Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jesus people like to make straight forward questions deep problems. Stuck on an email chain of about 60 mails about the location of a meeting that has now spiraled into very obscure hypothetical questions about the chances of getting more candidates through the process by Tuesday.

All I want to know is do they want to meet in Edinburgh or Dublin and they have discussed literally every other thing to do with the project and the process.

Not sure if they are taking the piss out of me but since its 2 directors I am pretty sure they have better things to do

Comment

Any tips on how to approach an assessment day for a graduate scheme for an Insurance broker?

Mainly one of the tasks that I will have to do is:

Deliver a 3 minute presentation on ‘Why do you want to work at XX?’ Your presentation IS NOT a PowerPoint presentation and you will not have access to a projector however you may use cue cards, handouts, props etc. You can be as creative as you like!

Basically, does anyone have any ideas on how to be a bit creative without going too far?

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
        Jesus people like to make straight forward questions deep problems. Stuck on an email chain of about 60 mails about the location of a meeting that has now spiraled into very obscure hypothetical questions about the chances of getting more candidates through the process by Tuesday.

All I want to know is do they want to meet in Edinburgh or Dublin and they have discussed literally every other thing to do with the project and the process.

Not sure if they are taking the piss out of me but since its 2 directors I am pretty sure they have better things to do
        Reply all with this link:

"I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by shano_88 View Post
            Any tips on how to approach an assessment day for a graduate scheme for an Insurance broker?

Deliver a 3 minute presentation on ‘Why do you want to work at XX?’ Your presentation IS NOT a PowerPoint presentation and you will not have access to a projector however you may use cue cards, handouts, props etc. You can be as creative as you like!

Basically, does anyone have any ideas on how to be a bit creative without going too far?
            Yes confidence and product knowledge is the key, a free flowing pitch. That's it, your welcome
            Her sky-ness
            © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by shano_88 View Post

Deliver a 3 minute presentation on ‘Why do you want to work at XX?’ ...

rework the lyrics of the fresh prince into your presenation
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                Brother got a big promotion today on the day his wife got her first job. Meaning he started today as a struggling household on 50k and ended the day on 100k. Jaysus. Hard to top that for a day's work.
                Jesus, how expensive is a pint of milk in Ireland these days?

Comment

Brother got a big promotion today on the day his wife got her first job. Meaning he started today as a struggling household on 50k and ended the day on 100k. Jaysus. Hard to top that for a day's work.
                  Thats awesome! Sense of relief for the dude must be insane.

Speaking of work, hearing some rumours that a very key player in my place is leaving. The Keyest of Key players imo. Should be interesting if true.

Lots of good people leaving, and leadership seem rudderless about it. Interesting times ahead given we just signed a client to a white label deal that adds ~20% to our revenue. This person would have been instrumental in ensuring the implementation went smoothly.

Politics, always interesting.
                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                    Various people saying this is staged. Still funny but probably not real.
                    Bring him back down to earth by telling him how much more tax he'll now be paying.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

Comment

Well that's the thing, as majority of new income is his wife, the tax is rather fine. It's single income families that are screwed.
                          If his wife wasn't working before then creche probably wouldn't have been a factor surely?

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                            Thats awesome! Sense of relief for the dude must be insane.

Speaking of work, hearing some rumours that a very key player in my place is leaving. The Keyest of Key players imo.
                            Should be interesting if true.

Lots of good people leaving, and leadership seem rudderless about it. Interesting times ahead given we just signed a client to a white label deal that adds ~20% to our revenue. This person would have been instrumental in ensuring the implementation went smoothly.

Politics, always interesting.
                            Not Barb?

Comment

Comment

Well that's the thing, as majority of new income is his wife, the tax is rather fine. It's single income families that are screwed.
                                Yeah 2 * 50k is probably the sweet spot (government jobs, living 'down the country'). The proverbial garda and nurse couple, with probably another 20\30k there in allowances etc.

In most country towns, the local teacher is well up there in terms of spending power whereas in Dublin they're nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                  Jesus, how expensive is a pint of milk in Ireland these days?
                                  50k in a single income household in Dublin won't go too far in fairness. It's 40k net. Throw in rent at 1500pm for a family and bills at 300pm. Mobile, electricity and broadband etc. Throw in health insurance at 2k pa and a few other bits like travel expenses etc. I'm ignoring owning a car and keeping it on the road.

Standard expenses leaves 15k pa or less which isn't much to feed and clothe a family. Your definitely not living it up IMO.
                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Was debating 'employing' the wife for this reason.
                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                      Yeah 2 * 50k is probably the sweet spot (government jobs, living 'down the country'). The proverbial garda and nurse couple, with probably another 20\30k there in allowances etc.

In most country towns, the local teacher is well up there in terms of spending power whereas in Dublin they're nobody.
                                      That's why it's such bullshit that there is one salary rate in the PS irrespective of location.
                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Saving €2k a month on Creche looking after the two while working from home. First full year doing it so will be interesting to see how much income drops from last year.....

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                Not Barb?
                                                Lol I keep forgetting the reach that has gotten. No, not Barb, she is still around, and Im still scaring the shite out of her every Friday.
                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                  50k in a single income household in Dublin won't go too far in fairness. It's 40k net. Throw in rent at 1500pm for a family and bills at 300pm. Mobile, electricity and broadband etc. Throw in health insurance at 2k pa and a few other bits like travel expenses etc. I'm ignoring owning a car and keeping it on the road.

Standard expenses leaves 15k pa or less which isn't much to feed and clothe a family. Your definitely not living it up IMO.
                                                  50k is 40 net?? Surely it's less than that? Or would having a kid get you that much tax back

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                    50k is 40 net?? Surely it's less than that? Or would having a kid get you that much tax back
                                                    Yeah it is. You'd get some of the spouses income allowance which would reduce the income tax bill. Just google the PwC tax calculator and stick in the numbers. A single person would pay more. Having a kid isn't a big tax benefit.

Comment

Also legion had had pretty strong first couple of eps

Comment

If you throw in the kid, it gets worse.

50K works out at about 3400 a month after tax if I'm not mistaken

Creche 1k
                                                        Mortgage 1k
                                                        Utilities 300
                                                        Food 265
                                                        Health Insurance 165
                                                        Running a car 200

Leaves you with 470 a month or 117.50 a week for clothes, any luxuries such as going out for a pint/bite to eat, toys/entertainment for the kid or trying to put a few quid aside for a holiday at some point in the year.

While it is doable, it wouldn't be much of a life imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Creche 1k
                                                          Mortgage 1k
                                                          Utilities 300
                                                          Food 265
                                                          Health Insurance 165
                                                          Running a car 200

Leaves you with 470 a month or 117.50 a week for clothes, any luxuries such as going out for a pint/bite to eat, toys/entertainment for the kid or trying to put a few quid aside for a holiday at some point in the year.

TBH I don't know how people do it. Also how did this family buy a house with a mortgage of only 1k a month? Running a car and a few other bits just can't be in there.

Comment

She was studying. As her Columbian credentials meant nothing here.

Also how would I randomly say the kid went to crèche costing a grand a month otherwise?!
                                                            The education thing did occur to me, but finishing study in February isn't usual surely which would have implied some time of neither work nor study?

Comment

Creche 1k
                                                              Mortgage 1k
                                                              Utilities 300
                                                              Food 265
                                                              Health Insurance 165
                                                              Running a car 200

No way 50k is 3400 a month after tax surely? I would have thought more like 2800, for a single person anyhow. The last salaried job I was in was 10k more and I wasn't getting 3400 a month.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                No way 50k is 3400 a month after tax surely? I would have thought more like 2800, for a single person anyhow. The last salaried job I was in was 10k more and I wasn't getting 3400 a month.
                                                                Just use this website.

Comment

For a married couple with one income, it should be close to 3400 a month. Single person would be getting around 400 less a month

Comment

Crashing (new HBO comedy) is well worth giving 30 mins of your time to to see if you'll like it.
                                                                    Same actor from Fleabag, which is very very excellently good.
                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

This is my household.

My wife took redundancy from a 70k job in Dec 2015 to be a stay at home mother. She got a really good package that may not have been available again. When we added up savings on creche fees for two kids, the drop in mortgage payment (we lumped 90% of the package off the principal)and various other savings it made tons of sense.

Not to mention the positivity of rearing your children yourself rather than not seeing them for 50 hours a week.

Things are relatively tight alright, definitely more so than before, but you learn to be frugal. It's not a struggle by any stretch.
                                                                      We're very happy all things considered. I think last year would've been a lot tougher for my wife if she had to go back to the bank after what happened, spending all that time with our daughter was excellent therapy.

One great thing about being poor is not having to worry about the queues for Dublin brunch
                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Just had a new experience: first ever Pilates class (all part of the 'fix my fucking back' project).

Jaysis, 'twould be a fine auld place to meet women. If you were into that sort of craic.

Comment

If I had a choice of earning less overall as a couple but having the option of not working and staying at home minding the kids (when they hopefully come along eventually) I'd jump at the chance.

Not too sure she'd be fully onboard with going back to work while I stay at home though 😎

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                  This is my household.

My wife took redundancy from a 70k job in Dec 2015 to be a stay at home mother. She got a really good package that may not have been available again. When we added up savings on creche fees for two kids, the drop in mortgage payment (we lumped 90% of the package off the principal)and various other savings it made tons of sense.

Not to mention the positivity of rearing your children yourself rather than not seeing them for 50 hours a week.

Things are relatively tight alright, definitely more so than before, but you learn to be frugal. It's not a struggle by any stretch.
                                                                                  We're very happy all things considered. I think last year would've been a lot tougher for my wife if she had to go back to the bank after what happened, spending all that time with our daughter was excellent therapy.

One great thing about being poor is not having to worry about the queues for Dublin brunch
                                                                                  Fair play Lazare. The big win is that you did have the high combined income to get the mortgage approved back in the day and the Mrs got a nice lump sum to ease the mortgage stress. Having a kid to rear certainly reduces the time for spending money on shite too!

Comment

I was on 3600 take-home a month from 75k when working in Dublin. But think thats because the public sector pension+pension levy were a bollix of an amount (~13%?), and health insurance was deducted at source. Tax has fallen quite a bit since though.
                                                                                    No it hasn't. For mid-to-high earners, the easing of the tax burden has been very gradual indeed. Try out V's tax calculator for various years to prove it.

Comment

If I had a choice of earning less overall as a couple but having the option of not working and staying at home minding the kids (when they hopefully come along eventually) I'd jump at the chance.

Not too sure she'd be fully onboard with going back to work while I stay at home though 😎
                                                                                      Depends on the kids.

Mine are feral, take them for a month there wouldya.

Comment

I was on 3600 take-home a month from 75k when working in Dublin. But think thats because the public sector pension+pension levy were a bollix of an amount (~13%?), and health insurance was deducted at source. Tax has fallen quite a bit since though.
                                                                                        To my way of thinking you weren't on 75k. You were on 75k less the pension levy (aka a pay cut). Taxes haven't come down very much but there's been a few bits on the margins. Inflation running so low helps in general but Dublin is certainly experiencing inflation

Comment

So anyway Pilates.

Aced all the strength stuff, planking away with enthusiasm while the ladies collapsed around me. Was duly utterly humilated on the flexibility side of the house though. Will return.

Comment

My friends sister works in dublin and coming out of work today was on phone and a lad on a bicycle passed and slapped her in face, took phone while also ripping earring from her ear in the process, we were just having our nightly chat in our group and it came up
                                                                                            I really am fucking blonde like

Her sky-ness
                                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Depends on the kids.

Mine are feral, take them for a month there wouldya.
                                                                                              I'd love my own kids unconditionally.

Other people need to stump up the cash for me to love their kids. I would offer the best Daddy Day Care centre ever though so it would be money well spent.

Comment

I'd love my own kids unconditionally.

Other people need to stump up the cash for me to love their kids. I would offer the best Daddy Day Care centre ever though so it would be money well spent.
                                                                                                Surely a free trial period is in order to entice in big-spending punters such as myself.

Two weeks, full board, gratis. Then you get the big contract. You can home school them too if you like.

Comment

Surely a free trial period is in order to entice in big-spending punters such as myself.

Two weeks, full board, gratis. Then you get the big contract. You can home school them too if you like.
                                                                                                  You're far too generous...

Comment

My one and only was 18 last week, was funny, handed him a suitcase and told him, right ! time to move out.

He honestly didn't know if i was serious or not.
                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                      My one and only was 18 last week, was funny, handed him a suitcase and told him, right ! time to move out.

Reminds me of an incident when I was a young teenager and got in a right strop and came out with 'Can't wait until I'm 18 and can move out of this shit house'

To which, my Da's reply was, 'You can move out when you're 18 but I can kick you out when you're 16' - He didn't even bat an eye, the fecker 😁

Shut me up fairly quickly 😶

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

and the funny thing is , nowadays they really are babies at 18 still aint they compared to yrs ago.
                                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                          and the funny thing is , nowadays they really are babies at 18 still aint they compared to yrs ago.
                                                                                                          Compared to my oul lad at 29, Im still a baby. Undoubtedly.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                            Compared to my oul lad at 29, Im still a baby. Undoubtedly.
                                                                                                            well we wont get into my age , but like in all fairness I am worse than a fucking teenager

My mother fucked off to the UK aged 16 on the boat looking for work as she was the eldest of 12 , can you imagine letting off your 16 yr old now like that , no mobiles , no way of commnicating its nuts!
                                                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

...
                                                                                                              Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 22-02-17, 22:03.

Comment

For the sake of it, using V's pwc calculator.

€50,000 Salary
                                                                                                                Single person: €3,022/mth
                                                                                                                Married, Single Income: €3,310/mth +288
                                                                                                                Married, Dual Income: €3,657/mth (median) +635
                                                                                                                Single Parent: €3,227 +205

Comment

Just had a new experience: first ever Pilates class (all part of the 'fix my fucking back' project).

Jaysis, 'twould be a fine auld place to meet women. If you were into that sort of craic.
                                                                                                                  Keep at it. I've been doing them around 8 months now. Makes a massive difference.

Although at 16 stone I notice I sweat a lot more than the normal sized folk. It's gotten to the stage where the pilates instructor kindly asks in her hot latin accent before each class, "Darren, would you like me to open the window before we begin?"

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                                    well we wont get into my age , but like in all fairness I am worse than a fucking teenager

My mother fucked off to the UK aged 16 on the boat looking for work as she was the eldest of 12 , can you imagine letting off your 16 yr old now like that , no mobiles , no way of commnicating its nuts!
                                                                                                                    I did the same a month after my 18th, never forget it, the night we got knocked out of the WC by Italy (fuck Schillaci). Had a massive row with my dad and fucked off that night with barely a change of clothes and about 120 quid, got the ferry the next morning, ended up in Birmingham/Coventry area and stayed for a year or so.

Comment

Just check my Betfair to see it a horse I back in bed last night won and I noticed I was paid out on a US election bet unexpectedly.

It was the turnout market. I had backed 58-62% in August, and it was paid out in January. I had written this off completely and though the final turnout was lower.

Comment

TBH I don't know how people do it. Also how did this family buy a house with a mortgage of only 1k a month? Running a car and a few other bits just can't be in there.
                                                                                                                        Simples. Buy in December 2011! Think we're paying €880 after interest relief on a gaf that would go for a shade over 400 now

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                          Interest relief - tell me more. Does that get allowed at source or how do I hook myself up with it? I paid my first mortgage payment in December.
                                                                                                                          Open to correction, but it's not applicable for recent mortgage. The December 2011 that Zuut mentioned might have been the cut off.
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Mellor; 23-02-17, 09:25.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X