I don't have FB anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
      That was my worst vegetable not my fav!
      Originally posted by Mellor View Post
      what's your favorite vegetable.

Brava lets do a fangdango!
      There appears to be some confusion P&F, I'm a man.

Comment

There appears to be some confusion P&F, I'm a man.
        Bye man!

Comment

Bye man!
          Never say brava to an Italian operista, he'll be quite a offended and it exposes masquerade

Comment

Never say brava to an Italian operista, he'll be quite a offended and it exposes masquerade
            I used to sing Opera. True.

Comment

HA BEAT THAT!

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                I reckon I could find yours and his facebook in < 5 minutes of stalking so I might send you each others facebook profiles so you can say hi. I'll need both of your approval for this :P, or you could just go on a blind date guys. IPB Blind Date!

I think it would be a match made in heaven.
                Can you teach me how to stalk good?

Comment

HA BEAT THAT!
                  I survived a pick axe to the head.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                    I survived a pick axe to the head.
                    Jesus for real??? Sorry about that!

Ya beat me.

Comment

Can you teach me how to stalk good?
                      I sure can, what you want to know?
                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

I sure can, what you want to know?
                        You are now my FAV poster!

Erm .... how do I stop people I don't want to find me from finding me??

How do I frisk potential online suitors? And find suitors even when they are hiding??

Comment

You are now my FAV poster!

Erm .... how do I stop people I don't want to find me from finding me??

How do I frisk potential online suitors? And find suitors even when they hiding??
                          Do you ask this because you have recently deactivated your facebook to go into hiding yourself?

For a nominal fee I do background checks on people. That call me Sherlock Doug.
                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

We can chat again. I gotta go! Byee for now! Have a good day!

Comment

Do you ask this because you have recently deactivated your facebook to go into hiding yourself?

For a nominal fee I do background checks on people. That call me Sherlock Doug.
                              Well yeah it was getting weird. I may take you up on that. I don't have a bf ...but the next one I am having checked!!!

Comment

Sure thing, I have already done a background check on luckforsome though and he has passed with flying colours.
                                is in the air
                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

... he has passed with flying colours.
                                  is in the air

Comment

nope not a typo , maybe you misread
                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

nope not a typo , maybe you misread
                                        Yup I misread

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                          It's mad that such perceived wisdom was so wrong. Like that government advice was actively harming people by advocating low fat diets, pushing them to increase the carb portion of their diets.
                                          Haven't read the article, but familiar with the history. Despite widespread acceptance that it's wrong by anyone who done the slightest research, or capable of any sort of analytic/critical thinking. Official bodies are still wheeling out the same tired old advice, as recent as a year or two ago in Ireland. Even more worrying, is that doctors still are still lazily singing from that hymn sheet.

In the US, when USDA expert consultants made the first food pyramid, it had fruit and vegetables as the foundation. But USDA never published it as the grain industry flat out told them to change it. And they did.
                                          That was in the 90s. These are the people responsible for the health advice to millions, and sell out to the highest bidder.
                                          Last edited by Mellor; 19-04-16, 07:14.

Comment

Comment

Great boards.ie thread / controversy on the subject above courtesy of Ireland's food experts - SafeFood

Here's the competition thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=72815974

And here's the posts that they removed from the competition thread and split into its own - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056307124

4.5 years ago but I doubt anything's changed since!

This was class, bitchslap here.
                                              Last edited by Emmet; 19-04-16, 08:06.

Comment

Comment

That was the thread I was think about, can't believe it was 2011. Also can't believe 2011 was 5 years ago

Comment

Advice is still solid imo

Information and advice on healthy eating. Including recipes, food and diet, weight loss and life stages

Comment

Reading Zero to One at the moment. Seems rather excellent.

Theil was saying in the book that a question he asks interviewees is

"What important truth do very few people agree with you on?"

Bit of a stinker of a question!

Think my answer would be:

SPOILER
                                                      That America is posed for a golden era of much greater economic dominance.

The amount of locally spent overseas money that is going to be increasingly transferred from countries to the US is staggering. It would have been unbelievable even 10 years ago that we would today - if you got in a taxi in Dublin - that 10% or so of that would be shipped off to SanFran to Uber or Hailo. That 10% of your stay in a hotel anywhere in the world would be similarly shipped to hotels.com and colleagues. That people's houses in even the most remote villages would be monetised by AirBnB, once again for a 10% charge.

That the world would be most excited about American cars in the form of Teslas, and Apple would be massively winning the profit race against Asian phone companies. That local advertising would be made increasingly redundant as a big and increasing proportion of advertising would be switched online and 85% of all that ad spend (worldwide) would be swept up by just two American companies (Google and Facebook).

All that's just the tip of the iceberg, but the extent to which the rest of the world has lost the tech race is going to have phenomenal wealth implications for the US. They're moving towards extracting 10% of everything spent everywhere being sent to everywhere.

Now obviously they are already dominant in economics, but I think there's a perceived wisdom (even by US politicians) that this is fading away and because China now produces all the socks, toys, and steel in the world, that they are going to somehow parlay that into economic leadership in due course. Really don't think that's going to happen, due to this absolute tech dominance the US has established.
                                                      One of the reasons why most of my pension is us equities.

Comment

I really hope MrsFD realises that was a sarcastic post

Comment

Comment

Haven't read the article, but familiar with the history. Despite widespread acceptance that it's wrong by anyone who done the slightest research, or capable of any sort of analytic/critical thinking. Official bodies are still wheeling out the same tired old advice, as recent as a year or two ago in Ireland. Even more worrying, is that doctors still are still lazily singing from that hymn sheet.

In the US, when USDA expert consultants made the first food pyramid, it had fruit and vegetables as the foundation. But USDA never published it as the grain industry flat out told them to change it. And they did.
                                                            That was in the 90s. These are the people responsible for the health advice to millions, and sell out to the highest bidder.
                                                            Was handed food pyramid at recent baby fair.
                                                            Had to be dragged away by the missus before I made a scene
                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

This is class- fwd to 3.00 and watch from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVhjAXEyjMI

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

I wonder if this was made for a period when people simply didnt have much to eat.
                                                                Have a lump of bread cause you aren't getting any rashers.
                                                                Similarly, you have a small bit of land, better off growing spuds/rice to feed them rather than taking up room/resources feeding an animal?
                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Small amount of fat, fill up on carbs and orange juice

What could possibly go wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I wonder if this was made for a period when people simply didnt have much to eat.
                                                                    Similarly, you have a small bit of land, better off growing spuds/rice to feed them rather than taking up room/resources feeding an animal?
                                                                    AFAIR It was made by the wheat marketing board in the States sometime around the 50's

Comment

You could delete the bottom row and be decent I'd say.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I really hope MrsFD realises that was a sarcastic post
                                                                            I take it all you who hate food pyramids are palelol?

I don't totally agree with the structure but I do think there are aspects that are correct.

My own diet is a lowish carb diet. I DO eat wholemeal bread. I mostly eat proteins in various forms and soups.

I do try and have calcium in my day as I have seen first hand what the lack of it can do. I do have a treat each day. I rarely eat potato, rice or pasta.

I am happy enough with my diet. But dont agree in cutting out a food group altogether. I dont agree with a huge carb diet either. I like the balance in my own diet.

Comment

You could delete the bottom row and be decent I'd say.
                                                                              I take it you are NOT being sarcastic in this one? My diet would be like the pyramid without the bottom line. Edited to say I don't pick so many from each layer. I just eat what I want.

Comment

--pyramid--
                                                                                yes.
                                                                                And when portions were different.
                                                                                And when we understood even less than we do now about food.
                                                                                Oh yes, and prior to the obesity epidemic.

Imagine if that last line and the graph were in any way linkable.

Comment

lol it recommends about 40 g of protein a day. Did they even lift, bro?

Comment

Played Hotwire roulette for hotel stay in Vegas in July. Got Trump International. Chances of terror attack > Euros?
                                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

...
                                                                                      Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 19-04-16, 10:28.

Comment

You really like to stir the old conversation pot Hitch. Throw up a few topics that you know someone will bite on and keep stirring...
                                                                                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

...

Comment

Nothing wrong with spuds BTW,just because they ate on the shitty line of the food pyramid. Big lump of butter in a floury spud can't be beaten.
                                                                                            I pity people who can't have croissants and proper crusty French bread because of their dietary fundamentalism

Comment

Its not that at all, I promise! Its more the story of how fat became the vilain as opposed to sugar. Quite fascinating from a research perspective how groupthink took over with academics and shut out alternative perspectives.

Plus DP and emmet started the food pyramid thing
                                                                                              Same with all you academics really. Despite protestations from yourself and Zuutroy ye all just follow the money - the only question is do you admit it to yourself to maximise your personal return or do you do it implicitly and pretend to yourself that you have some academic justification.

Take your own example - you could be researching any element of behavioral economics in order to improve our understanding of the world, but in reality you stick tightly to subjects that you can leverage into hedge funds strategies in the hopes of a big pay-off.

Now that's some proper pot stirring for you.
                                                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

...

Comment

But generally speaking people weren't obese in those days that bread and other carbs were the primary source of food....

I blame immigrants
                                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

...

Comment

I have no interest in patenting anything, starting a company, innovating or in any way 'cashing in' from science. I just want to make some funky materials, put them in water, shine a light on them and see what happens. If I were to make some massive discovery I would probably just publish it in an open source journal to stick it to all of the fuckers who think it's all about fumbling in a greasy till (as long as the speaking circuit paid me a wage!)
                                                                                                      There are far easier ways of making a lot of money than in science. Actually, it's probably on of the worst things to go into if money is your end goal.
                                                                                                      The only reason we 'follow the money' is because doing research in high value areas gives you the opportunity to buy better equipment and the resources to take on more students and the likes.

Comment

Its sugar that is the carb culprit, seemingly. UK has actually seen a fall in average calories eaten per person over the last few decades, but a big rise in sugar, and obesity has gone through the roof. Hence their recent sugar tax, soon to be replicated in Ireland by the vibes of it.
                                                                                                        Isn't it more that Big Food (capitalised for extra evilness) is sneaking sugar into products that you wouldn't expect to have any?
                                                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                              Isn't it more that Big Food (capitalised for extra evilness) is sneaking sugar into products that you wouldn't expect to have any?
                                                                                                              It's all High Fructose Corn Syrup now. Real sugar is too expensive to be wasting on the likes of you!

Comment

If I've succeeded at nothing else, at least I've made the kids into decent food nazis. At the zoo the other day I was asking what they'd like the zookeepers to throw into the cage if they lived here...another kid said Kinder eggs and my 4 y.o. daughter turned around and said 'don't be silly, eating nothing but sugary things will make you sick...I'd get them to throw in what mammy and daddy cook for me at home'.
                                                                                                                Have her questioning what each component of dinner each night does in terms of growing muscles, giving energy, strengthening bones etc.
                                                                                                                I'm sure that'll all go out the window and she'll be drinking 2L of coke a day when she's a teenager.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                                  It's all High Fructose Corn Syrup now. Real sugar is too expensive to be wasting on the likes of you!
                                                                                                                  I think that mostly in the US because of the mad corn subsidies, no? Think we're still getting good ol' cane sugar in Europe.

Comment

The issue being that a high veg / unprocessed food diet is quite unaffordable for a lot of families. High carb / processed-with-sugar diet is much more affordable especially if you also factor in the relatively less time it takes to prepare processed food (not for everyone obv, but in general).
                                                                                                                    Cmon now. Aldi Super 6!

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                                      If I've succeeded at nothing else, at least I've made the kids into decent food nazis. At the zoo the other day I was asking what they'd like the zookeepers to throw into the cage if they lived here...another kid said Kinder eggs and my 4 y.o. daughter turned around and said 'don't be silly, eating nothing but sugary things will make you sick...I'd get them to throw in what mammy and daddy cook for me at home'.
                                                                                                                      Have her questioning what each component of dinner each night does in terms of growing muscles, giving energy, strengthening bones etc.
                                                                                                                      I'm sure that'll all go out the window and she'll be drinking 2L of coke a day when she's a teenager.
                                                                                                                      HAve a friend actually who has no concept of what's carbs/protein, every so often he'll ask me something like...what's in meat again?

Comment

Reading Zero to One at the moment. Seems rather excellent.

Theil was saying in the book that a question he asks interviewees is

"What important truth do very few people agree with you on?"

Bit of a stinker of a question!

Think my answer would be:

SPOILER
                                                                                                                        That America is posed for a golden era of much greater economic dominance.

The amount of locally spent overseas money that is going to be increasingly transferred from countries to the US is staggering. It would have been unbelievable even 10 years ago that we would today - if you got in a taxi in Dublin - that 10% or so of that would be shipped off to SanFran to Uber or Hailo. That 10% of your stay in a hotel anywhere in the world would be similarly shipped to hotels.com and colleagues. That people's houses in even the most remote villages would be monetised by AirBnB, once again for a 10% charge.

That the world would be most excited about American cars in the form of Teslas, and Apple would be massively winning the profit race against Asian phone companies. That local advertising would be made increasingly redundant as a big and increasing proportion of advertising would be switched online and 85% of all that ad spend (worldwide) would be swept up by just two American companies (Google and Facebook).

All that's just the tip of the iceberg, but the extent to which the rest of the world has lost the tech race is going to have phenomenal wealth implications for the US. They're moving towards extracting 10% of everything spent everywhere being sent to everywhere.

Now obviously they are already dominant in economics, but I think there's a perceived wisdom (even by US politicians) that this is fading away and because China now produces all the socks, toys, and steel in the world, that they are going to somehow parlay that into economic leadership in due course. Really don't think that's going to happen, due to this absolute tech dominance the US has established.
                                                                                                                        I think the thing that people mainly dont agree with me on is that saying no is a better default stance in your work life then saying yes.

If you are a yes person you end up running round doing everyones work whilst no people will need to see merit in what they are doing before they invest time and energy. This allows you to focus and over perform on the tasks you accept as your responsibility or worth the effort.

Obv you need much more yes people to balance out the no's and learn how to say no in a really nice positive way.

Obv in your home life yes is the much better default answer

Comment

I have a friend who says she has given up eating pork.

I watched her cook and eat a bacon sarnie. The mind boggles

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X