the way down the M1, coolant and water pump explosion. Only wanted it for 10 more days! Evening ended up with me on a train back to Stoke, train jammed so me holding the remnants of what was left in the car in one hand, the dog in the other. Train was packed, and a Friday so a few beers had been had by others. Some guy tried to make it to the toilet but was never going to get there. Puked all over the floor 15 inches from me. No option but to just stand there, brave face on. Hilariously bad luck day really.

Nice! you'll see Camden and chalk farm are pretty much vomit central on the weekend, so it's good it doesn't put you off!!

If you're stuck for help, give me a shout, i'm just around the corner

Comment

bought a kobo glo recently as my previous ereader died on me. Love it, simple and efficient (as most are anyway), and i prefer epub to mobi personally.
                                                                                        ...It's funny how this makes absolutely zero sense to me!!!...But thanks, shall google this and see :-)...Also the Paperwhite one that DeadParrot mentioned, :-)...

Comment

Yeah, I'll just tell him I suppose. It's just he was so enthusiastic with his assumption that I was doing it for the same reason. I'll feel like a bit of a cunt. Meh.
                                                                                          Isn't the standard that people cover their flights/hotels/costs as part of this 'charitable' venture?
                                                                                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

What's the difference? Serious question.

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                                            Break your own leg.
                                                                                            Needs more love.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                              What's the difference? Serious question.
                                                                                              .
                                                                                              almost nothing really. epub is an open format available to everyone. mobi is the amazon proprietary format. it's now easy to convert from one to the other but i just prefer a format which can be read by any and all devices except the kindle.

Comment

almost nothing really. epub is an open format available to everyone. mobi is the amazon proprietary format. it's now easy to convert from one to the other but i just prefer a format which can be read by any and all devices except the kindle.
                                                                                                Oh yeah it's a pain in the hoop having to convert for the sake of the kindle alright

Comment

Any recommendations for shit to do in Copenhagen? Going with the missus

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                                    A boat tour from Nyhavn and the Carlsberg Brewery were my two personal favourites. Picture with the Little Mermaid, changing of the guard at the palace, Tivoli Gardens amusement park (if its open when you go) and the infamous Christiania are worth checking out to. Bring loads of money especially if you want pints.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                                      Call into Kennedys pub and if my my young lad is working tell him to give his oul lad a call sometime
                                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                        online offer, my rival.go google !
                                                                                                        Job done although it did take 45 minutes with some dippy young wan that I needed to set straight on several occasions. And she wasn't able to do the BB. Ready to experience the wonders of Sky in a couple of weeks now. Hopefully the freebie Samsungv is decent as ours is fucked!

When you become CEO, make a note to fix the phone support.
                                                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

meh, most torrents have both anyway and anyone who isnt using calibre at this stage is a lost cause

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Christmas View Post
                                                                                                            Isn't the standard that people cover their flights/hotels/costs as part of this 'charitable' venture?
                                                                                                            Read this on boards and lol'd...

Recently I was asked to sponsor someone who is running the NYC marathon on behalf of an Irish charity. Their goal amount is €2500 out of this their flight,accommodation and race entry is paid for the charity gets the remaining balance. I declined the opportunity to help fund their jolly to the states.
                                                                                                            Neck like a jockey's bollix

Comment

Fairly cynical of Neymar.

I'll just keep annoying the ref until he cards me so I get my one match ban in a dead rubber group game and go into the knockout stages with a clean slate.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                Job done although it did take 45 minutes with some dippy young wan that I needed to set straight on several occasions. And she wasn't able to do the BB. Ready to experience the wonders of Sky in a couple of weeks now. Hopefully the freebie Samsungv is decent as ours is fucked!

When you become CEO, make a note to fix the phone support.
                                                                                                                Blocking you now!

what TV offers you get ? none id imagine. What TV pack did you go for.?
                                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                                  Blocking you now!

what TV offers you get ? none id imagine. What TV pack did you go for.?
                                                                                                                  Variety pack (has kids stuff) + Sports (for me and the young lad) + movies (for de wife).

€60 p.m. and then I get your freebie telly too.

Comment

Fairly cynical of Neymar.

I'll just keep annoying the ref until he cards me so I get my one match ban in a dead rubber group game and go into the knockout stages with a clean slate.
                                                                                                                    And Rakitic. Experts

Comment

Love the way that Messi bends the normal workings of temporality to his own genius.

Although the bleach and the tats just don't wash. Go back to being your unfiltered little idiot savant who only wants to play ball.

Comment

...

Comment

Variety pack (has kids stuff) + Sports (for me and the young lad) + movies (for de wife).

€60 p.m. and then I get your freebie telly too.
                                                                                                                          60 per month for how long? no way is that for 12 months???

63 per month x 6 months?
                                                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X