This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
    I believe I suggested this a few days ago. The issue is the Nordies. We're hardly going to join with the Scots and not look for the North as well, and those guys are just a pain in the ass.
    I would guess it's third in her list of possiblities (i.e. first prefer own State, second force Uk to stay in longer, third us). That she spoke to President (ceremonial 'head of state' type functions only) as well as Taoiseach (political functions) indicates it might be on her agenda

It would be possible, by vote, for us to 'take' Scotland in somehow without the North, but very unlikely.

Biggest threat to Ireland from the whole Brexit thing (imo) is that we'll be somehow put in position of having to accept United Ireland. Cost implications for us of bringing all their public servants up to our standards, their huge social welfare class to our levels etc... would be enormous.

If we thought taking hit on the Banks a couple of years ago was 'taking one for the team' - the sheer money implications of taking in our Northern Brethern would be ginormous.

Comment

Originally posted by Lplated View Post
      If we thought taking hit on the Banks a couple of years ago was 'taking one for the team' - the sheer money implications of taking in our Northern Brethern would be ginormous.
      Something in the region of €6bn per year?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
        I don't believe them over the Zika virus. I really don't.

Scott and Oosthuizen said it as it is. A scheduling issue. IE, could not be arsed.
        Both Lebron and Curry not going to Olympic B Ball as they preferred to rest for next season / cant be arsed and called it that way but Lowry looks as if he really wanted to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
          More like 36 no?

Comment

Originally posted by EnzoScifo View Post
            Both Lebron and Curry not going to Olympic B Ball as they preferred to rest for next season / cant be arsed and called it that way but Lowry looks as if he really wanted to play.
            Yeah. That's the thing about him. Thought he'd do anything to play. Finishing second in the US has renewed his goal of qualifying for Ryder cup. Going there in the middle of heavy schedule would fcuk that up imo.

Interesting to see what Spieth does.

Comment

Think its much more than that.

We'll have to stump up not just the balance that London currently ships them each year, but also an amount additional to that to bring them up to parity with our wage (public service) levels, social welfare etc etc.... In addition, we'll assume liability for their long term pension liabilities, etc etc....

Comment

But that's based on current costs? Which surely go nuts if ROI levels of pay and social welfare are applied?

Plus the fun of harmonising everything... and if you think the school religion thing is bad in ROI.. etc etc etc
                May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                  I respect all doominess but this is el nutso stuff.
                  Gunboats off Gibraltar, ?? took some diplomatic effort two years ago to head that one off.

Spains Foreign Minister declared last week that joint soverignty would be a minimum requirement for any new Spanish govt.

Unlikely, sure, but ...

Comment

Golf is a joke in the olymipcs but if they have it it would be good to see a couple of the top Irish Amatuer golfers or rookie pro's go in the first place. Would be a great experience for them.

Regarding rugby how about a capped weight for props and second rowers. Weigh ins 24hrs before kickoff. That will keep them professional anyway(no IV's allowed). Make it 13-a-side to promote an open running game again as 15 is too much nowadays with no space anymore. Uncontested scrums outside the 22 only contested scrums inside the 22. Stricter drug tests too.

Unrelated to injuries, drop kicks only 1pt as drop kicks are a cheat. Except for a penalty advantage. Drop kick 3pts on a penalty advantage.
                    Last edited by rounders123; 28-06-16, 15:23.

Comment

Golf is already in the 2020 olympics. Decision to be made for 2024 in the next month or so. Zika is complete bullshit. More chance of catching it in Florida I believe. As a point when tennis was introduced back into the Olympics very few of the top 10 in the world played. I think location and time of year doesn't suit golf at all being in the middle of 2 majors. If it was in the states most would play I imagine.
                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                        Golf is a joke in the olymipcs but if they have it it would be good to see a couple of the top Irish Amatuer golfers or rookie pro's go in the first place. Would be a great experience for them.

Regarding rugby how about a capped weight for props and second rowers. Weigh ins 24hrs before kickoff. That will keep them professional anyway(no IV's allowed). Make it 13-a-side to promote an open running game again as 15 is too much nowadays with no space anymore. Uncontested scrums outside the 22 only contested scrums inside the 22. Stricter drug tests too.

Unrelated to injuries, drop kicks only 1pt as drop kicks are a cheat. Except for a penalty advantage. Drop kick 3pts on a penalty advantage.
                        Was also going to suggest weight limits but realistically drug testing is the big one, a sport I'd bet my left bollock is utterly riddled.

Who wants the under on 100% of Six Nations internationals juicing?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                          Was also going to suggest weight limits but realistically drug testing is the big one, a sport I'd bet my left bollock is utterly riddled.

Who wants the under on 100% of Six Nations internationals juicing?
                          I agree to an extent-

But what do you think they are taking?
                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                            Yeah. That's the thing about him. Thought he'd do anything to play. Finishing second in the US has renewed his goal of qualifying for Ryder cup. Going there in the middle of heavy schedule would fcuk that up imo.

Interesting to see what Spieth does.
                            What is interesting is that at the moment 9 of the top 100 have pulled out, the majority on medical advice but apart from the 3 Irish the others are 3 Aussies (Day, Scott and Leishmen) + 3 South Africans (Grace, Oosthizen and Schwartzel). Is this becoming a country medical stance / advice issue? You would think if it was a major concern then the Americans would be the 1st country to bail?

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                              I agree to an extent-

Drugs.

Comment

Drugs.
                                Smartass.

HGH? EPO? Testosterone? Clenbuterol? Cocaine? Weed?
                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Smartass.

HGH? EPO? Testosterone? Clenbuterol? Cocaine? Weed?
                                  In fairness WADA don't even know what to test for never mind me. At a guess, whatever the best drugs/techniques are for increasing muscle mass, increasing VO2Max and improving recovery times for a start.

If it was me I'd probably blast through a kilo of speed before a game too, just to be safe.

Comment

I remember as far back as 18 years ago an alumni of Terenure college was telling me it was common practice the schools team were taking all types of 'supplements' in an organised matter of fact way.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                      I don't really do coincidence.

Comment

In fairness WADA don't even know what to test for never mind me. At a guess, whatever the best drugs/techniques are for increasing muscle mass, increasing VO2Max and improving recovery times for a start.

If it was me I'd probably blast through a kilo of speed before a game too, just to be safe.
                                        Absolutely. And I agree that most professional athletes would be taking something against the rules and lots within the rules.

I remember as far back as 18 years ago an alumni of Terenure college was telling me it was common practice the schools team were taking all types of 'supplements' in an organised matter of fact way.
                                        This is so much more likely to be -

Take this whey protein and creatine pre and post workout and some before bed, continuously.

than -

Inject this intravenous steroid on a 6 week cycle but come off it before the season starts.

I know this topic annoys people here and its been done to death so I'll stop now.

Comment

Take this whey protein and creatine pre and post workout and some before bed, continuously.
                                          Would agree with this. Didn't play rugby to a high level but was in Blackrock college in the late 90's and everyone was crazy about creatine. Was pretty sad to see guys on the senior 4th/5ths taking it thinking it'd give them enough of an edge to get to the cup team

Comment

than -

Inject this intravenous steroid on a 6 week cycle but come off it before the season starts.

I know this topic annoys people here and its been done to death so I'll stop now.
                                            I've been told this is exactly what went on with young lads trying to make it. Some did so I believe it.

These days there is muppets injecting to get bigger arms so their selfies looks better so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a decent % of lads trying to make a career in rugby studying better ways to become a mini hulk.

How does someone like Cian Healy smash himself up, crock himself with injuries, return earlier than expected and never lose muscle mass? Drugs m8.

Comment

Glad to see my view of golf as a sport for wierdly-attired pussies is solidly confirmed.
                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I thought Whey protein and Creatine were safe and legal
                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                  They are.

Comment

Of course they are just an easier way of getting quick protein into you especially just after a weights session workout.
                                                    Easier then having a 6 ounce steak or chicken breast in your gym bag.
                                                    People see young lads putting a couple of scoops of whey into a mixer and they think there on steroids.
                                                    Professional rugby suits mostly men who have a very strong build already put in a few years of dedicated dieting and weight training and of course they are going to be huge.

I have no doubt juicing goes on at all levels since time began people will do what they can to get a perceived edge.
                                                    Having weight restictions is ridiculous look at New Zealand they never have the biggest pack they go for athletes the French have a 24 stone prop whos gassed after 40 mins.
                                                    They do at underage level play young lads by weight as many of islander descent are huge for there age and it helps balance.

Comment

Glad to see my view of golf as a sport for wierdly-attired pussies is solidly confirmed.
                                                      Don't/Didn't you play cricket?

Comment

Sure, we'd be worth it!

Comment

Body wasn't able to keep up with his abilities.

Serious injury after serious injury took their toll. Staggering enough how well he was able to play in between them!
                                                          He should have loaded up on drugs like the rest of them.

edit: I see I'm way behind with the rugby drug accusations, carry on.
                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Don't/Didn't you play cricket?
                                                            What are you saying?

Cricket is tough, you might get smacked in the head (see Phil Hughes). Golf is, errrr, not a real sport.

As confirmed by its most expert practitioners being afraid (500,000\1 shot) of being bitten by a mosquito.

Comment

Jesus yeah. Look at the hit Germany took to absorb the DDR.

Mind you they were Germans, not tribally-obsessed welfare junkies with more chips than shoulders.

Comment

Excuse me, I seem to have turned into PSV.

Comment

What are you saying?

Cricket is tough, you might get smacked in the head (see Phil Hughes). Golf is, errrr, not a real sport.

As confirmed by its most expert practitioners being afraid (500,000\1 shot) of being bitten by a mosquito.
                                                                  Yeah its the zika virus thats making them not go alright.
                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Decent under 21 hurling on tg4 at the mo

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                      Decent under 21 hurling on tg4 at the mo
                                                                      Fair City on RTE1 tho

Comment

Jesus yeah. Look at the hit Germany took to absorb the DDR.

Mind you they were Germans, not tribally-obsessed welfare junkies with more chips than shoulders.
                                                                        Not that I have any intention of ever voting for a united Ireland, bur wouldn't the EU stump up at least some decent amount of dosh (even if not near enough) for something as geopolitically big as this, or is that being too optimistic? Give them their own independence from London and let them try to stand on their own 2 feet first financially speaking before something as crazy as reunification is discussed imo. Give it at least another 50 years.

Comment

Comment

Weight caps is not a runner imo but drug testing is a must. Everyone knows that the problem is right down to academy level at near total levels and an issue at schools now.

Not sure what uncontested scrums or lower scoring drop goals would achieve so I would say no to both. I also don't see why less men is required, coaching is turning a corner in the running respect as we can see this season. Rugby is much higher scoring then The pre pro era when Ireland v Scotland could have ended in a 6-3 score line.

People seem to remember these 10 try thrillers from when they were young but they didn't really happen. If you want that then go watch 7's.

Part of the reason why players are injured more now is that medical staff don't let people play injured anymore so people are sidelined for longer for less.

The massive change required is obv in drugs tho - everyone knows it but it needs to be tackled at an international level first and there is no appetite for it strangely. Don't change it and we will start having a lot of 25-26 retirements and the game will suffer massively.

Comment

You fucking morons

Comment

You fucking morons
                                                                                Jayzus, Newsnight using the Sex Pistols 'Anarchy In The UK' for their coverage. Makes me feel so old
                                                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Between the huge national resources we have off irish shores, we could well afford it.
                                                                                  All we need to do is massively mine all of our non renewable energy reserves, then reinvest in wind and wave power and become the source of energy in europe
                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Serious read on what next for the Brexiteers - https://ukconstitutionallaw.org/2016...pensable-role/

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                      Between the huge national resources we have off irish shores, we could well afford it.
                                                                                      All we need to do is massively mine all of our non renewable energy reserves, then reinvest in wind and wave power and become the source of energy in europe
                                                                                      But the effort m8, just give it to the lads like the nice little people we are.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                                                        But the effort m8, just give it to the lads like the nice little people we are.
                                                                                        How's Zola m8. Must be big now after everything he went through? Any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                          How's Zola m8. Must be big now after everything he went through? Any pics?
                                                                                          He's tops. Teaching him judo recently. Hes learned to jump over my leg sweeps when's he jumped up and on his back two. Clever little bastard.

Swims in the pond lots too.

Will take pics during week.

Comment

I agree to an extent-

Maybe I'm misreading your post, but are you suggested that top level rugby isn't full of drugs? Zero chance of that imo. What possible reason would they have to take the moral high ground over other sports.

As for what they'd be taking. Rugby, more so than other sports, is a blend of between cardio and power. So that probably makes the full PED menu an option.

Anabolics, ie steroids, prohormones, designer hormones,
                                                                                            Blood doping, EPO, RBC tampering
                                                                                            Stimulents, ephedrine, etc
                                                                                            Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                            Would agree with this. Didn't play rugby to a high level but was in Blackrock college in the late 90's and everyone was crazy about creatine. Was pretty sad to see guys on the senior 4th/5ths taking it thinking it'd give them enough of an edge to get to the cup team
                                                                                            They are delusional if they thought it would propel them tho the top of the game. But they were probably right to be taking it. It's a really solid supplement and takign it >>>> not taking it.

Comment

nsfl

footage of bomber getting show and then detonating in turkey just earlier
                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

nsfl

footage of bomber getting show and then detonating in turkey just earlier
                                                                                                https://twitter.com/olgun_ylmaz/stat...03222443016192
                                                                                                Good job who ever shot him. Looks like it went off in a fairly isolated part of the airport.
                                                                                                Shame they didn't take him out completely before he detonated, but maybe they did and it was a dead man's trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                  Good job who ever shot him. Looks like it went off in a fairly isolated part of the airport.
                                                                                                  Shame they didn't take him out completely before he detonated, but maybe they did and it was a dead man's trigger.
                                                                                                  looks like the cop got a look at the rig and legged it, dead mans trigger would seem likely

Comment

looks like the cop got a look at the rig and legged it, dead mans trigger would seem likely
                                                                                                    Tough decision for the cop tbf.
                                                                                                    If he plant one in his forehead, either it stops the bomb off, or goes before he can get away.
                                                                                                    But he if leaves him bleeding out, he a a little more time, to get away, but it's almost definitely going off.

I seen one of the other explosions and it looked slightly bigger than the above one.

Comment

[VINE]igZPViZEOuJ[/VINE]

Comment

[VINE]igZPViZEOuJ[/VINE]
                                                                                                        Brexit as seen through interpretive dance?
                                                                                                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

I've watched it 20 times and I'm still asking myself, what was he hoping would happen?
                                                                                                          I find myself asking that a lot with people in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                                            Brexit as seen through interpretive dance?
                                                                                                            Even Specsavers cannot help if you're a twit.

Comment

...
                                                                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I've watched it 20 times and I'm still asking myself, what was he hoping would happen?.
                                                                                                                A few million views?

Comment

Serious read on what next for the Brexiteers - https://ukconstitutionallaw.org/2016...pensable-role/
                                                                                                                  Lots of stuff open to interpretation in that but one thing that occurs to me is that either or both sides could write into the terms and conditions that there must be a referendum to accept the terms negotiated.
                                                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Lots of stuff open to interpretation in that but one thing that occurs to me is that either or both sides could write into the terms and conditions that there must be a referendum to accept the terms negotiated.
                                                                                                                    Stay and Leave are interest groups not actual parties thus have zero power to make this call. Also why it was pretty laughable that they were making promises on spending, policy and whatever else since they were in no ways in a position to inact any changes.

As far as I can see it needs to go through the house of commons - call a secret ballot on it and this whole thing goes away.

Shit storm for Labour will come when it is clear that the MP's voted against how their constituents voted. Interesting to see if they can turn it round before the next GE or if the people will remember and hand victory to the Torries - Few years away yet tho and generally people forget.

Perhaps nobody wants to be the one to call for it or there is a specific procedure for getting referendum results to law which takes time

Comment

The house of commons won't vote it down. They probably should, but no way they will.

Comment

Ignoring the referendum (Parliament or Commons voting it down) would be throwing petrol at the UKIP Fire.

I can't see it happening*. There's no real step back once you get over the cliff that the UK has gone past.

*Here are some ways it could happen - http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ere-a-way-back

Comment

UFC 202 shaping up nicely.

3 very decent fights added.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X