This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    A grand a month to cover bills, food, very occasional going out, and a drinking problem, isn't struggling?

Public sector is less takehome. But you're right, its not classical struggling. We did though have to downgrade from Nespresso to Lidl coffee cartridges, which seemed like struggling.

Clearly the wrong word, I suppose I meant that you wouldn't be as comfortable as leftwing politicians might think on that income in Dublin. It's 'getting by' at best.
    Its a lot more tax efficient to have a drinking problem in France too

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

It's not the 'rich' who pay too little tax - it's actually the low paid.
      So what?
      So, when you add all the tax paid (income related and VAT), the low paid will have paid much more (proportionately) than the rich - so to say they pay 'too little tax' maybe unfair.

Comment

Well I had quite a bit of other earnings too, so wasn't actually struggling, but its more this notion that someone on €75k is living the dream.

Have way more disposable income in France despite earning less and having another kid.
        Looks like we may be heading back that way in 18 months or so. London has pretty much ruined us, and the thought of free (or almost free) high quality education for the boys compared to what we are paying now, seems a no Brainer. Lots of other factors as well, but all financial unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Western_Sean View Post
          I'm voting from the bottom up in this election. I'd dearly like to vote for a party with a lower tax / smaller government approach but the option doesn't seem to be available. So for me it has become a matter of selecting the candidate I most don't want to be elected and following that approach through the remainder in order

It's the first election I can recall where I've felt my views are completely unaligned with any of the main political parties.
          Like this voting g from the bottom up idea,have a woeful selection to choose from. Going to assign huge negative weighting to parties\candidates who ignore the no junk mail sign on my letterbox, SF and FG only ones to ignore it so far

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
            Going to a Table Quiz in a bit m8s
            Awww. Dads first night out

Comment

Originally posted by Lplated View Post
              So, when you add all the tax paid (income related and VAT), the low paid will have paid much more (proportionately) than the rich - so to say they pay 'too little tax' maybe unfair.
              You can't compare tax on discretionary spending (food is zero rated generally so don't go there) with income tax. Apples and oranges.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                Its a lot more tax efficient to have a drinking problem in France too
                In France it's not a 'drinking problem', it's an 'expression of cultural identity'. If I get to meet up with HH next summer, we will certainly hope to have a night of expressing our cultural identity.

Comment

Assume tonights leaders debate is going to be an hour and a half of evasive nothings brought to you thanks to the communications clinic? Would make you long for some Trump. At least eamon Ryan won't be there

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                    @mdoug: Did you post the answer to the bridge Q?

Check out this beauty of a puzzle: GCHQ Christmas Puzzle

and the solution:
                    GCHQs-Christmas-card-puzzle---how-did-you-do.aspx

Going to give it a proper rattle next year
                    SPOILER
                    Sunglasses

We actually got that one, we didn't get 2 of the ones you got although I really liked #1 even though we didn't get it.
                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

I'm voting from the bottom up in this election. I'd dearly like to vote for a party with a lower tax / smaller government approach but the option doesn't seem to be available. So for me it has become a matter of selecting the candidate I most don't want to be elected and following that approach through the remainder in order

It's the first election I can recall where I've felt my views are completely unaligned with any of the main political parties.
                      The political landscape really hasn't changed since I was a teenager to any great extent bar the demise of the PDs who genuinely offered a fiscal conservative / socially liberal platform. What has changed since 2011? FG and Labour certainly haven't.

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                      I'm voting for Lucinda, and my preferred fg candidate is pro lower taxes.
                      Lucinda - can you really approve that religious control your life nonsense? It's nice your FG man likes lower taxes though. He'll have a front seat to the essential structure not being changed much!
                      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

You can't compare tax on discretionary spending (food is zero rated generally so don't go there) with income tax. Apples and oranges.
                        You're looking at it from the timeline of 'payday'. My point is that if instead you look at it from the timeline of 'the night before the next payday' - the amount of total tax paid by less well off will be disproportionately much higher than a cursory look at income tax suggests.

Following your line to its logical conclusion - take more from the lower paid at the income tax timepoint, then you'll have more applications for (and entitlement to) family income supplement, much less incentive to move from dole/social welfare reliance to work, thus needing more in taxation which (because you've already raised from the lower paid), will now have to come from middle incomes etc... etc...

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                          The political landscape really hasn't changed since I was a teenager to any great extent bar the demise of the PDs who genuinely offered a fiscal conservative / socially liberal platform. What has changed since 2011? FG and Labour certainly haven't.
                          There is some kernel of promise in the Social Democrats imo

Comment

Thoughts on Red Wine mixed with Coke ( cola obv)
                            I hate Red wine but a friend recommended mixing with coke, so rooting around a found a Red , saw ingredients on back and spot cherries , I love cherries so got cherry coke . Its fucking awesome . Kinda hoping to get 2 nights out of one bottle of red.

Her sky-ness
                            © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                              Anywhere similar to Bison, Pittbros and Aussie BBQ in the city center?

Looking to grab something quick, easy and filthy this evening.
                              Went with Jo burger, was nice, would eat again but not in a hurry.

Comment

You're looking at it from the timeline of 'payday'. My point is that if instead you look at it from the timeline of 'the night before the next payday' - the amount of total tax paid by less well off will be disproportionately much higher than a cursory look at income tax suggests.

Following your line to its logical conclusion - take more from the lower paid at the income tax timepoint, then you'll have more applications for (and entitlement to) family income supplement, much less incentive to move from dole/social welfare reliance to work, thus needing more in taxation which (because you've already raised from the lower paid), will now have to come from middle incomes etc... etc...
                                Oh you would have to reduce SW and greatly incentivise moving off SW obviously.

Comment

Yeah maybe. Not hard to see them making up the numbers in a FG / Lab led deal and having that promise extinguished
                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                    I hate Red wine but a friend recommended mixing with coke, so rooting around a found a Red , saw ingredients on back and spot cherries , I love cherries so got cherry coke . Its fucking awesome . Kinda hoping to get 2 nights out of one bottle of red.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...coke-toge.html
                                    When I run out of drink on 12 or more hour benders and there is only red wine left I will mix it with coke.

Comment

Oh you would have to reduce SW and greatly incentivise moving off SW obviously.
                                      Whatever chance you had of a political party making a 'right' move on tax, the chances of actually tackling the SW system are somewhere between slim and none.

Like someone commented on here lately, the thing I have against FG is they wasted a good crisis.

Comment

They're just Labour?

Comment

Whatever chance you had of a political party making a 'right' move on tax, the chances of actually tackling the SW system are somewhere between slim and none.

Like someone commented on here lately, the thing I have against FG is they wasted a good crisis.
                                          If you could take the middle class out of the SW net (child benefit being the main offender), you might get some momentum behind tackling the SW budget.

Likewise, take out the PS unions and Health, Education should be reformable.

An Irish Thatcher, that's what we need.

Comment

Chance I'll be able to stream the 'debate'?

Is it weird that I reckon it'll be more like a special episode of The Late Late than Prime Time?

Comment

Lol Sp and Hitch!!

Comment

Sadie just puked when Michael Martin came on the screen. She liked Enda and Joan. Yawned at Gerry Adams and then screamed at the tele
                                                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Huge win for Connacht just there against the Dragons - bonus point win to back to the top of the Pro 12 for now. Wasn't on TV so had to listen to the radio coverage on Galway Bay FM, was an amazingly tense finish!

Comment

This debate is head wrecking, shudder to think what it would be like with the 8 or 9 of them the greens want.

Comment

Jesus she's some bag.

Comment

Enda with his hand in the air is gas.

Comment

Sky Atlantic right now , VG

Her sky-ness
                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Michael Martin smashing it

Comment

Originally posted by NiceandcoolTrig View Post
                                                                Connacht a big price away to Dragons at 6-5 tonight, Dragons had a tough 80 mins in Belfast last weekend whereas Connacht had a week off. Dillane and Marmion released from Ireland camp are part of a very strong bench that should be able to make a big impact against a tiring team in the second half.
                                                                Great shout mate.

Comment

20% tax. 20-25 minute commute (flight) to Dublin. Living the dream.

Comment

Love Endas pronounciation of vehickels.

Comment

Fondly remember getting picked up in a garda car from my school along with my date a woman 21 years ago for my debs in a garda car.
                                                                      Pulled right in front of the school gates at lunch break.

Had told the girl i was bringing my father was picking us up early some shock when a blue and white Sierra rocked up.
                                                                      All these cut backs means extra curricular police activitys like this are probably no more.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...coke-toge.html
                                                                        Done that years ago with normal coke, tasted like a fruit punch. Goes down easy.

Comment

The presenter in blue has some rack on her.

Comment

Gerry got some hammering on law and order but they are all depressingly shite - and old.

Comment

So uninspiring

Comment

Gerry got some hammering on law and order but they are all depressingly shite - and old.
                                                                                Martin is 55 rest in there 60s

Comment

Yes, Pat. I'd hold her down until the cops came.

Comment

Martin>>Bruton>Kenny=Adams so far Imo.

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                                                                                      Enda doing better than I thought he would. Bar looking like a kid who is trying to ask to go to the toilet.
                                                                                      Last edited by elbows; 11-02-16, 22:19.
                                                                                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

When it zooms out it looks as though they're just using the Weakest Link's studio.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                          I felt FG offered a reasonable alternative last time. I think they wasted the crisis by failing to address the public service overhead. As a tax payer I don't see that they have the objective of creating value for tax payers which I expected that they would deliver last term.

As such while I felt had an alternative voting option last time I'm not happy with either the performance of the incumbents or the opposition this time around.
                                                                                          Last edited by Western_Sean; 11-02-16, 22:24.

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                                                                                            Burton might be right on lots of things but her delivery is atrocious.

Comment

Never mind these clowns on the telly, I just heard that the Olsen twins turn 30 this summer.

Comment

Burton might be right on lots of things but her delivery is atrocious.
                                                                                                She's got that nagging ould wan monotone drone that does my head in.

Has Enda been getting major meeeja training over the last few years? Communication clinic or some of those crowd?

Comment

I'm almost embarrassed to be Irish after watching that.

If we could remove Gerry Adam's history with the IRA and murder from people's minds then he would be leading SF into the government I think. He certainly did very well in that debate.

Micheal Martin did well too.

Enda Kenny didn't do as bad as I expected but was still poor.

Joan Burton did a great job at lowering the already tiny Labour vote imo. She was a disaster and I'd imagine she put people right off voting Labour.
                                                                                                  'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                                                                    She's got that nagging ould wan monotone drone that does my head in.

Has Enda been getting major meeeja training over the last few years? Communication clinic or some of those crowd?
                                                                                                    All four of them are terrible. If my local Renua candidate wasn't that screaming freak Terence Flanagan, I'd vote for them on the grounds that they have a young-ish leader and some actual policies.

Comment

I felt FG offered a reasonable alternative last time. I think they wasted the crisis by failing to address the public service overhead. As a tax payer I don't see that they have the objective of creating value for tax payers which I expected that they would deliver last term.

As such while I felt had an alternative voting option last time I'm not happy with either the performance of the incumbents or the opposition this time around.
                                                                                                      This exactly. They had such an opportunity for drastic reform that could all be blamed on FF and they blew it. I

Comment

These lads always have the toppest of videos, definitely must make it a mission to go see them live sometime

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                                                                                        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                          This exactly. They had such an opportunity for drastic reform that could all be blamed on FF and they blew it. I
                                                                                                          The problem with this though is that if they did this, given the bloated nature of it and the loud voices of the unions they would be facing a similar electoral meltdown to FF last time out, despite the fact it would have unequivocally have been for the proper good of the country. Politics is sadly only about 1 thing, and that is to make sure you can get re-elected the next time there is an election, and all policies ultimately are driven by the goal of not upsetting too many people at a time.

Comment

Fecking debate isn't up on TV3 yet.

Comment

Tiocfaidh ár lá m8s

Comment

Biggest shock for me in the debate was that anyone was expecting anything different.

Reelection>the party>the local constituency>the nation.

in fairness to Martin I met him a few times in smyths off baggot st and he is quite sound and even got a round in for a few of us once. Enda the bollix spilt my pint in the gingerman one night and didn't get me another or apologise.

Unfortunately I can't vote for bar etiquette, debating skills or any other such flashy stuff. Just have to decide which party I think has the least number of people who would fail in the real world - fg still topping that list for me.

Comment

Fucken drunk mods shirkin their duties amirite?
                                                                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                                    Fucken drunk mods shirkin their duties amirite?
                                                                                                                    Hotspur was lynched.

He was an...

SPOILER
                                                                                                                    Army man

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                      Hotspur was lynched.

He was an...

SPOILER
                                                                                                                      Army man
                                                                                                                      FFs now I have lots of info. WTf am I gonna do wit hthat?
                                                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

And questions from the quiz chadders? entertain us
                                                                                                                        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Have no idea how people live in Dublin on the supposed average household income of about €45k.

Had a basic income of €75k there and take home after pension, pension levy, VHI, etc was €3,600. (Presume its a fair whack more takehome in private sector). €1,100 of which went to creche, €1,400 on renting a basic apartment, leaving a grand for the month. Had other earnings too so it wasn't too bad, but if you're struggling on €75k, I can't see how €100k is easy streets fatcatland.
                                                                                                                          Is the €45k average dublin salary is ex-pension, or inclusive. Pension is part of your €75k salary package. But the package is made up of basic+pension(+whatever else you've got in there ). I'd assume salary stats are quoting basic only.
                                                                                                                          So, $3,600 a month take home is maybe $65k gross (based on RD3 numbers above). So 20k ahead of the "average-dublin-person" (let's call him John), that you can't believe survives. Of course only 60% of that is reaching your pocket, so that's now €12k (€1k/m)

However, because single income John isn't paying for a bleeding creche, he has an extra €1,100 each month. Average John is probably paying average rent too. Which means he can save maybe €400/m on the €1,400 you are hemorrhaging each month.
                                                                                                                          All up with an extra €500 in his pocket, John isn't doing too bad.

Tl;Dr
                                                                                                                          John makes more money that Hitch

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X