This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gov binning Dart Underground:

Proposals for the highly ambitious Dart underground project are set to be parked, as the Coalition puts the finishing touches to its multi-billion-euro capital spending spree.

"Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
      Ah c'mon! There isn't room to turn around in it.

Curious to see what happens this. Location is amazing but the place is just so small. Could be cool if you could buy next door down the line at a similar price and knock them together.

Comment

Dart underground sounds like a massive waste of resources.

Some proper rapid bus transit routes would make sense.
        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
          Ah c'mon! There isn't room to turn around in it.

Curious to see what happens this. Location is amazing but the place is just so small. Could be cool if you could buy next door down the line at a similar price and knock them together.
          S'all relative. Look at the prices being sought for 'similar sized' (couple are clearly much better) gafs!

- http://myhome.ie/residential/brochur...blin-6/3327887
          - http://myhome.ie/residential/brochur...dublin/3243488
          - http://myhome.ie/residential/brochur...lin-6w/3315900
          - http://myhome.ie/residential/brochur...blin-2/3299845

Comment

We viewed one of these when we first moved to Dublin. They were built in the 20s to house single young men starting out at Guinness's. To call them basic would be a massive understatement. The price seems low for the location but you haven't seen the inside...
            Last edited by AndyFatBastard; 08-09-15, 16:05.
            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
              Location, location, location and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                Dart underground sounds like a massive waste of resources.

Some proper rapid bus transit routes would make sense.
                I agree and some chance it comes in at €4bn. Digging through the centre of town will be held up forever as we find skiploads of viking pottery and ancient bits.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                  Gov binning Dart Underground:

Proposals for the highly ambitious Dart underground project are set to be parked, as the Coalition puts the finishing touches to its multi-billion-euro capital spending spree.

Aren't they going to use the Phoenix Park tunnel to provide some degree of connection?
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                    We viewed one of these when we first moved to Dublin. They were built in the 20s to house single young men starting out at Guinness's. To call them basic would be a massive understatement. The price seems low for the location but you haven't seen the inside...
                    A friend of mine bought one of those for, if I remember correctly, less than 10K in the early 90's
                    I think he offloaded it for something about 90 early in the boom.
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                      I agree and some chance it comes in at €4bn. Digging through the centre of town will be held up forever as we find skiploads of viking pottery and ancient bits.
                      Sorry I am also against the bendy buses clogging the city up. Luas is the way to go since we are already rebuilding part of it and will have the guys in place for it already.

Comment

Dart Underground was a first step to linking commuter rail to the airport and wider national system. You don't build transport for the city you have now but the city you'll have in the future. The LUAS proposal is undercapacity / slow / unsuitable for airport travellers. And the best bit? It won't get any closer than a half mile of the terminals.

Dart Underground plugged the airport into the country. A LUAS track is a mere option for the North Inner City / Swords chosen because it's cheaper and an easier sell. Great for commuter out that way (though good luck getting on it at peak time when it's built) but a solution for airport connectivity or wider Dublin Transport it is not.

Short term 'win election' thinking. Gobshites.
                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                          Aren't they going to use the Phoenix Park tunnel to provide some degree of connection?
                          Sorry, yes but it isn't any replacement for DU as it doesn't provide any significant increase in linking capacity through the city centre. It basically means the Kildare line can go to Connolly, but it doesn't join the two stations:

Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 08-09-15, 16:51.

Comment

D
                            Dart Underground was a first step to linking commuter rail to the airport and wider national system. You don't build transport for the city you have now but the city you'll have in the future. The LUAS proposal is undercapacity / slow / unsuitable for airport travellers. And the best bit? It won't get any closer than a half mile of the terminals.

Dart Underground plugged the airport into the country. A LUAS track is a mere option for the North Inner City / Swords chosen because it's cheaper and an easier sell. Great for commuter out that way (though good luck getting on it at peak time when it's built) but a solution for airport connectivity or wider Dublin Transport it is not.

Short term 'win election' thinking. Gobshites.
                            FF are the gobshites you should be blaming - they're the ones who fucked up our public finances for the next couple of decades.

But there is a solution -privatise it. Government can't afford to build it. Put the entire public sector system out to private tender. Ka-boom.

Comment

Sorry, yes but it isn't any replacement for DU as it doesn't provide any significant increase in linking capacity through the city centre. It basically means the Kildare line can go to Connolly, but it doesn't join the two stations:

http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0818/72202...tunnel-dublin/
                              Better than getting off in Heuston and getting a Luas though. We're not playing with a full deck of fiscal options - this is reality.

DART underground was never going to happen from 2008 onwards. Nobody should be surprised, including you!

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                Sorry I am also against the bendy buses clogging the city up. Luas is the way to go since we are already rebuilding part of it and will have the guys in place for it already.
                                How about another option: build a new city?

Somewhere out by Ashbourne. I'm thinking 'Duke City'.

I'm full of ideas today.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                  Anybody been to The Wolf of Wall St one day seminar thingy?

Is it a crock of shit of is it decent?

An being pushed into gong to it in the RDS this Saturday.
                                  One of the lads from work went last year. Crock of shit unless you like playing Simon says

Originally posted by Irish Examiner
                                  As he talks, he prowls the stage, slapping the back of his right hand into the palm of his left. He tells everyone to stand up. “Say, Yes,” he says. “Yes,” the audience respond.

“Louder,” he says. They turn it up a bit. “Slap your right hand in your left,” he says.

They do. “High five the person next to you.” They do. “Give somebody a hug”.

Comment

Do we really need a rail option for the airport? I thought the feasibility studies all said that buses were >>> any rail option?

Main thing Dublin needs to do is build up.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                        Do we really need a rail option for the airport? I thought the feasibility studies all said that buses were >>> any rail option?

Main thing Dublin needs to do is build up.
                                        Duke City will have no height restrictions.

Comment

New shop opening in Malahide on Saturday (hopefully).
                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Airport rail is one of the few transport projects which will actually pay its way and return you the investment in a couple of decades.
                                            Not sure which particular feasilibity studies you mean but in general buses >>> rail options is going to be the result of just about any study, cause, you know, dirt cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                              Airport rail is one of the few transport projects which will actually pay its way and return you the investment in a couple of decades.
                                              Not sure which particular feasilibity studies you mean but in general buses >>> rail options is going to be the result of just about any study, cause, you know, dirt cheap.
                                              I think we had this exact same discussion before (can't remember if I agreed with you or not!). But I think the report said both the rail and metro options are going to be slower than buses.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                Cool. Privatise that motherfucka.

Comment

I think we had this exact same discussion before (can't remember if I agreed with you or not!). But I think the report said both the rail and metro options are going to be slower than buses.

4 years on. Progress

Comment

I think we had this exact same discussion before. As far I can remember both the rail and metro options are going to be slower than buses.
                                                    Discussion rings a bell alright. Rail (Luas I think is what they've decided) is likely slower than the best bus time, but brings much better reliability to times. Buses being an average of say 27 mins is no good if 5% of the journeys take 70 minutes because of terrible weather/traffic etc. Better an average of 30 minutes by Luas with 99.5% of journeys being within a minute of that 30.

At some stage of the discussion I think you say theres great fast bus links to Dublin Airport and then I ask how often anyone has got the bus from say Schippol to AmDam even though the bus is quicker - because tourists always feel better with the nice train that they know exactly how long it will take, where it will leave them etc. Deja vu.

edit : Lol. WP.

Comment

I got from Kildare to the airport in 35 minutes, it was meant to be 30.
                                                      You can get to the city in 30 minutes from the airport via aircoach.

It takes 90-120 minutes to get across the city via bus for me at peak times, 15k
                                                      BRT is the way to go.

And also building into the sky.

Comment

Ahhhh UTV Ireland, the bastard child of ITV

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                          Cool. Privatise that motherfucka.
                                                          Am I the only one who could never see you using this language in words.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by poprock View Post
                                                              haha wolf of wall street seminar, roped in me fanny, either you want to go or too afraid to admit you are a gullible idiot, only exception to this rule if your work is paying for this shitshow and paying your days wages

you see the prices of this shit,

looks like the ad from one of those torrent sites

"for just 499dollars you can suck my balls"

The tickets were €35 each. It was bought for me by my GF who was interested in going but didn't want to go on her own so asked me to go with her

I neither want or don't want to go, I'm completely neutral on it but agreed to go because that's what couples do sometimes, go with flow of the other person

I actually thought it was just an interview/talk with him, it was only when I saw the ticket, I realised it was a full day event, hence I asked if anybody knew what it was about

The fact you know it's a shitshow, I presume you have been? Did you pay $499? Were you a gullible idiot or did your work pay for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                Building their second underground here in Rennes at the moment. Train every two-three minutes for 19 hours a day. The key is: build it fully automated. Train drives itself, never a single person at any station. Doors between platform and rail, so no safety risks. Even if it costs a bomb to build it must be massively cash positive from the day it opens. Heard that's the way all the undergrounds are being built now, but wonder if they gave it serious consideration for DART underground.
                                                                The unions at CIE wouldn't stand for that Hitch.

Comment

We should have waited til the Brits built us an underground before running them.

Comment

There should be a Luas tannoy message at Store St. for GAA fans who are coming in from Heuston to tell them they are as well getting off now instead of waiting at lights to travel another 45yds they dont need to travel.

Comment

Watch one brief clip of that insipid WOWS knob being interviewed and you ought to realise you wouldn't listen to him for free if the opportunity arose.

Comment

Dear Mona, I masturbate eight times per week. Am I normal? Brandon, 31, New York Dear Brandon, It’s normal to not feel normal about something that’s often regar…

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                          There should be a Luas tannoy message at Store St. for GAA fans who are coming in from Heuston to tell them they are as well getting off now instead of waiting at lights to travel another 45yds they dont need to travel.
                                                                          They should also put cameras on every junction and 200 penalty points to every fucker who stops their car on the luas tracks. Amazing how many cunce think it's NBD to hold up 200+ people because you can't be arsed waiting for the lights to change.
                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                              They should also put cameras on every junction and 200 penalty points to every fucker who stops their car on the luas tracks. Amazing how many cunce think it's NBD to hold up 200+ people because you can't be arsed waiting for the lights to change.
                                                                              They should put a snowplough thing on the front instead and encourage the Luas to just push the offending cars out of the way.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                  Heard this today: guy at work was called into our big bosses' office. Boss goes: 'you're fcking too many students, can you try to be a bit more subtle about it?'. Guy goes 'grand'. Conversation over, and they both go on their merry ways. Now I clearly wasn't there for the discussion so cant vouch for its pure accuracy but it sounds about right from a few other things I've heard. The guy in question was a bit peeved afterwards at even being asked that; although he did relay the whole story in a rather proud manner.
                                                                                  I'm sure it happened ages ago, but I'm still going to note that it's a good thing that you reinstated the usage of 'I' into your posts.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                        They should put a snowplough thing on the front instead and encourage the Luas to just push the offending cars out of the way.
                                                                                        I think we've hit upon the nut job.

Comment

Rooney breaks the England goal scoring record with a penalty. What a luckbox.

Comment

Only Andorra, Malta, San Marino and Gibraltar have spent more time behind in matches in this campaign than Holland. #AJfacts.

Comment

Been a few years since I've been at the Picnic and its fairly unrecognisable especially from its early roots. I thought the venue handled the large crowd rather well but I can see why others who have been spoilt by the Picnic's smaller crowds over its history had issues with the extra capacity. I think having been to Glastonbury over the last few years meant it wasn't nearly as much a shock to myselfas congestion, crowds and the the stages themselves are far, far worse at Glasto. I still found outside of most of the mainstream muck, the tents were quiet enough and could get fairly close to the front without hassel.

The corporate sponsorship was comical. Heineken area, E-lites area, Electric Ireland area, Barcardi bar, Orchard Thieves area, 3Plus area, Red bull area, Cocktail Cocktail area, Surf Laundry Disco, Sure deodorant tent. It was fucking ridiculous. Barcardi were the only ones that made an effort with their venue. All the rest of them with very little imagination but just big horrible tents.

I have very found memories of EP especially in those very early years when the lineup was heavily electronica influenced with such a great crowd. This is a completely different festival for the most part. It still retains some wonderful elements and I still had a great time but it did feel like the beginning of the end and if they add another 10k next year it will probably tip it over the edge. I don't know if this has been bleeding into the event slowly or the lack of it this year meant a first year overflow but the festival seems to have absorbed a lot of what one might term the Oxegen demographic. It was very evident in the campsites near the main arena. Place was a tip, tent burnings and really unsavoury crowds in parts. Usually when a decent portion of that crowd start appearing at a festival it is overun in future years.

Opr

Comment

FU sweden

bottlers

Comment

Also, Radcliffe named in parliament enquiry as the athlete who sought a super injunction over the IAAF leak. Shocked (not shocked).

Former British world champion issues 1,700-word statement furiously denying allegations that emerged in a Parliamentary enquiry

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                                                                    FU sweden

bottlers
                                                                                                    ??
                                                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Random question, but has anyone's work or local sport club ran an Operation Transformation kind of challenge/event? We're looking at running one in our local club.

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
                                                                                                        Random question, but has anyone's work or local sport club ran an Operation Transformation kind of challenge/event? We're looking at running one in our local club.
                                                                                                        Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                          ??
                                                                                                          Euro 2016 Qualifiers - England v Switzerland - England @ 4/5
                                                                                                          Euro 2016 Qualifiers - Macedonia v Spain - Spain @ 1/7
                                                                                                          Euro 2016 Qualifiers - Liechtenstein v Russia - Russia @ 1/10
                                                                                                          Euro 2016 Qualifiers - Lithuania v San Marino - Lithuania @ 1/12
                                                                                                          Euro 2016 Qualifiers - Slovenia v Estonia - Slovenia @ 1/2
                                                                                                          Euro 2016 Qualifiers - Moldova v Montenegro - Montenegro @ 10/11
                                                                                                          Euro 2016 Qualifiers - Sweden v Austria - Sweden @ 5/4
                                                                                                          Euro 2016 Qualifiers - Slovakia v Ukraine - Draw @ 2/1

Football Acca

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                                                                            Euro 2016 Qualifiers - England v Switzerland - England @ 4/5
                                                                                                            Euro 2016 Qualifiers - Macedonia v Spain - Spain @ 1/7
                                                                                                            Euro 2016 Qualifiers - Liechtenstein v Russia - Russia @ 1/10
                                                                                                            Euro 2016 Qualifiers - Lithuania v San Marino - Lithuania @ 1/12
                                                                                                            Euro 2016 Qualifiers - Slovenia v Estonia - Slovenia @ 1/2
                                                                                                            Euro 2016 Qualifiers - Moldova v Montenegro - Montenegro @ 10/11
                                                                                                            Euro 2016 Qualifiers - Sweden v Austria - Sweden @ 5/4
                                                                                                            Euro 2016 Qualifiers - Slovakia v Ukraine - Draw @ 2/1

Football Acca
                                                                                                            Oh, they've a pretty awful team these days though, didn't get the bottler part, beaten by a better team.
                                                                                                            Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                                              We should have waited til the Brits built us an underground before running them.
                                                                                                              Interestingly our grand alternative to DartUnderground is the re-opening of the Phoenix Park Tunnel, dug by the Victorians in 187x. I suppose we should be thankful that we didn't let Zoe build subterranean apartments on it after we closed it.

Comment

Yo DP just seen this in the other place regarding shipping -

I created a ticket to enquire about the shipping times and this is the reply that I received:
                                                                                                                For OnePlus Two, there is a slight adjustment on order processing time at the beginning (until further notice), details as below:
                                                                                                                For standard shipping: 8-17 business days after an order is placed (5-10 business days for processing + 3-7 business days for delivery);
                                                                                                                For express shipping: 7-15 business days after an order is placed (5-10 business days for processing + 2-5 business days for delivery);
                                                                                                                Thank you for your understanding. Let me know if you have any other questions.
                                                                                                                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Joeseph O' Brien retiring at the end of the season . Going to to train jumpers for JP.

Comment

Is this Rigger/CHD on a piss take?

Comment

Has anyone here ever seen U2 live? They're playing the 3arena for 4 nights in November for anyone that's interested. 23rd, 24th, 27th, 28th.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                                        Has anyone here ever seen U2 live? They're playing the 3arena for 4 nights in November for anyone that's interested. 23rd, 24th, 27th, 28th.
                                                                                                                        It's 2015

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                                          Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                                          It's 2015
                                                                                                                          2001 Slane

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X