X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    This isn't the victory speech of a racist:
    It's a cut and paste of every victory speech ever.

I expect plenty of 'oh shit, what now?' moments over the next two months. Shure 'twill all work out.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
      Except he gets totally and utterly lost and just talks about the issues of Capitalism.

He also talks about anarcho-capitalism and not neo-liberalism.

We are not living in an anarcho-capitalist reality. Nowhere near.

Actually, I've just found this pretty seriously useful response to the Guardian' article on the Mises site itself

George Monbiot's attack on neoliberalism fails to account for the conflict between the Austrian school and the neoliberals.

Useful in the regard that the author of the blog post is also critical of neo-liberalism, but at least he understands what it is.
      Honestly I wouldn't have the foggiest on the various names of the philosophies etc so totally take your point.

All I was getting at is that the article mentions a raft of things that sound true and very problematic to a dilettante like myself.

Thanks for the link will give it a spin this afternoon.

Comment

So we have 3 hopes, he's a genius that played the voters and isn't a bigot/racist, he fucks up and is impeached, of Chad shoots him.
        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
          Honestly I wouldn't have the foggiest on the various names of the philosophies etc so totally take your point.

All I was getting at is that the article mentions a raft of things that sound true and very problematic to a dilettante like myself.

Thanks for the link will give it a spin this afternoon.
          But be terribly careful with the 'findings' he presents.

Just in the same way as that @RealPeerReview twitter account has 'genuine' pieces along the lines of "Climate Change was caused by White Male Privilege", people who disagree with something ascribe any and all problems to it, there are people who do the exact same with 'neo-liberalism'.

People who start with the answer they want and then 'build cases'* against it are not exactly useful people to listen to.
          Last edited by Emmet; 09-11-16, 13:15.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
            In fairness it'll be like Brexit for a bit. Initial mainstream panic, followed by a shrug of shoulders "is that it?", followed by the slow grind of negative impacts...

Given that US multinationals are likely to be "encouraged" to repatriate jobs and money to Murica what does it mean for Irish multinational jobs and property. What does it mean for logistics companies? You can't blame people for it being on their mind and trying to talk it through...
            I've no problem people discussing the vote and possible fall out from it. It's more the people who have never heard the words "electoral college" before and are now banging on like they invented the system

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
            CRH shares Sky rocketing. 9 year high.
            Up 7.5% today - Just on the back of the result or is there other factors at play here?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              That makes a lot of sense. Twitter would give you brainfreeze with all this micromanaging what is / isn't sexism / politically correct / the right wrong thing to say. There is indeed too much crying wolf.
              The Left - in some respects - has been taken over worldwide by its own 'extreme' wing, just as it's been argued the Right has. Extremists who probably only speak for a minority of a minority on either side now dominate the discussion, especially within the echo chamber that is social media.

Let's just gather up everyone, from the Iona Institute through NRA gun-nuts, from 'Trigger Warning' campaigners through neo-Marxist dreamers, stick them on an island and let them fight in out, leaving the moderate majority to work things out without the worst of either sides hijacking the discussion! Well, you can but dream...

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                The Left - in some respects - has been taken over worldwide by its own 'extreme' wing, just as it's been argued the Right has. Extremists who probably only speak for a minority of a minority on either side now dominate the discussion, especially within the echo chamber that is social media.

Let's just gather up everyone, from the Iona Institute through NRA gun-nuts, from 'Trigger Warning' campaigners through neo-Marxist dreamers, stick them on an island and let them fight in out, leaving the moderate majority to work things out without the worst of either sides hijacking the discussion! Well, you can but dream...
                the "moderate majority" elected Trump, and Cameron, and voted Brexit, and voted the 2004 Citizenship referendum.
                Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

"Yes, he was sexist and racist, but the fact people still voted for him is the fault of people who call out racism and sexism"

That logic is bizarre. absolutely bizarre.

Comment

A yuuuuge problem to my mind is how we've had this happen twice on our doorstep with Brexit and Trump (along with other examples elsewhere) and so many people still think the reason is mindless idiots and/or nutcases.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                      the "moderate majority" elected Trump, and Cameron, and voted Brexit, and voted the 2004 Citizenship referendum.
                      And for Same Sex Marriage.

Which fits perfectly into ionapaul's 'model' of the fishtailing extremist wings pulling the 'moderate majority' all over the place with them.

Comment

Yeah he's really pro-choice. SCOTUS is safe I think. Trump is going to have the best approval ratings. Highest in decades imo.
                        What? He was pro-choice. Then he abandoned that ship because it suited him. Kellyanne Conway is as rabidly anti-abortion as anyone. Did you even hear the third debate?
                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

A yuuuuge problem to my mind is how we've had this happen twice on our doorstep with Brexit and Trump (along with other examples elsewhere) and so many people still think the reason is mindless idiots and/or nutcases.
                          This quotes keeps rattling around in my head.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

The reverse of this coin is that if we do pull through a period of nationalism and protectionism, allied to picking on minorities when it suits as a distraction, that people will place more value on institutions which are trying to promote civility and cooperation. Suddenly giving the EU the Nobel peace prize doesn't look so silly...
                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

It's a pity in some respects that the diffuse nature of the modern media environment is such that everyone can have a voice and push their agenda or movement; I hate the echo chambers it creates and the fact that those with strong opinions or ultra-committed supporters can capture 'share of voice' disproportionate to what you'd otherwise expect them to have. Though as Zod alludes, maybe I'm way off here in being wary of the situation and it's perfectly possible that moderation is not something the majority of people truly want. I do feel that by capturing this share of voice extremists can drive agendas that heretofore wouldn't have flourished in the court of public opinion.

Actually, speaking to Emmet's 'fishtailing' image, maybe the way the Bolsheviks seized control of the Russian Revolution could be seen in the same way?

Comment

Comment

Very good stuff here re:above from Taleb...

The [Intellectual-Yet-Idiot] pathologizes others for doing things he doesn’t understand without ever realizing it is his understanding that may be limited. He thinks people should act according to their best interests and he knows their interests, particularly if they are “red necks” or English non-crisp-vowel class who voted for Brexit. When plebeians do something that makes sense to them, but not to him, the IYI uses the term “uneducated”.

https://medium.com/@nntaleb/the-inte...577#.4zsey8dgo
                                IDK what to make of him in general but this particular article (might have been posted before) I like.

Comment

It's so similar to the Brexit vote in the areas where Trump and the Leave vote gained traction.

It amounts to a rejection of the type of employment opportunities and the loss of status rather than simply no job = outrage. Basically white people are losing their dominance and don't feel that the middle class lives on offer are enough. They're not happy with the two incomes, working hard and feeling poorer proposition they seem to be getting and are looking to throw a bit of chaos into the mix as they are "as mad as hell and not going to take it anymore".
                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

It's so similar to the Brexit vote in the areas where Trump and the Leave vote gained traction.

It amounts to a rejection of the type of employment opportunities and the loss of status rather than simply no job = outrage. Basically white people are losing their dominance and don't feel that the middle class lives on offer are enough. They're not happy with the two incomes, working hard and feeling poorer proposition they seem to be getting and are looking to throw a bit of chaos into the mix as they are "as mad as hell and not going to take it anymore".
                                    Presumably there's also a bit of "you're working hard, fighting towards the American dream but finding it hard to get there - look at 'the other'; your tax is going straight to them as handouts and the system is now being changed for their benefit!" - if I was working hard, paying tax and was repeatedly told that it was being 'wasted' in the form of wealth transfers to illegal immigrants or layabouts, I'd be pretty pissed off too! I think the typical American viewpoint on how society and the economy should be run is really at odds with what we'd consider the Scandinavian model of capitalism, something possibly lost on many commentators who aren't in tune with it and can't understand why so many people are dead against Obamacare, etc... I'm sure we all have relatives over there who have shocked us by their opposition to policies that seem to make perfect sense to us.

Comment

The marginal value of the luck of being born in a developed nation is worth far less than it was 50 years ago.

And in 50 years it will be even less still.

It is (to my mind) almost impossible to avoid this whilst still working with the remainder of the globe. A wholly isolationist and self-providing state could possibly get around it. But I can't really see that being a goer either.

Neither of what Trump or Farage et al offered as a solution to this problem.

Comment

It's also interesting that the narative is about how the working class voted Trump, and while that is mostly true it isn't the whole story.

It's aboput preserving or regailing a priviledged view of society which never truly existed and wealthy educated americans went for this in higher proportions than the working class did.

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
                                          Looking bad for HRC, looks like the polls are swinging in favor of Trump. And I read that the primaries had a bigger turnout of Republicans which sways the numbers even more towards a Republican victory. And those numbers fell away after Trump wrapped up the nomination a month before the convention which also indicates that the number would have been even higher.

I think it's time to predict a Trump landslide. God help us all .
                                          Called it

Comment

The marginal value of the luck of being born in a developed nation is worth far less than it was 50 years ago.

It is (to my mind) almost impossible to avoid this whilst still working with the remainder of the globe. A wholly isolationist and self-providing state could possibly get around it. But I can't really see that being a goer either.

True but it's only a decline in relative value if all boats are being lifted. However, a lot of people aren't happy with that as they don't "feel" rich unless someone else is poor.

Ideas around a universal income/benefit become very interesting in this context.

Comment

By the way with all this Trump talk everyone is ignoring the very interesting step in India to remove certain bank notes from the system in an effort to hurt to the black market.

Comment

He started his campaign by calling mexicans rapists, then proceeded to highlight that all muslims are potentially terrorists. Has the definition of racism changed so much that these are no longer racist things to say? That pointing at a race and saying they all do this bad thing is now not racist?
                                                He didn't say that exactly, you like most people have taken what he said about Mexicans out of context.
                                                With your logic it would mean that no Mexicans commit rape.
                                                I don't think that there is anything wrong with protecting your borders from illegal immigration. When Australia turn away illegals do we call it a racist act?
                                                And Islam is not a race, it's a religion.

Comment

By the way with all this Trump talk everyone is ignoring the very interesting step in India to remove certain bank notes from the system in an effort to hurt to the black market.
                                                  is that a move to shore up banks liquidity?

Comment

If Trump has us doubting the latent racism of Australians the world will truly never be the same

Comment

Jibzzzz noticed last night but got lost amongst the doomsdaying

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                      Fuck off India.

Tried to pay for dinner with 4 500s and they wouldn't accept.

Comment

I think the best counter to this movement would be a universal benefit so that everyone feels they are getting something from the system. Combine this with a basic income tax rate starting at 15% and rising in 3-4 bands to 40% for incomes over 100k.

No tax credits or untaxed income except for the universal benefit which you could set at 6kish initially and aim to get it up to 12k over time and remove OAP, Widows pension, disability benefit etc. when you get to this level.

We need to remove the unnecessary tension between tax payers and tax takers and this would be an interesting way of taking the heat out of that argument.
                                                        Last edited by V for Vendetta; 09-11-16, 15:27.

Comment

is that a move to shore up banks liquidity?
                                                          Not really. Black economy is rampant so this is a way of trying to get people to pay their taxes. India is very interested in trying to move towards a cashless society for this very reason but hard to do in a country with a billion plus people and a poor banking/payment infrastructure.

Comment

Anthony Bourdain: Craft beer fans have gone too far

You know, I haven't made the effort to walk down the street 10 blocks to the microbrewery where they're making some f****** Mumford and Sons IPA. People get all bent about it,
                                                            This guy is right.

Comment

If Trump has us doubting the latent racism of Australians the world will truly never be the same
                                                              You could use that generality in every country in the world.

Comment

Australians are a bunch of wankers tbf.

Comment

I think the best counter to this movement would be a universal benefit so that everyone feels they are getting something from the system. Combine this with a basic income tax rate starting at 15% and rising in 3-4 bands to 40% for incomes over 100k.

No tax credits or untaxed income except for the universal benefit which you could set at 6kish initially and aim to get it up to 12k over time and remove OAP, Widows pension, disability benefit etc. when you get to this level.

We need to remove the unnecessary tension between tax payers and tax takers and this would be an interesting way of taking the heat out of that argument.
                                                                  UBI is not an answer to any problem in Ireland anyway.

If we take the entire cost of the state, add it to the social welfare bill, and spread all of that across all of the state evenly-enough, then there will be plenty of 'winners' compared to the current situation as lots of us will be relatively better off because of it.

However, it is zero sum. Those that are better off, by and large, will have had to 'take' money away from people that we conditionally give money to now. Those conditions (illness, disability, unemployment etc) won't disappear.

There really isn't anywhere near enough savings in the administration of our Social Welfare system that a UBI can cut out and put towards the people.

UBI (in Ireland anyway - a hugely re-distributive country already) would be little more than a backwards Robin Hood Tax.

Good article here - http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/01/bu...e-poverty.html
                                                                  Last edited by Emmet; 09-11-16, 15:46.

Comment

oh lord, UBI. In the middle of a housing and renting crisis (and childcare and cost of living issues living large also) I really don't get why the solution is to increase liquidity.

Comment

Look around, it is mindless/braindead idiots who can't see beyond there own self centered existence and don't have the capacity to think for themselves, nearly everywhere you go today the same braindeads are trotting out the braindead rhetoric they are constantly bombarded with by main stream media and certain social media, so the fact that more of these braindeads exist today than say 30 years ago doesn't make them any less braindead or nuts.

Comment

JFC sink the damn Seanad already.

Comment

Give Trump a chance. Reagan the actor wasnt expected to win and was laughed at many times but he is now regarded as one of the best /most popular presidents in recent history.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                                                                            Look around, it is mindless/braindead idiots who can't see beyond there own self centered existence and don't have the capacity to think for themselves, nearly everywhere you go today the same braindeads are trotting out the braindead rhetoric they are constantly bombarded with by main stream media and certain social media, so the fact that more of these braindeads exist today than say 30 years ago doesn't make them any less braindead or nuts.
                                                                            Honestly I don't meet very many people through the course of my life that are mindless or braindead.

Obviously people are self-interested, but when was that ever not the case? Really, making a post like that and including the phrase 'braindead rhetoric' seems almost like it has to be a deliberate pisstake.

The blame social media gets for everything is fucking retarded by the way since we're all tearing out our beards about results that are invariably the opposite of what the youth vote wants.

Comment

Incredible what he achieved. No political experience, knocked out 16 other nominees, and without the support of his party, or a strong ground game, and with nearly the full media against him, defeated a lifelong political operator. And on a fraction of the budget. Think that definitely settles the genius versus buffoon argument.
                                                                              He is a Bufoon. A thuggish rapey Chauncy Gardener with enough money and superficial charm to pull it off.
                                                                              Not a smart man, just a rich man.
                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I don't think this is what fascism looks like:
                                                                                Fascism is as Fascism does.
                                                                                My working definition is that which will say or do whatever it takes to attain power. Its quite likely that despite the violence and the racism he doesn't turn out to be a Fascist, lets see how it looks in 40 months time.

Comment

Watched Jumanji today. It holds up well, class movie to be fair.
                                                                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

No the definition hasn't changed:

Mexicans and Muslims aren't races for a start. He's never said anything negative about any other race. And secondly he didn't call Mexicans rapists, he said some illegal immigrants are rapists. Pretty big difference. He's made pro-African American, pro-LGBTQ, and pro-Hispanic speeches.

This isn't the victory speech of a racist:
                                                                                    LOL just LOL 1/10 for effort.

Comment

That is not a problem, that is reality and it is a very good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                        That is not a problem, that is reality and it is a very good thing.
                                                                                        I agree, but it is what Trump and Farage etc have painted as the most important and 'easily solvable' problem of the generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                          A solid spend of 20 quid. Myself and RDIII attended a few years ago and got suitably locked.

Wish I could go to that, looks great, the wine version of whiskey live last week. Tickets are pretty reasonable

Comment

Comment

...
                                                                                              Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 09-11-16, 17:15.
                                                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

...

Comment

oh lord, UBI. In the middle of a housing and renting crisis (and childcare and cost of living issues living large also) I really don't get why the solution is to increase liquidity.
                                                                                                  Because the alternative is the leftwing parties getting into power and driving MNCs, the wealthy, and high income earners out of the country.

Bring it in and let the middle income earners feel like they are getting something for their taxes and let the red tape of benefits fall away and remove the big poverty traps for people on benefits.

The housing crisis and all the rest aren't going away any time soon and even when they do it won't be enough for the "oppressed" masses. It's time for something radical and the choices are stark. Simply put bribery works...

Comment

Does this mean there will be no more apprentice series?
                                                                                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Comment

...

Comment

UBI is not an answer to any problem in Ireland anyway.

If we take the entire cost of the state, add it to the social welfare bill, and spread all of that across all of the state evenly-enough, then there will be plenty of 'winners' compared to the current situation as lots of us will be relatively better off because of it.

However, it is zero sum. Those that are better off, by and large, will have had to 'take' money away from people that we conditionally give money to now. Those conditions (illness, disability, unemployment etc) won't disappear.

There really isn't anywhere near enough savings in the administration of our Social Welfare system that a UBI can cut out and put towards the people.

UBI (in Ireland anyway - a hugely re-distributive country already) would be little more than a backwards Robin Hood Tax.

Good article here - http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/01/bu...e-poverty.html
                                                                                                          Exactly. I'm saying screw the unemployed and disabled and make a grab for the masses. The unemployed and disabled won't vote for the mainstream anyway. Beneficiaries in the US are voting against obamacare and net winners from Europe voted for Brexit. This isn't about targeting those folk but winning the hearts of the masses. Basically an inverse water charges. The mainstream folk shouldn't be protesting water charges and yet they did.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                            A solid spend of 20 quid. Myself and RDIII attended a few years ago and got suitably locked.

I do have a vague recollection of a pretty girl behind a Portugese wine stand.

After a couple of hours sucking down large tasting measures, she has the misfortune of GAB, myself and some other like-minded individual rocking up to her taste her wares. GAB twigs an accent he's not familiar with and goes into a full-on charm offensive. Eventually leading up to:

"So what part of Portugal are ye from?"

<confused look>

GAB repeats himself, sounding out the words nice and slow for the benefit of this supposed Iberian enchantress.

"Oh I'm from Portadown actually"
                                                                                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

This is fascinating (TylerD linked to it on Facebook):

Am a little surprised that of those who think "the economy" was the biggest issue, most voted for Hillary; Trump voters more concerned with immigration (no surprise) and terrorism ahead of money it seems.

Comment

Stock market in the US up now as well - there wasn't even a panic sell off to take advantage of!

Comment

https://youtu.be/B5wkoF2MxVg

Comment

what was the surgery for - still something to do with the accident? That seems like a neverending experience you've had as a result of that.
                                                                                                                    Just had to get the metal out of my arm since it has done it's job. It was metal rods so wolverine meme was quite apt. Really happy they are gone, painful year with them in. Liked disgusting people with them however.

Yeah although you get money to compensate it's so not worth it at all if you can avoid it! Finger will be a bit stiff forever I imagine but elbow is pretty good. Quite the long and painful recovery, also got way fatter from lack of ability to exercise!

Comment

Alvarez in the 2nd round for the loots.
                                                                                                                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                                                                        Alvarez in the 2nd round for the loots.
                                                                                                                        Amazed that McGregor's the favourite. Don't think I'll be betting but Alvarez is a much better bet

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                                                          Amazed that McGregor's the favourite. Don't think I'll be betting but Alvarez is a much better bet
                                                                                                                          Yeah the odds have reeled me in to be honest.

Laid Hillary for a massive €5 worth at 1.18 last night so will be putting the ~25 on alvarez 2nd round(or 20 2nd, 5 1st) now cause value and banter

Seriously though BBV, get me 2 tickets to Ireland Austria please m8's. Dying here
                                                                                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X