This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Following up yesterdays 2k words on the philosophy of finance for a book chapter, with 1k words this morning on the sociology of firm financial decision making. fck me, i've chosen an awful path in life.
    Philosophy. Sociology. Could be worse I guess, you could have become an economist.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
      homeserver. The geeks on reddit told me ECC only.
      Are you building a big NAS or virtualising? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
        Are you building a big NAS or virtualising? Just curious.
        both - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2057539235

Comment

When i open google it thinks im in Belgium & now Stars wont let me register for the UKIPT as it says real money games not allowed in you area (presume it thinks im in belgium too?

How do i fix this or whats going on?

Edit - happening on all devices in the house so must be the wifi (Virgin/UPC)??
          Last edited by Dice75; 10-02-16, 15:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
            When i open google it thinks im in Belgium & now Stars wont let me register for the UKIPT as it says real money games not allowed in you area (presume it thinks im in belgium too?

move to belgium. sorted

Comment

Look out the window ? Are you feeling very bored ? If YES you are in fact in Belgium .
              Last edited by Solskjaer; 10-02-16, 15:01. Reason: bored

Comment

homeserver. The geeks on reddit told me ECC only.
                Check crucial. You should only need ecc if you are using a XEON processor
                May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                  Check crucial. You should only need ecc if you are using a XEON processor
                  Tis a XEON - a E3-v1226

This is her - http://www.serversplus.com/servers/t...ers/70a50022uk

Comment

who are you getting your internet from?

and I'm asking this knowing the answer will be "how would I do that?": have you changed your DNS settings recently to access foreign netflix?
                    Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Tis a XEON - a E3-v1226

This is her - http://www.serversplus.com/servers/t...ers/70a50022uk
                      Are you building a DIY raid5 box?

It might be a lot easier and cheaper to just buy a QNAP box off the shelf.
                      May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                        who are you getting your internet from?

and I'm asking this knowing the answer will be "how would I do that?": have you changed your DNS settings recently to access foreign netflix?
                        Virgin. Havent done anything different/ new at all.

Lots of wierd things happening. Could it be hacked. Use business bank accounts etc so cant afford to be.

Hapoeni g on all devices in house including hers

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                          Are you building a DIY raid5 box?

It might be a lot easier and cheaper to just buy a QNAP box off the shelf.
                          Having a tinker with having a NAS and a Virtualisation server in the one machine

Very decent chance I'm looking for a camel for the price of a donkey, and so would be fine with people telling me so immediately if the case!

Probably going to run ESXI from a usb key, work/design VMs on the SSD, pass through the plate drive(s) to a small footprint linux VM (or xpenology etc) to handle all the file serving.

Lots to learn to get it up and running, but hopefully reducing my entire household computing to a single box, a chromebook, and a couple of MK808b+s on the tvs.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                            what browser? Firefox is a notorious memory hog
                            How many toolbars?
                            Sounds like a simple enough fix
                            Chrome. I have nothing running only adblock.

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                            She should download pccleaner
                            You should download pccleaner. It's my own laptop that I'm using. It's fine using UPC in my own place. I forgot how head wrecking it is waiting 40 seconds for every page to open.

Comment

Virgin. Havent done anything different/ new at all.

Lots of wierd things happening. Could it be hacked. Use business bank accounts etc so cant afford to be.

Hapoeni g on all devices in house including hers
                              This happened to me before on my UPC router. when I was doing a speedtest it was telling me I was somewhere else. Have you restarted your router?

Comment

Brittas bay this morning. Where did that day come from ?

Comment

Time to just accept Trump is the GOAT.

Comment

Was just thinking today that perhaps Scott Adams is right and Trump is an absolute genius.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                      Was just thinking today that perhaps Scott Adams is right and Trump is an absolute genius.
                                      Changing the face of future political campaigns imo. Game has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                        This happened to me before on my UPC router. when I was doing a speedtest it was telling me I was somewhere else. Have you restarted your router?
                                        If the router is the black box unpluggd it and tried again but no joy

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
                                          In the same way the fucking Ice Bucket Challenge changed charities.

Comment

Can you do a speedtest and see where it says you are?

Comment

Here it says my server is in Dublin - where does yours say it is?

Comment

Having a tinker with having a NAS and a Virtualisation server in the one machine

Very decent chance I'm looking for a camel for the price of a donkey, and so would be fine with people telling me so immediately if the case!

Probably going to run ESXI from a usb key, work/design VMs on the SSD, pass through the plate drive(s) to a small footprint linux VM (or xpenology etc) to handle all the file serving.

Lots to learn to get it up and running, but hopefully reducing my entire household computing to a single box, a chromebook, and a couple of MK808b+s on the tvs.
                                                Best of luck with it. Whatever happens make sure you have a backup of VMs so that they can be easily be spun up on another ESXi host in the event of hardware failure. I recommend VEEAM for taking replicas in this case but you should also look at a file level backup too. No harm investing in a decent UPS for your server too.

Build it, break it, built it better and learn. You'll be surprised how much info gets sponged up in a short period of time.

Comment

Be a fool to not think he is smart. it's not too long ago he was a democrat.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Google "what's my ip address"
                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                                                        Chrome. I have nothing running only adblock.

You should download pccleaner. It's my own laptop that I'm using. It's fine using UPC in my own place. I forgot how head wrecking it is waiting 40 seconds for every page to open.
                                                        That ain't right. Call the ISP.
                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                          Google "what's my ip address"
                                                          It says im in the RDS

Comment

Just e-mailed Vintage Kitchen and asked them for a table for two on a Saturday night, nothing too specific, whatever they have free over the next few weeks or so

Just got the reply letting me know, next Saturday night sitting at 8/9pm is Nov 5th Sweet jesus...

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                              Can you do a speedtest and see where it says you are?
                                                              I'll try that later when im home so

Comment

Servers and houses dont mix too well, petite and quiet arent usually design considerations.
                                                                I had a dell R510 in house for hosting VMs myself outside of work. Ended up moving it to garage the fans and heat were too much. Sold it then to someone starting out in SysAdmin. I have a HP proliant microserver now which sits under TV and serves files happily but its not in the same league power wise. What about a gaming HTPC as the hardware and run ESXI on that, you would be getting something more designed for purpose size and power wise.
                                                                Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                  Just e-mailed Vintage Kitchen and asked them for a table for two on a Saturday night, nothing too specific, whatever they have free over the next few weeks or so

Just got the reply letting me know, next Saturday night sitting at 8/9pm is Nov 5th Sweet jesus...
                                                                  The night we were there I asked to book the next available table for two, and it was last night. Still excellent! Dunno how that guy maintains that level of service every night.

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                    Servers and houses dont mix too well, petite and quiet arent usually design considerations.
                                                                    I had a dell R510 in house for hosting VMs myself outside of work. Ended up moving it to garage the fans and heat were too much. Sold it then to someone starting out in SysAdmin. I have a HP proliant microserver now which sits under TV and serves files happily but its not in the same league power wise. What about a gaming HTPC as the hardware and run ESXI on that, you would be getting something more designed for purpose size and power wise.
                                                                    Have done a fair bit of research on it, TS140 is both low power usage on idle, and extremely quiet.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Michael Kindall from Lenovo demos the new TS140 ThinkServer at the 2013 Intel Developer Forum. What makes the TS140 ThinkServer unique is its ability to run ...

I wanted one of the Proliants, but it was 3x the price, and not going to have a quad-core processor.

Seems to be pretty much exactly the box I'm after (should know tomorrow when it's delivered though!).
                                                                    Last edited by Emmet; 10-02-16, 16:47.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                      Scary thing is Trump has done this with very little investment:

NH Combined campaign/SuperPAC spending
                                                                      $36M Bush
                                                                      $18.5M Christie
                                                                      $15.2M Rubio
                                                                      $12.1M Kasich
                                                                      $3.7M Trump
                                                                      $1.8M Fiorina
                                                                      $580K Cruz
                                                                      I for one, welcome our Trump overlord.

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                      In such a relativity small pool, aren't averages basically meaningless???

For tax reasons a lot of the tech European bases top earners will be "based" in Ireland and pull the averages well out of whack!?

If not, maybe I should have joined microsoft when I'd the chance
                                                                      How does one go about getting these 200k sales jobs/other jobs.
                                                                      Currently feel I have set myself on the path to a job I dislike that will pay terribly.

(Y)

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                      Just can't see Rubio getting the nomination now. As a young(-er) candidate you need to be perfect at every turn. Compare him to Obama eight years ago who was attracting giant crowds all around the world with his speeches, was able to brilliantly innovate on the ground to get out the maximum vote, and was incredibly well-informed in everything he said. Rubio seems like a kid in comparison. It's hard though to see a decent moderate rival to him that has a chance. My guess is Trump will start moving a lot more towards the moderate side of the party (he's historically Democrat anyway) now he has got rid of most freaks in the race and mop up all those centrist votes while retaining the TrumpVotes. Christie to drop out and declare for Kasich (who looks unerringly like Gil the Salesman from the Simpsons) presumably to put him in the lead as the no-hoper moderate rival to Trump.

John Kasich:

Gil Gunderson:

He's good m8s with Trump apparently.
                                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Surely there are low sound ones, my PC case if soundproofed for example.

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

The night we were there I asked to book the next available table for two, and it was last night. Still excellent! Dunno how that guy maintains that level of service every night.
                                                                            is it really that good?
                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
                                                                              If he is to get even just the nomination it is the end of democracy as we knew it.
                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Book next January's outing soon so.
                                                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                  is it really that good?
                                                                                  It's got better but it's not that good. I got a reservation at CH1 for next Thursday yesterday with no hassle and it's the gold standard imo so I can only assume the BYOW formula is a massive crowd-pleaser.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                    If he is to get even just the nomination it is the end of democracy as we knew it.
                                                                                    Ah heyor.

Berlusconi.

Comment

Ah shtahp. It's only the death of Neocons. They've left a vacuum and it will be filled. Here's a good blog from a centre-right American about what's happening:

The results of the New Hampshire primary are in, and the big winner is the new populism: that mysterious pro-“outsider” phenomenon that has the political - Justin Raimondo for Antiwar.com

Comment

People who don't want to see Trump slinging abuse at Hillary for a few months have no capacity for feeling joy. It'll be great craic

Comment

What is democracy as we know it. The shite thry go on about in civics textbooks?

Comment

Trump v A previous Presidents mot is the kind of thing you see in shitty comedies made in the 80s

Comment

X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                Ah heyor.

Berlusconi.
                                                                                                Trump has already gone on the record saying that he will say anything that will get him elected. To actually say that and for no one at all to appear to care is new and IMO very worrying.

But of course as PSV says its going to be hysterical to watch.

On Rubio, I was looking and its almost impossible to find any coverage of anything else that happened in the debate last week... every piece of comment is only about the highlights reel of Rubuio's mess up.

Well played Amazon for getting Rubio to play himself on Alpha House two years ago

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Christmas View Post
                                                                                                  Raise.

Comment

When I died in ww I was sad because I never even got online to put up some sort of a fight. Looking at it now with almost 1,700 posts, happy fucking days.
                                                                                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                        What is democracy as we know it. The shite thry go on about in civics textbooks?
                                                                                                        As we know it: Bertie, Charlie.

Comment

The more I look at Stephen Donnelly posters the more I see an opportunity for a big humpty dumpty poster. Might make that my project for the weekend.

Comment

Finally someone calling out Dublin for financial doping. Looking forward to an asterisk beside their recent AI wins in the record books
                                                                                                            It’s the most shocking case of doping in Irish sport post-millennium. But there are no online chemists or suspicious parcels from far flung lands, no needles in the shadows or hushed and heavy words

Comment

Anyone know how to check which constituency you are in? Used to be in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown, but have received Fine Gael leaflets for both Dublin South West and Dublin Rathdown. The maps on http://www.constituency-commission.ie/report.htm are too low a resolution to make me any the wiser
                                                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                                                Anyone know how to check which constituency you are in? Used to be in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown, but have received Fine Gael leaflets for both Dublin South West and Dublin Rathdown. The maps on http://www.constituency-commission.ie/report.htm are too low a resolution to make me any the wiser
                                                                                                                does www.checktheregister.ie not tell you where you vote?

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                                                  One of those vote selector websites posted yesterday let you put your street name in and they gave you your constituency.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                                    does www.checktheregister.ie not tell you where you vote?
                                                                                                                    Yeah it tells you where the voting station is, but not the constituency.
                                                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                                                                                                      Egg yolk in fried egg is better than the yolk in a poached egg but the egg white in a poached egg is far superior to the fried egg white. With the ability to geneticly modify foods I'm hoping this will be soon rectified to create the super egg.
                                                                                                                      Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                                                                      Post of the day.
                                                                                                                      Eclipsed by Benny imo

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                                                      O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                                                                                                      Don't agree with your egg yolk theory. The yolk from a perfectly cooked poached egg is a thing of beauty as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                                                                                                                        You can't beat an egg
                                                                                                                        I take it you haven't tried to beat a cadbury cream one

Comment

I seen someone post recently about microwaved poached eggs. They said a perfect easy way is a mug with boiling water in it. Crack egg into it and out in microwave for a minute. If you like the yolk a bit harder stick in for another 10 seconds.

Planning to try it myself, shall report back. LOVE a good poached egg. not sure if I prefer the yolk of a fried egg or poached better though.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X