This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
    Trying to think of films that are better than the book they are based on. The Godfather is the only one that comes to mind.
    Dozens of 'em. Green Mile, Shawshank, the early Bond films, Cuckoos Nest, The Exorcist (close enough though), Jaws, Shutter Island.
    Though to quote a wise guru, it's subjective.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Christmas View Post
      No, that's your personal experiece. It's subjective.
      Surely that goes without saying.
      An opinion of a film, book, or anything can only really be subjective.

But that's the general consensus isn't it. Books aren't confined to 2hour-ish window. More scope to develop the story.
      Obviously there's exceptions, not suggesting it was a hard and fast rule.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
        Dozens of 'em. Green Mile, Shawshank, the early Bond films, Cuckoos Nest, The Exorcist (close enough though), Jaws, Shutter Island.
        Funny you led with King. The first one I thought of was Stand By Me.
        But not sure if short stories should be included.
        I'd still consider the books to win out in the vast majority of cases. Let's say, a subjective 95%

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
          Gas and Leccy are with Energia at the moment. I'm out of contrct and going to switch. Anyone switched recently? Best Deals out there?
          Did this also recently, and Energia sent a counter offer of 23% off. Was tempted not to change as it was literally only a couple of euro difference ,but left if go anyway. Well worth ringing them to save the hassle of changing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
            Reading Shutter Island at the moment funnily enough. The book is very enjoyable but the movie was too.

You can't compare really, both can be great in their own ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
              There are very few films that are better than the original book (where there was one of course ). So I wouldn't rate the film on that basis.
              Is it worth seeing? (I haven't read the book)
              Worth seeing but wouldn't be rushing.

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
              Was at the cinema last night and saw the trailer for The Girl on the Train, it did look good. Haven't read the book though. Looks very Hitchcock style.
              Very GoneGirl Esq.

You should give it a read.

Comment

somebody explain key money in Ireland, what is it for?

Friends wanting to openrestaurant here, getting quoted up to 400k key money.

Comment

Looking to start learning C++ from scratch, would anyone recommend anything other than what's on this list?

This question attempts to collect the few pearls among the dozens of bad C++ books that are published every year. Unlike many other programming languages, which are often picked up on the go from

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                    It means the good times are back!

Comment

New series of the entertaining and equally infuriating The 'Prentice starts tonight (Sugar version, not Trump) on BBC.
                      If TheCKid still lurks here you may be interested that one of the cast of your beloved Fade Street is one of Suicres would-be business partners in this series.

Comment

Brown paper bag, €200k, job done.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                          My poor GBP denominated Irish house deposit

Comment

You can thank the Tory conference for that.

In fairness the referendum vote was a clear out vote by John Bull and the Tories are going to implement it as it stands. This talk of a soft Brexit was always a load of bollix and never a runner.

Wait until they start publishing the dirty foreigner statistics employed by companies to encourage British businesses to hire "locals"....you'll soon be required to wear a shamrock on your lapel Emmet and the Irish house deposit will be the least of your problems...
                            Last edited by V for Vendetta; 06-10-16, 12:54.
                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

It's an upfront payment for the privilege of letting (or more generally sub-letting) a commercial premises.

For example, I have a mediocre trading business with a 15 years left of the lease at below market rates on Dawson street. You want to sub-let it for your sexy vegan hipster restaurant business and I quote you €400k in key money for the privilege.
                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

What way does sterling go from here?

Comment

Why is there so many derelict buildings in decent parts of the city? Surely the buildings passed Georges Quay and the area behind the luas around Jervis should have been redeveloped at some stage?

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                    Please up

Comment

Please up
                                      Surely it continues as the process moves along?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                        Surely it continues as the process moves along?
                                        I said please

Seriously though, yes. If May's hard Brexit is to be followed through with, then UK's balance of payments and import/export mix are going to wreak havoc on Sterling's value.

Never mind what impact an isolationist, protectionist UK will have on their own domestic product. Even if the Government do get the chequebook out (which seems likely) in an attempt to batten down the hatches.
                                        Last edited by Emmet; 06-10-16, 13:03.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                          Parity.

With dollar.
                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                            Parity.

With dollar.
                                            Sky News had a chart going back to the beginning, seems to be the trend anyway!

Comment

Looking to start learning C++ from scratch, would anyone recommend anything other than what's on this list?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...guide-and-list
                                              Just do this https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/faq_cpp

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                              It's an upfront payment for the privilege of letting (or more generally sub-letting) a commercial premises.

For example, I have a mediocre trading business with a 15 years left of the lease at below market rates on Dawson street. You want to sub-let it for your sexy vegan hipster restaurant business and I quote you €400k in key money for the privilege.
                                              Ah I get it, what confused me is one of them was looking to just "hold the money" which made no sense after googling.

They just are opening a restaurant in Barcelona instead. Some more people I know are still looking though.

Comment

I'm a great believer in the original texts, start with The C programming language by K&R its a thumping good read and the best way to learn the fundamentals. IMO it is simply not possible to understand C++ without understanding C. When you have got that then work your way through Stroustrup. Once you understand the fundamentals then learn STL use Scott Meyers to show you how to use them safely.

Why do you need or want to learn it? Its an immensely powerful tool that is easy enough to make stuff work with but that stuff will be buggy and leaky unless you really understand what you are doing or have someone expert enough behind you with a big stick enforcing standards.
                                                I would have thought all the kinds of things you'd want to be dealing with would be better done in C#
                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...guide-and-list
                                                    Would you not be better off learning Java or C# unless there is a specific reason to learn c++?

Maybe some of the devs can fill me in on why knowing a language from that far back is worthwhile but its old tech that the newer languages are built on is my understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                      I'm a great believer in the original texts, start with The C programming language by K&R its a thumping good read and the best way to learn the fundamentals. IMO it is simply not possible to understand C++ without understanding C. When you have got that then work your way through Stroustrup. Once you understand the fundamentals then learn STL use Scott Meyers to show you how to use them safely.

Why do you need or want to learn it? Its an immensely powerful tool that is easy enough to make stuff work with but that stuff will be buggy and leaky unless you really understand what you are doing or have someone expert enough behind you with a big stick enforcing standards.
                                                      I would have thought all the kinds of things you'd want to be dealing with would be better done in C#
                                                      Just for work.

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                      Would you not be better off learning Java or C# unless there is a specific reason to learn c++?

Maybe some of the devs can fill me in on why knowing a language from that far back is worthwhile but its old tech that the newer languages are built on is my understanding.
                                                      Yeah specific reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                        Always a big fan of assuming that things won't be as bad as it seems they might turn out to be. E.g. my points at the height of the Irish financial crisis about how it would all get better. But this UK thing seems like a whole different direction. A country seemingly willfully following racist objectives over economic objectives.

Every single analysis shows that foreignors contribute vastly more to the UK economy than they get out of it. Seemingly they are now being encouraged to leave and be good members of society elsewhere. They are leaving access to the biggest economic block in the world that they were a member of at negligible cost. The actual British population is also woefully undereducated too, and has now crippled the next generation of middle classers who do venture to uni with £40k graduation loans. Their national debt is very high and set to rise a lot higher. They're screwed, that's it.
                                                        On the plus side I can go and see Liverpool in 2 weeks time for far cheaper. Every cloud etc.

Comment

Just for work.
                                                          Yeah specific reason.
                                                          Assuming the task is to maintain or build on something that is already there...

Then with another couple of things that would need to be in place, that you have already got some understanding of a programming language and OO concepts along with a thorough understanding of the existing product.
                                                          Then I'd just dive in spending equal amounts of time working through Stroustrup's 'principals and practice' or any good primer and in parallel learning and understanding the existing code and what needs to be done with it.

Comment

I want to go and view a car in Ballymahon, Longford. How would you go about getting a mechanic to look at it? Ring a local garage and throw them 50 quid or how does it work?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                              Surely that goes without saying.
                                                              An opinion of a film, book, or anything can only really be subjective.
                                                              One would think, however you've stated it at least a half dozen times in recent memory.

Originally posted by Mellor
                                                              But that's the general consensus isn't it. Books aren't confined to 2hour-ish window. More scope to develop the story.
                                                              Obviously there's exceptions, not suggesting it was a hard and fast rule.

As the Harry Potter franchise draws to a close with the premier last night of The Deathly Hallows Part 2, we take a look at how the books and films have done. How do they compare?

I'm curious as to what percentage of books you have read after seeing the movie, as opposed to the other way around?

Have you read any of these?
                                                              Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 06-10-16, 15:23.
                                                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

for RDIII
                                                                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                                                Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Thats not the way it works, its more a matter of different tools for different jobs.
                                                                  More C++ being written now than at any previous time and market share has been growing again markedly in the last five years.

Comment

Cargo Cult programming is pretty much an industry standard
                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                      Full on Shill mode here now but we (BetBright) released a truly innovative football product today that should be a no brainer to anybody that does a football multi. The product is called Acca +1 and the concept is that we give you a free leg in your multiple bet.

So it works like this

1. Pick a minimum of 4 selections
                                                                      2. The odds of that acca must be a minimum of 7/1
                                                                      3. At that stage we will pop you with Acca +1 and invite you to add a free selection to your bet. If your bet wins and the bonus +1 leg wins then you get it added in a bonus, if your bet wins and the bonus leg loses then no harm done you are still a winner.
                                                                      4. Max bonus payout is £500 and is paid as cash.

Images below - the bonus selections change all the time as different events start.
                                                                      SPOILER

Don't have an account, best sign up option?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                            Full on Shill mode here now but we (BetBright) released a truly innovative football product today that should be a no brainer to anybody that does a football multi. The product is called Acca +1 and the concept is that we give you a free leg in your multiple bet.

So it works like this

1. Pick a minimum of 4 selections
                                                                            2. The odds of that acca must be a minimum of 7/1
                                                                            3. At that stage we will pop you with Acca +1 and invite you to add a free selection to your bet. If your bet wins and the bonus +1 leg wins then you get it added in a bonus, if your bet wins and the bonus leg loses then no harm done you are still a winner.
                                                                            4. Max bonus payout is £500 and is paid as cash.

Images below - the bonus selections change all the time as different events start.
                                                                            SPOILER

That actually is a no brainer for anyone doing a football acca. Is it live now

Also any bonus sign up code? In a group on Facebook and I'd imagine 1% have betbright account

Comment

LOL at backing a 4/5 shot for the bonus even if it is Argentina against Peru

That is a very good offer TBF.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                I could see President Trump doing this
                                                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Ordered too much food for myself.

#whatamilike

Comment

Where's Oleras...

Comment

LOL at backing a 4/5 shot for the bonus even if it is Argentina against Peru

That is a very good offer TBF.
                                                                                      Is the bonus pick picked by Betbright or the punter?

Good idea all the same

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                                                        Ordered too much food for myself.

#whatamilike
                                                                                        Least you're prepared for the game later

Comment

Well, first week over minding the little ones. Wife just dropped me to the pub. Poker and match tonight was at least something to get me through the last 4 days. Fillet steak and some Rioja till then....

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                            Where's Oleras...
                                                                                            Was thinking the same. Backed him anyway AGS and FGS

Comment

Good idea all the same
                                                                                              They give you a choice of 4.

Comment

Wine dickheads, how do I get a cold red to a decent temperature without waiting hours?

Comment

Microwave obv.

Comment

But more seriously, boil a teatowel for a few mins and wrap the bottle in it.

Comment

Good idea all the same
                                                                                                      Punter choice I believe.

Comment

It's a great offer but can I stress how much I hate the word 'acca'
                                                                                                        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                          But more seriously, boil a teatowel for a few mins and wrap the bottle in it.
                                                                                                          This worked well.

Tonight's courses are.

Steak & Red.
                                                                                                          Blue Cheese & Red.
                                                                                                          Dark Chocolate & Red.
                                                                                                          Red.

Comment

Just ditched Sky TV and Virgin BB for Eir's bundle. Gone from €115 pm to €70 and it includes the eir and BT sport channels.

Hope the interface is good.
                                                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                              Just ditched Sky TV and Virgin BB for Eir's bundle. Gone from €115 pm to €70 and it includes the eir and BT sport channels.

Hope the interface is good.
                                                                                                              ah dude...

Comment

Just out from the aviva

I tried to do a jump over the wall but the stewards caught me and said "get back in there and watch the end of it".
                                                                                                                Fuck that.

Comment

Where's Oleras...
                                                                                                                  Only in the door from work.

Second half it is, in Jeff we trust.

14/1.
                                                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Pretty classic quote from a witness to the Aaoron smith cubicle incident, very kiwi

All Blacks star Aaron Smith has been sent home from South Africa after “breaching team standards regarding behaviour” after he was seen walking into a disabled toilet cubicle with a “female friend” at Christchurch Airport.

Sam Jones to miss England’s autumn internationals with broken leg
                                                                                                                    The New Zealand coach, Steve Hansen, confirmed at a press conference on Wednesday that the scrum-half was on a plane back home and will miss the Test in Durban having accepted that his behaviour was “not of All Blacks standard”.

“On our arrival to South Africa on Monday we were informed on this,” Hansen said.

AdvertisementHide
                                                                                                                    “I had a conversation with Aaron who confirmed the story. As a result of this the leadership group met and were unanimous in the fact the behaviour wasn’t acceptable and as a consequence a one-match suspension would be put in place.”

According to a report in the New Zealand Herald, a witness saw the 27-year-old enter a disabled toilet with a female – understood not to be his partner Teagan Voykovich – at Christchurch Airport on Sunday, the day after the All Blacks Test against South Africa in Christchurch.

“The pair were in the bathroom for 5-10 minutes and from the noises coming out of the bathroom there was absolutely no question what the couple were doing in there,” he said.

“Mr Smith then came out of the room on his own straightening up his white checked shirt and black dress pants [the All Blacks uniform they were all wearing at the time].

“About a minute later the young lady comes out of the same toilet cubicle looking equally suspicious. I myself did not have a problem with this... my wife, however, is protesting that this is disgusting for a public figure to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

14/1.

paddy enhanced was wales and ireland @ 5/1

think I'll get on the jeff train

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

14/1.
                                                                                                                        Duffy

Comment

Field hockey goal from Ireland

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X