X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by careca View Post
    @Tar

did you pack those trousers in plastic or were they still in the pack?

if you packed them in plastic before stacking them, then I need to hire you to sort out my wifes wardrobe.
    They came in the pack but I'm being ingenious and leaving them in the pack when tehy are clean. I have a lot of bubblewrap that I could use with her?

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
    Well the hero's range should not include any hands really that hit straight draws on the flop, so it's weighted towards pairs like Jx which have made trips and big fds, some of which would contain Qx. Having said that, I don't think it's good to have a calling range from the SB in 6 max anyway.
    I have used pokersnowie a bit and it's generally recognised to be a much better tool for HU as opposed to 6max
    I had a nice little lol at you being a cardshark, hovering around the bbv in the vain hope that there will be a poker hand to analyse.

Hasn't been enough yogurt drama since I left the thread and went to Tesco, so i thought I'd spice things up, come at me brahs.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Hasn't been enough yogurt drama since I left the thread and went to Tesco, so i thought I'd spice things up, come at me brahs.

have been dying try that! does it taste like yogurt. whats the sugar content
      Her sky-ness
      © 5starpool

Comment

Work away Dobby with the Strike action dates.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
          Au contraire. Cardshark is still playing online poker professionally (right?), and not tournaments either. I would love to hear a bit about it, how it's been going, what the game is like these days, stakes, money being made etc. Genuinely would.
          I'd be just as keen to hear what Buenos Aires is like or has he moved on to somewhere better/different.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

We're talking nearly 50g of the sweet stuff in this bad boy, mouth watering carb goodness.

It's pretty amazing, main problem is it's hard to not eat the whole tub at once, so I don't even try.
            Apparently it's 4 servings, fuck that.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
              quotes are taken directly from Sky and I haven't altered them.

It was a genuine question to get fans thoughts. Klopp has been linked but it seems the LFC board are happy with Rodgers. Try giving an opinion instead of going off on one.
              I didn't imply you altered them. The first quote you mentioned was said in a sarcastic manner regarding how the press report on these things. The second was pretty much the only answer he could give on the spot, "I'd say Klopp would be better" was always an unlikely answer.

Apologies for the winky emoticon, bloody phone.

Comment

For the recent haters of humans of new york, I bring you humans of waterford:

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiery Wasabi View Post
                  The Minister is a cunt obviously, and the NTA are a faceless Quango who decide on a whim the way things are to be run, without a thought for the effects on those who actually drive the buses/trains etc.
                  Nothing against you personally but this post encapsulates the sense of entitlement that dogs public services in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                    Nothing against you personally but this post encapsulates the sense of entitlement that dogs public services in this country.
                    The issue with the tendering though is that because the NTA control the routes / timetables / issue the buses / dictate a lot of operational policy the only thing left to compete on is...wages and conditions for the drivers. It also means that the public is unlikely to see any benefit or difference in tendering. As such, the affect of the whole thing will be to lower wages, nothing more.

I'd be out striking in that scenario. I get the sense that many drivers would be open to changes, etc but the NTA setup mitigates against DB driving change themselves.
                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Excellent New Yorker insight into the genesis of music and movie piracy both online and IRL...

The Man Who Broke the Music Business

Comment

For the recent haters of humans of new york, I bring you humans of waterford:

https://www.facebook.com/humansofwat...type=1&fref=nf
                        Stolen.
                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                          The issue with the tendering though is that because the NTA control the routes / timetables / issue the buses / dictate a lot of operational policy the only thing left to compete on is...wages and conditions for the drivers. It also means that the public is unlikely to see any benefit or difference in tendering. As such, the affect of the whole thing will be to lower wages, nothing more.

I'd be out striking in that scenario. I get the sense that many drivers would be open to changes, etc but the NTA setup mitigates against DB driving change themselves.
                          I will happily concede that DB appear far more flexible, organised and open to change than Irish Fail.

The employees are still 100% convinced the service is run for their sole benefit though. So yeah, push this through so the likes of Denny and myself can indulge our deepest neoliberal fantasies.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                            have been dying try that! does it taste like yogurt. whats the sugar content
                            We give that to the babby, he refuses to agree on it's dietary benefits and tips it onto his table and finger paints . Yesterday's painting 'anquish at the watering hole' was comtemporary and yet there were hints of many of the classics in it. I tried to preserve it in tissue but his snot beard got in my hair and n my neck so I ran for cover.
                            Last edited by Solskjaer; 23-04-15, 21:40. Reason: there/their correction. that cuntkaroo is watching.

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
                              I didn't imply you altered them. The first quote you mentioned was said in a sarcastic manner regarding how the press report on these things. The second was pretty much the only answer he could give on the spot, "I'd say Klopp would be better" was always an unlikely answer.

Apologies for the winky emoticon, bloody phone.

Rogers is a genius and needs to remain where he is until I no longer need to be cheered.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                I will happily concede that DB appear far more flexible, organised and open to change than Irish Fail.

The employees are still 100% convinced the service is run for their sole benefit though. So yeah, push this through so the likes of Denny and myself can indulge our deepest neoliberal fantasies.
                                I obviously understand the argument for competition and privatisation in general, though even the most ardent believers in the free market should understand that transport is an exception as it is a public service that will always require service on loss making routes.

The problem is that such an understanding means we have a Public body to ensure the totality of service but they control so much that it is impossible to compete on operational efficiencies and therefore privatisation will offer no benefit or change to the end customer.

One can then decide to just shrug their shoulders and say 'fuck it', makes no difference to me anyway so let the drivers earn less money. But I think it's a hard one to defend and I can understand the frustration DB drivers have with the NTA and the tendering.
                                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Satnav if you want a smoking hot body, ignore all the diet advice on here and contact these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                    Satnav if you want a smoking hot body, ignore all the diet advice on here and contact these guys.

http://www.islandcrematorium.ie/
                                    Actually I do want to be cremated now that you mention it, but want the ashes to kept by loved ones , we have our plot bought but we both want to be cremated lol stupid really
                                    Her sky-ness
                                    © 5starpool

Comment

I post one silly 50nl poker hand on twitter and all these poker players start following me? Wtf how do people find people like this on twitter, some even commenting on it. Ah I'll never understand it.

Comment

Actually I do want to be cremated now that you mention it, but want the ashes to kept by loved ones , we have our plot bought but we both want to be cremated lol stupid really
                                        Ashes stuffed into a large firework..BOOM... !

Do you want to have your mothers ashes ?
                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

no way! she is beside me now and its uncomfortable lol
                                          Her sky-ness
                                          © 5starpool

Comment

no way! she is beside me now and its uncomfortable lol
                                            So what makes you think your children want yours ?
                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Keeping ashes is a bit weird imo, that'snot the person, the person is gone, their body doesn't matter. On that point burying people and thinking they are dead and exist at that spot to visit is weird too.

Comment

sell it to cannibals as Ready Brek

Comment

This xfiles quote is how I imagine people reacting with satnav

Scully: "It's not ice cream. It's a non-fat tofutti rice dreamsicle."

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Keeping ashes is a bit weird imo, that'snot the person, the person is gone, their body doesn't matter. On that point burying people and thinking they are dead and exist at that spot to visit is weird too.
                                                      It would be easier to say, plant a tree if people need a place to go and remember the loved one they lost, like a point of contact.

But, its the thing you do when you have kids isnt it, bring them to visit a graveside...every fuckin sunday, and end up being more upset leaving it than when you came...for years on end...me ? bitter? nahhh.
                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

tootlepip, off to Sweden tomorrow morn early to see how god intented the hot pants to be worn. Then off to the 90th birthday of a very sharp ol gal. My wee lad will be on the plane with us at 10.15am and no doubt annoying the Swedish Strewelpeters in the middle seats . Any advice from parents on how to keep him quiet for the flight are welcome. (no maddy drugs advice please) he is 15 months.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                            But yet most private bus services in the country are better than the public alternatives... And we know the only reason the Dublin Bus to the airport is any good is because they had to up their game. Same as how Aer Lingus had to respond to Ryanair.

Actually the Bus Eireann routes tend to be more competitively priced and more frequent where they have to compete with a rival. Really wish I could remember a specific example - think it was something about some route to Navan costing ridiculously more than longer routes elsewhere due to no-one else competing on that route.

(but that competition case isn't happening - there's no competition within routes only for routes, so its not like the bin carnage).

Its all moot anyway, due to EU legislation - Dublin is not allowed to have a monopoly bus provider - can't be undone now. So there can be scratching and moaning, and there will be, but it is a done deal.
                                                            Private bus routes exist on profitable routes where they have the freedom to meet their time table to demand. The public routes are controlled by the NTA, not Dublin Bus. Like it or lump it, once you are forced to run off peak buses on unprofitable routes your service will be compromised.

And this is still a monopoly in so far as the NTA still dictate the fares / routes / timetables / bus models. You will notice no difference as a customer. So all we're doing is forcing wages and conditions down.

Comment

It would be easier to say, plant a tree if people need a place to go and remember the loved one they lost, like a point of contact.

But, its the thing you do when you have kids isnt it, bring them to visit a graveside...every fuckin sunday, and end up being more upset leaving it than when you came...for years on end...me ? bitter? nahhh.
                                                              Family's did this? That's completely nuts!

I've never heard of anyone going to the grave of a dead relative every week maybe the first anniversary and then maybe 5/10 years after.
                                                              I've already told my family if I was to die young (I'm 27) to cremate me and dump me where ever they want, the beach if they have the time.

Comment

It really is. That's how Ryanair competed so well with Aer Lingus - it wasn't on wages. The problem is that its the drivers who get the short end of the stick, when its almost certainly nothing to do with them - its actually the operations management.

Its big things like how they have a bus depot in the richest part of Dublin, not near any of their workers, and losing a fortune in opportunity cost on that land, while leading to buses being out of operation for much longer than they need to be. (Ryanair equivalent here on turnaround times -> work out how to use the buses for 20% more time)

Its not using sufficiently advanced technology to map route demand to maximise customers.

Its having a few hundred people in the hr office when the vast bulk of what hr do should be computerised.

Its having an effective marketing campaign to get people on the buses vs using their car (e.g leap customers who have topped up in the last month get free Sunday travel for their family, something anyway)

Its offering premium buses for premium prices on certain routes at certain times (like the SanFran luxury bus).

There's so many things an alternative nimble provider can do, that a monopolist will just never do, because they don't have to. Like Aer Lingus didn't when it didn't have to. Or Eircom, which laughed at the idea of decent broadband until UPC started rapidly bankrupting them.
                                                                Eh, I'm not sure you understand the influence of the NTA on the current scenario.

Comment

Comment

It's a ridiculous tradition, generally a terrible thing to do to children imo, not healthy.

I like your idea, something like this but no need for the ashes tbh

It really is. That's how Ryanair competed so well with Aer Lingus - it wasn't on wages. The problem is that its the drivers who get the short end of the stick, when its almost certainly nothing to do with them - its actually the operations management.

Its big things like how they have a bus depot in the richest part of Dublin, not near any of their workers, and losing a fortune in opportunity cost on that land, while leading to buses being out of operation for much longer than they need to be. (Ryanair equivalent here on turnaround times -> work out how to use the buses for 20% more time)

Its not using sufficiently advanced technology to map route demand to maximise customers.

Its having a few hundred people in the hr office when the vast bulk of what hr do should be computerised.

Its having an effective marketing campaign to get people on the buses vs using their car (e.g leap customers who have topped up in the last month get free Sunday travel for their family, something anyway)

Its offering premium buses for premium prices on certain routes at certain times (like the SanFran luxury bus).

There's so many things an alternative nimble provider can do, that a monopolist will just never do, because they don't have to. Like Aer Lingus didn't when it didn't have to. Or Eircom, which laughed at the idea of decent broadband until UPC started rapidly bankrupting them.
                                                                    I wonder, are Dublin bus still not able to use the money that is paid extra because it may be collected? Even years later? That was the case years ago.

Comment

Fking bloody typical, you wait for ages for a post on Dublin Bus and then several of them arrive at once.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                                                          Family's did this? That's completely nuts!

I've never heard of anyone going to the grave of a dead relative every week maybe the first anniversary and then maybe 5/10 years after.
                                                                          30 years when my dad passed away, it must have went on for 4 or 5 years, i was only 12 at the time so you can imagine how much i understood and how much t was explained.

If it happened now i am sure you would be giving a 12 year old some sort of grief counseling and trying to talk about what happened rather than just get on with life, then again my mother was only 36 and had a 15, 12 and 5 year old to look after.
                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

My follow on post is better. I don't think the tenders are as precise as you are letting on btw - you seem to be suggesting they are saying 'you must be exactly like Dublin Bus and do the exact same as them' - that would be a bizarre approach to the opening up of the market. Having said that I wouldn't put anything past the NTA!
                                                                            You have to do the same routes at the same times for the same fares using the same buses. I'll see no difference as an end customer.

Some of your points may hold such as marketing or less antiquated computing, I'm not sure. But again, when your subsidy is fixed and you are told when to run buses that have been provided for you I'm not sure where that motivation to aggressively market is there either.

I think you are championing benefits that are theoretically sound but will not apply to the way this 'privatisation' will work in practice.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Am I completely through the looking glass here? It might be because I'm bleary-eyed from work but...

Just realised my mistake. Edit save.
                                                                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

...

Comment

30 years when my dad passed away, it must have went on for 4 or 5 years, i was only 12 at the time so you can imagine how much i understood and how much t was explained.

If it happened now i am sure you would be giving a 12 year old some sort of grief counseling and trying to talk about what happened rather than just get on with life, then again my mother was only 36 and had a 15, 12 and 5 year old to look after.
                                                                                      Actually I could see some reason when a young wife/family loses their husband/father especially early on. That's a lot of grief to deal with and if it helps it helps.

I was thinking more along the lines of going to the graves of Grandfather/Grandmother/Uncles/Aunts/Cousins etc on a weekly basis.
                                                                                      My family have always been their gone, grieve but put it behind you as quick as you can and move on. No talking about it to the kids though, the Irish way.

Comment

ha, just when i went to correct with a somewhat miffed manner!
                                                                                        My brain literally just kicked back into gear and I had to ninja edit.

Close one...
                                                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

...

Comment

I think we'll both agree to agree that its a fairly shite privatisation then
                                                                                            And also why you'd be frustrated as an employee when you're company can only compete by lowering your terms and little else.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                                                                              Actually I could see some reason when a young wife/family loses their husband/father especially early on. That's a lot of grief to deal with and if it helps it helps.

I was thinking more along the lines of going to the graves of Grandfather/Grandmother/Uncles/Aunts/Cousins etc on a weekly basis.
                                                                                              My family have always been their gone, grieve but put it behind you as quick as you can and move on. No talking about it to the kids though, the Irish way.
                                                                                              You take those "feelings" and bury them deep, deep within you. Only to surface late at night in middle age full of cheap wine.
                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

...
                                                                                                Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 23-04-15, 22:50.

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
                                                                                                  You're like a tabloid rag, taking quotes out of context. Read the tactical genius bit again.
                                                                                                  I guess I can't help myself:

You post something on a public discussion board it is up for discussion. Maybe you'll get the hang of it eventually.

Dobby would you have any opinion on Lloyd failing to deny charges of steroid usage?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                    Dobby would you have any opinion on Lloyd failing to deny charges of steroid usage?
                                                                                                    Can confirm that this is Lloyds site. He will kill again.

Tread carefully.

Comment

The way children were treated back then is ridiculous imo, seen and not heard.
                                                                                                      My ex was told her grandfather was sick when she was a child, so she made him a card, spent ages on it, drawing, colouring blah blah and was looking forward to seeing him. Then she was promptly brought to his funeral, he was actually dead and she wasn't told anything.
                                                                                                      She also spent every day with her grandmother and was there when she died, not a word said to her about it, stuff like that can scar children.

Comment

Dom ask gavonator bout the trains next time you see him-hes an ex-train driver

I have quizzed him about it before-He did not like the job

Comment

Should post this at the weekend instead when people can watch a lengthy vid. Ridic wrong but ridic good vid.

The fifth of the HERO3+ Adventure Series.The GoPro production crew journeys to Africa to explore the danger and beauty of Kevin Richardson's passions for lio...

Comment

"Yum, these "diet brand" meals/sausages/yogurts/cakes/crisps are great. 20% less calories and guilt free so I ate the whole packet"

runs away

Olly looks the picture of health primarily achieved through discipline and application. If anyone wants to look like that, read his posts. If you don't, cool.
                                                                                                            Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                            Just because you don't agree with a diet, don't be acting like what Olly is doing is the best diet in the world. I don't agree with it at all.
                                                                                                            This bit lost me. What's Olly doing?

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                              Am I missing something? What's our hand?
                                                                                                              oops. k4s
                                                                                                              Last edited by Denny Crane; 24-04-15, 02:08.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                                                                                Well the hero's range should not include any hands really that hit straight draws on the flop, so it's weighted towards pairs like Jx which have made trips and big fds, some of which would contain Qx. Having said that, I don't think it's good to have a calling range from the SB in 6 max anyway.
                                                                                                                I have used pokersnowie a bit and it's generally recognised to be a much better tool for HU as opposed to 6max
                                                                                                                Wasn't sure if I'd get a serious response or not , I agreed with most of the other answers alright, and realised I was wrong on a couple of others, but just found this one questionable (obv I'm 5+ years behind the game at this stage)
                                                                                                                Last edited by Denny Crane; 24-04-15, 02:09.

Comment

I obviously understand the argument for competition and privatisation in general, though even the most ardent believers in the free market should understand that transport is an exception as it is a public service that will always require service on loss making routes.

The problem is that such an understanding means we have a Public body to ensure the totality of service but they control so much that it is impossible to compete on operational efficiencies and therefore privatisation will offer no benefit or change to the end customer.

One can then decide to just shrug their shoulders and say 'fuck it', makes no difference to me anyway so let the drivers earn less money. But I think it's a hard one to defend and I can understand the frustration DB drivers have with the NTA and the tendering.
                                                                                                                  Think you underestimate the stronger drive across a private organisation for efficiency versus a fully state backed loss making public one, just talking to my friend tonight about this and he mentioned a driver refused to let him on a bus at the weekend and instead pulled off early leaving him high and dry on a 24yoyo fare. I know on the private service that runs near my parents place some of the drivers operate their own vehicles and are incentivised about the tight service they run; they wouldn't have left him behind. A 7 day, 850k journey strike says it all about what they think of the customer tbh. Would have to imagine there's plenty of humps that DB could do without if push came to shove, and plenty of other savings to be made long before they touched drivers pay, I remember seeing recently a BE driver on the go from when I was a teenager who unashamedly offers discount fares for cut, how long would he last under private tender?

BE most efficient service is the Dundalk to Dublin one, solely because of the private competition, in the old days it cost twice as much and people would just go to a bus stop and wait and hope a bus would turn up. Even the difference in drive between the two companies is immense, in the snow and ice they where out trying to find a way to de-ice the roads to continue the service, there's way more gains to be had than just drivers wages. Roll on 2019 imo.
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 24-04-15, 02:53.

Comment

Google's new Project Fi mobile network sounds really interesting. They are operating a similar model to Tesco in that they rent the network of the big operator except Google are using 2 networks and switching you to the strongest one all the time. Only available in the US though

Comment

Google obviously providing weed in the think tank. Terribly lazy idea.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                                                        Google obviously providing weed in the think tank. Terribly lazy idea.
                                                                                                                        Why?
                                                                                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

NASDAQ back to its all-time peak. Hit 15 years ago.

Reminds me of just how insane the dotcom era was. Remember being a young w\banker at the time and just thinking 'this is beyond nuts'. Friend of my dad's turned 100k into 3m in 18 months day trading it. Where's our bubble Joe? Oh yeah.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X